PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launches New 'Food & Drink' Category on App Store

MacRumors
Jul 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/12/apple-launches-new-food-drink-category-on-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/foodanddrink.jpg

A few weeks ago (http://www.macstories.net/news/app-store-adding-new-food-drink-category-on-july-8th/), MacStories noted that Apple had told developers that a new Food & Drink category was coming to the App Store."In the next few weeks", applications will be automatically migrated to the new category; currently, the App Store doesn't provide a specific category for these types of apps, which have been typically listed under Lifestyle by their developers. According to Apple, the new category will include "apps that help users cook and bake, mix drinks, manage recipes, find new restaurants and bars, and learn what their friends like to eat and drink". Food & Drink won't include diet, grocery shopping, coupon clipping, or food-related game apps.The new category is now live in the App Store [Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-food-drink/id6023?mt=8)] and features over 2800 Paid and 4000 Free apps in the iPhone section and over 1200 Paid and 1000 Free apps in the iPad section. Apple has been contacting (http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/02/app-store-to-soon-get-new-food-and-drink-category-relevant-developers-contacted/) developers with relevant Food & Drink apps over the past few weeks to prepare for the new category.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Food & Drink' Category on App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/12/apple-launches-new-food-drink-category-on-app-store/)

AJH1993
Jul 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Now if only instant food delivery were a thing...
I'd so download that app

jcpb
Jul 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'd so download that app

Chuck Norris owns neither microwave nor oven. When he is hungry, he simply shouts "BAKE" to his food, and out of fear, the food instantly catches on fire.

appleguy123
Jul 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Front page news? This is possibly less important than the bug fix to iPhoto.

Rocketman
Jul 12, 2012, 07:48 PM
Apple is now our subsistence supplier overlord. :D

Amazon thinks they can deliver same day.

McMaster-Carr already does and has for years!

D.T.
Jul 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Perfect, since I have a Food & Drink folder already :)

sailmac
Jul 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Phew! I never did consider Chipotle a lifestyle...

sulpfiction
Jul 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Doughnuttsss!

G51989
Jul 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Tons of larger and some local chains have iOS and android apps that you can use to place an order, and even pay with, and add a tip for the driver.

Kinda cool they have their own section now.

Rocketman
Jul 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
Perfect, since I have a Food & Drink folder already :)iOS senses that and sends it to Apple servers and you (and your similar situated users) caused the feature to be added.

ChristianJapan
Jul 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
Siri, I would like to get a pizza with mozzarella

:apple: get 30% for each pizza ? Just wonder ... :D

D.T.
Jul 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
iOS senses that and sends it to Apple servers and you (and your similar situated users) caused the feature to be added.

Yikes, my Dirty Sex folder is going to cause a real problem ...

Inakto
Jul 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
This is discussion is making me hungry :(

Chrisg2014
Jul 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Just got the Krispi Kream app. NOW I KNEW WHEN THERE ARE HOT DOUGHNUTS SIGN IS ON!!! Score one for the boys back home!

k2director
Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
If I'm an English speaking user using the North American store, why do I constantly have to see apps in Asian languages? It's one of the many many annoying traits of Apple's vaunted App Store.

Rocketman
Jul 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
yikes, my dirty sex folder is going to cause a real problem ...But it's going to be great for the rest of us!

I sat at a Mac II ci terminal at a (HMC) university in ~1992-4 and asked my fellow terminal junkies why I could not use the internet to order pizza.

They brought to my attention there was nobody on the other side of the line.

As a land line user at the time I totally got it. If I only knew then what the internet would become . . .

Rocketman

BornAgainMac
Jul 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
Those apps don't look appetizing.

koolmagicguy
Jul 12, 2012, 09:50 PM
This post reminded me that I am hungry.

quietstormSD
Jul 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
Wow MacRumors, you're not just fishing for stories today to put on the front page, you're literally scuba diving.

calvinline
Jul 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
This is *not* news

devilbond
Jul 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
A Food & Drink app using a Koala as a mascot makes me a little uneasy.

Stridder44
Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 PM

I, for one, have been losing sleep over this for months. This is EXCELLENT, life-alter news!

NYR99
Jul 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
I usually hate when people say, "This is front page news?!", but I think this is definitely not front page worthy.

devilbond
Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
If I'm an English speaking user using the North American store, why do I constantly have to see apps in Asian languages? It's one of the many many annoying traits of Apple's vaunted App Store.

Pretty sure there are Asian people in North America too, so...

If you could filter App Store results based on a default language preference that might be cool, but if so, I'd prefer that feature to be optional as I regularly search for Japanese and Korean apps, even though I am a native English speaking Australian.

tech4all
Jul 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
This is *not* news

So you haven't posted anything since February and decided to post this comment today that adds nothing to the thread other than random zeros and one's to the hard drive on the server that hosts this website?

:rolleyes:

SeaFox
Jul 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
I know this may shock you, but some people can actually read more than one language. So even if they primarily speak English, they may also enjoy media in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, or French. Also, it has been found that many people who speak these additional languages live in the United States.

Sociologists are still trying to determine what would cause this large diversity of people to seemingly melt together within a certain geographic area, but they are certain the answer lies in a middle school civics or history textbook.

chuboy
Jul 12, 2012, 11:21 PM
I'd so download that app

That app is called Munchery.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/munchery/id517484130?mt=8

The *only* food app that actually can get you food every day from a curated menu from personal chefs. Just order now, and you get that night. SF Bay Area only.

The Competition:
Grubhub / Eat24 -- Gets you the same greasy food every day
Chipotle -- Gets you the same either a chicken or steak burrito ... every day
Dominos -- Pizza every day, really?
Foodspotting -- K, it'll let you look at good food every day.

faroZ06
Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 AM

I'm normally not someone who complains about stuff being front-page, but this is not newsworthy.

----------

I know this may shock you, but some people can actually read more than one language. So even if they primarily speak English, they may also enjoy media in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, or French. Also, it has been found that many people who speak these additional languages live in the United States.

Sociologists are still trying to determine what would cause this large diversity of people to seemingly melt together within a certain geographic area, but they are certain the answer lies in a middle school civics or history textbook.

Yeah, but all it takes is one "languages" setting to clear it up instead of just giving everyone every app.

spacepower7
Jul 13, 2012, 12:48 AM
Apple needs many more categories added, but they don't want to overwhelm the basic users. There are many apps that straggle the line between productivity and utilities. In video, there are recording apps, conversion apps, tagging apps, uploading apps etc. I think we need optional subcategories?

Piggie
Jul 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
Please Apple.

Create a third type of app category, separate from free and paid for.

One where it's free to download and then costs money to actually either play further than a little bit, or is designed to cost money to progress through the game realistically.

Some app devs have got out of control since the iPad app store started and are being really misleading about their apps.

Totally abusing either the concept of "Free" or extremely abusing the concept of "in app purchases" to progress in a game.

This is one of the worst creations/ideas in software I've seen since I started computing and Apple should stamp on it.

Like buying a Radio at a store, thinking it's perfect then when you get it home, find out you can't get a refund and you need to pay more money to tune into more stations, or the tuning if really slow but you can have faster tuning if you pay a bit more.

Either that, or allow us even just 1 hour to get a refund of apps that lie about their status on the app store and it's only after paying that you learn the truth.

If you could get refunds and the devs lost their money I'm sure they'd have to put themselves back in order. I've seen so very many reviews that agree with me on the app store about angry people saying they bought it and you need to spend more money

dolph0291
Jul 13, 2012, 01:41 AM

I dunno... maybe the one or two Asians who are unfortunate enough to live in the confines of your English-only-speaking White-only world don't speak English and know how to use a computer? The nerve of those people, seriously.

basjhj
Jul 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
a Science & Engineering category???

kalsta
Jul 13, 2012, 04:07 AM
Please Apple.

One where it's free to download and then costs money to actually either play further than a little bit, or is designed to cost money to progress through the game realistically.

Some app devs have got out of control since the iPad app store started and are being really misleading about their apps.

Totally abusing either the concept of "Free" or extremely abusing the concept of "in app purchases" to progress in a game.

This is one of the worst creations/ideas in software I've seen since I started computing and Apple should stamp on it.

Like buying a Radio at a store, thinking it's perfect then when you get it home, find out you can't get a refund and you need to pay more money to tune into more stations, or the tuning if really slow but you can have faster tuning if you pay a bit more.

Either that, or allow us even just 1 hour to get a refund of apps that lie about their status on the app store and it's only after paying that you learn the truth.

If you could get refunds and the devs lost their money I'm sure they'd have to put themselves back in order. I've seen so very many reviews that agree with me on the app store about angry people saying they bought it and you need to spend more money

Wait, you want a refund on the 'free' app you downloaded? :confused:

For those with an up-front purchase price AND in-app purchases, you can of course see the in-app purchases before you buy. I would take that into account before buying a game.

ann713
Jul 13, 2012, 04:26 AM
Please Apple.

I understand where you are coming from. Might I say that some of the Free (but pay to win) apps are actually quite enjoyable, without spending the extra money. You are given the choice to, either play the game as-is, or progress through by purchasing extra coins and such. Also, in-game purchases always ask for a confirmation so it's not like they are stealing money or misleading you. This is how most developers make their money anyway and I hardly see anything wrong with that. Perhaps I have not downloaded such "extreme" apps, so let me know and I will definitely check them out for myself.

iapplelove
Jul 13, 2012, 06:27 AM
Yawn

hickabob
Jul 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
This category makes sense... I however hate that Newsstand is a category and not a separate section of the app store! Makes it hard to find specific items.

Piggie
Jul 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
Wait, you want a refund on the 'free' app you downloaded? :confused:

For those with an up-front purchase price AND in-app purchases, you can of course see the in-app purchases before you buy. I would take that into account before buying a game.

No a refund period on purchased apps, as the Android app store has I believe so you can download and try and find the best app for you as opposed to reading others reviews than can be VERY misleading (some has suggested dishonest at times) when a poor app get's many 5 stars.

And a separate area for what we used to call Shareware.

Free = Free
ShareWare = Limited functions unless you paid
Paid = You are buying the whole product

The problem is, it's not possible to see how realistic playing without paying more is, till you try it for yourself. Who sets the difficulty level, perhaps it's really hard to get through the game unless you buy extra armour/weapons etc?

Who is to judge what it just a nice optional add-on (like a different colour jumper and pants for your character) or something almost needed, like the telephoto scope for the sniper rifle as without that it's almost impossible to get an accurate shot.

rdlink
Jul 13, 2012, 08:29 AM
This is *not* news

I tried to think of a less offensive way to say this, but I couldn't: Would you please just shut up?

This is news to some people, and all that you have to do is pass it up if it doesn't interest you. Probably took you longer to post your inane comment than it would have to type in the address of another website.

Or perhaps you could have better spent your time working to improve your own free website that's read by hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people a day...

----------

I dunno... maybe the one or two Asians who are unfortunate enough to live in the confines of your English-only-speaking White-only world don't speak English and know how to use a computer? The nerve of those people, seriously.

Don't get me started. There are far more resources for non-English speaking immigrants, who refuse to embrace the traditional language of this country when they choose to relocate here than there are English resources in non-English speaking countries. Don't make it sound like we're intolerant here in the US, because we're very accommodating. In fact, too much so in some cases.

I'm a fairly tolerant person, but my tolerance was severely tested when I used an ATM in the Washington DC area, and because I didn't specifically choose English as the language it defaulted to Spanish. Not a fluke, either, because that particular bank's ATMs did it every time I used them. I stopped using them after the fourth time it did it, and that bank will never get my business.

OK, I'm done ranting off topic...

ixodes
Jul 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
Even the slightest change involving anything Apple becomes news.

It won't be long before an App appears that takes advantage of Apples notification system, alerting us to every fart, burp, or crap someone takes at Apple.

Damn I simply cannot wait... that will thrill the heck out of the 15 year old boys.

It's just one more compelling reason, to buy an iPhone. Anything to continue to drive sales.

RMo
Jul 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
my tolerance was severely tested when I used an ATM in the Washington DC area, and because I didn't specifically choose English as the language it defaulted to Spanish. ... I stopped using them....

Your tolerance was tested because you didn't read what the ATM said? Sounds like your fault. Also, Spanish is spoken by over 1 out of 10 people in the United States, more if you count those who learn it as a second language--not exactly obscure. Perhaps you should try it.

In the mean time, I'm perfectly capable of seeing when, for example, an app in the App Store is Japanese and I wouldn't get any use out of it. Mind you, I do appreciate my Chinese dictionary application. So while offering the user the possibility to filter by languages might be nice, I see no reason for Apple to implement a language policy themselves.

mono1980
Jul 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
It's breaking news everyone!!!

bocomo
Jul 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
Now we just need sub categories (especially for Games, Productivity, and Utilities)

vladi
Jul 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hold on! Apple didn't patent App Store schematics and branching? I was expecting to read "Apple was just granted Food&Drink category in app store" :)

P.S. I hope I didn't give them any ideas ... This was just a joke Apple!

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
a Science & Engineering category???

That would be AWESOME.

Meanwhile, the food and drink is a handy category for me. But man, I do like my science apps... :)

Rufuss Sewell
Jul 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
As a musician who LOVES all the weird and not so popular iOS instruments and synths, I really wish the music category would have sub-categories.

Radio Stations
Instruments
Band Apps/Promotion
Learning/Music Theory
Tools (tuners, metronomes etc)

These are all in the music category but otherwise completely unrelated. It makes searching for instruments tedious when it's 95% radio and band promotion apps.

rdlink
Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Your tolerance was tested because you didn't read what the ATM said? Sounds like your fault. Also, Spanish is spoken by over 1 out of 10 people in the United States, more if you count those who learn it as a second language--not exactly obscure. Perhaps you should try it.

In the mean time, I'm perfectly capable of seeing when, for example, an app in the App Store is Japanese and I wouldn't get any use out of it. Mind you, I do appreciate my Chinese dictionary application. So while offering the user the possibility to filter by languages might be nice, I see no reason for Apple to implement a language policy themselves.

My tolerance was tested because I specifically chose not to waste my time pressing Spanish, and it should have defaulted to English, like every other ATM in the ENGLISH SPEAKING UNITED STATES does. You know English, don't you? The global language of commerce? Not exactly obscure...

kalsta
Jul 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
No a refund period on purchased apps, as the Android app store has I believe so you can download and try and find the best app for you as opposed to reading others reviews than can be VERY misleading (some has suggested dishonest at times) when a poor app get's many 5 stars.

And a separate area for what we used to call Shareware.

Free = Free
ShareWare = Limited functions unless you paid
Paid = You are buying the whole product

The problem is, it's not possible to see how realistic playing without paying more is, till you try it for yourself. Who sets the difficulty level, perhaps it's really hard to get through the game unless you buy extra armour/weapons etc?

Who is to judge what it just a nice optional add-on (like a different colour jumper and pants for your character) or something almost needed, like the telephoto scope for the sniper rifle as without that it's almost impossible to get an accurate shot.

Okay, fair enough, you want a brief trial period. Are you willing to pay more for each app because developers have to now factor in a drop in overall sales? Keep this in mind… Apple created an environment which lead to many thousands of quality apps at incredibly low prices. I'd challenge anyone to say they're paying too much for games on the App Store. So once in a while you purchase a 99 cent app and you don't like it. Meh. So that adds a small price to the cost of all the other apps you bought and kept. In many cases you're not paying any more than you would if you put coins into an arcade game machine—but with the App Store you get to keep the game if you like it!

The Android app store may have a trial period… I have no idea. But how many developers is that store attracting compared to Apple's? Is it a sustainable model given the price consumers are now expecting to pay for apps?

I also don't see Apple calling anything with an in-app purchase 'shareware'. All incentive for developers to add those 'nice optional add-ons' you speak of will disappear if it means their app gets shunted into a separate shareware category, and they lose a source of potential income. Again, you may end up paying a higher price for each app now that all those in-app purchasers are no longer subsidizing your download.