Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I have a quick question about the MacBook batteries so I'm hoping somebody can help me out!

Anyways tomorrow I'm going to look (and possibly buy) a Black Core 2 Duo MacBook and the girl who is selling it told me the battery doesn't work. Now normally this would be as simple as buying a new battery but it could also be something as big as the logic board, which I don't want to deal with. Is there a certain way to tell if the battery is just dead or the logic board has to be replaced? She is selling it for $200 so it's a good deal, I'd just rather not buy a computer I can't move around with me so a battery that charges is a must. Thanks.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Yeah that's true... but this computer is going to be a temporary solution until I had the cash to get a newer Mac at the end of the year. I was thinking of sticking a used, working OEM battery in until I could get the other Mac.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Well the only way to see if its not the logic board is to see if the mac runs off its mains power with no problems. The batteries are are more like $139 they charged one of my friends £99 for a battery in a 2009 unibody MacBook.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Ended up not getting that MacBook... case was in really poor shape and it was having kernel panics upon start up. We couldn't even get it to boot into safe mode, so I definitely passed on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.