PDA

View Full Version : Apple is #1 innovator

MacBytes
Jul 27, 2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple is #1 innovator (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050727160035)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 27, 2005, 03:14 PM
Uplifting poll.

Now if only Apple would outsell MS 3:1, too... ;)

PlaceofDis
Jul 27, 2005, 03:17 PM
Keep up the good work Apple, although im not sure about some of those other companies on the list....

Cooknn
Jul 27, 2005, 04:00 PM
Wow. Voted #1 Innovator by 940 senior executives in 68 countries. That's an honor :p

jiv3turkey748
Jul 27, 2005, 04:17 PM
how is microsoft #3 theyre not inovative at all .... they havent even made a new os in 4 years

wowoah
Jul 27, 2005, 04:34 PM
how is microsoft #3 theyre not inovative at all .... they havent even made a new os in 4 years

It's about innovativeness in terms of management style, business model, and adaptability as well as product. If you knew anyone who worked at Microsoft, you'd know that their management is incredibly efficient, dynamic, and ruthless, which earns them their spot up there.

If it were just based on product, Dell would be dead last. I honestly can't think of one "innovative" product that Dell has ever released. They take other companies' expensive products and find a way to make them cheaper, thereby dominating the business. That's their innovation.

nagromme
Jul 27, 2005, 04:35 PM
Well as it says, MS is the top innovator for:

* Strong management (clearly

* Continuous improvement of products (SP2? free-for-now beta antivirus?)

* Expansion into new markets (which all lose money while Office and Windows pick up the tab?)

* Rapid strategy changes when necessary (like the slow dismemberment of Longhorn and the inability to respond to iTunes?)

* Strong management (leading to the above achievements?)

I'm sure they have something going for them other than cash, power, and a monopoly stranglehold. But it's not obvious to non-senior-exec types like me :p

solvs
Jul 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
Microsoft always makes the list, even if they have nothing to show. They were # 1 a few years ago for some reason. Remember who votes on these polls, other executives. The fact that MS focuses on deadlines and market domination over product usability is irrelevant.

dontmatter
Jul 27, 2005, 10:08 PM
wow, that list does NOT seem right. Either my opinions aren't my own/logical and are just the media's, or CEO's are majorly looking at how companies are managed, rather than their products, or somebody's on the crack. I mean, Google below GE, microsoft, Dell? Wal-mart is innovative? cheap ****** for cheap? seriously?

And for that matter, not that I mind it, but I'm not sure apple really is the top innovative company in the world- they make very useful and very attractive products, but few are new ideas, and there's a lot of competition.

Apparently, IBM is way ahead of Intel, though..... doh!

dontmatter
Jul 27, 2005, 10:13 PM

to be fair, Microsoft isn't making the list for products, and it doesn't claim to be the case. It makes the list for CEO stuff-strategery, as some might say. They're efficient, hardworking, get the maximum in market share and dollar out of everything they do. They're smart, alright. They just don't put it into many products.

Likewise with dell, GE, and others, I'm sure.

but of course, innovative bureaucracy and bullying strategies wouldn't count as innovation worth much notice, anyway.

GodBless
Jul 27, 2005, 10:56 PM
Apparently, IBM is way ahead of Intel, though..... doh!Yeah, but not in the way that you think they are. IBM is a huge company, in fact the largest computer company in the world. They don't just make processors for Apple, that is the least of their concerns. Intel on the other hand focus on making processors and since Apple is #4 in computer market share they are towards the top of of Intel's concerns and maybe at the very top of their concerns because they will want to have good first impression business relations with Apple so their relationship can last for many years. Intel will give Apple as much support as it needs from its processor manufacture which is something IBM didn't do.

winmacguy
Jul 28, 2005, 02:42 AM
Microsoft Windows = 95% of the worlds desktop computers (doesn't mean they are the best, just the most anf the best at making sure everybody has one- Now THAT is innovation ;) )
Apple Macintosh = 2.5% to 4% depending on who you talk to (Doesnt mean they are the worst, just means they havent sold very many in comparison)
Innovation isn't always about who builds the best product although being with the masses isn't always all its cracked up to be :rolleyes:

GodBless
Jul 28, 2005, 08:20 AM
being with the masses isn't always all its cracked up to be :rolleyes:I agree with you 100%. Just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is good or right.

Microsoft is selfishly greedy but Apple makes good products that benefit people while making money at the same time. You'd think that all companies would want to benefit people with the products they make, that is the whole purpose of business. Just because you want to make money doesn't mean you shouldn't help people in the process.

Money is a tool not a god.

SPUY767
Jul 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
I agree with you 100%. Just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is good or right.

Microsoft is selfishly greedy but Apple makes good products that benefit people while making money at the same time. You'd think that all companies would want to benefit people with the products they make, that is the whole purpose of business. Just because you want to make money doesn't mean you shouldn't help people in the process.

Money is a tool not a god.

That, my friend, is the number one rule of business that people don't seem to understand. People need to feel like their getting more for their money than just a product. When you buy a dell, you get a product nothing more. When you buy a copy of MS office, you get a product, nothing more. Apple operates on a different plane of existence apparently. For some reason, when i plunk nearly four grand down on a G5, I don't feel like I've purchased a product, I feel like I've adopted a child. My mac is a companion, and I don't mean that in any kind of strange way. But I know, that many of the readers of these boards feel the same way about their Macs. My computer is more of a business partner than a piece of equipment. It all boils down to the fact that I feel attached to my Mac. My windows greybox on the other hand, is, well, Blegh. It has all the vested personality of a Swingline 747 Stapler. Where the Windows PC differs from the Swingline is, where the swingline is wonderfully suited to its job of fastening paper, The Windows PC isn't particularly well-suited to anything. Granted, it tries to do everything short of cooking your breakfast, but it doesn't do any one task with unfathomable adroit. My G5 on the other hand, I have to think long and hard about what my G5 doesn't do to perfection, and the list is short.

This post is expanding more rapidly than my waistline, so i'm Gonna end it there.

jefhatfield
Jul 28, 2005, 10:38 AM
This post is expanding more rapidly than my waistline, so i'm Gonna end it there.

hey, keep on going...what you wrote is some of the most eloquent reasons for owning a mac

wdlove
Jul 28, 2005, 11:01 AM
Uplifting poll.

Now if only Apple would outsell MS 3:1, too... ;)

Apple is very deserving. They have been winning a lot of design awards, thanks to Jonathan Ives.

Yes, I would like to see Apple sales increase. Just not by that margin, don't want Apple to be a target ofr a virus attack.