Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Please, could someone try if Warcraft III 1.26a works on Mountain Lion? It is my most played game over LAN ..

Last edited:

molson2k

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Please, could someone try if Warcraft III works on Mountain Lion? It is my most played game over LAN ..

It's impossible. The only way to play Warcraft III and/or Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is to install the game on Snow Leopard, patch the game up so it becomes an Intel-native app. Then upgrade to Lion and/or Mountain Lion.

You cannot do a fresh install of Warcraft III on Lion or Mountain Lion.

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
It's impossible. The only way to play Warcraft III and/or Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is to install the game on Snow Leopard, patch the game up so it becomes an Intel-native app. Then upgrade to Lion and/or Mountain Lion.

You cannot do a fresh install of Warcraft III on Lion or Mountain Lion.

You can download the game client from Blizzard. Took 90 minutes on our U-verse connection. Works perfect.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It doesn't work. Warcraft III launches and works fine but there seems to be an issue with Frozen Throne. It SHOULD work but I guess there's a bug that prevents it from loading. Hopefully a patch is released to address this.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
You can download the game client from Blizzard. Took 90 minutes on our U-verse connection. Works perfect.

Could you please tell me what to do exactly? I've read about that method before after the Lion problems but couldn't find it on the Blizzard website…A link perhaps? (Of course my copy is legal so I've got a product key)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Warcraft III clients on the Blizzard.net will download an installer to your hard drive. It will not work because it is for the PowerPC environment, killed by Lion. If you already had Warcraft III installed when you upgraded to Lion, Warcraft III runs, but the Frozen Throne icon has the international "no" symbol over it (circle with a hash through it) and says the obligatory "Frozen Throne can't run because the PowerPC environment is no longer supported" message.

And, to top it all off, Warcraft III, although it does launch, is virtually unplayable because most of the images on screen have no textures. Can't read much, can't see much. Broken.

So, how are you playing Reign of Chaos without black textures? How are you launching Frozen Throne at all?

Would LOVE to get my Warcraft III back . . .

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Warcraft III clients on the Blizzard.net will download an installer to your hard drive. It will not work because it is for the PowerPC environment, killed by Lion. If you already had Warcraft III installed when you upgraded to Lion, Warcraft III runs, but the Frozen Throne icon has the international "no" symbol over it (circle with a hash through it) and says the obligatory "Frozen Throne can't run because the PowerPC environment is no longer supported" message.

And, to top it all off, Warcraft III, although it does launch, is virtually unplayable because most of the images on screen have no textures. Can't read much, can't see much. Broken.

So, how are you playing Reign of Chaos without black textures? How are you launching Frozen Throne at all?

Would LOVE to get my Warcraft III back . . .

Maybe your post isn't as clear as you intended it to be but Warcraft III/Frozen Throne do work in Lion (no issues, assuming you patched everything before you upgraded to Lion). As for Mountain Lion, nothing has changed from Lion so both should work if you upgraded. Or so I thought. Like I said earlier, RoC works with zero issues but FT just crashes and gives "Warcraft III Quit Unexpectedly" error.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Maybe your post isn't as clear as you intended it to be but Warcraft III/Frozen Throne do work in Lion (no issues, assuming you patched everything before you upgraded to Lion). As for Mountain Lion, nothing has changed from Lion so both should work if you upgraded. Or so I thought. Like I said earlier, RoC works with zero issues but FT just crashes and gives "Warcraft III Quit Unexpectedly" error.

Well, I never knowingly patched them. I downloaded them onto my shiny new iMac back in 2010 and they worked great. Played them here and there and was pleased to know I'd get through Frozen Throne someday (Finished RoC campaign and the Bonus WoW style supermap, can't remember what it was called, though).

You're right, my problems with the textures must be because I never patched them from Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Wow, the madness continues . . .

After reading about the patches, I thought I'd run Warcraft III to try to patch it from within the game. Patch downloads, then crashes. I go to manually execute the patch, and the patching program is PPC only, so no go. Mother of God. Can't Blizzard just post the fully patched games for download? You need a battle.net account and a valid game key, so there's the proof you bought the damn thing. Crikey.

SiDVacant

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Warcraft III Frozen Throne on Mountain Lion

im playing Warcraft III ROC and Frozen Throne on Mountain Lion GM

works fine.

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne also crashes for me on Mountain Lion. I've tried a few things to get it to work, included copying the installed, working game from a Lion machine. Nothing will work. It continues to crash. RoC opens just fine though. Weird!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne also crashes for me on Mountain Lion. I've tried a few things to get it to work, included copying the installed, working game from a Lion machine. Nothing will work. It continues to crash. RoC opens just fine though. Weird!

My experience. Seeing as how Warcraft III works, I hope Blizzard comes through with a patch or something to make Frozen Throne work.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, this all sounds even more frustrating than just the Lion transition. I'm in a situation right now where I'm trying to get my Mac WC3 install copied so over to friends with a new iMac and a separate licence. Still such a good LAN game indeed, especially in this age of otherwise "always online" games!

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Windows version over WINE should work fine but... I would like native version - Are you trying it on GM? :( Could you post crash report here?

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Windows version over WINE should work fine but... I would like native version - Are you trying it on GM? :( Could you post crash report here?

First snippet of the crash report:

Code:
Process:         Warcraft III [9789]
Path:            /Applications/Warcraft III Folder/Warcraft III.app/Contents/MacOS/Warcraft III
Identifier:      com.blizzard.WarcraftIII
Version:         1.0
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [147]
User ID:         485413366

Date/Time:       2012-07-19 11:21:01.933 -0600
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Report Version:  10
Sleep/Wake UUID: AFBDC2DA-C21B-4AA7-BEAB-22BC065A1F87

Interval Since Last Report:          56079 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           2
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1
Anonymous UUID:                      BECE203E-2337-4693-AF36-6C337D12AF1E

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000375d000

Full crash report: http://pastebin.com/qNfkgZCX

SiDVacant

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Sorry

I forgot.

Blizzard's official 1.26a Frozen Throne does not work on Mountain Lion.

So I had to modify Frozen Throne.app. then works fine.

If you want modified file. email me. Ripper@me.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.