Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I recall reading somewhere that apps you got from a DVD (like iWork, before the Mac App Store) will link up with the same apps in the Mac App Store so all updates will be from the App Store instead of Software Update. Can anyone confirm this?

For example, I got iWork on a DVD a while ago. All updates have been through Software Update, and although I have the same version of iWork as in the Mac App Store, updates still go through Software Update and not the store. Will this change with Mountain Lion?

justfer

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
"Software update" doesn't exist anymore.

It's all in the same place in the App store. So things that would come in from Software Update now come in via the App Store. ( cite: http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html )

Thanks, I was wondering about this too. One more question, though. Although all updates will be through the Mac App Store, will the MAS know I have previously installed apps from a DVD (like the iWork scenario mentioned above)? Like, if I have iWork from a DVD and it's up to date, if I go search for Pages, for example, will it say in the MAS it's already installed, or will it give me the option to buy the app, like it does now in Lion?

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks, I was wondering about this too. One more question, though. Although all updates will be through the Mac App Store, will the MAS know I have previously installed apps from a DVD (like the iWork scenario mentioned above)? Like, if I have iWork from a DVD and it's up to date, if I go search for Pages, for example, will it say in the MAS it's already installed, or will it give me the option to buy the app, like it does now in Lion?

Yea this bugs me in Lion. My iWork is up to date, exactly the same as in the App Store, yet it doesn't recognize I already have all the iWork apps on my Mac.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I don't know about iWork but I bought iLife on Snow Leopard and I was still able to get updates on the Mac App Store on ML. I just downloaded one yesterday for iPhoto. I didn't have to buy the digital version again or anything like that.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I don't know about iWork but I bought iLife on Snow Leopard and I was still able to get updates on the Mac App Store on ML. I just downloaded one yesterday for iPhoto. I didn't have to buy the digital version again or anything like that.

Did you get the digital version of iLife from the App Store, or did you get it through a DVD?

I got iWork from a DVD, not from the App Store, and so I'm wondering if ML will realize that I have the iWork apps that the App Store has, and instead of having a "Buy" button next to the apps in the Store, it'll have the "Installed" greyed out button. I know I'll get updates through the App Store with ML, but this little thing is bothering me.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

Will it "know"? Yes.

Does it make a difference? No.

I don't imagine it's gong to be different in how it shows you the purchase options. I can't verify this at the moment, but I expect it to still offer you the ability to purchase the apps, since you only will get iCloud storage with Mac App Store apps which I assume they will be adding soon?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Did you get the digital version of iLife from the App Store, or did you get it through a DVD?

I got iWork from a DVD, not from the App Store, and so I'm wondering if ML will realize that I have the iWork apps that the App Store has, and instead of having a "Buy" button next to the apps in the Store, it'll have the "Installed" greyed out button. I know I'll get updates through the App Store with ML, but this little thing is bothering me.

For me, it still shows the purchase button on the App Store for iPhoto and Garageband and I assume it's the same for iWork. I know that's kinda annoying but that's how it is. I wish Apple had a way to confirm that you actually bought the DVD so they could give us a redeem code. The two versions are completely identical though, so either way, you are still going to get the updates. It's up to you whether you want to purchase iLife again on the Mac App Store or just install it from the DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.