PDA

View Full Version : New video iPod rumor

bankshot
Jul 27, 2005, 05:28 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050727-5141.html

I personally hate the idea of a video iPod - even if it hooks up to a TV for viewing I would have no use for carrying video content around with me like I do with music. Music goes with just about any activity, but watching a video is an activity in itself, and therefore in my mind doesn't automatically make sense to do anywhere, anytime. And I've always hated that Apple stuffs more and more features into iTunes and iPod without fixing or caring about their glaring deficiencies in basic music playback (*cough* gapless playback *cough*). If true, this is yet more evidence that Apple doesn't really care about the little details in their music products!

Enough ranting, thought I'd post the link for those who like to spread rumors, as it appears to be new info. ;)

paperinacup
Jul 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
A video iPod is a WASTE of money. Who wants to sit there and stare at that small screen. My cell phone screen is twice the size and that would be annoying. They would also have to up the resolution of the screen from 176x220.

DarkNetworks
Jul 27, 2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah i kinda agree with this one ... "I personally hate the idea of a video iPod - even if it hooks up to a TV for viewing I would have no use for carrying video content around with me like I do with music.Music goes with just about any activity, but watching a video is an activity in itself"

clykins90
Jul 27, 2005, 06:02 PM
I think a vidPod (or whatever they're gonna call em) would be a sweet idea. Bundled with the iFlick store (or whatever they're gonna call that) I'd buy one in an instant. However, it needs to have a completely different design from the iPod/iPod mini. It needs to be designed with ease of use in mind and it needs to have a ginormous screen. Like that of the PSP or some of the other big screen devices. I personally think anything less than 4 inches would be unacceptable. It also has to be able to play a bunch of different formats (and come bundled with a converter or something).

It would be a HORRIBlE and STUPID idea if apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos. It would suck.

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 02:17 AM
"It would be a HORRIBlE and STUPID idea if apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos. It would suck."

I think that's what Apple's gonna do...

javiercr
Jul 28, 2005, 08:32 AM
Apple will do it not because they think it is a good idea (it isn't) but because lots of people ask for it, they ask for it but when they get I'm sure they'll never use the video thing. You want to do watch a video on a big screen sitting on a sofa when you are not doing anything else, you can however listen to music while you work, while you fight for a place to sit in the underground, when you run etc etc

taeclee99
Jul 28, 2005, 08:55 AM
I hope the new iPod video looks like this.

from gizmodo:

rareflares
Jul 28, 2005, 08:56 AM

from gizmodo:

that wouldn't be that bad (if it had a widescreen like the PSP)

cebritt
Jul 28, 2005, 09:02 AM
"...the possible brians behind an upcoming Video iPod."

Who are these Brian guys? :D

iDM
Jul 28, 2005, 09:07 AM
I won't say i like or hate the idea, i thinking going portable with videos would be cool for visiting friends and family and then playing on larger screens. However I won't commit until i see how it's done, the sizes of the hard disk, and the viewable area

ebunton
Jul 28, 2005, 09:14 AM
Ooo exciting!

I think if it's easy enough to use, and there is enough content, people are gonna use it.
In Japan, they already watch TV on their mobile phones on the way to work in the bullet train ;)

deputy_doofy
Jul 28, 2005, 09:16 AM

Damn you. You beat me to it. :D :D :D :D

mrgreen4242
Jul 28, 2005, 09:18 AM
Meh. It's 'neat' but not a must have kind of thing like an iPod is... If they have a good price on downloadable movies in an iTunes liek store, or better yet, a flat price rental model (ala Netflix), it will be pretty slick. The software for it also needs to have a way to move a DVD onto it. If they have it setup in a way to allow you to copy (still DRMed of course) just the movie and one language track of your choice onto your harddrive at a decent quality level and a about .5gb per hour (not unreasonable) it will also become a new standard in home entertainment systems...

NinjaMonkey
Jul 28, 2005, 09:19 AM
I guess I am one of the few people that actually likes the idea. I'd love to be able to carry around video content on my iPod and hook it up to a TV for playback. Though thats all I really want a video iPod for.

I definitly wouldn't watch movies on it while I am riding the train to and from work.

Lepton
Jul 28, 2005, 09:19 AM
I hope the new iPod video looks like this from gizmodo Gosh no! Make the screen be the entire front of the device. Make it the size of a PSP with the two ends holding the game controls chopped off. Put the scroll wheel ON the touch sensitive screen. Make it 50% transparent, make it disappear when your fingers are off the screen, and reappear when you touch. Keep it on the right side of the screen, with lists at the left side so you can scroll around and around with your thumb as usual while still seeing the lists. Or, make lists appear in portrait format with the scroll wheel at the bottom of the screen like a regular iPod, with videos of course playing in normal widescreen format.

ioinc
Jul 28, 2005, 09:20 AM
How cool would that be if apple let you rent movies like they do on NetFlix.

You pay monthly and have the option of keeping up to 3 movies on your video iPod.

No waiting in the mail for movies to go back and forth.
Nothing out of stock.
No trips to blockbuster.
No late fees.
View as often as you like.

When you want to watch a movie, you just go select the one you want, sync your video iPod up to the apple vid store and replace the current movie in your device with the one you want to watch. Take it to your TV and you are off to the moves.

Hattig
Jul 28, 2005, 09:21 AM
Bye bye scrollwheel.

Hello touch-sensitive widescreen display with virtual scrollwheel that fills the front of the vPod.

Sol
Jul 28, 2005, 09:23 AM
Here's what I think about the video iPod tonight. It will be a PDA with a hard drive and a camera. Users will use it to record their lives. Photos, videos and audio will be recorded on this thing. Maybe even iChat for .Mac members! I would love to be able to program it to record television too but Apple might not use that feature due to copyright descriptions. With major partners like Disney downloadable content could be made available. This could herald a new age for broadcast television as it would change how content is distributed and flip the current advertising industry. Apple products change the world sometimes.

witness
Jul 28, 2005, 09:30 AM
Bye bye scrollwheel.

Hello touch-sensitive widescreen display with virtual scrollwheel that fills the front of the vPod.
I don't currently own an iPod, I use iTunes at home/work but I usually use the radio when travelling. I wouldn't mind an iPod, but they’re pretty expensive right now. However I would be willing to pay for one that plays video, though it's getting to the point where it's more of a PDA than a music player. Why not just have a mini version of OS X installed so that you can watch, listen, play and work all on the same device… that would be worth buying!

Freg3000
Jul 28, 2005, 09:30 AM
OK, you hate the idea of the video iPod. Other people don't. How about we have options. Even if you don't want the video capabilities, Apple would surely still have non-video iPods, and the introduction of an iPod video would probably push the price of standard iPods lower, which is good for you.

Video is good. :)

dernhelm
Jul 28, 2005, 09:46 AM

That would have the potential of completely replacing the video-for-rent industry in 3-5 years. The digirati would (of course) switch immediately, and Apple would make it easy enough for anyone to switch over that had enough money to afford the equipement. It would probably take another 3-5 years for the equipement to drop to the level of afforability for the masses.

The only problem is the potential for someone to hack the downloaded video, strip the encryption, and burn it to DVD. That's perhaps one of the reasons why the iTMS has not adopted a subscription service yet, but does not explain why so may other WMA-based stores have adopted it, unless it is just that much harder to hack protected WMA files. Also, if they allowed purchasing of DVDs from the store, it would be interesting if fair use would allow you the ability to burn 1-2 copies for your "own use". I think that's the thing that the MPAA is cringing over, since it is right now really difficult for the average joe to make copies of motion pictures they have purchased, which keeps piracy levels down some.

Nastard
Jul 28, 2005, 09:47 AM
.5GB per hour is pretty huge.

My roommate can take a 2-hour DVD, rip it, re-encode to DivX, and fit the whole thing onto a CD-R. The quality difference is barely noticable on a big-screen TV; I can't imagine it being noticable on anything close the the iPod's size.

Granted, there's the encoding time, but with that much of a difference in storage impact, it's worth it.

entropik
Jul 28, 2005, 09:51 AM
:rolleyes: It cracks me up that people think the video iPod will look exactly the same as the regular iPod. No, the screen will be much bigger, along the lines of a PDA screen at the very least.

NEENAHBOY
Jul 28, 2005, 09:54 AM

I think that's ultimately where Apple's headed in the next 3-5 years. The vidPod, though, would only work if its screen is at least as big (if not bigger than) a PDA's.

Fabio_gsilva
Jul 28, 2005, 10:00 AM
Is the PSP really good? I've never saw one live, im my hands. Worth the price?? Maybe it's something very cool, but, I know it's my humble opinion, but this kind of device may avoid people to know each other, to talk more, to establish friendship...

Well, forget about it, i think I'm not good today... hehehe! :D

Disturbed
Jul 28, 2005, 10:01 AM
I am not opposed to the idea of the current iPod supporting video. I do not mean that I am going to watch a movie on my little screen, rather I would use it as a "preview" screen, just like viewing photos on an iPod. It would have a cable to which you could connect to the front of any tv.

This would be nice to show home movies, etc... when visiting relatives, etc... I don't really care about hollywood movies on my ipod. What's the point of that?? There isn't one. (A movie download service is a separate topic, which has nothing to do with a video iPod).

We don't want a separate iPod video. Apple finally streamlined its offering. If you don't want to use the functionality, fine. As long as the prices stay around the same, I'm fine with that. Or introduce it one model at a time (like they did with the iPod photo)

walkingmac
Jul 28, 2005, 10:06 AM
ok... while the Video iPod may or may not be a 'good idea', you have to think about how it will be used to see if it will be practical. Apple will not release a product just because people think its a good idea. The use for such a product is novelty at best with todays technology. OK... look at it this way... TIME! The time it would take to transfer a few videos to such a device would take quite a while under Firewire 400, and while Firewire 800 would be better, we need to think of the those freakin M$ users who haven't even heard of Firewire let alone have any version of it on their computers. Beyond the time it would take for transferring and the esthetic value (or lack there of) in watching such a full feature film on a small screen, people do want it (or so they think). The device could be nice just to keep from lugging around DVDs, but is that all bad? I see the ability of downloading the movies from an iTunes-esqe store a GREAT idea and a direction that will happen. What we do from there is what all the speculation is really about. The ability to play the videos on your mac is a given. A great way to stream the videos to your TV is a must. The ability to create a high quality DVD is a must as well (really need to think through the rights management there). Now, when it comes to transferring them to a portable player (Video iPod), how much is it needed? Everyone has a DVD player, so why would you need to hook up another video player to the system? Apple will probably never create anything as bulky as a PSP, so the displays will never be of any size for a great user experience. When do we need to watch a movie like that? A trip of longer then a half hour where you don't have anything to do. How often do we have something like that? Usually not the daily commute. A business person more so then the next person. The occasional family trip. Thats about it. In all reality, a portable DVD player or laptop makes much more sense. Also, look at the revenue. Such a device would be the high-end unit which Apple doesn't sell as much of. The price point for the videos for download would be higher then their music counterparts, but most people (besides myself) don't buy many movies. Maybe Apple could start a subscription service. Not to mention the massive server farm that would be needed to sustain such a service, even if Steve could pull together a miracle and get some of the Studios to allow distribution. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see such a download service available, I just don't see a portable video incarnation of the iPod making sense to the end user. Will someone do it, of course and already have. Will Apple someday do it, most likely. Will it be in the next 12 months... time will tell.

bokdol
Jul 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
i was thinking a video i pod would not be for movies but music videos with the itunes download. and you hook up to your tv so you can have your very own mtv where ever you go. like at parties video with the music as background.

ErikGrim
Jul 28, 2005, 10:15 AM
Look naysayers. People already love the video capable LaCie Silverscreen (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10481), which is basically a harddrive that you connect to your TV to watch your movies. What I want is THIS in an iPod. Just a regular iPod with the capabilities to play movies, music and photos on a TV with Apple's interface. In fact I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini just for this purpose. And I already have a powerbook (that I connect to my TV)!

Bigger screens with a touch-sensitive scrollwheel on top of it? Hello dirt and grease! No thanks, if I wanted a portable video-player I'd get a PSP. At least I could alternate with some gameplaying.

fabsgwu
Jul 28, 2005, 10:27 AM
Gosh no! Make the screen be the entire front of the device. Make it the size of a PSP with the two ends holding the game controls chopped off. Put the scroll wheel ON the touch sensitive screen. Make it 50% transparent, make it disappear when your fingers are off the screen, and reappear when you touch. Keep it on the right side of the screen, with lists at the left side so you can scroll around and around with your thumb as usual while still seeing the lists. Or, make lists appear in portrait format with the scroll wheel at the bottom of the screen like a regular iPod, with videos of course playing in normal widescreen format.

and give it a nice, glass screen! :) and DEFINITELY include cables to dock it to a TV, with a wireless streaming option as well :D

wrxguy
Jul 28, 2005, 10:30 AM
call me old fashion but i dont even like the idea of a picture ipod...Yea the album artwork is cool but i like my ipod the way it is...black and white (and kinda blue?) I use it to hold the most amounts of music I can, not pictures of my dogs and what my car looks like...So the idea of a VIDEO ipod just makes me laugh...come on....steve jobs your crazy lol....

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 10:46 AM
A video iPod is a WASTE of money. Who wants to sit there and stare at that small screen. My cell phone screen is twice the size and that would be annoying. They would also have to up the resolution of the screen from 176x220.

I do. My iPaq 4705 Pocket PC has a 4" display on it. Easily good enough for video viewing. I also have a Hitachi 4GB microdrive and a 1GB SD card for storing more then enough video to last me a plane trip from coast to coast. You are acting no different then the people who claim the iPod is a "waste of money". What happened to think different?

Manzana
Jul 28, 2005, 10:48 AM
and without out a doubt my next ipod will be a video capable one, or so i hope. even though it's sure to have a small screen it would be nice to hook it up to external displays (tv's) or just to watch when i'm on the go.

GroundLoop
Jul 28, 2005, 10:52 AM

I would be one of them...the other is a secret

Hickman

FireArse
Jul 28, 2005, 10:58 AM
Hey all,

I'm taking quite a keen interest in Video Codes, eg H.264, XVid & a BBC based project called 'Dirac'. (Google it - its in development, but is already near H.264 with plenty of ideas to code in!)

A big thing about this rumored 'vPod' is going to be the screen size and the picture quality. Apple are all talking about HD video. I dont expect to see HD content on a portable video player - however, the technology behind can be used.

Imagine downloading a film (in smaller resolution than required for a monitor or a TV in H.264, with the vPod playing decoding that file in real time) and being able to store 100's of films. H.264 is designed to be high quality at low bitrates, so imagine how many films you can store with that codec in small resolutions?? 60GB vPod would store crap-loads.

A key thing here is the video rights I think. It took Apple long enough to go through the minefield that is the Music Industry.

I think the film industry is going to be harder for Apple to organise an iFlick or something like that - i hope they do, it'll be the biggest thing since moving to Intel chips.

I like the idea of Video iPods. Battery life, screen quality and useability (using possible MPEG4 DivX or XVid rips??) are big hurdles for Apple.

They'll do it - its bound to be HUGE

FireArse

JonMaker
Jul 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
What about the Intel ARM proc?

capone2
Jul 28, 2005, 11:07 AM

from gizmodo:

That would be amazing ! I'd be sold.

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 11:07 AM
You guys are missing a major point. Realistically if Apple releases such a beast it’s going to have a new form factor and a new design to augment the current iPod line of products. Admittedly you never take Jobs at his word when he’s on stage but he did say that video on the iPod is simply too small. What is the solution? Why do you think the features of the Photo are trickling down to the midrange iPods and the iPod Photo itself is gone? In all likelihood they are making room for a new product line. A product line that is most likely going to be a ground up redesign of the iPod to accommodate video\Audio\Photos. That’s not to say Apple is abandoning the current 4th gen form factor. It’s simply not going to be used in the iPod Video. I personally think it’s going to be something similar to the Sony PSP but Appleized. My hope is pretty simple:

iPod Video (With 80GB-60GB drives) $599-$499

iPod (With color display) $399 - $299

iPod Mini $199 - $249

iPod Shuffle (1GB - 2GB) $99 - $150

Maybe wishful thinking. Maybe not.

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 11:11 AM

from gizmodo:

I actually hope it doesn't look like that. Sorry but IMHO the iPod's design is getting stale. Yes 3 years ago it was fresh but at this point the whole white thing is getting uber boring. If anything make it like the iPod Mini with a metal shell in multiple colors.

scu
Jul 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
I truly believe this may be Apple next big move. The kids get kicks out of seeing whimpy little pictures on their cells phones. Can you imagine how cool it would be to look at little mpgs on their iPods. Trading little videos back and forth.

Good flocks I would start buying Apple Stock. The future looks very bright in about 6 to 8 months.

wPod
Jul 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
my money is waiting. . . i would love a video iPod. . . . as long as there were some sort of online store i could purchase full lenght HD quality movies as well as TV episodes. or some sort of monthly fee for unlimited viewings of each. it would replace the TV!!!! id love it!!! i mean the iPod has reached its limits. what else can you do aside from make a larger HD in a smaller form facotr?!!?!

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 11:23 AM

from gizmodo:

If that's the iPod Video, i think it's gonna be HEAVY!

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 11:27 AM
my money is waiting. . . i would love a video iPod. . . . as long as there were some sort of online store i could purchase full lenght HD quality movies as well as TV episodes. or some sort of monthly fee for unlimited viewings of each. it would replace the TV!!!! id love it!!! i mean the iPod has reached its limits. what else can you do aside from make a larger HD in a smaller form facotr?!!?!

I'm sorry but i don't think it would replace the TV.

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
call me old fashion

Your old fashioned. Do you still use Betamax too? :p Let me introduce you to a “new” trend in music. Compact Disks. :p ;)

GFLPraxis
Jul 28, 2005, 11:29 AM

I highly doubt a video iPod would keep the same size screen. It would have to have a larger screen.

GFLPraxis
Jul 28, 2005, 11:38 AM
Is the PSP really good? I've never saw one live, im my hands. Worth the price?? Maybe it's something very cool, but, I know it's my humble opinion, but this kind of device may avoid people to know each other, to talk more, to establish friendship...

Really depends on how much money you have.

$250 gets you a PSP with a 32 MB memory card. You'll have to buy a much bigger Memory Stick (which cost twice as much as CF cards) to be able to use it as a media player. A 1 GB card costs about $150. A 3 GB card costs hundreds, so its very unlikely you're going to get over 1 GB (which already pushes you to the $400 range). So you can't really store more than one movie, on a $400 system.

And IMHO the games lineup is completely unappealing. Mostly PS2 rehashes. A number of the IGN people agree with that, so it's not just me being a fanboy.

A vPod at the same price with a 20 GB hard drive, however, would be a very interesting prospect.

pubwvj
Jul 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
A video iPod is a WASTE of money.

Agreed. What I would really like to see is Apple bring out a iPal. A hand held Macintosh. Tiny but useable so I can take my data with me. It would also serve the function of the iPod and play music. Video though is not as interesting. I would rather watch a video on a much larger screen.

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 11:45 AM
I highly doubt a video iPod would keep the same size screen. It would have to have a larger screen.

I do think that Apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos which means no larger screen...shall see when the real video iPods are out...

kwajo.com
Jul 28, 2005, 11:48 AM
Really depends on how much money you have.

$250 gets you a PSP with a 32 MB memory card. You'll have to buy a much bigger Memory Stick (which cost twice as much as CF cards) to be able to use it as a media player. A 1 GB card costs about $150. A 3 GB card costs hundreds, so its very unlikely you're going to get over 1 GB (which already pushes you to the $400 range). So you can't really store more than one movie, on a $400 system.

And IMHO the games lineup is completely unappealing. Mostly PS2 rehashes. A number of the IGN people agree with that, so it's not just me being a fanboy.

A vPod at the same price with a 20 GB hard drive, however, would be a very interesting prospect.

I bought a psp last week and got a 1GB card for about $90, and I like it very much. the screen was what sold me. once I saw it in real life,the clarity blew me away. now I use it to show rough cuts of video to clients, as well as the games (I only have 2, but I also have a wide selection of emulators of classic Genesis and NES games), and the photo showing ability has already served me well. I dont know if it'll stay interesting to me, but right now I think it's great, though it won't replace my ipod & ipod shuffle for mp3 playback (mostly because they are smaller and I have a lot of iTMS tracks)

skipjakk
Jul 28, 2005, 11:49 AM
How about a video Ipod with a larger OLED screen (not sure if this is possible yet), that has all the functionality of the regular Ipod plus video playback, (and higher price tag of course), plus revamped iPods with video out so you can carry a few movies, plug into a video out source......

madmaxmedia
Jul 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
Apple is not going to release a brand new device for video, the market is way too small for it. And they are not going to use a touch screen display to replace the clickwheel, people like real controls with clickable buttons.

In all likelihood Apple will gradually add video capability to the existing iPod line, just like they added photo. It's not a 'killer' feature, but is a nice value added feature to further develop the overall iPod line, especially in a year and a half when even the cheapest iPod has video capability.

What they might do is increase the screen size a bit (there's a little bit of room), with higher resolution. They're not going to increase the physical size of the iPod, as most people are still going to use the iPod primarily for music. They're not going to sacrifice overall usability to increase video playback functionality.

It will of course have video out, just like the iPod Photo currently has. For those who really want a bigger portable screen, some company will come out with a decent portable screen that has a similar footprint, with an integrated battery that will work good with a 'iPod Video'. It will also be white. ;)

brians.account
Jul 28, 2005, 11:53 AM
i'm guessing i'm not the first person to see this as i'm no mac sleuth by any means but possibly itunes is already ready for music videos and the like. when i opened a native quicktime file with itunes it played the video where the cd coverart is usually located and had a little camera icon beside the file's name.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/briansaccount/itunesmovies.jpg

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 12:03 PM
I do believe that the main purpose of releasing the video iPod is for it to play music videos or clips or short trailers...
HD Movies? Maybe later, i don't think that is Apple's Main purpose of releasing the video iPod...

seashellz
Jul 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
>>I personally hate the idea of a Cell phone - even if it hooks up to a network for talking anywhere, I would have no use for carrying a telephone around with me. Talking on the phone is an activity in itself, requireing your undivided attention-and therefore in my mind doesn't automatically make sense to do anywhere, anytime. I mean-come-on-talking on the phone while at the store? Walking down the street? In your CAR!?!?!?. Sheesh, some folks are dreaming. I've also always hated that Nioka stuffs more and more features into its phones without fixing or caring about their glaring deficiencies in basic usability. ie: (cough* clear signal cough*) and size- 2 pound phone would just be TOO much trouble to carry around. If true, this is yet more evidence that Nioka doesn't really care about the little details that make talking on the phone AT HOME so enjoyable.

MJ-August 1991

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
They're not going to increase the physical size of the iPod, as most people are still going to use the iPod primarily for music. They're not going to sacrifice overall usability to increase video playback functionality.

Totally agree with this one...
:D

MacHarne
Jul 28, 2005, 12:22 PM
They're not going to increase the physical size of the iPod, as most people are still going to use the iPod primarily for music. They're not going to sacrifice overall usability to increase video playback functionality.
I'm not so sure on that guess. Look at how the original iPod has evolved. iPod > iPod mini > iPod photo > iPod shuffle. There is a great difference between the original iPod and the iPod shuffle, granted they do serve the same proper function, that of playing music. But they are targeted to different consumer crowds. And that is likely going to be the case with a video iPod.

I would expect some kind of form-factor modification for a video iPod, but nothing that would heavily stray from the ubiquitous white design. The earlier submitted concept from gizmondo seems a bit too large and awkward to serve as a portable video player. Viewing photos on an iPod looks great, so the resolution quality really isn't an issue; more so, I would expect the screen to be only slightly larger than the existing screen size we are used to. Probably something to perfectly fit the music videos now being sold on the iTMS.

Overall, I am very excited about a video iPod. Having something to quickly watch on my daily bus commutes will be fantastic. I don't expect myself to watch a movie on one, but television shows and music videos will certainly fill my video iPod library. I'm getting anxious to retire this 3G iPod of mine :)

madmaxmedia
Jul 28, 2005, 12:23 PM
i'm guessing i'm not the first person to see this as i'm no mac sleuth by any means but possibly itunes is already ready for music videos and the like.

Not only that, but there are some video podcasts now too. I suscribed to one (didn't know it was video), and since I have podcasts set to auto-update I got a message from iTunes saying that the podcast wasn't going to be transferred because my device wasn't video-capable.

It doesn't automatically mean that a video-capable iPod is coming, but it was interesting. I guess iTunes can manage PDF's now, I wonder what happens when you try to copy a PDF to your iPod. Maybe a very similar message...

I do believe that the main purpose of releasing the video iPod is for it to play music videos or clips or short trailers...
HD Movies? Maybe later, i don't think that is Apple's Main purpose of releasing the video iPod...

Another great app would be for playing TV content captured by an Elgato or similar device. I am positive that if and when an iPod Video is released, within 2 months Elgato will release an EyeTV software update that provides iPod Video compatiblity with full iTunes synchronization.

A small screen would be fine IMO for watching sitcoms, last nite's Sportscenter, etc...Since the content is free and very easy to capture, it's less of a big deal than say ripping a DVD.

I just bought a $200 Plextor box that uses the EyeTV software, it's really a nifty device. It encodes to Divx or MPEG4 in hardware (so no PC overhead to convert video), and links to TitanTV.com for full Tivo-like functionality.

It's not a killer feature by any means, but would be really cool IMO.

Fabio_gsilva
Jul 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
A 512 mb iPod shuffle costs around US$ 280... So, if Apple starts selling Ipod Video's for. lets say US$ 599, it'll probably cost around US$ 1.600 or more here in Brazil... :eek: For instance, it's high unlikely that someday i'll buy a iPod Video, because it's price will be prohibitive for me...

I'm dying to buy an iPod shuffle, but for now prices are a shame! I'll have to wait a little longer to get one... maybe next year...

SiliconAddict
I do think that Apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos which means no larger screen...shall see when the real video iPods are out...

Which makes it next to useless. try using an iPod Photo sometime and bring up a photo. The screen is next to useless trying to pick out details. Great for just viewing a pict but forget trying to see what that person has in her hands. Or name of the bar in the background.
Its too small and too low res. Video would be just as bad on a 2" screen Realistically you need a 3"-4" widescreen to make it anything other then a joke. If Apple simply integrates video into the current form factor of the iPod they may as well write the thing off before it ships. The whole point of an iPod video is to play video. Otherwise you will just go out and get a normal iPod. If Apple does a half***ed job by just slapping video playback in the thing they are screwed. If nothing else the PSP will eat them alive. Again the point of an iPod video is to play video. If that is what a buyer is looking into they are going to glance over at the PSP look at the iPod's smalls screen and say screw that. The only thing that would make the iPod Video better then the PSP is if there is a video store. (Which is also what makes the iPod itself so attractive.) But that would mean Apple is making a major effort into video which to me means they wouldn't do a half***ed job putting video into an ipod.

tacojohn
I think they're going to cover the front of a standard iPod with a widescreen and implement a touch screen scroll wheel thingie.

The video iPod will support H.264 video playback of HD content that is sold through the iMovie store on the internal screen as well as be able to hook it up to a HDTV via a dock connector HDMI connection.

Thus totally bypassing Blueray and HD-DVD and making the iPod for video (storing content without the physical media) and bringing HD to the mass market faster.

Plecky
Jul 28, 2005, 12:29 PM
The one thing I'm afraid of with this "video iPod" is the one of the most important factors for portable devices IMO, battery life. I feared what adding a color screen and photo-viewing to the orignial iPod would do for its Battery Life and amazingly it got more battery life playing music then its monochrome counterpart, although I think thats just due to a increase in technology. If the current iPod line was monochrome I'm sure it would get well over 15 hours, not to mention it only gets 5 hours when using it for a slideshow. The same will probably happen with a video iPod, 5 hours for video and 15 for audio. So far the only iPod model I like where its going by keeping its roots (if I wanted a photo viewer, I can do that in my digital cameras screen, or a video viewer I can do that on the screen of my DV Video Camera) but if I want something solely for music, the iPod mini seems the best deal with 18+ REAL WORLD hours of battery life, quicker recharge times, but only offers up to 6 gigs (and I hear the next models going to be 2 gigs of flash? That's nice but can they still release a 8 gig or some bumped up storage model especially if the iPod line is just going to the way of video and probably less-battery life as well). I'm sorry but I highly value battery life, much more then photo/video viewing capabilities in my portable audio player. If wanted a portable media player I probably would've got a Creative, iRiver, or Sony PSP. But I don't need a 2-in-1 or even a all-in-one solution, I just need what the iPod was originally meant to be. Stop working on adding new features (like someone mentioned above) and fix the current problems like gapless-playback and although 18+ hours of battery life in my Mini is plenty, I'd have no argument asking for more - especially the full size iPod's which I would love to see have as much battery as the new Sony's (which get 35+ hours I believe) or the Creative Zen Touch (which is rated at 24+ hours I believe). If not, the only other solution I would support is the possibility for more battery life away from a USB/Firewire/AC-adapter port is user-replaceable or swappable batteries! Although this seems common knowledge and probably should already be offered, but if there not working on increasing the battery life and probably decreasing it with all these new battery-draining features. At least give us a user-replaceable battery that can be switched as easily as they are on iBooks and PowerBooks...

lopresmb
Jul 28, 2005, 12:29 PM
dangit, I want to be able to encode my DVD's (about 100 or so) and carry then around in my pocket and be able to watch them on a television and surround system instead of having to carry around to cd folders filled with movies. In the same way I don't want to carry around all those CD's I am tired of lugging DVD everywhere I want to watch. And also the prospect of being able to watch movies on the go (ala PSP) would be pretty cool as well... just my two cents...

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
I think they're going to cover the front of a standard iPod with a widescreen and implement a touch screen scroll wheel thingie.

Doubt it will be touchscreen. I use my fingers on my PDA and while I don't have the greasiest hands on the planet the screen gets smudged to death in a matter of minutes. Maybe something on the side of the device. A touchpad on the side that you run your finger across to navigate the interface?

madmaxmedia
Jul 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
Has the PSP eaten the iPod or iPod Photo alive? They're completely different devices.

Apple could release a product specialized for video. But the problem is the market size just isn't there. People have been listening to portable music players for years, so the iPod makes sense. A portable video player would be a cool geek toy, but not be a big seller like the iPod.

The alternative route is to add video to existing iPods. It really doesn't add much to the cost, it's just adding new features like they added contacts, games, photos, and now video. The point is not to sell a video player, the point is to further develop the iPod product.

They're going to keep the current lineup, and slap in a 80GB iPod Video at the top. It will be priced relative to the other iPods. So if you want an 80GB iPod for music, or a video iPod you will buy that model (just like the original iPod Photo.) Later, the video feature will trickle down to the other models, and in a year and a half the $299 iPod will have video too. Don't like video? It doesn't matter, it doesn't negatively affect you because the iPod still has the same great form factor and usability as always.

The other huge benefit for Apple is to maintain current pricing levels. If they don't add new features, the price points will erode over time due to competition. Apple doesn't want to be selling $149 regular iPods in 2 years. Actually, neither does anyone else, but either you come out with a cheaper product or you come out with a better product than everyone else.

Which makes it next to useless. try using an iPod Photo sometime and bring up a photo. The screen is next to useless trying to pick out details. Great for just viewing a pict but forget trying to see what that person has in her hands. Or name of the bar in the background.
Its too small and too low res. Video would be just as bad on a 2" screen Realistically you need a 3"-4" widescreen to make it anything other then a joke. If Apple simply integrates video into the current form factor of the iPod they may as well write the thing off before it ships. The whole point of an iPod video is to play video. Otherwise you will just go out and get a normal iPod. If Apple does a half***ed job by just slapping video playback in the thing they are screwed. If nothing else the PSP will eat them alive. Again the point of an iPod video is to play video. If that is what a buyer is looking into they are going to glance over at the PSP look at the iPod's smalls screen and say screw that. The only thing that would make the iPod Video better then the PSP is if there is a video store. (Which is also what makes the iPod itself so attractive.) But that would mean Apple is making a major effort into video which to me means they wouldn't do a half***ed job putting video into an ipod.

Matthé
Jul 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
shouldn't those twats at SHARP make their bluetooth phones compatible with os x first before bragging about something that isn't here yet?

RIP
Jul 28, 2005, 12:55 PM
FLOP!

swedeykx
Jul 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
I have read this forum for a while now. Well.

The video iPod. I got a photo 60 gb. I love this as I know I have my pictures backed up at all times. I already lost a couple hundred pictures when My hard drive crashed in my new PB. There are two big features that is needed. To be able to back up the movie folder in the User in OS X. This can be by dragging the folder to the iPod and use it as a HD. BUT if we can view the simple once that would be great. iPhoto already supports Video. What is needed now is that the video sequences that we take with our digital cameras can be viewed in our iPods.

With a feature like this we dont need to either plug the camera or computer into the TV when we want to view our digital camera albums.

If we get the ability to show video on a display (read TV) via the iPod that would be cool. We would not need to bring a computer or DVD's to our freinds to watch a movie. Just bring the iPod. Music during the trip and video when you get there.

There are so many options for people if Apple introduces a video function on the iPod.

If I was Apple I would use the tablet design and create a very low end laptop but high end PDA mix. With this users can have a portable video player. I would keep the iPod the same design as people relate to this. It might be borning but people know that the iPod looks like it does. That is good. We as comsumers need to see it in other peoples hands or be (ohh cool). The "ooh cool" people are the trend setters. They will buy a new design while the rest will not do this until they dare to.

Everything with video from apple should be HD format as that is the new standard.

"Apple - Biring on the video. We want it. Dont change the design just more options off diffrent looks, create new product for movie watching."

Dahl
Jul 28, 2005, 12:59 PM
I don't think an iPod Video is going to be that bad.
It might be very cool.

Sure, it has to get a new look, it can't look like the original iPods.
But it would be stupid to ignore the idea of an video device.
It WILL happen, question is if Apple waits too long.
I would rather see them make a product now and and update it later than wait and wait.

Casshan
Jul 28, 2005, 01:06 PM
http://powermacg5.ece.iastate.edu/~jmesterh/airporthd/airporthd.jpg

This is a mockup I made for Think Secret a week ago. (More pictures & details here (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?postid=220545#post220545))

Yeah, it would be neat if an iPod could play movies, but it would never have enough CPU or battery to play anything in HD. Maybe if you could play music videos on it, that would be cool. But other than long plane rides, it doesn't make sense. And most people would prefer to watch on a laptop in that case.

I'd rather have a home stereo component, like the Airport Express, that feeds video and audio (in high definition and surround) from a Mac, and nothing more. This would keep the price sane.

If could go to iTunes and purchase a DVD quality movie (with all the DVD extras!) and them stream it to my living room I would never purchase a DVD again! There are way more possibilities, like HD feeds of sold out concerts, live (well buffered anyway). Plus, having an external component like this, with a built-in H264 decoder would get around the fact that very few Macs can play full-framerate HD movies anyway.

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
Has the PSP eaten the iPod or iPod Photo alive? They're completely different devices.

Not where video is concerned. The only issue with the PSP is the lack of a hard drive. That will be coming out this fall as an addon. The combined total being prob in the ballpark of what an iPod Video will be. Remember Sony is trying to pull a Trojan horse with the PSP. Its being marketed as a game device but there is a reason why they are trying to sell movies that play on it as well.

pontecorvo
Jul 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
However I won't commit until i see how it's done, the sizes of the hard disk, and the viewable area
Well, you just did.

ccrandall77
Jul 28, 2005, 01:12 PM
Bye bye scrollwheel.

And hello greasy finger prints all over the screen!! I don't think this is a good idea. Perhaps a linear scroll bar (like on the iRiver MP3 players) off to the side or on the bottom would work better.

Personally, I'd love to see a video iPod and I don't understand all of these people saying it's a stupid idea, yada, yada. Just because YOU wouldn't use it doesn't mean a whole lot of other people would.

I just bought a PSP and it's great for use as a PMP. I record using EyeTV on my Mac and then export to my memory stick. I get about 4hrs of TV on a 1GB memory stick... a full movie at higher video quality will also fit.
Previously, I've used my Treo650 and Zaurus C760 for the same thing and that was just fine.

If they do come out with a vPod, I'd like to see it integrated with a home media center. Perhaps a HMC as a new product or an add of for an existing Mac (like the Mini). I could see downloading TV, movies, music vids, etc. on to it and then taking it over to one of my friend's houses. Since I have a few friends that are Apple fans, this would work out quite well.

In fact, I could do something like that now with my iMac/EyeTV/iPod-mini, but it'd be a much more manual process.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 28, 2005, 01:15 PM
What is everyones problem with a video iPod? If you don't want to watch a video on an iPod then don't move a video to your iPod! It will still play music and whatever else you want it to. Its a given (well to me at least) that the iPod will at some point play video. To say that there is no market for it is just plain stupid. There was really no market for mp3 players until the iPod came out. And go back and look at the archives when the iPod was introduced, everyone thought it was going to be a HUGE flop and now...

Here is just one example that people want a "vPod" (http://www.engadget.com/entry/3756421320807387/) and want it bad. Not only would they go through all those steps to have a make shift video iPod but then use the wheel like a 1920's picture show crank.

And I'm willing to bet that the ipod dimmensions will not change very much. They might be able to make the screen a little bigger but I don't think we will see anything different like a whole screen to view vids or a much longer iPod to support wide screen.

Surreal
Jul 28, 2005, 01:16 PM
call me old fashion but i dont even like the idea of a picture ipod...Yea the album artwork is cool but i like my ipod the way it is...black and white (and kinda blue?) I use it to hold the most amounts of music I can, not pictures of my dogs and what my car looks like...So the idea of a VIDEO ipod just makes me laugh...come on....steve jobs your crazy lol....

i'm actually sad that they didnt make a black and white high capacity ipod with battery life and storage in mind.

SiliconAddict
Jul 28, 2005, 01:17 PM
Video iPod = FLOP!

Wow how did a post from 2001 show up on this thread? :rolleyes:

MacIke
Jul 28, 2005, 01:27 PM
I think that Apple will make the video ipod.

I have said before several times (http://www.planetisaac.com/articles/0507.22.videoipod.html) that Apple will make the video iPod. And as usual it is to stay ahead and make more money.

Jimmni
Jul 28, 2005, 02:22 PM
I do NOT think Apple will release a video iPod. They might release an iPod with limited video capability - i.e. play music videos - but not one to play full feature films. They may well be prepping an iDVD Movie Store but it'll be pushed in conjunction with new, indispensible bit of kit Apple will release that is seperate from the iPod line and probably lives in the sitting room. There just isn't the demand for movies on the go. Firstly, not many people would have the opportunity to watch whole movies on the go, and secondly such a little screen inevitably leads to sore eyes and loss of focus. A 3 minute music video or 5 minute cartoon could be watched on the bus or the crapper, but it would be a pain stopping and starting a film.

I haven't read the whole thread so if someone else already said this, then I agree with them!

ioinc
Jul 28, 2005, 02:58 PM
FLOP!

It will be amusing when apple releases this and everyone who talked badly about it turns around and starts talking about it like it is the best thing in the world and only apple could pull it off.

Just like what happened when intel rumors turned out to be true.

"These aren’t the droids your looking for... move along"

Elektronkind
Jul 28, 2005, 03:01 PM
I really doubt that the LH7A400 is the chip to be used.

For one, the in-built USB controller on this chip is only USB 1.1-compliant, not 2.0. USB 1.1 is too slow for transferring video from a host computer.

Unless they're using USB 2.0 controller that's separate from the SOC, but I doubt it. That would make for more power consumption

/dale

oskar
Jul 28, 2005, 03:20 PM
Yay another video iPod rumor! :rolleyes:
I bet those that say they don't like the idea of a video iPod already own an iPod Photo or maybe any other iPod. Video is going to be the next big thing in iPods and many probably don't like that their iPods will never have the processing power to do the same stuff new iPods could.
On the other hand, maybe people are imagining too much and the video function wouldn't really be advertised as for playing back full-length movies. Maybe Apple would use small animations to simulate an OS X feel and maybe let you see small video files and trailers. But that would probably mean that you could see any video file on the iPod anyway, the difference beeing that Apple doesn't say it's meant for that.

BornAgainMac
Jul 28, 2005, 04:13 PM
Video iPod = Quicktime = Online Movies = Diminished Windows Media Marketshare

Windows Media needs to go. It is terrible. Bring that iPod Video to mainstream.

the-fish
Jul 28, 2005, 04:43 PM
They're doing with the iPod line what they should be doing with their applications and hardware. They've consolidated iPod into a mini media thing, and they're continuing on that theme, but whatever happened to the "Digital Hub"?!. Surely they should have some kinda Mac/TV/Radio media centre thing running, or have consolidated their programs in an intuitive way? I mean, what's going on with iTunes/Quicktime? I suppose, as they've made iTunes video enabled or whatever, they're trying to make that truly "multi"media, but they're focusing up on their money spinning iPod/iTunes combo and not on what needs attention: the basic OS apps - in my opinion (*gets ready to be flamed*) there should be ONE app for playing, organising and looking at photo/video/audio files, another app capable of displaying spreadsheets, documents and whatever accurately, another for file browsing, web browsing, RSSing and disk utilities, another for configuring the computer etc. instead of spreading the whole thing out across lots of programs that are losing the Apple trademarks of usability and intuitive control - look at Pages for example - why the ... er... why on earth is TextEdit better than Pages as a word processor? Admittedly it's more of a layout tool but jeeeeeeeeez at least give the user some option like "layout mode/text edit mode" for example? *ends rant* What am I meant to be talking about? Oh yeah. viPod. Perhaps they could make a consolidated PocketMac thing. That'd be nice. *shrugs*

csubear
Jul 28, 2005, 05:08 PM
I do NOT think Apple will release a video iPod. They might release an iPod with limited video capability - i.e. play music videos - but not one to play full feature films. They may well be prepping an iDVD Movie Store but it'll be pushed in conjunction with new, indispensible bit of kit Apple will release that is seperate from the iPod line and probably lives in the sitting room. There just isn't the demand for movies on the go. Firstly, not many people would have the opportunity to watch whole movies on the go, and secondly such a little screen inevitably leads to sore eyes and loss of focus. A 3 minute music video or 5 minute cartoon could be watched on the bus or the crapper, but it would be a pain stopping and starting a film.

I haven't read the whole thread so if someone else already said this, then I agree with them!

if macrumors had mod points, i'd mod this guy up.

i think we should be thinking something like airport express w/ video.

dan-o-mac
Jul 28, 2005, 05:14 PM
Bye bye scrollwheel.

Great idea I enjoy watching movies with fingerprints covering the screen. :rolleyes:

quigleybc
Jul 28, 2005, 05:14 PM

from gizmodo:

If Apple made a product that looked like that, it would be pandemonium.

And everyone would be clawing to get one.

A video iPod is innevitable, and if it looked anything like that pic, well, it would be amazing.

I think the idea of vid iPod is great. Just not on the current iPod versions. :)

areyouwishing
Jul 28, 2005, 06:13 PM
This must mean we are finally getting our Powerbook G5 next tuesday!

MacIke
Jul 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

I thought Steve told me it was going to be a dual-core G5

pubwvj
Jul 28, 2005, 06:21 PM
I thought Steve told me it was going to be a dual-core G5

No, he said Quad-core. :)

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 28, 2005, 06:27 PM
Isn't one of the main points to the iPod is that it fits neatly in your pocket. I know if it was much bigger I probably get a mini or something. That pic from engadget makes the thing look friggin huge.

oskar
Jul 28, 2005, 06:47 PM
Isn't one of the main points to the iPod is that it fits neatly in your pocket. I know if it was much bigger I probably get a mini or something. That pic from engadget makes the thing look friggin huge.

Those images are just concept images of what one (or a few) designer(s) think the product will look like. I don't have the time to make my own but the concept I would have for a video iPod would be something like a small ibook. IOW, the pod would have a flip-top screen, like a laptop. Imagine the current iPod cut in 1/2 at its width. Inside on one of the sides is the screen and on the other is the clickwheel or other controls. Well just taking my guess as how it could be, because everybody has imagined it to be only a one-part device. Or maybe it could have a drawer with controls under the screen like the annoying drawers some pre-Tiger apps have. :p

Edit: oops forgot preview and some other apps still have those drawers.

geerlingguy
Jul 28, 2005, 07:01 PM
I actually hope it doesn't look like that. Sorry but IMHO the iPod's design is getting stale. Yes 3 years ago it was fresh but at this point the whole white thing is getting uber boring. If anything make it like the iPod Mini with a metal shell in multiple colors.

I'm noticing some people choosing the iPod mini solely because it 'looks cooler'; silver is by far the most popular.

It's interesting that, with the computers, white=consumer/'low end' and silver/aluminum=pro/'high end'. But with the iPod, it's reversed... sort of (the regular iPod has that oh-so-easy-to-make-fingerprints-on shiny silver back and the white front...).

Dagless
Jul 28, 2005, 07:06 PM
no. i just dont like that idea. it restricts too many senses for when you're outside, and when you're inside then the iMac/eMac/MacMini/iBook/Powermac/Powerbook would surely be an adequate video viewing device?
i see things like this;

iPod: restricts hearing. dependent on volume of course

videoPod: restricts hearing depending on the volume. restricts vision. unlike my ears i cant turn down the image so i can see just a bit overlayed over whats infront of me.

surely Apple of all people know that portable video sucks? hmmm... unless they're planning something different to what we're all thinking about.

SeaFox
Jul 28, 2005, 07:14 PM
<i>"Sharp sales reps are bragging to potential customers that Apple will be using the Sharp LH7A400 SOC (system on a chip) in the initial version of the video iPod."</i>

If they're leaking insider knowledge about future Apple products, they can't be that sharp. That would be the fastest way to get Apple drop their company's chips (and the company to drop those sales reps).

Oh, wait....
They're reps employed by Sharp (Electronics). Not sharp (as in smart) sales reps. <rolleyes>

You can read the sentence either way.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jul 28, 2005, 07:19 PM
You must be new here.

It will be amusing when apple releases this and everyone who talked badly about it turns around and starts talking about it like it is the best thing in the world and only apple could pull it off.

Just like what happened when intel rumors turned out to be true.

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah pretty much, i think if Apple's gonna release the video iPod, which i think they surely will, they will do something with their iTMS...if i'm not mistaken, i read it somewhere where Apple r on the process of talking to major recording companies to sell music videos in iTMS...i'm not sure if it's a rumor or wht but i think pretty much Apple will do that...i don't think Apple will be able to sell Movies and stuffs in iTMS along with the release of iPod Video...thats not quite possible to me...

DarkNetworks
Jul 28, 2005, 07:23 PM

i thought this is a video iPod thread? :confused:

dlfitch
Jul 28, 2005, 08:09 PM
All they have to do is allow you to connect the thing to a camcorder via firewire and capture live video. Then the thing would rock...
(any chance of mini hard drives hitting 5400 rpm in the near future?)

jettredmont
Jul 28, 2005, 08:25 PM
.5GB per hour is pretty huge.

My roommate can take a 2-hour DVD, rip it, re-encode to DivX, and fit the whole thing onto a CD-R. The quality difference is barely noticable on a big-screen TV; I can't imagine it being noticable on anything close the the iPod's size.

Wow, you must either have really bad eyes or a really bad big-screen TV. I have het to see a DivX-encoded movie (with the compression ration needed to put 2 hours on 650MB) look like anything other than complete crap when viewed on a large-screen set. We aren't talking DVD quality here (obviously); it's a good measure below VHS-quality. I'd equate it, other than having different looking artifacts, to about as high fidelity as a VHS tape which has been stored in a storage shack in Phoenix, AZ for two years. Really crappy quality, with annoying artifacts which can't just be ignored.

Now, this is all just one man's opinion, and I know there are DivX / DVD XCopy fans out there who swear that they love the quality of their low-end rip-offs ... I mean, backups. But I also know a lot of people who agree that it just plain looks like crap. I, for one, would be incredibly dissapointed were Apple to put out something which required that level of compression.

Now, the question remains, however: is the target output a big-screen TV, or is it a 2" iPod embedded screen? Given the estimates of GB/30 minutes, I can't imagine that being targetted at the embedded screen. Which, IMHO, is good news. I'd absolutely love to be able to whip out my iPod and hook it up to the tube to show off the latest home videos. Watching videos on a little screen is annoying.

mrgreen4242
Jul 28, 2005, 09:44 PM
I remember seeing, can't remember if it was here or slashdot, a link about these laser retina projector glasses things that some company developed last year and that Apple was taking an interest in... an iPod with a jack for some sort of lightweight eyewear would be interesting. Maybe have the option to watch it on the headset, the little 2" LCD (a preview mode, if you will) or plugged into an SVideo connection on a TV.

Elektronkind
Jul 28, 2005, 09:50 PM
All they have to do is allow you to connect the thing to a camcorder via firewire and capture live video.

ENCODING raw video to MPEG4 formats in real time would take more CPU power than is likely to be in a small, handheld device such as viPod.

(any chance of mini hard drives hitting 5400 rpm in the near future?)

You would really want the shorter battery life and greater heat and noise as a result?

/dale

stephenli
Jul 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
Please! Please equip with a SHARP Mobile ASV display also
Just like the one used by SHARP LCD TV and PSP!

steebu
Jul 29, 2005, 12:23 AM
dock, "dvi out", small screen, scrub, drm, mega storage, so so battery life away from dock, whole new gui, bluetooth remote

portable movies. imagine docking it to a friends dock+home theatre setup and watching your newest acquisition from the i_______ store, a movie of your vacation, or something from your dvd collection ripped in i________ and encoded in h264+drm

the "mac mini" is also involved.

its meant to cut out dvd's from the equation, but only to an extent when image quality suffers because of encoding.

LGRW3919
Jul 29, 2005, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't say no to an iPod that plays video, but by no means would i be buying the iPod exclusively for video. It'd be fun to have, show a few clips here and there, but not to watch full length movies

mlrproducts
Jul 29, 2005, 01:49 AM
Well I'm no genius, and I haven't read the whole thread because I'm lazy,

but what about HD? I mean, in the next few years all TVs are supposed to be HD. And from what I just read on /. about HD-DVDs require HDMI, then this vidPod better have all those.

petej
Jul 29, 2005, 03:05 AM
A lot of comments focus on HD movies and download times. I see a slightly different use for the iPod and more in keeping with it's original design...
The most frustrating thing about renting videos/DVD's from your local rental store is the mulling around trying to find what you want that is actually in store and then the inconvenience of taking the film back afterwards. What I would love to be able to do is to browse for films in the comfort of my home, build up a list of 10 or so that I want to rent. Instead of downloading these films from the net, I wander down to my local store, plug my iPod into their server and transfer all the videos I have selected on my iPod. I then wander home plug my iPod into a box under the TV and view the films whenever I want ( assuming a view 2 or 3 times restriction ) and then delete them.

As for the video iPod / tablet, I think these are one and the same thing, a media viewing device to read books, watch films, view TV would be pretty cool if it was a touch screen device.

amin
Jul 29, 2005, 03:11 AM
I'd like to see a poll of how many people think a video ipod would be useful. I personally would only get one if it included all the functionality of my current Pocket PC, including compatibility with medical software like Epocrates. If it is just like my current ipod but plays video, or if it has a larger display without robust PDA functionality, count me out.

westvleteren
Jul 29, 2005, 04:33 AM
I'd like to see a poll of how many people think a video ipod would be useful. I personally would only get one if it included all the functionality of my current Pocket PC, including compatibility with medical software like Epocrates. If it is just like my current ipod but plays video, or if it has a larger display without robust PDA functionality, count me out.

I would definitely get one for watching podcasted versions of news, tech shows, Discovery, sitcoms, etc., i.e., anything that can be "consumed" in pieces. I rarely sit in front of a tv, but for the commute, coffee break, boring meeting and what-have-you, I'd love to have the possibility to watch shows that are aired at inconvenient hours. Obviously, the iPod should "automatically" be updated with the latest versions of the shows. With DVB-(H) coming to "all" phones within a year or so, maybe news won't be a big deal, but there is still plenty of ("time-independent") content that would fit the iPod format. A credit-card-sized display with decent resolution (HD/2?) "held" at 1.5-2' from the eyes would be OK for me.

Porchland
Jul 29, 2005, 06:28 AM

I'm convinced it will be a different form factor than the iPod and that Apple will market it as another brand extension:

iPod shuffle > iPod mini > iPod > iPod U2 > iPod video

Particularly since the iPod U2 was initially branded the U2 iPod Special Edition. (BTW, I'm surprised there hasn't been another special edition. Dave Matthews Band?)

iMan
Jul 29, 2005, 07:09 AM
How about, instead of a big screen, the vidpod will use retina projection - i.e. you put on your goggles and there you are - in the middle of the frigging movie. That would be cool!

Stella
Jul 29, 2005, 07:19 AM

PSP are very good. The screen is absolutely beautiful... just let down by poor build quality - if you are unlikely ( which is quite likely ) you'll have one or more bad pixels.

I wouldn't watch movies on my PSP normally, but on a Plane or train? Very possible.

Video iPod - you may not necessarily have to watch a movie on quite a small screen. This is the thing people FORGET - the current iPods allow you to see your photos on your TV via RCA cables.. there is no reason why you can't have the option to watch movies on your TV being played off your iPod.

Why not just use a DVD? You don't have to carry around DVDs, just like you don't have to carry around music CDs.. also to play your home movies from your camcorder.

Stella
Jul 29, 2005, 07:21 AM
No, he said Quad-core. :)

No, he definitely said G6... Intel Inside!

MacHarne
Jul 29, 2005, 07:21 AM
Apple's core is "Think Different". The company has made several moves that initially were confounding or frustrating for some users, but ended up being brilliantly successful.

While there currently isn't a vocal demand of movie players on-the-go, there certainly is the beginning of a healthy market for such. Think: DVD players in autos; portable widescreen DVD players. Granted both of those types of devices use the actual media. But I think it was Apple who, as a digital music market began to form, announced a device that would let you "take your entire music library with you".

Yes, there are still questions about how encoding will be accelerated, because right now H.264 or the other methods are still tedious. But, Apple has been making moves with the availability of music videos in the iTMS. The iPod made the move from showing track info to showing album art. Still (well... scrolling) Monochrome to still Color. What would be a logical next step, even if it requires you to Think Different?

Fabio_gsilva
Jul 29, 2005, 07:58 AM
Great idea I enjoy watching movies with fingerprints covering the screen. :rolleyes:

Hehehe! Good point! :D

ioinc
Jul 29, 2005, 08:37 AM
What I would love to be able to do is to browse for films in the comfort of my home, build up a list of 10 or so that I want to rent. Instead of downloading these films from the net, I wander down to my local store, plug my iPod into their server and transfer all the videos I have selected on my iPod. I then wander home plug my iPod into a box under the TV and view the films whenever I want ( assuming a view 2 or 3 times restriction ) and then delete them.

Why not just download them onto your computer?

bloogersnigen
Jul 29, 2005, 09:30 AM

from gizmodo:
that would be awesome for even the photo iPod

whatever
Jul 29, 2005, 09:34 AM
Why is it that everyone thinks Video iPod they assume it's going to be a movie device? Let's think consumer market for a moment and the biggest complaints people have with cell phones, PDA's etc. What does everyone want to do with those devices? Connect to the web and chat and have an experience equal to the experience they have on their computer while surfing the web.

Alright, the geeks are thinking, but I can do that with a laptop. But a laptop is overkill for the average consumer, why do they need a 2nd computer. But what if Apple is working on a new device, not a Pocket PC, but something dedicated to surfing the web, checking e-mail and chatting only, with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. All of the pieces are already there, Safari, iChat and Mail. And there is still inkwell too.

That's all everyone with a PSP has been trying to do. Yes the chip will need to MPEG-4 compatible, because that the future. But that's just a piece of the puzzle.

Also Apple could create a new site similar to the iTunes Music store which will have dedicated content and a subscription service for WiFi access.

Whatever

DarkNetworks
Jul 29, 2005, 10:37 AM
that would be awesome for even the photo iPod

i don't think the iPod Photo needs to have such a wide screen...and if thats the case, it's gonna be bulkly...

madmaxmedia
Jul 29, 2005, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't say no to an iPod that plays video, but by no means would i be buying the iPod exclusively for video. It'd be fun to have, show a few clips here and there, but not to watch full length movies

Which is how most people probably view video capability, and Apple knows this. They're not going to sacrifice the current iPod form factor for video.

The main point of the iPod video is not to convince people to buy it instead of a regular iPod, but to convince people to buy an iPod vs. another company's portable player (especially later when the video capability is in all the iPods.)

BenJolene
Jul 29, 2005, 03:32 PM
With the introduction of a video iPod, I can easily see Apple splitting the iPod line into consumer and professional divisions a la iBooks vs. Powerbooks. As has been said, most consumers don't have much use for a video iPod.

But I work in television production where such a device would be INVALUABLE. No more wasting of tape stock when you just pull a video down from a server onto your iPod for screening purposes, etc. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to speculate that TV networks, movie studios, and post-production houses would snap these video iPods up en masse.

Of course, I imagine pricing for such a device would rise considerably.

Maybe work will pay for one? I can dream...

madmaxmedia
Jul 29, 2005, 04:13 PM
The price will be market driven, rather than cost driven. Adding video playback capability to the current iPod (assuming new huge changes in form factor) are going to be negligible. Like I said, in a year or 2 the $299 iPod will have video capability.

IIRC the existing chipset can already do video, even if not switching to a new one won't be expensive.

I think they will go to a roughly 320 x 240 screen, with similar dimensions to the existing screen. There is a bit of border that could be used, but that would also entail making the click wheel bigger. They might not go for that for esthetic purposes.

ErikGrim
Jul 30, 2005, 07:04 AM
I see two people already talking about dispensing the scroll-wheel for a linear bar like some other Mp3-players. To that I say: Are you insane? The scroll-wheel is everything the iPod is, and other players wish Apple did not patent it. It means continuos scrolling at variable speeds without ever lifting your finger from it. It's nothing short of brilliant.

BenJolene
Jul 30, 2005, 06:20 PM
The price will be market driven, rather than cost driven.

Sorry, this is basically what I was trying to say. I think Apple would inflate the price somewhat if purchases were being made primarily by corporations and companies rather than individual consumers.

steve_hill4
Jul 31, 2005, 06:14 PM
I see two people already talking about dispensing the scroll-wheel for a linear bar like some other Mp3-players. To that I say: Are you insane? The scroll-wheel is everything the iPod is, and other players wish Apple did not patent it. It means continuos scrolling at variable speeds without ever lifting your finger from it. It's nothing short of brilliant.
Absolutely, if you've ever tried using another brand of mp3 player, it is such a pain having to scroll, lift, scroll and then realise because the damn thing is too sensitive, you have to keep doing this back and forth for an hour to select the right album. Then you have buttons, press to move once, hold to scroll down, still a pain. So many companies have looked at ways of copying the scroll wheel, but have all fallen short. To remove it on any iPod would be a step in the wrong direction.

ravenvii
Jul 31, 2005, 07:19 PM
I've dropped my plans to buy an iPod in anticipation of this iPod video. I'm SO getting one! Just imagine, creating a presentation in keynote, exporting as QuickTime, and then playing it in it's full glory on the big screen from the iPod!!!

Oh, oh, oh YEAH!!!

OryHara
Aug 1, 2005, 01:54 AM
dude, how awesome would it be to have an huge library of music videos at your disposal, ready to be played on any random tv?

SpinalTap
Aug 1, 2005, 05:57 AM
I wonder if such a video-based iPod might in fact be a device for viewing DVB-H mobile television broadcasts, such as the Nokia 7710, which is being tested in Paris. It also handles radio broadcasts using AAC codecs. Just in time for Apple-Expo Paris, perhaps?

christian_k
Aug 1, 2005, 11:55 AM
The chip may have enaugh speed for mpeg4. But will it have for h.264? With the release of tiger and QT7 Apple is hyping h.264 as the next generation codec.
IMHO they have good reasons to do so, it is much better than DivX/XVID/.... and all the other mpeg4 based codecs. H264 becomes even more important as Apples mpeg4 implementation in QuickTime was quite poor - and Apple won't use anything but QuickTime.

If they make a video iPod, it must support h.264. Just mpeg4 is not enaugh....

Does anyone know if the cpu mentioned in the rumor is able to do it?

Christian

Austin.xstone
Feb 10, 2006, 02:35 AM
Well it is a realy good iPod - Now we know...