PDA

View Full Version : Smaller iPad Costing "Significantly Less" Than $499 Coming This Fall, According to NYT

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/15/smaller-ipad-costing-significantly-less-than-499-coming-this-fall-according-to-nyt/)

The New York Times has added to the concerto of reports (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/technology/apple-may-meet-tablet-competition-with-smaller-ipad.html) hinting at the arrival of an iPad with a 7.85" screen this fall. Two weeks ago, Bloomberg offered a similar report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/bloomberg-ipad-mini-coming-in-october/), also citing anonymous sources. iMore reported something similar (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/10/7-inch-ipad-with-retina-display-coming-in-october-priced-at-200-250/) back in May.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/NewImage9.pngMockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/23/this-is-what-a-7-85-inch-ipad-looks-and-feels-like/) of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign (http://www.ciccaresedesign.com/))The company is developing a new tablet with a 7.85-inch screen that is likely to sell for significantly less than the latest $499 iPad, with its 9.7-inch display, according to several people with knowledge of the project who declined to be named discussing confidential plans. The product is expected to be announced this year.Amazon has seen some amount of success with its 7" Kindle Fire, while Google recently launched its Nexus 7 tablet. A so-called iPad Mini, priced aggressively by Apple, could prevent other companies from flanking Apple with cheaper tablets equipped with a smaller screen.

In October of 2011, Tim Cook said on an earnings call (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-records-q4-2011-earnings-of-6-6b-on-28-3b-in-revenue-tops-100-billion-in-sales-for-fiscal-2011/) that he was "very confident about our ability to compete and extremely confident in our product pipeline."

Article Link: Smaller iPad Costing "Significantly Less" Than $499 Coming This Fall, According to NYT (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/15/smaller-ipad-costing-significantly-less-than-499-coming-this-fall-according-to-nyt/)

Jonnyfive
Jul 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Can't wait! Looking for an ereader that is small and doesn't feel archaic.

Skika
Another day, another iPad mini rumor.

Noiseboy
I'll take one of those thank you. Not been able to justify a full size one because my laptop is always with me but cheap is good:)

Mr. Gates
Jul 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
Gee, I thought it would be more ........:rolleyes:

Gimmie color e-Ink or no thanks

Klae17
Jul 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
I look forward to the end of Kindle and the Nexus. :p

Adidas Addict
Jul 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Oh god, not that mock up picture again.....

Neobond
Jul 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
At $200 I'm sold no questions. Most likely will be 16gb $300, and if so I need more information.

lyricthejoe
Jul 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
I would use an iPad Mini more than I think I would a regularly sized one. I would think that typing would be much easier/ similar to the iPhone thumb typing style, and several games already available could really take advantage of this. A never-ending rumor, I know, but here's to hoping it's true this time. :rolleyes:

Monkey Butler
Jul 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
I still like the idea that the 'iPad mini' is in fact going to be the next generation iPod Touch. There's not really any reason to keep the screen size of the Touch locked in, especially if the iPhone's screen size is changing.

iapplelove
Jul 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
At this point give me one good reason why apple shouldn't make a "mini" iPad?

ChristianJapan
Jul 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
a smaller iPad and cheaper is also something I would give to my son. with some parental control he could start learning email and use facetime with family. Of course one for Papa, too.:D

neiltc13
Jul 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
The main things I want a tablet for are reading Google Reader and browsing the web. Nexus 7 does both of these just as well as iPad, but it's £159 instead of £399.

I opted for Nexus 7. I think a lot of others will be doing the same when they realise just how good value it is.

Stridder44
Jul 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
There's really no reason not to do this. Can't wait to see it

Moonjumper
Jul 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
I like my 9.7" iPad, but I know something a bit smaller would suit some people better. It should work well at 1024x768 resolution. I would like to see it, even though I won't be a customer myself.

iBreatheApple
Jul 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
I love Sunday posts. :apple:

adildacoolset
Jul 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Why do I keep gettingthe feeling that these are controlled leaks?

blackcrayon
Jul 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
I would use an iPad Mini more than I think I would a regularly sized one. I would think that typing would be much easier/ similar to the iPhone thumb typing style, and several games already available could really take advantage of this. A never-ending rumor, I know, but here's to hoping it's true this time. :rolleyes:

One thing I like about the current iPad is that i can type at pretty high speed in landscape mode... Of course it's different when you're holding it in the air vs. when there's a surface or your lap to put it on.

dreamora
Jul 15, 2012, 06:35 PM
Somehow all these articles forget that apple can't release anything in the 6.5 - 8.5" range thanks to the millions they pushed into lawyers the past 2 years to piss of the galaxy tab and get it banned by proofing that it 'was like an ipad' visually cause samsung owns the 6.5 - 8.5" range of that design.

should they release such a thing, then samsung basically has an autoban at hand unless the design differs significantly from past ipads and hell will freeze before apple is going to break with their own design.
in this case it wouldn't be significantly cheaper cause it would cost apple a 2-3 figure million USD amount due to their arrogance and anticompetitive competition fighting patterns in the past

deecasey
Jul 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
An iPad mini will make a great Xmas present for the girlfriend but I seriously doubt I'd need one or even buying one to fall between my iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

TSE
Jul 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
Already ordered a Nexus 7.

With Apple iOS products, you are really just buying for the superior ecosystem nowadays, unless you absolutely need a Retina display. Good for some people, not necessary for others.

blackhand1001
Jul 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
The main things I want a tablet for are reading Google Reader and browsing the web. Nexus 7 does both of these just as well as iPad, but it's £159 instead of £399.

I opted for Nexus 7. I think a lot of others will be doing the same when they realise just how good value it is.

Yup it also has a much higher dpi than the rumored ipad mini. Around 216, which in my opinion is the best compromise between battery life and display quality. The ipad 3's 260dpi require them to use a gigantic battery. And the ipad 2's 130 was far too low.

arcite
Jul 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
iPad mini.....like a gateway drug to a full sized iPad. :cool:

Jonnyfive
Jul 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
I still like the idea that the 'iPad mini' is in fact going to be the next generation iPod Touch. There's not really any reason to keep the screen size of the Touch locked in, especially if the iPhone's screen size is changing.

This is so brilliant it is probably true

blackcrayon
Jul 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
Somehow all these articles forget that apple can't release anything in the 6.5 - 8.5" range thanks to the millions they pushed into lawyers the past 2 years to piss of the galaxy tab and get it banned by proofing that it 'was like an ipad' visually cause samsung owns the 6.5 - 8.5" range of that design.

should they release such a thing, then samsung basically has an autoban at hand unless the design differs significantly from past ipads and hell will freeze before apple is going to break with their own design.
in this case it wouldn't be significantly cheaper cause it would cost apple a 2-3 figure million USD amount due to their arrogance and anticompetitive competition fighting patterns in the past

2-3 million USD? I guess divided over the volume of iPad minis produced that might raise the price by a few cents for each one. Sounds like it'd be worth it ;)

jeffe
Jul 15, 2012, 06:40 PM

I don't think we'd be seeing these articles at all if it wasn't for the Nexus 7.

Sith Vol
Jul 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Looks like I'll need to save up a lot for this fall. A smaller iPad would be perfect. New iPhone and new iPad.....sorry wallet.

Mactekk
Jul 15, 2012, 06:44 PM
We have iPads, I just wish they would update the iMac and Mac pro.

Time Less
Jul 15, 2012, 06:45 PM

I know right? Nexus 7 what?

Che Castro
Jul 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
Less than $499

Knowing apple that means $400-450

reallynotnick
Jul 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Less than $499

Since the iPad 2 is $399 and I'm expecting the mini to be about the same but just with a smaller screen I'm guessing it will be $299.

SirHaakon
Jul 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Do you expect it to look different?

Westside guy
Jul 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
Oh, good - there's the mockup picture!

I hadn't seen it for a few days, so I was worried MacRumors had misplaced it.

olegandbuster25
Not very excited- going directly against the wishes of the wise Steve Jobs.
Hopefully Tim is right about this.

blow45
Well, Cook, that product pipeline has just been slapping lg's and samsung's retina's on a mac and an ipad so far, spec bumps to the notebook line up, same old boring imacs, and same old boring iphone two year old (with antennae fix) design...we are really waiting to be amazed here...:rolleyes: I hope it's not the tv set, cause not everyone is that hot about that's been referred to as product pipeline.

As for the ipad mini, I am in the market for one, I like this form factor and it makes me do away with other devices, although to be honest android in terms of software development seems like a better platform right now from the stagnant ios.

I really don't know however why google decided to shoot themselves in the foot and not include an sd card slot. This has got to be one of the dumbest decisions in hardware manufacturing in recent memory. Here your competitor who's already established in the market is about to release a new product, you finally brand your own tablet, and instead of giving yourself the one advantage the other guys don't have, the expandability of the storage to finally get some more people in the platform, and have storage to buy your wares from the play store, you give them storage levels that are non expandable and piss poor for having anything other than a few books and apps in the device.

Dumb, dumb, dumb decision by google.

I guess the market needs the bad ass bold fat boy from redmond and his ms troop to show them a thing or too. Ms is making the biggest come back in computer history via tablets. Mark my words boys. Balmer will finally become a success story in the consumer space.

nw9
I agree. In my opinion the original sized iPad wasn't the best for a portable e-reader. It's the same reason why I prefer small paperback books instead of giant hardback books when there were no e-readers.

The price of the current iPad is too high to be used mainly as an e-reader but if the mini iPad is $199 like the others then more people might be willing to buy it just for reading and other media.

macs4nw
Jul 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'll take one of those thank you. Not been able to justify a full size one because my laptop is always with me but cheap is good:)

My thoughts exactly!! If the price came in around the $249 mark and that's a big "IF". The apple eco-system ~ video, music, photo's, email, web browsing, etc. plus a potentially very nifty little universal remote to de-clutter the coffee table.

Westside guy
Jul 15, 2012, 07:04 PM

And won't have weeks of battery life.

I'm hoping this tablet comes out, and I will be buying one if it does - but I'm not throwing away my Kindle 3.

DrNoellyG
Jul 15, 2012, 07:05 PM

This. I enjoy the current iPad and have no difficulty typing, but if it were just a tad smaller I could type even faster.

MacAgnostic
Jul 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
Oh god, not that mock up picture again.....Yeah, maybe use this one. It might not be right, but at least it's different.

SockRolid
Jul 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
“Once they get above 50 percent, it’s almost impossible, unless they totally screw up, to dislodge them,” Mr. Baker said.

Pretty much sums up the post-PC pad computing market. Apple is way over 50% already. Good luck to everyone else.

It will be fascinating, in a driving-slowly-past-a-train-wreck way, to see if and when Microsoft ever announces Surface pricing.
It really feels like they're waiting for several things to happen:

1. 3rd party Surface makers (if any) announce their prices, and
2. Apple either announces the iPad mini and its price (or doesn't), and
3. Nexus 7 sales numbers start to come in.

On the other hand, maybe Microsoft will never actually ship Surface. That would obviate any pricing announcement.
Ballmer has apparently pulled back from rolling Surface out as an actual product. He's said that "Surface is just a design point."
Maybe just to keep all those old-school PC OEM partners from calling in air strikes on Redmond, Washington.
Maybe just to have an "out" in case market studies show that Surface will completely fail no matter what the price is.

----------

Less than $499

Knowing Apple, everyone expected the first iPad to start at $999.

blow45
Jul 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
And won't have weeks of battery life.

I'm hoping this tablet comes out, and I will be buying one if it does - but I'm not throwing away my Kindle 3.

I 've been very disappointed with the dead slow development of e-ink or similar non light emissive tech. The ipad's success has stifled innovation for competitors. I am still dying to have on my hands a kindle dx with a proper parer contrast like screen and good dpi, maybe triton with colour too, although I don't care so much about colour. I was an early adopter of eink even before the kindle was out and like I said I am very disappointed with the non advancements.

doobybiggs
Jul 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Less than $499

neh ... they said "significantly less" so I am thinking $450-475

:p

blow45
Jul 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Pretty much sums up the post-PC pad computing market. Apple is way over 50% already. Good luck to everyone else.

It will be fascinating, in a driving-slowly-past-a-train-wreck way, to see if and when Microsoft ever announces Surface pricing.
It really feels like they're waiting for several things to happen:

1. 3rd party Surface makers (if any) announce their prices, and
2. Apple either announces the iPad mini and its price (or doesn't), and
3. Nexus 7 sales numbers start to come in.

On the other hand, maybe Microsoft will never actually ship Surface. That would obviate any pricing announcement.
Ballmer has apparently pulled back from rolling Surface out as an actual product. He's said that "Surface is just a design point."
Maybe just to keep all those old-school PC OEM partners from calling in air strikes on Redmond, Washington.
Maybe just to have an "out" in case market studies show that Surface will completely fail no matter what the price is.[COLOR="#808080"]

I am afraid to say you are going to be eating your words in a year's or so time when the surface has been out for a while and microsoft are coming as a choo choo train blasting through the tablet arena. Provided they don't shoot themselves in the feet somehow. Remind me to remind you what you were saying when the time comes. :) Don't underestimate the redmond giant, even a sleeping giant is still a giant, and they have been rudely awakened recently.

SirHaakon
Jul 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah, maybe use this one. It might not me right, but at least it's different.
You wish it would have that aspect ratio. The mockup you like to complain about is a lot more realistic.

Rogifan
Jul 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Another rumor from people who declined to be named. Yawn.

topocalypse
Jul 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
I never thought it would actually come true. It's time to throw away my first iPad. Its just awfully slow.

newdeal
Jul 15, 2012, 07:25 PM

Actually i would disagree because of the poor amount of vertical space in landscape orientation. This will display the same amount as a full sized ipad in landscape just slightly smaller. That is a win to me

gatearray
Jul 15, 2012, 07:27 PM

I like this idea, too, but for a more diabolical reason.

Right now, to most people, a "tablet" is an iPad. If Apple is really smart, they won't dignify the competitions 7" tablets by naming their smaller tablet an iPad at all. For if they did so it would only serve to legitimize these half-sized touchscreen devices and dilute the iPad brand as a whole.

Making it part of the iPod Touch family would much more clever, and would leave Google and Amazon with iPod Touch category devices-- not the iPad "tablet" competitors they thought they were selling (at cost). :)

einmusiker
at $299 and if it is LTE compatible it will kill all competition

Westside guy
Another rumor from people who declined to be named. Yawn.

That info was buried deep in the story - some supposed industry dude going by the handle "Tim C."

east85
Jul 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
I feel like there's really nothing new in this article apart from the fact that The New York Times has been covering it. I suppose this is substantial because it adds to the credibility of the claim, but I am anticipating further news regarding developments involving parts and other solid evidence. Apple sure has been doing an impressive job at keeping this project under wraps.

Is it finally coming? I really hope so. I will buy it.

Hakone
Jul 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
In other news, the Earth is not flat.

MR1324
Jul 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
if it doesn't have LTE, then i don't think I will be buying.

MacAgnostic
Jul 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
You wish it would have that aspect ratio. The mockup you like to complain about is a lot more realistic.I'm not wishing, but it isn't baseless, and the screen is the same aspect ratio, just not the bezel.
Also, the home button is right size instead of 20% smaller.

bharatgupta
Jul 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
it would be a great product and i wish apple best of luck!

u guys rock and we love you

MythicFrost
Jul 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
It better be no more than $299 for the 16GB model.

boomboom2
Jul 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing it will be $350 for a 16 GB model. Apple likes to keep its profit margins fat.

ermhmm
Jul 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
A 8gb model without a retina display or 3g, if its about hitting a lower price point. The ipad mini makes no sense to me since I can't carry either in my pocket.

banyanjd
Jul 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
The iPhone and iPad are the tentpoles of the PostvPc era. Between them hangs iOS.

So whether it's an iPad mini or an iPod Touch Maxi, it's another ramp into the Eco-system. Over time the device size will proliferate in both directions and your photo streams will exhibit everywhere and face timing will consume about 25% of all your calls.

Mackan
Jul 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
Just be prepared for a very watered down iPad mini, featurewise. Basically, just a larger iPod touch. Personally, I don't have any use for such device.

kycophpd
Jul 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
I just wish Apple would definitively say something about whether or not it's coming, just so I can stop seeing this damn mock up on here every other day.

charlituna
Jul 15, 2012, 07:59 PM

They already do. It's called the iPod Touch.

----------

You may find that the above is NOT true. It all depends on the specifics of the patent on the design. If it specifies the 9.7 inch size of the iPad then that's the only size Apple can fight for using said patent. But something tells me that they didn't specify a size, just for that reason.

davidgrimm
In October of 2011, Tim Cook said on an earnings call (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-records-q4-2011-earnings-of-6-6b-on-28-3b-in-revenue-tops-100-billion-in-sales-for-fiscal-2011/) that he was "very confident about our ability to compete and extremely confident in our product pipeline."

In the history of CEO's only one has ever said in an earnings call that he's "iffy" about their ability to compete or in their product offerings. That guy was immediately taken out back and beaten by his largest shareholders.

I'm pretty sure the RIM CEO feels "confident in our product pipeline" and he's got squat coming.

knucklehead

If Apple released a mini like that, I would reflexively vomit ...

sananda
Jul 15, 2012, 08:01 PM

9to5 Mac seem to be getting the same feeling:http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-finally-leaks-7-85-inch-ipad-rumor-to-new-york-times-on-eve-of-nexus-7-launch/

charlituna
Jul 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
I just wish Apple would definitively say something about whether or not it's coming, just so I can stop seeing this damn mock up on here every other day.

Never been Apple's style, not likely to ever be Apple's style.

CausticPuppy
Jul 15, 2012, 08:06 PM

It'll be WiFi only. I would bet my beer on that. Like I said in the other thread, I think it'll be branded as an iPod Touch rather than an iPad Mini. Either way it'll replace the current iPod Touch, and then the iPod brand will be associated primarily with music again, rather than a gaming/media device.

Regardless of what it's called, I think the market they're going after are iPod Touch owners that want to upsize, but don't want to shell out the $$$ for an iPad, and still want something nearly as portable.

What else would they do, keep the existing 3.5" form factor, while the iPhone gets a 4" screen? Or will they make a 4" iPod?

Maybe it will be called an iPad Mini, but it'll replace the iPod touch. Otherwise, they'll be selling two completely different products at almost the same price point. That makes zero sense!

charlituna
Jul 15, 2012, 08:07 PM
9to5 Mac seem to be getting the same feeling:http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-finally-leaks-7-85-inch-ipad-rumor-to-new-york-times-on-eve-of-nexus-7-launch/

Course they paint it that Apple is telling this information but they have nothing to back that up. It's going to be a laugh when Dec 31 rolls around and this mini iPad hasn't seen the light of day because it's not real and Apple leaked nothing to anyone. It would make more sense what with Tim Cook's comments about doubling down on secrecy

MacinDoc
Jul 15, 2012, 08:07 PM

Are you trying to say that Samsung can somehow ban Apple from making an iPad that looks like an... iPad???
Yup it also has a much higher dpi than the rumored ipad mini. Around 216, which in my opinion is the best compromise between battery life and display quality. The ipad 3's 260dpi require them to use a gigantic battery. And the ipad 2's 130 was far too low.
Assuming the same resolution as the iPad 2 in a 7.85" form factor, the pixel density of an iPad Mini should be similar to that of the Nexus.
At $200 I'm sold no questions. Most likely will be 16gb $300, and if so I need more information.
Yep, probably $299 for 16GB, with the same internals as the iPad 2. And they may continue to sell the iPad 2 for $399, just as they are selling the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 and the 3GS at price points to cover most of the market.

gorskiegangsta
Jul 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Gee, I thought it would be more ........:rolleyes:

Gimmie color e-Ink or no thanks

We'll sorely miss you.:rolleyes:

jaw04005
Jul 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Wow. AAPL should have a blockbuster second-half 2012. I really hope the iPad mini debuts with Apple's rumored new content service.

I wonder if the iPod touch goes away?

mohsy90
Jul 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
"significantly less" than $499

...thats when you know we're getting ripped off on the iPhone at $599+

jacobtaylor1987
Jul 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
That extra .85" is going to be a killer.
If Apple prices this close to the Nexus and Kindle Fire, you will be seeing a lot of people go "Hey, that looks equally as portable, but with a bigger display".

This is sure to give Apple an absolutely decimating lead in the tablet market.

Which, to be honest, will be awful for competition.
Then again, iOS is still going to be competing in the phone market, so it's unlikely to stifle innovation that much.

G51989
Jul 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
Less than 499 means a low price point I hope, with the Nexus at 199 Apple will need to price the mini iPad not to far off from that to compete.

iLilana
Jul 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
the post that will not die. apple doesn't need this or want it. It goes against the simplicity mandate. ipad, ipod touch/iphone 3 different products they renew every year that will dominate the market for a time to come. No reason for the mid model.

G51989
Jul 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
the post that will not die. apple doesn't need this or want it. It goes against the simplicity mandate. ipad, ipod touch/iphone 3 different products they renew every year that will dominate the market for a time to come. No reason for the mid model.

Apple doesn't need this or want it? So they'll just let companies like Google walk in and take all the profits from people who want a tablet smaller than an iPad?'

Also, in a couple of these threads, I've heard people say " But Steve said no way! " or something along those tunes.

NewsFlash: Steve Jobs is DEAD, Apple couldn't care less about what he ' might have thought '.

SpyderBite
Jul 15, 2012, 08:30 PM

Yup. Cause WiFi hotspots are so far and few between these days. :rolleyes:

racer1441
Jul 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Shut up and take my money!

Also, I want this to be true to rub it in the face of that guy who posted this wouldn't exist because 'tablets are my business'.

zodqyv
Jul 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
Already ordered a Nexus 7.

With Apple iOS products, you are really just buying for the superior ecosystem nowadays, unless you absolutely need a Retina display. Good for some people, not necessary for others.

I have yet to find an Android product that I didn't absolutely hate, while at the same time I love all of the current Apple hardware. It's as simple as that.

JohnDoe98
Jul 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
NewsFlash: Steve Jobs is DEAD, Apple couldn't care less about what he ' might have thought '.

Right, and it is reported Steve even told the people he left in charge not to ask, "What would Steve do/say" but to simply focus on making great products and to always do the right thing. He learnt this lesson from watching Disney constantly ask what Walter would have done, stagnating as a result.

D.T.
Jul 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
at $299 and if it is LTE compatible it will kill all competition

I suspect an option for 3G but not for LTE.

Less than 499 means a low price point I hope, with the Nexus at 199 Apple will need to price the mini iPad not to far off from that to compete.

I’d say within $100 and it’ll be very competitive, so $299 or less.

I believe what we’re basically going to see is an iPad 2 Mini. Same A5 (actually the gen 2 showing up in later iPad models), same resolution, same cameras, maybe fewer RAM options, or _potentially_ an even lower capacity model to make an even closer Nexus 7 competitor, i.e., a $249 8GB model (and a $299 16GB model, $399 32GB model).

There might also be some cost savings in going with a cheaper case material (plastic vs. aluminum). I think they’ll use the new display tech from Sharp, reducing thickness and keeping comparable battery life to the iPad, but with physically smaller batteries.

G51989
Jul 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
I have yet to find an Android product that I didn't absolutely hate, while at the same time I love all of the current Apple hardware. It's as simple as that.

And that's your opinion, it doesn't make Android bad, in many ways, the high end Android Devices blow the iPhone out of the water.

I have an iPhone ( business phone, free ), and a mid range Android Phone, both of them pretty much do exactly the same thing, they just work different.

iOS is great, and I think Android is as well. And to be honest, the Next Windows Phone looks like its ahead of both by a huge margin ( never underestimate microsoft, remeber when people said the xbox would sell 4 million units tops and fail? yeah..... ).

I super hope the Next Windows phone forces Google and Apple to step it up, because I am so so hoping the iPhone has some kind of killer feature that makes me want to buy it

tech4all
Jul 15, 2012, 08:38 PM

You know even Steve Jobs said back when he came to Apple in the late 90's during the famous keynote that we have to stop thinking that in order for Apple to win Microsoft must loose.

I think the same applies here. Google makes great products. Apple makes great products. I use both.

Only fanboys from either side wants the other side to loose. Apple's not going anywhere. Google's not going anywhere. Get over it.

Not very excited- going directly against the wishes of the wise Steve Jobs.
Hopefully Tim is right about this.

So just because Steve Jobs didn't want it, you're not excited about it?

Honestly, as an Apple fan, Android is really quite nice. I honestly can't believe I'm saying that. I find it a pleasure to use Android.

If you want straight forwardness use iOS. Want more nerdy stuff and customization use Android. Simple as that.

jacobtaylor1987
Jul 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
Course they paint it that Apple is telling this information but they have nothing to back that up. It's going to be a laugh when Dec 31 rolls around and this mini iPad hasn't seen the light of day because it's not real and Apple leaked nothing to anyone. It would make more sense what with Tim Cook's comments about doubling down on secrecy

The only one being laughed at will be you.
Once Bloomberg, NYT and other mainstream media outlets began reporting it, it was essentially confirmed. The organisations do rigorous fact checking on their articles and aren't on the same level as other MacRumors sources.

ChrisA
Jul 15, 2012, 08:42 PM

The iPod Touch sells for $200. This new mini-pad will sell for more than that but less than $500. These is not much room. Split the difference and it's $350. I'm betting on just slightly less then than that.

PJMAN2952
Jul 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thats it. I give up on this rumor!

http://my-popart-portrait.com/images/table_flip_flipping_rage_face_meme_poster-r178e62e5ca3545aea21aab9c814d5d41_jih_328.jpg

ChrisA
Jul 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
iOS is great, and I think Android is as well. And to be honest, the Next Windows Phone looks like its ahead of both by a huge margin ( never underestimate microsoft, remeber when people said the xbox would sell 4 million units tops and fail? yeah..... )....

Yes they sold many xbox but only because Microsoft lets them go way-cheap. They don't make any money on the xbox. MS did it only because they thought the game console was going to be the next big thing and did not want to be left behind. Now they will do the same with tablets, sell then as either zero profit or at a loss just to keep up.

The only thing MS got right and did very, very well was Word and Excel. They became popular and you needed a Windows system to run Office. No now liked Windows, they liked Office but you needed Windows to run Office. The rest is history

G51989
Jul 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
Right, and it is reported Steve even told the people he left in charge not to ask, "What would Steve do/say" but to simply focus on making great products and to always do the right thing. He learnt this lesson from watching Disney constantly ask what Walter would have done, stagnating as a result.

Indeed, but some of the the die hard Apple fans think Apple still cares what steve jobs would have done, which is excactly why Jobs told Apple to not care about what he " might do " because that would ruin the company.

Microsoft still has the advantage of Going to Bill Gates in a tough decision ( the Man is a software/business Genius ).

Apple can't just run to Jobs, so they need to think about what should be done, not what steve might have done.

swarmster
Jul 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Less than $499

Yeah...like reallynotrick below, I'm going to have to question how well you 'know Apple'. What event(s) are you basing that on? Them cutting their OS price to "less than $129". The rumours that the iPad would be "less than $1000"?

Since the iPad 2 is $399 and I'm expecting the mini to be about the same but just with a smaller screen I'm guessing it will be $299.

Although I will say I have trouble figuring out how a smaller screen, smaller battery, and increased miniaturization can allow a price to be cut in half. I guess with the iPad 2 as a 'starting point' you're only talking $100-200. And I guess you're also saving on the...aluminum?

MR1324
Jul 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yup. Cause WiFi hotspots are so far and few between these days. :rolleyes:

if it was so widespread, there would be no market for mobile data

Yamcha
Jul 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
I would love to see an iPad starting at the same price as the Nexus 7 $259 (CAD).. I was actually planning on buying a Nexus 7, but might hold off If we see a cheaper tablet from Apple..

CapnJackGig
Jul 15, 2012, 09:04 PM

iPad will never kill the Kindle. As long as I can't use my Kindle outside, it's a useless device.

ChrisTX
Jul 15, 2012, 09:06 PM

When they come from reputable sources like NYT that's the only plausible answer.

URFloorMatt
Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Why do I keep gettingthe feeling that these are controlled leaks?Because it's plain as day. And probably no coincidence that it's the eve of the Nexus 7 launch.

You have to figure with the iPhone slotted at $199 on contract, this will be $299, which still puts it at a premium over the other two. But I suppose that's Apple's bread and butter.

iPhone gen -2: $0 on contract
iPhone last gen: $99 on contract
iPhone current gen: $199 on contract
iPad mini: $299 base
iPad last gen: $399 base
iPad current gen: $499 base

Makes you wonder what the future is for the iPod Touch, particularly when a year from now there's a last gen iPad mini available.

JAT
Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Owns? What?

iOS is great, and I think Android is as well. And to be honest, the Next Windows Phone looks like its ahead of both by a huge margin ( never underestimate microsoft, remeber when people said the xbox would sell 4 million units tops and fail? yeah..... ).

What does any of this have to do with tablets? The MS tablet was so under-discussed at its own announcement, I'm not even sure it is an electronic device.
iPad will never kill the Kindle. As long as I can't use my Kindle outside, it's a useless device.
You may want to reread that comment.

emjaymert
Jul 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
will Apple make one? I don 't know. The nexus 7 is already on the market and selling like hotcakes.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/14/quick-nexus-7-sellouts/
If Apple wants to compete it ll HAVE to be better than the nexus 7 and sell at a similar price.

gorskiegangsta
Jul 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
"significantly less" than $499

...thats when you know we're getting ripped off on the iPhone at $599+

The iPhone costs more to manufacture because more miniaturized components such as cellular radios, the logic board and the NAND flash modules are, in some cases, more expensive to manufacture. That's not to say that Apple still doesn't make healthy profits from iPhones, though.

Thex1138
Jul 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
He culled the plethora of computers Amellio had spewed onto the market...
As soon as Jobs had gone... Cook raised salaries of a few executives...
..and has now added 2 15 inch MacBook Pros.. a Retina and non-retina.. a 13 inch Pro and 13 inch Air and 11 inch Air...
Now we will have something else Jobs didn't want.. a 7 inch tablet...

Amellio did it for money, is Cook doing it to cover all these markets or for basing it on quality of design... or is the 7 inch simply a red herring...
:apple:

Hakone
Jul 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
$279 for 8GB, $349 for 16GB

Bubba Satori
Jul 15, 2012, 09:34 PM

Why?

Rogifan
Apple would only release a 7" device if they could make something that would blow away the competition and still provide a healthy profit. Google and Amazon aren't in it to make money off hardware. Apple is. The no way this works is if Aplle comes up with something that makes the Nexus look like child's toy.

URFloorMatt
..and has now added 2 15 inch MacBook Pros.. a Retina and non-retina.. a 13 inch Pro and 13 inch Air and 11 inch Air...

Amellio did it for money, is Cook doing it to cover all these markets or for basing it on quality of design... or is the 7 inch simply a red herring...
:apple:The iPod line is about to get the axe (especially after this announcement), so I wouldn't worry too much. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded the iPod touch and iPod nano as iPads and put the iPod name/brand to bed entirely.

We could be looking at a September event for the new iPhone with no new iPods, and then a major restructuring announced at an iPad event in October, where the line is reorganized under the iPad name, the shuffle and the classic are put out to pasture, and the new mini is introduced alongside a slightly refreshed 3rd gen model that has the new pin connector and tweaked panel that reduces heat output.

Also, I think in a year or two, the Air name will be retired (in favor of just the MacBook), and all their notebooks will be retina displays, eliminating the competing lines. In the meantime, Apple will be pushing EPEAT to change its standards in the event that the new Retina MacBooks don't receive certification.

MacinDoc
Jul 15, 2012, 09:36 PM

I’d say within $100 and it’ll be very competitive, so $299 or less.

I believe what we’re basically going to see is an iPad 2 Mini. Same A5 (actually the gen 2 showing up in later iPad models), same resolution, same cameras, maybe fewer RAM options, or _potentially_ an even lower capacity model to make an even closer Nexus 7 competitor, i.e., a $249 8GB model (and a $299 16GB model, $399 32GB model).

There might also be some cost savings in going with a cheaper case material (plastic vs. aluminum). I think they’ll use the new display tech from Sharp, reducing thickness and keeping comparable battery life to the iPad, but with physically smaller batteries.
Agree that LTE is a battery hog and will not be in the iPad Mini. And if Sharp's IGZO is ready to go, I suspect Apple will use it. Not sure about an entry model at $249, which might cannibalize the sales of its bigger brother too much. $299 would allow Apple to make almost as much profit as it makes on "the new iPad", so the company wouldn't care which iPad you buy. But if you buy an iPad Mini (that cost, say, $200 to make) for $249, Apple makes a lot less money than if you buy an iPad (that cost $350 to make) for $499.

And I'm pretty sure plastic is out of the picture.

kcamfork
Jul 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
I never thought it would actually come true. It's time to throw away my first iPad. Its just awfully slow.

Yeah. Apple is great at planned obsolescence aren't they. The original iPad is two years old. It still should work well, and it should be included in software updates. Period.

SeaFox
Jul 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Why?

ObjectiveV
Jul 15, 2012, 09:56 PM

Why?

----------

Why?

I like the way you think.

Rocketman
Jul 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
There should be a thread on how it will be crippled as compared to what is practical and desired in terms of hardware features to compel and force an upgrade a year from now. Maybe a pool. Are they legal in all states?

Rocketman

ouimetnick
Jul 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
But what about the iPod touch? Will they discontinue it and replace it with the "iPad mini"?

Dgail
Jul 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
There is room in my life for one along with my current iPad 2. I travel to my employment as a hospitalist 200 miles from my regular residence, we are "block scheduled" that is we do a number of shifts and have a block of time off.

I carry my iPad 2 for regular off time consumption, and would be able to carry the 7.85 in my lab coat pocket for rounds. My Boomer eyes will thank me for this looking up medication doses in Epocrates under dimly lit situations.

In medical practice while we are with patients, we do mostly consumption, looking up and sharing results and imaging studies. I unfortunately have to go back to a Windows workstation to actually implement anything.

On my days off, I use my MBP at my desk, and the iPad in the living room, and a smaller one would likely be used at work, traveling and as my bedtime eReader.

solarguy17
Jul 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
I don't understand why ppl keep saying the iPod touch will be eliminated becuase the iPad mini do everythin and more at a similar price point. The fact is, the iPod touch isnt going anywhere. I truely suspect what we will see this time is an iPod touch upgrade to 128gb, and the iPod classic discontinued completely. The nano upgraded to what we saw a few days ago, looked a bit like a Zune mini. And the shuffle with get the current nano design.
The iPad mini isn't an iPod touch replacement simply becuase of the size difference. While the iPad is a great music player it simply is t piratical oba train or walking across campus. I know what your going to say, "ppl have a iPhones for that" but if that's the cases then why do they sell a billion iPod touches every year anyway. The fact is the iPod touch will be the new high capacity iPod and may one day be eliminated simply becuase the iPhone sells so many phone that the touch model is t need. But that day isn't this yr or next.
The iPad mini should a good product and I suspect the big cost savings will be wifi only (at first) and no Retina display.

einmusiker
Jul 15, 2012, 10:34 PM

that would be a step backwards. Not that Apple hasn't stepped backwards before but I don't see it here

ComputersaysNo
Jul 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
A wild thought appears: How about a 'pad that is first of all a navigationdevice, leaning heavily on their new map-system? So it could include a GPS-receiver, and for a small montly fee over-the-air updates, trafficinfo and... *ba-da-bum* a searchfeature with Siri to get you to the closest store of your liking a.s.a.p.

the8thark
Jul 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
People still believe this will happen?
Well I guess it is a very entertaining rumour. That's something.

mrsir2009
Jul 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
What's up with the mockup pic :confused:

Virinprew
Jul 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Keep it coming. Rumors are our breakfast.

MacInTO
Jul 15, 2012, 11:32 PM
This probably wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive. However, this is a chase for market share. There is a segment that want a smaller (than existing iPad) and larger than the iPod/iPhone.

Why do I need this again?

Navdakilla
Jul 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
Easy buy

christophermdia
Jul 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
I just picked up a Nexus 7,,,,if indeed an iPad mini comes out, I will certainly get it, however, this Nexus 7 is a great little device....Even though my entire house is littered with apple products, I am very much entwined in the google environment. I have a gmail account, use picasa for my pics, rely on my google reader account to stay up to date with news, etc....etc....This tablet has made everything easy and seamless in a google environment.

Now the attractive thing about an ipad mini, is mostly my investment in apps and the apple ecosystem. I would have to hang on to both devices to see which meets my ultimate needs the most. Android makes things difficult to maneuver, however, you can rest assured there is an app that will help you survive the ecosystem, whether it be for your music, movies or whatever you may need. I think nothing will ever replace my iPad...I am even on our companies iPad "team" where I beta test and create iPad apps for our marketing efforts. However, a 7" tablet is so convenient for throwing in a back pocket, or suit jacket. Going to Europe next month, I will bring both tablets, but will probably make most use of the Nexus for its size alone.

My biggest hangup right now is iMessage, which I use extensively with my family. only time will tell if apple goes this route, but I sure hope so.

Illusion986
Jul 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
I don't have a really good use for iPad just play games and mess around...But smaller cheaper iPad might make sense to me for those entertainment reasons as i justify smaller amount of money for that and perhaps find actual serious reason for it later ;)....assuming its in $300 range which i doubt it will be

di1in
Jul 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
When is fall?

Lancer
Jul 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
Screw the iPad, unless it's 27" I want my new iMac!

faroZ06
Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
If it costs a lot less, this could start the eventual death of the regular iPad like how the 17" MBP died.

----------

Screw the iPad, unless it's 27" I want my new iMac!

Exactly ^^^

----------

Same here. I made $200 doing work for my neighbor, and I think the work I did is much less than the advantages and joy of the mini iPad.

MacInTO
Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
If it costs a lot less, this could start the eventual death of the regular iPad like how the 17" MBP died.

I think Apple is hoping to capture some of the market share for a smaller than regular iPad.

Only time will tell.

Karma*Police
Jul 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
I don't get why some people with smartphones, especially with 4.3"+ displays, would want a 7" device. It's far less portable and usability gains are minimal. The apps are exactly the same and even browsing the web requires too much zooming in and out to be a truly great experience.

stuffradio
Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 AM

$300 and it's not worth it. Why would you pay just a little more to get the full blown deal? $200-250 is the killer price. Apple could compete easily at 300, but $250 would kill those $200 devices.

netdoc66
Jul 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
I want this. I don't care what any of you trolls say.

Piggie
Jul 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
I would love to see an iPad starting at the same price as the Nexus 7 $259 (CAD).. I was actually planning on buying a Nexus 7, but might hold off If we see a cheaper tablet from Apple..

And perhaps, just perhaps THIS is actually the very reason these "deliberate leaks?" are appearing so much right now?

MareLuce
Jul 16, 2012, 01:28 AM
I don't get why some people with smartphones, especially with 4.3"+ displays, would want a 7" device. It's far less portable and usability gains are minimal. Because, whenever I leave the house:

- A Mini would provide a much better app usage and web experience than my iPhone. Of course, ideally there would be a handsome attendant who would carry a Retina MacBook Pro for me so I could I use that beautiful display while on trips, running errands, etc.

- I would not drain my iPhone's battery by using a Mini for 'frivolous' fun on the Mini when my next iPhone re-charge opportunity is uncertain, and being able to receive calls is critical.

- A Mini would slide easily into my purse, and hopefully would feel a lot less than heavy than my iPad 2.

- And (Eureka!) it would make all the guys jealous who only have their smartphones with woefully smaller screens because they don't carry a purse with a Mini! Would it be correct to say, "Yea.... my pixel count is bigger than yours..."

haisir
Jul 16, 2012, 02:01 AM
iPad mini.....like a gateway drug to a full sized iPad. :cool:
a bigger ipod :(
Lenteen

dolph0291
Jul 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
QUOTE=stuffradio;15256441]$300 and it's not worth it. Why would you pay just a little more to get the full blown deal? $200-250 is the killer price. Apple could compete easily at 300, but $250 would kill those $200 devices.[/QUOTE]

I agree. $250 is the sweet spot.

Sensation
Jul 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
Needs to be better than the Nexus 7, unlikely for Apple to sell it at cost price.

gpat
Jul 16, 2012, 03:02 AM
My bet is on $299, and on the fact that people will love it.

champ01
Jul 16, 2012, 03:35 AM
You know what.... Let Apple make a smaller iPad to make it harder for the competition.
Sorry but that's just a complete BS reason for Apple to launch a product.

WHO THE F### GIVES A SHIZ ABOUT THE COMPETITION ALL WE NEED IS GOOD PRODUCTS!

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/50000/2000/500/152554/152554.strip.gif

iPadPublisher
Jul 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
As a consumer, I have no interest in this smaller iPad product. I like mine just the way it is. Frankly, the move from the iPad to iPad 2 was brilliant. Thinner, lights... it was the perfect compliment to the first product (in my opinion).

But as a business person who publishes content for the iPad, I'm perfectly fine with it. From that angle, introducing this smaller iPad will not take people AWAY from the product. It might not bring in as many NEW people as Apple hopes (or it may be another run away success), but it won't take people off the platform.

So rock on, either way.

----------

I want this. I don't care what any of you trolls say.

Ha ha... do your thing man... haterz gon hate...

Ping Guo
Jul 16, 2012, 04:18 AM
Over time the device size will proliferate in both directions and your photo streams will exhibit everywhere and face timing will consume about 25% of all your calls.

Why do you say that? Is Facetime some sort of runaway success? Neither I nor anyone I know use it. Then again, most people I know don't care for video calling.

MarkCollette
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 AM
A wild thought appears: How about a 'pad that is first of all a navigationdevice, leaning heavily on their new map-system? So it could include a GPS-receiver, and for a small montly fee over-the-air updates, trafficinfo and... *ba-da-bum* a searchfeature with Siri to get you to the closest store of your liking a.s.a.p.

I agree, there's a lot less need for Cellular if you have GPS and an offline map. The calendar could determine where you plan to be for the next day or so and have that area already downloaded.

tomsamson
Jul 16, 2012, 04:58 AM
I would get one if it would cost 200 for 16 GB, (299 if it has 3G) and the hardware internals were the same as the ones of the iPad 3 at least.
(I don´t think Apple would do that package at that price this year though, more likely each option would cost 100 more or have 8 gig less storage for the base model)
Usability wise i think the around 7 inch size is actually handier than the large current iPad size in most use cases, the latest current one with both its size and not that low weight for that size is actually not that comfortable to hold for longer timespans in one go.

Lancer
Jul 16, 2012, 05:21 AM
I'd consider a mini iPad at the right price, it would supplement my iPhone, now if it had a good GPS receiver then I could get some navigation software and have a nice big GPS for the car! Okay not quite as big as the 10" but that's probably overkill for most cars.

GorgonPhone
Jul 16, 2012, 05:51 AM
Another day, another iPad mini rumor.

smart move to get the price very low cause if the price is right i will get one just for my car.. since my ipad 3 is too big for that..lolol:D:D:D

----------

My bet is on $299, and on the fact that people will love it.

299 is too high unless its fro 32 gig model..lol and 249 for 16 gig:cool:

MrWoot
Jul 16, 2012, 05:59 AM
It seems like a decent idea, but I'm not sure if it will take off

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
I think if people want an iPad - they want a full sized iPad. And if they want something smaller - they're going to get either a dedicated e-Reader or something like the Fire, Nook or another 7" tablet. While the price might be competitive (are we thinking $250?) - I just think that most people if they actually WANT an iPad will buy the full sized one.

I could be horribly wrong, of course.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah. Apple is great at planned obsolescence aren't they. The original iPad is two years old. It still should work well, and it should be included in software updates. Period.

As if apple is the only company that does this. You don't think 2 years from now Google will have something better than the Nexus 7 that they'll want you to buy? How many Android phones are running (or will be getting) ICS? Or JB? After my 2-year contract was up I ditched my HTC phone because I knew it would never get the latest Android software (oh and the battery sucked).

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 06:29 AM
As if apple is the only company that does this. You don't think 2 years from now Google will have something better than the Nexus 7 that they'll want you to buy? How many Android phones are running (or will be getting) ICS? Or JB? After my 2-year contract was up I ditched my HTC phone because I knew it would never get the latest Android software (oh and the battery sucked).

How often do you replace your phone anyway? If you had the iPhone - are you saying you wouldn't upgrade after 2 years?

Bezetos
Jul 16, 2012, 06:32 AM

One brand, one phone, one tablet designed by our Eternal Leader, so that each worker may bloom, secure from the pests of any contradictory true thoughts. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8)

We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.

We shall prevail!

Thunderhawks
Jul 16, 2012, 06:39 AM

I think we need a more serious discussion over several pages about whether they will call it the iPod touch 6 or 5S or 7 or just new iPod Touch.

It's really important!

And, let's call everybody an idiot who doesn't agree with Apple's naming schemes.

Les Kern
Jul 16, 2012, 07:22 AM
"Significantly less than 499"

I'll do the translation:

"Starting at 399."

allmIne
Jul 16, 2012, 07:23 AM

Can I ask why the existence of two products you've no obligation to buy offends you so? Especially given their very existence has spurred the creation of the product you look forward to?

Strange.

GermanyChris
Jul 16, 2012, 07:35 AM
"Significantly less than 499"

I'll do the translation:

"Starting at 399."

I was thinking $489

Chupa Chupa
Jul 16, 2012, 07:47 AM

The only reason Apple wouldn't make it is if it couldn't make a good margin at a reasonable MAP & the product still resemble an Apple product.

There are too many rumors in mainstream pubs for the "mini" not to be bubbling to the surface (ha ha). The question now is will it be an iPod Touch Max or an iPad Mini or something completely different. I think it will be an iDevice mash up, more dependent on Apple's ecosystem (at least as shipped) & Siri as the default input, not the virtual keyboard. It's not Apple's style to make a "me too" product, ESP. when it invented this type of tablet.

OllyW
Jul 16, 2012, 07:54 AM
I think it will be an iDevice mash up, more dependent on Apple's ecosystem (at least as shipped) & Siri as the default input, not the virtual keyboard.

Has SIRI reached the stage where it's good enough for that?

When I've tried it I've had very patchy results getting it to accurately recognise what I'm trying to say with my regional accent.

fithian
Jul 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
$299

ph0rk
Jul 16, 2012, 08:23 AM

Sigh. Yeah, because 100 books in your hand available at the push of a button is totally farking Victorian, man, if it isn't in color. Antediluvian, even.

patseguin
Jul 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
What's the point of even making this? A somewhat more cost effect tablet?

Shaun, UK
Jul 16, 2012, 08:36 AM
The thing I find most interesting about this story is the admission that Apple themselves have been making the controlled leaks about this product to the mainstream media. In the past there has always been some degree of speculation as to where these rumours come from and Apple has always denied leaking information to the press to my knowledge.

If Apple is leaking this information then it can only be for one reason - to encourage potential customers to put off their Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire purchase and wait to see what the iPad Mini is like, which must mean Apple is concerned about losing sales to these guys.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
so 199€ for the high end iPod Touch, 299€ for the low-end iPad mini and 469€ for the iPad 3?

wouldnt they kill each other?

chleuasme
Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
If Apple is leaking this information then it can only be for one reason - to encourage potential customers to put off their Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire purchase and wait to see what the iPad Mini is like, which must mean Apple is concerned about losing sales to these guys.
And if it's not Apple and if no 7.85" iPad is planned,
then you can imagine actual 7" tablets hardware makers and supporters have interest in these rumors, creating more appeal to this middle-size tablet category,
and after frustration not seeing Apple releasing the iPad Mini, customers persuaded a smaller tablet is what they need would have to find in other platforms the way to go.
:eek:

TurnTronics
Jul 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
I don't think the iPad mini will be less than $399 USD. It will fly off the shelves and give consumers who have been on the fence a chance to enter the Apple world at an attractive price point.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
I don't think the iPad mini will be less than $399 USD. It will fly off the shelves and give consumers who have been on the fence a chance to enter the Apple world at an attractive price point.

how is 399$ attractive if u can get the big one for just 70 bucks more?

farmboy
Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 AM

:apple:

Other than the salaries, all of these events were well along in development while Jobs was still working there, and presumably with his knowledge and approval.

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
The only one being laughed at will be you.
Once Bloomberg, NYT and other mainstream media outlets began reporting it, it was essentially confirmed. The organisations do rigorous fact checking on their articles and aren't on the same level as other MacRumors sources.

We'll see in the next few months which of us is right.

MacCurry
Jul 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
The ONLY competition is going to be the Nexus 7, and if this iPad "mini" is 7.85", it will certainly be interesting. I suspect it will only come with wifi and only 16 GB to keep prices low and not eat in to iPad sales.

I just got the Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and it is as smooth as the iPad3.
The Kindle is dead.

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
will Apple make one? I don 't know. The nexus 7 is already on the market and selling like hotcakes.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/14/quick-nexus-7-sellouts/
If Apple wants to compete it ll HAVE to be better than the nexus 7 and sell at a similar price.

1. It's not Apple's style to design or price to compete

2. that article says they sold out but doesn't tell us how many units that means. Oh Game Stop says all their stores sold out. No so impressive if we find out that each store only got 1 unit to sell. Same with the other sellouts. How many units is that. And lets revisit in 30 days and see how many were returned. The numbers at that point could take the shine off those sold out announcements.

Sedrick
Jul 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Apple doesn't need this or want it? So they'll just let companies like Google walk in and take all the profits from people who want a tablet smaller than an iPad?'

Apple is doing that very thing by keeping the 3.5" screen on the iPhone. (and the proposed stretched version won't change that).

We all know that if Apple also had a 4.3"-4.5" iPhone, Android's number would shrink enormously and Apple's profits would hit the stratosphere.

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
This probably wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive.

Hasn't happened yet.

As for the Steve Jobs comment. Remember that tech doesn't happen over night. IF something is happening it likely started while Steve was still the CEO of record and would have given his opinions and had them very strongly refuted to the point of convincing him that he's wrong. Meaning that yes it would have happened if Steve was still alive.

----------

The thing I find most interesting about this story is the admission that Apple themselves have been making the controlled leaks about this product to the mainstream media.

And when and where exactly did Apple admit they are leaking out info. Not NYT or such claiming Apple as the source but a confirmed rep from Apple, listed by name and title, actually admitting to leaking information in advance to the media.

JAT
Jul 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
Why?

----------

I like the way you think.

Probably wants the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 series to dominate.

Soulman
Jul 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
An iPad mini will make a great Xmas present for the girlfriend but I seriously doubt I'd need one or even buying one to fall between my iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

I would love to take my unlimited at&t sim out of my (out of contract) iPhone 4 and put it into my iPad mini at will...

floobie
Jul 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hm. I'm still skeptical, but these rumours are definitely increasing in frequency lately.

So much so, that I think I'm going to wait and see what happens. I've been thinking about finally picking up an iPad, but I'd prefer a smaller one. If waiting a few months will get me that, I'll do it.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
How often do you replace your phone anyway? If you had the iPhone - are you saying you wouldn't upgrade after 2 years?

No. If I like the new iPhone I will upgrade from the 4s when my contract is up. I think this whole "planned obsolescence" nonsense is just that, nonsense. But if there is such a thing in the tech industry Apple is not the only company playing that game.

----------

Can I ask why the existence of two products you've no obligation to buy offends you so? Especially given their very existence has spurred the creation of the product you look forward to?

Strange.

What evidence is there that Apple is releasing a smaller iPad because of the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7? That's just the media meme being thrown around. Heck we don't even know if Apple will be releasing anything. It's all rumors at this point.

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
----------

[/COLOR]

What evidence is there that Apple is releasing a smaller iPad because of the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7? That's just the media meme being thrown around. Heck we don't even know if Apple will be releasing anything. It's all rumors at this point.

There's no proof re: being competitive. There's a lot of supporting evidence though. For example - statements by Apple execs to the tune that they did their research and the tablet size they picked was optimal and anything smaller wouldn't be practical.

Now that 7" tablets are selling (and I KNOWWWW that they aren't selling in near numbers to the iPad) Apple "reverses" its decision that anything smaller than the current iPad in tablet form wouldn't be smart.

On the flip side - you have the history of Apple stating things and then "seemingly" reversing their position. I believe this is planned misdirection. IE - Apple definitely had plans for iBooks yet Steve stated in a keynote that they weren't going after that market - that no one really reads anyway, yadda yadda.

At the end of the day - it doesn't matter if they are trying or not trying to be competitive against other products in the marketplace. That's how it will be perceived by the public. Just like so many people on here think that because Apple made things popular or were first with some things - that everyone else is putting out products to compete with them specifically.

mentaluproar
Jul 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
We've heard this before.

If apple released a smaller iPad, they would be mocked that it was just a slightly larger iPod touch. When other companies do it, it's a completely different response.

mantan
Jul 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

I think $349 will be closer. $100 isn't enough to make people jump from the current model.

But if there was a $299 model it would FLY off shelves. At $349 people would still be itchy.

Heck for $299 I am positive I'd buy one for me, one for mom, one for the MIL and one for the kids to share.

applecomputer76
Jul 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
I am afraid to say you are going to be eating your words in a year's or so time when the surface has been out for a while and microsoft are coming as a choo choo train blasting through the tablet arena. Provided they don't shoot themselves in the feet somehow. Remind me to remind you what you were saying when the time comes. :) Don't underestimate the redmond giant, even a sleeping giant is still a giant, and they have been rudely awakened recently.
Like the Zune killed the iPod? The days of being able to underestimate Microsoft at all are long gone. The choo choo is archaic. Apple runs maglev.

wolfpackfan
Jul 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
I really think the price for 16GB will be $349 or $399. As much as I'd like to see it at $299, that is just not Apple like to price it that low. The problem for me is will I be willing to spend $100 more for it over the Nexus 7. Probably so, but at $150 more probably not.

mantan
Jul 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
I really think the price for 16GB will be $349 or $399. As much as I'd like to see it at $299, that is just not Apple like to price it that low. The problem for me is will I be willing to spend $100 more for it over the Nexus 7. Probably so, but at $150 more probably not.

But it is like Apple to low ball an entry level device that'll make you spend a little bit more.

Sort of like the 8 gig iPod touch. People outgrow it quick and move to the next bigger size. I could see a $299 8-gig, $379 - 16 gig....enough to give a sub $300 option (market sweet spot), but spec it out in away most people will buy bigger.

$399 is isn't significant enough for people to not get regular iPad...unless it's 3G capable...a whole other issue...

wolfpackfan
Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
I doubt they would do an 8GB version. It would be pretty much DOA. You can really look at this two ways. Would you choose a $249 Nexus 7 over a $349 iPad mini because of it's lower price. Or would you choose a $349 iPad mini over a $249 Nexus 7 because of it's perceived better quality. I could see your average person split over this. Like others though, I think a $299 iPad mini would fly off the shelves. I know myself, I would buy 3 of them (one for myself and one each for my son and daughter for Christmas). At $399, I think Apple is going to have trouble selling the units. Too close to the regular iPad price IMO. I know at $399, I will probably buy a Nexus 7 and son and daughter will get money for Christmas.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
There's no proof re: being competitive. There's a lot of supporting evidence though. For example - statements by Apple execs to the tune that they did their research and the tablet size they picked was optimal and anything smaller wouldn't be practical.

Now that 7" tablets are selling (and I KNOWWWW that they aren't selling in near numbers to the iPad) Apple "reverses" its decision that anything smaller than the current iPad in tablet form wouldn't be smart.

On the flip side - you have the history of Apple stating things and then "seemingly" reversing their position. I believe this is planned misdirection. IE - Apple definitely had plans for iBooks yet Steve stated in a keynote that they weren't going after that market - that no one really reads anyway, yadda yadda.

At the end of the day - it doesn't matter if they are trying or not trying to be competitive against other products in the marketplace. That's how it will be perceived by the public. Just like so many people on here think that because Apple made things popular or were first with some things - that everyone else is putting out products to compete with them specifically.

Fact is we have no evidence Apple will sell a smaller iPad to compete with Kindle or Nexus 7. Theories from wall street 'analysts' or the NY Times is not evidence. Every time someone comes out with a new tablet, phone or computer the media rushes to crown it a [insert Apple product name here] killer and then claims Apple will need to produce something similar to compete.

But Amazon has yet to release sales figures for the Kindle Fire. And in all the stories we're hearing about Nexus 7 devices being out of stock I have yet to see one that gives a sales figure. Of course the stories are giving the impression it's selling well but I'd like to see some actual sales figures (which I'm sure we'll never get from Google) and I'll be interested to see how well it's selling a few months from now when the buzz is the new iPhone and possibly Surface tablet.

jca666us
Jul 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oh please - if Jobs were alive, this would have definitely been released!

This isn't a chase for marketshare, but an attempt at securing the market.

if apple can release a $199 - $299 tablet that provides a user experience as good as an iPad 2, why NOT release it?

This probably wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive. However, this is a chase for market share. There is a segment that want a smaller (than existing iPad) and larger than the iPod/iPhone.

Why do I need this again?

brewno
Jul 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
I hope it releases soon, because I want to use it to read in the metro, where I stay 30min to go to work, and 30min to get back from work. And the advantage over eReaders is that I can read it at night too... Hopefully it will be Retina display.

blow45
Jul 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
Like the Zune killed the iPod? The days of being able to underestimate Microsoft at all are long gone. The choo choo is archaic. Apple runs maglev.

Did you hear me predict the zune killing the ipod, you must be referring to someone else, then. :)

I predicted long before the ipad actually happened that it would blow everyone away. Even before everyone was saying wth do we need a big ipod touch...

But what comes around, goes around, and now I firmly believe the fat bold headed beast from redmond is the dark horse here. They are making a come back the size of nuclear mushroom, and mark my words in a year or so, everyone will be talking about them.

Microsoft is the new Apple.

RobertMartens
Jul 16, 2012, 07:07 PM

Ooh Ooh I know this game. Salesmen play it all the time. It's called 'overcoming the customer's objections'. If the customer can't think of a reason why not to buy the product, they are obliged to buy it.

Let's see, here is my answer. What is the point?

See how I turned it back on you. I'm good.

RobertMartens
Jul 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Oh please - if Jobs were alive, this would have definitely been released!

This isn't a chase for marketshare, but an attempt at securing the market.

if apple can release a $199 - $299 tablet that provides a user experience as good as an iPad 2, why NOT release it?

Apple doesn't study the market as such. They build what they like.

"I you build it, they will come"

If they like it, odds are you will too

G5isAlive
Jul 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Not to point out the obvious, but there is a world of difference between the iPad at $499 and the fire at $199 that would allow for 'significant price difference' but still NOT be price competitive with the fire. People thinking we are going to see a cheap ipad are going to be disappointed.

iapplelove
Jul 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Ooh Ooh I know this game. Salesmen play it all the time. It's called 'overcoming the customer's objections'. If the customer can't think of a reason why not to buy the product, they are obliged to buy it.

To make money and more apple customers which equals more iTunes revenue..

Gosh it's not a hard concept

emjaymert
Jul 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
Its already starting to happen.
http://betanews.com/2012/06/28/would-you-sell-your-ipad-and-buy-google-nexus-7/

MareLuce
Jul 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
A wild thought appears: How about a 'pad that is first of all a navigationdevice, leaning heavily on their new map-system? So it could include a GPS-receiver, and for a small montly fee over-the-air updates, trafficinfo and... *ba-da-bum* a searchfeature with Siri to get you to the closest store of your liking a.s.a.p.Seconded!

G51989
Jul 17, 2012, 08:31 AM

The zune never went anywhere because the stand alone mp3 market was starting to die anway, good product tho, I love my zune HD. To bad it failed.

That guy has a bit of a point, the surface is not an ipad kiler, but I could see it get a decent chunk of marketshare, and kill off the android tablet.

Keyboard? Yes!
Windows 8? Wooo!
Detachable? I'm game.
Io ports? Sold.
X86 processor? Needed.

I think windows 8 tablets will do great, they offer some attractive features that almost. No tablet offers.
Its already generated tons of hype. I can see it doing well.

Back on topic.

Ipad mini? 300 bucks? I'm interested at that price point. I bet lots of people would be

----------

Apple doesn't study the market as such. They build what they like.

"I you build it, they will come"

If they like it, odds are you will too

No, not really. Apple isn't a person, so it can't like or dislike anything ;)

Apple is a business and nothing more, nothing less. If they see a chance to make money, they'll take that chance

jjbuckwild
Jul 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
Random... Was just thinking... Would be awesome to have a DIN or double-DIN setup that would basically just use an iPad MINI as an in-dash touchscreen navigation / multimedia setup-- sooo much crisper display than whatever manufacturers offer OEM... Hope someone does this-- maybe next CES in Vegas??? Anyone have any thoughts??

G51989
Jul 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Random... Was just thinking... Would be awesome to have a DIN or double-DIN setup that would basically just use an iPad MINI as an in-dash touchscreen navigation / multimedia setup-- sooo much crisper display than whatever manufacturers offer OEM... Hope someone does this-- maybe next CES in Vegas??? Anyone have any thoughts??

Oh, that will never get. Stolen

SockRolid
Jul 17, 2012, 12:21 PM

The fact remains that Ballmer has said, in public, these exact words: "Surface is just a design point."

There. I just bookmarked this page and set a Reminder for July 17, 2013.
It will "remind me to remind you what you were saying when the time comes."
I think a year and a month is long enough for Microsoft's little choo choo to get rolling. (Or not.) :)

Continuing your "train" of wishful thinking, why did you add the following caveat?

"Provided they don't shoot themselves in the feet somehow."

Don't you mean this?

"Provided they stop shooting themselves in the feet somehow."

:)

Chupa Chupa
Jul 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
Has SIRI reached the stage where it's good enough for that?

When I've tried it I've had very patchy results getting it to accurately recognise what I'm trying to say with my regional accent.

Siri is coming to the new iPad w/ iOS 6 so Apple must have an improved Siri on deck to the point it feels comfortable w/ a wider release. I'm assuming any new iOS device going forward will feature Siri. Whether its good enough I can't say. Jobs was a perfectionist and he still let the current beta version come preinstalled on the iPhone 4s. I don't perceive Tim Cook being as type-A as Jobs when it comes to product usability so what's to hold it back.

Shaun, UK
Jul 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
And when and where exactly did Apple admit they are leaking out info. Not NYT or such claiming Apple as the source but a confirmed rep from Apple, listed by name and title, actually admitting to leaking information in advance to the media.

That would be an official press release not a controlled leak. Of course Apple are not going to admit to leaking stories to their favoured journalists. Where do you think the stories come from - the tooth fairy?

Anyway read the story yourself...

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-finally-leaks-7-85-inch-ipad-rumor-to-new-york-times-on-eve-of-nexus-7-launch/

topocalypse
Jul 17, 2012, 08:29 PM

I think they intentionally put in 256mb of ram so that they force us to buy the new one when it comes out. It's kinda pathetic, they could have put in 512/1gb at the beginning at very little additional cost. But business is business, makes sense for the, to get more profit.

gnasher729
Jul 18, 2012, 06:43 AM

It's not so much planned misdirection. When you make the decision whether to build and sell a product, you weigh up all the pros and cons, and you might end up with a close call where the cons just barely outweigh the pros. In that case, Apple will obviously not build the product (because the cons outweigh the pros), but they will also give all kinds of reasons why building the product would be an incredibly dumb idea and nobody would ever, ever buy the product. Two years later the situation might be just slightly changed but now in favour of building the product. When that happens, Apple builds the product and gives all reasons why it is such a great idea to build it, and why it always was a great idea.

AppleDeviceUser
Jul 19, 2012, 12:02 PM

Your profile picture goes perfectly with your post! haha. :)

Guomaobaobao
Jul 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Let s waiting to test this rumor.

AppleScruff1
Jul 20, 2012, 11:48 AM

That would be great wouldn't it? Imagine if Apple made everything!! It would simplify buying. :rolleyes:

JoJo Zzang
Jul 22, 2012, 02:40 AM

+ easier to type on (as much as i love the current iPad... typing on it feels more like a chore and a smaller footprint would make it more comfortable)

+ i have a macbook pro and a macbook air. users like myself would appreciate something smaller than an air and larger than an iPhone.

+ watching netflix is ok on an iPhone - but, something on a larger screen and quite portable (yes, iPad is portable, but having a something a tad bit smaller would be nice) to watch media, books and etc on the couch, car, etc would be a godsend.

+ would make playing games feel a little more natural than holding the current size of an iPad.

...etc etc.

different strokes for different folks - but, i would appreciate a 7" iPad. i'm sure i'm not alone. in the mean time... i think i might buy a nexus 7 for the time being. doesn't mean i don't enjoy apple products. but, money talks to companies and might encourage others to notice that a market is there. :apple:

----------

That would be great wouldn't it? Imagine if Apple made everything!! It would simplify buying. :rolleyes:

i don't want to imagine a market of only apple products. competition is healthy. we benefit from it - if one company was dominant... no reason to improve and release only incremental updates. oh wait... :rolleyes:

SockRolid
Jul 17, 2013, 12:43 PM

So yeah. It's been exactly a year since you replied to my comment.
And how is your little Microsoft choo choo train doing, blasting-wise?

Let's see now. Surface has been on sale since October 26, 2012, almost 9 months.
And guess what! Microsoft slashed prices by up to 30% just two days ago.
And why did they do that?

Surface, Microsoft’s first-ever computer, has been largely shunned by consumers and corporate customers since its debut in October, selling just 900,000 units in each of its first two quarters on the market, according to researcher IDC.

Full Bloomberg story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-15/microsoft-cuts-surface-tablet-prices-amid-weak-demand.html

I agree with you in that "even a sleeping giant is still a giant, and they have been rudely awakened recently."
But that rude awakening was from a massive, costly, embarrassing failure called Surface.
The second shoe has dropped. First Windows Phone, now Surface.
Microsoft's only toe-hold in the post-PC era is Xbox, and it's not even mobile.

Risco
Jul 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
Makes total sense, Apple have reached the peak of their sales and expanding the product range and it's diversity is the next logical step.

Bernard SG
Jul 18, 2013, 03:50 PM
Makes total sense, Apple have reached the peak of their sales and expanding the product range and it's diversity is the next logical step.

Epic reaction to an epic bump.

otismotive77
Jul 19, 2013, 03:48 PM
Finally! i hope it's about $300, that'd be awesome. eagerly waiting for it.

asthamapheo
Jul 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
o boy, cant wait for this thing, i hope it offers the retina display. the $375 price tag would be fair enough.

Renzatic
Jul 19, 2013, 06:36 PM
FAAAKKKEE! Apple will never build a tablet smaller than 10". Let alone a non-retina one that uses the same hardware as a year old outdated model.

Are the Macrumors mods smoking cra...-I decided to edit this comment cuz it was a wise move to make-? ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES! Also it must be a slow news day.

And here's a rollseye emote to show how stupid I think this news is.

:rolleyes:

beaniemyman
Jul 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
i hope it offers the retina display and sells for about $350. that would be a ground-shattering deal.