Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050727-5141.html

I personally hate the idea of a video iPod - even if it hooks up to a TV for viewing I would have no use for carrying video content around with me like I do with music. Music goes with just about any activity, but watching a video is an activity in itself, and therefore in my mind doesn't automatically make sense to do anywhere, anytime. And I've always hated that Apple stuffs more and more features into iTunes and iPod without fixing or caring about their glaring deficiencies in basic music playback (*cough* gapless playback *cough*). If true, this is yet more evidence that Apple doesn't really care about the little details in their music products!

Enough ranting, thought I'd post the link for those who like to spread rumors, as it appears to be new info. ;)

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
A video iPod is a WASTE of money. Who wants to sit there and stare at that small screen. My cell phone screen is twice the size and that would be annoying. They would also have to up the resolution of the screen from 176x220.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah i kinda agree with this one ... "I personally hate the idea of a video iPod - even if it hooks up to a TV for viewing I would have no use for carrying video content around with me like I do with music.Music goes with just about any activity, but watching a video is an activity in itself"

clykins90

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
A video iPod is an AWESOME idea

I think a vidPod (or whatever they're gonna call em) would be a sweet idea. Bundled with the iFlick store (or whatever they're gonna call that) I'd buy one in an instant. However, it needs to have a completely different design from the iPod/iPod mini. It needs to be designed with ease of use in mind and it needs to have a ginormous screen. Like that of the PSP or some of the other big screen devices. I personally think anything less than 4 inches would be unacceptable. It also has to be able to play a bunch of different formats (and come bundled with a converter or something).

It would be a HORRIBlE and STUPID idea if apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos. It would suck.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
"It would be a HORRIBlE and STUPID idea if apple would just take the current ipod and let it play videos. It would suck."

I think that's what Apple's gonna do...

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Apple will do it not because they think it is a good idea (it isn't) but because lots of people ask for it, they ask for it but when they get I'm sure they'll never use the video thing. You want to do watch a video on a big screen sitting on a sofa when you are not doing anything else, you can however listen to music while you work, while you fight for a place to sit in the underground, when you run etc etc

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I hope the new iPod video looks like this.

from gizmodo:

Attachments

• render2b.jpg
    render2b.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 997

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I won't say i like or hate the idea, i thinking going portable with videos would be cool for visiting friends and family and then playing on larger screens. However I won't commit until i see how it's done, the sizes of the hard disk, and the viewable area

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
Ooo exciting!

I think if it's easy enough to use, and there is enough content, people are gonna use it.
In Japan, they already watch TV on their mobile phones on the way to work in the bullet train ;)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Meh. It's 'neat' but not a must have kind of thing like an iPod is... If they have a good price on downloadable movies in an iTunes liek store, or better yet, a flat price rental model (ala Netflix), it will be pretty slick. The software for it also needs to have a way to move a DVD onto it. If they have it setup in a way to allow you to copy (still DRMed of course) just the movie and one language track of your choice onto your harddrive at a decent quality level and a about .5gb per hour (not unreasonable) it will also become a new standard in home entertainment systems...

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I guess I am one of the few people that actually likes the idea. I'd love to be able to carry around video content on my iPod and hook it up to a TV for playback. Though thats all I really want a video iPod for.

I definitly wouldn't watch movies on it while I am riding the train to and from work.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Put the scroll wheel on the touch screen

taeclee99 said:
I hope the new iPod video looks like this from gizmodo
Gosh no! Make the screen be the entire front of the device. Make it the size of a PSP with the two ends holding the game controls chopped off. Put the scroll wheel ON the touch sensitive screen. Make it 50% transparent, make it disappear when your fingers are off the screen, and reappear when you touch. Keep it on the right side of the screen, with lists at the left side so you can scroll around and around with your thumb as usual while still seeing the lists. Or, make lists appear in portrait format with the scroll wheel at the bottom of the screen like a regular iPod, with videos of course playing in normal widescreen format.

ioinc

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Clearwater, Florida
Net flix

How cool would that be if apple let you rent movies like they do on NetFlix.

You pay monthly and have the option of keeping up to 3 movies on your video iPod.

No waiting in the mail for movies to go back and forth.
Nothing out of stock.
No trips to blockbuster.
No late fees.
View as often as you like.

When you want to watch a movie, you just go select the one you want, sync your video iPod up to the apple vid store and replace the current movie in your device with the one you want to watch. Take it to your TV and you are off to the moves.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Bye bye scrollwheel.

Hello touch-sensitive widescreen display with virtual scrollwheel that fills the front of the vPod.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
iSee

Here's what I think about the video iPod tonight. It will be a PDA with a hard drive and a camera. Users will use it to record their lives. Photos, videos and audio will be recorded on this thing. Maybe even iChat for .Mac members! I would love to be able to program it to record television too but Apple might not use that feature due to copyright descriptions. With major partners like Disney downloadable content could be made available. This could herald a new age for broadcast television as it would change how content is distributed and flip the current advertising industry. Apple products change the world sometimes.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
Hattig said:
Bye bye scrollwheel.

Hello touch-sensitive widescreen display with virtual scrollwheel that fills the front of the vPod.
I don't currently own an iPod, I use iTunes at home/work but I usually use the radio when travelling. I wouldn't mind an iPod, but they’re pretty expensive right now. However I would be willing to pay for one that plays video, though it's getting to the point where it's more of a PDA than a music player. Why not just have a mini version of OS X installed so that you can watch, listen, play and work all on the same device… that would be worth buying!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
OK, you hate the idea of the video iPod. Other people don't. How about we have options. Even if you don't want the video capabilities, Apple would surely still have non-video iPods, and the introduction of an iPod video would probably push the price of standard iPods lower, which is good for you.

Video is good. :)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
ioinc said:

That would have the potential of completely replacing the video-for-rent industry in 3-5 years. The digirati would (of course) switch immediately, and Apple would make it easy enough for anyone to switch over that had enough money to afford the equipement. It would probably take another 3-5 years for the equipement to drop to the level of afforability for the masses.

The only problem is the potential for someone to hack the downloaded video, strip the encryption, and burn it to DVD. That's perhaps one of the reasons why the iTMS has not adopted a subscription service yet, but does not explain why so may other WMA-based stores have adopted it, unless it is just that much harder to hack protected WMA files. Also, if they allowed purchasing of DVDs from the store, it would be interesting if fair use would allow you the ability to burn 1-2 copies for your "own use". I think that's the thing that the MPAA is cringing over, since it is right now really difficult for the average joe to make copies of motion pictures they have purchased, which keeps piracy levels down some.

Nastard

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Denver, CO
.5GB per hour is pretty huge.

My roommate can take a 2-hour DVD, rip it, re-encode to DivX, and fit the whole thing onto a CD-R. The quality difference is barely noticable on a big-screen TV; I can't imagine it being noticable on anything close the the iPod's size.

Granted, there's the encoding time, but with that much of a difference in storage impact, it's worth it.

entropik

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
:rolleyes: It cracks me up that people think the video iPod will look exactly the same as the regular iPod. No, the screen will be much bigger, along the lines of a PDA screen at the very least.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
ioinc said:

I think that's ultimately where Apple's headed in the next 3-5 years. The vidPod, though, would only work if its screen is at least as big (if not bigger than) a PDA's.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
PSP

Is the PSP really good? I've never saw one live, im my hands. Worth the price?? Maybe it's something very cool, but, I know it's my humble opinion, but this kind of device may avoid people to know each other, to talk more, to establish friendship...

Well, forget about it, i think I'm not good today... hehehe! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.