PDA

View Full Version : Henrico moves $50 Apple iBook sale to Richmond International...

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2005, 08:58 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Henrico moves $50 Apple iBook sale to Richmond International Raceway due overwhelming demand (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050728095830)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Raiden
Jul 28, 2005, 09:11 AM
Anyone still going? I was planning on going with my dad and cousin at 4am to be first in line...

Though they say no waiting before 7 or no parking before 7, thats ********. People will be camping out there. I intend to get there at 4am with a 24oz cup of 7-11 coffee and my ipod and wait 5 hours.

KREX725
Jul 28, 2005, 09:16 AM
I still can't believe they're letting these go so cheap. Just shows the continued stupidity on their part. Well, let their stupidity be a Mac user's windfall!

Freg3000
Jul 28, 2005, 09:25 AM
It would be a good 7 hour drive to VA from NY, and I would only do that if I were completely sure I'd get one. But it is hard to gauge how many people will be there, lining up early, pushing and shoving to the front...after all, these are Mac users. :)

$50 is completely ridiculous, the value is amazing.

mainstreetmark
Jul 28, 2005, 09:38 AM
You'd think somewhere in the K through 12th grade classes they offer, they'd teach the "Supply and Demand" economic law. Raise the price until the demand equals the supply! At $50, obviously the demand is overwhelming.

mkubal
Jul 28, 2005, 10:23 AM
You'd think somewhere in the K through 12th grade classes they offer, they'd teach the "Supply and Demand" economic law. Raise the price until the demand equals the supply! At $50, obviously the demand is overwhelming.

Agreed. These could easily be sold at four times the price, perhaps more. Maybe not as quickly, but they'd certainly all go.

zelmo
Jul 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm just north of Baltimore, fairly close to Richmond. For me, it's a 350 mile round trip which will burn up 18 gallons of gas in my V-8 Tundra (about $50). So now that $50 laptop is $100. Still a good deal so far.
Of course, the travel time is about 3.5 hours each way, I'd probably have to get there at least by 4.00am to even have a prayer of getting one of these things, and I'lll stand in line for a couple hours. Schedule:
take a day off work (8 hrs. vacation pay)
go to sleep around 7.00p Monday night to get up at midnight
drive 3.5 hours, get there and in line by 3.30a
stand in line for another 5.5 hrs., until 9.00a
maybe spend an hour or two waiting patiently for my turn to buy an iBook
leave 11-ish, drive 3.5 hrs to get home around 2.30p
smile at iBook, plug in to charge
crash

$100
lost vacation day
bad nights' sleep
14+ hours invested time

How much are these going for on eBay these days? Somehow this doesn't strike me as a great deal unless you live within an hour of the Speedway.

outerspaceapple
Jul 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
i'd do it, but i'm way, way farther away from that raceway than would be feasible

Heb1228
Jul 28, 2005, 12:17 PM
When they say they aren't opening the gates, I think they mean the gates to the race track, which means no, there really won't be any standing in line before 7. And there really won't be any camping out. You'll be locked outside of the gate and you know they are not going to let a line of cars form either.

This really is ridiculous. You can get the same computer on ebay for 250-300 and you know the kids did not take care of these things, they are probably in crappy shape.

ham_man
Jul 28, 2005, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't this be far better if they sold this to their own students? Affordable computing solutions for their own community. Somehow I think that that would be a better plan that selling it too any Jo Schmoe...

WildCowboy
Jul 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't this be far better if they sold this to their own students? Affordable computing solutions for their own community. Somehow I think that that would be a better plan that selling it too any Jo Schmoe...

Well, they sort of did this. They had 22,000 iBooks, and saved a bunch to supply their middle schoolers with the machines (including some extras). They then offered them to graduating seniors for $50 each, and they snapped up 1,100 of them. There are now 1,000 left for the general public.

Raiden
Jul 28, 2005, 09:11 PM
In defense to people who think they are a piece of crap...lemme just say that, as a student who used it for 3 years in the henrico school system (graduated year before last), you WANTED IT TO WORK.

They got banged up alot in backpacks and ****, but the majority of the time you took care of it because it was your gateway to the internet and whatever the hell you felt like doing in the middle of class. Seriously, if you were 15 (like I was when I first got it), would you rather listen to the teacher teach english cause your computer was broken, or play emulated Super Mario 64 or look at your favorite website?? DUH, this is a no-brainer.

nagromme
Jul 28, 2005, 09:33 PM
Twenty THOUSAND plus iBooks.

That rivals the Mac Mini for potential to lure switchers/adders with low financial risk :) And they'll know they're old models, so the speed won't be held against current products.

amin
Jul 29, 2005, 01:00 AM
Still an incredible deal. I think it's going to be absolute chaos there, which is the main reason I don't make the trek.

mkaake
Jul 29, 2005, 09:37 AM
I was going to make the trip down, as I can't afford to buy one at their actual value, but could really use one as I finish up school in the next 16-18 months, and need to write a thesis. Having a little iBook would have made a lot of my logistics issues go away.

And then it happened. Front page on macrumors. Stories of people flying in from germany. Mac fanatics wanting to camp out overnight.

All with only 1000 laptops.

So sad. What gets me is that most of the fanatics that talk about camping out, or being there at 3 in the morning don't need one, but want one, because it's a good price.

So it goes. I suppose when you sell something that far below market value, you're destined to have a *lot* of people try to get one just to re-sell it.

But now those people who might have made a long trip, because they needed (or could really use) a laptop on the cheap, are faced with a tougher decision - do you drive 5, 6, or more hours one way, with the possibility that there won't even be any 'books left when you get there? Then instead of getting a $50 laptop (or 100/150 after gas, depending on how far you travel), you're spending 50/100 bucks on a dream... which you can't afford to do.

Needless to say, I was really hoping that MR wasn't going to front page it, because that's what's gonna happen now...

azul14457
Aug 5, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hey, I was a junior in the henrico school system when they first gave us the laptops. I kept mine in tip top shape and didn't abuse it, but I know several students had to replace the cd trays a few times because they it broke when they flung their backpacks around.

First of all they are letting the students buy their laptops back if they choose to do so. There is a separate time and place for that they did not publicize.

$50 is a good price because these laptops are 4 years old and have received much abuse. I honestly don't think they expected to receive this much national attention about it. Everyone thinks its a steal but they are going to probably laugh their way to the bank when the computers don't turn on. Well it's worth the risk for me.

Luckily I'm a henrico resident with a valid driver's license that has Henrico written on the front. And I don't work that week so I have all the time in the world. I'm about 15 minutes from the speedway and I know there is a McDonalds right across the street. I think I'll just get breakfast there and leisurely make my way past the mob of people. Should be a nice note-taker at college.