PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Account w/ Admin vs. "original" Admin Acct.?

kirkbross
Jul 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
When I install applications like Pro Tools or Logic in Lion (i.e. ones with lots of tentacles into the system... Application Support, etc.) does it matter if I install them while logged into a "secondary" Admin account or must I be in the primary / original account?

Another way of asking would be, does the primary Admin account have any super duper root privileges that other Admin accounts do not?

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Another way of asking would be, does the primary Admin account have any super duper root privileges that other Admin accounts do not?
No, any admin account will do the same thing.

NeoMayhem
Jul 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
No, they are all members of the Administrator group. Only the root account has more privileges then admin.

kirkbross
Jul 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
No, they are all members of the Administrator group. Only the root account has more privileges then admin.This opens another topic I think, but what is the root account and when/why would the average user need to access it?

NeoMayhem
Jul 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
This opens another topic I think, but what is the root account and when/why would the average user need to access it?

root is like an Admin on Windows XP. You can change/delete anything without a password. Very bad idea for an average user to do that.

There is not really a need for it now, but in older versions of OS X it was useful for some tasks.

charlituna
Jul 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
This opens another topic I think, but what is the root account and when/why would the average user need to access it?

it's a kind of SuperAdmin and there's basically zero reason the average user would need to access it.