PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] iPhone 4/4S Retina display vs the competition

Technarchy
Jul 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
One of the most common questions that frequently comes up is if the iPhone 4/4S Retina display can still hang with the competition in key areas.

The answer is yes.

*This has nothing to do with the OS, Apps, or anything else. Just pure display tech. Everyone's eyes are different, but this is how I saw it.

Key bullet points:
-Brightness
-Clarity
-Color reproduction
-Text legibility
-Level of artifacts during video playback

Rankings:

1. HTC One X/Evo 4G LTE
2. Motorola Atrix HD
3. iPhone 4S/4
4. Sony Xperia iON
5. Samsung Galaxy SIII
6. HTC One S
7. HTC Titan II
8. Samsung Galaxy Nexus
9. Nokia Lumia 900
10. Samsung Galaxy SII

Summary:
I think the One X has the best display in the business hands down. It's big, it's bright, and very clear and easy on the eyes. Video looks awesome too.

The Motorola Atrix HD was far more impressive than I expected. It's incredibly sharp, and the brightness was probably the best of all the phones.

Then comes the iPhone 4S. It's still one of the brightest, sharpest screens on the market, despite being released in 2010. Text looks great with a hint of anti-aliasing to soften the edges, colors are slightly understated, but natural looking, with great sharpness when content is zoomed in or out.

Very simply, the iPhone 4S screen is still one of the best in the business.

Edit: The Sony Xperia iON was a surprising sleeper in terms of displays.

utahman130
Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
I still think Retnia Display is crisper than any other display out there. Other displays come close, but I still think it is #1. I wish the Retnia Display had more Hue/Saturation and was a little brighter.

Mac.World
Jul 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Looks pretty accurate to me.

----------

I still think Retnia Display is crisper than any other display out there. Other displays come close, but I still think it is #1. I wish the Retnia Display had more Hue/Saturation and was a little brighter.

No such thing as a retina display. The iphone is an lcd ips, just like the HOX, but the HOX is quite a bit bigger and still managers to match pixel density. (the difference of 15-20 pixels spread out over 1.5 inches would require a microscope to see the diffence.) Retina is just a term Apple uses.

Subjugator
Jul 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
I had the One X for awhile. I would say iphone 4/4s screen blows it away the X. Yes its nice and big, however rhe color are way over saturated to the point of being comical, and distracting.

blackhand1001
Jul 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
Putting the galaxy nexus below the htc one s is boardline criminal. They're both pentile super amoled. The galaxy nexus is 1280x720 vs the one s pentile 960x540.

The same goes for the lumia 900 being below the titan II. The both an rgb 800x480 displays. The lumia uses super amoled+.

boomboom2
Jul 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
The thing about the One X screen is that the images seems to be "floating" on the glass. It's definitely a beauty.

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 11:55 PM
Mine top 5 would be:

1. HTC One X
2. Galaxy S3
3. Galaxy Nexus
4. Atrix HD
5. Xperia Ion

RocketRed
Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Mine top 5 would be:

1. HTC One X
2. Galaxy S3
3. Galaxy Nexus
4. Atrix HD
5. Xperia Ion

Mine would be

1. Docomo Sharp SH-01D
2. Sony Xperia S
3. HTC One X
4. Samsung Galaxy S3
5. Samsung Galaxy Nexus

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
Mine would be

1. Docomo Sharp SH-01D
2. Sony Xperia S
3. HTC One X
4. Samsung Galaxy S3
5. Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Very intriguing list. Interesting perspective indeed. Great list.

swoosh0217
Jul 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
Retina display is far better than the HTC One no doubt or any other competition.

Chundles
Jul 15, 2012, 12:01 AM
I'd put:

1. HTC One X/iPhone

2. Daylight

3. Anything OLED-based - they look oily and weird. Too green or too blue generally.

depths
Jul 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
Putting the galaxy nexus below the htc one s is boardline criminal. They're both pentile super amoled. The galaxy nexus is 1280x720 vs the one s pentile 960x540.

The same goes for the lumia 900 being below the titan II. The both an rgb 800x480 displays. The lumia uses super amoled+.

OP hates the Galaxy Nexus. I'm surprised it made the list.

RocketRed
Jul 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
Very intriguing list. Interesting perspective indeed. Great list.

Thank you iGentleman~

I owned an SH-01D for a few months. It is a Japanese Android Phone. The screen is the most amazing I have seen on any android phone, as the screen is supplied by the makers of the phone (sharp). Too bad it's bloated with Docomo software and the Japanese Android community have yet to find a root for it.

The iGentleman
Jul 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you iGentleman~

I owned an SH-01D for a few months. It is a Japanese Android Phone. The screen is the most amazing I have seen on any android phone, as the screen is supplied by the makers of the phone (sharp). Too bad it's bloated with Docomo software and the Japanese Android community have yet to find a root for it.
That's interesting. I remember hearing about that phone a while back, but forgot about (since it's not available in the US). I like your list, because it involves more broad thinking and unconventional considerations.

----------

Retina display is far better than the HTC One no doubt or any other competition.

Sorry, but as nice as the iPhone's display is, it has been surpassed. With other screen technologies being utilized today, other phones are matching the retina display's crispness and clarity, but with a significantly larger display. Does this mean the retina display is bad? No. It just means it isn't top dog (or top 5 honestly).

Technarchy
Jul 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
All AMOLED screens are inferior to the iPhone Retina display.

The funky colors, the blue haze over everything, the dim darkness and lack of brightness.

It just doesnt make for as pleasant of viewng experience compared to LCD displays.

Dmaynard83
Jul 16, 2012, 10:37 PM

The funky colors, the blue haze over everything, the dim darkness and lack of brightness.

It just doesnt make for as pleasant of viewng experience compared to LCD displays.

Agreed

Zaft
Jul 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
Amoled still has the annoying issue of sucking in direct light. My friends GS3 in minimal lighting looked washed out.

Technarchy
Jul 16, 2012, 11:54 PM
Amoled still has the annoying issue of sucking in direct light. My friends GS3 in minimal lighting looked washed out.

Some claim AMOLED has lower glare.

I think that is completely irrelevent if visibility is shot to hell in sunlight, which was the case with my GS2, Nexus S and GNEX.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 AM

Of course this is a matter of opinion. I think the Amoled displays look better than the retina display. I'd much rather watch an HD video on the GS3, than watch the same video in standard def on the iPhone. It really just doesn't compare.

Sanders
Jul 17, 2012, 01:30 AM
n the art and science of smartphone comparison, the screen display and resolution is something you just canít miss. The display is the most obvious thing that you first see when you lay your eyes on any smartphone. Todayís touchscreens and brilliant high-resolution displays can keep you looking at your prized smartphone a lot more than actually talking on it.

One smartphone that has made groundbreaking history in this area is none other than Appleís iPhone. The Retina Display that was proudly unveiled by the iPhone 4 in June 2010 took the world by storm. A year later, the same Retina Display prevailed in the updated iPhone 4S. Letís now take a closer look at the Retina Display and what has made it such a standard to emulate.

Record-Setting Image Quality

When you take a closer look at the iPhone 4S and its predecessor the iPhone 4, youíll find that amidst their many powerful and desirable features, the most outstanding is still the Retina Display.

The touchscreen is aptly named the Retina Display as it boasts an all-time high resolution of 960 x 640 pixels on its 3.5-inch touchscreen, which yields a record-setting image quality of 326 pixels per inch (ppi). This image quality is still unbeaten to date, although some competitors are drawing pretty close, such as Samsungís Galaxy Nexus with 1280 x 720 pixels on its 4.65-inch screen (316ppi).

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:31 AM
Some claim AMOLED has lower glare.

I think that is completely irrelevent if visibility is shot to hell in sunlight, which was the case with my GS2, Nexus S and GNEX.

The sunlight argument is overblown. People act as if the screen disappears in the sunlight. The screen is visible in the sunlight. Sure an LCD panel may look a tad bit brighter in the sunlight, but not by much. I've yet to see any screen that looks excellent in direct sunlight. That said, I don't spend the majority of my time in direct sunlight, and nor does the vast majority of the population. Heck it isn't even sunny every day, so the whole direct sunlight comparison isn't nearly as important as some make it out to be. But playing devil's advocate, the amoled displays look better indoors and when not in direct sunlight.

skidbubble
Jul 17, 2012, 01:46 AM
Couldn't help but notice OP conveniently (and probably intentionally) left off "size" as one of the key bullet points. Yup, don't wanna put that on there, because that is an area where the iPhone falls short and we can't have that.

And before you try to say it isn't important, it is. Quite possibly one of the first things people notice when looking at a phone screen.

Technarchy
Jul 17, 2012, 03:05 AM
Couldn't help but notice OP conveniently (and probably intentionally) left off "size" as one of the key bullet points. Yup, don't wanna put that on there, because that is an area where the iPhone falls short and we can't have that.

And before you try to say it isn't important, it is. Quite possibly one of the first things people notice when looking at a phone screen.

Size is a factor. The One X looks great and is large. As is the Atrix HD. Notice they are 1 and 2.

However, for the rest under the iPhone 4S, bad image quality is bad image quality. Could be a 5" screen or a 77" screen. Makes no difference.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 03:31 AM
Size is a factor. The One X looks great and is large. As is the Atrix HD. Notice they are 1 and 2.

However, for the rest under the iPhone 4S, bad image quality is bad image quality. Could be a 5" screen or a 77" screen. Makes no difference.

So then by that logic that means you'd take a 23" Samsung LED 1080p 240hz television over a 46" Vizio LCD 1080p 120hz, since it's about image quality and size makes no difference?

Savor
Jul 17, 2012, 05:09 AM
The touchscreen is aptly named the Retina Display as it boasts an all-time high resolution of 960 x 640 pixels on its 3.5-inch touchscreen, which yields a record-setting image quality of 326 pixels per inch (ppi). This image quality is still unbeaten to date, although some competitors are drawing pretty close, such as Samsungís Galaxy Nexus with 1280 x 720 pixels on its 4.65-inch screen (316ppi). The HTC Rezound from last year and Sony Xperia S are tied at 342ppi. Apple's highest density claim has already been beaten 8 months ago. The Motorola Atrix HD also matches the 326ppi of the iPhone 4/4s.

boss.king
Jul 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
So then by that logic that means you'd take a 23" Samsung LED 1080p 240hz television over a 46" Vizio LCD 1080p 120hz, since it's about image quality and size makes no difference?

That's a pretty big jump you've made. The difference between a 3.5" and 4.8" display (with similar pixel density) is vastly different to a 23" vs 46" display (of the same resolution), to the extent that it's not really even relevant to the conversation.

What the OP is saying is that size was a factor in his decision, but a it's not the deciding factor. Image quality is important too, and I agree with him whole heartedly. What's the point of having a monster display if the image looks like crap? The iPhone display (while not the best) still offers better image quality than a large number of phones with bigger screens. They key is a balance between size and image quality.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
Anything AMOLED and *especially* PenTile (Samsung Galaxy S III) should not even be ranked in any TOP X lists. IPS panels are the best, hands down. High pixel density panels are a plus. AMOLED panels have lower power draw but the color is disgustingly fake. That is one area I most definitely DO NOT want to conserve battery life on. A smartphone's most important aspect is the display, that's where we spend 100% of our time using the smartphone. We look at the display, we touch the display, we play games on the display, we read stuff on the display, etc. It has to look really good. And not only do AMOLED panels look fake, they look just as bad while doing so which is a double no-no.

mjpearce023
Jul 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
I had the One X for a couple weeks and I thought it was the best I've seen other than the iPhone. The only thing I noticed was the depth of pictures was better on the iPhone. I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but if you look at the same picture on the One X and the iPhone 4s the 4s seems to be a little more realistic. The One X makes the picture look more flat. I was showing someone both phones at work and they noticed as well without me saying anything. I took a couple side by side pics when I had the One X but its hard to see what I'm talking about in a photo. The extra saturation in the One X made some pictures look better and some look unrealistic. It just depends on your preference and what picture youíre looking at. I would say itís very close but I gave a slight edge to the iPhone for display.

Six8
Jul 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
I had the One X for awhile. I would say iphone 4/4s screen blows it away the X. Yes its nice and big, however rhe color are way over saturated to the point of being comical, and distracting.

That's bs

iosuser
Jul 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
That's bs

Absolutely. The One X has the best display out there. Next up is iPhone 4/4S strictly quality wise (forget the size and lowish resolution). Pentile AMOLED displays are mid-pack at best because of the cartoony colors and the blurry pentile effect, although ones with 720p screen are still plenty sharp.

One thing about the AMOLED screen though. Black is BLACK, and those who like to look for LCD light bleed with the backlight on max in a dark basement, won't have that to obsess over with AMOLED ;)

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
That's a pretty big jump you've made. The difference between a 3.5" and 4.8" display (with similar pixel density) is vastly different to a 23" vs 46" display (of the same resolution), to the extent that it's not really even relevant to the conversation.

What the OP is saying is that size was a factor in his decision, but a it's not the deciding factor. Image quality is important too, and I agree with him whole heartedly. What's the point of having a monster display if the image looks like crap? The iPhone display (while not the best) still offers better image quality than a large number of phones with bigger screens. They key is a balance between size and image quality.

Ok, then how about make the sizes 23" and 32" (I'd say 31", but they aren't the norm)? That's the same percentage difference between the iPhone 4S and the GS3.

oBMTo
Jul 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Who the hell cares where a 3.5" screen ranks? It is still 3.5".

----------

That's bs

Well when you make stuff up, it usually is.

cynics
Jul 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
To be honest I don't see the difference unless I put them side by side. The Razr's display sucks according to tech article, but I much prefer it over my iPhone just due to its size. It makes web browsing and forums etc etc so much more pleasant, easier on the eyes and easier to navigate.

I think one needs to ask themselves what their priorities are. Do you prefer quality over size? Do you like or dislike the colors on amoled? Etc etc...

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
To be honest I don't see the difference unless I put them side by side. The Razr's display sucks according to tech article, but I much prefer it over my iPhone just due to its size. It makes web browsing and forums etc etc so much more pleasant, easier on the eyes and easier to navigate.

I think one needs to ask themselves what their priorities are. Do you prefer quality over size? Do you like or dislike the colors on amoled? Etc etc...

The funny thing is, if the iPhone had an amoled display, people on here would be bragging about how vibrant the colors on our phone are, and how well they pop. In the real world, when asking people to compare screens, not one person ever complained about the amoled screen's colors being too vibrant or saturated. They always said, they preferred those screens because of how good everything looked on it, similar to how people tend to pick the hdtv with the best contrast and color vibrance. It's only on forums that you see people using it as a negative.

boss.king
Jul 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Ok, then how about make the sizes 23" and 32" (I'd say 31", but they aren't the norm)? That's the same percentage difference between the iPhone 4S and the GS3.

Regardless of the answer, what would that prove? It's not a comparable situation. You buy a phone based on a variety of different reasons, which change from person to person. I wouldn't buy a phone with a huge display and crap image quality, and I wouldn't buy a phone with a tiny display and great image quality either. I'd buy one with the best balance of the two that I can find. What I (or anyone else) defines as a point of balance is meaningless to others as they have their own criteria.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
The only way to do a comparison is

Technology type

AMOLED
IPS
Pen Tile

whateva

Then focus on the common denominator PPI.

and then toss it all out when you realize that humans perceive color differently.

;)

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
Regardless of the answer, what would that prove? It's not a comparable situation. You buy a phone based on a variety of different reasons, which change from person to person. I wouldn't buy a phone with a huge display and crap image quality, and I wouldn't buy a phone with a tiny display and great image quality either. I'd buy one with the best balance of the two that I can find. What I (or anyone else) defines as a point of balance is meaningless to others as they have their own criteria.

My point is, by his logic he'd choose the 23" television over the 32" because of image quality. All other factors aside, this is what his statement about screens would lead me to believe.

Technarchy
Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
My point is, by his logic he'd choose the 23" television over the 32" because of image quality. All other factors aside, this is what his statement about screens would lead me to believe.

I wouldn't be the market for either, so no, you don't get to frame the conversation with a straw-man argument.

Though, if I had to choose between a 47" TV with a superior screen vs a 77" TV with bad image quality, yes, I would choose the smaller screen all day every day.

boss.king
Jul 17, 2012, 11:55 PM

Meaning what? He likes image quality, that's his personal preference. If you rate size as more important, then don't get an iPhone. I don't get the point you're trying to make with this?

The iGentleman
Jul 18, 2012, 12:15 AM
Meaning what? He likes image quality, that's his personal preference. If you rate size as more important, then don't get an iPhone. I don't get the point you're trying to make with this?

How about you let him make his point himself. I wasn't asking you about HIS point. I asked him, and would like to see HIS response. Your response to a question directed at HIM, isn't welcome. Thanks. :eek:

----------

I wouldn't be the market for either, so no, you don't get to frame the conversation with a straw-man argument.

Though, if I had to choose between a 47" TV with a superior screen vs a 77" TV with bad image quality, yes, I would choose the smaller screen all day every day.

Way to duck the question. It just goes to show your point was weak to begin with. I'm talking specifically about screens, just as you were talking specifically about screens. I wouldn't be in the market for some of the phones I named, but it doesn't change the fact that they have quality displays.

boss.king
Jul 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
How about you let him make his point himself. I wasn't asking you about HIS point. I asked him, and would like to see HIS response. Your response to a question directed at HIM, isn't welcome. Thanks. :eek:

Not your forum (not even your thread), I am free to reply as I see fit.

Technarchy
Jul 18, 2012, 12:20 AM

----------

Way to duck the question. It just goes to show your point was weak to begin with. I'm talking specifically about screens, just as you were talking specifically about screens. I wouldn't be in the market for some of the phones I named, but it doesn't change the fact that they have quality displays.

I didn't duck the question, I just stripped you of a potential strawman and eliminated the hyperbole.

Within the realm of reason, all things being equal other than screen size and image quality, I'd choose smaller screen.

The iGentleman
Jul 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
Not your forum (not even your thread), I am free to reply as I see fit.

True....unfortunately, your reply was useless. Thanks for your contribution. Have a nice day.

boss.king
Jul 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
True....unfortunately, your reply was useless. Thanks for your contribution. Have a nice day.

No, actually my input was bringing the thread back on topic after your weird somewhat unrelated question, but think what you want.

The iGentleman
Jul 18, 2012, 12:54 AM
No, actually my input was bringing the thread back on topic after your weird somewhat unrelated question, but think what you want.

Let me try this again.....Have a nice day. :eek:

blackbirdz
Jul 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
Colors in AMOLED looks fake and 'cheap'. The blue looks 'super blue' and green looks 'super green'. It looks kinda nice at first but you'll feel not right. I browsed Samsung S3, it's kinda hard in the eyes, and felt like dozy/sleepy.

iPhone retina display is the best. Good contrast and good color choice. Try to look in your address book/message list, you could feel as if you're looking at a paper (not a display that emitting a light).

ixodes
Jul 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
I'm neither easily distracted, nor do I exaggerate, the difference between the displays on my iPhone 4S, my HTC One X, & my Galaxy S III, is very small. They each have their advantages.

Best of all is the fact that I don't have to bash one over the other, to defend my favorite. My self worth is not tied to the phone I carry.

party
Jul 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
I love the Retina display on the iPad because it is large, crisp and has very bright yet saturated colours. The blend of the above three things just makes Retina display by Apple (on its all 3 products) my favourite.

Most other displays are good and a pleasure to look at but they mostly fail at the colour part.