Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
hi....I thought i'd report this strange finding...I was able to do Facetime from USA on wi-fi ipad to someone in Tokyo on 3g iphone 4 NOT CONNECTED to wi-fi, not jailbroken, and it worked fine?!---his iphone 4 is not running ios6 either....I know this is supposed to be possible in ios6, but is it possible Softbank the Japanese cell provider already activated it or something?

Thanks!

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
hi....I thought i'd report this strange finding...I was able to do Facetime from USA on wi-fi ipad to someone in Tokyo on 3g iphone 4 NOT CONNECTED to wi-fi, not jailbroken, and it worked fine?!---his iphone 4 is not running ios6 either....I know this is supposed to be possible in ios6, but is it possible Softbank the Japanese cell provider already activated it or something?

Thanks!

Not sure if you're trolling, but you said it was a WiFi iPad. The only way your iPad can access the internet, not to mention even access facetime is to connect to Wifi. I wonder how did your new 'Wifi iPad' magically got 3G?

And are you sure the person you're calling is not connected to Wifi? I'm quite curious how you say he isn't unless he confirmed it himself.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Not sure if you're trolling, but you said it was a WiFi iPad. The only way your iPad can access the internet, not to mention even access facetime is to connect to Wifi. I wonder how did your new 'Wifi iPad' magically got 3G?

And are you sure the person you're calling is not connected to Wifi? I'm quite curious how you say he isn't unless he confirmed it himself.

Not defending his claim, however awesome that would be on an iPhone 4, but he said his friend he was FaceTiming with had an iPhone 4 using FaceTime on 3G, NOT his iPad but the iPhone on the other end of the call.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

Thanks!

I realised this a few days back and since then, almost every call to anyone with an iOS device is a video call. So easy to do , great quality and it's actually replacing the phone call for me, which is something I never thought a video call would do. Very impressed. I'm in the UK on Orange btw.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
what?

Trolling? I posted this because I found it odd that this was working..that's IT...i did confirm with the person on the iphone 4 in Japan that wifi was NOT CONNECTED and they were indeed on 3g...like I said, I was on an ipad on wifi (ios 5), and he was on an iphone 4 on 3g (ios 4.xx i think), and somehow facetime was working...I have no idea how, since it's not supposed to

sorry if it was unclear, or I had over-estimated basic reading comprehension. :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Although at first I was sceptical its true FaceTime over 3G on ios5 seems to be working :s

hasa619

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Sydney, NSW
7570839926_a0e0a4c35e.jpg
[/url]
3G by hasa_casa, on Flickr[/IMG]

Only iOS 6 beta 1,2 have this feature correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use FaceTime over 3G you need to have this to enable it.

Last edited:

rnbgrilla

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012

Looks like you read the story wrong, try re-read it

lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2011
Must not be coming to iPhone 4 - tried facetime over 3G and it did not work, and am also not given the toggle option under cellular to turn it on.

Last edited:

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Nope, don't believe you, sorry. How is a non-jailbroken iP4 running iOS 5 supposed to magically get 3G FaceTime? He must be jailbroken and didn't tell you.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
i didn't believe it either...the only way i'm thinking it's possible is if the 3g facetime WAS carrier-controlled after-all...i had read that it was enabled at the OS level awhile ago by Apple but carriers like AT&T didn't want it enabled due to the strain on their network....isn't it possible that this Japanese carrier Softbank doesn't have such a block on it like AT&T does?

anyways, i was just reporting these odd results to see if anyone else had experienced this...maybe if we could hear from somebody else in Japan it would help.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.