Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Gartner today released its preliminary personal computer shipment data for the second quarter of 2012, offering up a picture of market performance during the quarter. While Apple experienced only small year-over-year unit growth of 4.3% in the United States, the company was the only one of the top five vendors to see year-over-year growth and the company once again outperformed the overall industry and its 5.7% decline.

gartner_2Q12_us.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q12 (Thousands of Units)
Apple's share of the U.S. market rose to 12.0% for the quarter after two straight quarters of decline due to the company's seasonality. The figure, which allowed Apple to consolidate its hold on the third position in the U.S. market behind HP and Dell, marked Apple's second best performance in recent years following a 12.9% share in the third quarter of 2011. The third quarter, which includes back-to-school purchases in many of Apple's strongest markets, is typically its best-performing quarter.

gartner_2Q12_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-2Q12 (Gartner)
As usual, Gartner did not cover Apple's worldwide market share for the quarter, as the company does not rank among the top five vendors on a worldwide basis. PC shipments experienced a 0.1% year-over-year decline on a worldwide basis, with strong growth from Asus and Lenovo being offset by declines from HP and Dell.

Update: IDC has released its own estimates for the quarter, pegging Apple at a 1.1% year-over-year decline in U.S. shipments and an 11.4% share of that market. IDC estimated that Lenovo was able to enter the top five on the strength of a 6.1% year-over-year gain, but the overall U.S. market was much weaker than expected in registering a 10.6% drop.

Article Link: Apple's Share of U.S. PC Shipments Rises to 12% in 2Q 2012

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
A steady growth while the other top 5 brands are declining at various levels shows a promising shift to Apple products. I wonder how the holiday quarter numbers will look like.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I wonder how much the retina book will bump these numbers.

How about an iMac update and I would help with bumping these numbers!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
A steady growth while the other top 5 brands are declining at various levels shows a promising shift to Apple products. I wonder how the holiday quarter numbers will look like.

This is US only. International shipments for ASUS and Lenovo have skyrocketed way past Apples sales.

ASUS was + 39 % and Lenovo was +19%

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Curious which company of the "Others" had more than 10% gain.

This is US only. International shipments for ASUS and Lenovo have skyrocketed way past Apples sales.

ASUS was + 39 % and Lenovo was +19%

There's always some redistribution of sales in the PC market. PCs are quite interchangeable to the customer; someone's loss is someone else's gain. Doesn't matter one bit to Apple if customers moved from HP, Dell and Acer to ASUS and Lenovo.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Curious which company of the "Others" had more than 10% gain.

There's always some redistribution of sales in the PC market. PCs are quite interchangeable to the customer; someone's loss is someone else's gain. Doesn't matter one bit to Apple if customers moved from HP, Dell and Acer to ASUS and Lenovo.

I agree but my point was Apple has a very small position in international sales. They weren't in the top 10 in international markets.

" ASUS showed the strongest growth among the top 5 vendors worldwide, as its shipments increased 38.6 percent in the second quarter of 2012. ASUS’s strong growth came from EMEA and U.S. markets. ASUS did well at diversifying the product portfolio: starting with mini-notebook expansion, then quickly moving to the mid- to high-end notebook market."

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I agree but my point was Apple has a very small position in international sales. They weren't in the top 10 in international markets.

Weren't they? Can you show us a chart with the top 10? I haven't seen one.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Release a new iMac and a new Mac Pro and those numbers will rise.

I dare you Apple.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
I'm not surprised. Just bought a new MacBook Air 13" from them.
This is my first internet post from the laptop.

I love this thing!!!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
apple is notorious for slow and steady. This looks way better for investors!

As long as the AAPL keeps going up, I could care less if apple computer #'s surpass microsoft windows PC numbers.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
2nd quarter of Calendar year 2012 or Fiscal year 2012?
These analyses between various companies are always calendar year since different companies have different fiscal years. Dell's ended on February 2nd, HP's will end on October 31, Apple's will end on September 23, etc., etc.

This isn't restricted to PC sales analyses. Any quarterly financial analysis between various companies will use the calendar year.

Note that Apple's fiscal quarters end on the last Saturday of the period, rather than the last day of the month. This ensures that Apple's fiscal quarters are all 13 weeks long, with the odd 14 week quarter thrown in every few years.

More interesting is if you subtract Apple's sales numbers from the rest of the industry.

2Q12 (ex-Apple): 13997
2Q11 (ex-Apple): 15047

This means that the non-Apple PC business dropped closer to -6.96%. The -5.7% year-over-year PC industry decline in the chart is partly buoyed by Apple.

Last edited:

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Everyone who says that Macs are overpriced needs to take a good long look at these figures. Some of the cheaper alternatives (hardware and/or windows software) simply don’t work as well as they should and, if something does not work as well as it should, then it could be free - it’s still no use.

Every Mac I’ve bought since 1986 has made my eyes water price-wise (esp. when comparing it to cheaper alternatives available at the time) and yet every time I’ve bought a new computer it’s been a Mac - not because I’m a fan-boy (I am) but because it always does what I want it to do, and often more - from the moment I get it out of the box until long after I sell it. I used a PC just last week for a few hours. The UI was ugly, it crashed twice, it kept asking me stupid questions and then could not find my digital camera without a long, drawn out installation session.

The day Ballmer, Dell and various other people get their heads around the fact that lots and lots and lots of people, even in hard times, will pay that little bit more in return for almost 100% customer satisfaction, is the day the trend shown in this graph will be reversed.

Ballmer, however, won’t ever get it - because the man’s an idiot and a liability to Microsoft’s legacy.

Steve got it. Jony gets it. Bob (who will be missed) gets it. Phil gets it.

So yeah, we go out with our hard earned burning our wallets - and we get it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Market share is a virtually meaningless statistic. The number that really matters is unit sales and growth in that department. Apple's 4.3% unit growth only looks good in comparison to the other near neighbor computer makers, and it only looks good because they grew backwards. In fact with or without Apple, the computer market shrunk in the quarter. Puts that "rise" into proper perspective.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
PC shipments experienced a 0.1% year-over-year decline on a worldwide basis, with strong growth from Asus and Lenovo being offset by declines from HP and Dell.

Here come the "This is a post-PC era" commentators. :p

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Good job, Apple! Over the past 6 years you've gone from 4% to about 12%, give or take a Quarter. But to be fair it has been hovering around 10% for 2+ years. The only way Apple is going to break any kind of 20% marketshare is:

1)drop the prices (or offer much cheaper models) so more consumers can afford Apple

and/or

2)play more nicely with businesses so businesses adopt

until the above 2 are somehow met, Apple's probably near the cap of folks who will drop $1200+ for a desktop PC or $1000 for their cheapest laptop.

But maybe Apple wants to sit in the 4%-15% market share range and collect hefty profits. I dunno. Nothing really wrong with that unless you make some mistakes and your market share really plummets.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Good job, Apple! Over the past 6 years you've gone from 4% to about 12%, give or take a Quarter. But to be fair it has been hovering around 10% for 2+ years. The only way Apple is going to break any kind of 20% marketshare is:

1)drop the prices (or offer much cheaper models) so more consumers can afford Apple

and/or

2)play more nicely with businesses so businesses adopt

Amen. Get a mid-tower between the top iMac and entry level Mac Pro, priced around what a PowerMac used to cost (~$1500). An affordable, upgradeable system without the overkill Xeon server processors, Thunderbolt, USB 3, internal SATA III/6G and PCIe slots. A lot of businesses and professionals/high end consumers have been needing such for years. Screen real estate will always be a necessity for film editors, photographers, etc that iMac's, MacBook Pro's and iPads will never satisfy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.