PDA

View Full Version : File-sharers are 'biggest iTunes users'

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: File-sharers are 'biggest iTunes users' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050728095937)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

shamino
Jul 28, 2005, 02:42 PM
How much you wanna bet that this report will never make its way to the New York Times the way the RIAA's press releases do?

Heb1228
Jul 28, 2005, 02:54 PM
I think this goes to show that the illegal download problem will probably be beneficial to the Music industry in the long term. If not for illegal downloads, mp3s and digital music would have never taken off the way it did. That would have meant the iPod probably wouldn't have met with as much success. Also, if people had not gotten so used to listening to music and storing it on their computer, iTunes and other wannabe music services wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

(Though I still encourage people not to download illegally.)

Applespider
Jul 28, 2005, 02:56 PM
There's still only a third of file sharers (probably the ones doing it because they love music and are looking for hard-to-find files) who pay. The other two thirds who are looking for free chart albums don't bother.

I'm not surprised about this. P2P sharers have more tech awareness than the average consumer so it stands to reason that they feel more comfortable downloading tracks than the average consumer. The iTMS isn't entirely mainstream yet.

Josh
Jul 28, 2005, 03:19 PM
This shouldn't be suprising at all.

iPods can hold over 10,000 songs. Do people (does Apple, even) think that people are going to buy $10k worth of songs? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Some rare people (read: no one) might, but surely not the typical Joe Schmoe that buys iPods. No one bought that kind of music when CD's were the norm, and no one is going to spend that much on music now.

TomSmithMacEd
Jul 28, 2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I am one of these people. I spend about that much on legitimate music (iTMS/CD's), as I still get a vast amount of music for free online. I don't really have a system in what I buy, and what I don't, but I love music too much, and don't have the cash to buy all I want. (Plus lots that I want to buy isn't in town, or even on iTMS.)

SilvorX
Jul 29, 2005, 01:24 AM
I'm not one of those people who go "OMG you said you download music off of p2p so i'm going to report you to the police!!!111", I admit I do my share of p2ping, but this story is not news to me, I constantly buy albums from iTMS, if theres something I want that's not on iTMS and isn't cheap in stores, I go on p2p to find it, if I want it bad enough, I'll buy it off of iTMS or else a store

shamino
Aug 2, 2005, 02:14 PM
iPods can hold over 10,000 songs. Do people (does Apple, even) think that people are going to buy $10k worth of songs? Yeah right :rolleyes:
Who ever said that the only choice is iTMS or piracy?

I've got over 8,000 songs in my collection, mostly ripped from 600+ CDs that I've been buying over the past 15 years. The overwhelming majority of these CDs were purchased before the iPod was invented.

ph0rce
Aug 2, 2005, 03:07 PM
my whole iTunes libary is all leagal now :D all 1147 of them :D my school mates call me stoopid but then again... i'll be laughing wen the get the fine :D lol jokin... i woud feel sorry for ma mates if they did.

MontyZ
Aug 2, 2005, 03:47 PM
In the early days of Napster, I downloaded a bunch of tunes for free. But if I liked the music, I went to the store and bought the CD because often the quality of the download wasn't that good, and I like to have the entire disc with artwork for really good albums.

And the 30-second sample in iTunes is never enough to know whether you like the song or not, so, being able to hear the whole song first was also a plus.

I think the RIAA has had their heads up their asses for the past 5+ years, and have spent vast fortunes on litigating instead of investing in the future of digital music. It just makes the RIAA look stupid and greedy.

shamino
Aug 3, 2005, 10:02 AM
I think the RIAA has had their heads up their asses for the past 5+ years, and have spent vast fortunes on litigating instead of investing in the future of digital music. It just makes the RIAA look stupid and greedy.
Originally, musicians owned the record companies. Then music producers. Then accountants. Now it's the lawyers.

With any luck, bankrupcy courts will come next.