Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
My 1.25GHz PowerBook did something really strange yesterday. I was surfing the net via airport, and using Firefox. The battery was plugged into the wall, and my processor was set to highest. All of a sudden the fans turned on full speed, and the PB got hot. Not the normal heating pad hot, I mean burn my frickin legs hot. I opened up activity monitor and saw my processor was running full tilt at 100%. I closed Firefox, turned off airport, dimmed my screen, and waited. Nothing happeded. The processor kept running full speed ahead even though nothing was open. I ran a bunch of system tests and they all said my computer was fine. Not satisfied, I opened up Onyx, repaired permissions, ran scripts, rebooted, zapped pr and nv ram, and waited. My computer started up just fine and now everything is back to normal. My question is, what the heck could have caused this? Anybody ever experience something like this? I was pretty worried there for a minute. Thanks in advance.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
When you opened Activity Moniter, did you sort by CPU use? Sometimes that can find the culprit.

Also if you unplug your iPod without ejecting it (say you put your computer to sleep and disconnect your iPod, it'll lock the computer up and such) it might do that.

Try relaunching finder, sometimes that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.