PDA

View Full Version : My First Mac Mini: A Little Box Of Cheap Goodness (Mac360)

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2005, 08:56 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: My First Mac Mini: A Little Box Of Cheap Goodness (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050728095643)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

tpatricks
Jul 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
I can't fault anyone, including her, for wanting to set up an inexpensive yet capable server for playing around with PHP and MySQL-based applications.

However, I do worry about those laptop hard drives running all the time. My aluminum PowerBook's hard drive just died; about 2 1/2 years after purchase. Granted, I pretty much left the machine running all the time, and, yes, I was already looking for something bigger than the paltry 60 gig original hard drive, but that PB didn't get server usage, either.

I read about a hosting service that rack mounted Mac mini's. The photo of all those mini's in a rack looked cool, but I remain concerned about the basic issues of hard drive life, heat and the effects of both on reliability and life span of the machines.

Still $499 is attractive for a little server that does email, web serving, database, et al. It's surprisingly easy even for nubees to get that power up and running...

outerspaceapple
Jul 28, 2005, 12:04 PM
How did this make it on macbytes? I mean... I've done all this stuff on my TiBook like 3 years ago. The mac mini is cool, but come on dude, you could use any old G3 tower to do the same thing for much cheaper.

pulsewidth947
Jul 28, 2005, 12:25 PM
The mac mini is cool, but come on dude, you could use any old G3 tower to do the same thing for much cheaper.
But you dont get the compactness of the Mac Mini. Running headless, you can hide away the Mini just about anywhere. With a G3 tower you're gonna need a drawer unit or something.

They are really low power as well, and quiet. Not sure how much that compares with old towers.

jchen
Jul 28, 2005, 02:22 PM
But you dont get the compactness of the Mac Mini. Running headless, you can hide away the Mini just about anywhere. With a G3 tower you're gonna need a drawer unit or something.

They are really low power as well, and quiet. Not sure how much that compares with old towers.

I didn't realize you could do all that database and dev stuff on a mini. No reason why not; just didn't think about it. I have a very old PowerMac G4 that's making sounds so bad I'm afraid to turn it off for fear it won't come back on. A CPU upgrade and hard drive would cost more than a new mini. It's time to do a little shopping.

Peyote
Jul 28, 2005, 02:29 PM

I think his point was not about the hardware used or promoted, but just the fact that this is an article by someone who is doing something that many others have already done. Nothing new here...move along. So what if you describe how to do it on a mini? How's that any different from any other machine? No offense to Alexis...the article was well written...it's just common and easil obtainable "how-to" knowledge. At least she didn't completely distort the article's title to increase readership as is the ususal case on Mac360....even though the title of this article was pretty vague.

mfeldman
Jul 28, 2005, 03:04 PM
I think his point was not about the hardware used or promoted, but just the fact that this is an article by someone who is doing something that many others have already done. Nothing new here...move along. So what if you describe how to do it on a mini? How's that any different from any other machine? No offense to Alexis...the article was well written...it's just common and easil obtainable "how-to" knowledge. At least she didn't completely distort the article's title to increase readership as is the ususal case on Mac360....even though the title of this article was pretty vague.

That elitist and snobbish response notwithstanding, the real whole point of the article was that it is now quite easy for Mac users to get involved in the whole PHP and MySQL application scene with simple point and click and at an affordable price point. True, for some who are more technically inclined and have the experience, they may have done just that years ago. So what? Before you did it on a Mac years ago, others were doing similar powerful applications on Linux and Unix variants using CLI. Does that make you less 'cool' than them? The point is that this relatively complex power has migrated down to mere mortals like the rest of us. For every poster like you who demonstrates an elitist mentality based on 'been there, done that,' there are many, many more of us who want to know exactly how to do such things, read MacRumors, and look for informative topics. Petty criticisms and a holier-than-thou attitude are exactly what get some Mac users branded as zealots by the Windoze minions. Remarkably, there are many of us longtime Mac users who don't know as much as you, read the forums and check the links, but don't engage much in the pseudo-critical banter. If you've 'been there and done that' why not share a bit of your experience and tell the rest of us (there are more of us than you) what we can do to make the Mac mini even more of a value? If you can. It took a somewhat less than experienced Mac user, and a "woman" at that, to do something you failed to do. Inform.

Peyote
Jul 28, 2005, 03:17 PM
That elitist and snobbish response notwithstanding, the real whole point of the article was that it is now quite easy for Mac users to get involved in the whole PHP and MySQL application scene with simple point and click and at an affordable price point. True, for some who are more technically inclined and have the experience, they may have done just that years ago. So what? Before you did it on a Mac years ago, others were doing similar powerful applications on Linux and Unix variants using CLI. Does that make you less 'cool' than them? The point is that this relatively complex power has migrated down to mere mortals like the rest of us. For every poster like you who demonstrates an elitist mentality based on 'been there, done that,' there are many, many more of us who want to know exactly how to do such things, read MacRumors, and look for informative topics. Petty criticisms and a holier-than-thou attitude are exactly what get some Mac users branded as zealots by the Windoze minions. Remarkably, there are many of us longtime Mac users who don't know as much as you, read the forums and check the links, but don't engage much in the pseudo-critical banter. If you've 'been there and done that' why not share a bit of your experience and tell the rest of us (there are more of us than you) what we can do to make the Mac mini even more of a value? If you can. It took a somewhat less than experienced Mac user, and a "woman" at that, to do something you failed to do. Inform.

Wow, gosh, I just don't know what to say. How about, first of all, if you want to find out how to set up a webserver on your mac, you do a simple google search. People have been doing it for years, and there is plenty of info out there about it. If you find so much value in heaing about what the mini can do, as I do, I think a much more useful article would be to explore the possibilites of the mini...not a tutorial on one aspect of what it can do...an aspect that is in no way limited to the mini.

My point isn't that this type of article is "beneath me" as you seem to think. My point is that information like this is a dime a dozen, and why Mac360 is writing a feature on it, and why that feature is being linked to by MacBytes, is beyond me. Calm down, smoke one if you got one, and take it easy...you'll enjoy life a lot more.

mfeldman
Jul 28, 2005, 03:36 PM
Wow, gosh, I just don't know what to say. How about, first of all, if you want to find out how to set up a webserver on your mac, you do a simple google search. People have been doing it for years, and there is plenty of info out there about it. If you find so much value in heaing about what the mini can do, as I do, I think a much more useful article would be to explore the possibilites of the mini...not a tutorial on one aspect of what it can do...an aspect that is in no way limited to the mini.

My point isn't that this type of article is "beneath me" as you seem to think. My point is that information like this is a dime a dozen, and why Mac360 is writing a feature on it, and why that feature is being linked to by MacBytes, is beyond me. Calm down, smoke one if you got one, and take it easy...you'll enjoy life a lot more.

I've done the Google searches, picked up books, read forums, and read articles on Mac web sites. Those actions are probably repeated by tens of thousands of loyal, longtime Mac users. As with most Mac users, I've never set up my Mac (now on Tiger) to run as a web server using some of the more 'sophisticated' (to us, the unwashed Mac user masses) database applications, though I want to. I'm OK with the fact that you think it's a trivial act to do so. That young lady (assumption on my part) made it look easy (which you seem to think it is), so I'll probably give it a try, but not because of your knowledge and experience. All you've done is criticize something that many others find useful, beneficial, and worthwhile. What? "A Mac can do more than word process and iTunes. Here, try this..." That information is a "dime a dozen" is it? To you, maybe. Not to me and not to many others who are Mac users. Your only response is silly backpedaling and bringing up other non-issues, like, "...I think a much more useful article would be to explore the possibilites of the mini...not a tutorial on one aspect of what it can do..." Looks to me like someone's explored other possiblities of the mini, and found a good way to share. Thanks to MacBytes for pointing out something beneficial to the 'rest of us.' You're munching your gums because your thong's in a wad, bud. If you can do better than a woman (even if she's years behind you in Mac knowledge and experience) at showing the rest of us how to make better use of our Macs, great. My gut feel is that you can't. To paraphrase, 'those who can, do. Those who can't, grumble about others who do.' Oh, and yes, I'm enjoying life greatly. I'm a Mac user. You sir, should try to be one, too.

Peyote
Jul 28, 2005, 04:19 PM
I've done the Google searches, picked up books, read forums, and read articles on Mac web sites. Those actions are probably repeated by tens of thousands of loyal, longtime Mac users. As with most Mac users, I've never set up my Mac (now on Tiger) to run as a web server using some of the more 'sophisticated' (to us, the unwashed Mac user masses) database applications, though I want to. I'm OK with the fact that you think it's a trivial act to do so. That young lady (assumption on my part) made it look easy (which you seem to think it is), so I'll probably give it a try, but not because of your knowledge and experience. All you've done is criticize something that many others find useful, beneficial, and worthwhile. What? "A Mac can do more than word process and iTunes. Here, try this..." That information is a "dime a dozen" is it? To you, maybe. Not to me and not to many others who are Mac users. Your only response is silly backpedaling and bringing up other non-issues, like, "...I think a much more useful article would be to explore the possibilites of the mini...not a tutorial on one aspect of what it can do..." Looks to me like someone's explored other possiblities of the mini, and found a good way to share. Thanks to MacBytes for pointing out something beneficial to the 'rest of us.' You're munching your gums because your thong's in a wad, bud. If you can do better than a woman (even if she's years behind you in Mac knowledge and experience) at showing the rest of us how to make better use of our Macs, great. My gut feel is that you can't. To paraphrase, 'those who can, do. Those who can't, grumble about others who do.' Oh, and yes, I'm enjoying life greatly. I'm a Mac user. You sir, should try to be one, too.

I'm not going to let you tempt me into a flame war, and unlike you, I'm going to keep my response from including personal attacks. I've tried to maintain a level of civility here, but you seem happy to resort to the types of statements in this last post, so This post will be my last on this matter...have the last word if you want, but after this I'm dropping it. I've got better things to do with my time. There are so many things in your response that are IMHO misguided or just incorrect, I will try to address some of them.

you say: "Your only response is silly backpedaling and bringing up other non-issues, like, "...I think a much more useful article would be to explore the possibilites of the mini...not a tutorial on one aspect of what it can do..."

How is this a non-issue? I'm telling you that your response to my original post was completely out-of-line, because I wasn't even saying the thing that you were accusing me of...and I'm being NICE about it, something you obviously can't handle. I'm telling you in that statement why I criticized the article...which is what you had a problem with...my criticism. If you want to have an arguement with someone, and dictate to them what they should be arguing with you about, you've got the wrong person.

You say: "I'm OK with the fact that you think it's a trivial act to do so."

Ok, I'm only going to say this one more time....I don't think it's trivial, and I don't think it's beneath me...I think it is commonly available knowledge. If you want to learn how to do something such as this, there are a ton of resources.

you say, "You're munching your gums because your thong's in a wad, bud."

Ummm...do you realize how hypocritical you sound? I have been nothing bu calm throughout this thread and then you make an rude, inflammatory statement about how I'm upset about something?

I was really tempted to not even post a response to your latest post, but I'm not going to sit here and be attacked for nothing. When I do somethig wrong, I'm the first to own up to it, but I am not convinced I did anything wrong, and your reaction to my posts speaks volumes about you as a person, even if I did do something. I'm done with this thread. God bless you and keep you safe.

EDIT: one other point I'd like to make...I'm a guy, but I find it really offense that you refer to the author of the article as woman, in the context of her abilites to achieve something.

Your words: "It took a somewhat less than experienced Mac user, and a "woman" at that, to do something you failed to do." AND: "If you can do better than a woman...at showing the rest of us how to make better use of our Macs..."

What exactly does being a woman have to do with ANYTHING? It just blows my mind that that is somehow a factor for you at all.

jchen
Jul 28, 2005, 04:42 PM
What exactly does being a woman have to do with ANYTHING? It just blows my mind that that is somehow a factor for you at all.

There probably are not many women who put up their own web servers, even using a Mac. Nice to see it.

You go girl!!!

:p

tpatricks
Jul 28, 2005, 04:50 PM
:) Everyone stares at the peyote in the woods; sobbing...

I'm not going to let you tempt me into a flame war...blah blah blah... just blows my mind that that is somehow a factor for you at all.

Douche' :rolleyes: and kudos to all the girls for making their Macs do more. It's good to see a little recognition from the guys. Even if it is a little.

Peyote
Jul 28, 2005, 04:58 PM
:) Everyone stares at the peyote in the woods; sobbing...

Douche' :rolleyes: and kudos to all the girls for making their Macs do more. It's good to see a little recognition from the guys. Even if it is a little.

Wow, from a female no less! I agree, recognition is great, and I commend Alexis for doing something that most females don't try to do..but "recognition" wasn't what I was referring to, it was the items I quoted, which had more to do with trying to degrade me in comparison to a "woman." Though I'm not suprised by your response...it is your site after all LOL :D

And wow...calling one of your readers a Douche is a surefire way to increase your readership, right!? Well if maintaining composure under fire is a sign of weakness as you seem to think, you're welcome to your opinion. I've never put much stock into what you've written anyway. :p

gekko513
Jul 28, 2005, 11:13 PM
I don't get why it should not make it as a link on macbytes. It is a very well written introductional article for setting up your Mac as a server. I have set up Postfix manually on a Linux server and it was a pain. If I ever decide to set up one of my Macs as a server I will take a look at that article again to find the tools they mention to make the process a lot easier.

It's a good Tips / How to article. Just because a few people already know how to do this, doesn't make it less interesting to a lot of other people.

Panoctopi
Jul 29, 2005, 10:15 AM
Wow,
it's taken this long for someone to find redundancy at macbytes or any other mac news compilation site! Sure someone can google anything but there's probably plenty of people that found that article useful, otherwise there's always the option of not clicking on the link and moving in life.