PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 Production Underway for an Expected Fall Launch

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/)

According to Japanese blog Mac Otakara (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=17141), the next generation iPhone has already gone into production in China. Mac Otakara cites reliable Chinese sources for the information.

For reference, Mac Otakara also cited (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/11/ipad-3-production-underway-for-early-march-shipments/) similar sources when they reported that the iPad 3 first went into production in January 2012. The lead time between production and launch for the iPad 3 was approximately two months with an official launch date (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-introduces-the-new-ipad-with-retina-display-a5x-chip-and-5-mp-rear-camera/) of March 16th, 2012. That could suggest that we could see the new iPhone as early as September, though the production timelines for the iPad and iPhone may differ significantly.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303360504577407610487811698.html) had previously reported that the iPhone 5 would begin production in June, and all signs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/20/iphone-5-due-for-release-in-september-october-timeframe/) have pointed to a September or October launch for the new iPhone.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/1367258528.jpg
Leaked iPhone 5 parts have suggested Apple will be adopting a two-tone backing with a central metal panel. Mac Otakara reports that in the production models the back panel have a naked aluminum surface and a partially glass covered portion. They also note that a small hole that was seen (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/iphone_5_rear_shell_white_1.jpg) between the lens and flash in the prototype parts is now absent.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Production Underway for an Expected Fall Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/)

Disposition
Jul 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
I can see it being released in September. :D

Tom8
Jul 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Interesting. Still not sure how i feel on the two tone back. I expect it could look better when the finish product is released and we're not just relying on dodgy photos of prototype devices.

macduke
Jul 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
September sounds good to me. I've been thinking they would go back to having the September event anyway. New iPods, iPhone, and a very small chance of a surprise iPad Mini? I must admit that after purchasing a Retina MacBook Pro, my wallet just isn't ready!

First world problems…lol.

Pivs
Jul 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
This design is growing on me. Hope they are indeed thinking an earlier launch. Still rocking the 3gs and I am definitely in need of an upgrade!

wickerman1893
Twi tone back sounds ugly too me. But who knows what Apple has up their sleeve. Expected the Fall launch.

Fidget08
My friend is friends with Tim. He said Tim told him it will come out this year. He's 100% right 60% of the time!

easy4lif
Jul 14, 2012, 01:24 PM

your prob right since the iPhone took over the iPod music event time slot. Either way, for me planing tom get new ipod Touch when it comes out this fall

whateverandever
Jul 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Can we please stop calling it iPhone 5? It's the least sensible name possible for the 6th generation iPhone.

The New iPhone, iPhone 4G, and iPhone 6 all make more sense.

RawBert
Jul 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
iPhone 5 (6th generation) ...sounds odd.

Yeah, iPhone 6.

Tom8
Jul 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Even though Apple's internal naming scheme will peg it as iPhone 5,1 :rolleyes:

thekeyring
Jul 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Should be good. I'm really interested in how they'll introduce the bigger screen and how it will affect developers.

I really think apps for the current iPhone will run fine though, without modification.

Excited ^-^

pittpanthersfan
Jul 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
I still need to be sold on the two-tone back, but the the black antenna on some mockups is sleek.

http://cdn.ipadworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iPhone-5-black-mockup-314x156.jpg

TennisandMusic
Jul 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
My friend is friends with Tim. He said Tim told him it will come out this year. He's 100% right 60% of the time!

That doesn't make any sense.

applefanDrew
Jul 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
It is actually the 7th generation iPhone there was iPhone, 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S

iPhone 2G was the original.

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
It is actually the 7th generation iPhone there was iPhone, 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S

It's the 6th. What is referred as the 2G is the original iPhone that came out in 2007. Some call it the 2G since it only used EDGE. The 3G came out in 2008, 3GS in 2009, 4 in 2010, and 4S 2011.

TheStoof
Jul 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm happy to hear that it may release in Sep/Oct because my contract isn't up until Dec 12. When that's up, I can comfortably go to the store and request that my 3GS be unlocked, so I can use it overseas when I go to Venezuela, and then get my iPhone 5. Holllleeer!

griffd
Jul 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
huh? Neither of you are correct. The 1st iPhone was just "The iPhone". The 2nd was the 3G. The 3G was for the network technology, not 3rd gen. 3GS was for SPEED, 4 was for 4th gen, and 4S was for Siri.

The new one will be the 6th generation. They will NOT call it the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. It will be called The New iPhone (aka 6th gen)
iPhone 2G was the original.

charlesdayton
Jul 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
/s

That pic must be the real deal. Just look at that updated Apple logo!

/s

scwinsett
Jul 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Good lord guys. This is getting so annoying. It's not an iPhone 5. It's the sixth generation iPhone. It will probably just be called the new iPhone. Why would it be iPhone 5? That's stupid. It's the sixth phone, running iOS 6.

kockgunner
Jul 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
huh? Neither of you are correct. The 1st iPhone was just "The iPhone". The 2nd was the 3G. The 3G was for the network technology, not 3rd gen. 3GS was for SPEED, 4 was for 4th gen, and 4S was for Siri.

The new one will be the 6th generation. They will NOT call it the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. It will be called The New iPhone (aka 6th gen)

I like how you showed how inconsistent Apple's naming convention is and then you confidently state that the iPhone will be called the New iPhone.

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Can we please stop calling it iPhone 5? It's the least sensible name possible for the 6th generation iPhone.

Um, the 4 came out after the 3GS, and the 4 wasn't called the 5, so I'm pretty sure that if following their current pattern, the next iPhone will be called the 5.

Chrisg2014
Jul 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Crossing my fingers for september! Cause we all know that we're not getting one till october. Look at the Retina Macbook Pro 2-3 weeks. CROSS THOSE FINGERS LADYS!

Rocketman
Jul 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He managed a two tier worldwide iPad3 rollout. I would expect a WORLDWIDE iPhone 5 rollout with massive release inventory to handle surge demand. Mid-October release.

On a pure supply chain basis this will be a thing of B-school studies for years.

And I was criticized for saying buy AAPL in July-August back in the dark days of April and May . . . .

Rocketman

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
I refuse to believe that that atrocity is going to be the iPhone 5. I really hope it's just a red herring...

I'm expecting some new iPhone to come out this fall though, early upgrade anyone? lol.

a.gomez
Jul 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
well guess they doing the Prada box for another 2 years - see these things in casses on the train and they just look like a brick.

snowcrash
Jul 14, 2012, 01:59 PM

"Can we please stop" posting this on every thread about the iPhone. We get it. 6th Gen.

And really? "least sensible"?!?! Seriously? Do me a favor, ask any "non Apple geek" what would they name the next phone after the 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4s, and let me know how many people say "Oh well that would be the iPhone 6". Most people would say "What happened to the iPhone 5". For all we know they will call it "The New iPhone". You have no more of a chance at being right as does calling it an iPhone 5 or The New iPhone, but can we PLEASE stop posting this in EVERY thread over and over again. Everyone here knows which gen we are on. For all we know they might even throw everyone a curveball and call the damn thing the iPhone 4XL

ThatsMeRight
Jul 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
If they use the design that was leaked, than they lost a customer here.

Detrias
Jul 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Um, the 4 came out after the 3GS, and the 4 wasn't called the 5, so I'm pretty sure that if following their current pattern, the next iPhone will be called the 5.

Of course it wasn't named the 5, perhaps cause the iPhone 4 was the fourth model to come out and not the fifth?

MonsterRain
Jul 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
This is the 6th year of the iPhone's existence.

It'll be the 6th iPhone on the market.

iOS 6.

The new phone will be called, "iPhone: Number of the Beast".

The opening of the show to reveal it will be the song of the same name by Iron Maiden.

It'll have their Eddie mascot on the back of the phone, holding the Apple logo.

Count on it.

God I'm good at this stuff.

Rogifan
Jul 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Well if Macotakara is reporting it, it must be true. /s

ThatsMeRight
Jul 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Let's hope Apple calls it iPhone 7 - just to troll everyone here.

hirshnoc
Jul 14, 2012, 02:07 PM

Yeah, iPhone 6.

If this phone gets the name 'iPhone 5' I will be really, really, REALLY surprised. Imagine the eBay listing. "iPhone 5 (6G)" it was similar to "iPhone 3G (2G)"

gmanist1000
Jul 14, 2012, 02:08 PM

It is ugly to me too, but it will be covered up with a case by me anyways.

NM08SRT8
Jul 14, 2012, 02:09 PM

Good.

Goodbye.

maestrocasa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:09 PM

iOS 6.

The opening of the show to reveal it will be the song of the same name by Iron Maiden.

Count on it.

iPhone 666. Love it. I'll definitely get one then. Maybe even 6.

Seriously though, I'm ready for it. Just moved from way out in the country, where there is no cell service, into town where coverage is great. I'm ready to trade in my $10 Samsung GoPhone for an iPhone and I just can't bear to buy a 4S with just a couple months left until the upgrade.

Hurry up Apple. I've got cash. Let's go.

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 02:11 PM

As you state, iPhone 2G isn't an official name from Apple. People like to refer to it as the iPhone 2G due to the original only using 2G network technology( EDGE). People also refer to it as the original iPhone.

There hasn't been a naming pattern for the iPhone besides the "S" moniker on the minor updates of the iPhone. iPhone 3G was named for having 3G cellular tech, the 3GS had the S next to 3G for speed since it was just a spec bump. Apple named the 4 for being the 4th generation iPhone. The S returns with the 4S since it was a spec bump to the 4.

Overall, we have no idea what Apple call the next iPhone. If Apple continues to name the iPhone after the generation, it will be the iPhone 6. Apple could follow what they did with the iPad and simply call the next iPhone, " The New iPhone". Apple could go back to naming it after the cellular technology and call it, " iPhone LTE". Who knows, besides Apple.

bdavis89
Jul 14, 2012, 02:14 PM

This is why we need downvoting.

The 4 was called the 4 because it was the 4th iPhone. They're not going to call the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5.

Santabean2000
Jul 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Interesting. Still not sure how i feel on the two tone back. I expect it could look better when the finish product is released and we're not just relying on dodgy photos of prototype devices.

Me too. Hopefully this thing looks and feels better in the hand than it does from what we've seen so far.

Pretty unlikely that we'll see something different at this point. Teardrop anyone..?

clibinarius
Jul 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
What's wrong with calling it the iPhone 4G, due to the fact while it is a redesign, it still isn't too different than the 4/4s in design and it'll be the first iPhone with LTE?

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
What's wrong with calling it the iPhone 4G, due to the fact while it is a redesign, it still isn't too different than the 4/4s in design and it'll be the first iPhone with LTE?

Probably mass confusion. Especially since AT&T got Apple to change the symbol of when the phone is on HSPA+ to 4G on the 4S.

Uplift
Jul 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
I still need to be sold on the two-tone back, but the the black antenna on some mockups is sleek.

Image (http://cdn.ipadworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iPhone-5-black-mockup-314x156.jpg)

that looks awesome.

Firen
Jul 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Jesus, why do some people on here get so upset about a stupid name? Who cares what it's going to be called? And if you actually care so much: Just wait til fall and you will see and can then beat each other up.

Ridiculous.

bushido
they will call it the new iPhone ;) which is already confusing enough on the new iPad

when i went to the store to pick up my iPad and asked if they have "the new iPad" he was like "what new ipad, they havent released a new one" and i was like "oh i mean the iPad 3" hes like "ah ok"

by the way: this board is not optimized for the iPad AT ALL. i cant edit! its just asking me if i want to copy the whole comment box. annoying

shompa

Internal name are 5,1 and 5,2. So we should all call it Iphone 5,1 until release.
I personally am curious why they have both a 5,1 and 5,2 project. The phone should have a world LTE/radio chip, so it should not be two different versions.

If its true that production have started. Then we should see the keynote between 7 August -- 28 August. Since iOS have to be ready, we should see a couple of more of betas before release.

It will be a busy H2 2012 for Apple.
Aug/Sep: Iphone/Ipod event. Maybe even a silent bump of Ipad3. (32nm processor and single lamp LCD panel. Making it thinner and cheaper to produce)

October: Retina Macbook Air. Bumped Imacs. I would love a retina Imac + cinema display, but today 4K displays costs 10000+ dollars.

November: Apple LCDTV? Steves last project.

I personally am really sad over the fact that we are seeing the last products that Steve had an active hand with. The Retina Macbook Pro had a classic "one more thing" introduction. Iphone 5,1 Steve worked on the day before his death (reported on the web that Steve called Tim about something about Iphone 5,1).
And the last: The "I have cracked it" TV project.

ThatsMeRight
Jul 14, 2012, 02:22 PM

Image (http://cdn.ipadworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iPhone-5-black-mockup-314x156.jpg)

I like this mock-up, but the leaks don't point at a black antenna band. If the iPhone turns out to look like this, than it's alright - but the real pictures (so not those digital mock-ups) look worse than this.

faroZ06
Jul 14, 2012, 02:24 PM

First of all, the iPhone already has 4G. Secondly, The New iPhone? What kind of name is that? Just think of the 4S as the "4.5".

If Apple did what you wanted, it would go 4, 4S, 6, 6S, 8..... No odd numbers.

----------

LTE isn't the only 4G out there. The iPhone already has 4G, actually.

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:24 PM

I want:
Iphone NeXT

This phone should be a tribute to Steve. Maybe even have Steve signature engraved on the back side of the phone.

At least that Apple sells a NeXT version of the phone where the extra money goes to cancer research or buying MSFT shares. (with enough MSFT shares, we can finally close down MSFT and make the world much better)

Rocketman
Jul 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Nobody really cares what Apple chooses to call it, except internet trolls, which are a very vocal uber-minority. Hence the name troll.

Rocketman

faroZ06
Jul 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
"Can we please stop" posting this on every thread about the iPhone. We get it. 6th Gen.

And really? "least sensible"?!?! Seriously? Do me a favor, ask any "non Apple geek" what would they name the next phone after the 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4s, and let me know how many people say "Oh well that would be the iPhone 6". Most people would say "What happened to the iPhone 5". For all we know they will call it "The New iPhone". You have no more of a chance at being right as does calling it an iPhone 5 or The New iPhone, but can we PLEASE stop posting this in EVERY thread over and over again. Everyone here knows which gen we are on. For all we know they might even throw everyone a curveball and call the **** thing the iPhone 4XL

Let's just wait for them to call it the iPhone 5 so we can laugh.

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
First of all, the iPhone already has 4G. Secondly, The New iPhone? What kind of name is that? Just think of the 4S as the "4.5".

----------

No.. LTE isn't even 4G.
4G is minimum of 100megabit. LTE Advanced supports that.

So today there are not a single REAL 4G product.

But WHY people wants 100 megabit into their phone/tablet is another thing. Especially in US where data caps are small/expensive.

Rennir
Jul 14, 2012, 02:26 PM

Yeah, iPhone 6.

iPhone 4S (5th generation) ...hmmm, I guess that sounds odd too?

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
yeah even i think it may launch in september as the competition to ip is pretty healthy and apple shud man up their game with this, it looks great the rumored images to me atleast, i vote for ip against androids out there

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 02:28 PM

If Apple did what you wanted, it would go 4, 4S, 6, 6S, 8..... No odd numbers

So the 3GS was the "2.5"?

The New iPhone makes sense since that is the direction Apple went with the iPad. Ditching the numbers for simply, " The New iPad".

Like I said, Apple has no naming pattern for the iPhone besides the "S" moniker for the minor updates. We have no idea what they will call the next iPhone.

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:29 PM

Apple is doomed....

(the real production phones usually looks better. I even hope for different colours this year. There have been some rumours about it. )

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 02:29 PM

The 4 was called the 4 because it was the 4th iPhone. They're not going to call the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5.

Oh lighten the **** up, some of you people :rolleyes:

Don't you think releasing an iPhone 6 would confuse the general public? "Wait... if there's an iPhone 6, what was the iPhone 5?" "Was the 4S renamed the 5 then?" "Why did they skip the 5?". The general public don't give a **** about WHY they named the 3G the 3G, or why they named the 4 the 4. Calling it the iPhone 6 would confuse everyone.

And why is the 4S considered as a whole generation if it's just a spec bump from the 4? Wouldn't that make it more of a 4.5 than a whole new generation? It still has the 4 name.

lighthouse_man
Jul 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
The iPhone moved in numbers when it changed form. If the new one resembles the 4 and the 4s, it will be called 4t or 4x or whatever. If it's a new design, it'll be called iPhone 5.

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Apple is doomed....

(the real production phones usually looks better. I even hope for different colours this year. There have been some rumours about it. )

i kind of agree with u, however the design of ip, the leaked images clearly shows that ip is designed along the lines of current model, which in my humble op looks more "matured" vs the design that may look like a toy, ok so trust in apple it ll look cool

i dont think they shud do colors, instead design really cool cases for it like the ipad cases, that ll do well

malman89
Jul 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
I want:
Iphone NeXT

This phone should be a tribute to Steve. Maybe even have Steve signature engraved on the back side of the phone.

At least that Apple sells a NeXT version of the phone where the extra money goes to cancer research or buying MSFT shares. (with enough MSFT shares, we can finally close down MSFT and make the world much better)

.......I don't even know where to begin with this whole nest of crazy.

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
So the 3GS was "2.5"?

The New iPhone makes sense since that is the direction Apple went with the iPad. Ditching the numbers for simply, " The New iPad".

Like I said, Apple has no naming pattern for the iPhone besides the "S" moniker for the minor updates. We have no idea what they will call the next iPhone.

But Apple have INTERNAL names of the phones.

Iphone: 1,1
Iphone3G: 1,2
Iphone3GS: 2,1
Iphone4:3,1 /3,3
Iphone4S:4,1

So Apple themselves thinks that iPhone/iphone3G are the same generation.

rnbgrilla
Jul 14, 2012, 02:34 PM

Well Said, Well Said

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
i kind of liked the designs that were showed in a video, i think i would like to own one in black color, iphone design looks mature.

lets hope Sir Ive doesnt dissapoint us!

pgiguere1
Jul 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Incredible how people can't stop arguing about the name like it changes anything. It's not even written on the phone itself nor anywhere easily visible in the OS. I'll still give my opinion. :p

Apple doesn't care about the generation number. They won't call it the iPhone 6 for sure. By naming the 5th iPhone the 4S they made it sound like it was an improved iPhone 4, not a whole new generation, so the generation number logic can't apply. That'd be like calling the current PS3 the PS4 because they released a slim PS2 before it. Like someone pointed out, if they named it the iPhone 6, everybody would ask where the iPhone 5 is. It's all about marketing and keeping it simple for customers, not confusing them for the sake of being factually correct according to a "generation number". What constitutes a generation isn't even defined, like I said we could say adding an S isn't a complete generation, so we couldn't say half a generation (or any fraction of it) separates the 4 and 4S.

They won't call it iPhone 4G because some people already call the iPhone 4 the 4G because of the confusion created by the iPhone 3G/3GS. 4G also doesn't mean nothing since it doesn't necessarily mean LTE. The iPhone 4S on AT&T is already considered 4G.

I say it's either iPhone 5 or just "the new iPhone", with simply "iPhone" written on the box and in ads, just like for the iPad.

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
Let's hope Apple calls it iPhone 7 - just to troll everyone here.

Why stop there? Do like Microsoft and just make up a large number.
How about Iphone 720 durango?

ThatsMeRight

So Apple themselves thinks that iPhone/iphone3G are the same generation.

Internal names say nothing. They don't think the original iPhone and second iPhone are the same generation. They literally said when they announced iPhone 4 that it was the fourth generation (and that's why it is iPhone 4).

whateverandever

----------

You're kidding, right? They named the 3rd generation iPad "The new iPad."

Apple already understands they've caused confusion with the 3G/3GS/4/4S numbers which is why they're moving away from numbers altogether (i.e. the naming of the iPad).

My point in complaining is that the MacRumors crowd should understand that this is a sixth generation phone with no indication that the phone would EVER be called "iPhone 5" (which was the rumored name for the 4S up until around a month before its release). So if the iPhone 4S was called iPhone 5 by the rumor sites for a year, why are we still referring to the 6th gen (unnamed) iPhone the "iPhone 5"?

I can understand the stupid main media sites not having a clue, but it shouldn't be a name used by the geeky rumor sites that know better.

rnbgrilla
Jul 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
The iPhone moved in numbers when it changed form. If the new one resembles the 4 and the 4s, it will be called 4t or 4x or whatever. If it's a new design, it'll be called iPhone 5.

Naw, Most Likey It Would Be Called "The New iPhone" , Just Like They Did For The iPad "The New iPad" & I'm Guessing They Will Do It For The iPod Touch Too, "The New iPod Touch"

Come This Sep/Oct U can come back to this post and be like "OMG this person was right" or be like "haha this fool was wrong"

satkin2
Jul 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
Does it really matter whether it's the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6, they could just as likely rename it the 'new' iPhone like they did with the iPad. The launch of any new iPhone, numbered or not is sure to get mass media reporting, so it wouldn't go unnoticed. Even more so if there's a redesign.

Rocketman
Jul 14, 2012, 02:39 PM
So Apple themselves thinks that iPhone/iphone3G are the same generation.NOTE: It is Iphone NOT iPhone! BTW the very term "phone" is now dead in the data only VoIP world.

IP hone home hore hope

"So Apple themselves thinks that iPhone/iphone3G are the same generation."

Look for the hardware commonalities.

Slivortal
Jul 14, 2012, 02:39 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

It actually does make sense. It simply means that he's completely right only 60% of the time - the other 40% is unaccounted for, and could mean anything from being 80% right to not being right at all 40% of the time.

It's like the whole "contains 100% fruit juice" marketing scheme - sure, it might have 100% juice in it, but that doesn't necessarily mean the juice is 100% of the drink.

On a more practical note, I think the chances of this guy being a second-degree friend with Tim are far less than 60%. :p

pittpanthersfan
Jul 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
They won't call it iPhone 4G because some people already call the iPhone 4 the 4G because of the confusion created by the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Most likely the same people that refer to the iPod Touch as the iTouch. :confused:

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm happy to hear that it may release in Sep/Oct because my contract isn't up until Dec 12. When that's up, I can comfortably go to the store and request that my 3GS be unlocked, so I can use it overseas when I go to Venezuela, and then get my iPhone 5. Holllleeer!

The contracts are the reason for Apple's strategy:
Tic/toc. Large revision/speed revision.

Apple counts that people change phone each 24 month with new contract and tries to match these dates.

Many iPhone fans therefore have 2 contracts, so that they can get a new Iphone each year. (the second SIM card can be used in an iPad as a data card).

Let's say I am a Samsung fan and wants all their phones. They release about 40 different phones each year. Many contracts :)

----------

I say it's either iPhone 5 or just "the new iPhone", with simply "iPhone" written on the box and in ads, just like for the iPad.

The "new Iphone" works for one year.
But what about next year?

Apple usually keeps 3 generations of phones for sale to have price segmentation.

It will be really strange on Apple Store:
New iPhone
Old iPhone
Real old iPhone

lighthouse_man
Jul 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Come This Sep/Oct U can come back to this post and be like "OMG this person was right" or be like "haha this fool was wrong"

OK, let me note this in my calendar...

Time Less
Jul 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
who cares what generation the iphone is at or what the name will be called. i'm more interested in the aluminum and glass back plate instead of aluminum and plastic that was assumed. i can not wait, my 4 is starting to feel sluggish.

SockRolid
Jul 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
2007 iPhone

Marketing name: iPhone (now sometimes referred to as "iPhone 2G" by the media)

Internal model number: iPhone 1,1

2008 iPhone

Marketing name: iPhone 3G

Internal model number: iPhone 1,2

2009 iPhone

Marketing name: iPhone 3GS

Internal model number: iPhone 2,1

2010 iPhone

Marketing name: iPhone 4

Internal model number: iPhone 3,1

2011 iPhone

Marketing name: iPhone 4S

Internal model number: iPhone 4,1

2012 iPhone

Marketing name: unknown

Internal model number: iPhone 5,1

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
i d expect

a nice uniform design

bumped up storage

good accessories from apple particularly good screen protectors and cases alike ipad cases, they really are good!

i still vote for ip against android crap in market

SockRolid
Jul 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
From the above history of iPhone names (and iPad names), I'd guess the following:

2012 iPhone:

Marketing name: the new iPhone aka iPhone (6th gen)

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
who cares what generation the iphone is at or what the name will be called. i'm more interested in the aluminum and glass back plate instead of aluminum and plastic that was assumed. i can not wait, my 4 is starting to feel sluggish.

The naming thing is fun. I have personally met hundred of persons who didn't buy the Iphone4S just because of the name. They would have bought it if it was called Iphone 5.

But one thing is for sure: Apple always have some killer feature for their new phone. I personally thinks it have to do with NFC and some "Apple re-invents" NFC. NFC enabled Iphone Prototypes have been rumoured to be out since early Iphone 4.

I am still fascinated by Apple's secrecy. When I worked at Ericsson/Nokia they handed out prototypes to almost anyone working there. No NDA, nothing secret.

Apple in other hand is totally secret. I have seen one Iphone prototype for field testing. it was inside a locked box so the design was completely secret. During the next 3-4 weeks prototypes will be flown out all around the world for field testing/carrier certification. Isn't amazing that there usually are not a single leak from these large scale testing?

ixodes
Jul 14, 2012, 03:01 PM

I've never understood why someone would reach out and ask others to give them reasons to buy a phone they may not be interested in.

I happen to think that's the ugliest damn iPhone ever.

It has the most bizarre useless (for me) display on the planet.

I'm going to set a personal record, this will be the first time ever, that Apple has produced a product I find so objectionable there's no way I will buy it.

NO Flippin Way :eek:

I'll give them another year, and see if that's what it takes for them to wake up, and give J Ive, permission to design the next one.

I can't imagine that he had any involvement in this failed attempt.

richman555
Jul 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
I will be buying one the week of Christmas and new year. That marks 2 years since my last iPhone purchase. :D

SockRolid
Jul 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
[...]
I'm going to set a personal record, this will be the first time ever, that Apple has produced a product I find so objectionable there's no way I will buy it.
[...]

Relax. Just the the 4S for $99. (Unless you already have one.)

jackal123uk
Jul 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Most likely the same people that refer to the iPod Touch as the iTouch. :confused:

And those who refer to the apple tv (in it's current and future incarnations) as the iTV.

iGiselle2
Jul 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
I hope this iPhone will make a bigger difference than the previous generation, like when you look at it, you can notice right away that it's the newer version. I can't wait! I

shompa
Jul 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
i d expect

bumped up storage

Isn't storage unnecessary with iCloud? :) At least a bit less necessary.

The problem with bumped storage is two fold: Its one of the more expensive component inside a phone. Large capacity needs large space. Ipod touch could have the double storage since it does not have a radio module.

One more interesting thing about storage is speeding it up. Today its real slow.
Apple have been working on making storage on Idevices be more like SSD Flash. Today it takes hours syncing 64 gig. With faster flash memory and USB3 it could be much faster.

This is one of the reasons why Apple bought Anobit. Making their own custom Flash controllers. But I think we are 1-2 generation from that being integrated into the A class SoC.

----------

I will be buying one the week of Christmas and new year. That marks 2 years since my last iPhone purchase. :D

I don't know what you do with your old phone.
One great thing about Apple's strategy on releasing iOS for older devices is that many, like me, gives away their old phones.

I usually give my old phone to a family/friend. Then they are hooked into the iLife :)

(back in 2001 I switched to Mac because of Unix. Not one single person I knew had a mac. Today almost all have macs. Only gamers haven't switched )

unlinked
Jul 14, 2012, 03:17 PM

Did you really mean to refer to your own post as the reason we need down voting?

Anyhow, a new iPhone will be released with a new name. What it is called doesn't really matter.

Dustman
Jul 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
Isn't storage unnecessary with iCloud? :) At least a bit less necessary.

The problem with bumped storage is two fold: Its one of the more expensive component inside a phone. Large capacity needs large space. Ipod touch could have the double storage since it does not have a radio module.

One more interesting thing about storage is speeding it up. Today its real slow.
Apple have been working on making storage on Idevices be more like SSD Flash. Today it takes hours syncing 64 gig. With faster flash memory and USB3 it could be much faster.

This is one of the reasons why Apple bought Anobit. Making their own custom Flash controllers. But I think we are 1-2 generation from that being integrated into the A class SoC.

Um, until apps can stream from the cloud, I'm pretty sure storage space is still relevant. Especially since they keep getting bigger and bigger with these higher resolutions. Also, Apple is aware that there's not always a signal, and I'd argue that more people use the iPhone as an iPod than to actually make phone calls. Imagine doing a road trip across the country with your iPhone plugged in for music, and every state you pass through is plagued with dead spots. Does that sound like the future to you? Choppy music? iCloud is a compliment to storage, nothing more.

Also, what planet are you living on where you think flash memory is slow? USB 2 is slow, not flash.

ixodes
Jul 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Relax. Just the the 4S for $99. (Unless you already have one.)

I am relaxed, just an outspoken guy that is frustrated with Apple. It's not that big of a deal, yet I know that they monitor this forum, so might as well make it clear how I feel about the current trend.

My iPhone 4S is excellent and will more than last me until the following year.

Plus you'll notice that unlike some, I did _Not_ say I was giving up on Apple. I'm far too loyal for that, plus I believe in their abilities. Year after year for over two decades I've bought new PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's, Mac Pros and the like.

That's why I know they will come around and do the right thing at some point in time. They always do.

KanosWRX
Jul 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
I cant imagine Apple being stupid enough to make a screen that is only taller and not wider. It gives no benefit to the every day user using the phone for mail and web browsing. If you don't have a wider phone you can't have larger text as it would reduce the number of words per line from the previous generation. Web site are already pretty tiny on the current iPhone. Only makes sense going to a 4" screen it would be wider as well to actually give some benefit to the larger size.

Fingers crossed all these leaks are not the real deal.. but I have a bad feeling about this...

winston1236
Jul 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
"The problem with bumped storage is two fold: Its one of the more expensive component inside a phone."

Not really, the price is less and less every year for more

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
I am relaxed, just an outspoken guy that is frustrated with Apple. It's not that big of a deal, yet I know that they monitor this forum, so might as well make it clear how I feel about the current trend.

My iPhone 4S is excellent and will more than last me until the following year.

Plus you'll notice that unlike some, I did _Not_ say I was giving up on Apple. I'm far too loyal for that, plus I believe in their abilities. Year after year for over two decades I've bought new PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's, Mac Pros and the like.

That's why I know they will come around and do the right thing at some point in time. They always do.

well said, the satisfaction among customers for apple products is off the charts only bec they do it right, balanced design and functionality works for me too

----------

I cant imagine Apple being stupid enough to make a screen that is only taller and not wider. It gives no benefit to the every day user using the phone for mail and web browsing. If you don't have a wider phone you can't have larger text as it would reduce the number of words per line from the previous generation. Web site are already pretty tiny on the current iPhone. Only makes sense going to a 4" screen it would be wider as well to actually give some benefit to the larger size.

Fingers crossed all these leaks are not the real deal.. but I have a bad feeling about this...

well parts leak clearly shows whats coming, these leaks are very accurate in my opinion

shawnwich
Jul 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
Why can't it be all aluminum on the back? Surely there must be a reason for this - has anyone figured it out? Is it possible the new camera / flash need glass? New antenna?

sbrhwkp3
Jul 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
It's iPhone 5. Go **** yaselves.

faroZ06
Jul 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
No.. LTE isn't even 4G.
4G is minimum of 100megabit. LTE Advanced supports that.

So today there are not a single REAL 4G product.

But WHY people wants 100 megabit into their phone/tablet is another thing. Especially in US where data caps are small/expensive.

LTE and HSPA+ (which the iPhone uses) are both 4G, according to ads and Wikipedia.

And, 100mbps??! That's faster than my FiOS! I don't see any use for >500kbps for my iPhone, which has a small data cap.

----------

"The problem with bumped storage is two fold: Its one of the more expensive component inside a phone."

Not really, the price is less and less every year for more

Yeah, but it's still expensive. You can get a 2TB hard disc drive for cheap these days.

----------

You're kidding, right? They named the 3rd generation iPad "The new iPad."

No, they named it "iPad". It says so on the site and in the user manual. They were advertising it as "the new iPad", like "the new iMac" or "the new MacBook Pro" or "the new Honda Civic".

Morky
Jul 14, 2012, 03:48 PM

Um, the iPhone 4 was called the iPhone 4 because it was the, um, 4th iPhone. Calling the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5 makes zero sense, hence the complaints in this forum.

cvaldes
Jul 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
You make no sense.

1st generation, 2007 - iPhone (2.5G EDGE data)
2nd generation, 2008 - iPhone 3G (3G HSPA data)
3rd generation, 2009 - iPhone 3GS (3G HSPA data)
4th generation, 2010 - iPhone 4 (3G HSPA data)
5th generation, 2011 - iPhone 4S (3G HSPA+ data)
6th generation, 2012 - iPhone TBD (data TBD, possibly 4G LTE)

The iPhone 4 was called that because it was the 4th generation handset.

There is little reason for the 2012 iPhone to be called iPhone 5. It is neither the 5th generation nor does the number '5' have anything to do with cellular networking technology).

Apple's internal hardware numbering scheme is totally irrelevant.

Morky
Jul 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
It's iPhone 5. Go **** yaselves.

6th iPhone won't be called iPhone 5. We have no idea what it will be called but there is no logical way it will be iPhone 5.

bharatgupta
Jul 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
Why can't it be all aluminum on the back? Surely there must be a reason for this - has anyone figured it out? Is it possible the new camera / flash need glass? New antenna?

this is what the quote resting on the laurels means, apple has a history of making mistakes and they clearly underestimating competition in smartphone landscapes and underevaluating that there are better designed prod out there

they could hav also done things on ipad, but nothing changed in design, this is exactly what resting on the laurel means until it ll hurt apple they r not going to move

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
You make no sense.

1st generation, 2007 - iPhone (2.5G EDGE data)
2nd generation, 2008 - iPhone 3G (3G HSPA data)
3rd generation, 2009 - iPhone 3GS (3G HSPA data)
4th generation, 2010 - iPhone 4 (3G HSPA data)
5th generation, 2011 - iPhone 4S (3G HSPA+ data)
6th generation, 2012 - iPhone TBD (data TBD, possibly 4G LTE)

The iPhone 4 was called that because it was the 4th generation handset.

There is little reason for the 2012 iPhone to be called iPhone 5. It is neither the 5th generation nor does the number '5' have anything to do with cellular networking technology).

Apple's internal hardware numbering scheme is totally irrelevant.

As I already said, calling it the iPhone 6 would be idiotic and would confuse the general public. It's more likely to be called the iPhone 4G or 'The new iPhone' than the iPhone 6.

Sedrick
Jul 14, 2012, 04:00 PM

Yeah, iPhone 6.

Good lord guys. This is getting so annoying. It's not an iPhone 5. It's the sixth generation iPhone. It will probably just be called the new iPhone. Why would it be iPhone 5? That's stupid. It's the sixth phone, running iOS 6.
So I can see it now: Tim: "and now, the iPhone 6!! Any questions from the press?"
"Yes, Tim, what happened to the iPhone 5?"
Tim: "Uh... Next question please"
"Thanks Tim, was the iPhone 5 aborted? What went wrong?"
Tim: "Nothing went wrong, it's the iPhone 6! Doesn't anyone have any questions about the iPhone 6?" (crickets)
Tim: "Ok, you sir."
"About this aborted iPhone 5...."

Yeah, it'll be called the iPhone 6 alright.

dissdnt
Jul 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
I really hope they step up there game with this one. iPhone is starting to lag behind the competition. And in general I doubt these leaks are the iPhone 5. I have a feeling the new design is what will make people drool to want it more so then any spec bumps.

Eadfrith
Jul 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
I really hope they step up there game with this one. iPhone is starting to lag behind the competition.

I think they are already seriously lagging behind. And what we've seen so far of the iPhone 5 isn't very encouraging. I don;t know why apple are so opposed to making the iphone a bit bigger, these larger 4/4.5" Android phones are flying off the shelf - so consumers obviously want them and are not put off by the larger size.

applefanDrew
Jul 14, 2012, 04:12 PM

The antennae are on the top and bottom of the band between the cuts. Make that back part metal and everytime you hold the phone, the signal dies. Antennae gate all over again. By putting glass there they stop the possible attenuation.

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
So I can see it now: Tim: "and now, the iPhone 6!! Any questions from the press?"
Tim: "Nothing went wrong, it's the iPhone 6! Doesn't anyone have any questions about the iPhone 6?" (crickets)

Yeah, it'll be called the iPhone 6 alright. Idiots.

Finally someone gets it...

nickspohn
Jul 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
I was somewhat surprised to see all this 'iPhone 6' talk in the comments. None of us know the actually name yet, but here is my opinion:

This next iPhone will more than likely not be called the iPhone 6. Skipping the number 5 is oddly strange. Yes I know this will be the 6th iPhone, but that isn't how their naming scheme has worked. (3G was the 2nd iPhone, 4S was the 5th). I have a strong hunch on 2 options.

Likely, it might be called the iPhone 4G. The only drawback is that this will technically be the 3rd '4' iPhone viewed by general consumers (4, 4S, now 4G is somewhat confusing).

The iPhone 5 also makes sense. After all, the iPhone is 5 years old, so iPhone 5 seems plausible. The only thing that contradicts all this is iOS 6. It makes sense to call it the iPhone 6 because it's running iOS 6. But again, 4S ran 5.0.

In the end, I don't care what the name is. I just want a quality phone that is best on the market. Period.

KdParker
Jul 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
Any truth to Apple having an event Aug 7th to reveal the new iPhone?

Or is this more hype?

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html

MattInOz
Jul 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
From the above history of iPhone names (and iPad names), I'd guess the following:

2012 iPhone:

Marketing name: the new iPhone aka iPhone (6th gen)

I would have said iPhone (autumn 2012)
If it is going full metal back a wonder if they'll go move colours.
Maybe autumn release black only and drop it worldwide on the same day. Then iPhone (spring 2013) add white and another couple of colours.

bushido
Jul 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
they need to stop being lazy and innovate again. adding simply more "apps" that are mostly just partnered programs "yielp ...." wont cut it for too long. see what happened to nokia and bberry?

they may be on top right now but that can change in a heart beat.

i know people dont really care about personal experience on here but of my friends im the only one left with an iPhone. everyone else who used to have an iphone switched to samsung or htc (hell i cant even stand htc)

i love my mac and my ipad but if i wouldnt be so tied to the iCloud and apple ecosystem i may have jumped ship along with them

Wiesenlooser
Jul 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Why not make the back all metal? ... :(

Sackvillenb
Jul 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
I find the mockups of this phone... unsatisfying... I really need to see what this actually looks like, because I'm not sure how I feel about the design, based on the speculative mockups... But, with a fall release, I suppose we won't have to wait too long...

hillguy
Jul 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
I don't see how "New" would work for either the ipad or iphone. What do they do next year? Are they going to call them "Newer?" I think they should copy the auto industry and use the year as part of their name. My iphone "4s" should be called "iphone, 2011" The one that we're all waiting for then would be called: "iphone, 2012."Makes sense to me.

Westside guy
Jul 14, 2012, 04:55 PM

Each phone could have a little piece of Steve inside it.

jowie
Jul 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
PLEASE Apple... If you know what's good for you, call it "iPhone". Then we can stop these pages and pages of endless rants!

I only have the guts to say this because I can't get down-voted any more :D

NedBookPro
Jul 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
it will be really strange on apple store:
New iphone
old iphone
real old iphone

lmfao!!!!

Mr. Gates
Jul 14, 2012, 05:03 PM

^^ Isn't this what you people said about the 4S ?? "For Steve" or some nonsense like that ??

At least that Apple sells a NeXT version of the phone where the extra money goes to cancer research( Um ...No this would never happen as Apple keeps it's money and never does ANY kind of charity) or buying MSFT shares. (with enough MSFT shares, we can finally close down MSFT and make the world much better) Microsoft and Bill Gates have helped the world in so many ways it would make your head spin. Tell me what Steve Jobs did other than making shiny expensive toys ?

This post was too much, I couldn't take it.

I had to comment.

My comments are in red

NewAnger
Jul 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
PLEASE Apple... If you know what's good for you, call it "iPhone". Then we can stop these pages and pages of endless rants!

I only have the guts to say this because I can't get down-voted any more :D

Just like the New iPad. It's not called the new iPad, it is just the iPad. It is just referred to as the new iPad to differentiate it between the old iPad. If they announce it as the New iPhone, of course it's the new iPhone because it's not the old one. It's still called the iPhone.

It's no different that asking someone if they saw the new Cadillac.

StellarSoul
Jul 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Just thought I'd weigh in on a few things.

I really do feel that design is quite disgusting. It's very 'un apple', particularly the two toned back. I am not getting that anxious about it being the final design at this point though because I'm remembering back to what happened before the 4s launch last year, and how certain most people were that we were going to get a teardrop shaped phone. We all know what happened with that. Months worth of rumours were proven to be false with the unveiling of the 4s. There seems to be a larger volume of rumours that go around about the iPhone than any other product and most of them are very hard to believe.

I don't understand why there's no much tension around the naming of this device. To me it is clear, it will just be 'iPhone', much in the same way the newest iPad is called 'iPad'. I really feel Apple is trying to shake the pattern of naming their devices numerically. Personally I think it will sound pretty weird in a decades time walking into an Apple store and asking for an 'iPhone 14s' and that's the primary reason I think they're ditching the numbers. It works REALLY well with the Mac products, you don't go around saying that you have a MacBook Air 4. You just say you have a MacBook Air and people know what you're talking about. Apple don't want confusion with all these variations on their products, they want their current one to be front and centre and that's all there is to it. Just one iPhone, the iPhone.

Ok, so the other big issue being discussed here is screen size. I'm probably on the outer about this. Firstly, I'm one of the rare people who actually think the current iPhone screen size is great. Sure it looks small compared to Android devices, but in terms of ergonomics, it's absolutely perfect for what I need. If I want a bigger screen, I'll use an iPad or Mac. There's definitely advantages to larger screens of course. More real estate, easier on the eyes in some ways etc. But being able to comfortably access all of the 4s's screen with one of my thumbs is just so awesome to me. These devices SHOULD be small and compact. They are phones, not tablets. Samsung, HTC etc are just trying to differentiate themselves from Apple with the oldest trick in the book. Bigger is better. I wonder if Apple will succumb to their pressure and increase size. If they do it I think it will be for one reason, that they genuinely believe it creates a better user experience for the consumer. Apple do not easily succumb as can be seen in their notebooks. Most of them have a 16:10 ratio which is different from nearly every other notebook out there which have 16:9 aspect ratios. Clearly 16:10 is slightly more antiquated looking if comparing to other laptops, but it's also obviously a better user experience with much larger real estate!

applefanDrew
Jul 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Any truth to Apple having an event Aug 7th to reveal the new iPhone?

Or is this more hype?

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1482786/iphone_5_official_release_date_revealed_as_august_7.html

Daleynple already killed this. No, that info is false.

sulpfiction
Jul 14, 2012, 05:17 PM

Yeah, iPhone 6.

I was wondering how long it would take me to reach the rediculous "its not iPhone 5" posts. Didn't take too long.

The iPhone 5 moniker is the most widely used term to describe the next iPhone. When someone says "iPhone 5", everyone knows exactly what it means. So please stop it with these posts. Who cares what it's called. And more then likely, it's just going to be the new "iPhone" anyway. But again, WHO FREAKIN CARES!!!

NedBookPro
Jul 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
they need to stop being lazy and innovate again. adding simply more "apps" that are mostly just partnered programs "yielp ...." wont cut it for too long. see what happened to nokia and bberry?

i know people dont really care about personal experience on here but of my friends im the only one left with an iPhone. everyone else who used to have an iphone switched to samsung or htc (hell i cant even stand htc)

i love my mac and my ipad but if i wouldnt be so tied to the iCloud and apple ecosystem i may have jumped ship along with them

There's some hard reality to this... Most people I know are heading the same way. Jumping ship to Samsung. The larger display is what they want... not the tired old iphone form factor. I had a look and play with an S3, and it's not stuttery and jerky like it used to be. It's becoming a very slick product.

Personally I think it's understandable that people would want to change.
Apple really need to try to keep ahead of the game.
Instead of them being leaders, it will be apple playing catch-up to Samsung. Sadly this may have already started.

swagi
Jul 14, 2012, 05:22 PM

You should really try one of those new Droids. Man this SG3 in my hand really rocks. Get all your essential stuff on Dropbox, Picasa and the like and become platform agnostic again! It's really worth it!

Rizzn
Jul 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
I don't see how "New" would work for either the ipad or iphone. What do they do next year? Are they going to call them "Newer?" I think they should copy the auto industry and use the year as part of their name. My iphone "4s" should be called "iphone, 2011" The one that we're all waiting for then would be called: "iphone, 2012."Makes sense to me.

At some point through the lifecycle of the product they're probably going to drop the "new" title. There would only ever be one "new" product at a time with a gap in between the titles of "new" products so people don't get confused. It could definitely be less confusing though.

oneMadRssn
Jul 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
I think they are already seriously lagging behind. And what we've seen so far of the iPhone 5 isn't very encouraging. I don;t know why apple are so opposed to making the iphone a bit bigger, these larger 4/4.5" Android phones are flying off the shelf - so consumers obviously want them and are not put off by the larger size.

I think you're confusing correlation here. Android phones with large screens aren't flying off the shelf because of the big screen, it's just that the only Android phones worth buying happen to have large screens. The only Android phones with 3.5-4" screens are low-spec'ed and cheap.

I believe there is large group of people who would rather not have a 5" screens. They're buying these large phones because there isn't really any other option (except for the iphone).

whateverandever
Jul 14, 2012, 05:33 PM

Yeah, it'll be called the iPhone 6 alright. Idiots.

No one is saying it's going to be called the iPhone 6. We're saying it is the iPhone 6 and doesn't make sense to be called the iPhone 5. Chances are good they're dropping the numbers altogether like they did with the iPad.

Tim Cook doesn't take questions. And saying "it's the 6th generation iPhone" would completely satisfy the question if indeed someone did ask him in a rare interview.

Rizzn
Jul 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
There's some hard reality to this... Most people I know are heading the same way. Jumping ship to Samsung. The larger display is what they want... not the tired old iphone form factor. I had a look and play with an S3, and it's not stuttery and jerky like it used to be. It's becoming a very slick product.

Personally I think it's understandable that people would want to change.
Apple really need to try to keep ahead of the game.
Instead of them being leaders, it will be apple playing catch-up to Samsung. Sadly this may have already started.

If some of the new iOS 6 UIs are a testament to the future of Apple design, then they're only going to fall farther behind.

One of the major things I'm talking about is the new iPod layout. It's a step backward IMO.

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
It's no different that asking someone if they saw the new Cadillac.

Which new Cadillac? The XTS or ATS? ;)

Lancer
Jul 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
I don't think the 2 tone back will be a big issue for most, considering most are likely to wear a cover for protection.

Just hope I can afford one to replace my 3Gs :)

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
At some point through the lifecycle of the product they're probably going to drop the "new" title. There would only ever be one "new" product at a time with a gap in between the titles of "new" products so people don't get confused. It could definitely be less confusing though.

They're doing just fine every time they introduce a new MacBook, iMac, Mac Pro, etc. and call them the new MacBook, etc. for about a month. Nobody seems to get confused. Eventually they go by generation or year in Apple Support.

cvaldes
Jul 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
As I already said, calling it the iPhone 6 would be idiotic and would confuse the general public. It's more likely to be called the iPhone 4G or 'The new iPhone' than the iPhone 6.
Yeah, it's more likely they just call it "the new iPhone."

After all, that's what did with the third-generation iPad.

It isn't likely that they would call it the iPhone 4G unless the cellular hardware supports LTE worldwide. They already had to remove the 4G marketing references in Australia for the third-generation iPad since the device does not work with their LTE frequencies, just AT&T's and Verizon's.

Anyhow, what Apple finally ends up calling it will be one of the least interesting aspects of the device, something destined to end up being one line in a Wikipedia entry in the not-too-distant future.

I'm not surprised that it's a topic of discussion here at MacRumors though.

Rizzn
Jul 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, it's more likely they just call it "the new iPhone."

After all, that's what did with the third-generation iPad.

It isn't likely that they would call it the iPhone 4G unless the cellular hardware supports LTE worldwide. They already had to remove the 4G marketing references in Australia for the third-generation iPad since the device does not work with their LTE frequencies, just AT&T's and Verizon's.

Anyhow, what Apple finally ends up calling it will be one of the least interesting aspects of the device, something destined to end up being one line in a Wikipedia entry in the not-too-distant future.

I'm not surprised that it's a topic of discussion here at MacRumors though.

Calling it the 4G would certainly work from a marketing stand point. It worked for the Evo 4G. I wonder how many people still think they're getting 4G speeds when they've never even had it once.

I think it'll be "the new iPhone" though.

cvaldes
Jul 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
Again, they might get into trouble if they prominently market the device as "4G" yet aren't compatible with the LTE networks throughout the world.

If they can cram in an LTE chip with the filters and power amps to support the various 4G frequencies being used through the world, yeah, the "iPhone 4G" name might be fine.

I'm not sure it really matters much. iPhone sales growth is shifting to countries that haven't been strong smartphone markets before.

Shade12
Jul 14, 2012, 06:09 PM

Don't trust the Chinese web sites. Might be wrong

pipa
Jul 14, 2012, 06:11 PM

I think the phone looks incredible. I do a lot of gaming and I guess I'm looking at that side of it as well. The thinner, longer design is perfect and it answers my only issue with the 4,4s which was screen size. Bring it On

ixodes
Jul 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
Ok, so the other big issue being discussed here is screen size. I'm probably on the outer about this. Firstly, I'm one of the rare people who actually think the current iPhone screen size is great. Sure it looks small compared to Android devices, but in terms of ergonomics, it's absolutely perfect for what I need. If I want a bigger screen, I'll use an iPad or Mac.
I'm not posting to challenge you or argue, simply to offer another take on screen size.

I'm a very mobile user, that chooses a smartphone for what they are designed to do. That's to give us easy access to our email, our calendar, contacts, the web, and messaging. When one travels as much as I do, having a device that I can have in hand, or in a case on my belt, or in my pocket, is extremely advantageous.

I know this based on the fact that I have two lines, and carry both an iPhone 4S and my new SGS III with it's 4.8" display. Until you've tried one, it's hard to imagine just how beneficial a larger display is.

I stand in line at the airport, at the concessions, or wherever and as such, having a smartphone with a larger display makes it a whole lot easier on ones eyes (and I have 20/20, no glasses) when it's used so frequently throughout the day.

Yet in reading your post, it just hit me... by keeping the size down, besides all the reasons people have for liking that size, it does give someone like me, incentive to buy an iPad. Yet that's no where as easy to use when standing, carrying a bag, etc when moving around, being in a taxi for a short drive etc.

It had never occurred to me until now, that Apple's motivation could very well be just that. By keeping the iPhone rather small, the incentive to buy an iPad is huge.

gatortpk
Jul 14, 2012, 06:43 PM

Actually, the iPhone 4GS seems more likely than just 4G. Though, I think it'll be called the new iPhone. People haven't had a problem with the new iPad naming much. Perhaps the new iPhone could eventually be called the quad-core iPhone (if it has a quad core CPU), or the tall iPhone (for the taller 16:9 ratio screen). "New" is less than a year, but there is only one first quad-core or tall iPhone.

greytmom
Jul 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
I have personally met hundred of persons who didn't buy the Iphone4S just because of the name.

You have personally met hundreds of people who didn't buy the iPhone 4S just because of the name? Where do you hang out?

Cdaddy112
Jul 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
I find the mockups of this phone... unsatisfying... I really need to see what this actually looks like, because I'm not sure how I feel about the design, based on the speculative mockups... But, with a fall release, I suppose we won't have to wait too long...

It seems very likely this is the design we will see this fall, the sad part is this sorry excuse for a re-design will be around when the next iPhone is released next year as well, since apple only refreshes the hardware after a new design

StellarSoul
Jul 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not posting to challenge you or argue, simply to offer another take on screen size.

I'm a very mobile user, that chooses a smartphone for what they are designed to do. That's to give us easy access to our email, our calendar, contacts, the web, and messaging. When one travels as much as I do, having a device that I can have in hand, or in a case on my belt, or in my pocket, is extremely advantageous.

I know this based on the fact that I have two lines, and carry both an iPhone 4S and my new SGS III with it's 4.8" display. Until you've tried one, it's hard to imagine just how beneficial a larger display is.

I stand in line at the airport, at the concessions, or wherever and as such, having a smartphone with a larger display makes it a whole lot easier on ones eyes (and I have 20/20, no glasses) when it's used so frequently throughout the day.

Yet in reading your post, it just hit me... by keeping the size down, besides all the reasons people have for liking that size, it does give someone like me, incentive to buy an iPad. Yet that's no where as easy to use when standing, carrying a bag, etc when moving around, being in a taxi for a short drive etc.

It had never occurred to me until now, that Apple's motivation could very well be just that. By keeping the iPhone rather small, the incentive to buy an iPad is huge.

Interesting food for thought there Ixodes. I have used an S3 in a store, but can't say I'm mobile enough to need a screen that big. My iPhone is only used for calling, texting, twitter, flipboard and thats about it. Everything else I do, I do on my iPad or Mac.

It's possible that they'll reach a middle ground between both of our positions and just elongate it slightly so it's longer and not wider. I do like this idea as it would allow the iPhone to have the same number of icon rows an iPad has without it becoming too wide to use comfortably, which I think the Android phones suffer from.

I also think that at the September iPhone launch keynote they will introduce an iPad mini. That would be a huge hit. I'm not saying people don't want devices sized between the phone and the iPad, in fact I think people want them badly, but what I am saying is, for MOST people, phones/personal assistant devices should be small because they need to be ultra portable and fit in your pocket/hand comfortably.

To me, the bigger phones are really the manufacturers trying to sneak into the tablet market because their actual tablets are failing.

AliClifton
Jul 14, 2012, 07:04 PM

http://cdn.ipadworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iPhone-5-black-mockup-314x156.jpg

my word that's a sexy looking phone, here's hoping

kiwiboi87
Jul 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
i wouldn't be expecting it till late sep early oct, like last year.

i like the two tone, its different. people will know its a iPhone,

ixodes
Jul 14, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just came across this from another Apple site, if true, my iPhone 4S will look just like the new ones give or take a few mm in length. It won't matter what they call it, they all look the same. :)

****************kdIlU

snowcrash
Jul 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wow again over 100 posts and no real talk about the phone, just more naming posts. Holy crap! Talk about beating a dead horse.

Here is my thought on the new iPhone. If these mockups are correct and it's slightly longer, has 4G, another little "S" type spec bump and mini connector, I'm pretty sure I will not be upgrading from the 4S. I only went from the 4 to the 4S for SIRI. Right now my 4S is awesome. Works with my car (special 30pin Y-Cable), works with my living room dock, computer room dock, clock radio beside my bed dock, etc. So if the truth about a smaller connector is true that in itself will cost me money or wait times for getting new cables to work with various stuff I have lying around as well. Also from having iOS6 for a bit now it's pretty solid but looking at it from a consumer not a fanboy what will be the draw over people who have a 4/4S to switch?

I can just see trying to explain this to someone who asks me "Hey you're a Apple geek, tell me about this new iPhone that's out how is it different then my 4S"
Me: "Well, it's longer, so you get another whole row of apps"
Them: "I like the size now"
Me: "You get 4G so it's faster"
Them: "It's not available in my area"

I have had every iPhone on launch day since the original launch day but really not excited about this one. I admit I did want a larger screen but also for landscape browsing, txt and email, to me this looks like it will still be cut off by the keyboard unless they make some strange long keyboard. I honestly think upgrading to the 4S was a waste of money. SIRI is great (esp now that I have it working with my new car and it can read and send txts). I don't really see the "WOW" factor anymore. Hopefully the rumors, betas are leaving that "wow factor" hush hush because this is the first time since the first one that I will probably skip.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong and they pull something out of their hat but I really think that I would be fine with my 4S for another year and even people with a 4 would be also.

kiljoy616
Jul 14, 2012, 07:19 PM
More Glass less Metal Apple!

Mackan
Jul 14, 2012, 07:30 PM

And what will the iPhones be called after this 'The New iPhone'? It's much simpler if they just go with a number scheme, unless they want to give a real name to the iPhone, like HTC does with their phones.

The New iPhone? The New iPad? Silly names that don't make sense.

ConnYoungy
Jul 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
Id quite like it if they just switched to the years, like I have a MacBook Pro 2011, why not iPhone 2012?

What will they call the next iPad? the new NEW iPad?

The Apple Boy
Jul 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
My guesses:
1. Apple will NOT use the rumored two-tone back;
2. The new device will NOT be called iPhone 5, it will be called "the New iPhone" :D

We will see how it goes... :apple:

StellarSoul
Jul 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Wow again over 100 posts and no real talk about the phone, just more naming posts. Holy crap! Talk about beating a dead horse.

Here is my thought on the new iPhone. If these mockups are correct and it's slightly longer, has 4G, another little "S" type spec bump and mini connector, I'm pretty sure I will not be upgrading from the 4S. I only went from the 4 to the 4S for SIRI. Right now my 4S is awesome. Works with my car (special 30pin Y-Cable), works with my living room dock, computer room dock, clock radio beside my bed dock, etc. So if the truth about a smaller connector is true that in itself will cost me money or wait times for getting new cables to work with various stuff I have lying around as well. Also from having iOS6 for a bit now it's pretty solid but looking at it from a consumer not a fanboy what will be the draw over people who have a 4/4S to switch?

I can just see trying to explain this to someone who asks me "Hey you're a Apple geek, tell me about this new iPhone that's out how is it different then my 4S"
Me: "Well, it's longer, so you get another whole row of apps"
Them: "I like the size now"
Me: "You get 4G so it's faster"
Them: "It's not available in my area"

I have had every iPhone on launch day since the original launch day but really not excited about this one. I admit I did want a larger screen but also for landscape browsing, txt and email, to me this looks like it will still be cut off by the keyboard unless they make some strange long keyboard. I honestly think upgrading to the 4S was a waste of money. SIRI is great (esp now that I have it working with my new car and it can read and send txts). I don't really see the "WOW" factor anymore. Hopefully the rumors, betas are leaving that "wow factor" hush hush because this is the first time since the first one that I will probably skip.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong and they pull something out of their hat but I really think that I would be fine with my 4S for another year and even people with a 4 would be also.

I think we've left the realm of revolutionary with smart phones for a while now. I don't believe Apple can do a whole lot more on the iPhone that's really gonna WOW people in the short term. Kinda the same with the iPad for now actually. Once Retina's in them, Siri too, and the camera's are HD, there's only so much you can do. Here's what I predict we'll see in September.

1) New, faster, smaller dock connector (I personally want this as I think the current dock connector is way too susceptible to water damage).
2) Bigger screen (almost definitely 16x9, which will be great for movies).
3) Better cameras.
4) Faster processor with better graphics.
5) More RAM.
6) Haptic feedback (this could be big if done right).
7) Thinner and lighter (of course).
8) LTE.

As mentioned, Apple have gone all out in 2012 in terms of the iPad, MacBooks and now iPhone. I predict that interest will plateau with those products soon and they will divert attention in 2013 to the iTV (or whatever it's going to be called) and iMac redesigns with retina. Next year will be all about the big screens.

mtcowdog
Jul 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
I think apple will pack in serious performance hardware in the next iPhone. Quad core processor with industry leading gpu. That's something to think about. And who knows, maybe an improved screen technology, brighter, better color accuracy, whatever. And apple knows this design well. I expect their antenna design will provide excellent reception. The next iPhone can be a great phone, even with a modest screen size change in an ongoing design.

But what I really hope for is a phone that starts to change the game with US wireless companies. How about one phone that will work across all carriers? The new 28nm qualcomm LTE chipset rumored to be in the next iPhone has great potential. It may be a pipe dream, but I would love to have a phone that would work on AT&T or Verizon or Sprint or Tmobile or ... This would empower users more than some gimmicky feature set that plays to the iOS v. android war.

edit: and September would be wonderful for release.

vvebsta
Jul 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
I couldn't care less what the back of the phone looks like because as soon as it's out of the box its going into a nice comfy case. All I care about is the screen and the additions to ios.

ChrisTX
Jul 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
This design is growing on me. Hope they are indeed thinking an earlier launch. Still rocking the 3gs and I am definitely in need of an upgrade!

You're a trooper for holding on to your 3GS for so long. I'm sure you will be heavily rewarded for your wait with the awesome new iPhone. :D

Medic311
Jul 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
this new iPhone launch, combined with Apple's upcoming deal in 2013 Q1 with China's largest mobile carrier means that profits are going to be truly something for AAPL

i have the iPhone 4S 32GB but if this upcoming generation is good enough, i would consider buying it full price and flipping mine on craiglist

Shade12
Jul 14, 2012, 08:15 PM
Don't get excited lets see what features it will have. :) ok dude

silroc
Jul 14, 2012, 08:16 PM

I agree 100% and I am in same situation

SAL8116
Jul 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
Nobody really cares what Apple chooses to call it, except internet trolls, which are a very vocal uber-minority. Hence the name troll.

Rocketman

Thank you!!! I just care that the phone is current and works as advertised and fits my needs.

Indy21
Jul 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
Haven't read the whole thread yet but here's my quick prediction...

Fall begins September 22nd, SoOoO...

Keynote on first week of Fall, probably a Tuesday, so the 25th with announcements for price drop on the 4s, smaller iPad dubbed "iPad Touch" and *drumroll* the new iPhone dubbed .... "The New iPhone".

And of course more ios6 goodness all launching together either the Friday (28th) of that week or early October.

Oh and I think the iPod touch is going away to be replaced by this "iPad Touch".

Mark it on your calendars now and start saving those coins! lol

Jynto
Jul 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
/s

That pic must be the real deal. Just look at that updated Apple logo!

/s

Is that a screw in the apple? I'm guessing it symbolises that the company is screwed, or something.

MythicFrost
Jul 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
The two tone design may be for the antennas at the top and bottom? Glass would allow for a stronger signal, no?

cmChimera
Jul 14, 2012, 08:29 PM

Don't you think releasing an iPhone 6 would confuse the general public? "Wait... if there's an iPhone 6, what was the iPhone 5?" "Was the 4S renamed the 5 then?" "Why did they skip the 5?". The general public don't give a **** about WHY they named the 3G the 3G, or why they named the 4 the 4. Calling it the iPhone 6 would confuse everyone.

And why is the 4S considered as a whole generation if it's just a spec bump from the 4? Wouldn't that make it more of a 4.5 than a whole new generation? It still has the 4 name. Just because you were confused, doesn't mean the general public would be confused. It's pretty simple actually, 6 phones. The sixth one is the iPhone 6.

That said, they'll get rid of numbers. It'll be iPhone or iPhone LTE.

The two tone design may be for the antennas at the top and bottom? Glass would allow for a stronger signal, no? That's been speculated. Makes sense.

AFDoc
Jul 14, 2012, 08:33 PM
Jesus, why do some people on here get so upset about a stupid name? Who cares what it's going to be called? And if you actually care so much: Just wait til fall and you will see and can then beat each other up.

Ridiculous.

I've been noticing this is a pretty typical theme here on MR. Drama, drama, drama! I have never seen so many threads with people complaining about such insignificant details of daily life. If you can't decide which phone to buy, case to buy, charger to use, screen protector to use, ect ect you will have a very hard time in life. You will actually need to make real decisions like which life insurance to buy, which mortgage to undertake, and for some which treatment may or may not save a life. My advice to some is to grow up, get involved in the world around you, make a difference in someones life as much as possible and don't worry about what the next iPhone will be named, it has no bearing in your life and when you find out what the name is there will be NO revelation in your life. No answers to the questions you have except what the new phone will be named.

snowcrash
Jul 14, 2012, 08:33 PM
1) New, faster, smaller dock connector (I personally want this as I think the current dock connector is way too susceptible to water damage).
3) Better cameras.
5) More RAM.
8) LTE.

Yeah that's my issue. Doesn't seem worth the upgrade from a perfectly fine 4S. Maybe if I skipped the 4S the jump from a 4 to a 5 would seem more tempting. I'm not being a brat saying "This stinks!!!! I want it to do EVERYTHING" Because I really like my 4S! It rocks and I'm a huge fanboy of it. Just overall the 4 gave me a "WOW!!", the 4S gave me a kinda "that's cool" and the 5 is giving me an "ehh kinda seems like a 4S.5" Maybe you're right and we are kind of at that plateau place now and might take a few more gens to get that WOW factor back.

The reliability is what keeps me here. I know when I see flashy "other phone" commercials and I get that "WOW that's SICK I want it!!!" Feeling I know it's not going to work as good in my Apple Ecosystem so I quickly enjoy what I have and it's seamless integration into my life. Just want more WOW from Apple.

Though in reality they will probably sell me on it anyway and I'll be right here saying "yeah not sure I want the iPhone 5S this year" hahahaha

quagmire
Jul 14, 2012, 08:34 PM
The two tone design may be for the antennas at the top and bottom? Glass would allow for a stronger signal, no?

If Apple sticks with the 4's antenna design, the steel band is the antenna. So having an all aluminum back wouldn't affect signal strength.

Radio
Jul 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
fake

apple would never release something with seams

bobenhaus
Jul 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He managed a two tier worldwide iPad3 rollout. I would expect a WORLDWIDE iPhone 5 rollout with massive release inventory to handle surge demand. Mid-October release.

On a pure supply chain basis this will be a thing of B-school studies for years.

And I was criticized for saying buy AAPL in July-August back in the dark days of April and May . . . .

Rocketman

Tim Cook is turning Apple into the new Compaq of the future. Makes sense by looking at all the designs coming from Apple.

nw9
Jul 14, 2012, 08:58 PM

You've given some good examples of why a larger phone is beneficial. Like you I don't like carrying my laptop or an iPad around. Neither of them are very convenient to bring with me everywhere. A smartphone has completely changed the way I do things and part of that reason is that I always have it with me so I tend to use it more in my daily life.

Since I use it often as a smartphone rather than just for phone calls I constantly notice how small the screen is for other smartphone usage. Websites alone is the bane to small screen smartphone usage. Many websites still don't have a mobile version of their website and the ones that do aren't always good.

I personally would enjoy a larger iPhone screen. It's similar to how many people like larger screen TVs compared to smaller TVs. The experience is more enjoyable, but just like TVs there is too big, too small, and just the perfect size. The problem is the perfect size is different for everyone and since Apple thinks one-size-fits-all in iPhones we will always have this arguing of screen sizes. I prefer a larger screen. Some don't. It doesn't mean either one of us is wrong.

iPods have different sizes. Apple's laptops have different sizes. The iMac has different sizes. If the rumors are true, then the iPad will have another size to choose from. Why not with the iPhone? The rumored stretched iPhone seems to be a compromise trying to make both sides happy, but it really doesn't make either side truly happy since it's either not big enough or it's too big for some.

The way I see it, the iPad and iPhone are used in two different ways and give the user a different experience. Even a 4.8" smartphone doesn't give me that nice large screen experience as an iPad does. The way I use an iPad is different than the way I use a smartphone.

The iPad is no where near as portable as the iPhone, which is something we have both already mentioned. I've read a report about how many iPad users mostly or only use their devices at home. My iPhone is the device I use the most so an iPad does not replace the benefits of a larger screen iPhone.

In my opinion the perfect sized smartphone is somewhere between 4"-4.3" but it needs to be both wider and taller than the current iPhone. Even a 7" iPad isn't the same in my opinion. It's still too big, in my opinion, to be a take it everywhere with me device, so I would buy both for different reasons.

ad2435
Jul 14, 2012, 08:59 PM

it should be called the iphone 5 since this phone should have been released a year ago.

GorgonPhone
Jul 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
so looks like we are getting and i-phone 4S2:( oh well as long as the screen is bigger i will be happy

Mattsasa
Jul 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
My pet peve is people calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5! I hate it. It will probably just be called "iPhone" or "the new iPhone"

Rennir
Jul 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
My pet peve is people calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5! I hate it. It will probably just be called "iPhone" or "the new iPhone"

So what do you think about the leaked photos of the new iPhone 5?

cvaldes
Jul 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
I've been noticing this is a pretty typical theme here on MR. Drama, drama, drama! I have never seen so many threads with people complaining about such insignificant details of daily life.
It's a maturity thing. Most MR commenters are teenagers or college kids. Just look at the number of threads that include the phrase "my father's"/"my brother's"/"my uncle's". Those are basically kids who don't have their own credit cards, don't make their own rent payments, don't pay for their own cellular service.

Then read what those people think Apple should do to run their business. It's a joke. These kids have zero understanding about the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing nor the design process of such items. When they post what the next ___ should be, it's typically a laundry list of completely unattainable items in a configuration that is crushingly expensive and would appeal to a handful of users.

Yes, those are the people who insist the next Apple handset will be called the "iPhone 5".

They are also the people who think that the next iOS will be released on a quarterly fiscal conference call date, etc.

Just think as MacRumors as a science fiction blog, very loosely based on the adventures of Apple Inc.

This place is far more entertaining than Battlestar Galactica, Serenity, etc.

However, if you really want to see truly pathetic online behavior, check out Yahoo Answers. It's an unmitigated train wreck.

It's populated by teenagers who are wondering if they are too fat/ugly, a bunch of hungover idiots who dropped their cellphones into the toilet while completely smashed the night before (and are looking for ways to "fix" their phone), plus the requisite dolts who apparently don't know how to use Google or how to read an owner's manual.

----------

it should be called the iphone 5 since this phone should have been released a year ago.
Despite the lack of a suitable LTE chip at the time?

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!

I am mildly surprised, but nonetheless pleased to see that it is standup comedy night here at MacRumors.

b166er
Jul 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm really shocked more people don't have a strong opinion on what they think the next iPhone will be called.

James Howlett
Jul 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
What about iPhone LTE. Not confusing to customers as it is already being used and branded, and Apple has made the distinction with the iPad with LTE. It skips the numbers and actually falls within a naming scheme(iPhone 3G ) but yeah I would put money on it not being the 5

Gjwilly
Jul 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
If Apple sticks with the 4's antenna design, the steel band is the antenna. So having an all aluminum back wouldn't affect signal strength.

Wrong.
An all-metal back would short the two antennas just like your hand did on the iPhone 4.
The glass, or something else non-condutive is absolutely necessary.

H2SO4
Jul 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
This post was too much, I couldn't take it.

I had to comment.

My comments are in red

I think you'll find that Apple do make a lot of donations. They just don't make a habit of shouting about it. Unlike you.

blackcrayon
Jul 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
What about iPhone LTE. Not confusing to customers as it is already being used and branded, and Apple has made the distinction with the iPad with LTE. It skips the numbers and actually falls within a naming scheme(iPhone 3G ) but yeah I would put money on it not being the 5

Wouldn't that just mess it up so they can get sued (similar to the iPad '4G') in markets that don't support LTE? Plain old "iPhone" it is.

cdmoore74
Jul 14, 2012, 11:00 PM

Let me rephrase your statement.

They need to release it in September. Actually they should have released it at the same time the Samsung Galaxy 3 was released. But Apple is too worried about banning a Samsung tablet that was already replaced with a newer model which in turn has been thrown under the rug by the Nexus 7.

SprodeBoy
Jul 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Oh.. and one more thing. THE NEW IPHONE 2!!!!
....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

blackcrayon
Jul 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Let me rephrase your statement.

They need to release it in September. Actually they should have released it at the same time the Samsung Galaxy 3 was released. But Apple is too worried about banning a Samsung tablet that was already replaced with a newer model which in turn has been thrown under the rug by the Nexus 7.

I don't follow the logic. Is that another one of those "Apple can either utilize their lawyers or their engineers, but not both" lines of reasoning?

Mad-B-One
Jul 14, 2012, 11:14 PM

You must be a developer... How they iterate their generations at Apple is their own forte. If they have dev cycles they don't count as "full" new development, they skip whatever you count. They can do it. You can call it stupid, but in the end, most here call it the iPhone 5 - just because it's the most convenient. :cool:

Jamesesesesess
Jul 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Just because you were confused, doesn't mean the general public would be confused. It's pretty simple actually, 6 phones. The sixth one is the iPhone 6.

That said, they'll get rid of numbers. It'll be iPhone or iPhone LTE.

What? How am I confused? :o

It isn't pretty simple, people will be expecting the iPhone 5. That's why all of the news sites are calling it, the iPhone 5. That's why people that ask me about when it's coming out, call it the iPhone 5. Just today my dad's girlfriend asked me when the iPhone 5 is coming out.

The iPhone 6 would be stupid from a marketing standpoint because the first question people would be asking is what happened to the (nonexistent) iPhone 5.

deadlystriker
Jul 14, 2012, 11:23 PM

Really wish I could have downvoted this post.

blow45
Jul 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
I refuse to believe that that atrocity is going to be the iPhone 5. I really hope it's just a red herring...

I'm expecting some new iPhone to come out this fall though, early upgrade anyone? lol.

if it's not a red herring (and if it is one then it's the most masterfully designed pr stunt ever, planted "leaks" and all) then surely this has got to be the worst (non) redesign ever, for it truly is an atrocity.

----------

It isn't pretty simple, people will be expecting the iPhone 5. That's why all of the news sites are calling it, the iPhone 5. That's why people that ask me about when it's coming out, call it the iPhone 5. Just today my dad's girlfriend asked me when the iPhone 5 is coming out.

The iPhone 6 would be stupid from a marketing standpoint because the first question people would be asking is what happened to the (nonexistent) iPhone 5.

this is going to be the new iphone, the are dropping the 5,6,7 etc. a la ipad.

Indy21
Jul 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
Good.

Goodbye.

lol :p

I really hope they step up there game with this one. iPhone is starting to lag behind the competition.

I keep reading this day in, day out. How is Apple 'lagging' behind when they haven't released their new model for the year yet?

3) Better cameras.
5) More RAM.
8) LTE.

You forgot 9) Better battery life. Now that's a great list! :D

And honestly, I think another "wow" factor of a new iPhone would be a huge camera upgrade of some sort. Compact camera's are becoming a thing of the past with most folks having the convenience of a 'do-it-all' device handy in thier pocket these days.

I don't know of many compact digital camera's out there that can seemlessly take a photo, load it up to facebook, text, email, etc... on the fly, all within about 20 seconds or less!

Actually I think Apple could make a killer stand alone compact camera/camcorder if they focused enough on making one. But then again, why not just take that mindset towards a future iPhone version?

You're a trooper for holding on to your 3GS for so long. I'm sure you will be heavily rewarded for your wait with the awesome new iPhone. :D

I'm still on the 3GS bandwagon as well, lol. And mine has had a busted screen since last October with the shards of glass being held in place by a sheet of tape!

C'mon new iPhone! I've been saving for months now anticipating this! :D

MuddyPaws1
Jul 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
Based on the leaked parts, I am very disappointed. I have had every iPhone since the original and had all them on launch day. I almost didn't do the 4S because the screen wasn't bigger and to me there just isn't any real life difference between the 4 and 4S. Updates were just too minor. Siri is a novelty but only works about 40% of the time.

Not getting a bigger screen in both directions will be a deal breaker for me. A taller skinny phone just looks stupid.

As far as the name goes, I believe they will go the route of their other devices and just call it the iPhone. But if they add a number it makes more sense to put the 5 on it. Not because of any generation or anything else. Just because it fits their naming scheme.

I don't see why people would be so up in arms about it. I also don't see how there is any logic in demanding that since it is the 6th generation that it MUST be called the 6. The 5th phone wasn't called the 5, the third wasn't called the 3 and the second wasn't called the 2. The naming has nothing to do with generation and it is just silly to call it the 6. Not one post on here that demands it is the 6th generation so therefore it must be called the 6 has addressed the absence of the 5. If it MUST MUST MUST be called the 6 because it is the 6th generation, then why wasn't the 4S called the 5?

The iPad dropped the numbers....I think that's silly and confuses people and sales staff. The Apple TV 2 kept the same number but changed. So now if you are at the store then you need to watch what you are buying. Wal-Mart is selling the Apple TV 2 but it's the old one with lower resolution.

blow45
Jul 14, 2012, 11:35 PM
I don't follow the logic. Is that another one of those "Apple can either utilize their lawyers or their engineers, but not both" lines of reasoning?

That's the kind of logic that goes if they hired more engineers instead of lawyers (and the average lawyer I am sure gets paid as much as 5 engineers...) they would have taken this to market faster. Or programmers for that matter.

It's the kind of logic that says that a company has finite resources and if they plan to sue everyone on the globe these resources are allocated from one department to the other.

It's the same kind of logic that goes if they 'd hired more programmers instead of hiring more lawyers maybe ios 6 would actually have some features worth talking about, as in finally getting to the point where the interface doesn't look like that of a phone from 6 years ago, as in widgets, live updating apps, customizable screens with multi app information etc.

Glad I could enlighten you. :)

golf1410
Jul 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
The last Steve jobs's work. I am in.

londonhogfan
Jul 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
so I guessing the back will look like the imac where the black edge around the screen meets the metal chin? It wouldn't look that bad. Hopefully the apple logo is black glass too.

blow45
Jul 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
why, is the chin is the epitome of good design and taste? Instead of the chin going away on the imac it's being superimposed on the phone as a design element?

singhjeet29
Jul 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
I haven't really been keeping up much with processor tech, but will the A15 architecture be ready for implementation for the next iPhone. I would think Apple would want to be one of the first to implement them.

syndalis
Jul 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
iPhone 4Gs ?

The new iPhone?

chokem
Jul 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Someone, if not Apple will have to give it a numerical designation. What will they call the generation after this new one comes out? The newest new iPhone? :D

thelink
Jul 15, 2012, 12:19 AM
Forget it. Let's just call it iPhone 12. :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Jul 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
the sooner the better. so hopefully September. we'll see i guess

Funkymonk
Jul 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
God I hope we don't get the same tired old design that's just a bit taller.

Patriot24
Jul 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
Two tone back = inductive charging.

The new, smaller "dock connector" may be aimed more at data transfer than charging as a result/consequence of.

lilo777
Jul 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
The last Steve jobs's work. I am in.

Are you sure this one is the last? I suspect that just like with this one Apple will say that Steve was working on the next model as well.

trustme
Jul 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
Wow you losers have nothing better to do than discuss wth apple is gonna call their next iPhone? Get a freaking life.

Patriks7
Jul 15, 2012, 01:44 AM
It's obviously going to be "the new iPhone"...

AppleBoyFreak
Jul 15, 2012, 01:52 AM
Wow you losers have nothing better to do than discuss wth apple is gonna call their next iPhone? Get a freaking life.

This is an iPhone forum? What did you expect us to do, argue about how much of a douche you sounded?

Jamesesesesess
Jul 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
Really wish I could have downvoted this post.

If you would've bother to read my other posts in this thread, you would know what I meant.

A**hole :rolleyes:

blow45
Jul 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
Two tone back = inductive charging.

The new, smaller "dock connector" may be aimed more at data transfer than charging as a result/consequence of.

I don't really get the point of inductive charging. If you are to leave the device on an area somewhere you might as well plug it. Sure it's cooler and more techy like but what are the actual benefits of it in terms of ease of use? If you pick the phone up you are not going to be charging anymore, unlike the cable.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2012, 02:00 AM
iPhone 5.

It's a new design released after the last redesign, the iPhone 4.

And I haven't been following the rumours, but this thing better have at least a 4.3" screen. It's such a good size. The Galaxy S3's screen, which is like 4.8" in size, may be too big for some. That's OK for companies like Samsung to release, but Apple only releases one iPhone at a time, so they need to make it more universal. A 4.3" screen like the Galaxy S2 is a really nice compromise!

mac1984user
Jul 15, 2012, 02:14 AM

Rocketman

Hopefully their release of the iPhone 5 will operate a little more efficiently to their release of the retina MacBook Pro. To be fair, perhaps even Apple couldn't imagine the demand for a $2,200+ premium laptop.

As a side note, looking at your location, I got homesick. I spent many a day in downtown Claremont with my parents growing up. We used to have lunch at Walter's, which I've been told no longer exists. What a shame!

SeaFox
Jul 15, 2012, 02:21 AM

Why do people keep rating these comments up? It has NEVER been stated that the "model number" of the iPhone is a direct reflection of the "generation" of the device or what order it was released in.

And it would be rather stupid to call it the iPhone 6 simply because there has never been an "iPhone 5" before it.

landroverz7
Jul 15, 2012, 02:30 AM
September 2012
Apple releases 3 devices

Iphone (just called iPhone) specs:
4.1 inch, 16x9 screen with resolution of 1600x900
Quad core A6 chip with LTE/4G support, (First phone in the world to have quad core, 4G/LTE and run both GSM/CDMA)
2GB Ram
802.11ac
Improved camera optics with 8MP
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc
thunderbolt/usb3.0/usb2.0 compatible dock pin

Ipad Mini
7 inch, 16x9 screen with resolution of 1920x1080
Quad core A6 chip with LTE/4G support, (First tablet in the world to have quad core, 4G/LTE and run both GSM/CDMA)
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Ipad
9.7 inch, 16x9 screen with resolution of 2560x1440
Quad core A6 chip with LTE/4G support, (First tablet in the world to have quad core, 4G/LTE and run both GSM/CDMA)
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Kill all the old products including all iPods, iPhones and iPads etc.
Then publicly announce that they will do no upgrades to their iOS devices until 2015.
This will make everyone have the latest devices by end of 2014 hopefully no one complains my devices doesn't support this after buying a old product etc
Apple can then concentrate on their mac line for a while
Easy for developers

Take over the world APPLE!

MattInOz
Jul 15, 2012, 02:33 AM

An iPad is a very different use case to a smartphone so keeping the size down isn't going to help sales it just means people will keep older phones longer or move brands.

Still Apple could get rid of the home button and move back the width of the 3GS and they could get a 4.5+ inch screen on the same size device so the same ergonomics.

Maybe the screen tech isn't ready to kill the home button just yet but it would be nice if they did.

cjmillsnun
Jul 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Why do people keep rating these comments up? It has NEVER been stated that the "model number" of the iPhone is a direct reflection of the "generation" of the device or what order it was released in.

And it would be rather stupid to call it the iPhone 6 simply because there has never been an "iPhone 5" before it.

Actually the iPhone 4 was called the iPhone 4 because it WAS the 4th gen iPhone. I seem to recall it was mentioned in the keynote.

Confuzzzed
Jul 15, 2012, 02:37 AM
September 2012 !

not withstanding other aspects of your post (there won't be an iPad release in Oct 2012), you most certainly will NOT get 2GB memory on the next iPhone

MasterMac
Jul 15, 2012, 03:17 AM

And why is the 4S considered as a whole generation if it's just a spec bump from the 4? Wouldn't that make it more of a 4.5 than a whole new generation? It still has the 4 name.

Yeah, I totally remember that happening when the iPhone 4 came out. People were like: "Wait... if there's an iPhone 4, what was the iPhone 3?" "Was the 3Gs renamed the 3 then?" "Why did they skip the 2?"

Yeah, just like the iPad 3... oh wait.

mrbyu
Jul 15, 2012, 03:28 AM
It's hilarious how you guys filled all these pages with useless "how will they call it???" posts... seriously, who cares??

Even on the back of the iPhone 4 there is only "iPhone". It was foreseen, that they were going to quit this numbering thing some time.

It would be preposterous if they announced the new MacBook Air for example like this: "Aaaand we are updating our MacBook Air line, and we are calling it... MacBook Air 4,3!" In the stores: "Hello, do you have any MacBook Air 4,3 in stock?"

You cannot do this forever... in my opinion even iPhone 5 would sound "cheap"... instead of the numbers, if we customers really want to refer them, we could simply say for example iPhone 2012, or 2012 iPhone, like we do with MacBooks. But it's also almost unnecessary for the usual people. The average customer's mind can only differentiate two things:
- old iPhone (which you have so you're not as cool as me)
- new iPhone (which I have so I'm cooler than you) :p

norwaypianoman
Jul 15, 2012, 03:29 AM

iOS 6.

Count on it.

True.

rockametrics
Jul 15, 2012, 03:39 AM

Yeah, iPhone 6.

Just iPhone.....

----------

True.

Instead of the Apple Boot Logo it will Be Eddie's Face!

hachre
Jul 15, 2012, 03:42 AM
They should just call it iPhone 2012 and be done with it.

Everyone would know which generation it was then, even in the future. No matter if they were tech savy or not. And it would be a clear scheme going forward. Of course if I was them I would still only put 'iPhone' on the product itself.

JoshBoy
Jul 15, 2012, 04:08 AM
As you state, iPhone 2G isn't an official name from Apple. People like to refer to it as the iPhone 2G due to the original only using 2G network technology( EDGE). People also refer to it as the original iPhone.

There hasn't been a naming pattern for the iPhone besides the "S" moniker on the minor updates of the iPhone. iPhone 3G was named for having 3G cellular tech, the 3GS had the S next to 3G for speed since it was just a spec bump. Apple named the 4 for being the 4th generation iPhone. The S returns with the 4S since it was a spec bump to the 4.

Overall, we have no idea what Apple call the next iPhone. If Apple continues to name the iPhone after the generation, it will be the iPhone 6. Apple could follow what they did with the iPad and simply call the next iPhone, " The New iPhone". Apple could go back to naming it after the cellular technology and call it, " iPhone LTE". Who knows, besides Apple.

Actually "edge" is not 2G technology it's 2.5G, 2G is GPRS not "edge".

Monitoronly.com
Jul 15, 2012, 04:26 AM
The 4x name will end if The New smaller connector is introduced. Would never work with 4x name since it would confuse the market and generate lost of RMA's for wrongly purchased Docks/cables/etc.

mrbyu
Jul 15, 2012, 05:42 AM
The 4x name will end if The New smaller connector is introduced. Would never work with 4x name since it would confuse the market and generate lost of RMA's for wrongly purchased Docks/cables/etc.

Thanks, captain.

blackcrayon
Jul 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
That's the kind of logic that goes if they hired more engineers instead of lawyers (and the average lawyer I am sure gets paid as much as 5 engineers...) they would have taken this to market faster. Or programmers for that matter.

It's the kind of logic that says that a company has finite resources and if they plan to sue everyone on the globe these resources are allocated from one department to the other.

It's the same kind of logic that goes if they 'd hired more programmers instead of hiring more lawyers maybe ios 6 would actually have some features worth talking about, as in finally getting to the point where the interface doesn't look like that of a phone from 6 years ago, as in widgets, live updating apps, customizable screens with multi app information etc.

Glad I could enlighten you. :)

Great, so it's completely illogical. I was just checking.

I'm pretty sure with their $100 Billion+ in the bank, that they don't happen to be at the physical or even organizational limit in the # of employees that they can hire or support. Perhaps you also think that every time they open up a new retail store, they do so at the expense of hiring more programmers that could be adding new features to iOS. Completely rational conclusion! :rolleyes:

Nice try though :D

markcres
Jul 15, 2012, 06:06 AM
When Steve launched the original iphone back in 2007, he said the software was 5 years ahead of everyone else....so I want to see a radical refresh of the UI and OS it uses.....in September the UI will be 5 years and 8 months old. The actual handset design is less important....it will always be a slab of metal and glass that is proportioned to fit a human hand.

robogobo
Jul 15, 2012, 06:40 AM
Based on the mockups I think they should call it iPhone Episode V: Empire Strikes Back.

milo
Jul 15, 2012, 06:51 AM

Nope. Apple is probably going to drop the numbers and just call it "iPhone" like with the iPad. But if they didn't they'd probably go with 5. iPhone 6 is just flat out idiotic, I can't believe people still think that would have ever been a possibility.

Frankly the idea is so stupid it makes me miss downvoting.

quagmire
Jul 15, 2012, 07:01 AM
Actually "edge" is not 2G technology it's 2.5G, 2G is GPRS not "edge".

It is a 2G technology. It's just an updated 2G tech. People call it 2.5G because of the improvement, but it is still a 2G based technology. Just like with HSPA+. It's still a 3G technology, but an updated version where people call it 3.5G( despite the carriers calling it 4G).

MythicFrost
Jul 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
Ah, right... thanks.

Awjvail
Jul 15, 2012, 07:07 AM
September 2012
Apple releases 3 devices

Quad core A6 chip with LTE/4G support, (First phone in the world to have quad core, 4G/LTE and run both GSM/CDMA)
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Ipad Mini
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Ipad
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Then publicly announce that they will do no upgrades to their iOS devices until 2015.
This will make everyone have the latest devices by end of 2014 hopefully no one complains my devices doesn't support this after buying a old product etc
Easy for developers

What would possibly be the use of NFC on an iPad? Not many people shop with their iPads (okay, some), and even less whip it out at the checkouts to try to mangle that thing near the proximity reader...

Also, "Apple can then concentrate on their mac line for a while" - they are two completely separate teams. Just because Apple doesn't have any new products coming out soon doesn't mean that the mobile device team is just sitting idle while the Mac team slaves away.

Reason077
Jul 15, 2012, 07:15 AM

I am reliably informed that the iPhone 6 will be released next Tuesday, alongside the Powerbook G5.

My cat's cousin's owner works at Apple

Taipan
Jul 15, 2012, 07:34 AM

Do we have to go there again? Last time you all said they would never call it the iPhone 4S, since it's the fifth generation and comes with iOS 5. Yet they did.
So please accept that they are going to call it whatever they want regardless of the generation.

aamirshah
Jul 15, 2012, 07:44 AM
wow man its a great news i cant wait to see it in my own hands can you tell me new features that will be included in iphone 5?

Piggie
Jul 15, 2012, 07:48 AM
Do we really think this is going to be a OMG totally new product that sweeps the mobile world of it's feet, or simply just a stretched iPhone 4S with iOS6 ?

If the latter, do you think Apple will ever do anything radical or are they too frighted to scare away people with any thing new in the design or OS/UI of their phones?

Is it a case of, well this is selling really well, so we won't mess with it?

GuitarDTO
Jul 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
I'm completely amazed at how much of this thread is wasted on pointless, redundant dribble about the phone's alleged name. Do you people really give a rat's as$? WHO CARES!

What would be more interesting to debate is whether Apple has fooled us all with the design that has been leaking and really has managed to keep the true design under wraps.

eastmanweb
Jul 15, 2012, 08:00 AM

THANK YOU!

Sorry to yell, but that's been a pet peeve of mine for some time now. I know, I probably should calm down. I think I'm going to take a nap.

sulpfiction
Jul 15, 2012, 08:09 AM

Geeze, take of ur tin foil hat already. I can almost guarentee that no one will come back to this thread to see who was right or wrong about the name. Well, except for maybe you...Plus, there will be 95 more threads about this exact same topic before sept.

RMarch
Jul 15, 2012, 08:20 AM

Consumers have no idea nor care how many phones there have been. 5 comes after 4 - simple as that.

It may possibly be the new iPhone, but I still put my money on iPhone 5. Never be called the iPhone 6.

Eduardo Gumina
Jul 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have a Mac Pro Notebook.
I Introduced a mini DVD but I can not eject it.
Obviously I can not remove it.
How do I remove this mini DVD?
Anyone can help me?

elpamyelhsa
Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Anyone can help me?

20min at an Apple service provider

Remove bottom case, remove optical drive, remove optical drive cover and re assemble.

Piggie
Jul 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm completely amazed at how much of this thread is wasted on pointless, redundant dribble about the phone's alleged name. Do you people really give a rat's as$? WHO CARES!

What would be more interesting to debate is whether Apple has fooled us all with the design that has been leaking and really has managed to keep the true design under wraps.

I would love to think that this is all just fake, and we are really going to see something revolutionary from Apple this time around.

Unfortunatly, based upon the lack lustre change from the 4 to the 4S and the less that amazing iOS6, and the sample parts we've seen, I suspect, we're going to see what we have already seen and iPhone4 with a 2 tone back and a stretched screen (no wider) and just the same old iOS and that's going to be it for yet another year.

I very much hope I'm totally wrong though.

Indy21
Jul 15, 2012, 09:19 AM

My exact thoughts last night before logging off...

The whole Tim Cook quote "doubling down on secrecy" dances in the back of my mind when seeing all of these mock-ups and 'leaks'.

It's almost like, there are so many leaked photos from so many different sources that would have one believe that this has GOT to be the new design but on the other hand, there are so many that it almost would seem silly to believe at the same time, lol.

Isn't it highly unlikely that this many photos have been shown of the 'actual hardware' for the past 8 weeks or so and with a couple of months left until announcement that Apple would not have come out and declared these leaks false or tried taking them out?

Remember..."double down on secrecy"...did Tim mean, "well, after this new iPhone that's already been shown we'll crack down on it more"...I personally don't think so, lol.

I'm not saying some of the parts we've seen don't look legit, because they do! But there just HAS to be more than a larger screen on this thing, something worth keeping "secret".

What does the history of the iPhone tell us as far as leaked material? I don't really have time to research at the moment (kids waking up soon) but it would be interesting to look at. A timeline of 'leaks till launch' that eventually turned out to be the real deal.

KanosWRX
Jul 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
Ok, so the other big issue being discussed here is screen size. I'm probably on the outer about this. Firstly, I'm one of the rare people who actually think the current iPhone screen size is great. Sure it looks small compared to Android devices, but in terms of ergonomics, it's absolutely perfect for what I need. If I want a bigger screen, I'll use an iPad or Mac. There's definitely advantages to larger screens of course. More real estate, easier on the eyes in some ways etc. But being able to comfortably access all of the 4s's screen with one of my thumbs is just so awesome to me. These devices SHOULD be small and compact. They are phones, not tablets. Samsung, HTC etc are just trying to differentiate themselves from Apple with the oldest trick in the book. Bigger is better. I wonder if Apple will succumb to their pressure and increase size. If they do it I think it will be for one reason, that they genuinely believe it creates a better user experience for the consumer. Apple do not easily succumb as can be seen in their notebooks. Most of them have a 16:10 ratio which is different from nearly every other notebook out there which have 16:9 aspect ratios. Clearly 16:10 is slightly more antiquated looking if comparing to other laptops, but it's also obviously a better user experience with much larger real estate!

I just wanted to comment on this, specifically the last part about the aspect ratio. You would think if Apple knows that aspect ratio's are key to user experience and not just larger real estate they would keep the same aspect ratio that they have now and just make the screen bigger. By doing what all of these leaks look like, they are making the user experience worse.

AppleNewsTech
Jul 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Tim Cook stated that he would "double down on secrecy." Does this look like it? At least once a week we get a leak from some random source. I really think that Apple is putting these designs out there just to lead
people on and will blow everyone away come August 7th, or in September. Im just calling it right here. I dont think this design is real. Thats that!!!!!! :apple:

P.S. It will be called "The New iPhone," and once the next one comes out, that will be called "The New iPhone," and this will be called iPhone (6th Generation).

newyorksole
Jul 15, 2012, 09:40 AM
Oh noww y'all are finally accepting that this is the new iPhone.

It will be "the new iPhone" and it will have a 2-tone back, 4G/LTE, bigger screen, smaller dock connector etc.

End of story.

----------

Tim Cook stated that he would "double down on secrecy." Does this look like it? At least once a week we get a leak from some random source. I really think that Apple is putting these designs out there just to lead
people on and will blow everyone away come August 7th, or in September. Im just calling it right here. I dont think this design is real. Thats that!!!!!! :apple:

P.S. It will be called "The New iPhone," and once the next one comes out, that will be called "The New iPhone," and this will be called iPhone (6th Generation).

Lmao when was the last time Apple "blew us away" we ALWAYS know what to expect with these mobile releases...

Everyone needs to stop getting their hopes up. Apple isn't gonna pull a random radically new phone out. You've seen the iPhone, that's what we're getting.

Ajones330
Jul 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm just going to wait until it is unveiled then decide how I feel about the design. I hope it is like it was for me with the iPhone 4. I didn't like the design until it was actually announced and looked more polished.

SpectatorHere
Jul 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Unless these leaks are incorrect, for a second year in a row, Apple will be launching a phone that is 6 months- 1 year behind technologically.

I could understand last year as the 4s seemed like an obvious fallback option they took if LTE didn't make sense to launch. They were also consolidating the different GSM and CDMA designs, while taking account of the new battery draw of the dual core.

This new phone should feature a case redesign as significant as the 3Gs to the 4, the screen needs a major upgrade--much greater than has been leaked, and then it has to have what other modern phones have (LTE, best processor.)

Moving out of their ecosystem is easier than ever. Google play will store 20,000 tracks and let you stream them from anywhere and download, it automatically deals with your iTunes library, even uploading new purchases....and it's free, unlike Apple's Match. Amazon will usually have the best price on music, and its download manager will all files to your pre-existing iTunes library.

So, that just leaves your apps. Most all of them are on Android, although some would cost you money to replace.

TheNerdyNurse
Jul 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
It's the 6th. What is referred as the 2G is the original iPhone that came out in 2007. Some call it the 2G since it only used EDGE. The 3G came out in 2008, 3GS in 2009, 4 in 2010, and 4S 2011.

I feel like I just lost 3 points to my communication skills after reading that. Really, does it matter what they name it? The could call it the Apple :apple:DogPhone and people would buy it!

Jimrod
Jul 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
Just to quickly sum up my views:

It will be called iPhone 5 or "The New iPhone". There is no chance at all it will be a derivative of 4 or 6, feel free to ridicule me for eternity if this happens, but it won't. (only geek types would consider it a "6" and this isn't Apple's target market with the phone, they won't want to cause confusion to "normal" people).

The leaked design won't be the design, it's simply not Apple in many areas of basic design, things not lining up correctly or sitting centrally/aligned with radii etc. That design is typical of the Far East where such things don't seem to matter, to Apple they do. It is more likely to be like a mini iPad in form and will be wider as well as taller, probably with a 4.3" screen as this scales best with little change to form presuming they can now make the screen fit a little nearer the edges. The glass portion could well be like the Apple logo on the iPad.

That's all. :)

Thunderhawks
Jul 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone can help me?

Since you seem to be able to get online to post this:

GOOGLE!!!!! any problem first.

before asking here.

For everything you ask there are plenty of suggestions!

Example, enter:

Removing mini dvd

16,400,000 million results in 0.31 seconds

quagmire
Jul 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
I feel like I just lost 3 points to my communication skills after reading that. Really, does it matter what they name it? The could call it the Apple :apple:DogPhone and people would buy it!

If you read the post I replied to, he had listed the original and 2G as separate generations when they are the same phone, just those are the names people refer to the 2007 iPhone. Then I just listed when each of the other iPhones came out to show the next iPhone is the 6th version of the handset, not the 7th as he posted.

tigress666
Jul 15, 2012, 10:50 AM

Actually, they need downvoting so I can downvote all of you who are bickering over the name. No one knows who doesn't work for Apple. Hell, for all we know they haven't even decided on a name.

Besides, it's just a name. You guys are being quite pedantic.

mikechan1234
Jul 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
September 2012
Apple releases 3 devices

2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Ipad Mini
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Ipad
2GB Ram
802.11ac
720p front facing camera
stereo speakers
nfc

Easy for developers

Such a dreamer :D

tigress666
Jul 15, 2012, 11:11 AM

Your list sounds mostly reasonable but I have to comment here. I personally hate the 16:9 aspect ratio for the phone (or for the ipad, but phone even worse).

I hate it being long cause it makes it more awkward to use in landscape mode (and doesn't add really any usable space) and isn't that much more helpful for reading text in portrait mode. I'm with some one else that if they must increase the screen size, I'd like them to increase the width too.

But, ok, I'll give it's better for watching movies. I don't buy my iphone for watching movies. Why would you do that? It's way too small to be good for watching movies (maybe for watching short youtube). Even the iPad is kinda small for watching tv on (but doable). I mean sure, if you are in a pinch or you happen to be away from some big screen, but it certainly would be my very *last* consideration when buying a phone. I certainly don't think making the aspect ratio good for watching movies but bad for everything else any sort of good trade off. By the time it's big enough to be decent for watching movies, it's way too big to be good for a portable phone that you need to take everywhere with you.

Jamesesesesess
Jul 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I totally remember that happening when the iPhone 4 came out. People were like: "Wait... if there's an iPhone 4, what was the iPhone 3?" "Was the 3Gs renamed the 3 then?" "Why did they skip the 2?"

Yeah, just like the iPad 3... oh wait.

What are you talking about? :o it was called the 3G because it had 3G, EVERYONE knew that. When the iPhone came out, everyone was complaining about no 3G. That isn't even the same kind of comparison, considering the only other model we had then was just the 'iPhone' :rolleyes:

And what are you trying to prove there? :o I've already said that it's more likely to be called the 'iPhone 5', 'the new iPhone', or 'iPhone 4G' than the 'iPhone 6', I really don't get why you threw that in there. Please research before you make idiotic, false statements like your last.

ixodes
so looks like we are getting and i-phone 4S2

This comment above may be the best description yet, of what the new phone represents.

I've never seen any manufacturer stretch a display, just for the sake of marketing purposes. That's a concept that seems to apply here. There's nothing that one cannot do on a 3.5" display that will radically change with such a minor, incremental and odd display shape.

I know I've said it before, but I'm simply bewildered that Apple would actually ship such an odd looking phone. You'll notice I didn't say "why they would" but simply "that" they would.

I do know why... it's cheaper to make this very minor change, which in turn cranks up their profit per phone, which is what it's all about for Apple.

Money, money, money, money.

I do admire their ability to foist off something like this on the buyers, only to have people gushing and drooling all over themselves about this "Wonderful New Model".

At this point it doesn't take much to thrill Apple's followers.

damir00
Not expecting much new/exciting from this version.

And, honestly, the whole iOS thing is looking dated, time for something new.

EDIT: Just call it the 2012 iPhone and be done with it.

RVdave
Jul 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
I don't care what they call each new iPad or iPhone, but they do need a distinctive name for each new model. If not, how are we to explain what model we have? My "New" iPad isn't going to be the New iPad a year from now.

whateverandever
Jul 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
Do we have to go there again? Last time you all said they would never call it the iPhone 4S, since it's the fifth generation and comes with iOS 5. Yet they did.
So please accept that they are going to call it whatever they want regardless of the generation.

I never said they wouldn't call it the 4S, so I don't know why you're throwing me into some imaginary group that believed Apple wouldn't create a 4S. I also am not saying I put it beyond Apple to call it the iPhone 5. I'm saying that it is not the iPhone 5 presently whether they decide to call it that in the future or not, therefore the tech news industry should stop referring to it by a name that does not make sense from a generational standpoint and has not been given to it by any authority on the matter.