PDA

View Full Version : [phones] anybody here switched from the 4S to the Samsung Galaxy S3?

imeth
Jul 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
I lost my 64GB 4S, so I went to an ATT store today.. the manager said he can let me upgrade early for the 4S but will only take $250 from it's regular full price.. I'm looking at $649.99+... he can't really help me there but he got me a full upgrade with a samsung s3 for $199.99.. so here is my first android for now, here it goes.

ricanloveee
Jul 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
I lost my 64GB 4S, so I went to an ATT store today.. the manager said he can let me upgrade early for the 4S but will only take $250 from it's regular full price.. I'm looking at $649.99+... he can't really help me there but he got me a full upgrade with a samsung s3 for $199.99.. so here is my first android for now, here it goes.

Quite frankly, I will be jumping ship to the SG3 if the iPhone is longer and has nearly the same specs. I'm needing something "More."

But good luck with your android -- give us some details as to how it feels being an iPhone user switching android... Many of us would like to know different perspectives. Fill us in.

Wrathwitch
Jul 11, 2012, 04:37 AM

Hope you like it. I have been enjoying mine, but I didn't spend much time comparing it mentally to iPhone, I just took it as being a new system for me.

cynics
Jul 11, 2012, 07:42 AM
Quite frankly, I will be jumping ship to the SG3 if the iPhone is longer and has nearly the same specs. I'm needing something "More."

But good luck with your android -- give us some details as to how it feels being an iPhone user switching android... Many of us would like to know different perspectives. Fill us in.

Hmm hard to say if you'll like it considering you were forced into it. Android can be a bit overwhelming with the way things work vs an iPhone.

At least you got the subsidy price. You can always sell it for more then 250 an get an unlocked 4S. I'd give it a chance though. Let us know what you think.

mlmwalt
Jul 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
Check out this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401757

Kebabselector
Jul 11, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm needing something "More."

Can you define 'More'

aztooh
Jul 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Can you define 'More'

Maybe 'more' screen? 'More' options? 'More' features?

Scrub175
Jul 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
I wasn't going to switch but since a developer model was announced from Samsung for Verizon, I may pick one up...

aztooh
Jul 11, 2012, 08:23 AM

As someone pointed out, there's more of you out there. Though, they went into it more willingly than you did. Since you weren't exactly looking to jump ship, your perspective might be a little different...can you share about your experience so far? What you like/don't like about it?

I'm not due for an upgrade until April sometime, considering taking a family members upgrade and getting the S3 and giving them my 4S (they have a 4). Still need to go check it out in person though.

KJmoon117
Jul 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
I'm waiting for the iP5 before I make such a decision.. If the iP5 doesn't live up..

Well, I might actually have to seriously consider jumping ship.

Want300
Jul 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'm waiting for the iP5 before I make such a decision.. If the iP5 doesn't live up..

Well, I might actually have to seriously consider jumping ship.

I have an iPhone 4s for my personal phone, and I was given the option of whatever phone I wanted for my work phone with my new job. I chose the Samsung Galaxy SII thinking I will have the BEST of both worlds (at the time, of course). I liked it at first, it had a huge, beautiful screen and it was my new toy. After about a week though, I hated it. I would only carry it when I had to, and I would leave it at work.

I have never really cared about customizing my phone to the level that Android allows, so that did not do anything for me. Simply put, the touch screen wasn't as nice. It didn't seem to track as well as the touch screen on the iPhone. All of the apps I had on both phones seemed to look nicer and run smoother on the iPhone. I went into it wanting it and I was really excited about having both. That all changed.

Recently, an employee left the company I work for, he had chosen a black iPhone 4s for his work phone. I traded in the Galaxy SII for it. Now I have a white and a black iPhone 4s, and I am much happier.

alent1234
Jul 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
i had a HTC phone last year.

Google Play is crap compared to the app store
most of the widgets i used were buggy or didn't work
the background downloading is useless most times and a PITA now with tiered data plans
the customization got old in a week

android is a geek's wet dream to live your life around a mini computer, but for normal people iphone rules

chokem
Jul 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
I purchased an Android a little over a year ago, an HTC Inspire. I tried to get used to it, but the battery life was horrendous, kept freezing up, browser was really lame, music player was not good at all. I kept it a little over three weeks and went back to the i4. For me, it was not a good experience after having getting used to the iPhone ecosystem.

alent1234
Jul 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
I purchased an Android a little over a year ago, an HTC Inspire. I tried to get used to it, but the battery life was horrendous, kept freezing up, browser was really lame, music player was not good at all. I kept it a little over three weeks and went back to the i4. For me, it was not a good experience after having getting used to the iPhone ecosystem.

had the same, Inspire 4G

I missed flash until you open a website in the browser and 10 different mini windows open up from all the scripts running on it

i know someone with a mytouch 4g which is an almost exact copy and he's always asking me how to uninstall some arcane app he somehow installed from somewhere he can't remember that's annoying him.

hooray for the locked down app store and apple's rules

Want300
Jul 11, 2012, 10:02 AM
That's another thing I did not like about the Galaxy SII... The fact that I had to download an "Advanced Task Killer" to save battery life, yet it was still pretty bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

Also, with the task and process killers, I had no idea was processes were important to not turn off.

imeth
Jul 11, 2012, 10:57 PM
Ladies and gentlemen.. thanks for all the replies.. less than 24HRS, I went back to AT&T corporate store.. they ended up giving me an exchange for the 4S (proud owner again ) I couldn't take the fragile plastic back cover, the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung Galaxy s3. I didn't like the Android os at all.. it was just way too much.. trying to dial a contact or even texting seems like too much work.. Overall App store is just awesome compared to that crap of a Google Play or whatever you want to call it. I am sad I have to pay the $35 restocking fee but I will talk to ATT customer service. Thank you ATT Apple iPhones for life..

Sdahe
Jul 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
Ladies and gentlemen.. thanks for all the replies.. less than 24HRS, I went back to AT&T corporate store.. they ended up giving me an exchange for the 4S (proud owner again ) I couldn't take the fragile plastic back cover, the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung Galaxy s3. I didn't like the Android os at all.. it was just way too much.. trying to dial a contact or even texting seems like too much work.. Overall App store is just awesome compared to that crap of a Google Play or whatever you want to call it. I am sad I have to pay the $35 restocking fee but I will talk to ATT customer service. Thank you ATT Apple iPhones for life..

So no Android for you then?... hahahaha.

Mac.World
Jul 11, 2012, 11:56 PM

Android def isn't for everyone, but your assessment seems a bit harsh to me. Fragile back cover? It's a very flexible plastic and from all the video's I have seen of drop testing, the back never breaks, it just flies off. It's the glass front of the S3 or the iphone that is more fragile.

i have no idea what this means. Can you retype what you meant to say? "the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung..."

And you said texting and calling was too much work? I don't understand this, since it is identical to doing it on the iphone. Launch gosms or whatever text app you use, type message, hit send. Or open S-Voice aka Siri knockoff and simply say, "text debbie". Same deal with making a call.
To me, it seems like you are just slamming a product for no real reasons.

It's perfectly acceptable to simply say, "I gave the S3 and Android a try and it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get comfortablewith the OS and the phone wasn't comfortable to hold." these are tangible and believable reasons.

To me, and this is just my opinion based on what you posted here, it just appears as though you didn't want the S3 to begin with (looks like you got forced into it), so immediately you already don't like the device. So anything that bothers you about the phone gets amplified 10 fold.

But it sounds like you are happy again with the 4S andin the end, that is all that matters. I personally like the S3. Love the camera and being able to set so many features. I like the video pop up feature too. Came inhandy on a stereoinstalli did last weekend. Anyway, i digress.

Sensamic
Jul 12, 2012, 12:05 AM

Hahahahahaha

Having to dial a contact is too hard? WHOW.

I can dial a contact with just one tap... There is a contacts widget to pin a contact to your home screen and just clicking on it will call him.

Thats pretty hard isnt it?

Mac.World
Jul 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
That's another thing I did not like about the Galaxy SII... The fact that I had to download an "Advanced Task Killer" to save battery life, yet it was still pretty bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

Also, with the task and process killers, I had no idea was processes were important to not turn off.

Advanced task killers do nothing to save battery life. They actually can do more harm than good. People that say Android forced closed on me 20 times a day don't realize that they were the reason for it. Task killer apps try to override the os memory management and files can be corrupted.

Android actually does a pretty good job managing memory, unless a company like HTC decides to tweak it so multitasking won't work.

imeth
Jul 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
Android def isn't for everyone, but your assessment seems a bit harsh to me. Fragile back cover? It's a very flexible plastic and from all the video's I have seen of drop testing, the back never breaks, it just flies off. It's the glass front of the S3 or the iphone that is more fragile.

i have no idea what this means. Can you retype what you meant to say? "the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung..."

And you said texting and calling was too much work? I don't understand this, since it is identical to doing it on the iphone. Launch gosms or whatever text app you use, type message, hit send. Or open S-Voice aka Siri knockoff and simply say, "text debbie". Same deal with making a call.
To me, it seems like you are just slamming a product for no real reasons.

It's perfectly acceptable to simply say, "I gave the S3 and Android a try and it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get comfortablewith the OS and the phone wasn't comfortable to hold." these are tangible and believable reasons.

To me, and this is just my opinion based on what you posted here, it just appears as though you didn't want the S3 to begin with (looks like you got forced into it), so immediately you already don't like the device. So anything that bothers you about the phone gets amplified 10 fold.

But it sounds like you are happy again with the 4S andin the end, that is all that matters. I personally like the S3. Love the camera and being able to set so many features. I like the video pop up feature too. Came inhandy on a stereoinstalli did last weekend. Anyway, i digress.

Thanks and glad you are happy with your S3. Not for everyone same goes for long time Android users moving to the iOS.

The guy that laughed... Lol yes to dial a damn contact was so slippery of a phone

M5RahuL
Jul 12, 2012, 01:11 AM
24hrs isn't enough time to get comfortable with Android OS, especially for iOS users. I wonder what you would've thought of Symbian !!

I love my SGS II, and looking forward to getting the GS III or the new Nexus sometime soon!

Either way, both Android and iOS are great and one should use whatever they're more comfortable and happier with! :)

b166er
Jul 12, 2012, 01:22 AM
If the stretched iPhone turns out to be true I am going to look at other options. The SIII being one of them. Not 100% sure I want to switch yet but I am more open to the idea now than I used to be. I really like some of the windows phones that are out there too. It can't hurt, right? I can always come crawling back if I hate it.

I think what worries me most is leaving the "ecosystem" (I am a mac user as well as an iPad user so it's nice to have it all sync) and re-purchasing apps that I already own for iOS. But time will tell in just a few months. I might be joining you if this stretched iPhone is the real deal. I don't think I could get used to it, but I'd like to hold one before I judge.

Good luck with a new OS! Keep us posted!

EDIT- derp I just saw you came back to iOS haha. Well you tried, man. A lot of us on here aren't that brave.

kevinof
Jul 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
You sound more like an Apple fanboy than someone who really wanted to give Android a try.

-Texting on Android is exactly the same as on the iphone.
-I'd bet you $100 the back cover on the GS3 is stronger than the back of the iphone
-Memory card? You stick the memory card in, put the back cover on and leave it there until you sell the phone in a couple of years. What's the big negative with that?

Wrathwitch
Jul 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't see why people are trying to change or correct your own personal assessment of the phone. I had to laugh, I switched to the SSGS3 and when I wrote how nice the screen and how smoooth "I" found the device I was told that I was mistaken! LOL!

I have a differing opinion of the device than you but everyone IS different in what they like.

Either way, you are back home now :) Life is good and iPhone is a very good solid device.

Peace Bro.

Lindenhurst
Jul 12, 2012, 03:39 PM

the background downloading is useless most times and a PITA now with tiered data plans

android is a geek's wet dream to live your life around a mini computer, but for normal people iphone rules

If you say so.

DarwinOSX
Jul 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
-I'd bet you $100 the back cover on the GS3 is stronger than the back of the iphone

I'll take that bet in a heartbeat. Make it $1,000. I have both phones btw. I always have the latest iPhone and what I perceive as the best current Android phone.
The S III has a great big bright screen which I love. But the retina display still has sharper text. The Android OS is finally pretty smooth but still laggy sometimes. I never use widgets since I don't see a use for them other than draining power and proc. If there is something I use all the time then its an icon on my home screen. The SD card is nice but the reality is many apps don't run at all or don't run well on an SD card.

nefan65
Jul 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
No

The iGentleman
Jul 13, 2012, 10:53 PM

-You do realize that cover is MUCH more durable than anything on the iPhone right? That phone is made of polycarbonate, which has hardness ranking up there with kevlar. There's nothing cheap about that at all.

-Dialing is actually easier since it has a smart dialer... As for texting, how can it be an more difficult? You go to the messaging app, and you text. It's really not all that different from iOS.

Your story sounds quite fabricated....

----------

I'll take that bet in a heartbeat. Make it $1,000.

He's right. Polycarbonate (what the GS3 is made of) is MUCH harder and MUCH more durable than glass. Polycarbonate has strength up there with kevlar. Sorry, but you would lose that bet.

KJmoon117
Jul 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
I have the Korean Galaxy SII 4G LTE version. I really hope the S3 has an improved backing.

The phone's backing never breaks but I always cringe when I have to open it because of the snaps and the bends ><

oBMTo
Jul 17, 2012, 05:12 PM

How is Google Play crap?
Which widgets are buggy or didn't work?
How is background downloading useless?

sentinelsx
Jul 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
The guy that laughed... Lol yes to dial a damn contact was so slippery of a phone

I am just curious since i don't understand. What was so hard?

Wrathwitch
Jul 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have the Korean Galaxy SII 4G LTE version. I really hope the S3 has an improved backing.

The phone's backing never breaks but I always cringe when I have to open it because of the snaps and the bends ><

LOL!! For a second I thought you said Gorean Galaxy SII..... I had to laugh out loud.

I suspect only a few if any would get that reference :p

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 08:09 PM

Ur name says it all lol

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ur name says it all lol

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one deserves to be bashed for that.

It's apparent he likes the 4S better so what's the matter with that?

chris2k5
Jul 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
I used an upgrade to get the S3 on Verizon. After a week the novelty wears off and I found the 4S is MUCH more easy to live with DAY-TO-DAY.

Glideslope
Jul 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
If the iPhone 5 can't let me read the minds of my subordinates, I'm definitely going back to my 3GS. Just saying......... :apple:

Vizin
Jul 17, 2012, 08:48 PM

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 08:52 PM
It's kind of sad how belligerent some people get about the fact that a stranger prefers a different type of smartphone.

I can't imagine how these people must react when someone disagrees with them on something that matters.

Watch anything on TV where politics is discussed.

skidbubble
Jul 17, 2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah, the app store is sooo awesome. I mean, how would any of us get by without 80,000 fart apps, thousands upon thousands of useless sex apps, vibrator apps, etc? Truth be told, the app store as well has been slowly turning into a festering s***hole as well.

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Watch anything on TV where politics is discussed.

Forget tv... Take a peek over in the political threads

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the app store is sooo awesome. I mean, how would any of us get by without 80,000 fart apps, thousands upon thousands of useless sex apps, vibrator apps, etc? Truth be told, the app store as well has been slowly turning into a festering s***hole as well.

Be careful they'll call you a basher too

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 09:58 PM

Nice job whiting out the fact that you searched "sex" in the top right. Of course all those apps popped up...

Should've remembered to erase the "X" and put "Search" in the box, then it would've been believable.

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one deserves to be bashed for that.

It's apparent he likes the 4S better so what's the matter with that?

Bashed? He can't text or make a call and it's the phones fault? Lol c'mon ...

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
Nice job whiting out the fact that you searched "sex" in the top right. Of course all those apps popped up...

Should've remembered to erase the "X" and put "Search" in the box, then it would've been believable.

I believe you missed his point

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
Android has it's share of sex apps too...

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 10:05 PM

No, I didn't. He searched for them which is why they popped up. They don't usually pop up when you're just perusing the app store. There are a few in Lifestyle I think, but otherwise you have to be looking for them to find them.

----------

Bashed? He can't text or make a call and it's the phones fault? Lol c'mon ...

He never said it couldn't actually make calls. He was just pointing out how he thought it was cumbersome.

Mac.World
Jul 17, 2012, 10:10 PM

LOL. http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/hitit2.gif pwn3d

AndreAudi
Jul 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
Let's see I have had iPhone 4,3G, Samsung infuse,htc inspire, pan tech pocket.I had a black,red, n white iPhone 4. iOS is just more polished on the iPhone. Android is a little buggy and the google play store isn't that great. I loved the android customization at first but it did get a little boring later on. My current phone is a androidbecause I'm waiting on the iPhone 5. Samsungs touch wiz isn't bad but took some getting used too. I would give the s3 a try myself. From what I here touch wiz has improved since I used it. Hopefully it's more user friendly.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Let's see I have had iPhone 4,3G, Samsung infuse,htc inspire, pan tech pocket.I had a black,red, n white iPhone 4. iOS is just more polished on the iPhone. Android is a little buggy and the google play store isn't that great. I loved the android customization at first but it did get a little boring later on. My current phone is a androidbecause I'm waiting on the iPhone 5. Samsungs touch wiz isn't bad but took some getting used too. I would give the s3 a try myself. From what I here touch wiz has improved since I used it. Hopefully it's more user friendly.

You do realize the phones you just named aren't even high-end. The infuse was mid-tier at best, and I only call it mid-tier because of the screen. The Inspire and a Pantech? This is your basis of comparison? lol I could have told you what your experience would be with those phones ahead of time. The iPhone is considered a high-end smartphone, so if you're going to do a comparison, you should be comparing it to high-end phones.

skidbubble
Jul 17, 2012, 11:17 PM

+1

Of course I did what he said I did. I never denied doing so. I was simply trying to illustrate that when people cite how many "awesome" apps the app store has, a good chunk of them are garbage.

skidbubble
Jul 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
No, I didn't. He searched for them which is why they popped up.

Of course I searched for them. You missed my point entirely. Whether you have to search for them or not, they are there. They exist, on the app store. They make up a large portion of the bazillion apps people like to brag about when talking about how "awesome" the app store is. I provided a screenshot to illustrate that a large percentage of the apps are fluff and filler.

I would bet that out of all the apps on the app store, probably less than one percent of them are worth anything.

AndreAudi
Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
[/COLOR]You do realize the phones you just named aren't even high-end. The infuse was mid-tier at best, and I only call it mid-tier because of the screen. The Inspire and a Pantech? This is your basis of comparison? lol I could have told you what your experience would be with those phones ahead of time. The iPhone is considered a high-end smartphone, so if you're going to do a comparison, you should be comparing it to high-end phones.
I used those phones to show i have had experience with andriod and ios. All those phones i had at the time except the pantech were great mid tier phones. I wasent makeing a hardware comparison simply gui.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
[/COLOR]
I used those phones to show i have had experience with andriod and ios. All those phones i had at the time except the pantech were great mid tier phones. I wasent makeing a hardware comparison simply gui.

I'm sorry but no, they weren't great. The Inspire was basically the Evo from the previous year, the infuse was a large screen phone with low-end innards, and Pantech just makes trash all around. Your experience on those devices would greatly differ to an experience on a high-end device. That's like me saying I have experience with Windows, and my only experience being with a $200 celeron machine with 512bm of RAM. Sure, it's Windows, but the experience would be much better on a high-end machine built for performance, instead of built to be cheap.

AndreAudi
Jul 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
The quality of those phones wether hardware or the build quality means nothing to me when i am testing the os myself. Im not looking for speed exc. Im looking at how sense or touch wiz is layed out. If i wanted a high tier andriod phone to compare it to i would of included the story of me borrowing a galaxy s 2 for a week. I understand what you are trying to say and would of agreed if i was trying to make the same point. You seem to not understand what i am trying to say.

The iGentleman
Jul 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
The quality of those phones wether hardware or the build quality means nothing to me when i am testing the os myself. Im not looking for speed exc. Im looking at how sense or touch wiz is layed out. If i wanted a high tier andriod phone to compare it to i would of included the story of me borrowing a galaxy s 2 for a week. I understand what you are trying to say and would of agreed if i was trying to make the same point. You seem to not understand what i am trying to say.

I guess don't. I don't know why a person would be interested in looking at how an overlay is laid out, but not interested in seeing how well it's capable of running. That's a bit odd... but hey, to each their own.

nyfliiboy
Jul 18, 2012, 01:19 AM
Lets just say if apple doesnt wow me with the next iphone im definitely moving on to another phone. A longer screen just to say you have a 4inch phone wont cut it apple.

Calidude
Jul 18, 2012, 01:34 AM
Lets just say if apple doesnt wow me with the next iphone im definitely moving on to another phone. A longer screen just to say you have a 4inch phone wont cut it apple.
A lot of people will be saying this later this Fall. Calling it now.

Bobby Corwen
Jul 18, 2012, 01:38 AM
I have an iPhone 4s for my personal phone, and I was given the option of whatever phone I wanted for my work phone with my new job. I chose the Samsung Galaxy SII thinking I will have the BEST of both worlds (at the time, of course). I liked it at first, it had a huge, beautiful screen and it was my new toy. After about a week though, I hated it. I would only carry it when I had to, and I would leave it at work.

I have never really cared about customizing my phone to the level that Android allows, so that did not do anything for me. Simply put, the touch screen wasn't as nice. It didn't seem to track as well as the touch screen on the iPhone. All of the apps I had on both phones seemed to look nicer and run smoother on the iPhone. I went into it wanting it and I was really excited about having both. That all changed.

Recently, an employee left the company I work for, he had chosen a black iPhone 4s for his work phone. I traded in the Galaxy SII for it. Now I have a white and a black iPhone 4s, and I am much happier.

You come across as an intelligent consumer :)

daveathall
Jul 18, 2012, 07:16 AM
I have had the S3 for two weeks now, I also have an iPhone 4S, to be honest, the user experience for me is about the same for either phone, the S3 (European quad core) has no lag, the speed of both is about the same, apps don't crash on either and look stunning. The build quality is also about the same on both phones, those that have commented about the flexible back of the S3 IMHO, miss the point, it won't break when removing or replacing back on the phone, and more interestingly, doesn't flex while on the phone.

Which do I prefer? At the moment it is the S3, I like the larger screen and thats about it, it fits in my pocket and I can use it one handed.

Having read about the next iPhone, extended but not wider, I have come to the conclusion that Apple will surprise us, I think it will be a larger phone all round and the design will "wow" us all, I don't think it will be like the 4S in any way, I still have an upgrade so then, that is the phone I will probably prefer and use.

I have had a 3GS, 4 and 4S, what I have learned is that I prefer a larger phone and that at the moment, companies like Samsung and HTC have caught Apple up, Apple will be well aware of this, I expect them to raise the bar again when the new iPhone is released and leave the following pack scratching their heads again. That is what I hope for anyway.

Of course, if Apple had released the new iPhone two years after releasing the iPhone 4, rather than the two years and three or four months that will have elapsed, all the above would have been irrelevant, I would have picked up my new iPhone in June when one of my upgrades was due and not given a second thought to any of the other manufacturers or their phones.

preguntonontrac
Jul 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Like i said in another thread after seeing all these switching to android topics. I bought an S3 to test it for a week and give it away. Now i am still rocking the S3 and my 4s is in a box in perfect condition in my cloth shelve...

decafjava
Jul 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Of course I searched for them. You missed my point entirely. Whether you have to search for them or not, they are there. They exist, on the app store. They make up a large portion of the bazillion apps people like to brag about when talking about how "awesome" the app store is. I provided a screenshot to illustrate that a large percentage of the apps are fluff and filler.

I would bet that out of all the apps on the app store, probably less than one percent of them are worth anything.

Maybe, but what is "fluff" to you might be the "greatest app ever" for someone else. ;)

batting1000
Jul 18, 2012, 08:52 AM

Again, I understood you point. I was pointing out how you had to search for them to find them and how you don't come across that many when you're just browsing the app store.

Saying that only one percent of over 500,000 apps are useful is a sad excuse.

KPOM
Jul 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
The S3 seems to be a game changer. Historically the iPhone has insanely high loyalty rates. It will be interesting to see how or whether that changes. I plan to get the LTE iPhone this fall. I don't really need a bigger screen, but better data is certainly worth it.

batting1000
Jul 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
The S3 seems to be a game changer. Historically the iPhone has insanely high loyalty rates. It will be interesting to see how or whether that changes. I plan to get the LTE iPhone this fall. I don't really need a bigger screen, but better data is certainly worth it.

Sure it's a nice phone, but I fail to see how it's a game changer. A game changer is what the iPhone was when it was announced in 2007.

vietalogy
Jul 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
I had the S3 for a week and returned it. 4.8' screen is way to big for use with one hand. I did like having expandable memory and removable battery but iPhone just suits me perfect and with all the accessories and apps I have invested I choose to stick with iOS.

KPOM
Jul 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sure it's a nice phone, but I fail to see how it's a game changer. A game changer is what the iPhone was when it was announced in 2007.

It's a game changer in that it is the first Android phone to draw iPhone-like initial sales and mind share. The first Motorola Droid came close in terms of hype, but it was a flash in the pan. Samsung's Galaxy line has steadily grown into a very profitable line.

IOW, people are seeking out the Galaxy SIII. They aren't just "settling" for it because their carrier doesn't offer the iPhone.

The mobile race isn't so much iOS vs. Android as it is Apple vs. Samsung. They are the only two companies making serious money in mobile phones right now. Everyone else, regardless of OS, is struggling.

batting1000
Jul 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
It's a game changer in that it is the first Android phone to draw iPhone-like initial sales and mind share. The first Motorola Droid came close in terms of hype, but it was a flash in the pan. Samsung's Galaxy line has steadily grown into a very profitable line.

IOW, people are seeking out the Galaxy SIII. They aren't just "settling" for it because their carrier doesn't offer the iPhone.

The mobile race isn't so much iOS vs. Android as it is Apple vs. Samsung. They are the only two companies making serious money in mobile phones right now. Everyone else, regardless of OS, is struggling.

That makes it popular, not a game changer.

Ke1ington
Jul 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I thought I'd throw in my opinions.

I've been using a GS3 for a week today. I bought it and left town for a business trip the same day. Figured it would give me a chance to get past the initial "this sucks; going back" phase that happens every time I try to switch. I'll be home this afternoon and the first thing I'll be doing is heading back to Best Buy and getting my iPhone reactivated and my checking account credited.

I loved the phone at first. The screen is gorgeous and the weight/feel of the phone makes it feel like a quality device. The physical home button is nice as well. That's one issue I've always had with android devices. That's about as far as I can go in the positive realm.

The keyboard is the worst part for me. The predictive text is absolutely horrid. It would be better for me if I didnt have to watch the pt line as I typed and select the correct word instead of the phone just inserting the correct word. Whoever said the keyboards between the two devices are practically the same couldn't be further from right. I actually gave up on correcting it after a couple of days and it turned into a game of decryption with my girlfriend. We had some good laughs because the words this thing phone pumps out are nowhere near what I was going for.
When I plug my phone in and carry on with what I'm doing in another room I'll come back a half hour later and the screen will still be lit up. Why? If the phone is locked why wouldn't it turn off after a few seconds?
Holding the phone in my hand and turning it on via the power button, 90% of the time I end up adjusting the volume. Bad location in my opinion.
Again, strictly opinion, the screen is too big. My hands are not small by any means and one handed operation has ended in the phone slipping out of my hand on more than one occasion.
The way apps are built is completely dependent on the developer but I just dost like the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences between the two operating systems.
The thing charges waaaay too slowly and barely charges at all if I'm using it while it's plugged in.
Why are the software camera buttons in landscape when I'm trying to use the camera in portrait?
I need about four more hands to count the number of crashes I've had in a number of days. Sometimes I'll get a message saying "Sorry but xxx app has quit" or something along that line. Majority of the time that app wasn't even running.

All in all android has come a long way since 2.3.4 but its nowhere near as refined as I need it to be to replace ios.

Hope this helps.

nfl46
Jul 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
I had the S3 for a week and returned it. 4.8' screen is way to big for use with one hand. I did like having expandable memory and removable battery but iPhone just suits me perfect and with all the accessories and apps I have invested I choose to stick with iOS.

You must have small hands. I do, and it wasn't too for me.

Mac.World
Jul 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
@Ke1ingtn

Android isn't for everyone, but it is very telling you were unable to figure the phone put via it's settings.
First, were you using the stock keyboard? Swiftkey is much, much better than any stock keyboard. A little research would have told youthis.
You also didn't set your lockscreen timeout. And you likelyhave an app running in the background that is keeping the screen on, i.e. navigation.
Not sure about your camera issue, as mine works as it is supposed to.

The Android OS is not like iOS in that iOS takes care of so many operations for you. Android is dependent upon the user to do many of these things. If you understand how Android and Touchwiz, Blur, Sense work it is a very pleasant experience.

Again, it's not for everyone and it obviously wasn't for you. I'm sure you will bemuch happier back with the iPhone.

daveathall
Jul 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
Must admit that I did find the stock keyboard and its editing to be abysmal on the S3, I did change to swiftkey and find it superb, it knows what I'm gonna type before I do.

andross77
Jul 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Coming from the iPhone 4s 64gb on Verizon which I used since it was released in October I am very pleased with my Pebble Blue SGS3 32gb (with 64gb micro sd card). Like the person before me said, took me 30 seconds to input my email into the swype beta and now I type WAYYY faster than was ever possible on the iphone 4s. So now email and text, much better experience.

I don't put much stock into "bars of service" or even dbm levels because each OS/carrier can calculate them different. What I do know is calls are the same perfect crystal clear that I enjoyed on the 4s. The one improvement is the speakerphone doesn't distort like it did when put towards the louder range.

Same fluidity finally. No lag or hitches, so far no random reboots or restarts. I love customizing my phone so that puts the SGS3 in a HUGE win category over ios for me.

Yes it was very sad to leave my 500+ iphone/ipad apps behind MANY of which were the paid/premium versions. So i'm going to have to budget in replacing a lot of those games over the next few months :).

Battery life I would call very similar but probably an edge to the SGS3. Both lasted me all day with moderate to heavy use but now I am using my SGS3 as a Hotspot for our home in the evenings (to power 2 laptops and ipad and a ps3 for netflix). So I'm probably using my SGS3 more, also because i have "new toy syndrome." :) (of course 4s has 1400 mah battery and sgs3 is 2100 so the iphones battery life is very impressive and i'm sure the 5 will come out with something even better)

I do love that i can expand the memory and buy a spare battery later if i want. I don't plan on it since i like keeping just my phone (no case even) but i like that i have the OPTION. Something Apple doesn't give (in regards to battery, sd card, keyboards, homescreen, launchers, etc....i know some can be had through jailbreaking but that's another discussion).

The bigger screen has improved my e-reading, web-browsing and netflix watching. Of course you can do all on the iphone but to me at least it's all more enjoyable on a 4.8" screen rather than a 3.5" screen. And since i read between a half hour and an hour a day, web browse maybe 15 min to 30 min and watch netflix for 20 min, that's a good portion of my time on the phone i'm enjoying more now.

Of course the data speeds are STUPENDOUS. My normal is probably 10-15mb down range but i've pulled 37mb down and i don't do my speedtest app that often. Either way, I love being able to plug in my phone and use it to stream netflix on my ps3, play everquest on my laptop, have my wife able to check facebook on her netbook and check my emails on my ipad. Verizon LTE i LOVE YOU!

So basically the biggest kicker was to keep unlimited on VZW with the last subsidized phone i could get. It also helps that i'm the type of person that will really research something before i give up on it. (for example the swype keyboard). It seems like many iphone users prize simplicity above all else and if they don't see a grid of squares in front of them, they pout. Prizing simplicity is fine and great (see Apple's capitalist empire) but throwing a fit after a short time with something you can't get to work isn't going to be a helpful personality trait in ANY area of your life.

To be honest, if i could get the SGS3 in the body of a 4" screen, it would be perfect for me. But i have girl like small hands and can still operate the SGS3 just fine (the times my thumb needs to reach to the opposite top corner is about 1% of my actual use) and i prize unlimited lte data above all else.

Maybe i'll be back in the fall when the new iphone hits. Mostly i doubt that though seeing as my wife is the family budget keeper :)

Sensamic
Jul 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I thought I'd throw in my opinions.

The keyboard is the worst part for me. The predictive text is absolutely horrid. It would be better for me if I didnt have to watch the pt line as I typed and select the correct word instead of the phone just inserting the correct word. Whoever said the keyboards between the two devices are practically the same couldn't be further from right. I actually gave up on correcting it after a couple of days and it turned into a game of decryption with my girlfriend. We had some good laughs because the words this thing phone pumps out are nowhere near what I was going for.

All in all android has come a long way since 2.3.4 but its nowhere near as refined as I need it to be to replace ios.

Hope this helps.

Samsungs stock keyboard is pretty bad compared to Swiftkey or Swype. If you dont know how to change the keyboard then you should have done research.

If you had tried Swype you would have been surprised. Its the best keyboard in the entire world, and its only available on Android. I can type 2x times faster than on iOS and the autocorrection works much much better than iOS.

I havent had a mispelled word in a few days.

Again: learn how to use your phone.

daveathall
Jul 18, 2012, 04:12 PM
Samsungs stock keyboard is pretty bad compared to Swiftkey or Swype. If you dont know how to change the keyboard then you should have done research.

If you had tried Swype you would have been surprised. Its the best keyboard in the entire world, and its only available on Android. I can type 2x times faster than on iOS and the autocorrection works much much better than iOS.

Are you using the beta version please? I cannot find anything in the play store.

korndawg
Jul 18, 2012, 05:18 PM
So when is DarwinOSX gonna pay up?? :D

cwwilson
Jul 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
Like i said in another thread after seeing all these switching to android topics. I bought an S3 to test it for a week and give it away. Now i am still rocking the S3 and my 4s is in a box in perfect condition in my cloth shelve...

Wow that is exactly what happened with my 4. Bought the S3, restored my iPhone 4 to factory settings to sell and now it sits in my closet in the box while I use the Galaxy.

korndawg
Jul 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
I went from the original Droid to a 4S. Wow, what an upgrade. Old android was a laggy, buggy POS with a messy looking UI. I absolutely love my iphone. However, Jelly Bean looks sweet and if the iphone 5 isn't that big of an upgrade over a 4S, I'll def consider/look into a S3 or upcoming Nexus device.

BSben
Jul 18, 2012, 05:49 PM
I am quite surprised how much time Android users are spending on this forum.
An almost unhealthy amount of time, I think. So if they were all so happy with their Android phones why are they not on an Android forum?
I am very happy with my iPhone and have currently no desire to change, it does what I want it to do, and that it does very good. As I am not too much interested how much money Apple makes, I am actually quite happy more people going Android, as that makes iOS a less likely victim of malware.

Wrathwitch
Jul 18, 2012, 08:42 PM

I gently disagree with you in this. I think it is a game changer at least for myself wherein I would never have gone with an Android phone before the GS3 because the product didn't seem finished or polished enough to entice me. I took the plunge due to the GS3 and I am sure that others have been feeling the same, maybe wanting to try something different but not impressed with the offerings until now.

Sensamic
Jul 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Are you using the beta version please? I cannot find anything in the play store.

Its not in the Play store. Look for it on Google or on the official Swype page.

sentinelsx
Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
An almost unhealthy amount of time, I think. So if they were all so happy with their Android phones why are they not on an Android forum?
I am very happy with my iPhone and have currently no desire to change, it does what I want it to do, and that it does very good. As I am not too much interested how much money Apple makes, I am actually quite happy more people going Android, as that makes iOS a less likely victim of malware.

That's because some of us are actually using iPhones too. The android only crowd is usually at android forums only. Using both OS means we get to compare both at same time.

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 03:52 AM
Its not in the Play store. Look for it on Google or on the official Swype page.

Thank you, much appreciate your reply.

I did look on the Swype page but it seems to only advertise the Beta version, Im wondering if this is only for the UK.

NedBookPro
Jul 19, 2012, 05:37 AM

I havent had a mispelled word in a few days.

Again: learn how to use your phone.

If the next iphone only has a stretched screen, I'm another who may "jump ship" and look at the S3.

The thing that astounds me though is that you have to "use an app" for a good keyboard action. Sounds bizarre. Why doesn't samsung have this from the get-go?

Weird.

kevinof
Jul 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
They do. The stock Samsung keyboard has Swype integrated right in there. Samsung were one of the first to license the keyboard.

see http://samsunggalaxys3how.com/how-to-turn-on-swype-text-input-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s-iii/

The thing that astounds me though is that you have to "use an app" for a good keyboard action. Sounds bizarre. Why doesn't samsung have this from the get-go?

Weird.

andross77
Jul 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
That's because some of us are actually using iPhones too. The android only crowd is usually at android forums only. Using both OS means we get to compare both at same time.

This exactly. It's like the stupid people on the videogame forums that like console X and hope owners of console Y die a fiery death. C'mon, both iOS and Android have their positives and negatives. When you use both, you can actually see that fact. When you just stick to one platform, anything you say about the other platform shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone because you are just repeating what someone told you, what you read online (haha) or from you 10 minute demo in the store. Until you own both, your opinion on the differences between the 2 is really invalid.

The 4s is a GREAT phone in a lot of respects, but also to me very BORING and SLOW (on data :)) Now I'm enjoying the SGS3 because it also is a GREAT phone and it's NOT boring or slow. But it is going to be less stable by the very nature of the OSes and I agree to live with that since I like the positives more.

Now when the iphone 5 comes out I'll be able to compare again. All the while, those who huddle in their own camp and speak out of ignorance. It feels good not to be a fanboy and to be able to just use what works best for me.

Rooftop voter
Jul 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
I jumped ship. This is the first Android phone that I've really liked on all fronts, UI, speed, battery life, screen, etc. I'm interested to see what apple brings to the table this year, and I'm sure it'll sell well, but I doubt it would be able to match the features that the s3 has.

----------

If the next iphone only has a stretched screen, I'm another who may "jump ship" and look at the S3.

Weird.

They do, but you have the option to change to something else if you want to. I'm using SwiftKey. I like it a lot because it's pretty good at auto correcting and predicting. Some like using stock, some swype, etc. You can get whichever one fits your needs best.

Ke1ington
Jul 19, 2012, 10:06 AM
@Ke1ingtn

Android isn't for everyone, but it is very telling you were unable to figure the phone put via it's settings.
First, were you using the stock keyboard? Swiftkey is much, much better than any stock keyboard. A little research would have told youthis.
You also didn't set your lockscreen timeout. And you likelyhave an app running in the background that is keeping the screen on, i.e. navigation.
Not sure about your camera issue, as mine works as it is supposed to.

The Android OS is not like iOS in that iOS takes care of so many operations for you. Android is dependent upon the user to do many of these things. If you understand how Android and Touchwiz, Blur, Sense work it is a very pleasant experience.

Again, it's not for everyone and it obviously wasn't for you. I'm sure you will bemuch happier back with the iPhone.

First, thank you for coming off as insulting in response to a post that was strictly informational. This is far from my first android phone and in no way could I not "figure the phone out".
Swiftly was one of the first things I downloaded after, yep you guessed it, researching keyboards. That was almost better but still inserted random words when it felt like. My navigation, wifi, and Bluetooth were always disabled when not in use to preserve battery. So which is it? Lockscreen timeout (what's the point of that anyway? Screen timeout makes sense) or a rogue process running without my knowledge?

Mac.World
Jul 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
First, thank you for coming off as insulting in response to a post that was strictly informational. This is far from my first android phone and in no way could I not "figure the phone out".
Swiftly was one of the first things I downloaded after, yep you guessed it, researching keyboards. That was almost better but still inserted random words when it felt like. My navigation, wifi, and Bluetooth were always disabled when not in use to preserve battery. So which is it? Lockscreen timeout (what's the point of that anyway? Screen timeout makes sense) or a rogue process running without my knowledge?

Still appears to me like you couldn't figure the phone out or only used it for about 5 minutes and then posted on here. First, 'Swiftly'? Don't know what that is. Swiftkey 3 is the best keyboard app out there, and in a million words of typing it has never 'randomly' inserted a word without me hitting the predictive text box. It simply doesn't work the way you described. And if you are comparing keyboards and are saying the iOS keyboard is better, then you are smoking crack.
Second bluetooth and navigation are always off, unless you turn them on. Why do you think you need to disable something that is not active?
And do you know what 'air push' is? there are rogue processes that can run without you knowing, if you download crap outside of the app store.

Too many inconsistencies in your story. having trouble believing you owned the phone.

Ke1ington
Jul 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Still appears to me like you couldn't figure the phone out or only used it for about 5 minutes and then posted on here. First, 'Swiftly'? Don't know what that is. Swiftkey 3 is the best keyboard app out there, and in a million words of typing it has never 'randomly' inserted a word without me hitting the predictive text box. It simply doesn't work the way you described. And if you are comparing keyboards and are saying the iOS keyboard is better, then you are smoking crack.
Second bluetooth and navigation are always off, unless you turn them on. Why do you think you need to disable something that is not active?
And do you know what 'air push' is? there are rogue processes that can run without you knowing, if you download crap outside of the app store.

Too many inconsistencies in your story. having trouble believing you owned the phone.

Cute. So now that your last genius theory holds no water, it MUST be that I opened the box, played with it and gave up after five minutes.... Really? Did you read my OP? I left town for five days. It was my primary device. Oh so sorry that my autocorrect changed Swiftkey to swiftly. You knew what I meant.

Be gone troll.

Mac.World
Jul 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cute. So now that your last genius theory holds no water, it MUST be that I opened the box, played with it and gave up after five minutes.... Really? Did you read my OP? I left town for five days. It was my primary device. Oh so sorry that my autocorrect changed Swiftkey to swiftly. You knew what I meant.

Be gone troll.

"Be gone troll." really? Why not just call me a 'meanie stupidhead'. What are you, 5? http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/jerkit.gif http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/kleenex.gif

Oh, well since you posted a pic, it must be real. Hang on, here's a pic. Is this mine or someone elses? (see below. See, anyone can post an image. Doesn't make it any more believable.)
And yes, I read your post. Looks to me like you never wanted the phone, assuming you used it for more than 5 minutes before going back to the iphone. And based on that auto-correct mistake, I know you are back to using iOS keyboard. I'm typing from my ipad right now and constantly have to fix mistakes, cause the keyboard and lack of predictive text sucks so badly.
In the end, you couldn't figure out how to use the phone and went back to a phone that is more in your comfort zone. You should stick with Apple products, since you like them and can figure them out.

http://techiegadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/unboxing-samsung-galaxy-s-III.jpeg

xraydoc
Jul 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

One can be a Mac user and an Android user at the same time. Heck, one can use OS X, iOS and Android. No reason to ban Android threads. There may be many bits of information that would be useful to someone who uses both platforms - just as Windows & Linux posts are tolerated.

I have 4 Macs (iMac, Mac Pro server, MacBook Air and a Mac mini), an iPad, an iPod touch and an Android phone. I don't see why my posts comparing and contrasting the OS and its apps, features, etc., shouldn't be allowed.

nataliamck
Jul 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
My SGS3 arrives tomorrow. I am currently using iPhone 4S.

Honestly I'm just a little bored of iOS. I can't fault the iPhone at all. I am just looking for a change.

I will let you know how I find the SGS3.

nefan65
Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
One can be a Mac user and an Android user at the same time. Heck, one can use OS X, iOS and Android. No reason to ban Android threads. There may be many bits of information that would be useful to someone who uses both platforms - just as Windows & Linux posts are tolerated.

I have 4 Macs (iMac, Mac Pro server, MacBook Air and a Mac mini), an iPad, an iPod touch and an Android phone. I don't see why my posts comparing and contrasting the OS and its apps, features, etc., shouldn't be allowed.

I don't think he meant that really. There's nothing wrong with a healthy, or lively debate on different things. However, some of the posts have gone to the extreme. Healthy and lively end when it becomes my toy is better, and if you don't like/use the same toy as me, well you're <<INSERT DEROGATORY COMMENT HERE>>.

Also, some of the posts are becoming redundant. It's the same argument hashed over/over...

joshwithachance
Jul 19, 2012, 12:23 PM

Honestly I'm just a little bored of iOS. I can't fault the iPhone at all. I am just looking for a change.

This was my exact reason for switching as well. I really liked my 4S, and it was an extremely solid device, but I wanted something new. So far the S III has exceeded my expectations and it truly is the first Android device that has the polished, total package feel of an Apple product.

nataliamck
Jul 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
This was my exact reason for switching as well. I really liked my 4S, and it was an extremely solid device, but I wanted something new. So far the S III has exceeded my expectations and it truly is the first Android device that has the polished, total package feel of an Apple product.

You've just got me more excited for tomorrow now :D

andross77
Jul 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

and this is a great reason to switch. grid of square icons gets BORING after months and months and sometimes years. these are media devices now not just cell phones. if you want just a phone, get something free that has longer battery life and save yourself some money.

xraydoc
Jul 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
Also, some of the posts are becoming redundant. It's the same argument hashed over/over...

This is true.

xraydoc
Jul 19, 2012, 02:41 PM

I had been playing with an Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus but still using my iPhone because the battery on the Nexus was (is) unable to keep up with me. Even the big, fat extended battery from Seidio couldn't get me through a morning-to-evening cycle.

The GS3 on the other hand, is able to get me through the day. Not as good as an iPhone, but gets me to from 7am to 7pm with 25-30% charge left to go (with the GNex, I was reaching for the charger at 4pm; the iPhone would get to about 55%).

I'm trying out a cheap extended battery I found on Amazon. It's listed as 3800mAh but who knows really. Probably over-rated, but either way it's twice as thick as the stock battery, doesn't look too bad on the phone (comes with a new back that makes the phone about twice as thick, but still no thicker than my wife's iPhone 4S in an Otterbox Commuter), and so far seems pretty damn bottomless. It's been going 9.5 hrs and it's still at 76% right now (I'd be approaching 50% by now normally). Probably wont use the big battery every day, but nice to know I've got it when I need it.

NedBookPro
Jul 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
They do, but you have the option to change to something else if you want to. I'm using SwiftKey. I like it a lot because it's pretty good at auto correcting and predicting. Some like using stock, some swype, etc. You can get whichever one fits your needs best.

Whet you say "get" do you mean configure? Or do you mean you have to download it? Sorry for what may seem to be a dumb question.

I would be terrific if you could get a trial phone for a couple of weeks to make a decision. Changing phones is not like making a decision to eat rice one day and pasta the next. Once you commit, you're stuck with it for a couple of years, and there's the eco system to consider as well - not to mention at @ $900 (you pay for that one way or the other - plan or not) it's a significant outlay.

One more problem for me is that I think my employer only allows iPhone to access it's exchange servers for mail (security reasons). That would be a deal breaker on the S3.

This may all be a worry for naught if the iPhone screen was something similar to the S3. But I have this sinking feeling it will just be longer, which for me will be such a disappointment. It would be a pleasure NOT to have to put my glasses on to read tiny text.

NikeTalk
Jul 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
S3 battery is better than the 4S by miles, cut that out. Granted it's probably cause it's bigger but no way a 4S last longer and that's on 3G.

NedBookPro
Jul 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

Please do. There really appears to be a lot of us now interested in this device.

I wonder if apple is taking any notice. Could it be the start of a downhill slide?

LostSoul80
Jul 19, 2012, 03:05 PM
Could it be the start of a downhill slide?

Probably not yet. Too many ready to upgrade without knowing anything about the new device is the definitive hint.

Ke1ington
Jul 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
Whet you say "get" do you mean configure? Or do you mean you have to download it? Sorry for what may seem to be a dumb question.

I would be terrific if you could get a trial phone for a couple of weeks to make a decision. Changing phones is not like making a decision to eat rice one day and pasta the next. Once you commit, you're stuck with it for a couple of years, and there's the eco system to consider as well - not to mention at @ $900 (you pay for that one way or the other - plan or not) it's a significant outlay.

One more problem for me is that I think my employer only allows iPhone to access it's exchange servers for mail (security reasons). That would be a deal breaker on the S3.

This may all be a worry for naught if the iPhone screen was something similar to the S3. But I have this sinking feeling it will just be longer, which for me will be such a disappointment. It would be a pleasure NOT to have to put my glasses on to read tiny text.

I'm not sure who you have as a carrier but with AT&T I was allowed 30 days to make a decision on whether I wanted to stick with the new phone or return it with no restocking fees and revert my contract to it's former expired status. Check into it. You may have similar options.

NedBookPro
Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure who you have as a carrier but with AT&T I was allowed 30 days to make a decision on whether I wanted to stick with the new phone or return it with no restocking fees and revert my contract to it's former expired status. Check into it. You may have similar options.

Hmm.. ok.. food for thought. I'm in Australia... so I'll need to check that out.
I'm due (contract out) in November... it will be interesting to say the least about what sort of comparisons come to light between the 2 handsets by that time.

sigamy
Jul 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
This reminds me of the old G4 days when folks would get "bored and tired" of Moto not supplying processors and slow innovation in Apple hardware. They would come on here to tell us they were building a hackintosh or moving to Linux or Windows. Nothing wrong with it, just reminded me of those days.

The phone space is interesting in that most in the US are on two year contracts. So this means that Apple's one-phone-per-year works out for those who enjoy their iPhone and simply upgrade to the new iPhone every 2 years.

But for new users or switchers, Apple is at a disadvantage compared to the number of different Android phones released throughout the year. If you are elibile for upgrade in July and now the iPhone is pushed to Q4, some who are already curiours may decide to move to Android rather than wait the 3+ months for the new iPhone. Especially when there is no real idea what the new iPhone will and will not have.

Maybe it's time for Apple to pre-release info on iPhones in order to stop folks from jumping ship?

Or more realisticallly, Apple should stagger hardware and software releases. For example, if iOS 6 was released in 2Q it may be enough to satifisfy many users and keep them on iOS until the new phone is released in Oct/Nov.

Apple needs to fix these release cycles. I vote for iOS release in spring and hardware in Fall.

AustinIllini
Jul 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
Please do. There really appears to be a lot of us now interested in this device.

I wonder if apple is taking any notice. Could it be the start of a downhill slide?

Touchwiz is kind of laggy once you start running larger widgets. That being said, I can't decide if I want a new launcher. Tried Nova Launcher and it was cool but i still like the ripple effect and such.

----------

Clearly the S3 is to the point where it really is significantly better than the current iPhone model. Once the next gen iPhone comes out, we'll see which is better, but I'm willing to bet it's really close.

As far as "downfall" I doubt it. The iPhone 5 could be the 4S with LTE and the public would run out and buy one. At the end of the day, iOS is extremely powerful and intuitive.

batting1000
Jul 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
Touchwiz is kind of laggy once you start running larger widgets. That being said, I can't decide if I want a new launcher. Tried Nova Launcher and it was cool but i still like the ripple effect and such.

----------

Clearly the S3 is to the point where it really is significantly better than the current iPhone model.

Explain please.

AustinIllini
Jul 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Explain please.

Read the first 5 pages of this forum.

The GSIII has most of the things cited as "Wanted for next iPhone". NFC, bigger screen, LTE, powerful processor, widgets, social network integration all with a competitive batterly life. We're comparing to the current iPhone. If you like iOS, fine, I do too. I understand not going to something else. The post I was replying to asked why there was interest. That's why.

Rooftop voter
Jul 19, 2012, 07:36 PM

Yes you have to download it. There are a bunch of different keyboards to choose from, SwiftKey just worked well for me so I kept it. Swype was cool, I just wasn't very fast at it and didn't really want to practice it. I like swift key because the auto correct is amazing. It will learn your style of texting and pretty much just know what you are trying to say. It's amazing. As I'm typing this on my S3 I've been completely butchering words and it's been 95 percent spot on.

I'm very happy with this phone. I thought I would miss my iphone a lot more than I do. There's a couple things that I liked on the iphone better, but at the moment I can't remember what they are! Lol. Watching videos, surfing the Web, texting, writing emails and adding attachments are so much better, easier, etc. The music player is ok, but I think I'm gonna try and find a different one in Google play. There are a few things I could critique about it, but over all, a very solid phone. Hell, one of the small things I've really enjoyed is the face recognition unlock of the phone. I never kept my iphone locked because I hated having to type a number in every time I wanted to open the phone. Now my phone is locked all the time and I can just swipe to unlock and look at it and it unlocks. Takes it less than a second to unlock, and if I'm in a dark room it just asks me to do a little pattern to unlock. Small, but very convenient feature.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
I was not bored with iOS. Its a great OS. Thats not why I changed to Android and the SGS3.

I was tired of the constraints of iOS and not being able to do certain stuff that I could do even on my Symbian phone 3 years ago. After 2 years (iOS 4, iOS 5 and now iOS6) I got really tired of not seeing iOS improve as much as I expected. On the other hand, ICS really was the kind of stuff I always wanted (the virtual buttons with a dedica ted multitasking menu, the new Swype gestures all over the OS, etc).

Ios6 was the motive I decided to change. My contract ended on February and I waited until June to see iOS 6 because I wanted to stay considering that I already had an iMac, Mac mini and iPad. But when I saw iOS 6...

And then I saw the JB keynote and it brought even more interesting stuff: offline Voice dictation, the new search, Google Now, faster OS overall, offline maps, etc. They did a better job than iOS 6 no doubt.

Its that simple. If you give me a better product for even less money you win. I have no attachments to any company.

igiboi
Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm really interested in the SG3 but I wanted Jelly bean on it. Last month I tried to upgrade to a htc one x and after a day I got pissed cos its no way better than the 4S. I felt the camera on the 4s was better, tho I loved the screen.. typing text messages and emails was hard for me since I'm used to the iPhone. I had the 3gs,4 and 4s so it was hard for me to change to android, tho my first smartphone was a htc desire.. I still have love for android but Im waiting for that Android phone that would make me jump ship. Maybe the Galaxy Note 2 with jelly bean :eek:

----------

I was not bored with iOS. Its a great OS. Thats not why I changed to Android and the SGS3.

I was tired of the constraints of iOS and not being able to do certain stuff that I could do even on my Symbian phone 3 years ago. After 2 years (iOS 4, iOS 5 and now iOS6) I got really tired of not seeing iOS improve as much as I expected. On the other hand, ICS really was the kind of stuff I always wanted (the virtual buttons with a dedica ted multitasking menu, the new Swype gestures all over the OS, etc).

Ios6 was the motive I decided to change. My contract ended on February and I waited until June to see iOS 6 because I wanted to stay considering that I already had an iMac, Mac mini and iPad. But when I saw iOS 6...

And then I saw the JB keynote and it brought even more interesting stuff: offline Voice dictation, the new search, Google Now, faster OS overall, offline maps, etc. They did a better job than iOS 6 no doubt.

Its that simple. If you give me a better product for even less money you win. I have no attachments to any company.

Oh man, Apple had me hooked its the other way around for me. When I saw Mountain Lion and how it would sync and work with iOS, thats what sold me onto waiting for the next iPhone.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'm really interested in the SG3 but I wanted Jelly bean on it. Last month I tried to upgrade to a htc one x and after a day I got pissed cos its no way better than the 4S. I felt the camera on the 4s was better, tho I loved the screen.. typing text messages and emails was hard for me since I'm used to the iPhone. I had the 3gs,4 and 4s so it was hard for me to change to android, tho my first smartphone was a htc desire.. I still have love for android but Im waiting for that Android phone that would make me jump ship. Maybe the Galaxy Note 2 with jelly bean :eek:

----------

Oh man, Apple had me hooked its the other way around for me. When I saw Mountain Lion and how it would sync and work with iOS, thats what sold me onto waiting for the next iPhone.

Apple makes the best desktop OS in the world by a large large margin. Windows 8 is the worst idea I have seen in a long time, and after trying it in Parallels I don't want to see it anymore.

I do love the integration between Mac OS X and iPhones, but the slow slow pace in which iOS is evolving was a deal breaker for me. I wanted a more powerful smartphone (software speaking).

sectime
Jul 19, 2012, 11:38 PM

At least you can remove it and change batteries Etc.

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
Apple makes the best desktop OS in the world by a large large margin.

For you, sure they do. I use both and each has its advantages.

Just like IOS and Android.

KJmoon117
Jul 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
At least you can remove it and change batteries Etc.

Yeah but sometimes I think having no ability to change batteries doesn't hurt that much (for me). Since I do have a USB wire where ever I go and the S3 has surprisingly good battery life. [I got the S3 recently, much better bat life compared to the S2, which wasn't bad either]

alex2792
Jul 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
I made the switch a couple of weeks ago and don't regret it one bit, GS3 is by far the best smartphone that I've ever used(and I've used many phones). The screen is stunning, can't really tell that it's pentile and is much better than the Nexus(imo). Battery life is great, again much better than the Nexus(horrible battery life with LTE caused me to go back to the iphone). The locked bootloader is a bit of a bummer, but I'm running rooted stock rom with bloatware removed, and Nova launcher, which is super smooth. I can mostly use the phone with 1 hand as well so no problems there.

nataliamck
Jul 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Thought I'd post my thoughts on the SGS3 as I just switched from iPhone 4S.

First thing is the screen. It is truly amazing. I always loved the retina on the iPhone 4 and 4S and thought I'd never find anything better, but I can say this screen really blew me away from when I first switched it on.

I also love the size of the screen. A bit of a jump up from the 4S but I am loving it. It's not for everyone but I find the extra room brilliant and just as managable as the 4S ie. I can use it with one hand easily.

The next thing is the OS. I had the S2 and I didn't like it. It was slow, I dreaded having to open my photo album but ICS is running very smoothly on the S3. I also love the customisation and the widgets. Really feels more like my own phone being able to organise it how I want.

The battery seems on par with the 4S only thing I am disliking is how long it takes to do a full charge. My iPhone would have charged in about an hour. I had to charge the S3 overnight last night to get it from 8% to 100%. It must have been charging for at least 6 hours. I have been reading up online and this may be a charger issue but I will look into that. Just thought I would point it out anyway.

Also, I cannot stand the stock keyboard on Galaxy S3, I hated it on the S2 also. So I downloaded SwiftKey and it is a dream. I love the autocorrect on the iPhone and this is definitely equal to if not better than the iPhone keyboard.

There are a lot of little quirks that just add to the 'wow factor' of this phone. Things like the 'Smart alarm' that you can set to go off 3, 5, 10 or 30 mins before you are due to wake up and it starts playing gentle music very quietly and gets louder and believe me, it is a much more pleasant waking up experience than an alarm sounding loudly. There are a lot of things I am still learning about the phone but so far I am in love with this phone and now it has caused uncertainty about getting the new iPhone when it is released. I will see what Apple has to offer with the new iPhone.

andyx3x
Jul 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
The battery seems on par with the 4S only thing I am disliking is how long it takes to do a full charge. My iPhone would have charged in about an hour. I had to charge the S3 overnight last night to get it from 8% to 100%. It must have been charging for at least 6 hours. I have been reading up online and this may be a charger issue but I will look into that. Just thought I would point it out anyway.

That's odd. It only took me about 2.5 hours last night to charge to 100 percent from a full discharge.

----------

Also, I cannot stand the stock keyboard on Galaxy S3, I hated it on the S2 also. So I downloaded SwiftKey and it is a dream. I love the autocorrect on the iPhone and this is definitely equal to if not better than the iPhone keyboard.

Yeah, the stock keyboard is very disappointing. Some of the auto corrections it makes are mystifying. It auto corrects to words that I'm not even sure are actual words.

I'm going to check out SwiftKey. Did you get the paid or free version?

nataliamck
Jul 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
That's odd. It only took me about 2.5 hours last night to charge to 100 percent from a full discharge.

----------

Yeah, the stock keyboard is very disappointing. Some of the auto corrections it makes are mystifying. It auto corrects to words that I'm not even sure are actual words.

I actually just read online today that the first full charge can take longer so I think that's what it might have been. I've lasted all day today on 1 charge though so I'm impressed with the battery life so far.

I bought the full version of SwiftKey. Not too sure what features the free version is missing but I read reviews and just thought I would pay for it.

preguntonontrac
Jul 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
For you, sure they do. I use both and each has its advantages.

Just like IOS and Android.

+1
Yeah, i use windows 7 mainly and mac os is a great os that is why i buy my laptops from apple. I even used linux for a while some months ago. Every os has their own huge advantages. For entertaiment and everyday use i use windows , for work i use mac os and linux to test or run codes...

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
for all the folks that are considering the S3, there are two types, the dual core (US models) & quad core (International i9300). Best place to read on these phones is xda-developers.com.

By going there you can read other peoples opinions & see development for that particular phone. Just like how MacRumors is one of the best places for Apple related, XDA-developers is one of the best places for Android.

aznguyen316
Jul 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Explain please.

Thinking of jumping ship b/c I'm tired of the slow 3G speeds knowing I can get LTE for the same price I've been paying for unlimited data. That and the 3.5" screen feels so small compared to the many phones out there. Those are the two significant reasons I'm considering to switch back to Android.. and Jelly Bean seems great. There are things I'm kind of tied to - iTunes and iMessage but I've found some working alternatives..

xraydoc
Aug 2, 2012, 02:46 PM

SwiftKey FTW. I have the paid version (is there a free one?). Very satisfied. I've got it set for the large keyboard in portrait orientation and it's basically the same size as the iPhone's keyboard in landscape. Very nice. And medium size for landscape works well for me.

JoeyLa008
Aug 5, 2012, 05:14 PM

Hi - do you know whether the Galaxy S3 can sync with the calendar and contacts on snow leopard and mountain lion on the Mac? I'm researching a replacement for my blackberry bold - I can't decide if it's worth waiting for the iPhone 5. There's a public vote on whether the iPhone is better than the Galaxy S3 on eQuibbly (a dispute resolution site at bit.ly/MUCj90 ) - seems pretty close right now. But I'm not going to get the Galaxy if it can't sync well with a Mac. Thanks

utl768
Aug 7, 2012, 11:30 AM
im grabbing an s3 today

i have a 4s and while its a great phone its just too limited by ios