PDA

View Full Version : Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Improving for the First Time

MacRumors
Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-for-the-first-time/)

For the first time since its launch just over one month ago, Apple's Retina MacBook Pro has begun to see improvements in shipping estimates for new orders placed through the company's online store. The improvement has appeared first in Apple's Asia-Pacific markets (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select), which have seen estimates move from 3-4 weeks to 2-3 weeks.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/retina_macbook_pro_ship_2_3_weeks_jul13.jpg

Shipping estimates in Apple's other main distribution regions of the Americas and Europe/Middle East/Africa remain at 3-4 weeks, but it is likely they will see similar improvements in the near future.

While Apple announced the Retina MacBook Pro as immediately available on its debut day of June 11, shipping estimates quickly slipped to 2-3 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/) by the end of the day and reached 3-4 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/) roughly 24 hours later. Estimates have remained steady at 3-4 weeks since that time until today's improvement in the Asia-Pacific channel.

Update: The improved 2-3 week estimates have now spread to the Americas and are beginning to filter into a number of European stores.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Improving for the First Time (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-for-the-first-time/)

isoMorpheus
Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
I want Mountain Lion!

Prof.
Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
Call me when it says "Ships: 2 - 3 days"

its93rc
Jul 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
They are selling like iPhones.

I still want a 13" for $1799 though.

hellomoto4
Jul 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
I don't know why anyone would wait 2-3 weeks when you could pick one up in store... I picked mine up in store on day two and asked a few questions about availability when I was there, for future reference. Apple often release what they've got for sale in the late afternoon, between 2 and 4pm. If you call up though, they'll say they've got nothing in stock.

Definitely recommend taking this route instead of waiting. You might be unlucky the first couple of days, but you'll get one quicker than 3 weeks! :apple:

eagandale4114
Jul 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
I don't know why anyone would wait 2-3 weeks when you could pick one up in store... I picked mine up in store on day two and asked a few questions about availability when I was there, for future reference. Apple often release what they've got for sale in the late afternoon, between 2 and 4pm. If you call up though, they'll say they've got nothing in stock.

Definitely recommend taking this route instead of waiting. You might be unlucky the first couple of days, but you'll get one quicker than 3 weeks! :apple:

Some people want the base + 16 GB ram model or the 2.7/768/16 model which are not easily found in stores.
BTO is the only sure way to get some of these models.

isoMorpheus
Jul 12, 2012, 11:29 PM

Except there are folks for whom a trip to a store can be a big drag.

appleguy123
Jul 12, 2012, 11:31 PM

The difference in taxes alone between where I live and where the Apple store is makes this not worth it.

ChuckG
Jul 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
The difference in taxes alone between where I live and where the Apple store is makes this not worth it.

Exactly. The best deal you can get right now is on Amazon for the 2.6/512/8 model for $2659.99 without paying sales tax (which may vary according to your location). That same config from Apple.com costs $3,079.90 after CA sales tax.

IMHO, for a first generation rMBP, it'd be wise to not opt for the tricked out model (2.7/768/16) unless you absolutely need it as component prices will inevitably drop and more advanced GPUs capable of keeping up with the Retina Display at 60fps become available in a year or two.

Update: The above mentioned rMBP is no longer available at the quoted price from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074721BI/

/dev/toaster
Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
Still shows 3 - 4 weeks for me.

----------

The stores only carry base models and a few slightly upgraded ones. The upgraded ones sell out very fast, even still.

Base models are pretty common.

foidulus
Jul 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
Some people want the base + 16 GB ram model or the 2.7/768/16 model which are not easily found in stores.

Hmm..maybe the situation is different based on location, but in Japan the only 16 gb models stores carry is the 2.7/768/16, which sucks because I do not want to spend that much money for an extra 256 gigs of flash space(esp. when with iCloud and itunes and whatnot I can download most of my big files from anywhere). I really wish they had any model with 16gb that didnt have the maxed out ssd....

And just as another anecdote/data point, the only 16gb small dog has in stock is the full maxed out one.

adeedew
Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Since these are not upgradable your only option is to buy through the website and wait. I'm not sure because I've never wanted to order a MacBook Pro on launch date but this seems excessively long I ordered mine on launch day and it just shipped this week. Hope it's worth it

Mr. Gates
Jul 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
Slow news day :confused:

appledude222
Jul 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
It already slipped to 3-4 weeks

Fruit Cake
Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
My brother got the entry model on launch day, I think its nice, but in this day of age, 2499 is too much to pay for a laptop, ESP a non upgradable one.

hellomoto4
Jul 13, 2012, 12:31 AM

The stores only carry base models and a few slightly upgraded ones. The upgraded ones sell out very fast, even still.

Base models are pretty common.

Fair enough, I'll agree. I didn't really think about this since I just got a base model.

Except there are folks for whom a trip to a store can be a big drag.

Good point. I guess I just thought about those who could quite easily make it to an Apple Store.

Hmm, didn't even know about this since I am in AU and tax is set nationally, rather than state-wide.

Mr. Gates
Jul 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
My brother got the entry model on launch day, I think its nice, but in this day of age, 2499 is too much to pay for a laptop, ESP a non upgradable one.

Agreed, but a lot of serious Facebook users and Web Surfers will insist that they NEEEEEEEED it ...:rolleyes:

StuLax18
Jul 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
I'm really happy that the estimates have dwindled to 2-3 weeks in the Asia-Pacific store, but that really doesn't affect me at this time. :)

wickerman1893
Jul 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
Not surprised. It's been a good month since launch. This is the usual time frame in which these start to slow down in order.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
I want Mountain Lion!

Then wait until around the 20th, which is one week away.

MacGurl111
Jul 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
Agreed, but a lot of serious Facebook users and Web Surfers will insist that they NEEEEEEEED it ...:rolleyes:

I neeeeeeed mine. :D

I see you're from Redmond? Grew up in Kirkland. :)

dieburnbot
Jul 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
The retina macbook is useless to me. I use my laptop connected to an external monitor. If I want to use something portable I have an iPad. What I really want to see is their monitor lineup become retina or a retina iMac. :p

JarrodGardiner
Jul 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
I want Mountain Lion!

Me too!

xxundrclssherox
Jul 13, 2012, 01:53 AM
Apple Store website is 2-3 weeks for me and I'm in Michigan, so looks like it's not just for Asia/Pacific anymore! Now hopefully my rMBP comes in sooner rather than later! =D

reden
Jul 13, 2012, 02:09 AM
Where are the "down vote" arrows?

Laird Knox
Jul 13, 2012, 02:17 AM
The only reason stock is improving is because the SF government canceled their orders after Apple dropped epeat. :rolleyes:

iEnvy
Jul 13, 2012, 02:47 AM
Probably because of ML

coltman75
Jul 13, 2012, 02:56 AM

They've been disabled... Thank God.

Comeagain?
Jul 13, 2012, 03:30 AM
Down to 2-3 weeks in the US.

stormdanny
Jul 13, 2012, 03:35 AM
wonder when is the time they start selling 13" MacBook Pro with retina display? I think those who got the 15", will need not to have another 13". :D

mr.bee
Jul 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
Does anyone else suspects this 'delivery date' (or supply chain?) is just another marketing tool of Apple.

'look it takes long to get one, it MUST be high in demand'

davidgnomo
Jul 13, 2012, 03:41 AM
Here in Italy the shipping estimates went down only for the 2.7/16/512 which is exactly the specs I'm looking for ... the time has come !!!

daviesap
Jul 13, 2012, 03:52 AM
In UK shipping estimates are still 3-4 weeks, except for the 16GB model which I personally think is worth going for.

If we didn't have a massive Corporation Tax bill looming I'd have had my order in by now.

itsamacthing
Jul 13, 2012, 03:57 AM
Yea, i noticed that 2-3 week change in the Thai store today, but then I started to add upgrades like memory and flash storage and the shipping times went right back up to 3-4 weeks.

:roll eyes: I am curious tho, why wouldn't they add an option for "tested screen" ... following the screengate that is going down, no way I'm spending all that money and "maybe" my screen will be ok. Testing it for yellow, to see if the color is even all the way across... since when was it so complicated to buy a mac? And since when did we have to test so much within 14 days?

SMacDuff
Jul 13, 2012, 04:04 AM

To answer your statement, I ordered online and am waiting about 5 weeks (Ordered July 2, delivered August 6-10) because none of the Authrorised Apple Resellers here in Stockholm have the rMBP in stock NOR do they offer the education discount which made my purchase much cheaper. Not everyone has an Apple Store close to them.

huntermaclean
Jul 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
If you live in the APAC region, you'll probably get it sooner. My rMBP was estimated at 3-4 weeks and I got it in 2 weeks; only 1 day after it shipped out of Shanghai.

golf1410
Jul 13, 2012, 04:10 AM
Yea, i noticed that 2-3 week change in the Thai store today, but then I started to add upgrades like memory and flash storage and the shipping times went right back up to 3-4 weeks.

:roll eyes: I am curious tho, why wouldn't they add an option for "tested screen" ... following the screengate that is going down, no way I'm spending all that money and "maybe" my screen will be ok. Testing it for yellow, to see if the color is even all the way across... since when was it so complicated to buy a mac? And since when did we have to test so much within 14 days?

You think too much. Just buy one and enjoy. If you have a problem, apple care department can replace it for a new one. Apple has the best service in the world.

Schizoid
Jul 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
It would be interesting to know how people are getting on with their new MBPRs... there was a lot of talk initially of dodgy displays etc... everyone generally happy with theirs?

JoJo Zzang
Jul 13, 2012, 04:25 AM

Even if I get down voted, I agree (with the non-upgradable part). While I applaud Apple for producing the retina display on the MBP, I honestly wish they waited for Haswell and etc. Next year will be the year to purchase a retina Mac.

This is just a excellent example of pushing the envelope before hardware can support display in full. The price tag is a hefty tax for early adoption. I suspect a flood of retina Macs come next year on Craigslist/Ebay so people can get what the laptop should be.

As for me? I opted once again for the regular high end 2012 15" MBP. I have a sad feeling this may very well be the last we see this breed. I support design, but when it comes at the cost of not being to upgrade on your own that makes me second guess a purchase. At least allow the community of Apple users to upgrade the RAM and etc...

I don't want to hear, "well, just purchase it with it upgraded." Why pay more for when you get it done for less? Why limit get what you need now - and upgrade when you need it? I truly hope that Apple allows a few design changes to allow some form of user customization next year. If so, then Apple I will be more than happy to throw my money at you. Until then - I am sticking with the old and boring (sarcasm of course) 15" MBP. :apple:

Jynto
Jul 13, 2012, 04:26 AM

The powers that be decided to remove them because they create a 'negative atmosphere'. Now if you want to express a negative thought on this forum, you have actually flame someone in your reply. Much better, isn't it? :rolleyes:

MuppetGate
Jul 13, 2012, 04:32 AM
Does anyone else suspects this 'delivery date' (or supply chain?) is just another marketing tool of Apple.

No, I think they're still having problems with screen yields.

Lancer
Jul 13, 2012, 04:33 AM
I just hope I don't have to wait as long for my new iMac in a few weeks :p

egraphixstudios
Jul 13, 2012, 04:42 AM
UK still 3-4 weeks..

lukarak
Jul 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
The powers that be decided to remove them because they create a 'negative atmosphere'. Now if you want to express a negative thought on this forum, you have actually flame someone in your reply. Much better, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Or, alternatively, you can just upvote everybody else. So it's the same thing.

Jbach67
Jul 13, 2012, 05:35 AM
Exactly. The best deal you can get right now is on Amazon for the 2.7/512/8 model for $2659.99 without paying sales tax (which may vary according to your location). That same config from Apple.com costs $3354.28 after CA sales tax.

IMHO, for a first generation rMBP, it'd be wise to not opt for the tricked out model (2.7/768/16) unless you absolutely need it as component prices will inevitably drop and more advanced GPUs capable of keeping up with the Retina Display at 60fps become available in a year or two.

Surprised this site frowns on piracy but not tax evasion. But I digress. More relevant to your point, if you are looking for a lower price for a tricked out model, why buy one less likely to fit your needs now when you can wait a year..or two. You know you probably will not be able to upgrade ram or ssd on this years model.

itsamacthing
Jul 13, 2012, 05:47 AM
If I was home in the states I might go for it...but I'm in Thailand and while Apple will take care of me it's just not as easy and I don't' have time for that. I'm a busy executive and the reason I buy Apple is so I don't have to worry about these kinds of problems. I can't afford downtime or troubleshooting time. I had a horrible time 6 years ago when I got the first gen Intel MBP, it got replaced 2 times and that 2nd replacement is still running just fine...in fact, it runs Lion. I think the move to Intel was very different than the move to Retina display, but there are definitely some very public tech issues going on that I don't have time for. Hopefully in the next month or 2, they will have worked all that out.. if not, then looks like i'm waiting for Haswell.

You think too much. Just buy one and enjoy. If you have a problem, apple care department can replace it for a new one. Apple has the best service in the world.

G4DP
Jul 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
This is funny. They are advertising the rMBP on TV in the UK more than any other Apple product before. Then at the very end of the add, in a dark grey on a black background they have 'Limited Availability'.

They should have solved the screen yields before sending this to market. I am sure it is a stunning screen and the laptop works brilliantly. However, having known stock issues from the day of announcement is not acceptable these days.

They knew months ago when this was going to be released. Why not ramp up production in time to meet demand? Oh wait, more Apple hype.

Pentad
Jul 13, 2012, 06:10 AM
I don't know why anyone would wait 2-3 weeks when you could pick one up in store... ]

It could be because they don't want to be stuck with a puny 8 GB of RAM, limited SSD space, or a weak CPU. Face it, the stock MBPr are pretty anemic compared to the BTO.

-P

Loge
Jul 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
UK has the following at 2-3 weeks -

2.7/8/512
2.7/16/512
2.6/16/512

All the 768 models are still at 3-4 weeks

gnasher729
Jul 13, 2012, 06:40 AM
The retina macbook is useless to me. I use my laptop connected to an external monitor. If I want to use something portable I have an iPad. What I really want to see is their monitor lineup become retina or a retina iMac. :p

Glad to know that you don't need one. So why are you posting in a thread about shipping times?

-10 downvote. Since the buttons are gone, I can actually down vote as often as I like :D

striker33
Jul 13, 2012, 06:46 AM
I've been waiting over 3 weeks for it to ship. What gives?

Thunderhawks
Jul 13, 2012, 06:48 AM

Think and you will figure it out!

This just in:

Reuter news:
---------------
Secret stack of 1 million rMBP's discovered in Cupertino warehouse!

mat25
Jul 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
I oredered mine last night and it says 3-4 weeks. Hope that changes!

gnasher729
Jul 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
I've been waiting over 3 weeks for it to ship. What gives?

The time given is always for people who order right now.

If I was home in the states I might go for it...but I'm in Thailand and while Apple will take care of me it's just not as easy and I don't' have time for that. I'm a busy executive and the reason I buy Apple is so I don't have to worry about these kinds of problems.

You're a busy executive posting on MacRumors :D

RalfTheDog
Jul 13, 2012, 07:19 AM

You guys all smell like a bunch of cats! Cats I say, yes, you all eat out of the litterbox!

[Just posting a bunch of silly stuff because, I CAN'T GET VOTED DOWN!!!!]

Post enhanced with the use of ALL CAPS! [Blinking text coming soon to a post near you!!!!!]

NewbieCanada
Jul 13, 2012, 07:34 AM

Why do it for this, a laptop that, popular as it may be, is a pretty insignificant part of their sales picture, compared to the iPhone and iPad. It's not like there are daily articles and TV news pieces about the scarcity of the rMBP and line-ups around the block.

Any marketing boost they could have had by creating an artificial scarcity was gone after the first week.

----------

Think and you will figure it out!

This just in:

Reuter news:
---------------
Secret stack of 1 million rMBP's discovered in Cupertino warehouse!

Turns out the weapons of mass destruction were really 1 million rMBPs in a cave, turned on and playing Diablo.

ovrlrd
Jul 13, 2012, 07:38 AM

Don't tell anyone but the GPU in the rMBP is already capable of 60fps for everything but the most intensive tasks.

Boiler
Jul 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
Surprised this site frowns on piracy but not tax evasion.

You might want to improve your vocabulary. Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and ethical. Buying from amazon or traveling to a lower tax state to purchase.

Tax evasion is not paying taxes legitimately due.
Tax Evasion and legally minimizing avoidable taxes are two completely different things which you confused.
Get your facts straight.

yg17
Jul 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
You might want to improve your vocabulary. Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and ethical. Buying from amazon or traveling to a lower tax state to purchase.

Tax evasion is not paying taxes legitimately due.
Tax Evasion and legally minimizing avoidable taxes are two completely different things which you confused.
Get your facts straight.

Actually it is illegal because you're supposed to pay use tax to your home state for goods purchased out-of-state.

Get your facts straight

camsoft
Jul 13, 2012, 07:59 AM
Slow news day?

orthorim
Jul 13, 2012, 08:04 AM

True in the USA, and - I am guessing - in all those places that have actual Apple stores.

In countries like Thailand where there's no official Apple store & only authorized dealers, it's a totally different story. For one reason or another - and I really don't know why - the dealers are very much resistant to returns, exchanges, or anything like that. Kind of the same as it was in the USA before Apple built their own stores (and I remember that time).

Apple service - depends on where you are. YMMV. They're obviously honoring the same warranties world-wide but the way they do that is very different.

----------

Slow news day?

One look at the "Macbook Pro 2012 Order Status thread" should tell you that this is a HOT TOPIC!! Closing in on 200 pages of responses!

People are fretting over shipment times, when their order will change to "shipped", when the thing will arrive once it's shipped, etc. What else are we going to do during the loooooooooooooooooooooong wait ;)

(1 month and still waiting here...)

rocanlover163
Jul 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
Would this speed up the orders of those who already have an order placed?

daleski75
Jul 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
About an hour ago the apple store in the uk stated a 2 to 3 week delivery time and now it's gone back to 3 to 4 weeks :confused:

Loge
Jul 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
About an hour ago the apple store in the uk stated a 2 to 3 week delivery time and now it's gone back to 3 to 4 weeks :confused:

Depends on the options you select - some still show 2-3 weeks.

9secondadidas
Jul 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
But I'm still waiting for the new wireless standard to be integrated. I just can't justify spending so much on a gadget that doesn't have every feature I want.

Hopefully by the end of the year.

daleski75
Jul 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Depends on the options you select - some still show 2-3 weeks.

Just quickly put in my BTO and it states 2 to 3 weeks so hopefully by Monday onwards I should see some movement in my order

autrefois
Jul 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
No, I think they're still having problems with screen yields.

Personally, I think they just ran out of glue for the battery.

:o

doobybiggs
Jul 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
I still can't get over $3.2K for a 15" laptop .... that just seems pretty crazy to me.

mr.steevo
Jul 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
I still can't get over $3.2K for a 15" laptop .... that just seems pretty crazy to me.

Me too.

But back in 1997 Apple's Powerbook's were running about the same price in Canada. Now THAT'S crazy.

s.

cvaldes
Jul 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Not as crazy as people buying bottled water (at least in my area).

The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission gets its water from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. It's one of the finest municipal water sources on the planet. You'd have to be pretty insane to buy bottled water on a regular basis if you've got Hetch Hetchy flowing from your tap.

I take showers in water that's purer than what 99.9% of the people in the USA can buy.

Buying bottled water is crazy. Most bottled water is tap water anyhow.

For that matter, eating at Taco Bell around here is crazy. The little mom-and-pop taquerias blow doors on Taco Bell (a brand by Louisville-based Yum Brands). Heck, you'd have to be crazy to eat big-chain fast food and spend the money on carbonated HFCS sweetened water.

:D

My point here is that different people put different priorities on different things in their lives.

KdParker
Jul 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hope that the can just change the display. I sure don't want to get back in line for a replacement.

----------

Would this speed up the orders of those who already have an order placed?

Not sure, but my came one week earlier than apple's estimate.

----------

If all you do is surf the web and check email, then maybe this is a little high.

But those of us that use them for work it is worth the cost.

doobybiggs
Jul 13, 2012, 09:40 AM

The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission gets its water from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. It's one of the finest municipal water sources on the planet. You'd have to be pretty insane to buy bottled water on a regular basis if you've got Hetch Hetchy flowing from your tap.

I take showers in water that's purer than what 99.9% of the people in the USA can buy.

For that matter, eating at Taco Bell around here is crazy. The little mom-and-pop taquerias blow doors on Taco Bell (a brand by Louisville-based Yum Brands). Heck, you'd have to be crazy to eat big-chain fast food and spend the money on carbonated HFCS sweetened water.

My point here is that different people put different priorities on different things in their lives.

true, I see your point .... but I would think something in the $3k plus category would be a desktop or a 17" beast of a desktop replacement.

gnasher729
Jul 13, 2012, 09:56 AM

Could be lots of people ordering. Say they get 1000 units in per week. And they had 2000 open orders. Then any new orders would be delivered in two to three weeks. If 1000 people then ordered, then they have 3000 open orders and have to change it to 3-4 weeks.

koolmagicguy
Jul 13, 2012, 09:58 AM

I'd be happy to buy you a 13" and sell it to you at that price. What's your credit card number and shipping address?

cmwade77
Jul 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
I just went to MacMall and bought one in their physical store near us yesterday, but they also have them available online.

----------

Huh? They have a 15" Retina for 2.3K with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD, so I am not sure where this 3.2K comes from. I guess if you get the 2.6GHz and max it out on RAM, you can hit the 3.2K, but really, that is probably overkill for most people.

l.w41sh
Jul 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
To bad it doesn't reduce my order time. That still says 3-4 weeks and the expected delivery is the same...

ChuckG
Jul 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Don't tell anyone but the GPU in the rMBP is already capable of 60fps for everything but the most intensive tasks.

And by intensive tasks you mean browsing the Facebook.

2012 rMBP= 21fps
2011 MBP=51fps

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/8

I'm curious to see how much Mountain Lion improves performance, though.

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I agree, but Apple has always made expensive laptops... very expensive ones...

Laird Knox
Jul 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Exactly. The best deal you can get right now is on Amazon for the 2.7/512/8 model for $2659.99 without paying sales tax (which may vary according to your location). That same config from Apple.com costs $3354.28 after CA sales tax.

CA charges 26% sales tax?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Fandongo
Jul 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Who the hell would spend $3k to be permanently be stuck in the world of 8GB Ram??

Their in-store options are F(#$ing stupid.

l.w41sh
Jul 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Who the hell would spend $3k to be permanently be stuck in the world of 8GB Ram??

Their in-store options are F(#$ing stupid.

I got 16GB :)

Doggonit
Jul 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Exactly. The best deal you can get right now is on Amazon for the 2.7/512/8 model for $2659.99 without paying sales tax (which may vary according to your location).

2.7? Not 2.6? And $2659.99? Link please!

l.w41sh
Jul 13, 2012, 12:23 PM

2.6!

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC976LL-15-4-Inch-Display/dp/B0074721BI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342200178&sr=8-2&keywords=macbook+pro+retina

$2799

2 left!!!!

Used is 2679...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0074721BI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

gekoo
Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
I entered my third week now but I still need to wait for 1-2 weeks more. And I live in japan. Those times don't apply too me :(

l.w41sh
Jul 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
I entered my third week now but I still need to wait for 1-2 weeks more. And I live in japan. Those times don't apply too me :(

I am about to hit 3 weeks.

ChuckG
Jul 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
CA charges 26% sales tax?! :eek: :rolleyes:

No, Apple charges 9.725% CA sales tax plus an $8.00 recycling fee. In addition to no sales tax, Amazon had a cheaper base price ($2,799.00 vs $2,659.99).

----------

Correction: it was the 2.6/512/8 model which is no longer available at that price from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074721BI

koolmagicguy
Jul 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Even if I get down voted, I agree (with the non-upgradable part)

Something tells me you won't get downvoted.

Laird Knox
Jul 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
No, Apple charges 9.725% CA sales tax plus an $8.00 recycling fee. In addition to no sales tax, Amazon had a cheaper base price ($2,799.00 vs $2,659.99).

That is more reasonable than the $3354.28 you posted.

Sir Al
Jul 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
I've been waiting for my rMBP for almost a month, and people who order now will get theirs in 2 weeks?? Bullocks!! :p

ChuckG
Jul 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
I've been waiting for my rMBP for almost a month, and people who order now will get theirs in 2 weeks?? Bullocks!! :p

Simple of matter of supply catching up with initial demand.

dank414
Jul 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
Exactly. The best deal you can get right now is on Amazon for the 2.6/512/8 model for $2659.99 without paying sales tax (which may vary according to your location). That same config from Apple.com costs $3,079.90 after CA sales tax.

Update: The above mentioned rMBP is no longer available at the quoted price from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074721BI/

I don't know if Amazon is the best deal. I just bought my rMBP for $2900 2.6/512/16gb @ ABT. I think best deals still needs to be shopped around and not just found on Amazon.

Fandongo
Jul 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
The retina macbook is useless to me. I use my laptop connected to an external monitor. If I want to use something portable I have an iPad.

Profound logic.
My macbook usually sits closed at my cinema display with ever port in use.
Pop it open now and then when I want to add a pathetic 15" to my work area.

MUST MAKE SMALL!
Sir, we could allow 32 gigs of ram in the fatbooks (certainly without the optical drive/in the 17") to let people really take advantage of CS6.
F*#* ADOBE!
and F#*# the 17"!!

- That's how it definitely went down.

Boiler
Jul 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
Actually it is illegal because you're supposed to pay use tax to your home state for goods purchased out-of-state.

Get your facts straight

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_tax#section_4

Woops, you're wrong again.

igneousc
Jul 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
I wish bestbuy.com would get more of them. this 1 week wait so far is killing me. I would have picked one up if I didn't have that huge gift card with them

AppleScruff1
Jul 13, 2012, 09:36 PM

I doubt they are selling millions of them in the first month. More likely the production is limited.

Fandongo
Jul 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
I got 16GB :)

I w41sh, I do wish I coulda dropped $4k on the maxed retina too!
Only, that's my computer and software budget... + $700 :eek:

Guess I'll double the weight if i can wait for the thunderbolt models of the ASUS G75 (32GB Ram/Blu-ray writer).

But like Apple, they gingerly throw around words like "July"
They should have had the Firewire adapter ready to ship July...2011

twoodcc
Jul 14, 2012, 02:32 AM
i'm still surprised to see it take this long. glad to see people really jumping on this new macbook pro.

golf1410
Jul 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
True in the USA, and - I am guessing - in all those places that have actual Apple stores.

In countries like Thailand where there's no official Apple store & only authorized dealers, it's a totally different story. For one reason or another - and I really don't know why - the dealers are very much resistant to returns, exchanges, or anything like that. Kind of the same as it was in the USA before Apple built their own stores (and I remember that time).

Apple service - depends on where you are. YMMV. They're obviously honoring the same warranties world-wide but the way they do that is very different.

No matter where you are. Apple provides world wide service. Even you are in Thailand but you can make a call all the way to USA and work out with them. I am pretty sure that they will be happy to help you out. If your local authorized dealers suck, then work out with Apple directly.

jbolden1517
Jul 14, 2012, 11:49 PM
Why not ramp up production in time to meet demand? Oh wait, more Apple hype.

Because the screen was totally custom. This is genuine state of the art construction. Pretty much when Apple figured out how to make a rMBP they made one and started selling them. The previous generations of retina screens beyond the size of the iPad were sold in 22-27 inch monitors that ran about $7k. Apple doesn't own a "make screens" magic wand. Your getting what the world is capable of producing.

G4DP
Jul 15, 2012, 01:08 AM
Because the screen was totally custom. This is genuine state of the art construction. Pretty much when Apple figured out how to make a rMBP they made one and started selling them. The previous generations of retina screens beyond the size of the iPad were sold in 22-27 inch monitors that ran about $7k. Apple doesn't own a "make screens" magic wand. Your getting what the world is capable of producing.

So they discovered the way to do it the week before they launched? I've seen some terrible excuses for Apple's screw up's but that is just stupid.

So your saying have no testing or QA procedures anymore?

Get real.

jbolden1517
Jul 15, 2012, 06:14 AM
So they discovered the way to do it the week before they launched? I've seen some terrible excuses for Apple's screw up's but that is just stupid.

So your saying have no testing or QA procedures anymore?

Get real.

Now they discovered probably about a year before launch. At which point they worked with parts manufacturers to make and refine the system you have. The finished products likely didn't start getting produced in a mass way until about May and since then they've been churning them out as fast as they can. This very common in the manufacturer or complex goods involving innovation, cars being the best documented example.

The reason it doesn't happen generally in computers is that computers have usually worked on a system where the parts are not custom to the system they are in, instead there is an open market and a shortage of a part expresses itself as a price surge for that part.

imaokay87
Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
I ordered mine when it said 3-4 weeks and I got it in less than 2 weeks!

gentlefury
Jul 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-for-the-first-time/)

For the first time since its launch just over one month ago, Apple's Retina MacBook Pro has begun to see improvements in shipping estimates for new orders placed through the company's online store. The improvement has appeared first in Apple's Asia-Pacific markets (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select), which have seen estimates move from 3-4 weeks to 2-3 weeks.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/retina_macbook_pro_ship_2_3_weeks_jul13.jpg)

Shipping estimates in Apple's other main distribution regions of the Americas and Europe/Middle East/Africa remain at 3-4 weeks, but it is likely they will see similar improvements in the near future.

While Apple announced the Retina MacBook Pro as immediately available on its debut day of June 11, shipping estimates quickly slipped to 2-3 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/) by the end of the day and reached 3-4 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/) roughly 24 hours later. Estimates have remained steady at 3-4 weeks since that time until today's improvement in the Asia-Pacific channel.

Update: The improved 2-3 week estimates have now spread to the Americas and are beginning to filter into a number of European stores.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Improving for the First Time (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-improving-for-the-first-time/)

My estimated shipping date is still the same...so does that mean that people that ordered theirs today will get it before I do...ordering it almost 2 weeks ago?

blythee
Jul 15, 2012, 04:14 PM

I ordered mine the 29th of June and it said 3-4 weeks in the United States. When did you order yours?

----------

I did as well and very anxious to when I will recieve mine. I order in the USA on June 27th when it said 3-4 weeks.

Ships: 3 - 4 Weeks
Delivers Jul 26 - Aug 1 via Standard Shipping

I am curious as to when you ordered yours.

fiveainone
Jul 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Got mine this morning, which is about a week ahead of scheduled delivery. :cool::):)

Casey MAC
Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Call me when it says "Ships: 2 - 3 days"
That wont be a problem I’m sure, the magic of retina is quickly wearing away, there are already many users describing buyers remorse for the new fad and the frustration of not being able to upgrade hardware or have a dvd drive. you will see mbp shipping times close dramaticaly over the next few weeks.