Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esbod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
SpyMac is floating a new rumor about a slot loading LCD iMac at 1Gz. Pictured with the article is an expanded screen (19").

I'm looking to January for a 19" iMac with a 1Ghz, bluetooth, firewire 2. Why - the LCD is a attention getter for the public and is the center of the "digital hub" lifestyle. So it would be logical that Apple would introduce a faster firewire and bluetooth in the "digital hub" CPU.

19" in the top of the line in a 1 Ghz machine. For those who say "no way" well I'll just point to the fact that few saw the 1 Ghz / superdrive coming as many seem very surprised by the recent release. Modification of the base to fit a slot drive provides Apple with a chance to modify the base for a 19" if it is need. However, many have stated that no change to the base would be required to support a 19" LCD.

January 7, 2003

19" iMac LCD, slotloading superdrive
Firewire 2
Bluetooth

Introduction of new bluetooth loaded toys and camera for the firewire 2 :D

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
why does any one need a 19" iMac, just buy a damn powermac if your gonna spend that much money and need a large screen. the whole idea of an iMac is so that apple has a cheep line-up of products, designed for home use. why would a home user need a 19"LCD (same as 21" CRT) beats the hell out of me.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
why does any one need a 19" iMac, just buy a damn powermac if your gonna spend that much money and need a large screen. the whole idea of an iMac is so that apple has a cheep line-up of products, designed for home use. why would a home user need a 19"LCD (same as 21" CRT) beats the hell out of me.

Because a lot of consumers, home users, et. al, believer bigger is better!

that said, i don't think Apple will release a 19" and i think spymac is just mongering with this one: They say the unit will feature a slot-loading optical drive. Steve said at MWSF that they kept away from slot loaders on these guys simply to keep the lines cleaner (no slit in the front).

i doubt you'll see one.. unless they have some small pop down door covering the slot.

Just my $.02

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I like the idea of a slot load imac. Not sure if we'll see it but it is possible. They may use the same slot load superdrive the tibook is using.

19" does seem overkill for an imac, it is a consumer machine after all. And most consumers that i know that would consider an imac are using a 17 inch CRT. So the 17" imac LCD is a plenty of room for them.

I'd like to see the imac hit 1 or 1.25 ghz, and more vram, and 17 inch lcd's across the board.

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Originally posted by Mr Jobs

As a newbie, please allow me to express my opinion.

I understand your point, but to buy a powermac for home use with a display that large (assuming the 19" lcd rumors are true) and the same features such as the superdrive would obviously be quite a bit more expensive. At least $1,500 more! I would love to have a 19" Imac at home for music notation and video editing. The 17" I have in my office works great for what I do, but a larger screen would make life easier. Why spend all that money when I would just have to replace it in a few years anyway.

As a side note, since seeing my Imac, many of my pc friends have come to me in confidentiality saying that they would like to get one too.:D After seeing what it can do, the persecution has stopped! I should write the "Macintosh Book of Martyrs." lol

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Thanks Overachiever, just trying to be polite as the new kid on the block. Of course, that always got me beat up as a kid! ;)

So, I would still be willing to go with the 17" if there was a price drop. Any hope of that before Christmas? Otherwise I'll wait for the upgrade.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I'd like to add something. The iMac wont get usb2, firewire2, bluetooth before the professional lines get them. I dont think so anyway.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Why does the iMac HAVE to be a 'consumer' machine?

Personally, I think Apple is trying to reposition the iMac, as the new Cube--a machine with minimal footprint, maximum style, and ease of setup. So it's now the middle machine, between the consumer eMac and the PowerMac.

Of course the lines of division aren't super clear. But with the introduction of the 17" LCD, the iMac has definitely lost a bit of its consumer lable.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Falleron
I'd like to add something. The iMac wont get usb2, firewire2, bluetooth before the professional lines get them. I dont think so anyway.

Yeah, AND the slot-loading DVDRW only writes DVDs at 1x, whereas the internal trayloader is 2x in existing Desktops/iMacs so Apple wouldn't go backwards on this.

Whilst we're on the top of the 17" iMac, we got one this week and it's got the non-Pioneer SuperDrive (I think it's LG?), and the tray that comes out is REALLY light and thin, it could easily break. This is not the quality I expect.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by gotohamish
Yeah, AND the slot-loading DVDRW only writes DVDs at 1x, whereas the internal trayloader is 2x in existing Desktops/iMacs so Apple wouldn't go backwards on this.
I'm thinking that the DVD-R capabilities of the TiBook Superdrive is purposely kept at 1x because of heat issues. I base this on something that I think I read about the slot loading DVD-R/RWs having either 2x or 4x burning speeds.

Makes sense to me.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Better not........

I would only hope that Apple would have the "courtesy" to release a 19" LCD for my PowerMac (remember, the professional line) before they did so for an iMac (isn't that suppose to be the consumer line).

But, then again, I am likely to be completely wrong.....after all, "consumers" have a 17" widescreen option.....and "professionals" don't. :rolleyes: To make it more interesting, aside from aspect ratio, I believe (can't find the evidence at the moment) the iMac 17" LCD panel is technically superior (brightness, pixel response time, etc) to the 17" Studio display.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the iMac getting it's just improvements......but come on, I bought the PowerMac for the flexibility to add the size monitor I wanted, and being able to add drives, etc The PowerMac is suppose to give me all of the options that the iMac didn't, now granted it does, usually......but, I want a new display already

Sorry to vent, but thanks for listening!

Tim

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
19" iMac makes sense

OK, Here goes...

I think the iMac at 18" or 19" makes sense. I'm using my PowerMac G4 Dual 1ghz (Mirror door) with a Viewsonic 19" monitor. It is wonderful.

But, the Dual 1ghz is overkill for most things (it's great for iMovie or iDVD rendering), but for most things, a 1ghz iMac with the big screen would be fine.

Why is the iMac better?
- the iMac is QUIETER, MUCH, MUCH quieter
- the iMac is cooler, it doesn't heat up the room after it's been running for a while.
- The PowerMac has speed, but it's really a beast of a machine.

A 19" iMac would really go after the "Pro-Sumer" home market. Linux geeks, Music buffs, Digital Video buffs (zooming in Photoshop is much better at 19" than 17").

Please, please apple, release an iMac 19" and I'll gladly put my PowerMac on eBay.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: 19" iMac makes sense

Originally posted by tcmcam
OK, Here goes...

I think the iMac at 18" or 19" makes sense. I'm using my PowerMac G4 Dual 1ghz (Mirror door) with a Viewsonic 19" monitor. It is wonderful.

But, the Dual 1ghz is overkill for most things (it's great for iMovie or iDVD rendering), but for most things, a 1ghz iMac with the big screen would be fine.

Why is the iMac better?
- the iMac is QUIETER, MUCH, MUCH quieter
- the iMac is cooler, it doesn't heat up the room after it's been running for a while.
- The PowerMac has speed, but it's really a beast of a machine.

A 19" iMac would really go after the "Pro-Sumer" home market. Linux geeks, Music buffs, Digital Video buffs (zooming in Photoshop is much better at 19" than 17").

Please, please apple, release an iMac 19" and I'll gladly put my PowerMac on eBay.

Thank you for that nice piece of conversation. Took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree! ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by dongmin
Why does the iMac HAVE to be a 'consumer' machine?

Well mostly because Jobs has continuously referred to it as a consumer machine, in his 4-square product plan, and it's worked quite well at selling units for the past several years. One of the things that lead to Apple's "breakdown" was a blurring of lines and an overdone production line that just cost too much and proved too difficult to manage. In my opinion, any consumer machine over $1600 blurs the line, but hey, the 17" is a damn cool machine.

From the business point of view, and this may sound cold... You don't want professionals with professional budgets spending less for a machine that has the screen space they need when they could be spending a lot more. You're not gouging the consumers, you're taking advantage (heh) of a user base that really depends on Macs for a lot of things...

:)
pnw

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by paulwhannel

Well mostly because Jobs has continuously referred to it as a consumer machine, in his 4-square product plan, and it's worked quite well at selling units for the past several years. One of the things that lead to Apple's "breakdown" was a blurring of lines and an overdone production line that just cost too much and proved too difficult to manage. In my opinion, any consumer machine over $1600 blurs the line, but hey, the 17" is a damn cool machine.

From the business point of view, and this may sound cold... You don't want professionals with professional budgets spending less for a machine that has the screen space they need when they could be spending a lot more. You're not gouging the consumers, you're taking advantage (heh) of a user base that really depends on Macs for a lot of things...

:)
pnw

when sj introduced the 4 square matrix in 98 or 99, it made sense

but now with the power of all machines, all well over 500 mhz, everything is actually able to do "pro" stuff

there are professional, fortune 500 clients of my business, who have sub 300 mhz G3 running machines in their catalog/publishing departments

the slowest mac at 600 or 700 mhz, agp graphics, is way beyond that

everything in a real fortune 500 sense, is pro stuff

i hate to admit it, but i will...he he...but almost any pc out there can do pro level graphic design

there, i said it...

apple needs to continually innovate and be one step ahead in industrial design and ease of use over the pc world

they have the better video cards, more software, and faster processors/ram/system buses

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I'm not sure if they will go back to slot-loading...

Both of the iMacs (slot-loading) I own have had their fair share of mechanical problems.

I even got a rebate in the mail after a court-case was settled over issues with the slot-loading drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.