Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
After holding out for a new form factor or something interesting, I'm disappointed in the new releases.

I've waited ages for an iBook, and am not going to wait another year for the Intel release.

At essentially equal price point for equal RAM and wireless, should I go today and pick up an old iBook? I'm sick of waiting, and for the meagre speed boost, and no boost in video card RAM, I don't see the point in getting the step up. I can hack the scrolling track pad. The only thing I miss is a few megahertz and the SMS. No big loss there.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Get the new one.

The built in scrolling is better because you shouldn't HAVE to use a hack to have that kind of feature on your ibook. It's more reliable probably to have the built in as well, since I have read about many problems with iScroll2.

You get a better video card and extra RAM. That's a plus. And your processor is faster too. Yet another plus.

And it's only $100 more. I'd get the new iBook if I were you.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Plus you get bluetooth...

What I think is, for the extra cash, in the long run, it's better to have these extra features unless you're sure you'd never, ever use them. Because when you want to, you'll wish you'd have spent the extra for the new iBook.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
The big thing on the new one is the *built in* ram is 512MB.

Additionally, you get BT. Those two things are well worth the price difference IMO. On top of that, you get a slightly bigger HD and a better video card.

So unless you get a huge discount (more than $200) on the older one, I wouldn't consider it).

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Basically the question is: Is SMS and extra 100 meghertz worth anything?

The old new iBook, for the same price, includes 512 RAM and Bluetooth.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
tsk said:

Additionally, you get BT. Those two things are well worth the price difference IMO. On top of that, you get a slightly bigger HD and a better video card.

So unless you get a huge discount (more than $200) on the older one, I wouldn't consider it).

Yes, the 512 stick is better than two 256's, and I suppose the bigger HD is a consideration. I haven't heard any talk on the new video card though.

edit: In summary, the old new iBook would be $90 cheaper, with everything equivalent except an older video card and 10 Gigs of more space.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
tsk said:

BT isn't a *new* feature, it's a BTO that's now standard. Same with the RAM and HD size. I don't have nor have I ever had any problems with iScroll, which isn't a *hack*, it's a replacement driver, and one which has many more useful functions (like the ability to map a second button to the trackpad).

However, even though I am unimpressed by the update (specially since Apple crippled the videocard by underclocking it and botching it with 32MB ram), I see no reason to get the old one unless you get either:

A. Can get it slightly cheaper with at least 768MB ram, BT and bigger HD than the current iBook.
B. Can get it cheaper with at least 768MB ram, and don't want more HD&BT.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Problem Solved: The business that is selling the old new iBook does not qualify for the free iPod promotion, since it's not an education qualified reseller.

Your replies kept me from making the phone call for long enough to note that minor (yet costly) detail.

Thank you all.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
jimjiminyjim said:
Basically the question is: Is SMS and extra 100 meghertz worth anything?

100Mhz==nothing
SMS is only worth it if you plan to drop your iBook :rolleyes:
I know I would freak out if I even got a scratch on mine ;)

jimjiminyjim said:
The old new iBook, for the same price, includes 512 RAM and Bluetooth.

I'd want more RAM than that, but if you think 512MB will be enough for you, then it's a fair price. However, if it were me I'd have a hard time deciding on which is better value.

I guess you'd have to weigh the extra HD-space to the update of the graphics card. The 9550 isn't much faster than the 9200 so in games it won't make a big performance difference. However, some games will look nicer (ex. WoW which requires PS2.0 compatible card on Mac). However, in general most games that require PS2.0 will run poorly anyway...

Oh, and you get the ripple effect :rolleyes:

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
TheSisko said:
BT isn't a *new* feature, it's a BTO that's now standard. Same with the RAM and HD size. I don't have nor have I ever had any problems with iScroll, which isn't a *hack*, it's a replacement driver, and one which has many more useful functions (like the ability to map a second button to the trackpad).

However, even though I am unimpressed by the update (specially since Apple crippled the videocard by underclocking it and botching it with 32MB ram), I see no reason to get the old one unless you get either:

A. Can get it slightly cheaper with at least 768MB ram, BT and bigger HD than the current iBook.
B. Can get it cheaper with at least 768MB ram, and don't want more HD&BT.

Bluetooth on the new iBook IS a *new* feature. The BTO option on the old iBook was Bluetooth 1.1. The standard Bluetooth in the new iBook is Bluetooth 2.0. Bassicily means alot more reliable connection and ALOT faster. Sort of like USB 2.0 vs USB 1.1

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
finalcoolman said:
Bluetooth on the new iBook IS a *new* feature. The BTO option on the old iBook was Bluetooth 1.1. The standard Bluetooth in the new iBook is Bluetooth 2.0. Bassicily means alot more reliable connection and ALOT faster. Sort of like USB 2.0 vs USB 1.1

Ooh aah, and what peripherals take advantage of this? I know that BT phones transfer at about 30kbps, waaaay lower than BT1.1. So I think in 5 years when everything is BT2.0, I will have bought a new computer :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think it's GREAT that Apple pushes new, better standards (thus making the industry start to use them), however for the end-user, this means nothing until the rest of the industry catches on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.