Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage8.png

Apple has rolled out an update to iPhoto, bringing the photo management software to version 9.3.1. The update fixes a couple minor bugs:
What's New in Version 9.3.1

- Addresses a problem during the migration of albums from MobileMe Gallery that may cause photos to be moved from their original events into a new event called "From MobileMe"

- Fixes an issue that in rare cases could cause iPhoto to hang when upgrading libraries
The update weighs in at 599.65 MB and can be downloaded via Software Update or via Apple's software update website.

Article Link: Apple Updates iPhoto to Version 9.3.1 With Minor Bug Fixes

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This isn't showing up for me in the Mac App Store under Updates in 10.8. Anyone else?

Edit: showed up

Last edited:

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
I really look forward to the update that says "fixes an issue where iPhoto hangs constantly and is often unresponsive to the point of being unusable."

Or maybe my computer is just getting old... :p

Edit: also, the update is not showing up for me in software update (Lion).

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
I really look forward to the update that says "fixes an issue where iPhoto hangs constantly and is often unresponsive to the point of being unusable."

Or maybe my computer is just getting old... :p

Edit: also, the update is not showing up for me in software update (Lion).

Why do Apple do this?! A 600mb update. . . .for a patch? Why not just ...youknow....PATCH it?

iJason87

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Showed up for me on 10.8 but was 983MB!!! I wonder why it's soo large? Is ir re-downloading the whole app?

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Hopefully this is so large because it can update 9.0 to 9.3.1 directly. Yesterday 9.1 had to be downloaded before 9.3 could be installed.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Any developers here with M.L. GM also experiences long software update checks?

I've filed bug reports with engineering, but compared to previous OS X variants it's certainly been slower.

(and yet the download speed is fast, dl'ed in less than 5 minutes)

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California

Agreed completely! I *know* my computer is old and really pushing it (just waiting for an iMac with 2012 hardware, another sore spot) but iPhoto's performance is pitiful even considering that.

Or how about fixing all of the annoying issues such as the Info panel randomly disappearing, library sharing doesn't share events or albums in subfolders, folders in shared libraries are in random order, STILL doesn't gracefully handle RAW+JPEG pairs of files, many issues with setting (or attempting to set) photo locations, etc. Or bring back the floating adjustments dialog which was infinitely more useful than the current setup where you can't see adjustments and "quick fixes" at the same time.

Nah, didn't think so. :rolleyes: As is so typical of Apple, they've grown bored with iPhoto and ignored it, so a once promising product has stagnated over the last several years without any useful updates. I read somewhere that a former employee said they basically have one team of "A" engineers that switches projects depending on what's hot in the minds of executive management; other projects get relegated to the "B" teams to languish. I can totally believe that, given Apple's penchant for ignoring products after they're no longer the hot new thing. Really frustrating as a customer... :(

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Mine was 630MB but it seems hung up and says, "Waiting for other installations to complete." I've never seen that before.

I gave it half an hour and then did a force quit from Software Update. It installed fine, no problems but just had the progress bar hang up.

Aug 26, 2008
Agreed completely! I *know* my computer is old and really pushing it (just waiting for an iMac with 2012 hardware, another sore spot) but iPhoto's performance is pitiful even considering that.

Or how about fixing all of the annoying issues such as the Info panel randomly disappearing, library sharing doesn't share events or albums in subfolders, folders in shared libraries are in random order, STILL doesn't gracefully handle RAW+JPEG pairs of files, many issues with setting (or attempting to set) photo locations, etc. Or bring back the floating adjustments dialog which was infinitely more useful than the current setup where you can't see adjustments and "quick fixes" at the same time.

Nah, didn't think so. :rolleyes: As is so typical of Apple, they've grown bored with iPhoto and ignored it, so a once promising product has stagnated over the last several years without any useful updates. I read somewhere that a former employee said they basically have one team of "A" engineers that switches projects depending on what's hot in the minds of executive management; other projects get relegated to the "B" teams to languish. I can totally believe that, given Apple's penchant for ignoring products after they're no longer the hot new thing. Really frustrating as a customer... :(

This is exactly the kind of management that will drive them into the ground, long term. Especially without Jobs around to sell their wares at entertaining keynotes. This years WWDC was a bit embarrassing (IMO), aside from the new macbook. If they launch a product they really should have a dedicated team that sits there and develops it full time. It is so obvious that shortly after something is released it becomes abandon ware...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I noticed "Empty iPhoto Trash" in the iPhoto sub menu. Is this new?

Still ticked iPhoto "Time Machine" support was removed. Makes no sense.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I thing the Empty iPhoto trash is in my version and I haven't updated yet.

Not meaning to hijack, but does anyone have any idea why, when I change the date/year on an iPhoto picture, the year goes backward about 75 years every single time? I've asked this elsewhere and noone has any idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.