PDA

View Full Version : Cubetto BPMN: Business Process Modelling on iPad

johannesb
Jul 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Hello,

as programmer at semture GmbH I would like to inform you on one of our products, that might be interesting for you.

As a consulting firm with a strong orientation on process modelling we developed an iPad application for BPMN 2.0 modelling. Cubetto BPMN is especially designed to create process models very easily and very quick. This is supported by an automated layout which gives all models the same look. The app is available in English as well as German and it has a multi-language support for the created models.

Presumably next week Apple will approve the new version with XML export.

Further information and a quick video on the Cubetto BPMN workflow can be found on our website http://www.semture.de/cubetto-bpmn-en

We are very much interested in your opinion on the tool. So please feel free to comment. Tell us what you like and dislike so we will be able to improve it further.

Best regards,
Johannes Büschel

johannesb
Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to tell you, that the new version, 1.2.0, was released on July 14th and now supports BPMN 2.0 XML-export. You can take the Collaboration diagram, export them and follow up on them in your usual BPMN tool. Furthermore, is the app now localised in Russian, Spanish and Chinese.

Best regards,
Johannes

sbaishya
Jul 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
This looks like a very interesting app.

Something I would like to see in the future is the ability to export to Visio XML format. This would allow the tool to be used for "mobile" process modelling, with further refinements in Visio when the modeller returns to their desk.

johannesb
Aug 2, 2012, 08:20 AM
This looks like a very interesting app.

Something I would like to see in the future is the ability to export to Visio XML format. This would allow the tool to be used for "mobile" process modelling, with further refinements in Visio when the modeller returns to their desk.

Thank you for your opinion on the tool!

I am not sure if Visio uses the same XML scheme as the BPMN 2.0 specification provides. But your post sounds like it doesn't!? We chose the standard BPMN XML export since we wanted to give the ability to use the models in the most BPMN modeling tool afterwards. And just to make it clear, I have nothing against Visio and its BPMN modeling features. I am just not accustomed to it.

And sorry for my late reply.

Johannes

sbaishya
Aug 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hi Johannes, as far as I know, Visio does not support the BMPN XML format.

jlc1978
Aug 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Can Omnigraffle import your xml files?

johannesb
Aug 24, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hi Johannes, as far as I know, Visio does not support the BMPN XML format.

Thanks for the info. I suspected it somehow.

Can Omnigraffle import your xml files?

As far as I know Omnigraffle does not support this import. Omnigraffle just paints the elements and has no "knowledge" of their relationships. Sorry.

Johannes

jlc1978
Aug 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
As far as I know Omnigraffle does not support this import. Omnigraffle just paints the elements and has no "knowledge" of their relationships. Sorry.

Johannes

Thanks. I was hoping to be abel to draw flows on my Ipad and then move to Omnigraffle for editing and your product looked promising as well easier to use than OG on the iPad.

Do you have any test files on your site to allow testing of import functionality?

johannesb
Aug 27, 2012, 05:04 AM
Thanks. I was hoping to be abel to draw flows on my Ipad and then move to Omnigraffle for editing and your product looked promising as well easier to use than OG on the iPad.

Do you have any test files on your site to allow testing of import functionality?

Hey, we have a very small example in this blog post http://semture.de/de/news/262-cubetto-bpmn-120-with-xml-export-released and I also attached a little more complex example if the first works – although I don't know if Omnigraffle is really able to import it. It is possible that you have to rename it from txt to xml, I just couldn't upload a xml file.

Hope this helps.
Johannes

johannesb
Sep 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
I just wanted to tell you, that the new version 1.4.0 of Cubetto BPMN is out. This version comes with lots of new features:

* search for all presentations and objects within a project
* make your own attributes for objects
* export all objects to an XHTML file
* copy single presentations and whole projects
* export presentations as PNG to the camera roll
* minor bug fixes with improvements of the UI
* and of course iOS 6 ready

We are currently working on a new version which comes out soon. So stay tuned and let us know, what you think of the new features. You can get more information on our website: http://www.semture.de/cubetto-bpmn

Best regards,
Johannes

rhett7660
Sep 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
I am curious, what other programs does your application work with? The two big ones that I have seen in this thread are not supported, so I am curious what other applications outside of the app allows you to edit these documents.

Thanks

johannesb
Sep 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
I am curious, what other programs does your application work with? The two big ones that I have seen in this thread are not supported, so I am curious what other applications outside of the app allows you to edit these documents.

Hello rhett7660,

I am not quite sure to which two apps you are referring to!? Is my assumption correct that you are talking about drawing tools? Cubetto BPMN is not such a tool but a modeling app. It work with the contents, not with shapes. It is correct, that the Cubetto XML export is for the exchange between two Cubetto installations and is not worth much for other applications. But the BPMN 2.0 XML export is the specifications standard export. So it can be read and edited with any other BPMN 2.0 modeling application. We had tests with different tools e.g. Activiti. So you are not bound to the app.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more questions I am happy to answer them too.

Johannes

rhett7660
Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hello rhett7660,

I am not quite sure to which two apps you are referring to!? Is my assumption correct that you are talking about drawing tools? Cubetto BPMN is not such a tool but a modeling app. It work with the contents, not with shapes. It is correct, that the Cubetto XML export is for the exchange between two Cubetto installations and is not worth much for other applications. But the BPMN 2.0 XML export is the specifications standard export. So it can be read and edited with any other BPMN 2.0 modeling application. We had tests with different tools e.g. Activiti. So you are not bound to the app.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more questions I am happy to answer them too.

Johannes

Yes that is what I was looking for. Thank you for the clarification. I was assuming that the export of the documents created within this application would be editable in other outside BPMN applications (which it can, however not in tools that I am not familiar with). Most notably, visio or omnigraffle. These seem to be the most commonly used tools for doing this type of modeling and visual representation. Very interesting.

johannesb
Sep 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
Yes that is what I was looking for. Thank you for the clarification. I was assuming that the export of the documents created within this application would be editable in other outside BPMN applications (which it can, however not in tools that I am not familiar with). Most notably, visio or omnigraffle. These seem to be the most commonly used tools for doing this type of modeling and visual representation. Very interesting.

I'm glad I could help you. Yes, Omnigraffle is indeed very popular for these kind of problems on the iPad and Visio on the desktop. It is quite practical if you already have Omnigraffe/Visio but it is still just an image.This was one of the reasons for us to create Cubetto BPMN. We wanted to give the user a real modeling tool on iPad, so they would have the ability to really work with the model (e.g. the export to existing modeling tools), syntactical support and so forth.
And we think that the iPad is quite helpful for the modeling process, since it is really intuitive to use. For example, Cubetto BPMN was just part of a laboratory experiment which showed that the use of the finger is significantly faster than the use of the mouse.

Johannes

johannesb
Oct 22, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hello,

since the weekend the Cubetto Mobile apps have been updated to version 2.0.0.
The first major new feature is the universal app. So it runs on both iPad and iPhone. The big screen of the iPhone 5 is fully supported. Furthermore, we added iCloud to the export and import possibilities so you can easily switch projects from one device to the other. Last but not least we did some interface improvements and bug fixes.

If you are interested in more modeling languages and the feature to get all future implemented modeling languages for free, the "big version" Cubetto might be what you are looking for.
Get more information on http://www.semture.de/cubetto-mobile

Overview on updates:
- Universal App for iPad and iPhone
- iCloud support
- Interface improvements
- Bug fixes

Best regards,
Johannes

epicmar
Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm glad I could help you. Yes, Omnigraffle is indeed very popular for these kind of problems on the iPad and Visio on the desktop. It is quite practical if you already have Omnigraffe/Visio but it is still just an image.This was one of the reasons for us to create Cubetto BPMN. We wanted to give the user a real modeling tool on iPad, so they would have the ability to really work with the model (e.g. the export to existing modeling tools), syntactical support and so forth.
And we think that the iPad is quite helpful for the modeling process, since it is really intuitive to use. For example, Cubetto BPMN was just part of a laboratory experiment which showed that the use of the finger is significantly faster than the use of the mouse.

Johannes
I am not sure if you answered these questions:

1. Can Visio import a BPMN 2.0 XML export?
2. Can Visio export/save to a file format that can be opened and edited in BPMN?

johannesb
Oct 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
I am not sure if you answered these questions:

1. Can Visio import a BPMN 2.0 XML export?
2. Can Visio export/save to a file format that can be opened and edited in BPMN?

Hello epicmar,

I am sorry if I was a little unclear on the matter.

1. Visio by itself cannot import the standard BPMN 2.0 XML export. You have to use a third-party plugin to manage that.
2. The same here.

I did some search and found the following discussion in the Microsoft forum regarding this issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visiogeneral/thread/dc22aa3a-b347-4b9e-af2b-f7c1c80a7c49/ The reference blog post in the answer even points out that Visio only supports BPMN 1.2.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Johannes

johannesb
Dec 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hey,

We have been working on integrating a new layout engine for BPMN diagrams into Cubetto Mobile. We are expecting to release it in late January but we want to give you a sneak peek. Please let me know what you think about it.
http://www.semture.de/en/news-en/443-sneak-peek-new-layout-engine

Best regards,
Johannes

johannesb
Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 AM
Hello,

Today we released the new version 3.0 of the Cubetto Mobile apps. The benefit from this update for Cubetto BPMN respectively all BPMN diagrams is the greatest, since a new layout engine is the major improvement. The engine brings orthogonal edges to Cubetto and improves the stability of the whole app with complex models significantly. Like last time, we did some interface improvements and of course bug fixes.

Overview on updates:
- New Layout-Engine for BPMN diagrams
- Interface improvements
- Bug fixes

Link: http://www.semture.de/en/cubetto-bpmn

Best regards,
Johannes

johannesb
Apr 3, 2013, 09:10 AM
In the newly released version we fixed many bugs and improved the BPMN XML export. It works much better than before and we checked it against many modeling tools.
Furthermore, we added UML support available as In-App Purchase. You can create Activity, Class and Use Case diagrams and benefit from the powerful layout engine.

So far the users review that we received are very good. But please let us know what you think.

johannesb
May 24, 2013, 06:17 AM
Cubetto has its first anniversary tomorrow and we are celebrating with a new release!
We made a completely new mindmap version. For every element you can select from lots of shapes, icons and colors. Furthermore, we are using a new layout engine which makes the style of the diagram much clearer. In addition, Cubetto works now much better with large diagrams.

For a limited time the app will be on a birthday sale, beginning today!

Let us know what you think.
Johannes

johannesb
Sep 3, 2013, 08:38 AM
Cubetto BPMN can now exchange more projects with our desktop solution Cubetto Toolset.

In the latest version 3.5.5 you can exchange EPC, Flowchart, BPMN as well as UML projects. You just have to export the CubettoXML file and import it into Cubetto Toolset (v1.8.2) on your Mac or PC. On the desktop you can use advanced printing options, a sophisticated HTML export and even move all elements around.

Please be aware that all elements positions will be reset when the project is re-imported into the mobile version.

To learn more and get an impression on the look of the projects on the desktop you can read our blog posts on BPMN exchange (http://www.semture.de/en/news-en/570-exchange-cubetto-mobile-bpmn-projects-with-cubetto-toolset) and UML exchange (http://www.semture.de/en/news-en/572-more-exchange-possibilites-for-cubetto-mobile). In both you will find the link to the project import how-to post.

Cubetto Toolset can be downloaded from our website http://cubetto.semture.de/en/cubetto-toolset

Please let me know what you think!