PDA

View Full Version : Purported Physical Model of 'iPad Mini' Surfaces

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/purported-physical-model-of-ipad-mini-surfaces/)

Just after posting photos of a purported metal engineering sample (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/new-photos-of-next-generation-iphone-engineering-sample-massing/) of the next-generation iPhone's massing, Gotta Be Mobile has now posted photos of a similar physical model of the "iPad mini" (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/10/ipad-mini-engineering-photos/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipad_mini_model_front.jpg
The model appears to be a case maker's mold that shows the basic shape of the device, so it is unknown whether it accurately reflects the device's form factor. While case designs have proven accurate a number of times in the past, a significant number of case makers were fooled into designing for a tapered iPhone design last year that did not come to fruition.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipad_mini_model_edge.jpg
According to the report, a pixel count on the photos suggests that the iPad mini will measure approximately 213 mm by 143 mm and be slightly thinner than the full-size iPad.What we've found, using a pixel count, is that the iPad Mini should be around 213.36mm tall and about 143.67mm wide. This is approximately two-thirds of the size of the new third-generation iPad. The new iPad is 185.67mm wide, 241.3mm tall, and 9.39mm thick.

Google's Nexus 7 tablet has a width of 120mm which means that the iPad Mini, if our calculations are close, might be around 23.67mm wider than the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 tablet measures in at 198.5mm high which means that the iPad Mini may be a little taller than Google's 7-inch tablet.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipad_mini_model_thickness.jpg
The mockup also includes a smaller dock connector as has been rumored by a number of sources, as well as two speaker grilles along the bottom edge of the device.

Article Link: Purported Physical Model of 'iPad Mini' Surfaces (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/purported-physical-model-of-ipad-mini-surfaces/)

CrAkD
Jul 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
ya its def happening.

JesterJJZ
New connector scares me.

clukas
only time will tell. But the leak does seem consistent with all the rumours, so it could be genuine.

Akarin
As with each rumors, we are in for seeing a lot of "leaked" models photos having as only purpose to show a site's url plastered in big through the images.

clukas
Jul 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
New connector scares me.

why?

Thunderhawks
Jul 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Home button leak and camera lens next!

waloshin
Jul 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
I wonder what the cost of the adapter will be for the old dock connector to the new one.

Xtremehkr
Jul 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
This reminds me of all of the iPhone 5 cases we saw before the iPhone 4S was released.

APlotdevice
Jul 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
why?

It likely means you'll have to buy all new accessories. Those camera connection kits for instance become useless.

laxic
Jul 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Certainly seems plausible, and I would be glad that they are including the new dock connector with a device this year other than the shiny new iPhone 6 (It's the 6th generation, after all!) I honestly hope they hit a $300 price point and have a 4G LTE option; this form factor would personally be perfect for me, but to each their own.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
This is really gonna be the death of Apple.

Aidan5806
Jul 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
Cool, but pop quiz: where the hell are these models coming from. On the same day. What a coinkidink

URFloorMatt
Jul 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think the new connector is about the only thing that lends credence to the other rumor about a refreshed/refined iPad 3rd gen model also coming this fall. Different ports on difference devices would be the kind of confusion that Apple wants to avoid.

Could mean refreshed models of the entry level iPhone 4 and 4s with the same for carriers when the iPhone 5th gen launches this fall as well.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately we went through all the same stuff with the "iPhone 5" (4s) with rumors and case leaks and such. Meaning it is hard to decipher what this really means, but I really REALLY hope iPad mini is a reality.

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2012, 04:22 PM
I love my iPad, and I love my Android phones; and I was considering picking up a Nexus 7 due to price and Google integration . . . . but a 7" iPad . . . . may change that for sure.

knucklehead
Jul 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
No like fat mini.

keysofanxiety
I'm almost hoping Apple never decide to make this, just so this rumour can die. I mean, it's most likely going to happen, but it's almost being going on since the inception of the iPad. I'm pretty much sick of reading all this speculation!

laxic
It likely means you'll have to buy all new accessories. Those camera connection kits for instance become useless.

Perhaps we have been spoiled with having the same connector for a decade. Also, the prospect of a thunderbolt cable connection, even with the likely exorbitant price, would to me be simply too irresistable. And think of how fast memory card transfers could potentially be with the new dock connector: thunderbolt technology camera connection kit, with speed limited only to that of the SD card (like an E1 reaction... pardon me, organic chemistry stuck in my head. Darn you, MCAT!)

GREEN4U
Jul 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
The new connector is a magsafe you fools.

Navdakilla
Jul 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
one word: sexy

I should cancel my nexus 7 order with all these rumors!!!!

laxic
Jul 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
That new connector looks ugly. Very un-Apple. I call BS on this.

Totally. They should add little unicorn sparkle inlays to each side instead of screws.

powers74
Jul 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Well, looks like this is going down.

justinfreid
Jul 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
I think the new connector is about the only thing that lends credence to the other rumor about a refreshed/refined iPad 3rd gen model also coming this fall. Different ports on difference devices would be the kind of confusion that Apple wants to avoid.

Could mean refreshed models of the entry level iPhone 4 and 4s with the same for carriers when the iPhone 5th gen launches this fall as well.

Good point - but I'm not looking forward to new iDevice connector to 30-pin connector dongles.

ChristianJapan
Jul 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
New connector scares me.
Kind of me too ... (but will not loose sleep over it)

why?
Don't fit in the car anymore.
Don't fit in all those speaker like BW Zepplin.
Don't fit into my private strategy of spreading iPad charger around my place as cable would be different.

I wonder what the cost of the adapter will be for the old dock connector to the new one.
Nah; that's ugly; but let's guess: $19.

It will be a "painful" transition phase until all iDevices in our households got the new connector. So in two to three years we will not care anymore.

laxic
Jul 10, 2012, 04:29 PM

I'd say keep it, then throw it on ebay around when this comes out. You probably will be able to sell it without more than a $30 net loss, and you might really enjoy the Android operating system, especially with 4.1.

ChristianJapan

I would love that !!

kristoffer4
I wonder if two speaker grills means stereo...

Allenbf
Jul 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
Anybody else think the mock up looks like it's made of cheddar cheese?

Poor joke aside, it looks exactly like the mockups of the iPhone 5, right down to the speaker placement(s). Only larger. And slightly thinner than the current iPad, side by side. Would that lend credence or detract from the possibility of Retina? I'm genuinely asking, I have no clue.

DCJ001
Jul 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
New connector scares me.

why?

Some people are averse to change.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 10, 2012, 04:33 PM

The point, obviously. You don't think these "leaks" are *perfectly* timed?

The DRis
Jul 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
New connector scares me.

http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-future-of-apples-dock-connector-feature/

Fresh Pie
Jul 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Well, I hope I don't lose any heterosexual points by saying this: that model is cute!

charlituna
Jul 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
ya its def happening.

Yeah some case maker makes a mold based on rumors and that's proof it is fact.

Ummmmm right

chuitochuito
Jul 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
anyone else notice that the aspect ratio has changed? It's now 16:9. This makes perfect sense if they switch the iPhone to 16:9. This would be a dream for app developers. Also falls inline with future iTV/Apple TV plans.

jz1492
Jul 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
According to the report, a pixel count on the photos suggests that the iPad mini will measure approximately 213 mm by 143 mm ...

Uh?! That's not an iPad Mini. The aspect ratio is wrong.

It's an iPod Touch XL :eek:

cycomiko
Jul 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
Some people are averse to change.

or some people are adverse to change, after they have invested substantially in a certain dock connector, in cars, stereos, chargers, etc only to have a new one pushed onto them.

but.. it also creates the opportunity to look at a different brand. If I am going to have to replace the stuff... then what shall it be replaced with....

lets see your hand apple. Tempt me with Shiny goodness.

troop231
Jul 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
I wonder if two speaker grills means stereo...

Well it's certainly not double Mono lol, that's something Samsung would do :p

APlotdevice
Jul 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Perhaps we have been spoiled with having the same connector for a decade. Also, the prospect of a thunderbolt cable connection, even with the likely exorbitant price, would to me be simply too irresistable. And think of how fast memory card transfers could potentially be with the new dock connector: thunderbolt technology camera connection kit, with speed limited only to that of the SD card (like an E1 reaction... pardon me, organic chemistry stuck in my head. Darn you, MCAT!)

Thunderbolt would be nice, but is EXTREMELY unlikely. For one thing TB is predominantly Intel's baby. They manufacture the controller chips. It's certainly not in their best interests to support ARM-based devices like the iPad.

mentaluproar
Jul 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
I doubt they would do all of this for the sake of thunderbolt. That could theoretically be done with the current dock dock connector (unused pins left over from firewire, etc) However, wifi sync is really simple so I don't see the point of them worrying about that.

I'm almost hoping Apple never decide to make this, just so this rumour can die. I mean, it's most likely going to happen, but it's almost being going on since the inception of the iPad. I'm pretty much sick of reading all this speculation!

The mini iPad has been the desire of, well, the press and thats about it. It's too soon for cook to take a completely different direction from Steve's without pissing off investors anyway.

TouchMint.com
Jul 10, 2012, 04:50 PM
Tbolt would make the chargers cost a ton! so lets hope not.

I have been waiting for something like this to get an ipad. It would be nice if they would just use the non retina ipad res for this ipad min. The screen would still be super sharp and developers would not have to deal with another res for everything. Right now we are looking at soon to be 5 diff res as it is.

2 for ipad and 3 for iphone (if the new iphone is truly bigger).

Krazy Bill
Jul 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
I predict one of these will be lost (then found) at a Hooters bar in 7 weeks.

Lindono
Jul 10, 2012, 04:58 PM

That was a very good read. Thanks.

EDIT: It's worth noting that we have yet to see any actual components of this rumored smaller iPad, which is generally commonplace when approaching a new model's release. A physical model just doesn't do it for me. I need the front glass or the back before I'd believe it.

apolloa
Jul 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
Oh for Gods sake Mac Rumors!!!!! Have you NOT learned from last year and all those endless reports of supposed new iPhone cases you kept posting????

Seriously, this site has the WORST reputation on the net with the old, here's a case for the new rumoured device......

blackcrayon
Jul 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
anyone else notice that the aspect ratio has changed? It's now 16:9. This makes perfect sense if they switch the iPhone to 16:9. This would be a dream for app developers. Also falls inline with future iTV/Apple TV plans.

Huh? Aspect ratio of what? The rumored iPad Mini is the same 4:3 aspect ratio; it'd have to be to have the same 1024 x 768 pixels as the older 2 iPads :)

Edit: Ahh i see what you mean now, this model is not 4:3... The model appears to have a 3:2 aspect ratio, the same as the current iPhone. Seems highly unlikely.

ThunderSkunk
Jul 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'd like an iPad mini, with a secondary display of equal size tucked in the cover, clamshell style.

Mmmm... why does that sound familiar...

Oohara
Jul 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Oh for Gods sake Mac Rumors!!!!! Have you NOT learned from last year and all those endless reports of supposed new iPhone cases you kept posting????

Seriously, this site has the WORST reputation on the net with the old, here's a case for the new rumoured device......
What's in a name, eh? :D

mazz0
Jul 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
Looks to de a different ratio - is that just an illusion?

apolloa
Jul 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
What's in a name, eh? :D

Yeah but this site posted endless apparent mock ups of the next iPhones totally new design case, and we got the iPhone 4S, this site should be going of it's way to present accurate rumours, not made up stuff that we can all post. This site is supposed to have contacts etc where it can get story's from the average Joe cannot.

TheMarc
Jul 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
The aspect ratio of the body doesn't mean anything (or not everything) about the ration of the screen.. The ipad has an even bezel all around, when the nexus has bigger top and bottom bezel than the side ones.
Who knows how the bezel of the mini will look like?
Could be like what the new iphone 5 could be like .. (:p) i.e. screen very close to the side edges to maximize image size while leaving more top and bottom to hold it right.

bushido
Jul 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
looks like my Kindle case :D

knucklehead
Jul 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Looks to de a different ratio - is that just an illusion?

I've been trying to shop a iPad screen image on it without much luck. The perspective is pretty distorted. Perhaps someone with better skills could give it a shot.

If these rumored dimensions are right, it could still be palmed by larger hands, and still be slipped into some back pockets (not Levi's 550's).

hspace
Jul 10, 2012, 05:19 PM

Good article, but it misses the point a bit about modern peripheral philosophy. You DON'T NEED pins for useless stuff, or other standards.

Does Thunderbolts have extra pins for Firewire and USB and whatever else? No. Can you still make adapters that can work as Thunderbolt-2-Firewire or Thrunderbolt-2-USB? You betcha! Besides power, the only thing that needs to be moved is DATA. That's it. So the article's conclusion that Apple still needs 19 pins is just so backwards. It doesn't. As long as data is transmitted fast enough, you can make adapters to practically ANY cable or device.

And then we have the oft-parroted line that USB2 or (USB3 to be specific) does not have enough capacity to replace the apple connector. But look at your trusty apple 30 pin cable - follow the cable to the other end. What is there? Could it be... USB? Really, 99.9% use of the Apple connector cable could have been accomplished with straight USB, and people would not notice the difference.

Apple really could use a micro-USB3 connector for all of its new devices. No functionality would need to be lost. But they won't. I just hope that the new connector it is a mag-safe variant.

Robert.Walter
Jul 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
It is not outside the realm of possibility that Apple will release the iPad Jr. With non retina at the lower price point, and sell an upgrade to retina to satisfy a higher price point. This overlapping of the two segments, where iPad jr. retina will be 50 bucks more expensive than the iPad 2, would be a double whammy...

marcusj0015
Jul 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
I won't believe it until an actual device leak happens. iPhone 4S cases anyone?

ouchiko
Jul 10, 2012, 05:28 PM
Looks like a widescreen to me.. A 4:3 mini version I would believe but a widescreen architecture change.. Not sure.

cycomiko
Jul 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
But they won't. I just hope that the new connector it is a mag-safe variant.

I dunno actually.

If the assumption is the magsafe is designed to prevent somebody tripping on the cord pulling the macbook over. What happens with the iphone, something that is much much lighter. Ultimately, the magnetics need to much easier to disengage.

Never mind that the physical connection that is currently used can save the phone. Ever bumped hte phone while it is plugged in? and have it drop, but dangle by the cord rather htan smashing to the floor?

hspace
Jul 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
I dunno actually.

If the assumption is the magsafe is designed to prevent somebody tripping on the cord pulling the macbook over. What happens with the iphone, something that is much much lighter. Ultimately, the magnetics need to much easier to disengage.

Never mind that the physical connection that is currently used can save the phone. Ever bumped hte phone while it is plugged in? and have it drop, but dangle by the cord rather htan smashing to the floor?

Hmm. Good point (for phones at least).

I'm just hoping we get devices soon that don't have ANY physical connectors. Charge through induction (induction pad included of course). Data transfer through Wifi/Cellular/Bluetooth. Imagine how rugged and light those devices could get. I have a dream...

quietstormSD
Jul 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
I think these are leaks are leaks that Apple is purposely putting out there. Especially if these are mock ups of purported cases. Much like the rumored iPhone 5 cases we saw out there last year in September. I'm predicting no 7 inch iPad this year. These are just rumors of prototypes not intended for production.

Frankied22
Jul 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
There's been an iPad mini since the original iPad. I'll believe it when I see it announced on stage.

srazz
Jul 10, 2012, 05:56 PM

Oh crap

----------

BTW, I love my iPad mini... its called an iPhone 4. :D

shanmugam
Jul 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
right in time for Google Nexus release ...

bring it on Apple, hopefully it is in release stage and not in design stage.

I like to have regular iPod Event (anyone missed that?) back to first week of September with "Available Today" - yup that iPad Mini too

Gjwilly
Jul 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hmm. Good point (for phones at least).

I'm just hoping we get devices soon that don't have ANY physical connectors. Charge through induction (induction pad included of course). Data transfer through Wifi/Cellular/Bluetooth. Imagine how rugged and light those devices could get. I have a dream...

You'll have plenty time to dream because you'll need a nap while waiting to sync 64gb of apps, music, and videos over WiFi or Bluetooth.

hspace
Jul 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
You'll have plenty time to dream because you'll need a nap while waiting to sync 64gb of apps, music, and videos over WiFi or Bluetooth.

I Wifi sync all the time. Don't you?

Gjwilly
Jul 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
Yes I do. That's how I know that it's horribly slow for large syncing jobs.

zub3qin
Jul 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
Two questions:

1) Why did we have a flurry of rumors, leaks, photos re: iPhone 5 just prior to WWDC and NOTHING since? Were they all fake? Is everyone on vacation now in the dog days of summer?

2) The conventional wisdom always has been that Apple releases specs of upcoming devices to certain third-party manufacturers so they can create covers/cases/accessories in time for release. And it is these case companies that are the source of the leaks on upcoming products. Does anyone really believe this? I just can't buy this. Why would Apple ever show their secrets to a case company? Is it really likely that someone won't buy a new iPhone because there is no case available the day it comes out? I just don't see Apple risking a leak just so a cover is out on day one.

Glideslope
Jul 10, 2012, 07:03 PM

No Home Button. :apple:

Sith Vol
Jul 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
Certainly seems plausible, and I would be glad that they are including the new dock connector with a device this year other than the shiny new iPhone 6 (It's the 6th generation, after all!) I honestly hope they hit a $300 price point and have a 4G LTE option; this form factor would personally be perfect for me, but to each their own.

Ditto. I'd love it.

TheMarc
Jul 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
[...] I just don't see Apple risking a leak just so a cover is out on day one.

I don't think Apple is "risking" much by leaking info such as what has (or would have) leaked... What it could be "risking", actually, is slowing down Nexus 7 sales.

gigaguy
Jul 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Well, I hope I don't lose any heterosexual points by saying this: that model is cute!

HA! I'd say your logon name lost you more hete points~!~
fresh cutie pie. jk..

GS17
Jul 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
I dunno actually.

Well, I don't know about where you plug in your phone but in many occasions I have tripped with the cord and the phone always ends on the floor. Most homes and offices have the sockets about 10-12 inches from the floor and the cable when connected to the phone goes up on top of a desk or table, in my case the nightstand, so I don't know how much can it save it.

I'll say that the only protection the current connector gives is not allowing the phone to unplug and end under the bed without the cable allowing me to retrieve it.

I agree that if they switch to MagSafe the magnets need to be very weak, just to keep connection but not pull the phone.

I know, I'm plugging it wrong!

Westside guy
Jul 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
No Home Button. :apple:

The entire glass front panel is the home button. :D

redmac
Jul 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Looks like a widescreen to me.. A 4:3 mini version I would believe but a widescreen architecture change.. Not sure.

I wrote this comment in another blog:

If that's correct, then the bezel will be very thin on the longer sides making it almost as easy to handle and to fit in a pocket as a 7" Android tablet.

This is what I had been thinking of since I first heard of the 7.85" iPad Mini rumors. Why would you need a thick bezel if you could hold it in your hand in the portrait mode? This way, it will be almost as compact as the competition but with a %42 bigger screen area. The only downside will be less room for the battery.

This also shows how blindly other manufacturers copy Apple. They could easily build much narrower devices without compromising the screen size or ergonomy. But instead, they all made tablets with bezels that don't serve a purpose.

brock2621
Jul 10, 2012, 08:50 PM

Uhhh... Wouldn't that just be the normal looking home button and camera from iPhone 4 or 4s? It's a $250 value tablet, no pioneering tech in this one...

MacAgnostic
Jul 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
I've been trying to shop a iPad screen image on it without much luck. The perspective is pretty distorted. Perhaps someone with better skills could give it a shot.

If these rumored dimensions are right, it could still be palmed by larger hands, and still be slipped into some back pockets (not Levi's 550's).here you go.

knucklehead
Jul 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
here you go.

Thanks!

That actually looks like what I think we can expect to see. Apple really wouldn't make a product the that just anyone could just pick up and use -- regardless of hand size.
I guess if we want to be able to carry in in our clothing, we'll just have to go a bit further to dress for the occasion...

Nothing much to do now but wait and see want actually happens -- and see how it feels in the hand once it does.

rygamble
Jul 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Tbolt would make the chargers cost a ton! so lets hope not.

I have been waiting for something like this to get an ipad. It would be nice if they would just use the non retina ipad res for this ipad min. The screen would still be super sharp and developers would not have to deal with another res for everything. Right now we are looking at soon to be 5 diff res as it is.

2 for ipad and 3 for iphone (if the new iphone is truly bigger).

Yeah, but the 3GS is probably going to be phased out.

Mmullan81
Jul 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Apple doesn't need to make an iPad mini.. They rule the tablet market. Yes there may be other devices that things the iPad doesn't but the iPad is the perfect size for what it is.
I could see making the iPhone slightly larger but they don't need to be like Samsung and have 4 different sized phablets/tablets.

I think this is just a rumor built off of rumors. Just because I see a lot of rumors on every site doesn't mean it's true.

redmac
Jul 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
Apple doesn't need to make an iPad mini.. They rule the tablet market. Yes there may be other devices that things the iPad doesn't but the iPad is the perfect size for what it is.
I could see making the iPhone slightly larger but they don't need to be like Samsung and have 4 different sized phablets/tablets.

I think this is just a rumor built off of rumors. Just because I see a lot of rumors on every site doesn't mean it's true.

Two reasons why they are going to make it:

Education market and killing the competition.

hleewell
Jul 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
They could differentiate the Mini from the regular iPad by using less powerful graphic card. The Mini may be able to handle Angry Birds but not Infinity Blade or HD movie editing for example. So folks who just want to browse the net, check out social feeds and lite computing but doesn't want the weight of the bigger iPad will find the Mini sufficient. Sounds reasonable?

bartzumbari
Jul 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
If I use Photoshop to scale the iPad picture to 7.3 x 9.5", then that orange rectangle is about 8 x 5.5". Then draw a reasonable-looking 7.9" display inside of that and it's about 4.1" x 6.75" which is a 1.6:1 aspect ratio--same as a MacBook Pro. To get 4:3 aspect ratio, you'd have to make the white rectangle wider and shorter--starts to get an iPhone look to it if you do that.

Bart

http://bhimages.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v53/p53933697-4.jpg

Kblakeshot
Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 PM

Bingo! Someone else gets it!

Two reasons why they are going to make it:

Education market and killing the competition.

Bingo! Someone else gets it!

LosAltosHills
Jul 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
Ive never seen so many "leaked" pics before for Apple products. What's changed? I remember when Apple would go after sites that had these types of pics.

gorskiegangsta
Jul 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Zoogue had these images posted just prior to WWDC. Not sure how legitimate these are but they look a heck of a lot like this model.
http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-Mini-iMage-3-ll.jpg
http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-mini-image-1.jpg
http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-mini-image-2.jpg

Source: http://blog.zoogue.com/ipad/exclusive-ipad-nano-images-surface/

mrbyu
Jul 11, 2012, 01:16 AM
Zoogue had these images posted just prior to WWDC. Not sure how legitimate these are but they look a heck of a lot like this model.
Image (http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-Mini-iMage-3-ll.jpg)
Image (http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-mini-image-1.jpg)
Image (http://blog.zoogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iPad-mini-image-2.jpg)

Source: http://blog.zoogue.com/ipad/exclusive-ipad-nano-images-surface/

No way it's gonna be this thick...

marksman
Jul 11, 2012, 03:42 AM
No like fat mini.

Vern Troyer hates you right now.

Les Kern
Jul 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
I have woodworking tools as well.

the8thark
Jul 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
If I was not so sick I'd be laughing very hard at all these iPad Mini rumours.
So very entertaining. I don't believe for a second it'll come any time soon though. I'll let everyone else do that for me.

If Apple want to actually make this, we can just call it a bonehead thing done by Apple (which it will be) and all move on.

Thunderhawks
Jul 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
Uhhh... Wouldn't that just be the normal looking home button and camera from iPhone 4 or 4s? It's a $250 value tablet, no pioneering tech in this one...

Haha, obviously my sense of humor or sarcasm was not obvious:-)

wrkactjob
Jul 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
Is it going to be a "tall" iPad?

If so I will buy it to go with my anticipated "tall" iPhone.

iTall.

GorgonPhone
Jul 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
Is it going to be a "tall" iPad?

If so I will buy it to go with my anticipated "tall" iPhone.

iTall.

i will be shocked if apple makes devices that are mot proportionally balanced..:(

Moonjumper
Jul 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
They could differentiate the Mini from the regular iPad by using less powerful graphic card. The Mini may be able to handle Angry Birds but not Infinity Blade or HD movie editing for example. So folks who just want to browse the net, check out social feeds and lite computing but doesn't want the weight of the bigger iPad will find the Mini sufficient. Sounds reasonable?

I can see an iPad Mini using a lot of cheaper components to really bring the price down.

A 1024x768 resolution means it could easily take the iPad 2 internals. The smaller screen will use less power, so a smaller and therefore cheaper battery will be suitable.

There was a mention that 1024x768 at 7.85" has the same pixel density as the iPhone 3GS, so may use the same supplies. The 1st to 3rd generation iPod touches had the same resolution, but a cheaper screen than in the phone. I could see it use that cheaper screen tech. They were still good screens.

And to keep costs down I think it will have 8 and 16 GB storage options.

AdMac
Jul 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
I would prefer a 7 inch iPad over the regular iPad to be honest (Personal Opinion) I use my girlfriends iPad a lot, and when I do it is for reading news articles through flipboard or reading magazines, which is what i would be using my own for when I eventually purchase one. However, I think this would be more comfortable on a 7 Inch screen. If i really want to watch videos etc. on a bit of a bigger screen I can always switch across to my MBP, however, I still think 7.85 Inch would be plenty to watch YouTube videos on.

I agree with an argument that when apple released their iPad they brought something new to the market, somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop. Something that would bring something different to people, as with a lot of their devices. However, they do make an iPod Nano and a 13inch and 15inch MB.

Im still not 100% convinced this will happen, but if it does, Il certainly be queuing outside the apple store.

mantan
Jul 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
I would prefer a 7 inch iPad over the regular iPad to be honest (Personal Opinion) I use my girlfriends iPad a lot, and when I do it is for reading news articles through flipboard or reading magazines, which is what i would be using my own for when I eventually purchase one. However, I think this would be more comfortable on a 7 Inch screen. If i really want to watch videos etc. on a bit of a bigger screen I can always switch across to my MBP, however, I still think 7.85 Inch would be plenty to watch YouTube videos on.

I agree with an argument that when apple released their iPad they brought something new to the market, somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop. Something that would bring something different to people, as with a lot of their devices. However, they do make an iPod Nano and a 13inch and 15inch MB.

Im still not 100% convinced this will happen, but if it does, Il certainly be queuing outside the apple store.

I agree it will be a device that will appeal to a lot of people.

I don't quite understand the 'it'll never happen' or 'this would be a huge mistake' by Apple. There clearly is a market for a smaller device. I almost wonder if some people think it somehow threatens the iPad market. I don't see how. There is room for both.

I also don't understand the concern this will only be somewhat profitable as opposed to very incredibly lucrative....especially when the plan is to essentially crush the competition and corner the market.

poloponies
Jul 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
I also don't understand the concern this will only be somewhat profitable as opposed to very incredibly lucrative....especially when the plan is to essentially crush the competition and corner the market.

I'm not at all concerned by what Apple will actually do, but there's concern about this sentiment by posters that Apple needs to crush a profitless market. Amazon will be releasing a larger-format tablet this year which will undoubtedly be priced more aggressively than the iPad. That's where Apple should be focusing, on protecting its share of an existing market that actually generates profits.

mantan
Jul 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not at all concerned by what Apple will actually do, but there's concern about this sentiment by posters that Apple needs to crush a profitless market. Amazon will be releasing a larger-format tablet this year which will undoubtedly be priced more aggressively than the iPad. That's where Apple should be focusing, on protecting its share of an existing market that actually generates profits.

I get what your saying...but from a customer perspective I'd rather see a dogfight on both fronts. If Apple loses focus and lets a competitor gain a foothold that's GREAT. It coould be argued this happened when they parsed out minor hardware/OS updates with the iPhone 3/IOS3/3GS while Android gained ground and it resulted in a huge innovation jump with the iPhone 4.

Che Castro
Jul 11, 2012, 01:58 PM

If theiphone 4 can play infinity blade so should the mini

hickabob
Jul 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
If this actually happens then it will definitely replace my wifes kindle fire. Maybe she'll use it for more than a coster on her night stand then ;)

It will also replace my ipad as the device my 2 year old carries and around and drops on the floor...

Glideslope
Jul 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
The entire glass front panel is the home button. :D

No. Too much area. It will be confined to a designated "bottom". Still no button however. Just a home button symbol. :apple:

bobrk
Jul 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
According to the report, a pixel count on the photos suggests that the iPad mini will measure approximately 213 mm by 143 mm and be slightly thinner than the full-size iPad.

How do you decide how big a physical object is by "pixel count"?

poloponies
Jul 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
According to the report, a pixel count on the photos suggests that the iPad mini will measure approximately 213 mm by 143 mm and be slightly thinner than the full-size iPad.

Pixel count on the photo, so it's just a relative measurement. Tain't rocket science.

knucklehead
Jul 11, 2012, 04:52 PM

When it's held against a known sized reference such as the iPad.

MacAgnostic
Jul 11, 2012, 08:14 PM

When it's held against a known sized reference such as the iPad.
And the report is wrong; with those dimensions the top and bottom bezel would be about 5mm greater than the iPad.

I just performed a perspective correction and did the math.
The correct sizes are about 204mm x 137mm.

With a 7.85" display, the top and bottom bezel are 22mm and the left and right bezel are 8.6mm
The current iPad top and bottom bezel is 22mm and the left and right bezel are 18.9mm

I WAS the one
Jul 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
New connector scares me.

Don't worry Apple will sell an adapter for a year so everyone get used to.

knucklehead
Jul 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
And the report is wrong; with those dimensions the top and bottom bezel would be about 5mm greater than the iPad.

I just performed a perspective correction and did the math.
The correct sizes are about 204mm x 137mm.

With a 7.85" display, the top and bottom bezel are 22mm and the left and right bezel are 8.6mm
The current iPad top and bottom bezel is 22mm and the left and right bezel are 18.9mm

Almost makes it sound a bit like this thing:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1403140

alfistas
Jul 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
purported physical model of ipad mini surfaces

This is all well and good and I'm sure lots of people will buy it!

But, I'd be far more interested in an iPad MEGA! :D I'm talking about an iPad-like device that'd be more of a desktop replacement with a large touchscreen upward of 15". Am I alone in this?

MacAgnostic
Jul 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Almost makes it sound a bit like this thing:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1403140
Agreed, that's probably the source of it.

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Personally, I think this will be a useful product, with it's niche market (compared to the normal iPad and iPod touch).

sonovale
Jul 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Great