PDA

View Full Version : IDC confirms Apple marketshare up 10%

MacBytes
Jul 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: IDC confirms Apple marketshare up 10% (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050727160120)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

zelmo
Jul 27, 2005, 03:03 PM
C'mon Apple! Let's get to double digits by the time the Intel switch is completed.

the_mole1314
Jul 27, 2005, 03:53 PM
I hear 15%, 5%, 3%, 2.5%, who's right?!?!? :eek:

solvs
Jul 27, 2005, 04:35 PM
Mac mini was ~15% of desktop sales. US marketshare is 4.5%, global is 2.5%. Actually #'s are another story, as many of those PCs sold that are not Macs are used by businesses, some even nothing more than cash registers. And remember, this is in sales figures. We aren't talking about machines in use, so if Mac users keep their machines longer, it looks worse on paper because more PCs are sold. Not to mention those who have both Macs and PCs. So they estimate somewhere between 5-10% actual marketshare.

Applespider
Jul 27, 2005, 05:09 PM
aren't talking about machines in use, so if Mac users keep their machines longer, it looks worse on paper because more PCs are sold. Not to mention those who have both Macs and PCs.

Or those mentioned in the NYT last week who buy a cheap PC, use it for 4 months until it's overwhelmed by malware and then chuck it out and buy a new one. There's a sneaky way to keep your marketshare up.

Loge
Jul 27, 2005, 05:56 PM
Percents of percents make for misleading headlines. Now if their market share had risen from 2.2% to 12.2% that would indeed be an impressive rise of 10% in market share.

Doctor Q
Jul 27, 2005, 06:09 PM
Percents of percents make for misleading headlines. Now if their market share had risen from 2.2% to 12.2% that would indeed be an impressive rise of 10% in market share.Yeah, people might interpret it either way. My interpretation was what they meant.

If Apple went from 0% to 10% of the market, I guess they could they say "Apple marketshare up infinite percentage"!

And if people assume it means "Apple marketshare up to 10%" that's clearly wrong.

mainstreetmark
Jul 27, 2005, 06:13 PM
Those figured never include all the cash registers, restaurant waitress ordering computer screen, or atm's anyways. I bet 30% of "PC Sales" are in these utilitarian environments.

How many home users use Macs is the REAL question. That's where the choice is. Counting PC's at large office buildings just reflect what the IT department does.

nagromme
Jul 27, 2005, 06:27 PM
Don't forget elevator control computers and animated signs :p

I think using Windows where no human has to experience it is a great idea :)

COS
Jul 27, 2005, 06:46 PM

I think you're getting confused between market share and install base.

Install base is a figure that determines the total number of Macs in use in proportion to PCs. And market share is the figure most often used to descibe the total number of Macs sold in comparison to PCs in a 3 month period.

Unfortunately, people mistakenly interchange marketshare with install base. When they say market share, they really mean install base as they're referring to the total number of Macs in use. Sales data has little relevence to you and I.

To help understand how misleading the "market share" statistic is... here's an example of how it works and how companies like Microsoft use this to their advantage:

If you and I represent all the computer users in the world and I'm a PC user and you're a Mac user and yesterday you buy 1 millions Macs. Then on the second day you buy none but I buy 1... as of the second day, PCs have 100% market share and Macs have 0.

The problem with the market share statistic is that it doesn't account for computers that are in use longer than others. For example, the average PC's life span is 2.5 - 3.5 years. The average Mac's life span on the other hand is 3.5 - 6 years. This means that their replacement cycles are dramatically different. When you couple this with the fact that PCs are in greater number AND of course ALSO being replaced more often, it REALLY skewes the market share statistic in favor of the less reliable, higher failure rate platform.

Hope that helps.

ham_man
Jul 28, 2005, 12:24 AM
Well isn't this good news. Up, up, and away!!! :D

cc bcc
Jul 28, 2005, 04:58 AM
Yeah, people might interpret it either way. My interpretation was what they meant.

If Apple went from 0% to 10% of the market, I guess they could they say "Apple marketshare up infinite percentage"!

And if people assume it means "Apple marketshare up to 10%" that's clearly wrong.

If Apple went from o% to 10% of the market, they would say "Apple marketshare up 10 percentage points" or something similar and correct english ;-)

fixyourthinking
Jul 28, 2005, 08:30 AM
Those figured never include all the cash registers, restaurant waitress ordering computer screen, or atm's anyways. I bet 30% of "PC Sales" are in these utilitarian environments.

I'm not sure if I am understanding you right, but cash registers ARE part of PC sales - in fact - they account for close to 20% of Dell's sales. The cash registers at most restaurants are pretty sophiscated Pentium 4 PCs running customized software - but underneath are just regular computers with a touchscreen.

fixyourthinking
Jul 28, 2005, 08:39 AM
The problem with the market share statistic is that it doesn't account for computers that are in use longer than others. For example, the average PC's life span is 2.5 - 3.5 years. The average Mac's life span on the other hand is 3.5 - 6 years. This means that their replacement cycles are dramatically different. When you couple this with the fact that PCs are in greater number AND of course ALSO being replaced more often, it REALLY skewes the market share statistic in favor of the less reliable, higher failure rate platform.

Hope that helps.

Not really... I work on contract with a local PC fixit shop - as their Apple Guy.

I would have to say that for for 75% of those that upgrade - those computers are redistributed - just with fresh installs of Windows. While a lot of people seem to think Apple Install Base is somewhere around 10-12% - it's not really because of the lifespan of a computer - it has more to do with the utility of the Mac OS. Because Windows 98 = Mac OS 7 Windows2000 = MacOS 8 Windows XP = MacOS 9 Mac/OSX 10.1 hybrid and Mac OS X 10.3/10.4 = Vista

Windows 3.1.1 - 95 / 98 are hardly useful at all anymore - yet Mac OS 7/8/9 are extremely powerful OS's.