PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Vendors Already Taking Orders for 'iPhone 5' as New Physical Mockup Photos Surface

MacRumors
Jul 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/12/chinese-vendors-already-taking-orders-for-iphone-5-as-new-physical-mockup-photos-surface/)

Reuters reports (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/12/apple-iphone-idUSL3E8IC26V20120712) on the growing number of Chinese vendors that have already begun taking orders for the "iPhone 5", despite the fact that Apple has made no announcement about the next-generation iPhone's specs or availability.Sellers on Taobao, a unit of Alibaba Group, are accepting orders for the iPhone 5, in some cases asking for a deposit of 1,000 yuan ($160) for the new phone. One seller, "Dahai99888", who started accepting pre-orders this week, is asking for full payment upfront, at a cool 6,999 yuan ($1,100).

Taobao sellers that Reuters spoke with said they planned to buy the iPhone 5 in Hong Kong or the United States and then bring it to mainland China. Apple products are often available in Hong Kong before they are released on the mainland.The report also points to a surge in the number of cases for the next-generation iPhone being sold through similar channels. But while case makers have sometimes possessed accurate advance information in the past such as with the iPad 2, they were less successful with their production of iPhone cases for a tapered form factor last year.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kitguru_iphone_5_comparison.jpg

iPhone 4S (left) and "iPhone 5" model (right)
Increasing activity surrounding the next-generation iPhone comes as KitGuru posts a number of photos (http://www.kitguru.net/apple/yong-lei/iphone-5-photos-world-exclusive-from-kitguru/) of what it claims is the actual device. But while the overall form factor is consistent with previously-leaked photos and details, a number of aspects of the photos including a very rough appearance and a lack of a visible LCD display or opening for one in the front panel suggest that the item is simply a physical mockup based on circulating information.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kitguru_iphone_5_left_side.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kitguru_iphone_5_right_side.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kitguru_iphone_5_bottom.jpg

The source of the mockup is unknown, with KitGuru simply noting that it was spotted "in the Far East", and it may represent a case maker's model for advance production based on leaked and rumored details. Similar internal molds claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/new-photos-of-next-generation-iphone-engineering-sample-massing/) and "iPad mini" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/purported-physical-model-of-ipad-mini-surfaces/) surfaced earlier this week.

Article Link: Chinese Vendors Already Taking Orders for 'iPhone 5' as New Physical Mockup Photos Surface (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/12/chinese-vendors-already-taking-orders-for-iphone-5-as-new-physical-mockup-photos-surface/)

ermoore
Jul 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Headphone jack on the bottom?! GROSS. Sorry Left-Handers.

donlab
Jul 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
this design looks legit

Poisednoise
Jul 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
That looks like it's been made from plasticine....

WRP
Jul 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money"

troop231
I welcome our larger screen overlords.

Jonathansm
I hope Apple really doesn't put the headphone jack on the bottom.

Simon86
Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
The FaceTime camera is in a different location on this mockup compared to the previous leaked parts.

Skika
Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
What a toasty iPhone.

Mad-B-One
Jul 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
These mock-ups look horrible compared to the leaked parts a couple of weeks ago. Wondering what this has to do with preorders anyways. But, hey, I take preorders as well! Give me 120% of the expected retail price and I will order one for you when it comes out! :D $1100 doesn't soud too bad. I will get at least the base model for that and send it to you.

MacAddict1978

You know, the screen rotates when you turn the device upside down :D

hobo.hopkins
Although I doubt its legitimacy, this does give people a good look at what the phone might look like. I like it except for (as others have said) the headphone jack at the bottom. I much prefer it up top.

NachoGrande
Jul 12, 2012, 09:11 AM

I welcome this. If my phone is in my pocket I can just slide it halfway out to change the song.

Mad-B-One
Jul 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
The FaceTime camera is in a different location on this mockup compared to the previous leaked parts.

Absolutuely! So, if you do a mock-up, do it right kinda thing? :p

Ciclismo
Jul 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
I so hope this is not the next iPhone, just because I want to see the third party accessory vendors scramble to get something to market when a completely different form factor is released. Is that evil?

Mad-B-One
Jul 12, 2012, 09:14 AM

What does this have to do with being left-handed? It's not in the way either way - or are you gripping it top-to-bottom? I don't.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 12, 2012, 09:16 AM

A few apps do. Most don't. The systems doesn't (turn the homescreen upside down and what do you get? The homescreen upside down!)

M-O
Jul 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
so, Apple is now using cast iron to make iPhones?

mono1980
Jul 12, 2012, 09:19 AM

The home screen doesn't. And many other apps don't either.

M-O
Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
I hope Apple really doesn't put the headphone jack on the bottom.

i prefer it on the bottom. when i first got my iPod touch, i thought i would hate it, but now it seems like the obvious solution.

nfl46
Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Its a physical "mockup". So thats why it looks like that.

GingerHips
Jul 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
More like recycled rusty old baked bean cans :eek:

scottwaugh
Jul 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out - this little block of plastic looks like a slightly stretched 4s.

If this is right, Apple is still sticking with the antenna around the phone design started with the 4...Apple (and Steve in particular) loved giving all those folks, who said it was a bad design, the finger and it looks like Apple will continue with that design (and the finger, although that dog has been put to rest a long time ago).

Sven11
Jul 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
This is bad.

juannacho
Jul 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
I certainly hope this isn't a model for case manufacturers to base their designs on. I mean, it's not even straight for god's sake!

Gjwilly
Jul 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
If this is right, Apple is still sticking with the antenna around the phone design started with the 4...Apple (and Steve in particular) loved giving all those folks, who said it was a bad design, the finger and it looks like Apple will continue with that design (and the finger, although that dog has been put to rest a long time ago).

Sorry but the iPhone 4S, with it's redesigned antenna band, only proved that the iPhone 4's antenna band was a bad design.

medazinol
Jul 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
Increasing activity surrounding the next-generation iPhone comes as KitGuru posts a number of photos of what it claims is the actual device. But while the overall form factor is consistent with previously-leaked photos and details, a number of aspects of the photos including a very rough appearance and a lack of a visible LCD display or opening for one in the front panel suggest that the item is simply a physical mockup based on circulating information.

Yeah right and I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale...

paradox00
Jul 12, 2012, 09:35 AM

If this was an issue, the current iPhone would be unusable with anything plugged into the dock connector...

Crzyrio
Jul 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Just 1100? Thats a steal :P

Last year I managed to sell a 4S to someone in Cyprus for 1500$ Although shipping cost 100$ it was still a good sell :)

Deeps
Jul 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Still early days!

More mockup / parts will be leaked no doubt!

12dylan34
Jul 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
I would really like to see an entirely new design, i.e. not this. I'm sure if this is it, they'll claim they'd found the perfect shape for your hand with the 4 and 4S and this is only improving upon it. It kind of makes me feel like I'm buying he same thing again.

colinrichardson
Jul 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
More like recycled rusty old baked bean cans :eek:

Looks like an abs 3d print that's been poorly finished. out of a machine like this:

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-printers/3d-printing-faq.aspx

they have less-than perfect, but pretty good dimensional stability, resolve detail similarly, and leave a grain structure. could also be a plaster print that was worked a bit more and then spray painted.

it makes sense that this would be a mockup for creative design, but not for fabrication design.

Jack Delgado
Jul 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Interesting that the front-facing camera isn't even centered above the speaker like it is in previous leaks.

L-U-R-C-H
Jul 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Not gonna lie, I prefer the overall shape of the Galaxy S3 over the shape of the iPhone 4/4s. As far as build quality, I'm sure the iPhone blows it out of the water. But I do like the curves that the Galaxy S3 has...

http://www.popherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DSC_2879-001-648x434.jpg

BornAgainApple
Jul 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hideous. 4" screen or not, I will NOT be buying one if it looks like this (which I doubt it will).

WiiDSmoker
Jul 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out - this little block of plastic looks like a slightly stretched 4s.

The iPhone 4 did have a flaw it in...which they fixed with the 4S.

Did you forget about all this?

HotRodGuy
just got the new galaxy in as a test device at the office. It's the first time i've picked up a phone and been blown away and thought...man this may replace my iphone (and i was an early iphone adopter)

WigWag Workshop
At first, I didn't like the idea of the headphone jack on the bottom. I still don't like it, however, I have switched to Bluetooth headphones, so it's not a big deal to me.

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
I so hope this is not the next iPhone, just because I want to see the third party accessory vendors scramble to get something to market when a completely different form factor is released. Is that evil?

You mean like last year.

Radio
Jul 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
fake! apple would never release an iphone with seams!!!

im not buying it!!!!!!!!!" WAHHH****** apple fanboy

launch day - "this phone is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!" - apple fanboy

kiljoy616
Jul 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
This can't be it, if this is it Apple is running out of mojo already. No there has to be more to the next gen phone.

pgiguere1
Jul 12, 2012, 09:48 AM

No, that's the iPad.

And even if you could that would be pointless since the home button would be almost inaccessible one-handed. Not to mention the awkward moments where you would answer your phone with your ear next to the home button.

chumpy34
Jul 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
I would really like to see an entirely new design, i.e. not this. I'm sure if this is it, they'll claim they'd found the perfect shape for your hand with the 4 and 4S and this is only improving upon it. It kind of makes me feel like I'm buying he same thing again.

I have to agree with you. When you buy a new product, whether it's a pair of running shoes, a car or a new phone, you want it to be different, with a new look, new features but mostly, just something that doesn't resemble what you have now. If the new iPhone becomes what all of these mock-ups have been pointing to, it will be interesting to see the reaction. If you are loyal to Apple, then I guess you will buy the new phone, but will some go to Android or elsewhere?

It just feels like the time for Apple to bring out something "new" in functionality and design.

bad03xtreme
Jul 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Wow this phone is going to look like crap, they needed to make it at least a 1/4" wider rather than just stretching it out. :mad:

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jul 12, 2012, 09:52 AM

So you only care how a phone looks, not what it does?

You'll only feel that way until you use it.

JarScott
Jul 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
If iPhone 5 isn't radically different, Apple will fall further behind in the mobile market.

macnerd93
Jul 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Maybe its just me, but I just have a gut feeling for some reason that the next gen iPhone wont be unveiled until sometime early 2013. Heaven knows why I think it, its just my instinct although I'm possibly wrong. I know we have until October to find out, but meh.

ChazUK
It's the new FePhone. :p

dacapo

Not by default, unless the developer explicitly programs it that way. The default for the iPhone/iPod touch interface is to support portrait mode only.

BTW, the Music (iPod) app does not rotate upside down either.

newyorksole
Jul 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
I have to agree with you. When you buy a new product, whether it's a pair of running shoes, a car or a new phone, you want it to be different, with a new look, new features but mostly, just something that doesn't resemble what you have now. If the new iPhone becomes what all of these mock-ups have been pointing to, it will be interesting to see the reaction. If you are loyal to Apple, then I guess you will buy the new phone, but will some go to Android or elsewhere?

It just feels like the time for Apple to bring out something "new" in functionality and design.

what "mockups" ?....... the actual physical phone leaked and was shown off in a video. Apple is not gonna pull some completely different design out of nowhere. we all have seen what the phone looks like.

Apple is in a position where they don't need to make a radically different phone every time. The iPhone 4 still looks amazing and this next-gen is also looking great.

topgunn
Jul 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
This all smells like disinformation to me. My guess is this is part of Tim's doubling down on security. I find it hard to believe leaks would become MORE common after such a statement.

JarScott
Jul 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
I think Apple will do what they did with the iPhone 4. Make everyone make crazy rumours and mock ups but then release something that no one was expecting.

(Ignoring the fact that some Apple employee lost an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar months before its release and caused most of the rumours to be scarily accurate.)

RebelScum

Great eye.

Also, it appears to be made of papier machée.

#seemslegit

newyorksole
This all smells like disinformation to me. My guess is this is part of Tim's doubling down on security. I find it hard to believe leaks would become MORE common after such a statement.

some leaks can't be prevented..... they have to start mass producing the phone soon so it's not unlikely that there are leaks.

RebelScum
Jul 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry but the iPhone 4S, with it's redesigned antenna band, only proved that the iPhone 4's antenna band was a bad design.

By that logic, everything that's ever seen a redesign was a bad idea.

Poisednoise
Yeah right and I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale...
Except that it was London.

The reference is to London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, which was bought from the City of London in the 60s. It was sold because the bridge was no longer able to support the traffic required of it, and a replacement needed to be built. It was sold to the Arizona developers, shipped over, and then rebuilt. There is a persistent rumour (although there is no evidence of this) that they thought they were getting Tower bridge, not London bridge. Hence the use of the "and if you believe that, I've a bridge to sell you" phrase to imply that the person must be extremely gullible.

lunarworks
So the scalpers are already "lining up".

Classy.

bad03xtreme
Jul 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hey iPhone 4S Ryan Braun called and he wants his steroids back...

charlituna
The iPhone 4 did have a flaw it in...which they fixed with the 4S.

Did you forget about all this?

You mean the one that actually only affected like 1/100th of 1% of units in the US and 1/1000th of that many outside of the US. And every affected person only had an issue cause they were in an area with crap cell service

Consumer reports mentioned the service quality issue but everyone was quick to drop that from their quoting. Most of the folks griping even said 'but my service has always been crap'. And after that big to do there were other phones that got press for the same 'flaw'

And before you bring up the bumpers, Apple did that as a cheap placebo to keep folks happy and not filling lawsuit after lawsuit. Same as managers at stores giving away cheap free stuff to get a yelling customer out of the store. Appeasing someone with a pair of headphones that cost them $10 to make is easier than the disruption of someone being pissed he has to make an appointment to pay to have them replace his busted up dropped phone and he wants to yell about it for an hour. Loudly. And crudely. And yeah I've see it happen when I've been in to pick up equipment. Seen it a lot in fact. People in LA can really be angry entitled douche bags. Glad I'm not from here

DudeDad

...which does not help if you have it plugged into a charger....

wgnoyes
Jul 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
Wonder how many vendors are going to get burned this time making cases for an iPhone based on these mockups that turns out to never exist.

Bezetos
Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
I think Apple will do what they did with the iPhone 4. Make everyone make crazy rumours and mock ups but then release something that no one was expecting.

(Ignoring the fact that some Apple employee lost an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar months before its release and caused most of the rumours to be scarily accurate.)
I don't think that happend with the iPhone 4.

It definitely happend with the iPhone 4S. Many people were predicting new designs and hardware and Apple surprised them by giving them... the same phone.

Monkeydude
Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
As we know, iOS 6 won't have "really" new features (for me only the privacy mode is interesting) - so if Apple sticks to it's meanwhile 3 year old design and only stretches the device, they will loose uncounted customers. I personally see no reason to substitute my iPhone 4 for this.

p.s. Android is no option either -1st i don't like Google, 2nd it's way to fragmented and 3rd the size of the top-phones is ridiculous. Maybe i'll use my creditcard sized jogging phone more.

DudeDad
Jul 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
Not gonna lie, I prefer the overall shape of the Galaxy S3 over the shape of the iPhone 4/4s. As far as build quality, I'm sure the iPhone blows it out of the water. But I do like the curves that the Galaxy S3 has...

Image (http://www.popherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DSC_2879-001-648x434.jpg)

Is the Galaxy 3 behind that mini tablet on the right? Seriously, at some point, these Android phones are just mini tablets....I see people with them and it's just not something I want to carry around...it's a phone....

Bezetos
Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
You mean the one that actually only affected like 1/100th of 1% of units in the US and 1/1000th of that many outside of the US. And every affected person only had an issue cause they were in an area with crap cell service1/100th of 1% is 1/10000th, FYI.

And it wasn't the crap cell service, they were "just holding it wrong". Tee-hee.

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have to agree with you. When you buy a new product, whether it's a pair of running shoes, a car or a new phone, you want it to be different, with a new look,

I don't. I'm not obsessed like you over this need for different. I want something that works. Even with running shoes. They are for running, not fashion. They need to be sturdy and comfortable. Whether they looklike the pair they are replacing doesn't matter to me.

When it comes to tech I'm the same. I really don't care that my iMac looks just like the two before it. Or that my new iPhone and iPad fit in the same cases, docks etc. oh wait, yeah that does matter, it's a reason to want them to stay the same.

ChrisTX
Jul 12, 2012, 10:05 AM

The native OS definitely does NOT rotate if you turn it upside down. You just get everything upside down with the 4 dock icons on top. The iPad however is a different story.

shanson27
Jul 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
ugly :mad:

tylersdad
Jul 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
I hope they go back to the curved back. It's far more comfortable in my hand, at least.

obey
Jul 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
This design is okay, but Apple PLEASE make us have a larger screen. pl0xxx

ixodes
Jul 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
this design looks legit

Legit, and thoroughly boring.

A minuscule increase in display size, just so they can claim it has a "larger display"... yeah right :eek:

I'll keep my iPhone 4S, till the button quits, calling it fun while it lasted.

Apple simply doesn't quite get it. Their fear of a modern sized display combined with their love of using the well worn excuse "it's too hard on the app developers", is total crap.

Since when has Apple let others influence what they do?

Riding on their laurels will satisfy the Johnny Lunchbuckets of the world, simply because they have no clue. But those of us who _KNOW_ what Apple is truly capable of... will instantly recognize this as the profit taking, cost cutting measure it is.

The good news, is Apple's skill at taking advantage of the unsuspecting public, along with the "oh it's cool" factor will insure massive sales volumes.

Ultimate greed reigns supreme. After all they've got a "Spaceship" to pay for.

slicecom
Jul 12, 2012, 10:08 AM

It should have been on the bottom from day one. Makes a lot more sense if you actually think about how most people use their phones.

cocky jeremy
Jul 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have two hopes for the new iPhone.

1) No bigger than 4"
2) The ugly "two tone look" in leaks is pure BS. If that is real.. yuckkk. :eek:

johndallas999
Jul 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
YUCK! Headphone jack at bottom and those horrendous looking speaker/mic grills! Hope this is fact just a rumor!

Kwill
Jul 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money"

Hmm, I wonder if they'll accept an $1100 deposit for an iPad mini. :rolleyes:

Navdakilla
Jul 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
uh oh

mrbyu
Jul 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
I miss the "old" times when the iPhone 4's design was considered as something radically new, jaw-dropping, beautiful... :( I can remember how excited I was when I first got my hands on it, it was like holding some amazing piece of art and technology.

It took only 2 years for it to become as average as a Nokia 3310, and now everybody is crying for "teardrop design"...

Never mind, I'm not gonna sell it, it remains a never-to-be-forgotten design milestone in Apple's history.

L-U-R-C-H
Jul 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Is the Galaxy 3 behind that mini tablet on the right? Seriously, at some point, these Android phones are just mini tablets....I see people with them and it's just not something I want to carry around...it's a phone....

I agree, I don't like how big it is. I just feel like the iPhone is starting to look a bit dated. But it's all personal opinion ;)

chrmjenkins
Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Reasons why a headphone jack on the bottom is good:

Easier to look at front of phone while plugging in.
More natural position for headphone cable based on how you put it in your pocket.
Putting it in your pocket upside down allows you to partially pull out, double tap for controls at bottom of screen. Most of phone can stay in pocket.
Better case compatibility with thick cords/jacks, as manufacturers have to cut away most of bottom already.

ixodes
Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 AM

My experience with the four iPhone 4 models I bought for my family revealed there was noting wrong with the external "band" antenna.

It was very nice looking and a tribute to Steve, after all it was his idea.

I almost forgot, there was one small problem. If you wanted to use it like a phone, for some odd reason it just didn't cut it. I believe the press called it a death grip issue, or something like that...

So much for phone calls :)

jdylan
Jul 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
First new iPhone that I have no urge to buy when released. Bigger, that's about it. I'll stick to my 4S for now.

andy845
Jul 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
Its not going to happen this time around but i don't see why we need a top and a bottom in the traditional sense. Why not have an earpiece at both ends (ideally behind the surface unlike it is currently), speaker grills on each opposing end along with headphone jacks (how long until bluetooth only headphones are supported?). Put dock connectors on one short side and one long side. Do away with the physical home button and let the software adjust to however you pick it up. Grab it, pick it up and use it, who cares which way up it is!

The only problem for apple is what to do about the logo on the back as it just wouldn't be right for it to be upside down, perhaps a small square screen behind the rear surface that displays the apple logo and can rotate it based on device orientation...

Ciclismo
Jul 12, 2012, 10:28 AM

The reference is to London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, which was bought from the City of London in the 60s. It was sold because the bridge was no longer able to support the traffic required of it, and a replacement needed to be built. It was sold to the Arizona developers, shipped over, and then rebuilt. There is a persistent rumour (although there is no evidence of this) that they thought they were getting Tower bridge, not London bridge. Hence the use of the "and if you believe that, I've a bridge to sell you" phrase to imply that the person must be extremely gullible.

Wilson, is that you?

http://aktiviertes_rigo.beepworld.de/files/hi-wilson3.jpg

Jimrobo
....no proximity sensor hole???

TheRealJRod
I don't buy it. The frame looks like soap or wax painted with black shoe polish. Easy enough to forge in your home.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
That seems to be an "iPhoney 5" instead.
There are lots of iPhoneys being sold in China for several years.
Don't fall for this.

jmgregory1
Jul 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
Its not going to happen this time around but i don't see why we need a top and a bottom in the traditional sense. Why not have an earpiece at both ends (ideally behind the surface unlike it is currently), speaker grills on each opposing end along with headphone jacks (how long until bluetooth only headphones are supported?). Put dock connectors on one short side and one long side. Do away with the physical home button and let the software adjust to however you pick it up. Grab it, pick it up and use it, who cares which way up it is!

The only problem for apple is what to do about the logo on the back as it just wouldn't be right for it to be upside down, perhaps a small square screen behind the rear surface that displays the apple logo and can rotate it based on device orientation...

I would hope that Apple will continue its push to make as much tech wireless as possible, including the headphones. I can't stand having to wind up the cord for a headset or pull it out of my briefcase only to have it snag on something. They should either be pushing a bt headset solution or a wifi headset - anything to get rid of the corded set. I know sound quality isn't as good with bt, but it's not like the cheap Apple supplied corded headphones are anything to write home about.

miamialley
Jul 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
Oh great, if that's the next iPhone they might as well call it the iPhone 4S+.

NorEaster
Jul 12, 2012, 10:46 AM

Yes...this IS evil and actually childish. I'd much rather that the accessory vendors have genuine mockups or product details so I can purchase a quality case on the same day that I purchase the iPhone5. This is especially more so with the iPhone 5, assuming that certain design elements (such as location or headphone jack and the smaller connector port) are in fact happening. I don't want to bring home my iPhone 5 "naked" and also have it be incompatible with my portable radio and car.

Allenbf
Jul 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm really lost on the "Apple better innovate or die" comments. It's a rectangular device that you use to surf the net, play angry birds, and make calls. What else can they do, make it triangle shaped?

<insert sketch on The Office. If you haven't seen the one with the triangle shaped tablets, watch it :-) />

Anyway, while I agree that Apple has to work hard to stay cutting edge, the phone shape/design probably won't change much. Neither will the competitors.

The fact is, Apple spoiled us all with the iPhone, so we expect them to wow us every single time. And they probably WILL, but with internal features and specs - just looking at a plastic mockup isn't going to convince me to jump ship for anything else.

Just my .02 ;)

Drunken Master
Jul 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
I miss the "old" times when the iPhone 4's design was considered as something radically new, jaw-dropping, beautiful... :( I can remember how excited I was when I first got my hands on it, it was like holding some amazing piece of art and technology.

It took only 2 years for it to become as average as a Nokia 3310, and now everybody is crying for "teardrop design"...

Never mind, I'm not gonna sell it, it remains a never-to-be-forgotten design milestone in Apple's history.

The iPhone 4 design is a fitting tribute to Dieter Rams and Braun:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2k1S2I3c0N0D1a0t1928/braun-global-radio-atomic-alarm-clock-digital.jpg

CindyRed

Nope, apparently die cast metal a la Matchbox cars.

Hoping to see another company dumping hundreds of thousands of units of peripherals when the mock-up turns out to be fake again.

Fingers crossed!

Piggie

Image (http://www.popherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DSC_2879-001-648x434.jpg)

Why does Apple have to have so much dam plastic around their screen? :(

bedifferent
Jul 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
I would hope that Apple will continue its push to make as much tech wireless as possible, including the headphones. I can't stand having to wind up the cord for a headset or pull it out of my briefcase only to have it snag on something. They should either be pushing a bt headset solution or a wifi headset - anything to get rid of the corded set. I know sound quality isn't as good with bt, but it's not like the cheap Apple supplied corded headphones are anything to write home about.

You can use A2DP Bluetooth stereo headphones since iOS 4. I have been using them for years now. Sony and Jaybird make the best. I am currently using Jaybird Freedom:

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jf3/bluetooth-headphones-features.html

Music:
Control play, pause, next and back track remotely right from your headphones.

Calls:
Answer (or reject) calls with the push of a button. Music will pause and resume after your call.

Volume:
Freedom also includes remote volume control.

As well, Bluetooth wireless playback works in my Infiniti system, no need for an iPhone USB cable (although I have my iPod connected to it). So the iPhone has been able to use stereo bluetooth headsets for a while, and they sound just as good, if not better, than their wired counterparts. Perfect for my workouts, especially when lifting.

----------

The iPhone 4 design is a fitting tribute to Dieter Rams and Braun:

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/2k1S2I3c0N0D1a0t1928/braun-global-radio-atomic-alarm-clock-digital.jpg)

Wow! I never even noticed. Amazing, good call! (pun intended :p)

Drunken Master
Jul 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wow! I never even noticed. Amazing, good call! (pun intended :p)

Well, I just did some Googling and apparently this Braun alarm clock came out earlier this year, so it's actually a tribute back to Apple, after Ive has paid so much tribute to Braun/Rams.

GenesisST
Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

Isn't it like that already? The dock connector being on the top with the home button?

attilahun
Jul 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
"fall further behind"?
Uh, isn't this the most successful phone in the world?

JarScott
Jul 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
I don't think that happend with the iPhone 4.

It definitely happend with the iPhone 4S. Many people were predicting new designs and hardware and Apple surprised them by giving them... the same phone.

Actually, I must disagree and say that, from what I observed, most people thought the 4S was going to be a similar concept to the 3GS in that it would be a very similar phone to the 4 with minor internal updates. It was only the morons who could not get out of the frame of mind that it was going to be a 4S and not a 5 at the time who thought it would be a completely new phone.

hachre
Jul 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
"fall further behind"?
Uh, isn't this the most successful phone in the world?

typical ballmer response...

ChrisTX
Jul 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
I agree, I don't like how big it is. I just feel like the iPhone is starting to look a bit dated. But it's all personal opinion ;)

Everyone else is changing and 2 years later Apple is staying the same but making the device a tad longer, and moving the headphone jack to the bottom. I guess there's only so much you can do, but the jump from the 3g, to the 4 was completely radical. If these leaks prove to be true, then this upgrade will be modest at best.

powers74
Jul 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Youch. That looks rough. Almost looks like the metal part is a 3D print.

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
Actually, I must disagree and say that, from what I observed, most people thought the 4S was going to be a similar concept to the 3GS in that it would be a very similar phone to the 4 with minor internal updates. It was only the morons who could not get out of the frame of mind that it was going to be a 4S and not a 5 at the time who thought it would be a completely new phone.

Yeah, but you're wrong. People weren't quite sure what the design would be, but virtually everyone thought it was an iPhone 5--to go along with iOS 5. The mock-up fiasco with the case makers went with the tear drop design.

Getting closer to the release date some of the bigger financial analysts provided better predictions, but still most said iPhone 5 and predicted big changes.

You may have believed it was going to be a 4s, but not many other people were saying it.

Piggie
Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry, and I know most are gonna hate me for saying this, but god, Apple is really dull at making phones now :(

I was drooling last year at some of the amazing mockups people had rendered for what they thought the iPhone 5 was going to look like (before the 4S was launched) and some were stunning and really new, fresh and innovative designs that would of blows everyone away.

But this same OLD design yet again? :(

Sorry Apple, but this thing is looking so dated now. It may be well bolted together, but there is no "life" in the design :(

ChrisTX
Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
I guess judging by the comments here people fail to realize that this is the molding for the case makers, and not the actual phone itself.

bboucher790
Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
I really hope the design isn't a "long" iPhone 4. Upon the next iPhone release, we'll have seen this design for the past two and a half years. While it's a great design, the most beautiful phone ever made, I'm ready to be mind-blown with something completely different. All of the mockups that I've seen show very minor physical changes.

The main issue that I have is with all the sharp edges. My iPhone 4 is one of the least comfortable phones to hold. When holding my 3Gs, I get sighs of relief on how good it feels in the hand. I want Apple to completely change their design, because we'll probably see the same design for two straight versions. Each day I get closer and closer to going to a Galaxy S3.

bushido
Jul 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
still no led notification indicator? *sigh*

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Everyone else is changing and 2 years later Apple is staying the same but making the device a tad longer, and moving the headphone jack to the bottom. I guess there's only so much you can do, but the jump from the 3g, to the 4 was completely radical. If these leaks prove to be true, then this upgrade will be modest at best.

I noticed the longer concept/idea picked up after someone posted his idea how resolution and retina could all be kept simply by adding a row of icons. Then we got several leaks in one week or so, showing basically the same idea of longer phone.

It may well turn out that these are the new iPhone, but I'm suspicious because Apple's legal team didn't take action (they're not known to be timid). The design also seems far too conservative.

Orlandoech
Jul 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, and I know most are gonna hate me for saying this, but god, Apple is really dull at making phones now :(

I was drooling last year at some of the amazing mockups people had rendered for what they thought the iPhone 5 was going to look like (before the 4S was launched) and some were stunning and really new, fresh and innovative designs that would of blows everyone away.

Sorry Apple, but this thing is looking so dated now. It may be well bolted together, but there is no "life" in the design :(

I concur

NYCMacFan
Jul 12, 2012, 11:29 AM

Agree some are crazy big. But iPhone is a bit small to me now. Since most of us use and read predominately in the vertical mode in our hand, a longer phone is not so useful.

Love the look of squared off sides of iPhone 4, but less nice to hold. A wider, but tapered phone like the Samsung S3 ends up being similar in feel and much more usable. I'm tempted to switch if these rumors are accurate (only OS and integration with my existing Mac laptops, ipads and desktops are keeping now as I'm off contract).

Really bummed about this.

mrbyu
Jul 12, 2012, 11:29 AM

A led indicator on the iPhone? While Apple is removing every existing indicator lights even from the MacBooks (Air, now the Retina Pro)? Seems legit :p

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 11:36 AM

The 4s was boring because they didn't have a case design change. The changes were minor and had more to do with Apple cutting costs by reducing the number of separate designs they having to produce.

Apple knows they're behind now, and I don't think they'll go conservative again. There will be a case redesign, and the long version of the current one is hardly exciting.

We know it will have a bigger screen, my guess is 4.3 or 4.5 inches (why update just to remain smaller than competitors?)

So just don't put too much into these leaks. We know they are plentiful, we've seen big companies make bets on leaks and get burned.

----------

I really hope the design isn't a "long" iPhone 4. Upon the next iPhone release, we'll have seen this design for the past two and a half years. While it's a great design, the most beautiful phone ever made, I'm ready to be mind-blown with something completely different. All of the mockups that I've seen show very minor physical changes.

The main issue that I have is with all the sharp edges. My iPhone 4 is one of the least comfortable phones to hold. When holding my 3Gs, I get sighs of relief on how good it feels in the hand. I want Apple to completely change their design, because we'll probably see the same design for two straight versions. Each day I get closer and closer to going to a Galaxy S3.

Totally agree with everything said.

-long version bores me and seems uglier than all other iPhones
-iPhone 4 isn't nearly as comfortable to hold as older versions
-S3 is very tempting, but if I go Android I'll probably have to stick with a Nexus...at least it will be supported somewhat

sulpfiction
Jul 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
Last year we had the tapered iPhone. This year it's the arched iPhone. I hope this isn't a case makers mold...It's bent for christ sake.

ChrisTX
Jul 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
I noticed the longer concept/idea picked up after someone posted his idea how resolution and retina could all be kept simply by adding a row of icons. Then we got several leaks in one week or so, showing basically the same idea of longer phone.

It may well turn out that these are the new iPhone, but I'm suspicious because Apple's legal team didn't take action (they're not known to be timid). The design also seems far too conservative.

I agree with the legal action part, but the video shown here a while ago with the leaked casing makes me think otherwise. :(

AbSoluTc
Jul 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
What does this have to do with being left-handed? It's not in the way either way - or are you gripping it top-to-bottom? I don't.

Right handed - headphone jack on the bottom will pose a problem. Hold your phone now and you will see.

Left handed - headphone jack on the bottom will also pose a problem. Clearance between your palm and the headphones depending on which ones you use.

It's not a good design IMO. I will now have to put my phone upside down in my pocket. This also exposes all the wonderful connectors to the elements if anyone puts this in their shirt pocket or the like. No thanks.

Same issue if I want to use an AUX cable in my car. My phone will now be upside down in the seat.

Yes, it all makes perfect sense!

----------

I guess judging by the comments here people fail to realize that this is the molding for the case makers, and not the actual phone itself.

Never would have guessed that in a million years! :rolleyes:

chrisbru
Jul 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
Why is everyone griping about the next iPhone not being enough of an upgrade? It's nearly certain to have 4G LTE - Which is definitely worth the upgrade. I'm sure it will be much more than that though. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it isn't different.

AbSoluTc
Jul 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

More natural position for headphone cable based on how you put it in your pocket.
Putting it in your pocket upside down allows you to partially pull out, double tap for controls at bottom of screen. Most of phone can stay in pocket.
Better case compatibility with thick cords/jacks, as manufacturers have to cut away most of bottom already.

Makes no sense. None of it. How is it easier to look at the front of the phone? Where did you come up with that?

Headphone jacks coming out the bottom of devices have always been associated with cheap, low quality audio devices. Justify it all you want.

Bezetos
Jul 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Perhaps thats what you've experienced, I'm just reporting what I remember seeing ;)

----------

Makes no sense. None of it. How is it easier to look at the front of the phone? Where did you come up with that?

1. Plug in headphones into your iPhone
2. Put it on a desk in front of you
3. Start listening to some music
4. ...
5. Do you see the problem now?

ChazUK

I prefer the headphone jack at the bottom (like the iPod Touch/Galaxy Nexus), especially when charging and using headphones.

Both cables droop down from the bottom leaving the handset free from obstruction at the top (and any annoying wires away from the screen), unlike other devices.

Bezetos
Headphone jacks coming out the bottom of devices have always been associated with cheap, low quality audio devices. Justify it all you want.
You mean just like the iPod Touch?

Check mate.

ToomeyND
Jul 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
The interesting thing for me is the change in design shown in the bottom three pictures. If you notice the comparison of the top 2 of the 3 pictures, Apple has made one side of the phone longer than the other. Very un-apple. :D

Xtremehkr
Jul 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
I was expecting a more drastic change from the current look. I like the 4/4S design, but it feels like it's time to try something newer.

Let Jony Ive go wild and design something radical.

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 12:05 PM
The entire smaller dock connector seems to miss that point that Apple wants to be thinner, not more narrow. And, when you look at it, if we believe the new design, all that's been changed is that now there is no additionally audio out ability if you have a dock...it's just as crowded down there, and they've created an unnecessary nuisance. Meanwhile, look at the current phone and see how much space the jack has. There is a noise canceling mic, the power button and the jack, nothing else on the top.

----------

Check mate.

And Nano, for instance, which creates an completely unneeded pain in the butt when I have to charge it (because jack is on bottom, and Apple's athletic band/case opens at the bottom, to get at the dock connector you have to unplug the headphones).

KdParker
Jul 12, 2012, 12:05 PM

You can use the flash on the camera as a notification indicator.

Bezetos
Jul 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
And Nano, for instance, which creates an completely unneeded pain in the butt when I have to charge it (because jack is on bottom, and Apple's athletic band/case opens at the bottom, to get at the dock connector you have to unplug the headphones).
If that's the case, and you have to unplug the headphones, then I agree it's uncomfortable, however usually you don't have to do that and it's nice (imho) to have both cables coming out of the same side (see picture above).

KdParker
Jul 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
Why is everyone griping about the next iPhone not being enough of an upgrade? It's nearly certain to have 4G LTE - Which is definitely worth the upgrade. I'm sure it will be much more than that though. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it isn't different.

Agreed, but I hope there is more to the phone than just a taller 4/4S look.

bushido
Jul 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
You can use the flash on the camera as a notification indicator.

yeah i know but i love how GSIII does it. red led for a fb not, green for a text etc

even my 2004 siemens phone did and bberry does that. been missing it ever since i got my first iPhone in 2008

3dstorm
Jul 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Check out our video comparison looks very similar to the leaked photos :) http://youtu.be/-U18YltXFa8

Yuniverse
Jul 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
I care less about the hardware changes than I do software changes at this point. Sure, it'll be great to have something new and cool in the hardware side of it, but with the minimal changes in iOS6, I'm already disappointed.:(

ChrisTX
Jul 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
I care less about the hardware changes than I do software changes at this point. Sure, it'll be great to have something new and cool in the hardware side of it, but with the minimal changes in iOS6, I'm already disappointed.:(
It's the combination of both that has so many people here turning to the dark side.

KdParker
Jul 12, 2012, 12:20 PM

Lets hope some Apply will 'loose' (*cough*) the iPhone 5 prototype before the launch.

LastName
Jul 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
It's beautiful. Only Apple could pull off the rustic look. Amazing.

chrmjenkins
Jul 12, 2012, 12:29 PM

Bezetos and ChazUK have both successfully rebutted you. ChazUK even came up with a reason I didn't list previously.

To explain the looking at the phone. Your phone is on the desk in front of you, flat. You have a clear view of the bottom, but you have to lift the device and rotate towards you to see and insert into headphone jack. Takes more work.

Caliber26
Jul 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Check out our video comparison looks very similar to the leaked photos :) http://youtu.be/-U18YltXFa8

I'll take one in red!!

blow45
Jul 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
The remote control phone...

Allenbf
Jul 12, 2012, 12:55 PM

Maybe this iPhone will have the Gorilla Glass and the Rhino (bedliner) spray on?

:D

coolfactor
Jul 12, 2012, 12:58 PM

Seems like they could change that with a simple software update. The iPad supports 360-degree rotation, so no reason that the iPhone can't. Although I wonder how the Dock would appear when in horizontal. Might be unusually small? Could be a legitimate reason why they aren't rotating it right now.

vampireszombies
Jul 12, 2012, 12:58 PM

You know these are just mockups right? Nothing official from Apple.

Everyones arguing on here over screen size, design, why the headphone jack is on the bottom etc.
I say wait till it comes out, THEN argue over why its like that.
Till then its arguing over something that may be entirely different then what Apple is going to release.;) But fun to watch the arguments.

bobrk
Jul 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
I welcome this. If my phone is in my pocket I can just slide it halfway out to change the song.

Concur, I would love it on the bottom.

Tadros86
Jul 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
I never liked the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom of the iPhone or even the iPods. It's just awkward.

andrewzz
Jul 12, 2012, 01:09 PM

You are the symmetric opposite of Darth Vader. May vendors tremble when they hear your name...

Although personally I don't care so much about screwing the vendors, as having a better form factor than what is rumored. Come on Apple, you can do better than that.

AbSoluTc
Jul 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
Perhaps thats what you've experienced, I'm just reporting what I remember seeing ;)

----------

1. Plug in headphones into your iPhone
2. Put it on a desk in front of you
3. Start listening to some music
4. ...
5. Do you see the problem now?

Why would I be using my iPhone when I'm at my desk again, in front of my computer? :confused:

Check mate.

You made my point :)

charlituna
Jul 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
minimum buy is $1US (fake of course)

The pools are:
1. will the 'prototype' be the iPhone or the iPad mini
2. where will it be found (city, type of place etc.)
3. will it be sold to a blog, sold on ebay or something else
4. will it match the drawings, the existing model (for the iPhone) or be something totally different
5. when will the actual product be announced
6. when will the actual product be released

Our bets could be just as accurate as all this prototypes or the analysts

Lennholm
Jul 12, 2012, 01:18 PM

I don't know, but wishing misfortune on other companies and taking pleasure in it seems to be the Apple fanboy way.

Bezetos
Jul 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Why would I be using my iPhone when I'm at my desk again, in front of my computer? :confused:
I listen to music on my phone when I'm sitting at a desk in front of my computer. That's totally normal.

You made my point :)
If you think that iPod Touch is a cheap, low quality audio device, then indeed I have made your point.

isoft7
Jul 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Apple got lazy, iOS 6 and the new (most likely anyways) iPhone is proof of that. They thought "We're the best, why innovate anymore."

This is the beginning of the end of the iPhones dominance.

I'm honestly starting to believe Steve Jobs really was that important to Apple, in the past I've always thought that while playing a large part in the success, it wasn't only him... but since his death my opinion is really beginning to turn into one where without him, there simply is no Apple.

:(

TroyBoy30
Jul 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
headphone jack is on the bottom of my gnex. it makes much more sense than having it on the top. when you pull it out of your pocket its in your hand facing the right direction. when its sits on the desk its facing the right way to use if you want. the chord is also not coming out of the end thats not facing you

chrmjenkins
I listen to music on my phone when I'm sitting at a desk in front of my computer. That's totally normal.

Alas, I too, am normal.

If you think that iPod Touch is a cheap, low quality audio device, then indeed I have made your point.

Perhaps the chrome back is seen as cheap, but the rest of the device is peerless in its class.

Rennir

Just give up. Like it or not, there are some things that Apple will never put into a phone, despite how useful it is :apple:

Perhaps the chrome back is seen as cheap, but the rest of the device is peerless in its class.

Ever heard of the Zune? :p

As a side note, Samsung came out with a touch screen based music player device as well :)

Spectrum Abuser
Jul 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
The screen size isn't looking very promising.

CocoaPuffs
Jul 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Anyone else annoyed that the phones are lined up up-side down?

alexgowers
Jul 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
These designs have all been fake,

You must be a moron to believe apple could ever design this!

Even the number of holes at the bottom is a dead give away, no apple product has an unequal number of speaker hole, let alone all the other give aways from screen ratio to headphone jack to a different connector. It's all false info.

I see no apple people round here squashing these supposed apple products, all which suggest it's not apple.

TennisandMusic
Jul 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
The remote control phone...

Exactly! I postulated this in threads when this phone was first revealed, but it definitely looks more like a remote control...Apple TV integration?

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 02:04 PM
These designs have all been fake,

You must be a moron to believe apple could ever design this!

Even the number of holes at the bottom is a dead give away, no apple product has an unequal number of speaker hole, let alone all the other give aways from screen ratio to headphone jack to a different connector. It's all false info.

I see no apple people round here squashing these supposed apple products, all which suggest it's not apple.

I don't think it's quite as obvious as you make it out, but I do agree they're likely fakes.

The legal aspect is the most compelling for me. Sure, Apple could be ignoring the leaks so as not to give them credence; however, that is NOT how Apple has handled things in the past.

Apple has always been known for their adherence to principles. Whether it's minimalist/utilitarian design and UI, making products that are aesthetically appeasing, locking down their hardware to run their software only. You may not always like Apple's approach, but they have a philosophy behind everything they do. They have a security philosophy as well.

Apple's security philosophy is first and foremost secrecy. They control access to prototypes, they produce multiple models so suppliers can't determine prototypes. Their supply chain is locked down, so factory workers can't take pictures or smuggle out products. The second principle is to aggressively respond to leaks. They have lawyers at the ready to send out cease and desist/take-down notices. They've worked with the special IP SWAT team to raid people's homes. They knock on doors... This is all to deter others.

Remember Gizmodo. Apple could have just ignored the piece and not given any indication if the phone was real--they didn't. They chose to confirm the phone was genuine rather than passively let the leak go unpunished.

tl;dr The "Long iPhone" is fake. Apple cares about security. They have a long history of following a particular philosophy of aggressive action against leaks. THE "LONG iPHONE" LEAKS HAVE NOT BEEN CHALLENGED BY APPLE. No take down notices to be found.

This strongly suggests to me that everything we've seen to date is completely fake.

I would go even further. The more leaks that seem to confirm a design that go unanswered by Apple, the more likely it is to be fake. This sounds counter-intuitive, normally you'd expect more leaks lead to greater credibility (and this is true for every other company I can think of), but with Apple more leaks unanswered suggests the greater probability we're dealing with non-Apple products. Since the "Long iPhone" design has lots of rather dodgy support, coming from suppliers...agreeing with renders and speculation on boards--all without a peep from 1 Infinite Loop--I think you can disregard it with a fair degree of confidence.

Chrisg2014
Jul 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
I was kind of looking forward to something that looks a little more like the iPads Aluminum back... do you think the iPod touch will receive it or keep the glass, slivery back?

Ciclismo
Jul 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
I don't know, but wishing misfortune on other companies and taking pleasure in it seems to be the Apple fanboy way.

Yeah, except I tend to be like this all the time, to pretty much everything. I also watch people buying ice cream, hoping to see one of them drop the whole thing after only one taste. I am indeed a sad, sad person.

-Ray-
Jul 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
anyone notice that the mockup doesnt match the leaked faceplate.

the camera is off to the side and not above the speaker..

Allenbf
Jul 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, except I tend to be like this all the time, to pretty much everything. I also watch people buying ice cream, hoping to see one of them drop the whole thing after only one taste. I am indeed a sad, sad person.

So glad to see I'm not the only person like this. Cheers, m'friend.

I saw a guy faceplant into a glass door just this morning. Great start for the day...for me. :-)

Orange Furball
Jul 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
...[snip]... <insert sketch on The Office. If you haven't seen the one with the triangle shaped tablets, watch it :-) /> ...[snip]...

http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-2369-773e.jpg

That was the Pyramid from Sabre.

All I could think about during the keynote is Steve holding that up as the next iPad :p

*I'm a office freak, which is fitting because of my location.

MacFather
Jul 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
holes for mic and speaker arent symmetrical. Jony would have never allowed this.

lordofthereef
Jul 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Another day another rumor. Those that are dropping $1100 on a phone that has yet to be announced are a little crazy IMO. Are they even insured to get their money back if for some reason the phone doesn't launch when expected or is vastly different from these mockups? I mean, this is China, after all...

b0nd18t
Jul 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
the reason i hate the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is because i have to put it upside down in my cupholder when i plug it into my AUX jack and listen to it in my car.

gadget123
Jul 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
No way is it real.

Looks very fake.

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
The parts "leaked" do look real (although this clearly is just a mockup), but that isn't the issue.

Does anyone know of any indication that Apple has changed its policy regarding leaks?

If not, all these Long iPhone "leaks" are nonsense because we know how Apple handles these. They take them down immediately, as fast as possible. They pursue with civil threats, file criminal complaints, launch internal investigations.

bboucher790
Jul 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
Apple got lazy, iOS 6 and the new (most likely anyways) iPhone is proof of that. They thought "We're the best, why innovate anymore."

This is the beginning of the end of the iPhones dominance.

I'm honestly starting to believe Steve Jobs really was that important to Apple, in the past I've always thought that while playing a large part in the success, it wasn't only him... but since his death my opinion is really beginning to turn into one where without him, there simply is no Apple.

:(

Steve was heavily involved developing the "next gen" iPhone. We haven't even seen the "new" iPhone, give Apple a break.

Since Steve's death, Apple released arguably the best laptop in the history of laptops. Steve's presence is still highly visible, but we'll see where the company is in five years.

Roessnakhan
Jul 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
They take them down immediately, as fast as possible.

They actually haven't done that a while because it proves that the device is real. The original Gizmodo story on the iPhone 4 is still up, and none of those images were ever pulled around the web.

faroZ06
Jul 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
Pre-order the iPhone 5? Seems legit.

TimTheEnchanter
Jul 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
Confirmed! I have mockups too!

gmanist1000
Jul 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
holes for mic and speaker arent symmetrical. Jony would have never allowed this.

That is one of the first thing I noticed too, this would never be allowed and this leads me to believe that this isn't a real new iPhone.

AngryDenny
Jul 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
looks like someone spay painted it black. If any of the rumors are true about it being elongated then I will be disappointed. Really hoping for something fresh

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
They actually haven't done that a while because it proves that the device is real. The original Gizmodo story on the iPhone 4 is still up, and none of those images were ever pulled around the web.

With all due respect I don't think your example proves your point. Apple made a huge deal over the Gizmodo phone and pursued legal action against them. In this instance Apple hasn't lifted a finger against the "long iPhone."

Maybe you're right and Apple's security and legal philosophy has changed...but why would they? They're doing better than ever, Tim Cook has actually said security will be improved.

Roessnakhan
Jul 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
With all due respect I don't think your example proves your point. Apple made a huge deal over the Gizmodo phone and pursued legal action against them. In this instance Apple hasn't lifted a finger against the "long iPhone."

I just used the most extreme example, just in regards to the photos not being pulled not being an indicator of whether they're real or not. We knew what the iPad 2 would look (relatively) like a few months before it came out (http://9to5mac.com/2011/01/06/another-physical-ipad-2-mockup-spotted-at-ces/), and those photos were never pulled. I seem to remember iPod touch leaks as well.

Nicolas4ever
Jul 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
in fall apple will release an iPhone that isn't like this mock up.trust me!

NedBookPro
Jul 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
just got the new galaxy in as a test device at the office. It's the first time i've picked up a phone and been blown away and thought...man this may replace my iphone (and i was an early iphone adopter)

Same here...
A guy at work also recently got an S3 and showed it to us, and I too was blown away.

I really want to stay with iPhone, my contract is up in a couple of months, but I am finding it very hard to like anything about the iPhone 5.

Are people really excited about what they are seeing in these mockups? I mean - is love really blind? Can people be really excited about a stretched screen with essentially the 3rd generation of same body next to that of competing new phones?

So you only care how a phone looks, not what it does?

Well it is a factor... iOS 6 will run on earlier phones, and apple can limit iOS functionality like it did with siri on 4, but I think we all agree that's not really a nice thing to do if it's only done to force us to upgrade to new hardware.

The point is - and many people are making it... the S3 is starting to look mighty attractive both in form and functionality next to what looks like becoming a very tired iphone.
I mean, if the screen was the size of the S3, then that would be something. Same width but longer is totally ridiculous, and makes a mockery of something being all new.

I'll say it again... Tim and Jony, you guys have to come up with something fresh. I wanna love it, I really do, and nobody shouts apple from the rooftops like i do, but man - I got this sinking feeling.

I think somebody else said t here... apple is already losing it's mojo.

kokako
Jul 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
that's it ! nice, love that the headphone input is on the bottom this time makes perfect sense rather than on top with the cable hanging over our screen.

----------

that S3 is nice but personally I just find it too big.

apolloa
Jul 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
That looks REALLY fake to me!

The only part I have seen so far I believe is the chassis that guy showed off in the video, it looked legit. This item doesn't.

Dominicanyor
Jul 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
I like the 4s better for now.😄

thebignewt
Jul 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Some bozo made this in his shop class. I've got a Galaxy Nexus and it's a pretty hot phone, big size and all. Apple will one up Samsung IMO.

powers74
Jul 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
I was expecting a more drastic change from the current look. I like the 4/4S design, but it feels like it's time to try something newer.

Let Jony Ive go wild and design something radical.

Fortunately for everyone, Apple & Jonny don't really care about drastic, wild and radical, but rather better, classic and timeless. Apple is a company that tends to do thousands of hours into perfecting a design and sticking with it, as evidenced by, well... just about every product they have ever made. If you're looking for wild and drastic, there are plenty of choices out there.

Twixt
Jul 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hideous. 4" screen or not, I will NOT be buying one if it looks like this (which I doubt it will).

Same here, no way I buy that one...
Either Apple is mystifying all of us in a great way, or these guys are digging their grave with such poor shaped phone :/

Mechanic
Jul 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Lol apple would never produce anything this crappy, this thing looks like it was painted with a spray can.

ADR
Jul 12, 2012, 06:01 PM

Except that it was Brooklyn.

The idiom refers to con men selling the Brooklyn Bridge to tourists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/nyregion/thecity/27brid.html?_r=1&ex=1290747600&en=d5b19f580f176c64&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge#Cultural_significance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swampland_in_Florida#cite_note-0

LosAltosHills
Jul 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm hoping all these leaked parts pictures are old potential 4s parts that they decided not to do and theres a whole new design on its way.

ZipZap
Jul 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Lets hope the Iphone 5 is both longer and wider. Otherwise, its a no go.

Xtremehkr
Jul 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
Fortunately for everyone, Apple & Jonny don't really care about drastic, wild and radical, but rather better, classic and timeless. Apple is a company that tends to do thousands of hours into perfecting a design and sticking with it, as evidenced by, well... just about every product they have ever made. If you're looking for wild and drastic, there are plenty of choices out there.

Yes, thank you. But that was not meant to be taken seriously. I've been using an iMac since 2001, I bought the design that originally got Ive hired. His bubble iMac design that Jobs liked so much.

Mahler12x
Jul 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
If the iPhone 5 turns out to be nothing but a stretched out iPhone 4, there's gonna be a major customer bleed to sexier looking Androids or Windows phones this go around.

The iPhone has become so ubiquitous that every schmo you see walkin around has got one. As one of those dudes who bought the original the day it came out I can say it's been a loooong time since you could pull out your iPhone and have people's heads turn.

And given that this "redesign" is going to be what we're stuck with for the next 2 years with the 5 and 5S, I don't think Apple'd be positioning itself well in this increasingly competitive market.

The iPhone 5 HAS to be a sexier redesign than this. And I think it will be... (fingers crossed)

SpyderBite
Jul 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
If the iPhone 5 turns out to be nothing but a stretched out iPhone 4, there's gonna be a major customer bleed to sexier looking Androids or Windows phones

I think you're overestimating the number of narcissists that own iPhones vs the number of common sense every day users. I doubt the bottom line will be hurt by the vanity obsessed refugees.

TheMarc
Jul 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Isn't it just based on this?
Not sure if that gives it more, or less, credibility...

dra
Jul 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
omg what an ugly phone !!! apple i know you reading these comments with these controlled leaks , you can do better that this

ps add a 10Megaplix cam

patmalt
Jul 12, 2012, 07:39 PM

I just tried this on my iPad, and the home screen most definitely rotates

jcpb
Jul 12, 2012, 07:40 PM

Not on iPhones.

clg82
Jul 12, 2012, 07:42 PM

if you mean thousands of hours creating something that you can't even hold in your hand without dropping a call.......than you would be correct :rolleyes:

Sedrick
Jul 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just one more comformation that this is what we're getting this year.

Would be really sweet if Apple surprises us with something completely different. Doesn't seem likely tho...

montclaire
Jul 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
If Steve was around - no way he would release this thing. If they don't clean up the act pretty soon, in 4 years there will be no apple inc. Anyone else looking at samsung or htc as alterantive to this? I am invested heavy in apps store and all, but come on this is ridiculous. sammy's phones have bigger displays where you can watch movies, news, youtube videos. 4.3 at least and in a wider way.

TheMarc
Jul 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
If Steve was around - no way he would release this thing. If they don't clean up the act pretty soon, in 4 years there will be no apple inc. Anyone else looking at samsung or htc as alterantive to this? I am invested heavy in apps store and all, but come on this is ridiculous. sammy's phones have bigger displays where you can watch movies, news, youtube videos. 4.3 at least and in a wider way.

It's still a phone.. You have to be able to hold it and carry it in your pocket!
As for watching movies, this is supposed to be (or close to) 16:9... That seems pretty good for movies if you ask me.

Roessnakhan
Jul 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
If Steve was around - no way he would release this thing.

I'm getting tired of people claiming they know what Steve would have wanted, what he would of released or what is or isn't something Apple would make. You have no earthly idea.

Shaun, UK
Jul 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
I thought for one glorious second that Apple had finally ditched the home button when the two devices are shown side by side but sadly not it's just the iPhone 5 is upside down. Oh well one can always live in hope for next year I guess.

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just one more comformation that this is what we're getting this year.

Would be really sweet if Apple surprises us with something completely different. Doesn't seem likely tho...

We know these rumors and leaks feed on one another, just look at last year's hype around the tear drop iPhone. Despite many substantial leaks (even case makers betting seeming hundreds of thousands on it) it all turned out to be wrong.

You really have to look at Apple's history. Apple does NOT leak iPhones like this, they let Walt Mossberg of the WSJ in on tidbits. Daring Fireball gets inside info and confirms or denies details near the launch. When we've seen real iPhones leak, we've seen immediate action on Apple's part.

While this policy may have changed, isn't it more likely we're just seeing better fakes? China by all accounts has a virtual industry just of fake iPhones. What we have so far is a case design that does look legit, but that's it. No working phone. It's all suspicious to me how similar this looks to the current model, and how closely it resembles the earlier renders published on rumor sites (and we know those were fan renders). Third, remember the glass panel? Apple has gone to fusing those to the lcd display across it's product line, so why would the glass be separate?

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm getting tired of people claiming they know what Steve would have wanted, what he would of released or what is or isn't something Apple would make. You have no earthly idea.

But one thing we know is design philosophy. If they stick to the "long iphone" design they'll be moving further away from the more square iPad or previous iPhones. Why would they do that?

I find it much more likely that they do away with the big black bezels top and bottom and keep the current form factor than to simply make the one they have longer.

And even more likely than either of those, I think they'll be trying to create a new iPhone is visually VERY easy to distinguish from the current models.

I'm betting the screen gets quite a bit bigger this time around and the screen fills up far more of the face. A virtual home button wouldn't be surprising either. I also think they'll be returning to a more rounded appearance somehow (probably with the back being metal or polycarbonate with NFC antenna.

Orange Furball
Jul 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
We know these rumors and leaks feed on one another, just look at last year's hype around the tear drop iPhone. Despite many substantial leaks (even case makers betting seeming hundreds of thousands on it) it all turned out to be wrong.

You really have to look at Apple's history. Apple does NOT leak iPhones like this, they let Walt Mossberg of the WSJ in on tidbits. Daring Fireball gets inside info and confirms or denies details near the launch. When we've seen real iPhones leak, we've seen immediate action on Apple's part.

While this policy may have changed, isn't it more likely we're just seeing better fakes? China by all accounts has a virtual industry just of fake iPhones. What we have so far is a case design that does look legit, but that's it. No working phone. It's all suspicious to me how similar this looks to the current model, and how closely it resembles the earlier renders published on rumor sites (and we know those were fan renders). Third, remember the glass panel? Apple has gone to fusing those to the lcd display across it's product line, so why would the glass be separate?

The glass is still made separate. The glass could be made before the LCD in different areas and someone got hold of the glass before it was fused.

I still think they are fake, that's just an example

SpectatorHere
Jul 12, 2012, 08:47 PM

The glass is still made separate. The glass could be made before the LCD in different areas and someone got hold of the glass before it was fused.

I still think they are fake, that's just an example

I suppose you're right, but I thought the leaks were from a parts supplier for repairs. If I'm remembering correctly it wouldn't make much sense for a repair house to get half of the display units. I believe, and let me know if I'm mistaken, if you break the glass and want it replaced they swap out your lcd too, and replace with an entirely new fused display.

If I'm right on all that, then why would some supplier happen to get the corning gorilla glass 2 (pre-fused) and a completed back plate? Those seem like they'd come from completely different parts of the supply chain. It just doesn't fit to me.

AbSoluTc
Jul 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
If the iPhone 5 turns out to be nothing but a stretched out iPhone 4, there's gonna be a major customer bleed to sexier looking Androids or Windows phones this go around.

The iPhone has become so ubiquitous that every schmo you see walkin around has got one. As one of those dudes who bought the original the day it came out I can say it's been a loooong time since you could pull out your iPhone and have people's heads turn.

And given that this "redesign" is going to be what we're stuck with for the next 2 years with the 5 and 5S, I don't think Apple'd be positioning itself well in this increasingly competitive market.

The iPhone 5 HAS to be a sexier redesign than this. And I think it will be... (fingers crossed)

Vanity at it's finest!

Who gives a crap what phone you have and let alone if it turns heads? Jesus, all phones look alike now anyway. Flat, brick like devices. Literally, all the same. Only way to tell them apart is to hold it. If you want to turn heads, carry around a bag phone.

:rolleyes:

Poisednoise
Jul 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Except that it was Brooklyn.

The idiom refers to con men selling the Brooklyn Bridge to tourists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/nyregion/thecity/27brid.html?_r=1&ex=1290747600&en=d5b19f580f176c64&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge#Cultural_significance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swampland_in_Florida#cite_note-0

How fascinating: I acknowledge your superior knowledge. I had always been led to believe that the etymology of the phrase was as I had stated, but it's quite clear I was wrong.

And I think this bizarre sub-topic is much more interesting than a whole lot of people blithering on about whether the new iPhone 5 will be like the circulating pictures, whether Steve would have wanted it, etc. I say we just wait and see what we get. We're all like kids on Christmas morning shaking the parcel to see if we can figure out what it is before we're allowed to open it.

Notwithstanding the fact that that's kind of the whole point of a rumours site....

Orange Furball
Jul 12, 2012, 09:06 PM
I suppose you're right, but I thought the leaks were from a parts supplier for repairs. If I'm remembering correctly it wouldn't make much sense for a repair house to get half of the display units. I believe, and let me know if I'm mistaken, if you break the glass and want it replaced they swap out your lcd too, and replace with an entirely new fused display.

If I'm right on all that, then why would some supplier happen to get the corning gorilla glass 2 (pre-fused) and a completed back plate? Those seem like they'd come from completely different parts of the supply chain. It just doesn't fit to me.

Well I'm stumped. This just doesn't make any sense

Blue Fox
Jul 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Why does the mockup look like it was set on fire at some point?

(that's a horrible looking mock-up. Looks like balsa wood sides painted badly with a brush)

AFDoc
Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
I see a lot of complaining from people stating apple would never make a device that looks like this ect ect. Why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't they keep a design that allows them more internal space for the important things? Why not stretch it out so it's 16:9 ratio? Why not have a unibody design? All of you telling me what apple would or wouldn't make have no clue. You have no clue why they simply stretched the glass, no clue why they have the 2 tone back, no clue what iOS 6 will mean to/for the new device. I think the leaked design is 100% apple and hope its the next iPhone. So please for those of you that feel you know what is and isn't "apple" please just offer your personal opinions on the design and let apple speak for themselves.

pysl
Jul 12, 2012, 09:49 PM

I have seen quite a lot of people in Singapore changing from iPhone to samsung S3.... like it or not, there are people who love larger screens.

Lindsford
Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
That thing is ugly.

2IS
Jul 12, 2012, 10:37 PM

That comment confused me too. I was imagining myself being left handed and how that would affect anything vs being right handed with the headphone jack on the bottom.

sputnikv
Jul 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
this mockup looks like it was fished out of the ocean

gamerish
Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 PM
That is really quite ugly. I like the aluminum backing we've been seeing over the last few months but who wants a screen that's just taller? That's just stupid.

AFDoc
Jul 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'll take just a taller screen. The engineers at apple do have an idea what they're doing so I'll trust them to put out a device that's top quality and useful. There is a reason they are keeping the same width and only making the screen taller, we'll find out at the official unvail.

Mahler12x
Jul 12, 2012, 11:40 PM
Vanity at it's finest!

Who gives a crap what phone you have and let alone if it turns heads? Jesus, all phones look alike now anyway. Flat, brick like devices. Literally, all the same. Only way to tell them apart is to hold it. If you want to turn heads, carry around a bag phone.

:rolleyes:

It isn't about vanity, it's about keeping current, or in Apple's case, continuing to leave your COMPETITION looking outdated. If you think all phones look the same, like flat bricks, you're obviously not paying attention.

Most folks don't go out and buy a new iPhone because of a spec boost, they buy it because it's NEW and DIFFERENT than what they've grown overly familiar with. You and I may value function over style, but Apple's reputation was built on the idea that you don't HAVE to choose between one or the other, but you can have BOTH.

Stretching out a design for 4 years would be idiotic in virtually ANY industry. If Nokia did it, it's just more of the same. If Apple does it, reviews across the world will read, "What? Is that really all we get??"

----------

I see a lot of complaining from people stating apple would never make a device that looks like this ect ect. Why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't they keep a design that allows them more internal space for the important things? Why not stretch it out so it's 16:9 ratio? Why not have a unibody design? All of you telling me what apple would or wouldn't make have no clue. You have no clue why they simply stretched the glass, no clue why they have the 2 tone back, no clue what iOS 6 will mean to/for the new device. I think the leaked design is 100% apple and hope its the next iPhone. So please for those of you that feel you know what is and isn't "apple" please just offer your personal opinions on the design and let apple speak for themselves.

If you don't see how this would be received by the entire world as a disappointment, you're deluding yourself.

AFDoc
Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
It isn't about vanity, it's about keeping current, or in Apple's case, continuing to leave your COMPETITION looking outdated. If you think all phones look the same, like flat bricks, you're obviously not paying attention.

Most folks don't go out and buy a new iPhone because of a spec boost, they buy it because it's NEW and DIFFERENT than what they've grown overly familiar with. You and I may value function over style, but Apple's reputation was built on the idea that you don't HAVE to choose between one or the other, but you can have BOTH.

Stretching out a design for 4 years would be idiotic in virtually ANY industry. If Nokia did it, it's just more of the same. If Apple does it, reviews across the world will read, "What? Is that really all we get??"

----------

If you don't see how this would be received by the entire world as a disappointment, you're deluding yourself.
I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote. 3GS sold better than the 3G and 4s sold better than the 4 so by that very comparison your argument doesn't hold water. People did buy on specs as the phones looked identical to the preceding model. I buy iPhone for the ecosystem. I enjoy the phone above the other phones I've tried and we have many models in my home. I personally like the 4/4s design and really like the designs being seen on the interwebs. I don't believe iPhone needs a drastic redesign. I would like a larger than 4" screen (>4" <5") but will be perfectly happy with a taller 4" screen. I know I will be picking up at least 2 iPhone 5's and I'd be perfectly happy with the supposed leaked design. I believe you'd find the majority of iPhone owners would be more than satisfied with the design. I know my older teens need the newest designed "cutting edge" phone with me ALMOST jumping to an S3 simply for the screen size but after a bit of PMCS I decided against the change. IMHO nothing feels nicer than an iPhone. Now I dont put the 3G/3GS in the same category, those were a step backwards for me but I still purchased and loved those devices as well. Your statement about the world seeing this design as a disappointment is silly and in no way based in reality.

alexN350z
Jul 13, 2012, 02:14 AM
If iPhone 5 isn't radically different, Apple will fall further behind in the mobile market.

I can't agree with you anymore. If this is true, I will stop iOS and develope apps for Android.

pkson
Jul 13, 2012, 06:13 AM
Simple honest question... Has anyone actually found any indication in ios 6 on this new elongated screen? Usually people find hints in the software first.. Like the retina iPad... Right?

All I remember is reading some theories on how the screen can be made larger this way, but I don't remember reading any post on someone discovering artifacts in the OS.

Could it be that rumors just multiply and perpetuate until it becomes the consensus?

If anyone knows of any reports on the new screen resolution and such hidden in the software, could you please post a link?

As much as I read up on apple, I guess that must've slipped through...

For the record, I've looked around, read techcrunch, gruber, and stuff, but none of them actually quote any code...

MartiNZ
Jul 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
Good to see that headphone jack on the bottom pic again. The single best improvement to the iPhone that has (will have) ever been made.

Mad-B-One
Jul 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
That comment confused me too. I was imagining myself being left handed and how that would affect anything vs being right handed with the headphone jack on the bottom.

Well, it pretty much doesn't. Some people are always against change. They come up with things like "But now, it could get rain into it." Really? Rain? Then, they complain that their car docking station won't work anymore with the jack on the bottom. Well, you will have a longer phone to begin with and another dock connector. So, where does the headphone jack make a difference? You gotta replace it anyways. We don't know yet what kind of connector it will be. Maybe the Micro USB due to the European Union guideline "M/455" (Standardisation mandate to CEN, CENELEC and ETSI on a common Charging Capability for Mobile Telephones). That is what I am hoping for. Apple doesn't have to be different all the time. Would be nice to follow the industry standard at least on charging.

powers74
Jul 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, thank you. But that was not meant to be taken seriously. I've been using an iMac since 2001, I bought the design that originally got Ive hired. His bubble iMac design that Jobs liked so much.

Ha! ok! Yeah, all these comments calling for something new and different are killing me.

NEWS FLASH EVERYONE: It Is New And Different! IT HAS A METAL BACK!

Yes, it retains a similar form factor and many of the same details... Ever hear of building brand image or brand recognition? Think about the solid, chamfered sides of the MacBooks. Look at the MacPro. The first iPad had this look and I expect it will return to it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is a company that hones in on a particular design after thousands of hours of revision and design and engineering refinement. They do NOT design something new and trendy just so it looks new and trendy.

Think of a Porsche 911. Apple redesigns their products to be better than they were the last time. Unlike a pair of shoes or most american cars (Tarus --> 500 / Sebring --> 200 anyone?) which are exactly the same as they were before but just look a little different, Apple tries to focus on real design and engineering issues that push their own envelope rather than pour time and energy into superfluous styling exercises.

At least that's the way I see it. But what the hell do I know, I'm just an industrial designer.

mono1980
Jul 13, 2012, 09:01 AM

I was talking about the iPhone.

george-brooks
Jul 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
Looks to me like someone in China took all of the renderings floating around and decided to make a plastic model of the most common one. While the design looks nice, the construction of this particular FAKE is awful.

DanteMann
Jul 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ha! ok! Yeah, all these comments calling for something new and different are killing me.

Yes, it retains a similar form factor and many of the same details... Ever hear of building brand image or brand recognition? Think about the solid, chamfered sides of the MacBooks. Look at the MacPro. The first iPad had this look and I expect it will return to it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is a company that hones in on a particular design after thousands of hours of revision and design and engineering refinement. They do NOT design something new and trendy just so it looks new and trendy.

Think of a Porsche 911. Apple redesigns their products to be better than they were the last time. Unlike a pair of shoes or most american cars (Tarus --> 500 / Sebring --> 200 anyone?) which are exactly the same as they were before but just look a little different, Apple tries to focus on real design and engineering issues that push their own envelope rather than pour time and energy into superfluous styling exercises.

At least that's the way I see it. But what the hell do I know, I'm just an industrial designer.

Yeah, we're all industrial designs, scientists, professianl x,y,z, etc...behind a keyboard.

Bottom Line: Regardless of what the next iPhone looks like or features, the blind followers will spin it in a way that "makes sense" to them.

-It has a 4+ inch screen, turns into...."Apple did it the right way"
-It has LTE, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"
-It has NFC, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"
-It becomes longer but not wider, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"

Know what I mean?

HarryKNN21
Jul 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
I somehow believe in the physical mockup. We can think about how does the iPhone case industry work nowadays. They can create different bumpers that come with exchangeable back plates because of the current form factor. There are so many possible combinations in back cases design and this keep the industry growing fast.

If the next iPhone is redesigned like, let say, an Android phone, then the advantages of iPhone's design over an Android Phone is destroyed and the iPhone accessories industry would definitely go decline after that. I believe people would lose fun with their iPhone then as well.

Just for an example, the HTC One X is a good looking phone, but the reason for so narrow choice of cases is obviously because it doesn't allow many combinations in design of the accessories.

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
Meh. Seems potentially cool, but not exactly mind-blasting. But that's ok, for now. We'll see what it looks like in real life. And we'll see what other beta features apple might be putting on it. I do like the repositioned headphone jack though.

powers74
Jul 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, we're all industrial designs, scientists, professianl x,y,z, etc...behind a keyboard.

Bottom Line: Regardless of what the next iPhone looks like or features, the blind followers will spin it in a way that "makes sense" to them.

-It has a 4+ inch screen, turns into...."Apple did it the right way"
-It has LTE, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"
-It has NFC, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"
-It becomes longer but not wider, turns into..."Apple did it the right way"

Know what I mean?

Yeah, now that you put it that way everything really comes into focus.

wesg
Jul 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
Apple's done a great job handling the scaling of different devices (3G -> 4 Retina) and it seems to me that a change to the aspect ratio would introduce problems for many, many apps. If this is indeed legit, I'm not looking forward to all of the app updates I have to do.

aliensporebomb
Jul 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
I love the descriptions of the item in question "looks fished out of the ocean", "someone set it on fire", "looks like it was carved out of an ingot of dirty metal" etc. It does look questionable but the most important question is: when WOULD the next iPhone be released?

ixodes
Jul 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
I believe Apple is caving into the pressure and threat of the Galaxy S III, and the gorgeous HTC One X. Those two are widely recognized as the finest smartphones currently available.

Further proof of Apples paranoia, and worry that they may be falling behind, is the fact that they've released more information to keep people informed. A technique completely contrary to their normal silence.

The last time Apple panicked because suddenly a gaggle of Droid's were released via Verizon, we had Antennagate.

I hope we don't have to go through that again. Apple basically blew it under pressure just to ship the new model ahead of time.

Apple is better than that. Suddenly it seems like they are adrift... it's anyone's guess as to why.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html

appleaddictx
Jul 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
It would be an engineering miracle if this is done, but this way I can still hold my phone upright on my belly and have headphones in so I can listen to music in the airport and stuff while strange people can have the speaker on the bottom.

Xtremehkr
Jul 13, 2012, 07:20 PM

I continue to like the look of the iPhone 4/4S, it's not aged like the 3 series iPhones did. I am definitely looking forward to see what Ive has done, the longer he works with a design the better it gets. The evolution of the iMac has been amazing. From the bubble iMac to the 27" iMac it's been an amazing progression.

Gjwilly
Jul 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
It would be an engineering miracle if this is done, but this way I can still hold my phone upright on my belly and have headphones in so I can listen to music in the airport and stuff while strange people can have the speaker on the bottom.

Or just make the Music app rotate 180-degrees.
In the betas it is looking like landscape is going to be supported so maybe they'll go all the way and provide 360-degree rotation.

ade2bee
Jul 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
If this is the real shape of things to come.. Game, set and match to Galaxy S3. I've already seen numerous friends migrate over and love it, this will make them flock

hstewart
Jul 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
This is look like a total fake generated by some of Apple haters.

The reason I say this is for two specific reasons.

1. The port is different, Apple haters hate the Apple Port
2. The model is wider, I can accept the longer screen - but not the wider screen
3. This looks like a cheap stretch of existing iPhone 4 models - but with a different port.

My guess this rumor is from the same Apple haters that created the 7in iPad rumors.

If this is true, I might serious switch from Apple, actually to Microsoft - because the last place I will ever go is Android.

isoft7
Jul 14, 2012, 01:15 PM
This is look like a total fake generated by some of Apple haters.

The reason I say this is for two specific reasons.

1. The port is different, Apple haters hate the Apple Port
2. The model is wider, I can accept the longer screen - but not the wider screen
3. This looks like a cheap stretch of existing iPhone 4 models - but with a different port.

My guess this rumor is from the same Apple haters that created the 7in iPad rumors.

If this is true, I might serious switch from Apple, actually to Microsoft - because the last place I will ever go is Android.

lol @ "apple haters"

Sure, thats gotta be it.

Sean4123
Jul 14, 2012, 09:24 PM
So basically we are getting a long 4/4S with a metal back, but not a full metal back, that'd be too simple. Apple decides to ******* with us and put two pieces of glass on top and bottom so they can break easily.

This better not be the new iPhone, and if it is, and has the same look and feel of the 4/4S, i'm out.

The Galaxy S III and the One X are too nice of phones to go with the same old iPhone again for another 2 years. SMH...

And just so you guys know, i'm one of the biggest Apple fans out there..

Gjwilly
Jul 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
So basically we are getting a long 4/4S with a metal back, but not a full metal back, that'd be too simple. Apple decides to ******* with us and put two pieces of glass on top and bottom so they can break easily.

A full metal back would bridge the two antennas, shorting them.
Antennaegate all over again.

Sean4123
Jul 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
A full metal back would bridge the two antennas, shorting them.
Antennaegate all over again.

Antennagate was ridiculous anyways.

They need to make this phone look different than the 4/4S. They really are gonna lose a ton of iPhone users because they are refusing to innovate.

iOS 6.0 has the same look and feel as the first iPhone.

They really need to polish it up and have the new iPhone get its own verison of iOS 6, that makes the phone feel new and fresh.

If these rumors are true, expect a huge backlash.

MartiNZ
Jul 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Antennagate was ridiculous anyways.

No, it wasn't. But it taught us to Hold Different :apple:, and that solved most of the pain of it, except for when the comfort of holding the device normally overroad the desire for reception.

I would agree with the second part fully, but conversely I will be really pleased if this turns out to be the new iPhone design. Still not quite as good as the 3G/S design, but an improvement on the 4/S for sure. And new port, bring it on!

sonovale
Jul 17, 2012, 03:06 AM
I have the the same opinion.Thanks;)