PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd SACD rips Problem In iTunes

KRB24
Jul 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
I have a SACD 5.1 rip of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. I converted the FLAC files to ALAC successfully using XLD. iTunes won't allow me to add these files to my library. The files play fine in Quicktime. Why won't iTunes let me add them? Is there a way to do it? Thanks!

Edit: The 24 bit/96000 flac files are being converted to 44000 in alac. I have the setting set to same as original in XLD. Why are these 96000 khz files being converted to 44000 khz in alac? On top of that, I can't add these files to itunes.

Destroysall
Jul 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
I would think you should convert them to AIFF first, then to Apple Lossless.

Another thing to try if you enjoy using iTunes is an app called BitPerfect, which allows for FLAC files.

PAPO
Jul 14, 2012, 02:41 AM
how did you rip the SACD's 'cause I'd like to rip mine for archiving/ portability

KRB24
Jul 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
how did you rip the SACD's 'cause I'd like to rip mine for archiving/ portability

My friend did it with a ps3. Not sure of the details. I just know it's complicated.

PAPO
Jul 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
damn, I was hoping it would be simpler than that, but I cbf sitting and ripping through normal playback

KRB24
Jul 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
Is it a limitation of ALAC to not handle anything above 44 khz or 6 channels? I tried converting the FLAC file to AIFF then convert that to ALAC. No luck. I keep getting a 44 khz file instead of a 96 khz, and I still can't add it to iTunes.

KRB24
Jul 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
This person seems to be having the same problem I am:

https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2011-March/000010.html

garybUK
Jul 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
I just converted some 24/96 sacd rips into alac, I used xact from flac-> aiff, imported to iTunes then made a alac version

KRB24
Jul 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
I just converted some 24/96 sacd rips into alac, I used xact from flac-> aiff, imported to iTunes then made a alac version

I tried it, it's not working for me. I tried adding the AIFF to iTunes, and it added, however it was unplayable. I then tried to create an Apple Lossless file and it said unknown error occurred and was unable to. Are your SACD FLAC files encoded with 6 channels? I feel like the 5.1 is throwing it off.

bwhli
Jul 15, 2012, 10:26 AM
I tried it, it's not working for me. I tried adding the AIFF to iTunes, and it added, however it was unplayable. I then tried to create an Apple Lossless file and it said unknown error occurred and was unable to. Are your SACD FLAC files encoded with 6 channels? I feel like the 5.1 is throwing it off.

Create a stereo mixdown, and try to add it to iTunes. If that works, it probably means iTunes doesn't support 5.1. From what I recall, iTunes can only plays movies in surround sound. Music is restricted to stereo.