PDA

View Full Version : Tim Cook at Sun Valley Conference, 'Looking Forward' to Meetings with Media Executives

MacRumors
Jul 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/11/tim-cook-at-sun-valley-conference-looking-forward-to-meetings-with-media-executives/)

The New York Times reports (http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/amid-the-moguls-apples-cook-stands-out/) on Apple CEO Tim Cook's presence at the annual Allen & Co. media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, noting that he is easily earning the title of "Mr. Popular" due to Apple's rare presence at the event.The conference, full of media bigwigs, has also been buzzing about any blueprints Mr. Cook may be hiding in Apple's magic hat. He has lined up several one-on-one meetings with media executives here, fueling speculation that he is busy cobbling together partnerships for a home entertainment expansion.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/cook_sagan_sun_valley.jpg

Tim Cook and Akamai CEO Paul Sagan at Allen & Co. conference (Credit: Paul Sakuma/AP)
Cook has been keeping a relatively low profile at the conference so far, but he did note that he was "looking forward" to those meetings.When asked what he was looking forward to at the conference, Mr. Cook smiled. "I'm looking forward to all the private discussions I've set up this week," he said.

Would he have time for coffee with DealBook?

The polite Mr. Cook simply replied, "Probably not."Steve Jobs was occasionally found on the invitation list for the Sun Valley conference, including as late as 2010 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/29/apple-looking-at-more-corporate-acquisitions-prepping-move-into-television/), but his last appearance at the event came in 2005.

Article Link: Tim Cook at Sun Valley Conference, 'Looking Forward' to Meetings with Media Executives (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/11/tim-cook-at-sun-valley-conference-looking-forward-to-meetings-with-media-executives/)

Mjmar
Jul 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
He seems to have adjusted very well to the CEO position

Peace
Jul 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Way to go Tim !

Line up all those media giants for the new Apple Television.

samcraig
Jul 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Article Link: Tim Cook at Sun Valley Conference, 'Looking Forward' to Meetings with Media Executives (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/11/tim-cook-at-sun-valley-conference-looking-forward-to-meetings-with-media-executives/)

Naturally. Aside from iTunes. If Apple is going to release a TV set, it only stands to reason Cook would be looking forward to some face time with the execs.

charlieegan3
Jul 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
Perfectly in step.

iScottn
Jul 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
What a totally chilled-out guy he's coming across as these days.

GeekLawyer
Jul 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
It's cute that he wears a name-tag.

NMF
Jul 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Come on Tim... make it happen.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
I have the same shoes as Tim!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/PSPlover11/f513d455.jpg

fig
Jul 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/cook_sagan_sun_valley.jpg

Tim Cook and Akamai CEO Paul Sagan at Allen & Co. conference (Credit: Paul Sakuma/AP)

You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better.

Allenbf
Jul 11, 2012, 03:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

little.pm
Jul 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
Shark eating nerd, just keep watching. :-)

Lindono
Jul 11, 2012, 03:42 PM

Image (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/PSPlover11/f513d455.jpg)

Why are you holding your shoe over your MacBook Pro?

NMF
Jul 11, 2012, 03:43 PM

The benefit of being a multimillionaire is you can wear whatever the **** you want. :cool:

kurosov
Jul 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
The benefit of being a multimillionaire is you can wear whatever the **** you want. :cool:

Funny, i'm not a millionaire and i can do this.

IJ Reilly
Jul 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Tim Cook could have said, "I really hate going to these conferences, but the board makes me. I dread meeting with media executives -- they are such bores and tightwads."

Now, that would have been really newsworthy!

grayskies
Jul 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
I was under the impression that Tim is tall. The guy in suit must be a giant.

MacDav
Jul 11, 2012, 03:50 PM

Of course they could, they could have their entire wardrobe hand made by the finest tailors. Obviously, it's not important to them. They are past the adolescent idea that "Clothes make the Man". You might take a lesson here in how not to be shallow.

Yvan256
Jul 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
Dear Mr. Cook,

we don't want TV packages, we want TV shows.

I don't want a package of networks bundled together.

I don't want a package of all the shows from a single network.

I want to pick and choose which shows I get.

TV is different from music. Apart from a few select classic shows, I only ever watch each episode only once. I don't want to buy TV shows, I don't want to rent TV shows. I only want to pay a low cost for each season of a TV series. If the cost of watching eight shows is twice the price of getting cable or satellite, I'm not going to use iTunes, it doesn't make any sense.

And don't forget those of us with stupidly low download monthly caps. How low, you ask? Try 30GB per month. So we also need an option for SD content.

And last, don't make us Canadians wait months or years to get the same thing as the people in the USA. It's 99% the same shows.

danr_97070
Jul 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Must be a pretty tense conversation, Tim has his fist doubled up. Comfortable in his new CEO role... yeah... maybe.

Yvan256
Jul 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
Must be a pretty tense conversation, Tim has his fist doubled up. Comfortable in his new CEO role... yeah... maybe.

Nah, he's getting ready to punch a network CEO. ;)

Rocketman
Jul 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
The recent turmoil in satellite TV content contracts (Viacom-DirecTV example) seems like an indication this confab can shed light on directions going forward as Apple quitely and confidentially moves toward an internet data only video and content feed system akin to Apple TV and iTunes, but possibly integrating content feeds directly rather than through aggregators and broadcast networks (cable and satellite companies).

It is in content providers and Apple's interest to remove a layer of cost and "stickiness" and "friction" and directly provide content feeds and menuing systems. The problem for the content owners is Apple has a meme of standalone content. Buying or renting content by the episode, series, channel are definitely going to be separate options. Content providers are already choking on DirecTV objecting to both a 30% package price increase, but also being forced to take the whole package. There are some channels they are at loggerheads over.

However. There is still the issue of basic access. Some if not most locations simply don't have access to high speed internet via wire to the home. Those that do have fiber, copper, cable and probably others. Satellite downlink is fast enough but uplink sucks.

Then there is the <40% of the population stuck on dial up or 2G wireless or worse, nothing at all.

Netflix DVD might become less ubiquitous, but is will be a necessary utility for several years to come.

As for Cook's disposition, just like Steve, when he is in these meetings, he has already done years of research and planning and he is there with a monologue. The media reports of that are generally negative so having fewer of those make sense. Right until the product is announced. :D

Maybe he is on a Hillary Clinton-esque "listening tour." "It takes a village." :D What the other guy in the meeting should do is listen. Intently. Tim could evolve the media experience massively by simply having a campfire meeting where he outlines three of his top philosophies. Steve did it with consumer appliance, Flash, Multi-Touch, Siri, and curation, and look where we are now!

Rocketman

ToomeyND
Jul 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
Anyone else notice that Sagan walks without swinging his arms?

Abm4490
Jul 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better. At least Tim is not wearing the same clothing attire like Steve once did. That's whats great about Apple, they don't show off their wealth by wearing really nice clothes and stuff. Yea they are worth a $$$$ but they don't show it off unlike Hollywood and other companies. That's why they are so unique and a lot of people, like myself love them!

----------

He seems to have adjusted very well to the CEO position such a CLASSey leader. He has done everything in my opinion up to the standards that Steve asked him too. It's crazy to think that he has been the CEO almost a year ago...

Swift
Jul 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Dear Mr. Cook,

TV is different from music. Apart from a few select classic shows, I only ever watch each episode only once. I don't want to buy TV shows, I don't want to rent TV shows. I only want to pay a low cost for each season of a TV series. If the cost of watching eight shows is twice the price of getting cable or satellite, I'm not going to use iTunes, it doesn't make any sense.

And don't forget those of us with stupidly low download monthly caps. How low, you ask? Try 30GB per month. So we also need an option for SD content.

And last, don't make us Canadians wait months or years to get the same thing as the people in the USA. It's 99% the same shows.

I agree with most of what you say, but we need to force the broadband providers to change their damn business models. No charging rent on tiers of programming. The network cannot own the shows it sells. Cable nets are digital utilities.

cadillac1234
Jul 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
Dear Mr. Cook,

Having woken up to Direct Tv, removing 14 channels only 1 of which I care about but I watch a lot of, I agree completely.

ctdonath
Jul 11, 2012, 04:16 PM

Millionaires wear the finest attire.
Billionaires wear whatever they want.

ChristianJapan
Jul 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
He has done everything in my opinion up to the standards

a solid succession plan executed ... But he also set his own foot print.

DrWeevil
Jul 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Is it me, or did others get the impression that he's a fairly tall dude? In this picture, he looks TINY... like SUPER TINY when compared to the dude in the background. Either that, or the dude in the background is bigger than The Hulk!!!

cvaldes
Jul 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
Of course they could, they could have their entire wardrobe hand made by the finest tailors. Obviously, it's not important to them. They are past the adolescent idea that "Clothes make the Man". You might take a lesson here in how not to be shallow.
Correct.

These Silicon Valley multimillionaires have suits anyhow in their closets. They just rarely wear them. Heck, Steve wore black tie to the Oscars, because that's what's called for. If Tim flies to Asia to meet with the CEO of Foxconn, he will likely wear a suit when he steps into their headquarters.

If you look at the photos from Steve's memorial service on the Stanford campus, it seemed pretty clear that his peers actually have suits.

Moreover, this event is billed as a casual, "around the campfire" type of get together, less formal. After all, it's Sun Valley, not New York City. It's like a working vacation.

JAT
Jul 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
At least his belt is above the line.

fig
Jul 11, 2012, 04:30 PM

Wow...judgemental much?

At least his belt is above the line.

:D

madrag
Jul 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Everyone is talking about clothes, but is it the perspective of this picture or the guy on the right (shown on his back): is he a giant??
(I mean, I assume Tim is more or less tall, and the guy on the right should be smaller compared, since he is farther, unless he is much taller)

Mad-B-One
Jul 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
The recent turmoil in satellite TV content contracts (Viacom-DirecTV example) seems like an indication this confab can shed light on directions going forward as Apple quitely and confidentially moves toward an internet data only video and content feed system akin to Apple TV and iTunes, but possibly integrating content feeds directly rather than through aggregators and broadcast networks (cable and satellite companies).

It is in content providers and Apple's interest to remove a layer of cost and "stickiness" and "friction" and directly provide content feeds and menuing systems. The problem for the content owners is Apple has a meme of standalone content. Buying or renting content by the episode, series, channel are definitely going to be separate options. Content providers are already choking on DirecTV objecting to both a 30% package price increase, but also being forced to take the whole package. There are some channels they are at loggerheads over.

However. There is still the issue of basic access. Some if not most locations simply don't have access to high speed internet via wire to the home. Those that do have fiber, copper, cable and probably others. Satellite downlink is fast enough but uplink sucks.

Then there is the <40% of the population stuck on dial up or 2G wireless or worse, nothing at all.

Netflix DVD might become less ubiquitous, but is will be a necessary utility for several years to come.

As for Cook's disposition, just like Steve, when he is in these meetings, he has already done years of research and planning and he is there with a monologue. The media reports of that are generally negative so having fewer of those make sense. Right until the product is announced. :D

Maybe he is on a Hillary Clinton-esque "listening tour." "It takes a village." :D What the other guy in the meeting should do is listen. Intently.

Rocketman

You know how TV began? Experiments went from 1928/29 to have the first regular show on 3/22/1935: the Federal German Post Office had show rooms with 70 seats each for the news (Olymic Games were the first big hit in 1936). That was it. Then, it became affordable for the rich, so some people had it and invited the neighbors. Eventually, TV was in virtually every household in the western world. Why? Because people demanded it and there was profit to make selling it.
I live in a rather rural area. My parents-in-law do not have the 50MBit/sec access through cable I have because they live outside city limits. They use a MiFi and streaming is somewhat possible. Now, Verizon actually offers 4G here and preassures AT&T and T-Mobile to follow step. Also, wasn't Apple working on that providers of content would bulk-pay the ISP for content? Basically, you buy a show or TV station access and they pay part of it for the distribution to you.
Thing is: For a novel solution, Mr. Cook needs a lot of people on-board. That takes convincing. If it comes and the normal way of watching shows will be streaming, the hardware and availability will follow.

Maybe Apple will cooperate with Neflix - or swallow them - and extend it to have news on-demand, life shows, etc.

AngerDanger
Jul 11, 2012, 04:36 PM

Picture of Shoe (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/PSPlover11/f513d455.jpg)

Well, I guess we know who Apple's next CEO is gonna be! :p

Anti-Lucifer
Jul 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with most of what you say, but we need to force the broadband providers to change their damn business models. No charging rent on tiers of programming. The network cannot own the shows it sells. Cable nets are digital utilities.

There are NO COMPANIES on this planet that is in BUSINESS to NOT MAKE MONEY. Plain and simple. If you start a PROFIT BUSINESS, you are not out there to make customers money, you are out there to take customers money. No business is in it for the consumers benefit. If you are in the business to benefit customers, then you are in a non-profit business.

This is basic 101 economics. Comcast, charter, viacom, Apple, microsoft, dell, acer, coke, pepsi, they are all here to benefit off consumers, NOT the other way around.

Thunderhawks
Jul 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Anyone else notice that Sagan walks without swinging his arms?

He is holding the model of the 7.85 iPad mini (same color and shape as posted) and Tim told him not to show it yet!

Looks like it's confirmed.

richardw
Jul 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Tim Cook is apparently 6' 1.23" tall.

http://findheight.com/celebrity-height-Tim+Cook.html

So yes, Paul Sagan is really tall and the guy in the suit behind is off the chart. ;)

Rocketman
Jul 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
You know how TV began? Experiments went from 1928/29 to have the first regular show on 3/22/1935: the Federal German Post Office had show rooms with 70 seats each for the news (Olymic Games were the first big hit in 1936). That was it. The show the aliens will see first. :)

lowonthe456
Jul 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
TC needs to smack the guys at FOX as their ***** movies STILL DO NOT SHOW UP IN PURCHASED MOVIES IN APPLETV.

*******s

adamryan1983
Jul 11, 2012, 05:05 PM

I was thinking the same. Glad to know I'm not alone haha

Rocketman
Jul 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better.One definition of "cool" is "don't care". I can see buying off the rack so you can duplicate it or replace it worldwide. That's just logical for a tech manager. I question his brand selection.

CJM
Jul 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
I hope he doesn't ignore international markets. It was bad enough having to wait a couple of years for the iTMS.

WalterNeff
Jul 11, 2012, 05:15 PM

I wear one and I work from home.

CJM
Jul 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
One definition of "cool" is "don't care". I can see buying off the rack so you can duplicate it or replace it worldwide. That's just logical for a tech manager. I question his brand selection.

That's sort've more.. Nonchalant. But I'm not sure that applies to your attire.

deannnnn
Jul 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
I really love Tim Cook. I think he's doing a fantastic job.

imageWIS
Jul 11, 2012, 05:21 PM

You beat me to it! They dress like *****.

Rocketman
Jul 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
You beat me to it! They dress like *****.***** = comfortable? Yep.

I wear approximately the same thing and I am not a Billionaire or guiding the world from inside my brain. . . . Yet.

KdParker
Jul 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
is there a dress code at apple? I know jeans are on the list, but if you showed up in a suit an tie, do the send you home?

MacDav
Jul 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Wow...judgemental much?

:D

We all make thousands of judgements throughout each day. If we didn't, we might run through a red light and kill ourselves and others. Making sound judgements is necessary in life. There is a difference between judging and condemning. I am not condemning. I am only suggesting there is room for improvement. This is true for all of us. I am giving them a helpful nudge in the right direction. Most people don't like to be nudged. I do it anyway, because it's the loving thing to do.

imageWIS
Jul 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
***** = comfortable? Yep.

I wear approximately the same thing and I am not a Billionaire or guiding the world from inside my brain. . . . Yet.

Did I say they had to dress in bespoke 3-piece suits from Savile Row? No. But a person can pull off the jeans + untucked shirt look and make it look good, especially when they can afford to get MTM, to say nothing of bespoke (shirts, not jeans... there is no reason to not get off-the-rack jeans).

deannnnn
Jul 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Dear Mr. Cook,

I just graduated from college and am entering into the television industry, so I've recently learned a lot about this. It's not the providers (Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, etc.) fault for bundles, packages, and delays even though they frequently have the blame put on them.

It works like this:
Disney owns ABC (and all ABC related channels like ABC Family), ESPN (and all related channels ESPN2, ESPN News, etc), and The Disney Channel (and all related channels Disney XD, Disney Junior, etc), among other channels. Disney
sells the providers all of these channels as part of a bundle. The provider, let's say Comcast for example, is not allowed to give you Disney Channel, without also giving you ESPN. And Disney charges Comcast approx. $5 per subscriber for ESPN alone, it's the most expensive cable channel out there. So even if you don't care about sports and don't have any kids, no matter what package you get from Comcast, you're automatically going to get Disney and ESPN. That cost is then passed down to the customer.

The point of all of this is that the media companies like Disney only sell their networks in bundles because it forces the providers to buy the bundles and gets them more money. Apple was able to convince many networks to sell individual episodes on iTunes, but the cost is still so high because they don't want it to be a valuable alternative to watching the shows on TV where they get money from a) you paying your high cable bill and b) the advertising that you get during the show.

It's really complicated and goes a lot deeper than what I've just written, but this is why our cable bills are so high and we get channels we don't want.

slimbek
Jul 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Is that a 7" iPad Mini in Tim's left hand?

;):p

fig
Jul 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
We all make thousands of judgements throughout each day. If we didn't, we might run through a red light and kill ourselves and others. Making sound judgements is necessary in life. There is a difference between judging and condemning. I am not condemning. I am only suggesting there is room for improvement. This is true for all of us. I am giving them a helpful nudge in the right direction. Most people don't like to be nudged. I do it anyway, because it's the loving thing to do.

Nudging is one thing, particularly for people you know, as is judging.

Suggesting to someone you know nothing about that they might take a lesson in how not to be shallow just makes you sound like a douche.

shanson27
Jul 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Is that a 7" iPad Mini in Tim's left hand?

;):p

yes

http://de.nachrichten.yahoo.com/video/idnews-26345325/tim-cook-arrives-at-sun-valley-conference-29951305.html

MacDav
Jul 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Nudging is one thing, particularly for people you know, as is judging.

Suggesting to someone you know nothing about that they might take a lesson in how not to be shallow just makes you sound like a douche.

Yeah, It makes you just want to throw up. Am I right? Being the loving and giving person that I am is very difficult at times. So, you think I sound like a douche? Good judgment. Oh, I forgot you don't judge people unless you know them well. :p

lzyprson
Jul 11, 2012, 06:14 PM

Maybe he feels fat.. Lmao..

Roy G Biv
Jul 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
Tim clearly wants to hold hands, but he restrains himself. The man is a professional.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 11, 2012, 07:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing! He seems to be really enjoying his time so far as CEO; that usually makes for a better performer. I've been really impressed with how seamlessly he has taken to the position.

Peace
Jul 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
This is a bigwig media corporation " retreat " in Idaho. That's how most people dress in these environments. If they were in Montana I'd guess some of these guys might even be wearing cowboy hats. It's the inland northwest. You need to be there to understand.

And the " big guy in the suit ". That's the perspective as seen through the camera lense. He'd look smaller if he were standing next to cook and the guy that holds all the data in the world.

Rogifan
Jul 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
I just graduated from college and am entering into the television industry, so I've recently learned a lot about this. It's not the providers (Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, etc.) fault for bundles, packages, and delays even though they frequently have the blame put on them.

It works like this:
Disney owns ABC (and all ABC related channels like ABC Family), ESPN (and all related channels ESPN2, ESPN News, etc), and The Disney Channel (and all related channels Disney XD, Disney Junior, etc), among other channels. Disney
sells the providers all of these channels as part of a bundle. The provider, let's say Comcast for example, is not allowed to give you Disney Channel, without also giving you ESPN. And Disney charges Comcast approx. $5 per subscriber for ESPN alone, it's the most expensive cable channel out there. So even if you don't care about sports and don't have any kids, no matter what package you get from Comcast, you're automatically going to get Disney and ESPN. That cost is then passed down to the customer.

The point of all of this is that the media companies like Disney only sell their networks in bundles because it forces the providers to buy the bundles and gets them more money. Apple was able to convince many networks to sell individual episodes on iTunes, but the cost is still so high because they don't want it to be a valuable alternative to watching the shows on TV where they get money from a) you paying your high cable bill and b) the advertising that you get during the show.

It's really complicated and goes a lot deeper than what I've just written, but this is why our cable bills are so high and we get channels we don't want.
And anyone who thinks Apple can wave a magic wand and revolutionize this market is delusional.

RotaryP7
Jul 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Looks like a dork.. :confused:

AidenShaw
Jul 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Tim clearly wants to hold hands, but he restrains himself. The man is a professional.

Wait for the pictures from Sun Valley's bars late tonight.

Michael Scrip
Jul 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
And anyone who thinks Apple can wave a magic wand and revolutionize this market is delusional.

True... it won't happen overnight. iTunes TV episodes and Hulu, Netflix and other alternatives are moving at a glacial pace.

But the media industry might be interested in getting payment directly from cord-cutting Apple users.

Versus not receiving a dime at all after they cancelled their cable.

JGowan
Jul 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better."You can't dress trashy 'til you spend a lot of money"

IT'S STILL ROCK & ROLL TO ME
Billy Joel

sonicboom
Jul 11, 2012, 09:07 PM
At least Tim is not wearing the same clothing attire like Steve once did. That's whats great about Apple, they don't show off their wealth by wearing really nice clothes and stuff. Yea they are worth a $$$$ but they don't show it off unlike Hollywood and other companies. That's why they are so unique and a lot of people, like myself love them!

You mean like most people that work at most hi-tech companies (sales folk not included)?

It's kind of trademark for the industry.

imageWIS
Jul 11, 2012, 09:08 PM

99% of people could tell the difference between an ok ready to wear suit from a bespoke suit, but you don't buy it for others, you buy it for yourself. It has nothing to do with shallowness, unless you wear clothes for other and not yourself.

mrgraff
Jul 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
Wait for the pictures from Sun Valley's bars late tonight.
You mean where the iPhone 5 is going to be left "accidentally?"

fig
Jul 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah, It makes you just want to throw up. Am I right? Being the loving and giving person that I am is very difficult at times. So, you think I sound like a douche? Good judgment. Oh, I forgot you don't judge people unless you know them well. :p

If I said "you're a douche" I'd be labeling you (not necessarily judging). I just made a factual observation.

charlituna
Jul 11, 2012, 11:54 PM

More he has adjusted the position. Tim has always been about logistics and deal making. He's still doing that while the design is being done by Sir Jony etc.

That approach works well since the roadmap for the next 5-7 years was written before Steve retired.

----------

Naturally. Aside from iTunes. If Apple is going to release a TV set, it only stands to reason Cook would be looking forward to some face time with the execs.

Has nothing to do with Apple releasing a tv set. The iTunes store in general needs work. Missing tv seasons the torrent encouraging delays, older seasons not even in 720. Alt languages, subtitles,etc. and then there's the movies etc. just the fact that iTunes Extras doesn't work on ions is a major buzz kill. Get that working and get features up like the discs and folks might not buy to get those bits.

mgsarch
Jul 12, 2012, 12:08 AM

lol +1

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
Dear Mr. Cook,

WE. Speak for yourself and only yourself.

I don't mind tv packages for some kind of streaming deal, depending on the setup of which networks are in the package and the price. For example I watch a lot of syfy, NBC and USA which are all owned by the same company. if a single net was say $5 a month but a package was $10 a month why wouldn't I go for the cheaper.my big deal is HBO, Showtime etc. I don't want to pay $50 a month for stuff I don't watch to pay more for the ones I do

What I would like to see with purchasing is a dumping of this separate SD/HD and have one pricing. Get all shows on at least 720 if not 1080 (some older shows may not have source that can go that high at the moment). Price by length of eps - say 99 cents for less than 30 minutes, $1.99 for up to 60 minutes, $2.99 for over 60 minutes an ep. Season passes required for all shows with a discount of no less than 10% and complete my season on all shows. And getting all seasons up with dropping them at random moments. And post all shows in all stores within two days for the country of original OTA and two weeks for all others.

Course all of this requires the nets and they are terrified of anything that might screw up their ratings. If they would credit shows for online viewing funds we might see different choices in what stays on the air and how we can receive it

----------

TC needs to smack the guys at FOX as their ***** movies STILL DO NOT SHOW UP IN PURCHASED MOVIES IN APPLETV.

*******s

Until folks stop viewing digital downloads as broadcasting, that will happen. As will tv seasons not appearing, including random middle ones. All cause some net has an exclusive broadcast deal. Same reason three of the Harry Potter films just came up. ABC Family had a deal which is now over.

That **** and the ratings are part of what annoys me about my industry.

MacGurl111
Jul 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
I love how this thread turn into a talk Tim cook's wardrobe. :D and can't believe I'm in this useless thread and reading all the comments laughing out loud. :D

Ironduke
Jul 12, 2012, 01:30 AM
I heard Tim Cook is 6ft 1", that dude in the photo with his back to them must be like 6ft 10"

MacDav
Jul 12, 2012, 06:00 AM
If I said "you're a douche" I'd be labeling you (not necessarily judging). I just made a factual observation.

Dear confused person. In order to label something you first make judgement as to what it is. Judging comes first then labeling. Have a nice day.

hickabob
Jul 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
Paul: (geeky voice) "I'm just not that satisfied with my orange Pantech slider."
Tim: (Clint Eastwood voice) "I should punch you in the face..."

Clown Boy
Jul 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
Two deeply odd looking and badly dressed men. Tim's sunglasses alone cry 'mid-life crisis'. Anyway. At least he inherited Steve's dreadful dress sense.

Mak47
Jul 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
Two deeply odd looking and badly dressed men. Tim's sunglasses alone cry 'mid-life crisis'. Anyway. At least he inherited Steve's dreadful dress sense.

Those are not sunglasses, they are regular glasses with Transitions lenses. They change color in the sun. Very good for events like this one where he's likely going in and out of buildings all day.

Mad-B-One
Jul 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
Point is: Apple is one of the big players now when it comes to devices linking to the customers. Netflix and other services get more and more popular. My TV plays more Netflix than Cable TV - which comes with my internet bundle. If the traditional stations try to block the change, they will be left behind by the streaming services. Every dollar can only be spent once. If I get Netflix for $7.99/month, why would I have cable (if it wouldn't be bundled)? If I would get my 50MBit/s without the basic cable, I would not have cable. The only thing missing is news and live shows. Wait - I take that back: A lot of news stations have newsfeeds online for free. So, there is no live shows. Wait, there is ESPN on my XBOX360. So, there is still something missing: Live soaps, maybe? Dunno. Nothing I would pay over $100/month for though - like many sports fans have to pay to see their sports channels live.
I just think that the future is On-Demand. The sooner the big wigs realize this, the better.

ewokcwalk
Jul 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
nobody clenches fists like that while walking... Tim must have a few 'Buds' in there.. LUNCH BREAK!!!

fig
Jul 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Dear confused person. In order to label something you first make judgement as to what it is. Judging comes first then labeling. Have a nice day.

Dear reading comprehension challenged person. If you'd actually read what I wrote, you'll note that I explicitly stated I wasn't labeling you, I said my opinion was you sounded like a douche (and you're doing a wonderful job reinforcing that opinion).

In any case, thanks for reminding me why I don't usually comment on these threads. While most can appreciate an offhanded humorous comment there's always someone who takes it seriously and says things like they might take lessons in not being shallow. That would be a judgement, BTW.

Yvan256
Jul 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
WE. Speak for yourself and only yourself.

Considering I have 14 up-votes on my comment, I'm certainly not alone.

Also, if the only options are 720p and 1080p, then I'm not using it either. I have a monthly cap of 30GB, 720p would go through it too quickly. I absolutely need 480p!

And I'm not alone in this situation. Even Netflix Canada added a "low bitrate" option because of those ridiculously low caps.

MacDav
Jul 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Dear reading comprehension challenged person. If you'd actually read what I wrote, you'll note that I explicitly stated I wasn't labeling you, I said my opinion was you sounded like a douche (and you're doing a wonderful job reinforcing that opinion).

In any case, thanks for reminding me why I don't usually comment on these threads. While most can appreciate an offhanded humorous comment there's always someone who takes it seriously and says things like they might take lessons in not being shallow. That would be a judgement, BTW.

Yes, thank you in confirming my original supposition, that you do after all, make judgements about people without knowing them well. Which was if you remember, the whole point of this exchange. My job is done here. Thanks again for your time.

Rogifan
Jul 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
Point is: Apple is one of the big players now when it comes to devices linking to the customers. Netflix and other services get more and more popular. My TV plays more Netflix than Cable TV - which comes with my internet bundle. If the traditional stations try to block the change, they will be left behind by the streaming services. Every dollar can only be spent once. If I get Netflix for $7.99/month, why would I have cable (if it wouldn't be bundled)? If I would get my 50MBit/s without the basic cable, I would not have cable. The only thing missing is news and live shows. Wait - I take that back: A lot of news stations have newsfeeds online for free. So, there is no live shows. Wait, there is ESPN on my XBOX360. So, there is still something missing: Live soaps, maybe? Dunno. Nothing I would pay over $100/month for though - like many sports fans have to pay to see their sports channels live.
I just think that the future is On-Demand. The sooner the big wigs realize this, the better.
DirecTV has a lot of on-demand already. I'm assuming the cables must have similar? I like DirecTV because of the sports extras they provide - special channels during the majors for golf and tennis. And I always seem to stumble across something on a channel I don't normally watch. So I don't know if I'd be ready to go full on-demand or ala cart. But I don't see Apple getting into the cable or satellite business so they'll let the content providers sort it out and throw up apps on iOS and Apple TV.

Dominicanyor
Jul 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
I wonder if they took that pic with an iPhone.😒

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
Considering I have 14 up-votes on my comment, I'm certainly not alone.

Also, if the only options are 720p and 1080p, then I'm not using it either. I have a monthly cap of 30GB, 720p would go through it too quickly. I absolutely need 480p!

You are likely the exception and not the norm and frankly it isn't Apple's issue to deal with that your ISP is run by cheap wankers that put such an unreasonably low cap on usage.

That said, they could keep the 480p option in the mix just like it is now when you buy the HD. Let you have your pick of both/all 3 sizes for all materials (including Extras) according to your preference. And at a more reasonable price like the length related ones I mentioned earlier. Then you could set your account for right now to only get the 480p (you'd still be paying that price on my scheme for basically everything) and then later if things improve you go for the next up. Just like I could set mine to stream 1080p to my Apple TV, get 720p for my iPad (looks just as good and saves a little space) and 480p on my little brothers iPod touch for his cartoons and such. And the issue of paying now for SD cause it's all that is avail and then having to pay again to get the better is solved cause it's all part of the same package.

your comment also brings up something else I wish they would add. Buying without immediate download. sometimes I want to get something because it's on sale but I don't want to bog up my system downloading it. So let me buy, have it appear in my listings as 'in the cloud' and either I can stream it or download it as I wish. Not unlike how iTunes match shows but for movies and tv shows as well. even books and apps that I bought could appear in my library. and if I have home sharing on have that appear on my devices in the common list as well. then they just need to redo the annoyance of the movies/music/tv tabs on the Apple TV UI going to the stores while my stuff is shoved under 'computer' and I'll be thrilled.

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 06:08 PM
Don't recall Tim ever saying they weren't interested in making money off content, just that it's not a big money maker. yes for the most part the media is treated a little like a loss leader to push hardware sales but if there was a way to do that and increase sales to a way that the content would make them a bit of profit they aren't going to turn it down.

G51989
Jul 12, 2012, 06:58 PM

Look how bill gates dresses and keeps his hair, same with the ikea guy.

----------

You can't really force ISPs to do very much, outside of federal law anyway.

Mad-B-One
Jul 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
DirecTV has a lot of on-demand already. I'm assuming the cables must have similar? I like DirecTV because of the sports extras they provide - special channels during the majors for golf and tennis. And I always seem to stumble across something on a channel I don't normally watch. So I don't know if I'd be ready to go full on-demand or ala cart. But I don't see Apple getting into the cable or satellite business so they'll let the content providers sort it out and throw up apps on iOS and Apple TV.

True. And how much do you pay extra to have this service? Just thinking. Also, is it really "on demand" meaning, can you pause it anytime (other than buffering on HD)? I understand it is quite similar. The difference I see is the costs associated with it. With Mac/PC, you can watch TV episodes with limited commercials on Hulu. My PC is connected via HDMI to my TV and I can just watch the episodes on-demand there - for free. For movies, I have Netflix (That is where my XBOX comes into play).

PS: Yay! 500th post - I got my "a".....

fig
Jul 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
Yes, thank you in confirming my original supposition, that you do after all, make judgements about people without knowing them well. Which was if you remember, the whole point of this exchange. My job is done here. Thanks again for your time.

I'm still trying to figure out what I've judged you on, or how my original tongue in cheek comment that millionaires dress sloppily has a thing to do with me judging people. But enjoy your world, it sounds like a fascinating place.

GRuizMD
Jul 12, 2012, 08:50 PM

Confirmed: He is a douche.

Yvan256
Jul 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
You are likely the exception and not the norm and frankly it isn't Apple's issue to deal with that your ISP is run by cheap wankers that put such an unreasonably low cap on usage.

I am unfortunately the norm, up here in Canada. A lot of people have monthly caps under 50GB and that's the combined total of download+upload. We also have even less choices for ISPs than people in the USA.

http://gigaom.com/broadband/netflix-bandwidth-caps-canada/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/01/canada-gets-first-bitter-dose-of-metered-internet-billing/
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/92005/canadian-isps-start-rolling-out-bandwidth-caps-higher-fees/

Some ISPs even have the nerve to charge "insurance" for people who go over their monthly cap.

Search for "ISP Canada monthly cap", there's dozens of similar articles.

So if Apple wants us to use their services, they better understand the situation we have up here.

MacDav
Jul 13, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what I've judged you on, or how my original tongue in cheek comment that millionaires dress sloppily has a thing to do with me judging people. But enjoy your world, it sounds like a fascinating place.

Yes, my world is a fascinating place because it contains things like logical consistency, realistic appraisal of the exterior world, including making honest valid judgments. My world is not the tongue in cheek world that you live in. Not a world where I try to weasel my way out of past statements.

Since it's so hard for you to remember the recent past very well, here is your original post.

FIG: "You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better".

(Sounds judgmental to me, but now you say it was all tongue in cheek. How convenient)

(Here is my reply to your original post.)

MacDav: Of course they could, they could have their entire wardrobe hand made by the finest tailors. Obviously, it's not important to them. They are past the adolescent idea that "Clothes make the Man". You might take a lesson here in how not to be shallow.

(Your reply)
Fig: Wow...judgemental much?

(My reply)
MacDav: We all make thousands of judgements throughout each day. If we didn't, we might run through a red light and kill ourselves and others. Making sound judgements is necessary in life. There is a difference between judging and condemning. I am not condemning you. I am only suggesting there is room for improvement. This is true for all of us. I am giving you a helpful nudge in the right direction. Most people don't like to be nudged. I do it anyway, because it's the loving thing to do.

As the tread continues I start to get facetious, because I realized you are not capable of an intellectually honest discussion. (Yes, this is a judgment). I won't post anymore of our exchange. Feel free to do so if you want. The point is that you, yes you, are a very judgmental person. As can be seen in your very first post. Later, You say it's not right to judge someone you don't know well. Then you say I sound like a douche. I'd say that is pretty judgmental, since you don't know me at all. What it comes down to is...You are a Hypocrite and a judgmental one at that. You can try to spin this anyway you want from here on, because I will not be making any more replies. It's a waste of time. You'll say anything to avoid taking responsibility for your past statements.

fig
Jul 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yes, my world is a fascinating place because it contains things like logical consistency, realistic appraisal of the exterior world, including making honest valid judgments. My world is not the tongue in cheek world that you live in. Not a world where I try to weasel my way out of past statements.

Since it's so hard for you to remember the recent past very well, here is your original post.

FIG: "You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better".

(Sounds judgmental to me, but now you say it was all tongue in cheek. How convenient)

(Here is my reply to your original post.)

MacDav: Of course they could, they could have their entire wardrobe hand made by the finest tailors. Obviously, it's not important to them. They are past the adolescent idea that "Clothes make the Man". You might take a lesson here in how not to be shallow.

(Your reply)
Fig: Wow...judgemental much?

(My reply)
MacDav: We all make thousands of judgements throughout each day. If we didn't, we might run through a red light and kill ourselves and others. Making sound judgements is necessary in life. There is a difference between judging and condemning. I am not condemning you. I am only suggesting there is room for improvement. This is true for all of us. I am giving you a helpful nudge in the right direction. Most people don't like to be nudged. I do it anyway, because it's the loving thing to do.

As the tread continues I start to get facetious, because I realized you are not capable of an intellectually honest discussion. (Yes, this is a judgment). I won't post anymore of our exchange. Feel free to do so if you want. The point is that you, yes you, are a very judgmental person. As can be seen in your very first post. Later, You say it's not right to judge someone you don't know well. Then you say I sound like a douche. I'd say that is pretty judgmental, since you don't know me at all. What it comes down to is...You are a Hypocrite and a judgmental one at that. You can try to spin this anyway you want from here on, because I will not be making any more replies. It's a waste of time. You'll say anything to avoid taking responsibility for your past statements.

Whatever floats your boat dude.

I made what most took as a tongue in cheek comment or was at worst being a bit sarcastic, you then decided I'm shallow because of it but any observation I make of you from that comment is unfair of me because I don't know you. And I'm now a judgemental hypocrite and incapable of intellectually honest conversation. I quite enjoy the standards you so evenly apply to your discussions.

It's always fun to argue with people who are never wrong, enjoyed it. C'est la vie.

JAT
Jul 13, 2012, 11:59 PM

What is it with this silly mantra? Apple is in the business of selling. If nobody buys, they absolutely need to alter their products. You're talking about an entire country that runs different from ours. If Apple wants to sell stuff there, they damn well need to fit in.

----------

I made what most took as a tongue in cheek comment
It was obviously this. Don't worry about it.

rever3nce
Jul 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
Looks like Tim Cook is doing the 'Leo strut'

put your elbow out tight , take a step to the right, tilt your head to the side, smile real real wide , LEO STRUT

sonovale
Jul 17, 2012, 03:35 AM

Image (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/PSPlover11/f513d455.jpg)
If you don't mind I have a question that What is the reason of holding your shoes over the mack book pro?Thanks:)