Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Sure did. But if you read the thread you would see that in the last post the OP said he would post pics when he got home. That was on April 28th.

The OP did provide impressions in the first post - as for NCIX, they're supposed to be pretty reliable. I've been to their brick-and-mortar stores as well, but didn't see the Core in stock. A pity.

As an addition, the black Core is on sale for $27.99 - or $8 off the regular price. Not a bad price, then.

Last edited:

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
The OP did provide impressions in the first post - as for NCIX, they're supposed to be pretty reliable. I've been to their brick-and-mortar stores as well, but didn't see the Core in stock. A pity.

I read his impressions, just looking for more. The Core is in stock on their site in black and blue. I'm seriously considering placing an order tonight.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Where are you seeing $28? On their site it's $36.44 and shipping is about $10, so the total shipped is about $46.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70256

Only 20 left as of tonight. Here's hoping there's not a rush if orders waiting for processing.

Edit:19 left.

Last edited:

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
That's Canadian. I'm looking here:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70256

What a shame. For the $8 less, I'd consider it a bargain (especially as even the cheap cases locally start at $30-35), especially with the Smart Cover function. At the $37, I'd merely call it not overpriced.

Hopefully the cover doesn't trigger the wake function by moving the way the Switcheasy Camvas or Xtrememac Carbon Fiber Microfolio do. .

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
You received the case? If so could you post your impressions and detailed photos? Possibly even a YouTube video?

Thanks!

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
You received the case? If so could you post your impressions and detailed photos? Possibly even a YouTube video?

Thanks!

No photos ATM, but I can give you impressions from a few minutes worth of use so far.

The case fits pretty decently - not skin tight like the Belkin Snap Shield, but the TPU lip over the very edge of the bezel is enough to cover the rubber seals between the metal and the glass. Some of the cutouts are perfect - the docking port area is large enough to fit the Camera Connection Kit and is centered, as are the ones for the power and hold/volume buttons. The cutout for the mic and iSight camera are not perfectly centered, but are more so than no the Speck FitFolio or the Snap Shield Secure.

It's TPU, so it may not be as 'drop-proof' as the FitFolio was... but that was pretty thin plastic too, which I didn't trust to hold the iPad in place in such a situation, and is less prone to cracking than the Snap Shield or Canvas are. The Core certainly doesn't feel as heavy as the iSkin Solo Smart does, but is a millimeter or so thinner except in the areas covered by the PU leather. I don't like how the case exposes the volume or power buttons, but I suppose that molding covers there was a headache the manufacturer didn't want to deal with.

The black PU leather on the back and front is decently thick - it won't win awards for slimness, but it doesn't feel as big as the Speck FitFolio or Switcheasy Canvas, which are similarly constructed. IT gives the case a bit of padding on those sides, which means that the edges of the iPad won't cut into your hands.

The lid's interior is just straight PU leather - no microfibre. This is an advantage in that the case itself can be used as a stand without having to worry about the microfiber catching every piece of debris on the surface it's set on, but the small lip keeps the inside of the lid from touching the screen.

What I would say the really good news here is this: the magnets are strong enough that the lid will hold itself flat onto the screen, even upside down and despite the lip of the TPU case. It will also NOT trigger the auto-wake if the lid moves a little to the side, the way the Switcheasy Canvas and the XtremeMac Carbon Fibre MicroFolio do, without needing a latch the way the new FitFolio does... and the material of the flap keeps it from moving too much anyways.

Now for the bad news: the lid isn't as flawlessly flexible as the official PU Apple Smart Cover, and it doesn't have magnets in the back to lock the lid to the shell while the flap is folded back fully in book mode, nor does it lock to itself the way the Apple Smart Cover does in stand mode. The angles are basically the same as those of the Smart Cover, but it doesn't feel as secure. Given that I don't use those modes, it isn't a big deal to me, but it'll be a deal-breaker for others, such as yourself. And while the lid will hold itself onto the screen upside down the way the Smart Cover does (except when using the iSkin Solo Smart), it won't hold that way forever... but then again, neither does the Smart Cover.

I also have to repeat fredsarran's comments about the TPU 'lip' over the dock connector port - it's a little floppy, but that's to be expected with TPU. It won't get in your way, but you'll notice the lip pulling away a bit if you happen to be holding it there, unlike the other parts of the edge where the lip is more 'solid'.

It's not a perfect case, but a decent case, especially if you can get it cheap. NCIX is apparently a good outfit, or at least they made an impression on me - it went from 'shipping' at 12:21 PM yesterday to 'delivered' at 11:08 AM this morning. The PU leather is nicely padded, and gives the case a good grip. But the stand modes are a sticking point, in my books; if you want a stand, stick with an Ozaki Y++ or maybe the Moshi iGlaze with Versacover... or just the plain old Smart Cover.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I think I crushed docprego's hopes and dreams, to judge by the silence. ;)

Sorry about that, yesterday was just a hectic day with more important fish to fry. Thank you for your exhaustive impressions, it is appreciated.

Your review actually seems overall positive. I'd love to see some pics and video if possible.

Questions:

1. Is the TPU material that encases the iPad and makes up a portion of the rear where the leather is not present, glossy or matte finish?

2. In the book mode you mentioned does the front cover fold back fully flat against the rear of the case?

Thanks again.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Sorry about that, yesterday was just a hectic day with more important fish to fry. Thank you for your exhaustive impressions, it is appreciated.

Your review actually seems overall positive. I'd love to see some pics and video if possible.

Questions:

1. Is the TPU material that encases the iPad and makes up a portion of the rear where the leather is not present, glossy or matte finish?

2. In the book mode you mentioned does the front cover fold back fully flat against the rear of the case?

Thanks again.

1). Glossy. I've only seen a few matte finished TPU cases, and they were the less flexible types. The fact that most of the back is covered by the PU leather makes it less of a problem than the iSkin Solo Smart was, grip-wise.

2) No. Per fredsarran's review,it doesn't fold back flat due to the design - the PU leather is one piece, and is stitched/fused to the TPU case/cradle at the very base of the iPad where the curve stops. As its not as flexible as the PU cover, and because the PU leather in the area that acts as the hinge isn't as thin as that between the slats on the official Smarr Cover, it won't fold as flat, but will have a curve in that 'hinge' that lifts the cover up. You can probably make it flatter with use, but I don't use it like that often, especially since there's no magnets in the hinge area or the back to lock the lid back.

It is, however, quite comfortable to hold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.