PDA

View Full Version : Alternate mail apps for Macs?

khlsq
Jul 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hi, I'm a Mac convert as of 12/11. I love, love, love my Mac. My only problem with it isn't really a Mac issue.

My gMail has issues. I press send on an e-mail, it goes into my Sent folder, it's supposedly sent... but the recipient doesn't get it. I don't find out for days or weeks, and it's just a huge headache. It doesn't happen regularly, just occasionally, and only to certain domains (especially hotmail & a few specific local businesses) and while it does happen ocassionally when using gMail online, it happens most frequently with my gMail tab app that sits in my menubar. So I'm thinking that to save me the massive headache of wondering if my e-mail got to it's destination I need a new mail app.

...One that includes the much hated delivery and read receipts... I know people hate them, to be perfectly honest, I hate them too, but I love my gMail, don't have the desire to get a new e-mail address, and I'd like to save my sanity, too. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the default mail app.

Ideas?

Mal
Jul 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
If you don't like the built-in Mail app, then your choices are Sparrow (designed for Gmail, but still fairly new so has some bugs and missing features, though getting better all the time from what I hear), Thunderbird (from Mozilla, makers of Firefox), or Outlook (part of Microsoft Office). Sparrow and Thunderbird you can try for free, I don't know about Outlook, but you should be able to find out easily. Those are the only options I know of.

jW

davidnyjets
Jul 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
Postbox.

It isn't free but it's absolutely awesome. Wish the Mail.app was designed this well. Super happy with it.

dammerl
Jul 11, 2012, 03:20 AM
MailMate.

It has improvements on Apple Mail in many aspects: better smart mail boxes, keyboard navigation, Markdown integration(!), signature handling, …
However not free; no read receipts afaik.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 11, 2012, 07:09 AM
Sparrow.

miles01110
Jul 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
Mail clients are pretty much all the same. Other than Read Receipts, what's wrong with Apple Mail out of curiosity?

khlsq
Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 AM
Mail clients are pretty much all the same. Other than Read Receipts, what's wrong with Apple Mail out of curiosity?

I kind of miss all the features of Outlook. Mail seems... barebones. It could, of course, just be that I lost patience and interest too quickly, however. Actually, I think Office and 1 hidden object game is just about all I miss from Windows.

And on that note, yes I am aware that I could get Office for Mac but the expense just doesn't seem worth it since I already have Pages, Numbers & Keynote.

khlsq
Jul 18, 2012, 04:13 AM
Postbox.

It isn't free but it's absolutely awesome. Wish the Mail.app was designed this well. Super happy with it.

I've downloaded the trial for this one and am loving it so far. Thanks so much :)

davidnyjets
Jul 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
I've downloaded the trial for this one and am loving it so far. Thanks so much :)

Np. Yea I've tried a bunch of them and it's my personal favorite so far. :)