PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Verizon Galaxy S3 and Incredible 4G support simultaneous voice and data over 3G

Reaper0bot0
Jul 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello, all!

The last time I started a thread, it was about the fact that the HTC Rezound and Thunderbolt support SVDO, which due to the effectively redundant radios in those two phones, allows them hold a phone call whilst using the data connection over EV/DO (aka 3G). Several folks posted as if I had rather taken leave of my senses. I hadn't.

The Incredible 4G and the Galaxy S3 can be forced onto 3G, which I have done. I then made a test call, left it on speakerphone, and browsed to several different websites and downloaded some small apps. Both worked just fine. Apparently the S4 processor (which both phones use, and is an all-in-one that includes the cellular radios as well) supports SVDO.

I wonder if other manufacturers will implement this as well. It's a nice feature to have.

MattMJB0188
Jul 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Who wants to be on a CDMA network anyway??? Way too many limitations, such as this.

Reaper0bot0
Jul 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Uh.....given that four phones can do it......is it really a limitation anymore?

MattMJB0188
Jul 13, 2012, 11:32 AM

Pretty much hahaha. Why just not switch to AT&T or T-Mobile??? It's a much better experience.

305rob305
Jul 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
I was with Verizon for a few years and I hated CDMA. Switching from LTE and CDMA doesn't work.... Too many hiccups! Now I'm with AT&T with my S3 and couldn't be happier. I've noticed many apps crash with my S3 but found in the forums is a known issue which I hope we get a fix but that's another topic

Intell
Jul 13, 2012, 11:44 AM

Few people have one of those four out of Verizon's 90(?) million people. SVDO is also very draining of the battery because of how it works. Then there's the problem of one of Verizon's older towers kicking you off for not correctly understanding what SVDO is.

batting1000
Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
My 4S does it. What's your point?

Reaper0bot0
Jul 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
No, if it is a CDMA 4S, it does not support a phone call and data over EV/DO at the same time. It will only do so over wifi.

kalex
Jul 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
My 4S does it. What's your point?

Yours 4S (CDMA) does NOT do it

blackhand1001
Jul 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Cdma holds onto calls while traveling and in weak areas much better than GSM. This is because of soft handshake with the towers. Gsm has a hard handshake and if the signal is lost it will drop the call. This makes switching between towers and weak signal areas perform better. Cdma can also handle more concurrent connections off one tower than GSM. This is one of the main reasons why Verizon has better coverage in urban areas. However, the iPhones cdma radio is pretty poor in comparison to motorola, HTC, and some Samsung phones.

lordofthereef
Jul 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Too little too late IMO. Let Verizon focus on blanketing their coverage map with 4G LTE.

Zaft
Jul 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Pretty much hahaha. Why just not switch to AT&T or T-Mobile??? It's a much better experience.

verizon has like 4x the LTE coverage...

batting1000
Jul 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yours 4S (CDMA) does NOT do it

Edit: Gotcha

Intell
Jul 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
I guess I was dreaming when I did it last. I'm pretty sure I can be in a phone call, exit out of it, do stuff in Safari or whatever while still talking, then tap the green status bar overlay to go back to the call. What am I missing?

WiFi. The Verizon 4S can do that only when it is connected to a WiFi network.

The iGentleman
Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 PM

AT&T's on-call data is TERRIBLE. The download speed is only approx 1 meg and with a very high ping. The upload is virtually non-existent at 20k. AT&T throttles EVERYONE'S data during phone calls.

Intell
Jul 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
AT&T's on-call data is TERRIBLE. The download speed is only approx 1 meg and with a very high ping. The upload is virtually non-existent at 20k. AT&T throttles EVERYONE'S data during phone calls.

I've had very good 3G speeds while on calls. Often around 4Mbps down. Sometimes making a call makes my data go faster.

The iGentleman
Jul 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
I've had very good 3G speeds while on calls. Often around 4Mbps down. Sometimes making a call makes my data go faster.

Show a screenshot of it. I'd love to see it. In the meantime, here's an article that talks about it.
http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/spectrum-shortage/throttling/sbwire-130396.htm

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
Next time I'm on a call and in need of mobile data I will. However I rarely make calls anymore.

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
Next time I'm on a call and in need of mobile data I will. However I rarely make calls anymore.

Can't just get on a call and take a screenshot real quick? I'd love to see how it is you're somehow bypassing AT&T's network settings and getting 4 megs during a call.

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
Me calling my voicemail. How boring.

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 12:28 AM
Me calling my voicemail. How boring.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Could you show the page with the actual result (after you tapped on the result).

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
This?

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 12:58 AM
This?

Right, but I want to see that page for the speedtest you posted earlier, not a new one.

aziatiklover
Jul 14, 2012, 12:58 AM
CDMA carriers! Welcome to 2008!

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
This one?

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 06:08 AM
This one?

Where are you located?

cynics
Jul 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
CDMA has it perks but I feel they are outweighed by GSM. I have Verizon cause they have better voice coverage in my area then AT&T which is a priority to me.

Jb07
Jul 14, 2012, 09:39 AM

Because AT&T and T-Mobile might not cover his area? I would say both AT&T and T-Mobile are the worst providers. I've had numerous dropped calls on AT&T and never get more than 2-3 bars at my house, and sometimes I even get slowed down to EDGE. I used to have T-Mobile and that was the worst experience ever.
So I'm switching to Verizon in October.

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Pittsburgh.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 14, 2012, 03:58 PM

If you aren't making calls, AT&T is fine. I could no longer cope with having to re-dial into a conference call 4times in the course of an hour due to cell tower drops here in Chicago.

I've not had a single dropped call since switching to Verizon. The lack of simultaneous voice/data was acceptable to me just to have solid connections from both.

That said, I'm looking forward to the LTE enabled iPhone to bring this capability back.

----------

This?

The way GSM works you really need to have a constant audio stream on the voice call (2-ways) while running speed test or you get borked results. Call Movietime or something while running it.

Intell
Jul 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
The way GSM works you really need to have a constant audio stream on the voice call (2-ways) while running speed test or you get borked results. Call Movietime or something while running it.

Pretty sure the hold music for the place I work is good enough. My voicemail kept kicking me off due to lack of button pushing.

tremlock
Jul 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
Same goes for the S3 on Sprint. Voice and data work simultaneously