PDA

View Full Version : How to Properly Migrate With a Clean Install to OS X Mountain Lion (From Lion/SL)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hello, all!

Since there was a big fury last July on how "hard" it was to do a clean install of OS X Lion, I made a little 4 page PDF on how to do a proper clean install of Mountain Lion, when upgrading from OS X Lion. This puppy took me 2 and 1/2 hours to write, and get looking nice, and to make it easy to understand. I thought this might help some people out. Since the nice people on this forum have been so nice, courteuous, and saved me from many headaches and from filling out many loan forms at the bank, this is my (little) gift to you all. It's attached to this post. Enjoy! :p

If you find any errors in this document, please let me know. I will work quickly to resolve the error(s).

This guide is also compatible with Users/Developers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

I will soon be releasing another guide on how to apply incremental OS X updates to your USB flash drive. So, you can have 10.8.1, or 10.8.2, or 10.8.3, etc. on your USB flash drive, instead of stock OS X 10.8. That way, you don't spend your entire day installing combo updates once you reinstall. This guide will be out soon. I'm estimating no later than 48 hours after Mountain Lion is launched, OR the first incremental update to OS X 10.8 is released.

EDIT1: Fixed an error causing trademark information to be displayed on all pages. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the most up-to-date version. My apologies for the inconvenience.

EDIT2: Fixed multiple grammar issues, and placement of the trademark text box. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the most up-to-date version. My apologies for the inconvenience.

EDIT3: Included warning that users who backup to a Time Capsule cannot boot into their backups, and must skip the step, but should verify they have multiple backups of their Mac on the Time Capsule. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the most up-to-date version. My apologies for the inconvenience.

EDIT4: Re-wrote step 3, backing up your data. Since you can no longer boot to your Time Machine backups as of OS X 10.7.3, I have changed the recommendation to making sure you have multiple backups of your Mac. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the most up-to-date version. My apologies for the inconvenience.

EDIT5: Included notification that users should deselect all options from the "Settings" drop-down menu in the OS X Migration Assistant. Included information for Mac OS X Snow Leopard users. I strongly encourage all users of this guide to re-download the PDF, so you have the most up-to-date version, with all warnings and system requirements. My apologies for the inconvenience.

EDIT6: As per many requests, I have added detailed images on how to mount the "InstallESD.dmg" in the Finder, how to restore the image to your USB flash drive, and how to wipe your Mac's internal hard drive. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version. However, please note that the new PDF with these changes is currently in an "experimental" status. I'm so fatigued, I cannot tell if the instructions make sense. If they don't please notify me. I will resolve it in the morning, and merge the PDFs together. Thank you!

markrox7
Jul 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hello, all!

Since there was a big fury last July on how "hard" it was to do a clean install of OS X Lion, I made a little 4 page PDF on how to do a proper clean install of Mountain Lion, when upgrading from OS X Lion. This puppy took me 2 and 1/2 hours to write, and get looking nice, and to make it easy to understand. I thought this might help some people out. Since the nice people on this forum have been so nice, courteuous, and saved me from many headaches and from filling out many loan forms at the bank, this is my (little) gift to you all. It's attached to this post. Enjoy! :p

If you find any errors in this document, please let me know, and I will quickly fix it.

EDIT1: Fixed the annoying footer error.

You, sir, are amazing. I believe I speak on everyone's behalf when I say THANK YOU. 

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
You, sir, are amazing. I believe I speak on everyone's behalf when I say THANK YOU. 

You're welcome!

----------

I have fixed a few more errors in the PDF. See "EDIT2" in the original post above for more details. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version.

----------

If an administrator of the MacRumors Forums is viewing this thread, I think a lot of people (including myself), would appreciate it if you could place a sticky on this thread. That way, if somebody does encounter an issue with migration to OS X Mountain Lion, they can quickly refer to my document. This may save plenty of headaches, and will cause less threads to be created regarding Migration to Mountain Lion. This will save you disk space on your server. Again, I'd appreciate it if you could sticky this thread. Thank you.

Killerbob
Jul 16, 2012, 04:12 AM
Very good manual on how to perform a "clean install". Of course by migrating data, applications, etc. from a Time Machine backup you are negating the "clean" in "clean install":)

I was wondering; you talk about "...then boot from your Time Machine backup." First of all, when I do this on my MBP I see the Master and the Recovery HD. I can select a Network, but I never see my Time Capsule. Secondly, even if I did see my TC, how would I boot from it? I could restore it, after for instance reinstalling OSX from the Recovery HD, but I don't think you can boot from your TC.

/Bo

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
Very good manual on how to perform a "clean install". Of course by migrating data, applications, etc. from a Time Machine backup you are negating the "clean" in "clean install":)

I was wondering; you talk about "...then boot from your Time Machine backup." First of all, when I do this on my MBP I see the Master and the Recovery HD. I can select a Network, but I never see my Time Capsule. Secondly, even if I did see my TC, how would I boot from it? I could restore it, after for instance reinstalling OSX from the Recovery HD, but I don't think you can boot from your TC.

/Bo

Well, when I do a TM restore, I uncheck the "settings" box. Then it's practically a clean install. No system settings from 10.7 are copied. Just user data. I didn't recommend that option, because users may not like re-configuring all their system settings. But it's still a clean install, as all remnants of OS X 10.7 are gone.

Now, here's what's up with the Time Machine backup. If you do a backup to a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt drive, without excluding anything from the backup (see photo below), OS X will make it a bootable backup, it will create a version of the OS X Recovery partition on your Mac on your Time Machine drive. That meaning, if you screw the pooch (excuse the clichè expression), you can tell your Mac to boot into the Time Machine drive, and it will boot into a version of the Recovery partition that's on the Time Machine drive, to restore your Machine.

http://s12.postimage.org/5ki9oqmq5/Screen_Shot_2012_07_16_at_8_51_46_AM.png

In regards to booting from your Time Capsule backups, I'm not completely sure, as I don't own a Time Capsule. I will do a little more digging, and try and find an answer for you. If you cannot boot to your backup, then I will edit the PDF, and you can skip the step. Just make sure you have a couple of backups on your Time Capsule, though.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
I have fixed a few more errors in the PDF. See "EDIT3" in the original post above for more details. Time Capsule Users, Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version.

Duncan-UK
Jul 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
This is informative and helpful - can I ask if someone could clarify a couple of things - apologies if they are basic questions.

When I transfer my data back onto the Mac presumably this includes my installed applications? What I mean is it wont trigger Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop to consider it to be a new activation, and therefore refuse because the number of licences or installations has been exceeded?

Secondly - I've read the comments about excluding system files, but will this mean that you lose library components such as application support?

Previously I've always upgraded from Tiger to Leopard etc rather than do fresh installations - am a bit wary about doing a fresh install if it means I lose important supporting files or if it triggers problems with existing applications.

Thanks in advance for any responses

gpsouza
Jul 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks dude :)
I'm using the GM version of Mountain Lion and I didn't do the clean install from Lion. Should I proceed with the same steps upgrading from my GM version to Retail version as is for Lion?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
This is informative and helpful - can I ask if someone could clarify a couple of things - apologies if they are basic questions.

When I transfer my data back onto the Mac presumably this includes my installed applications? What I mean is it wont trigger Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop to consider it to be a new activation, and therefore refuse because the number of licences or installations has been exceeded?

Secondly - I've read the comments about excluding system files, but will this mean that you lose library components such as application support?

Previously I've always upgraded from Tiger to Leopard etc rather than do fresh installations - am a bit wary about doing a fresh install if it means I lose important supporting files or if it triggers problems with existing applications.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Ello, Duncan! (Excuse the shotty attempt to be a Brit...)

When you transfer your data back onto your Mac, your apps will be transferred too, because the Applications folder is a system directory. So, your apps will be transferred. Now, when I've done clean installs, I've had mixed results with triggering an application's activation wizard. With MS Office for Mac 2008 & 2011, I haven't had it reset the activation. Out of 6 clean installs of Lion in the past year, it's only asked for my key again once. I also have Photoshop, but I have PS Elements. Photoshop asked me for my key every fresh install. However, I excluded the all the System files, including the Application Support folder, etc. My recommendation to you is that you deactivate your license in Photoshop before doing a clean install. Below is a link to a help article on Adobe's site on how to deactivate Photoshop. The instructions are for Photoshop on Windows, but it should be the same for OS X. With Microsoft Office, it'll be fine. Just be sure to deactivate Photoshop, just to be safe.

Activation, deactivation | Adobe products (Activation, deactivation | Adobe products)

----------

Thanks dude :)
I'm using the GM version of Mountain Lion and I didn't do the clean install from Lion. Should I proceed with the same steps upgrading from my GM version to Retail version as is for Lion?

I don't see why these instructions wouldn't work on the Mountain Lion GM. As long as you can use disk utility to copy that image to a USB flash drive, and boot to your iMac's internal recovery partition, and format your internal drive, you should be good to go.

gpsouza
Jul 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
I don't see why these instructions wouldn't work on the Mountain Lion GM. As long as you can use disk utility to copy that image to a USB flash drive, and boot to your iMac's internal recovery partition, and format your internal drive, you should be good to go.

Ok, I'll see when the time comes xD

AndyMoore
Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Not that I've ever tried but I've always been led to believe that a Time Machine backup isn't bootable.

3. Backup your Mac with Time Machine, then boot from your Time Machine backup to verify your backup. Shut down your Mac. Then, immediately hold down the ALT-Option key on your keyboard after pressing the power button. Use the arrow keys to select your Time Machine Backup, and press enter. If you can boot into your backup, then you’ve veri!ed its stability. Restart your Mac to boot back into your normal OS X environment.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
When you boot from a TM backup disk, you'll just boot into a TM version of the Lion Recovery HD. The reason I recommend booting from your TM backup, is to make sure you have a way to restore your Mac, in the unlikely event something goes wrong. See the photos below for what happens when you boot from a TM backup.

Now, I just tried to boot into my TM backup. I wasn't listed as a valid boot device. I did a lot of digging, and found out it you could boot to a TM drive in OS X 10.7, 10.7.1, and 10.7.2, but once you get up to 10.7.3, you can't anymore. I wasn't aware of this change, and I'll be removing the steps from the PDF. Thank you for making me aware of this issue.

----------

I have fixed a few more errors in the PDF. See "EDIT4" in the original post above for more details. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Crazy Badger
Jul 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Think this is a really comprehensive guide and I know backing up your data should be a given, but I think it should probably be added just in case some people follow this without realising that it will actually erase their bootable Macintosh drive. Maybe just an additional step in the Preparation section and then a big warning around step 13/14.

Would be something Apple would be proud of then ;)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Think this is a really comprehensive guide and I know backing up your data should be a given, but I think it should probably be added just in case some people follow this without realising that it will actually erase their bootable Macintosh drive. Maybe just an additional step in the Preparation section and then a big warning around step 13/14.

Would be something Apple would be proud of then ;)

What do you mean, I should add backing up data to the PDF? It's already i there. As for a big warning around step 13/14, I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

ammusk
Jul 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Thank you for this ... Definitely will be helpful next week

andy8
Jul 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hi All,

The question may be a no-brainer but I'm still posting because in the past I have only used DVDs to do clean installs, all the way from Leopard to Lion.

As such I haven't used a flash disk before. I would like to know if a Flash Disk clean install will be reliable ? I'm a little extra careful and its caused by the years of frequent usage of DVDs to do installation of new OSX.

The post written by "Steve.P.JobsFan" is excellent and I thank you for that.

Weaselboy
Jul 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
As such I haven't used a flash disk before. I would like to know if a Flash Disk clean install will be reliable ? I'm a little extra careful and its caused by the years of frequent usage of DVDs to do installation of new OSX.

They are reliable and many users here have used USB keys to do installs with no problems. If the USB key is defective, it would normally show up as an error when you are creating the installer.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hi All,

The question may be a no-brainer but I'm still posting because in the past I have only used DVDs to do clean installs, all the way from Leopard to Lion.

Flash is actually more reliable. DVDs can be scratched and build up dust. Flash drives are a little more durable than that. The only thing would be to remember that the flash drive is designated as the OS Install Disc and not use it for some other purpose.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi All,

They are totally reliable. Just like other users, I would say they're more reliable. I've done almost 10 installs of OS X Lion with my 8GB Flash Disk, and it's much more reliable. Also, don't forget that USB has a higher read/write speed than an optical disc. It installs in 10 minutes.

----------

I've added more information to the main post.

I'll be creating a guide on how to update your USB flash drive. So, when OS X 10.8.1 is released, you can put 10.8.1 on your USB flash drive. Then, you can also update with OS X 10.8.2, 10.8.3, 10.8.4, etc.

andy8
Jul 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
They are totally reliable. Just like other users, I would say they're more reliable. I've done almost 10 installs of OS X Lion with my 8GB Flash Disk, and it's much more reliable. Also, don't forget that USB has a higher read/write speed than an optical disc. It installs in 10 minutes.

----------

I've added more information to the main post.

I'll be creating a guide on how to update your USB flash drive. So, when OS X 10.8.1 is released, you can put 10.8.1 on your USB flash drive. Then, you can also update with OS X 10.8.2, 10.8.3, 10.8.4, etc.

That will be great ! Thanks for the answer. You are doing a great job !

werlingdervish
Jul 21, 2012, 11:24 AM
This is what I did with my newer Mac that came bundled with the Recovery HD partition on the internal hard drive. I used migration assistant as setup assistant is not available on this Lion machine.

It took me four easy steps on a new iMac (any Mac shipped with Lion) to clean re-install a new OS and recover files.

1) Hold the option key on a restart of the computer and launch the small Recovery HD ( recovery OS with utilities) in its well protected partition on the hard drive.

2) Go to the disk utility option presented to erase/reformat the internal hard drive, i.e. actually it only erases the main partition with its previous incarnation of your full OS and user files that are presumably now buggy, corrupted or other wise compromised.

3) Go next to the Reinstall Mac OSX option. After OKing the internet download, the Apple servers automatically verify you registered computer's eligibility for a Lion OS Download. Download time for the full Lion OS was 40 minutes over cable. [If you are upgrading to Mountain Lion I am not sure if this will take you directly to it. I would definitely make your online purchase of any Mountain upgrade before doing any HD Recovery -- it MAY facilitate a direct download of your purchased OS within Recovery otherwise you will have to go to the app store to re-download an upgraded OS]

4) Now restart you Mac selecting the main internal drive as startup and move back in your user files and fresh install your apps. Since I had multiple user accounts with many docs and multiple picture and audio files on this iMac, I still used migration assistant to bring over the user files form the Time Machine backup. But, by unchecking the migration of applications, system config files and "other" files I got a new install that was clean enough for me, sans orphan apps going back to PowerPC days and other crud in the application support and "Other" folders. iMac performance markedly improved. Took me an hour to migrate 200 GB in files with a thunderbolt drive.

A note of interest is that I could easily manually copy over my old iWeb application directly from a date specific backup folder on my Time machine drive-- the webpages and domain came over with the user files migration. [I temporarily did NOT OK use of the backup drive as my new time machine backup until these selected old apps or files were manually moved] I was also able to view, search-find and copy over specific .dmg installer files directly from date stamped backup folders as I felt they were clean enough for installing recent download purchases of FilemakerPro etc. And, I re-downloaded purchased apps from the App store.

Whatever you do AVOID the Time Machine recovery option in HD Recovery as it simply reloads your HD with ALL the old and/or recently corrupted files. There are no selective options as in migration assistant and no escaping a 2 hour wait of reloading old and corrupt files.

krspkbl
Jul 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
Just posting to say thanks for taking the time to make this!

Downloaded the guide, it will be a big help!

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 21, 2012, 03:31 PM
This is what I did with my newer Mac that came bundled with the Recovery HD partition on the internal hard drive. I used migration assistant as setup assistant is not available on this Lion machine.

It took me four easy steps on a new iMac (any Mac shipped with Lion) to clean re-install a new OS and recover files.

3) Go next to the Reinstall Mac OSX option. After OKing the internet download, the Apple servers automatically verify you registered computer's eligibility for a Lion OS Download. Download time for the full Lion OS was 40 minutes over cable. [If you are upgrading to Mountain Lion I am not sure if this will take you directly to it. I would definitely make your online purchase of any Mountain upgrade before doing any HD Recovery -- it MAY facilitate a direct download of your purchased OS within Recovery otherwise you will have to go to the app store to re-download an upgraded OS]

Whatever you do AVOID the Time Machine recovery option in HD Recovery as it simply reloads your HD with ALL the old and/or recently corrupted files. There are no selective options as in migration assistant and no escaping a 2 hour wait of reloading old and corrupt files.

Your iMac does have Setup Assistant. You know how when you install OS X, and it asks you to setup your language, keyboard settings, create an account, etc? Apple calls the program that asks you to do all of that "Setup Assistant."

I know you can boot into Recovery, and download the OS from there. However, People have had previous issues on wiping their Mac's HD. My process is three steps.

1) Download OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

2) Flash the DMG to a USB flash drive.

3) Boot from the USB flash drive. Wipe the Macintosh HD, and install Mountain Lion.

Done.

However, I spread those 3 steps out over multiple pages. Why? To make things easy to understand.

Hippocrates
Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the guide!

I'm just wondering, if I do not want to go through the hassle of buying a new USB drive... would it be possible if I just press command-option-R and use Internet recovery option (without pre-wipe my current harddisk) to clean install Mountain Lion after it's released?

nampramos
Jul 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
Nice topic! Just what I needed.

I need help, please!

I was trying to do a clean install of ML on my MacBook 5,1 (late 2008) and when I boot it up from an external HDD it goes straight to the part where it tries to install the OS X (that big window with the big X and the progress bar on the bottom).

It stays there for a few seconds and then I get the following message:

"There was a problem installing "Mac OS X".

Try reinstalling."

I rebooted already a dozen times. Used the Disk Utility to verify both the HDD where ML will be installed (which as been correctly formatted and is now empty) and the attached external HDD which contains the installation dmg of ML.

I'm out of ideas now. What the hell is going on?

My MacBook 5,1 supports ML, right?

I checked the dmg installation file of ML before and it check out in Disk Utility.

Hope someone can help! Thanks a bunch!

njaremka
Jul 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
First, thanks for putting this together. I appreciate the work put into it.

Second, if I could make a suggestion (and I've seen similar instructions make a similar mistake), why would you make a backup and THEN check for updates? I think the sequence of events should be to check for all updates THEN make your backups. At least, that's what I would do.

Paulyboy
Jul 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for doing this. Very useful! :-)

-PN

macklos
Jul 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
I would highly suggest creating a bootable backup of the system drive using carbon copy cloner/super duper. Don't rely on Time Machine alone.

Test the clone before wiping the system!

Also Lion Disk Maker (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) is an easy way to create a USB/SD OS installer.

TexasChemE
Jul 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
This is a great guide. Thanks a lot for doing this!

keaide
Jul 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for that great guide! I would like to use it but I don't know if my Windows XP installation that I set up with Boot Camp of Snow Leopard would survive a clean installation from scratch. Do you know that?

chiefroastbeef
Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you William for this guide!

I am still on SL (10.6.8), and decided not to upgrade to Lion because I didn't feel like reinstalling all my apps (Final Cut Studio, Adobe Suite, some web dev apps, and many plugins...). Now that ML is coming out, I would like to make the upgrade, and your tutorial of now carrying over App settings is worth a try.

From all the things I have read, 10.6.8 should upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Do you think I can follow the same instructions upgrading from Snow Leopard?

indycolts2k6
Jul 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
First, I just want to say a big "thank you!" to the author of this thread and documentation - this was exactly what I was looking for.

My first Mac was in 2009 so I guess I'm still a bit of an Apple newb and I really want to do a fresh install of Mountain Lion, just because my Macbook Pro is getting a bit slow and I can tell it's time. I'm a little scared of doing this, just because I've never done it on a Mac, but I'll be following these instructions step-by-step.

Quick question though - I have a 2011 iMac at work and heavily rely on a Parallels VM running Windows 7 for all the PC-only software I have to run - if I do a Time Machine backup will I be able to easily restore my Parallels VM?

Thanks again! :apple:

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 02:54 AM
OS X Mountain Lion will be released in a few short hours for those of us in the United States and Canada. I was hoping to spend a day exploring ML, but I'm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with my PowerBook G4, and forgot my IP of my iMac to remote in, and begin downloading Mountain Lion to it. I probably won't be on it until late tonight.

Anyways....

MODS PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD! I, AND MANY OTHERS WOULD APPRECIATE IT! THANK YOU! :p

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GUIDE WORKS OUT FOR YOU, AND IF YOU ARE ABLE TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF OS X MOUNTAIN LION. IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES, DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME. I WILL WORK AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE TO RESOLVE ANY ISSUES.

----------

First, I just want to say a big "thank you!" to the author of this thread and documentation - this was exactly what I was looking for.

My first Mac was in 2009 so I guess I'm still a bit of an Apple newb and I really want to do a fresh install of Mountain Lion, just because my Macbook Pro is getting a bit slow and I can tell it's time. I'm a little scared of doing this, just because I've never done it on a Mac, but I'll be following these instructions step-by-step.

Quick question though - I have a 2011 iMac at work and heavily rely on a Parallels VM running Windows 7 for all the PC-only software I have to run - if I do a Time Machine backup will I be able to easily restore my Parallels VM?

Thanks again! :apple:

Should work fine. Just make sure nothing is in the "excluded" list of Time Machine. Since we're doing an entire system backup, it should backup the app itself, the settings, and the actual image file of your virtual machine.

This would be the time for me to make a disclaimer. I am not responsible for any damages to data, or your computer. I am working of previous knowledge of how to clean install with OS X Lion. Since they're distributing OS X Mountain Lion the same as OS X Lion, instructions should be the same. Just make sure you have data backups, in the unlikely event something does go wrong!

eNJayBe
Jul 25, 2012, 03:21 AM
Hello,

would this work with using a DVD instead of a USB flash drive?

I've got some spare 4.7GB DVDs but only a 1GB flash drive so I'd need to go out and buy a new USB flash drive. If I did would a 4GB USB drive be big enough or is it safer to get an 8GB?

Thanks

Nick

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hello,

would this work with using a DVD instead of a USB flash drive?

I've got some spare 4.7GB DVDs but only a 1GB flash drive so I'd need to go out and buy a new USB flash drive. If I did would a 4GB USB drive be big enough or is it safer to get an 8GB?

Thanks

Nick

It's safer to get an 8GB USB flash drive. That reminds me, I need another flash drive. I used my 8GB one for OS X Lion. Thanks for the unintended reminder! :p

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2012, 03:29 AM
Think I saw somewhere that ML won't fit on a single layer 4.7GB DVD. Need a dual layer DVD if your gonna go that route. Which is what I'll be doing if I decide to clean install as I don't have a big enough USB stick but plenty of dual layer DVDs.

baryon
Jul 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
I know this is silly but would an SD card in a USB SD card reader work fine for installing Mountain Lion? I have a bunch of 4GB USB sticks but none of them can hold more than 4GB. I have loads of 8 and 16 GB SD cards though…

I'm not going to buy a USB stick just for a hopefully one-time installation, no matter how cheap it is. This is when I realize that no proper replacement for CDs and DVDs was ever invented.

PaulKemp
Jul 25, 2012, 05:40 AM
Great guide! Requesting sticky.

Anyway, this is my first time reinstalling a clean OS on Mac, although I've been doing it for years on Windows. Anyway, what content, other than iPhoto (photos) and some settings from iTunes (podcast subs.) should I backup? When all my content is stored either in Dropbox or on central server. Anything else one should normally remember?

Also: Can I get 100% confirmation that the ML installation WILL NOT fit on a 4 GB mem stick? Since I've got many of them and none 8GB.

keaide
Jul 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Do I need to deauthorize my iMac in iTunes before I do a clean install (not just update)? Or will Apple "know" that my iMac is still the same?

WarrenFields
Jul 25, 2012, 07:29 AM
Very nice guide! Thanks for posting.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks for that great guide! I would like to use it but I don't know if my Windows XP installation that I set up with Boot Camp of Snow Leopard would survive a clean installation from scratch. Do you know that?

It should. Then again, if you resize your Macintosh HD partition, you screw the pooch on your Windows install. For example, I resized my Macintosh HD last week, and ignored my Mac's warning saying I might loose Windows. Sure enough, I screwed the pooch. I cannot boot into Windows. Reinstalling the OS? I don't know if it'd survive a install of OS X. I would say try it, but what if it does go wrong? Then you would've screwed the pooch too, and it'd be my fault for saying go ahead. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a full image backup of your Boot Camp partition. Did you have this issue when migrating from Leopard to Snow Leopard, or no?

----------

Do I need to deauthorize my iMac in iTunes before I do a clean install (not just update)? Or will Apple "know" that my iMac is still the same?

Don't bother de-authorizing. Apple always knows that my Mac is well, my Mac. Even if it has a fresh install, it'll stay authorized.

----------

Great guide! Requesting sticky.

Anyway, this is my first time reinstalling a clean OS on Mac, although I've been doing it for years on Windows. Anyway, what content, other than iPhoto (photos) and some settings from iTunes (podcast subs.) should I backup? When all my content is stored either in Dropbox or on central server. Anything else one should normally remember?

Also: Can I get 100% confirmation that the ML installation WILL NOT fit on a 4 GB mem stick? Since I've got many of them and none 8GB.

What should you backup? Your entire machine. I'm not even kidding. I wouldn't rely on Dropbox with a system's-worth of data. I don't believe it'll fit on a 4GB USB flash drive. I think it might, I'm not sure. Disk Utility will tell you as soon as you click restore if it'll work or no. It might, I don't remember.

Oh, and thank you for requesting sticky.

----------

First, thanks for putting this together. I appreciate the work put into it.

Second, if I could make a suggestion (and I've seen similar instructions make a similar mistake), why would you make a backup and THEN check for updates? I think the sequence of events should be to check for all updates THEN make your backups. At least, that's what I would do.

That's what I would do, too. However, I'm excluding any new system updates from this Time Machine backup, because some people don't want to install all the new system updates. Plus, there have been cases where a simple system update can ruin a machine, and then you'd backup that ruined system to your backup disk, ruining your perfectly fine backup. If you want to reverse the steps, go right ahead. Just proceed at your own risk.

----------

I know this is silly but would an SD card in a USB SD card reader work fine for installing Mountain Lion? I have a bunch of 4GB USB sticks but none of them can hold more than 4GB. I have loads of 8 and 16 GB SD cards though…

I'm not going to buy a USB stick just for a hopefully one-time installation, no matter how cheap it is. This is when I realize that no proper replacement for CDs and DVDs was ever invented.

I just looked it up, and according to The Unofficial Apple Weblog, it is possible.

keaide
Jul 25, 2012, 07:47 AM
Did you have this issue when migrating from Leopard to Snow Leopard, or no?[COLOR="#808080"]
My first MacOS was Snow Leopard. I did a normal update to Lion last time. No problems back then. So this is going to be my first "fresh" install. I have 2 time machine backups and a backup of all my Windows content. But didn't find a free Mac app to actually clone the bootcamp partition yet. So some residual risk remains. :mad:

And thanks for your reply regarding my iTunes question.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
OS X Mountain Lion is officially out in the United States and Canadian Mac App Stores! Go, download it! While I feel like an idiot for forgetting to turn on VNC on my iMac before I left the state.... :(

mateus
Jul 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but can you not just install ML from the app store and then boot into Recovery mode to do a clean install? Or would this just take too long.

PaulKemp
Jul 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
What should you backup? Your entire machine. I'm not even kidding. I wouldn't rely on Dropbox with a system's-worth of data. I don't believe it'll fit on a 4GB USB flash drive. I think it might, I'm not sure. Disk Utility will tell you as soon as you click restore if it'll work or no. It might, I don't remember.

No worries in regards to the machine. In fact I know I will lose everything. That's why I'm doing a clean install. Dropbox is only for pics and documents. And a copy is saved on every machine I own.

And, yes, I can confirm that 4.7 GB it doesnt fit on a 4 GB USB stick. :)

----------

Excuse my ignorance, but can you not just install ML from the app store and then boot into Recovery mode to do a clean install? Or would this just take too long.

I dont think the whole OS is stored locally, then you would have to download it again while in Recovery. I'm using ML GM and testing now, even with a super speedy internet connection it takes some time to just launch the OS X Utilities.

EDIT: In fact, when using ML GM and booting into Recovery, I only had the option to re install Lion. (- the mountain). Interesting. And this machine was shipped with SL. However, this could be different if the OS was installed via the App Store as I did with Lion. Will have to confirm this later today.

ATC
Jul 25, 2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks OP for the guide. I just tried it with ML and at the 9th step on page 2 (restoring to the flash drive) I get this error: :confused:

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/Rob76/th_Untitled.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/Rob76/Untitled.jpg)

FWIW, the drive is 8GB but even after erasing it's showing a used portion (under the partition tab in Disk Utility). No idea how to fix that. It shows as empty in finder though.

yaymath
Jul 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
I'm downloading Mountain Lion and it's 4.34 GB. Isn't the capacity of a single-layer DVD 4.38 GB? If so, it should fit, shouldn't it?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks OP for the guide. I just tried it with ML and at the 9th step on page 2 (restoring to the flash drive) I get this error: :confused:

Image (http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/Rob76/Untitled.jpg)

FWIW, the drive is 8GB but even after erasing it's showing a used portion (under the partition tab in Disk Utility). No idea how to fix that. It shows as empty in finder though.

Click on the partition named "Mac OS X Install" and click unmount in the toolbar. Then try restoring the image again.

----------

I'm downloading Mountain Lion and it's 4.34 GB. Isn't the capacity of a single-layer DVD 4.38 GB? If so, it should fit, shouldn't it?

The capacity of a single-layer DVD is 4.7 GB. It should work, but sometimes it doesn't always work that way. The only way to find out, it to try it.

yaymath
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
The capacity of a single-layer DVD is 4.7 GB. It should work, but sometimes it doesn't always work that way. The only way to find out, it to try it.

4.7 GB in decimal system, 4.38 in binary. So, you can't put more than 4.38 GB of stuff on it. Anyway, I hope that 10.8 fits.

ATC
Jul 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
Click on the partition named "Mac OS X Install" and click unmount in the toolbar. Then try restoring the image again.

Hmm.. Still getting the same error.

I went and tried another method using the same flash drive (link in 1st post in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409416&highlight=script)), which I think is the same thing it's just a script and it seems to work fine now. No idea what the problem was.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hmm.. Still getting the same error.

I went and tried another method using the same flash drive (link in 1st post in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409416&highlight=script)), which I think is the same thing it's just a script and it seems to work fine now. No idea what the problem was.

Let me do some digging.

UPDATE TO ALL GUIDE USERS: IF YOU ENCOUNTER THE SAME ISSUE AS ABOVE, PLEASE USE THIS ALTERNATE METHOD:

OS X Mountain Lion - Alternate Flashing Method (OS X Mountain Lion - Alternate Flashing Method)

PaulKemp
Jul 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'm also getting a error at the very end. After the whole copy process.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7851/screenshot20120725at163.png

I will try anyway, and see if it works :) Using the 1.st method.

Edit: the installer seems to be working fine with 4 min to go. No bad arguments here!

calderone
Jul 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm also getting a error at the very end. After the whole copy process.

Image (http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7851/screenshot20120725at163.png)

I will try anyway, and see if it works :) Using the 1.st method.

The source should be the mount point of the DMG, not the DMG itself.

Winter Charm
Jul 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
It's safer to get an 8GB USB flash drive. That reminds me, I need another flash drive. I used my 8GB one for OS X Lion. Thanks for the unintended reminder! :p

Is there any way to reformat the flash drive I use for Lion or ML? because I will need it for other things in the future. I just don't want to have to download ML 4 times on 4 different macs....

EDIT: one more question

I have a bootcamp partition. Is it okay to just erase my Mac OS X partition, and then proceed with an install?

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Is there any way to reformat the flash drive I use for Lion or ML? because I will need it for other things in the future. I just don't want to have to download ML 4 times on 4 different macs....

EDIT: one more question

I have a bootcamp partition. Is it okay to just erase my Mac OS X partition, and then proceed with an install?

Yes. Use Disk Utility, select the flash drive on the left panel and click the erase tab on the right panel. I assume you can do the rest.

And yes, it is ok to just erase the Mac partition and leave the Windows partition alone.

Note to OP: I noticed that your guide says a flash drive with 4GB of free space is required (ML clean install step 6). That is incorrect. The ML dmg is 4.35GB. A 8GB flash drive (I don't think 6GB exists?) is required. This makes a big difference.

Winter Charm
Jul 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
Yes. Use Disk Utility, select the flash drive on the left panel and click the erase tab on the right panel. I assume you can do the rest.

And yes, it is ok to just erase the Mac partition and leave the Windows partition alone.

Note to OP: I noticed that your guide says a flash drive with 4GB of free space is required (ML clean install step 6). That is incorrect. The ML dmg is 4.35GB. A 8GB flash drive (I don't think 6GB exists?) is required. This makes a big difference.

Thank you. Hopefully, bootcamp works as-is. I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't :P

macingman
Jul 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks so much. This thread NEEDS to be sticky'd, so much saved time for so many people if it will be sticky'd.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Thank you. Hopefully, bootcamp works as-is. I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't :P

BootCamp will work since what it really boils down to is partitioning the hard drive, supplying drivers for hardware and emulate the BIOS. The third part is done by the EFI firmware on a Mac which is separate from the OS. And the first two are generic things that isn't special or unique to the OS.

The only thing that changes with ML is newer/better hardware drivers and you can just boot into the Windows partition and update the drivers through the BootCamp program.

shyam09
Jul 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
this is my first clean install, so can you select the apps and data you want to transfer from your time machine backup? say i want iworks [i got this during SL], iLife (again before MAS), and google chrome (per se), can i select these and all my document files and have only these specifics restored??

nooby question, so i apologize

PaulKemp
Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 AM

Worked fine even with the wrong source. Thanks! *writtenformML*

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:27 AM

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you restore the 'Install OS X Mountain Lion' app to your media, it doesn't boot. If you restore the InstallESD.dmg, it works perfectly fine, and boots.

----------

this is my first clean install, so can you select the apps and data you want to transfer from your time machine backup? say i want iworks [i got this during SL], iLife (again before MAS), and google chrome (per se), can i select these and all my document files and have only these specifics restored??

nooby question, so i apologize

Sorry, but you cannot transfer individual files.

I should mention that if you clean install ML, and transfer your data, it's still a clean install.

HOWEVER, BE SURE TO UNCHECK SYSTEM SETTINGS IN THE MIGRATION ASSISTANT WINDOW. Then it would be a 'clean' install because system values would be at default.

calderone
Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 AM
Sorry, but you're wrong. If you restore the 'Install OS X Mountain Lion' app to your media, it doesn't boot. If you restore the InstallESD.dmg, it works perfectly fine, and boots.[COLOR="#808080"]

Depends on how you do it. The folks getting the errors are doing it incorrectly, which is why my comment was specifically on the problem NOT the guide itself.

The valid ways:

1. Source: DMG, Destination: Flash Drive (The brand name and capacity)
2. Source: Mounted DMG "Mac OS X Install ESD" Volume, Destination: Volume on the Flash drive.

ct2k7
Jul 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Why would someone want to migrate from ML GM to ML (GM) ? They're both the same build.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Depends on how you do it. The folks getting the errors are doing it incorrectly, which is why my comment was specifically on the problem NOT the guide itself.

The valid ways:

1. Source: DMG, Destination: Flash Drive (The brand name and capacity)
2. Source: Mounted DMG "Mac OS X Install ESD" Volume, Destination: Volume on the Flash drive.

Oh, okay. I was confused. Those are the correct ways, and the way I list in my guide.

----------

Why would someone want to migrate from ML GM to ML (GM) ? They're both the same build.

I didn't know that until yesterday.

calderone
Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Oh, okay. I was confused. Those are the correct ways, and the way I list in my guide.

----------

Number 1 is the way you list in your guide.

Number 2 is the other valid way, which you told me was wrong.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Number 1 is the way you list in your guide.

Number 2 is the other valid way, which you told me was wrong.

But I just said that you were right, and I was confused for a moment.

ct2k7
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM

ok :)

calderone
Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
But I just said that you were right, and I was confused for a moment.

I am just clarifying that the method you use was contained within my list and was not yet another option as you stated.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
ok :)

Here's a PSA to everyone on MR.

If I say something that makes no sense or is stupid, excuse me. I haven't had a proper sleep in 6 days. I've had severe mental fatigue since June. My brain is basically a bowl of Jell-O. I keep forgetting things. So, if I say something idiotic, excuse me. :/

Winter Charm
Jul 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Okay, so I managed to screw up the install on my Mac mini....

For some reason, the windows XP bootcamp partition I had carried over since snow leopard caused some sort of error. :(

Now, Mountain Lion won't install from the USB drive. For some reason it seems to be stuck. Every time I boot from my USB disk... I get an error :(

Mountain Lion could not be installed...

*sigh* time to resort to a DVD

slynger
Jul 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
So I've tried this tutorial a few times and I get an error message at the end of making the USB drive and when I boot to it, it isn't there.

I've tried the supposedly user-friendly Discmaker app and that isn't working either.

What am I doing wrong? I have a 2009 macbook 6,1 - any help is greatly welcomed??

edit - so it looks like all the files made it to the USB, but when I boot to it I don't have that as an option?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
So I've tried this tutorial a few times and I get an error message at the end of making the USB drive and when I boot to it, it isn't there.

I've tried the supposedly user-friendly Discmaker app and that isn't working either.

What am I doing wrong? I have a 2009 macbook 6,1 - any help is greatly welcomed??

edit - so it looks like all the files made it to the USB, but when I boot to it I don't have that as an option?

I'm in my Mom's Jeep speeding down the Ohio Turnpike (I'm not driving) right now, so I can't do a lot of research. Let me see if that revision of MBP can boot from USB. It should be able to because my '07 iMac did. Give me a few minutes, and I'll get back to you.

----------

Okay, so I managed to screw up the install on my Mac mini....

For some reason, the windows XP bootcamp partition I had carried over since snow leopard caused some sort of error. :(

Now, Mountain Lion won't install from the USB drive. For some reason it seems to be stuck. Every time I boot from my USB disk... I get an error :(

Mountain Lion could not be installed...

*sigh* time to resort to a DVD

This is weird. Apple had to've change something. These are the exact steps you do for OS X Lion. As I just said, I'm on the expressway, and can't do massive research. Give me a little bit to get back to you. In the mean time, did your DVD work?

blacksurfer
Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Hi...I see this is for a clean install....but my iMac is only three months old, so should I just do an upgrade?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hi...I see this is for a clean install....but my iMac is only three months old, so should I just do an upgrade?

Congratulations on the new iMac! Anyways, I personally always do a clean install. The purpose of a clean install is to remove all traces of OS X Lion. Your iMac should be fine if you don't do a clean install. Just download it, and run the app. However, copy the app to a hard drive, or somewhere else for backup. After install, the install app will self-delete.

bamaster
Jul 26, 2012, 06:39 AM
Let me do some digging.

UPDATE TO ALL GUIDE USERS: IF YOU ENCOUNTER THE SAME ISSUE AS ABOVE, PLEASE USE THIS ALTERNATE METHOD:

OS X Mountain Lion - Alternate Flashing Method (OS X Mountain Lion - Alternate Flashing Method)

This worked for me! Thank you for your work on the PDF, though.

KingArthurVI
Jul 28, 2012, 03:08 AM
Sorry, but you're wrong. If you restore the 'Install OS X Mountain Lion' app to your media, it doesn't boot. If you restore the InstallESD.dmg, it works perfectly fine, and boots.

----------

Sorry, but you cannot transfer individual files.

I should mention that if you clean install ML, and transfer your data, it's still a clean install.

HOWEVER, BE SURE TO UNCHECK SYSTEM SETTINGS IN THE MIGRATION ASSISTANT WINDOW. Then it would be a 'clean' install because system values would be at default.

So the only thing not mentioned in your PDF is the bolded part (uncheck system settings) if I want a clean install of ML? Thank you so much for your guide. :D

EDIT: Also, I'm going to let my dad install ML on his iMac using the same flash drive I made off the ML installer downloaded from MAS on my Apple ID, what would happen if he installed it on his iMac? Does it count as a "license count" like "you have used 2 out of 5 available devices for this installer" or something like that? Would it clash with his iMac since his Apple ID is not the same as mine.

supermati
Jul 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have a question:

I am currently running Lion on a late 2011 MBP and I will Clean Install ML during this weekend. I have an external Hard Drive (Not Time Machine) which is going to be used to back up all my personal files (music, documents, photos, etc.)

What I'm not completely sure of is how does iPhoto work. When I purchased my Mac, I wanted control over my photo files. So I DESELECTED "COPY PHOTOS TO THE IPHOTO LIBRARY"

In the "Pictures" folder, I now have a bunch of self-made folders with pictures that are also in iPhoto but not "Copied". There's also a "iPhoto Library" file (about 1gb whilst the whole folder is about 12gb).

What would be the best way for me to transfer my pictures to the External HD and then back to the clean state SSD with ML. I want to keep my Faces, Locations, Events, etc.

Thanks!!!

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
EDIT: Also, I'm going to let my dad install ML on his iMac using the same flash drive I made off the ML installer downloaded from MAS on my Apple ID, what would happen if he installed it on his iMac? Does it count as a "license count" like "you have used 2 out of 5 available devices for this installer" or something like that? Would it clash with his iMac since his Apple ID is not the same as mine.

If you install from the USB key you made, no AppleID is entered anywhere or tracked, so there would be no practical impact on your license.

KingArthurVI
Jul 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
If you install from the USB key you made, no AppleID is entered anywhere or tracked, so there would be no practical impact on your license.

Thanks a bunch! :D

macuser1232
Jul 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
How do I install Mountain Lion if I don't have a Time Machine or external hard drive?

AppleDApp
Jul 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
How do I install Mountain Lion if I don't have a Time Machine or external hard drive?

You can't do a clean install if you have no way of backing up your data.

macuser1232
Jul 28, 2012, 12:34 PM

Really? So I can't replace Snow Leopard with Mountain Lion without using an external hard drive. That's retarded. Now I have to go out and buy a freaking expensive hard drive or time machine.

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 01:19 PM

You can just install Mountain Lion over top of Snow Leopard and still have your data. Just don't erase the drive with Disk Util when you do the install.

You can do a fresh install of Mountain Lion without an external drive, but your data will be gone. Just download and install Mountain Lion and that will create a Mountain Lion Recovery HD partition. Now do a command-r boot and you will be taken to the Mountain Lion Recovery HD that was just created. From there start Disk Util and erase the partition Mountain Lion is installed on then proceed with the install. This will redownload Mountain Lion and do a fresh install. But as mentioned, you will not have your data.

Another idea... how large is your existing drive and how much free space is there? If there is enough free space you could shrink the current Snow Leopard partition then copy (clone) your data to the new partition. Then do a clean install and migrate your data from the new partition you made into the Mountain Lion install.

macuser1232
Jul 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
You can just install Mountain Lion over top of Snow Leopard and still have your data. Just don't erase the drive with Disk Util when you do the install.

You can do a fresh install of Mountain Lion without an external drive, but your data will be gone. Just download and install Mountain Lion and that will create a Mountain Lion Recovery HD partition. Now do a command-r boot and you will be taken to the Mountain Lion Recovery HD that was just created. From there start Disk Util and erase the partition Mountain Lion is installed on then proceed with the install. This will redownload Mountain Lion and do a fresh install. But as mentioned, you will not have your data.

Another idea... how large is your existing drive and how much free space is there? If there is enough free space you could shrink the current Snow Leopard partition then copy (clone) your data to the new partition. Then do a clean install and migrate your data from the new partition you made into the Mountain Lion install.
If I cloned the partition and made a Mountain Lion partition, could I delete the old one and then have one partition with all my stuff? Also could I possibly transfer some of my stuff with like a flash drive then put it back after a clean install of ML?

AppleDApp
Jul 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
If I cloned the partition and made a Mountain Lion partition, could I delete the old one and then have one partition with all my stuff? Also could I possibly transfer some of my stuff with like a flash drive then put it back after a clean install of ML?

Probably but you would need the hard drive space to do so. You could also move all your stuff to a flash drive and import it into Mountain lion after but space could be limiting on that flash drive.

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 02:59 PM

Yes, you can use Disk Util to shrink then later expand the main partition. If you had a large enough USB key, that would work also.

macuser1232
Jul 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, you can use Disk Util to shrink then later expand the main partition. If you had a large enough USB key, that would work also.

I've decided im going to use a flash drive and then right down some of the other programs I need.

SR45
Jul 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
So many thanks for the guide. Did the clean install from a Thumb drive OP and it was a very quick install, no issues. ;) You put a lot of work into this, and I appreciate it. :D

macuser1232
Jul 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Well I have found out I have plenty of room on my hard drive to duplicate my files and then install Mountain Lion on a partition and delete the other but I think I would rather do a clean, fresh install and just keep some files that I need on a flash drive to transfer later so that I can start from the beginning again.

kiwisteve
Jul 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
How do I apply these instructions to a Lion installation with multiple user accounts? i.e. I have one admin account and 2 user accounts and need to ensure that all the users data is backed up and restored as it existed prior to the update. I have Time Machine set up on each account backing up to an external hard drive connected by USB.

I'm not sure what order to do the steps and whether I'll have the required permissions to access the user data on the backup disc after I recreate the accounts

Weaselboy
Jul 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
How do I apply these instructions to a Lion installation with multiple user accounts? i.e. I have one admin account and 2 user accounts and need to ensure that all the users data is backed up and restored as it existed prior to the update. I have Time Machine set up on each account backing up to an external hard drive connected by USB.

I'm not sure what order to do the steps and whether I'll have the required permissions to access the user data on the backup disc after I recreate the accounts

It does not matter that you have multiple accounts. Time Machine backs up everything from all accounts by default and handles permissions issues. Just follow the OP's guide and it will work the same for all accounts without you having to do anything special.

CKohkah
Jul 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this, so bare with me here... I want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion on my sister-in-laws Late 2008 MBP. However, it currently still has 10.5.8 Leopard on it.

How would I go about doing this without losing all of here files and data?

Would I upgrade to Snow Leopard (I have the free install disc they sent MobileMe users), do a time machine back up of all of her files, then follow the attached instructions to do a clean install of Mountain Lion and just let Time machine restore everything after?

AppleDApp
Jul 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this, so bare with me here... I want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion on my sister-in-laws Late 2008 MBP. However, it currently still has 10.5.8 Leopard on it.

Would I upgrade to Snow Leopard (I have the free install disc they sent MobileMe users), do a time machine back up of all of her files, then follow the attached instructions to do a clean install of Mountain Lion and just let Time machine restore everything after?

I would start by backing everything up ideally with carbon copy cloner or something that will make a bootable drive.

Then install Snow Leopard. Your files should have been moved over.
Install all the updates to get the app store.
Then install Mountain Lion.

Enjoy.

If you let time machine restore everything (including settings you aren't doing a clean install)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the guide!

I'm just wondering, if I do not want to go through the hassle of buying a new USB drive... would it be possible if I just press command-option-R and use Internet recovery option (without pre-wipe my current harddisk) to clean install Mountain Lion after it's released?

Internet Recovery would restore Lion. When you install Mountain Lion, it updates the Recovery Partition to Mountain Lion. Since your Mac would be running Lion, it wouldn't restore to Mountain Lion.

----------

I would start by backing everything up ideally with carbon copy cloner or something that will make a bootable drive.

Then install Snow Leopard. Your files should have been moved over.
Install all the updates to get the app store.
Then install Mountain Lion.

Enjoy.

If you let time machine restore everything (including settings you aren't doing a clean install)

Just because it restores your Home folder doesn't mean it isn't a clean install. It's a clean install if you uncheck the settings. The only that would be on the Mac is your data. I did it just like that, and my iMac is already faster than Lion was. And Lion was like a rocket, too.

----------

Hello,

Yep! You got it!

----------

I have fixed a few more errors in the PDF. See "EDIT5" in the original post above for more details. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version.

Balaamsdonkey
Jul 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
I would highly suggest creating a bootable backup of the system drive using carbon copy cloner/super duper. Don't rely on Time Machine alone.

Test the clone before wiping the system!

Also Lion Disk Maker (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) is an easy way to create a USB/SD OS installer.

How would the instructions differ in using SuperDuper? I've never used TimeMachine but have SuperDuper. Would step 17 work for me?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 30, 2012, 09:33 AM
How would the instructions differ in using SuperDuper? I've never used TimeMachine but have SuperDuper. Would step 17 work for me?

SuperDuper would make a image file containing your entire hard disk. This file would be 60+ GB, depending on how much data you have on your Mac. Migration Assistant transfers files from your Time Machine backup. To restore your Mac to Lion from the SuperDuper clone, you'd use SuperDuper to do so. Although, I think you restore the image to the drive with Disk Utility. Backup your stuff with TM, and when you restore your data in the OS X Setup Assistant, be sure to uncheck the settings box. Then click transfer. All your data will be the way it was before.

----------

I had two user accounts on my iMac when it was running Lion. One was my main, and the other was a "temp" account Apple Support made when they did remote service, that I forgot to delete. After restoring my Time Machine backup, sure enough it migrated both user accounts to OS X Mountain Lion.

Jul 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
Excellent guide and a nice reminder of the Lion upgrades.

However, in my case, my Mac decided to follow a completely different course to which it was instructed. For example, it start installing ML without giving me the option of opening Disk Utility, but I managed to fix that.

The unfixable bit is the Time Machine backup. When I try to migrate data across, all of the checkboxes are hard set and greyed out; I cannot un-tick any of them.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Excellent guide and a nice reminder of the Lion upgrades.

However, in my case, my Mac decided to follow a completely different course to which it was instructed. For example, it start installing ML without giving me the option of opening Disk Utility, but I managed to fix that.

The unfixable bit is the Time Machine backup. When I try to migrate data across, all of the checkboxes are hard set and greyed out; I cannot un-tick any of them.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I don't think anybody has encountered that issue. I'll try and find a resolution to this issue.

playsontheleft
Jul 31, 2012, 07:26 AM
Probably a bad question, but can this be done using an SD card rather than with a USB flash drive? And if so, is it the same process?

Weaselboy
Jul 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
Probably a bad question, but can this be done using an SD card rather than with a USB flash drive? And if so, is it the same process?

Exactly the same.

Jul 31, 2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think anybody has encountered that issue. I'll try and find a resolution to this issue.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think you should spend any time searching for a solution. My best guess is that Time Machine's equivalent to meta data has been corrupted.

I'm going to restore to Lion, make another TM backup and begin the upgrade process again.

Thanks anyway.

opinioncircle
Jul 31, 2012, 11:35 AM
Can't thank you enough for the guide, I'm still waiting on whether or not to upgrade....

Tough decisions :D

AppleDApp
Jul 31, 2012, 11:40 AM
Can't thank you enough for the guide, I'm still waiting on whether or not to upgrade....

Why wait?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 31, 2012, 03:59 PM

If you're wanting to wait because you think Mountain Lion has bugs, don't. I haven't found any bugs (on my end) in Mountain Lion. Although, I've had one issue. Whenever I plug in headphones, my iMac doesn't play through the headphones. I unplug them, and OS X still thinks that my headphones are plugged in, and plays audio in the headphone jack. I end up having to reboot a gazillion times, or reset the SMC, to get audio working through the built-in speakers, and the headphone jack. I don't think this is a software bug, it's a hardware fault. It's been happening since I dropped the $1600 on this thing in February.

trustme
Jul 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Not sure if this has been asked but when I hit restore in disk utility (I think step 9) it says error and something about resource not ready. Any ideas?

Branskins
Jul 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
Not sure if this has been asked but when I hit restore in disk utility (I think step 9) it says error and something about resource not ready. Any ideas?

Is this from Recovery HD, or on your main system?

Also, have you tried verifying the disk?

trustme
Jul 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
Is this from Recovery HD, or on your main system?

Also, have you tried verifying the disk?

Main system onto a USB drive. I don't think I verified or repaired it. Will try.

macswitcha2
Jul 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
Ok, if you don't migrate at first is there a way to do it later strictly from the external hd used via Time Machine? If so how? Because when I go to migration assistant amd get to the step where you select the files you want to migrate, they're all greyed out yet all are selected. I don't want to migrate the complete back up, I just want to choose certain apps and migrate my pictures, iTunes Library, Aperture Library, iPhoto, etc, etc.

macswitcha2
Jul 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have a feeling I won't get an answer. I seem to always run into problems that even the pros are stumped about.

Ok, so when I choose another partition to migrate from, it does allow me to select the files. The only one that it doesn't is the partition that has a back up of the mac that I want to migrate folder from.

Should I do this manually? Can I just go into my external disk and drag the files I want?

Aug 1, 2012, 06:57 AM
I have exactly the same issue as you.

Your options are a) upgrade to Mountain Lion as a clean install and manually restore (i.e. 'drag') your files from Time Machine or b) wait for Apple in the hope they fix Migration Assistant (as they did shortly after the release of 10.7).

I'm certain the issue is intermittant and related to Migration Assistant. To try to prove this, I rolled back to Lion, wiped the TM drive and rebuilt the TM backup. Upgraded to Mountain Lion and problem with the greyed-out options persists.

Whilst I've seen many complaints across these forums regarding restoring from a Lion-based TM backup, there is no guarantee that Apple will release a fix. My only evidence to the possibility is the Migration Assistant fix they issued after the release of Lion (note that I did not have this issue previously and did not require the fix to upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7).

For the record, I've not made a decision yet on which approach to take but as it's costing me money it looks likely that I'll roll back to Lion and wait it out.

thasan
Aug 1, 2012, 07:59 AM
wow! thank you!!!
:D
this morning, i was looking at options to copy my mails while i was half asleep. in the end, just did an install on top. but now that i have this document, its gonna be a fun weekend :D

itsky
Aug 1, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thank you so much for posting this guide and thread!

I've never done an install of an OS before and I followed your guide and everything worked out great. I started with a tired 2009 MacBook aluminum non-pro, and installed Mountain Lion along with adding 8gb of RAM and a 256gb crucial m4 SSD, it is a night and day difference!

The cost of the upgrade including purchasing Mountain Lion was $245 and it feels like a brand new computer. Using Time Machine to reinstall all my apps and documents worked perfectly, they all (including photoshop cs5) copied over fantastic.

Thanks again!

bailmdb
Aug 1, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've only had my Mac since late 2009 and I've loved it. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I'd like to upgrade to ML this weekend. I just ran the disk util and went to Verify Disk and I was told "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

I have no real idea how to proceed from here. I still have my MacBook Pro box, so I'm sure my install disc is in there. I would greatly appreciate help on what to do from here. I have a 500GB external HDD and I have backed up my drive in Time Machine. If I repair the disk from my install CD will I lose any of my data? If I do repair the disk, will that also resolve any permissions issues?

Appreciate the help!!

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 2, 2012, 04:39 AM
I have a feeling I won't get an answer. I seem to always run into problems that even the pros are stumped about.

Ok, so when I choose another partition to migrate from, it does allow me to select the files. The only one that it doesn't is the partition that has a back up of the mac that I want to migrate folder from.

Should I do this manually? Can I just go into my external disk and drag the files I want?

I'm so sorry for not answering your questions, that goes of all of you. I've been so busy with personal things, getting ready for school (ugh...), etc. Plus, I've been going back and forth between NW Ohio, and Pittsburgh. Thank you for calling me a "pro", but I don't know if I could agree with that. I'm just a extremely knowledgeable and tech-savvy guy. Now, to your issue. It's a TM backup, not something like a Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper image, right? When OS X asks you to transfer data, you select "From Another Disk", right? You'd be right saying I'm extremely stumped over this.

----------

I've only had my Mac since late 2009 and I've loved it. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I'd like to upgrade to ML this weekend. I just ran the disk util and went to Verify Disk and I was told "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

I have no real idea how to proceed from here. I still have my MacBook Pro box, so I'm sure my install disc is in there. I would greatly appreciate help on what to do from here. I have a 500GB external HDD and I have backed up my drive in Time Machine. If I repair the disk from my install CD will I lose any of my data? If I do repair the disk, will that also resolve any permissions issues?

Appreciate the help!!

My old iMac threw me the "corrupt and needs repaired" bone before, I believe it was that error. I remember it said something was wrong, and needed repaired. Now, I didn't lose anything when I repaired. That could be a different story for you. I would strongly suggest you backup your data before fixing the corrupt HD. When OS X is told to Repair/Verify the disk, it'll automatically do a permissions repair, I believe so. You might want to click the repair permissions button after it's done, just to be safe.

nebrot
Aug 2, 2012, 06:27 AM

Hello OP, I would also like to thank you for the work and all the answers you gave so far, well done!
I would like to confirm the quotes regarding USB key problems, but I am quite sure the reason could be the USB key itself. I am using a SanDisc Cruiser and I believe it is the reason. (Saw it also on a screenshot from another post) There might be some files embedded on the SanDisk which could cause the failures. However, that said, I thought after several failures I somehow managed it, but I think I simply didnt put the "Brand Name and Type" into the destination, I chose the "Untiteled" after formatting which is different from what is in the PDF(?). But that also said, I better verify again, at this point I only created the key (it says 4,7GB used and when restarting with alt/option it finds it as Mountain Lion) but did not start the installation. Anyone out here who can confirm problems when using a SanDisk Cruiser?
Secondly. I am unsure how to best migrate the data from the back-up which I made with a USB-drive, this is why I didnt start yet. I want to do a clean install, since I want to get rid of a lot stuff, also Apps. There are only 4 back-ups I interested in, it would be kind if someone could advise me how to do it best:
1. My Addressbook data (so much work...)
2. My Mail data & archive (too important to get lost)
3. iTunes (Music, Podcasts, aso. - I dont use the libary, I have a folder structure in the folder "Music" - Can I simply select the "Music" folder after the clean install from the USB back-up drive and copy it to ML? What about hidden folders, are the some?)
4. iPhoto (Here I use the libary, can I pick this from the back-up and transfer it? Will all be transferred, is there something to consider?
By the way i dont use iCloud (yet, except you recommend it now) and my hardware is a 2011 Air.
Great thread, very nice to read all the single entries - now I hope for a little help.

Weaselboy
Aug 2, 2012, 07:23 AM

Appreciate the help!!

Dig that original install disk out of the box and pop it in then reboot while holding the C key. That will boot from the install DVD. Once there go to the utilities menu and select Disk Utility and run the disk repair. Go ahead and repair permissions while you are at it. Then reboot.

opinioncircle
Aug 3, 2012, 11:29 AM
If you're wanting to wait because you think Mountain Lion has bugs, don't. I haven't found any bugs (on my end) in Mountain Lion. Although, I've had one issue. Whenever I plug in headphones, my iMac doesn't play through the headphones. I unplug them, and OS X still thinks that my headphones are plugged in, and plays audio in the headphone jack. I end up having to reboot a gazillion times, or reset the SMC, to get audio working through the built-in speakers, and the headphone jack. I don't think this is a software bug, it's a hardware fault. It's been happening since I dropped the $1600 on this thing in February.

The only reason I'm waiting is for time to get the upgrade done properly. And also to get a real good solution for backing up, which is extremely limited for me at the moment.

As for bugs, you're right, I do have some issues with that ever since some iOS upgrade came all the way back in 2010 about syncing with iTunes and whatnot.

Jakobben
Aug 3, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the good tutorial. I just have one correction/question. I kept getting a message from the Disk Utility stating that the disk i busy when I try to restore. To fix this I needed to unmount the partition in the Disk Utility. I've spent a good deal of time to to find out what the problem was. Also, the images in the guide does not show the installation .dmg, so I was a bit confused but I think I've finally figured it out (it's restoring right now).

But I thank you for you good work! It's great to have guides like this for all us beginners :)

Jakobben
Aug 4, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hi,

I've tried to create a bootable USB drive both using your guide and the "lion disk maker" app. But when the USB is inserted in my iMac and i restart and hold down "option" then I just boots into Lion. If I remove the USB I can get the boot manager and boot from a CD or in bootcamp...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

HE15MAN
Aug 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
I did an upgrade to ML, and for me, it is not showing ML in my applications folder, only Lion...any ideas on where I can find ML?

Weaselboy
Aug 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
I did an upgrade to ML, and for me, it is not showing ML in my applications folder, only Lion...any ideas on where I can find ML?

Mountain Lion deletes the installer from Applications after it installs itself. If you want it back you will need to DL again from the App Store.

HE15MAN
Aug 4, 2012, 11:10 AM
Mountain Lion deletes the installer from Applications after it installs itself. If you want it back you will need to DL again from the App Store.

Gotcha thanks !

bailmdb
Aug 4, 2012, 11:21 AM
Ok, repaired my disk and the permissions from my install CD, backed up to Time Machine and have my Snow Leopard up to date with version 10.6.8. Time to follow the guide and move to Mountain Lion. Wish me luck! Hopefully I won't have to get on my iPhone to ask for help due to any issues. lol.

bailmdb
Aug 4, 2012, 01:45 PM
Ok, following the guide and I can't get this to work.

I've been able to erase my flash drive and format it, no problem. On step 8 I get the InstallESD.dmg in the "Source" field, but when I try to drag the name and storage size of my flash drive to the "Destination" field it won't work. I am forced to choose the "Untitled" sub-drive listing and drag it to the "Destination" field. It allows me to do this without any problems.

I get alllllll the way to the end of Step 9 and with less than 1 minute of verifying the image I get an error that states: "Restore failure: Could not restore - Cannot allocate memory."

What am I doing wrong?? Appreciate any help.

jmpage2
Aug 4, 2012, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the good tutorial. I just have one correction/question. I kept getting a message from the Disk Utility stating that the disk i busy when I try to restore. To fix this I needed to unmount the partition in the Disk Utility. I've spent a good deal of time to to find out what the problem was. Also, the images in the guide does not show the installation .dmg, so I was a bit confused but I think I've finally figured it out (it's restoring right now).

But I thank you for you good work! It's great to have guides like this for all us beginners :)

You're not the only one having issues. What's weird is that I created a boot disk for Lion and had no issues with it, but I can't seem to create a USB disk that works for ML.

When I erase my USB disk it still shows a couple of partitions. Then when I try to restore InstallESD.dmb to the USB disk it never works. I have to eject the partitions showing for the USB drive and then it will try to restore, only to fail several minutes from completion with a "invalid argument" error.

I was able to restore the Mac OS X Install ESD (by mounting InstallESD.dmg and then explicitly doing restore on the Mac OS X Install ESD partition) to the USB drive, but this resulted in a drive that never seemed to boot ML fully. It would present itself as a bootable disk but it would just sit there during boot with the Apple logo eventually becoming a blank icon and I finally just hard rebooted the computer.

I will start scouring for other instructions on making a boot disk for ML because I'm not having much success with this approach.

Also as someone else pointed out, while someone taking the time to create a guide is much appreciate, it seems that there might be some steps that are missing or not particularly well articulated, not to mention the use of at least one "screenshot" which shows disks/partitions that have nothing to do with the task at hand, which leads to further confusion.

jmpage2
Aug 4, 2012, 05:55 PM
For anyone looking for a more painless approach, just download Lion DiskMaker, it is donation-ware. It worked the very first time.

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

That will get you up to step 10 of the OPs document, and you can just go from there with the rest of your installation.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Ok, following the guide and I can't get this to work.

I've been able to erase my flash drive and format it, no problem. On step 8 I get the InstallESD.dmg in the "Source" field, but when I try to drag the name and storage size of my flash drive to the "Destination" field it won't work. I am forced to choose the "Untitled" sub-drive listing and drag it to the "Destination" field. It allows me to do this without any problems.

I get alllllll the way to the end of Step 9 and with less than 1 minute of verifying the image I get an error that states: "Restore failure: Could not restore - Cannot allocate memory."

What am I doing wrong?? Appreciate any help.

That's weird. Normally that error message means that your USB flash drive is too small. But you have an 8GB USB flash drive, and the InstallESD.dmg is only 4.2 GB. On my end, I've make 10+ of these USB flash drives, with no error whatsoever. That's what I don't get. Try this: Alternative Solution (Alternative Solution)

----------

You're not the only one having issues. What's weird is that I created a boot disk for Lion and had no issues with it, but I can't seem to create a USB disk that works for ML.

When I erase my USB disk it still shows a couple of partitions. Then when I try to restore InstallESD.dmb to the USB disk it never works. I have to eject the partitions showing for the USB drive and then it will try to restore, only to fail several minutes from completion with a "invalid argument" error.

I was able to restore the Mac OS X Install ESD (by mounting InstallESD.dmg and then explicitly doing restore on the Mac OS X Install ESD partition) to the USB drive, but this resulted in a drive that never seemed to boot ML fully. It would present itself as a bootable disk but it would just sit there during boot with the Apple logo eventually becoming a blank icon and I finally just hard rebooted the computer.

I will start scouring for other instructions on making a boot disk for ML because I'm not having much success with this approach.

Also as someone else pointed out, while someone taking the time to create a guide is much appreciate, it seems that there might be some steps that are missing or not particularly well articulated, not to mention the use of at least one "screenshot" which shows disks/partitions that have nothing to do with the task at hand, which leads to further confusion.

That one "screenshot" was an example image. Your disks will look different, because you have different disks in your Mac than in mine. Maybe I should just yank the guide from the thread, if you guys are having THAT many issues. From now on, just use Lion DiskMaker...

bailmdb
Aug 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=Steve.P.JobsFan;15403332]That's weird. Normally that error message means that your USB flash drive is too small. But you have an 8GB USB flash drive, and the InstallESD.dmg is only 4.2 GB. On my end, I've make 10+ of these USB flash drives, with no error whatsoever. That's what I don't get. Try this: Alternative Solution (Alternative Solution)[COLOR="#808080"]

Nevermind. I got it to work! Up and running with Mountain Lion. So far, so good. I'm trying to check everything out and get used to the gestures. Thanks again for the guide and the assistance!

ATC
Aug 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
There must be some variable in the process affecting some users. I've tried the guide on two systems (different iMacs and USB drives) but getting the same error as some other posters (step 9 of the guide).

The other method worked on both systems fine (the lion disk maker script). There has to be a small obscure difference between the guide and the script, they both essentially do the same thing which is weird that one worked for us and the other didn't. :confused:

I hope the OP figures it out as his guide is very nicely written and the work is appreciated. :)

jmpage2
Aug 4, 2012, 10:49 PM
That's weird. Normally that error message means that your USB flash drive is too small. But you have an 8GB USB flash drive, and the InstallESD.dmg is only 4.2 GB. On my end, I've make 10+ of these USB flash drives, with no error whatsoever. That's what I don't get. Try this: Alternative Solution (Alternative Solution)

----------

That one "screenshot" was an example image. Your disks will look different, because you have different disks in your Mac than in mine. Maybe I should just yank the guide from the thread, if you guys are having THAT many issues. From now on, just use Lion DiskMaker...

Please don't be offended, I appreciate the work as I'm sure others do.

Screenshot being wrong has nothing to do with the difference between your disks and mine, it has to do with the fact that your screenshot does not show the mountain lion disk image, which is sort of required to create a ML boot disc.

freedom1587
Aug 5, 2012, 09:11 AM
Well, when William Hummel states in the document that "Make sure no items are in the “Excluded” list", does it mean that even the bootcamp part should not be excluded?

Thanks!

mlim650
Aug 5, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hi,

I intend to buy a bigger internal hard disk to install ML into. Can I do it without having to get an external enclosure?

Can I swap the drive during the boot up after step 10?

Thanks.

jmpage2
Aug 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I intend to buy a bigger internal hard disk to install ML into. Can I do it without having to get an external enclosure?

Can I swap the drive during the boot up after step 10?

Thanks.

Create the boot disk, replace your hard drive and install OS X onto the new hard drive, then retrieve your apps and data from a TM Backup which you hopefully have.

mlim650
Aug 6, 2012, 08:51 PM
Create the boot disk, replace your hard drive and install OS X onto the new hard drive, then retrieve your apps and data from a TM Backup which you hopefully have.

Thanks!! It's good to know that this is possible. I will give it a go when I return from my trip. :)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 6, 2012, 10:54 PM
Well, when William Hummel states in the document that "Make sure no items are in the “Excluded” list", does it mean that even the bootcamp part should not be excluded?

Thanks!

Yes. Besides, Time Machine won't backup your Bootcamp partition anyways, regardless if it's in the list or not.

----------

Please don't be offended, I appreciate the work as I'm sure others do.

Screenshot being wrong has nothing to do with the difference between your disks and mine, it has to do with the fact that your screenshot does not show the mountain lion disk image, which is sort of required to create a ML boot disc.

Gimme a few minutes to boot out of Boot Camp, log in to OS X, and add that. Thanks for the clarification, that is what confused me. :)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 6, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have fixed a few more errors in the PDF. See "EDIT6" in the original post above for more details. Please re-download the PDF, so you have the correct version. However, please note that the new PDF with these changes is currently in an "experimental" status. I'm so fatigued, I cannot tell if the instructions make sense. If they don't please notify me. I will resolve it in the morning, and merge the PDFs together. Thank you!

playsontheleft
Aug 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ok, having a couple of issues here. I'm trying to clean install Mountain Lion on another machine and the USB I'm using is behaving a bit oddly. Firstly, towards the end of the restore process onto the USB, I'm receiving the error "Could not restore - Invalid argument". I don't know how to fix this or what causes it, but it does not seem to prevent the USB from being restored correctly.

Until I try to boot from it - upon booting the other Mac, I select the "Mac OS X" USB as my boot drive and wait for it to load. For a minute or two I receive an Apple logo with the spinning wheel beneath it, but then the logo is replaced by a light grey circle with a cross through it. From here, the wheel simply continues spinning and nothing further happens so I am forced to hold the power button to turn off the computer. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
I have encountered the same issues you all have. I just tried to make another USB flash drive, and was met with the "resource busy" error. I have found a solution, at least for me. Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and plug it back it. Then, make sure on the restore tab, you're restoring "Mac OS X Install ESD", NOT InstallESD.dmg. Also, make sure "Untitled" is in the destination box. This fixed it, at least for me.

aircanman
Aug 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the last couple of days I have had to reinstall everything, and I did the following, think it gave me a clean install.

Basically I installed ML the normal way, over Lion, but then I restarted the mac holding down the option key, then used the 10.8 recovery sector to wipe the drive, then install ML, in which it downloaded loads of stuff from Apple, and asked me for the user ID before proceeding, it then installed ML.

I think this gave me a full installation of ML.

2square
Aug 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
hello all,

i'd like to add to how much this guide is appreciated.

i have a query, on inserting a new hard drive, once you install ML from the usb disc image, on starting migration assistant, how does having filevault 2 enabled on the old drive affect transfer of data, both via time machine backup and a sata enclosure link with the old drive?

thank you.

Luis Ortega
Aug 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
All I did was click on app store in Lion, buy and download ML, and click install.
Everything was normal after it did it's thing on my 2007 SantaRosa MBP 2.4/ 4gb ram/240gb ssd.
It runs FCP and the Adobe production suite fine, or as well as it did since SL.

AppleDApp
Aug 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
All I did was click on app store in Lion, buy and download ML, and click install.
Everything was normal after it did it's thing on my 2007 SantaRosa MBP 2.4/ 4gb ram/240gb ssd.
It runs FCP and the Adobe production suite fine, or as well as it did since SL.

Not considered a clean install

Tyler23
Aug 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
Urgent help needed!:

I'm attempting to do this now, following the directions in the pdf file at the top of this page. However, I'm attempting step 9, and after clicking erase and restore, I am getting the error "Restore failure - Could not restore - resource busy."

I have attached a screenshot of where I'm at..please help if possible!

2square
Aug 17, 2012, 04:34 AM
unmount the usb partition "untitled", but not the usb itself.

Tyler23
Aug 17, 2012, 05:39 AM
unmount the usb partition "untitled", but not the usb itself.

Followed what you said and it started running, but right at the end gave me the error "could not restore - invalid argument" :(

2square
Aug 17, 2012, 07:16 AM
try restoring the 'mac os x install esd' not the 'installesd.dmg' - just trying this now, should work, though i've read that error shouldn't have any effect on the working of the usb.

Tyler23
Aug 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Clean install has completed properly :) Now, I'm weary of using migration assistant as there is probably a lot of junk I don't want copies over an I'd rather redo all of my settings myself. Would it be ok to manually drag my applications, documents, iTunes and iPhoto folders from my external hard drive directly through finder? How can I go about doing this?

AppleDApp
Aug 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
Clean install has completed properly :) Now, I'm weary of using migration assistant as there is probably a lot of junk I don't want copies over an I'd rather redo all of my settings myself. Would it be ok to manually drag my applications, documents, iTunes and iPhoto folders from my external hard drive directly through finder? How can I go about doing this?

I would drag and drop documents then backup
drag and drop music then backup
drag and drop photos then backups
and so on.

So that if ever too much junk gets on your computer you can always revert. Moving everything manually gives an opportunity to clean up your mac and get rid of old files you do not need.

Tombds
Aug 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
I have read every answer on this thread and can see the benefit of clean install but still have unanswered questions about getting user files back again.

I would drag and drop documents then backup
drag and drop music then backup
drag and drop photos then backups
and so on

I plan on doing a clean install as well but am wary of running into permissions issues copying files back from the backup. Will this procedure work from a time machine backup?

Should I:
1. Backup system with Time Machine and Superduper
2. Format and Install ML.
3. Set up a new user with the same username as I was using before.
4. Manually reinstall applications.
5. Move User folders back by dragging them from my Superduper or Time Machine backup. Will this create ownership / permissions problems?

If I keep the same username will Time Machine start over or will it inherit my backups.

Wondering if using setup assistant but excluding applications would be easier but would really like to get rid of a load of junk.

Thanks in Advance

AppleDApp
Aug 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
I plan on doing a clean install as well but am wary of running into permissions issues copying files back from the backup. Will this procedure work from a time machine backup?

I my previous post I was suggesting to copy files to an external then do the clean install and backup to a separate drive with TM.

Kashika
Aug 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
So how do you update the OSX usb stick with the OS update that released today?

Weaselboy
Aug 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
So how do you update the OSX usb stick with the OS update that released today?

You will need to wait until the full App Store version is updated to 10.8.1 then redownload the entire install and make the USB key again with the new version. With Lion, the full App Store version was always updated pretty quickly after the updates came out.

SR45
Aug 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
You will need to wait until the full App Store version is updated to 10.8.1 then redownload the entire install and make the USB key again with the new version. With Lion, the full App Store version was always updated pretty quickly after the updates came out.

Already on the site. Did so myself, and did a clean install. ;)

With me, I have everything on a large USB thumb drive and after doing the clean install, I inserted the USB drive and transferred everything. As for my Apple downloaded programs, I just went back to the Apple Store and downloaded the programs. Specially the ones that have now been upgraded to Mountain Lion

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry I've practically been helping nobody in here. Just went back to school, and I've been drowning in a sea of work. I feel bad for not being here.

Anyways, about the new incrimental update to OS X. I've been digging in the update files to see if I can copy the 10.8.1 update to the USB drive, but don't have an answer yet. As of now, you have to download the ENTIRE 4.3 GB file from the App Store (Ugh! :(), and restore it with my method, or DiskMaker.

Will update if I find a way to restore the combo updater to your USB drive with 10.8.0 already on it.

-WH

Weaselboy
Aug 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Will update if I find a way to restore the combo updater to your USB drive with 10.8.0 already on it.

-WH

This happened with Lion also, and I don't recall anybody ever figuring out a way to apply an incremental update to the installer. Each point release required an entire 4GB+ redownload of the entire OS installer.

Northwestern
Aug 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
I want to buy OS X ML in the Mac App Store. I have some questions:

1. Can I install the one copy of OS X ML purchased in the App Store on more than one Mac? I have an iMac (OS X SL) and a MacBook Air (OS X Lion).
2. I have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. Do I have to install Windows 7 again, when updating to OS X ML? Is my Windows 7 installation lost?
3. When updating, I would save all my files on an external hd. And do I have to install all programs like MS Office, VLC, DIVX, Apps etc. again? Does the update delete everything and then reinstalling fresh and new the OS?

Thanks for answers.

Weaselboy
Aug 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
I want to buy OS X ML in the Mac App Store. I have some questions:

1. Can I install the one copy of OS X ML purchased in the App Store on more than one Mac? I have an iMac (OS X SL) and a MacBook Air (OS X Lion).
2. I have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. Do I have to install Windows 7 again, when updating to OS X ML? Is my Windows 7 installation lost?
3. When updating, I would save all my files on an external hd. And do I have to install all programs like MS Office, VLC, DIVX, Apps etc. again? Does the update delete everything and then reinstalling fresh and new the OS?

Thanks for answers.

1. Yes. You can install it all the Macs you own.

2. Won't hurt it.

3. If you just do the normal upgrade install, you won't need to reinstall anything. It will all still be there configured as it was before.

Northwestern
Aug 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
1. Yes. You can install it all the Macs you own.

2. Won't hurt it.

3. If you just do the normal upgrade install, you won't need to reinstall anything. It will all still be there configured as it was before.

Thank you very much! I will probably try upgrade then.

captndave
Aug 31, 2012, 08:01 AM

/Bo

than stevejobsfan for all your work here, I was wondering about this issue quoted above when I came across this thread. I had done a clean install of lion to a ssd , but then it seemed migration assistant moved everything anyway, responses to the quote? do you negate the benefits of a clean install?

MikeProcter
Aug 31, 2012, 12:32 PM
I am migrating 2 machines.

I have a rMBP which is on ML. I am using the Milgate assistant, but it would not see the time machine backup, so I am doing it from my old 2009 13" MBP via Ethernet. Not selected the settings.(also running ML)

When that has finished I will reboot the 13" MBP and redownload ML as a clean installation. Then I hope to be able to pull the data over from the time machine backup that my new machine saw, from SL onto the 13" MBP.

My wife will then be able to use the 13" MBP instead of my core duo iMac.

I just have to wait for another hour for the my data to be transferred.

Northwestern
Aug 31, 2012, 12:36 PM
Upgrading my iMac (Snow Leopard) and my Macbook Air (Lion) right now. I saved all my files on external HD. I hope everything will work fine and also my Bootcamp partitions will work after the upgrading correctly.

Northwestern
Sep 1, 2012, 02:05 AM
Upgrade worked fine. I only had to reinstall Java and VLC Player. iMac does need more time to boot up, but thats okay.

MikeProcter
Sep 1, 2012, 11:51 AM
Everything went well for me.

fatherlytoaster
Sep 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
It has taken nearly an hour to install from a USB stick. It seems to be stuck at a screen and says "installing" in front of a gray background with a large "X". This is getting frustrating. What should I do?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Sep 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
It has taken nearly an hour to install from a USB stick. It seems to be stuck at a screen and says "installing" in front of a gray background with a large "X". This is getting frustrating. What should I do?

Two questions.

1.) How old is your Macintosh?

2.) Has the progress bar moved at all? Even an inch?

fatherlytoaster
Sep 20, 2012, 06:24 PM
Two questions.

1.) How old is your Macintosh?

2.) Has the progress bar moved at all? Even an inch?

I ended up just shutting off the machine and when it restarted it allowed me to update for some reason. :rolleyes:

Steve.P.JobsFan
Sep 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
I ended up just shutting off the machine and when it restarted it allowed me to update for some reason. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. OS X can be "glitchy" when it comes to update/install sometimes. My iMac locked up during the initial ML install. Glad you got it worked out. :)

dogslife
Sep 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
I found this article that fixed this problem for me:
http://aproudlove.squarespace.com/blog/2011/7/23/how-to-fix-restore-failure-could-not-restore-resource-busy.html

Basically, for some reason, I had to unmount the Destination partition. The article notes that Finder is the resource thats using the mounted drive. Here's a quote from the article:

After a bit of thinking though, the solution came to me, the problem was due to the fact that the USB disk that I wanted to restore the disk to was mounted in finder. The solution therefore was in Disk Utility, to click on the partition beneath the disk and select unmount. Note it's important to unmount just the partition and not the disk. You can see an example in the screenshot below, The 16GB Kingston DataTraveler is the device/disk and beneath it, is the Mac OS X Installer partition that was created on it. By unmounting this partition, you enable Disk Utility to restore the Lion Image to the device.

Why this is only happening to some of us is a mystery!

@Steve.p - Thanks for writing this guide!

:)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Sep 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
I found this article that fixed this problem for me:
http://aproudlove.squarespace.com/blog/2011/7/23/how-to-fix-restore-failure-could-not-restore-resource-busy.html

Basically, for some reason, I had to unmount the Destination partition. The article notes that Finder is the resource thats using the mounted drive. Here's a quote from the article:

Why this is only happening to some of us is a mystery!

@Steve.p - Thanks for writing this guide!

:)

Yeah. I installed ML on 4 computers that day, and I ran into the same issue everybody was running into myself on two of them. I don't know why it was happening. Your mileage will vary when it comes to technology. I'm *hoping* that unmounting will be the permanent solution. But, at least you found one. Oh, and you're welcome for the guide. I was in Pittsburgh Best Western with my PowerBook G4 (I returned it to the eBay seller one week after I wrote the guide) and was bored. So, I fired up Pages, and wrote this to help reduce the sea of "Mountain Lion won't install/My ML install is borked/HALP!" threads. Thanks for your support. :)

- S.P.J.F/William

hamkor04
Oct 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hi guys

Im having TM restoring problem(ML).
i have latest TM back ups and Super-duper sparse bundle
Problem one: Couldn't figure out how to restore from Sparsebundle (Disk utility nor Super duper)
Problem two: TM restoring giving me only 3 back ups those created 3 month ago(they are still in OSx 10.7.x) But I can see the files from finder (Latest TM back ups).
How I can tell the mac to use latest TM dates, it says only full back ups can be restored or something like that :mad:

Any help would be very appreciated.

butane bob
Oct 27, 2012, 01:36 AM
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before - I'm new around here

I have just bought a macbook pro, and would like to upgrade it with an SSD, so will need a mountain lion download. The macbook came with mountain lion already installed, so it does not appear in my app store purchases to download. Is there any way of downloading it without having to pay for an upgrade I already have?

Cheers

hamkor04
Oct 27, 2012, 01:47 AM

I have just bought a macbook pro, and would like to upgrade it with an SSD, so will need a mountain lion download. The macbook came with mountain lion already installed, so it does not appear in my app store purchases to download. Is there any way of downloading it without having to pay for an upgrade I already have?

Cheers

Hi Bob

Unfortunatly, u won't be able download new ML for free (from app store) unles you buy it separatly.
But you can use SuperDuper (goigle it) and u connect ur SSD as a external hard and all you do is, just copy all your current hard drive, in this way u won't loos any system config and any file u have (include ML) if its first time, don't be tempted to wipe ur HDD (incase anything goes wrong)

Weaselboy
Oct 27, 2012, 10:54 AM

Cheers

Just do a command-r boot after the new drive is installed. Your new MBP has recovery built into system firmware (EFI) that will connect to Apples servers and first download a recovery image then finally the full OS. Once the recovery screen comes up you will see Disk Utility in a menu there. Just run Disk Util and format the new drive Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and install Mountain Lion from the same screen. It will take a bit as it has to download the 4.7 install.

Apple's servers will see your serial number and give you Mountain Lion free.

butane bob
Oct 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
many thanks for the replies guys, most helpful - I've installed superduper and made a hdd clone already, but will try your suggestion first weaselboy - these macs are awfully clever it seems :)

Weaselboy
Oct 28, 2012, 01:03 PM
many thanks for the replies guys, most helpful - I've installed superduper and made a hdd clone already, but will try your suggestion first weaselboy - these macs are awfully clever it seems :)

Superduper will get your data back, but it does not create a Recovery HD partition like the ML install will, and you really should have the Recovery HD there. If you want to go the clone route you can use the 30 trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to do that and it will create the recovery partition.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Nov 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
I've been meaning to post in here for awhile now (I'm talking since 10.8.1 was released), but I've been so busy.

You cannot apply an incremental update to your OS X ML USB key. You have to re-download ML all over again from the Mac App Store, and re-image it to your key.

Besides that, I'm assuming since there hasn't been a post in here for awhile, nobody has had issues with this? Feel free to PM/post in here if you have any issues in the future.

recca231
Nov 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
almost a month now i've been planning to upgrade my iMac..

Thanks for this

TaxTech
Nov 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Help.

I just upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion.

We use Yahoo Mail via Safari. When we try to attach a file, it says "invalid file type", and won't attach the file.

When I did a search on this forum, "Safari Attach" , I don't see any matches. I can't be the only one??..

Ugh. Any suggestions?

(I wish I read your PDF on creating a UBS restore. Tsk. )

Thanks!!
TaxTech guy

PS. I'm trying to learn how to make iphone apps, so I had to upgrade to get XCode. Former winders guy, novice at this mac thingie.

throttlemeister
Nov 30, 2012, 03:56 AM
I have a few issues with this guide:

1) Installing like this will not update the internet recovery partition, which means things quickly go downhill even further in the case you need it.

2) Restoring with Migration Assistant without settings is essentially the same as upgrading 'the Apple way' and deleting the contents of your ~/Library/Application Support and /Library/Application Support

Doing a normal upgrade as Apple intended and deleting those directories will yield a similar result quicker and take care of your recovery partition as well.

hamkor04
Nov 30, 2012, 05:50 AM
Help.

I just upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion.

We use Yahoo Mail via Safari. When we try to attach a file, it says "invalid file type", and won't attach the file.

When I did a search on this forum, "Safari Attach" , I don't see any matches. I can't be the only one??..

Ugh. Any suggestions?

(I wish I read your PDF on creating a UBS restore. Tsk. )

Thanks!!
TaxTech guy

PS. I'm trying to learn how to make iphone apps, so I had to upgrade to get XCode. Former winders guy, novice at this mac thingie.

Do you have latest patch?

choreo
Dec 3, 2012, 05:02 PM
This thread was a big help. Finally took the plunge and upgraded my MacPro 3.1 (early 2008) Desktop to ML from 10.6.8. and installed it on a new Velociraptor drive at the same time. Wiped out most of a day to get everything back up to snuff.

Relatively painless, but lost access to about 20 apps that do not offer support for Lion. Had to purchase the 2011 MS Office

My 5 printers all came back up, but as usual lost my SilverFast Scanner support, so have to buy an upgrade to use the scanners.

Biggest thing I miss is WindowShade X. I purchased WindowMizer, but it does not work in most apps. I will never understand why the Mac OS removed double-clicking window title bars to collapse in place - there simply is not substitute.

cooa99
Dec 18, 2012, 08:25 AM
I have a few issues with this guide:

1) Installing like this will not update the internet recovery partition, which means things quickly go downhill even further in the case you need it.

But I thought an clean install overwrites everything and then recreate the recovery partition?

cooa99

Weaselboy
Dec 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
But I thought an clean install overwrites everything and then recreate the recovery partition?

It does.

cooa99
Dec 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
It does.

so I take it that throttlemeister's comment is wrong ?

Weaselboy
Dec 18, 2012, 07:50 PM
so I take it that throttlemeister's comment is wrong ?

Yes. Any install of lion or Mountain Lion creates a Recovery HD partition on the target drive.

cooa99
Dec 19, 2012, 05:18 AM
Yes. Any install of lion or Mountain Lion creates a Recovery HD partition on the target drive.

Thanks for clearing that up.

on another note I am getting frustrated.

I have followed the steps in page1 to try and restore the the InstallESD.dmg to a USB flash drive but keep getting an error after I click on the restore button.

it says :-

Restore Failure
Could not restore - Resource busy

Any clues please ?

Thanks

Weaselboy
Dec 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

on another note I am getting frustrated.

I have followed the steps in page1 to try and restore the the InstallESD.dmg to a USB flash drive but keep getting an error after I click on the restore button.

it says :-

Restore Failure

Any clues please ?

Thanks

Try reformatting the USB key to Mac OS Extended just to make sure it is clear, then use this free app (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) to make the installer. The app give you the same end result and just takes the guesswork out of it. :)

cooa99
Dec 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Try reformatting the USB key to Mac OS Extended just to make sure it is clear, then use this free app (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) to make the installer. The app give you the same end result and just takes the guesswork out of it. :)

cheers again, i figured out what the original problem was ...... but I also created another usb stick with the app in your link.

I am still not free of issues !.

I tried booting into both the 2 created usb sticks and get the same error pretty much at the start of the whole process .. :-

There was a problem Installing "Mac OS X"

These 2 USB sticks seem ok on my MBPRetina but seem not to work on my mac mini (2011) that I am trying to instal ML.

Any clues?, could it be because I am using wireless keyboard & Mouse & HDMI TV as monitor?

cheers

cooa99

cooa99
Dec 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
There was a problem Installing "Mac OS X"

These 2 USB sticks seem ok on my MBPRetina but seem not to work on my mac mini (2011) that I am trying to instal ML.

Resolved,

I had to reset the PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)and everything went smooth :)

cheers

cooa99

touchstone
Dec 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for making this guide! I was really nervous about upgrading my OS since it was my first time so I decided to use the Lion DiskMaker and followed your guide from step 10 on. Now that I've done it once and know what to expect I'll probably try to follow your guide the whole way through for whatever OS X come next (I really hope it's called Domestic Shorthair since they have to be running out of big cats...)

skinnywhitepipe
Dec 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and need some help. I updated to IOS6 and Mountain Lion. Not sure what's caused it, but since then, when I try to connect to my time capsule it makes me type in my password but keeps my old password in the box and i have to type over it, even though I check remember this password. Any ideas how I can fix this. I would like to be able to open time capsule and have it connect automatically. Thanks with any help.

Weaselboy
Dec 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and need some help. I updated to IOS6 and Mountain Lion. Not sure what's caused it, but since then, when I try to connect to my time capsule it makes me type in my password but keeps my old password in the box and i have to type over it, even though I check remember this password. Any ideas how I can fix this. I would like to be able to open time capsule and have it connect automatically. Thanks with any help.

Try turning off Time Machine then go into Keychain app and delete all entries for Time Machine or Time Capsule. Just search for "time" and you will see them. No turn Time Machine back on and enter the password when prompted and check to box to remember it. That should do it.

Confuzzzed
Jan 3, 2013, 05:37 AM
First up, like many before me I want to say thanks to @Steve.p for putting the guide together. Excellent. I have read the thread but can not see any reference to anyone doing a basic migration (as opposed to a clean start and moving programmes and user data individually) from Lion Server to a factory pre-installed ML machine. I am expecting a new iMac any day now (lets be optimistic, ey) and my time machine back ups are of a mac mini server (Lion). Will this cause any issues that I need to be aware of?

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jan 3, 2013, 05:50 AM
First up, like many before me I want to say thanks to @Steve.p for putting the guide together. Excellent. I have read the thread but can not see any reference to anyone doing a basic migration (as opposed to a clean start and moving programmes and user data individually) from Lion Server to a factory pre-installed ML machine. I am expecting a new iMac any day now (lets be optimistic, ey) and my time machine back ups are of a mac mini server (Lion). Will this cause any issues that I need to be aware of?

The only issues I can think of that would cause an issue, is that your Server data and applications won't be transferred, because Server isn't installed on your iMac.

What you should do is create a temporary account on the iMac (with a different account name than on your TM backups), install Server from the App Store, then transfer your data with Migration Assistant. It's in the Utilities folder.

That'd be the best way to ensure everything is transferred.

Oh, and congrats on the new iMac. My 2011 model I bought on SJ's birthday last year (2012) is still my workhorse. :D

Confuzzzed
Jan 3, 2013, 07:56 AM
Oh, and congrats on the new iMac. My 2011 model I bought on SJ's birthday last year (2012) is still my workhorse. :D

Thanks for that and your prompt response! To be honest, I don't have any server applications or data that I need, unless the OS turned my music, videos, photos and other user data into a 'server' subtype. Which I don't think is that case but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

skinnywhitepipe
Jan 5, 2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks weaselboy. It worked

Ruahrc
Jan 6, 2013, 01:43 AM
Just want to confirm- if I do a clean install of OS X, wiping everything, I won't also hose my Windows 7 boot camp installation that is located on the same physical drive (but different partition), right?

And ML install will cleanly handle updating/re-creating of the hidden restore partition (not create a new one and abandon the old one, wasting disk space), and also detect the windows 7 installation on the drive and give me the appropriate bootup options in system preferences>startup disk?

This mac has some weird problems on it (that have existed ever since it was new) relating to spotlight not indexing my mail and also not ever going to sleep on its own. I've spent many hours trying to research/diagnose/fix both all to no avail and I think the only salvation lies in a clean purge of the whole drive and starting over.

Weaselboy
Jan 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
Just want to confirm- if I do a clean install of OS X, wiping everything, I won't also hose my Windows 7 boot camp installation that is located on the same physical drive (but different partition), right?

As long as you just erase the OS X partition, it will be fine. That said, I have read posts from users here having trouble with the Bootcamp install after an OS X upgrade... so make sure you have it backed up.

And ML install will cleanly handle updating/re-creating of the hidden restore partition (not create a new one and abandon the old one, wasting disk space), and also detect the windows 7 installation on the drive and give me the appropriate bootup options in system preferences>startup disk?

The ML install will make sure you have one, good Recovery HD partition. It won't create a second.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hi guys,

I've read through this entire thread, but would still like some input from the pros out there.

I just picked up a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to go in my base 2011 mini. I'm going to use this as the sole drive, as all my media is stored on a NAS. 256GB is plenty. I do perform Time Machine backups to my NAS, and I also have external docks + bare drives to use for additional backups/recovery.

Since my mini is 1.5yrs old, I'm a bit worried about moving over junk/garbage via a Time Machine restore to the new SSD. The mini works fine, but of course there has been a dozen+ programs come and gone over the time, and I'd like to get as clean of a start as possible. I'm running Mountain Lion, since the day it came out.

There are a few programs that I currently run that I basically have to keep the settings for. I also run a couple of start-up scripts, that I'd rather not re-do from scratch.

Should I use Recovery Assistant?
Would I check "Settings"?
Would I pull out my current HDD and just attach via USB dock? Will the mini recognize it once I install ML from the internet recovery option on the bare drive?

I basically have all the hardware/facilities to make this go smoothly, just not sure how to best retain my current config without bringing over 1.5 years worth of garbage.

Weaselboy
Jan 15, 2013, 11:54 AM
Should I use Recovery Assistant?
Would I check "Settings"?
Would I pull out my current HDD and just attach via USB dock? Will the mini recognize it once I install ML from the internet recovery option on the bare drive?

1. You will want to use Migration Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US). But this will bring over all the old "junk" you mentioned.

2. Only if you want system settings brought over. If you want to reset them all, you can uncheck it.

3. You can just pop the new blank drive in then option key boot to your Time Machine backup and format the drive then restore all from the Time Machine backup disk. No need to redownload the OS.

The only true way to get and entirely "clean" install is to install the OS new then manually reinstall every app and setting. If you are not familiar with OS X, this can be quite a chore. IMO, if you current system is working okay, I would just restore it then you can manually look around and delete old things you don't need any longer.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:05 PM
1. You will want to use Migration Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US). But this will bring over all the old "junk" you mentioned.

2. Only if you want system settings brought over. If you want to reset them all, you can uncheck it.

3. You can just pop the new blank drive in then option key boot to your Time Machine backup and format the drive then restore all from the Time Machine backup disk. No need to redownload the OS.

The only true way to get and entirely "clean" install is to install the OS new then manually reinstall every app and setting. If you are not familiar with OS X, this can be quite a chore. IMO, if you current system is working okay, I would just restore it then you can manually look around and delete old things you don't need any longer.

Thank you.

Yeah, I don't think I wanted to reinstall every app and setting. I've got it working so well right now, I just don't think I'm up for that kind of headache. I don't get panics/crashes etc. Was trying to get as clean as I could, without turning it into a two-day project.

Last question.. when you say use the option key to boot via Time Machine, when/how exactly would I do this? I figured I would use Command+R to pull down Mountain Lion, then restore from TM backup, i.e. Step e here (http://pondini.org/TM/14.html).

Seems like its better to get a brand new ML download from the internet, then dump Time Machine backup onto it? Versus automatic re-image from existing Time Machine backup.

Also, will my machine have trouble finding my Time Machine via NFS share (NAS) when I first get going again?

Weaselboy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:23 PM
Last question.. when you say use the option key to boot via Time Machine, when/how exactly would I do this? I figured I would use Command+R to pull down Mountain Lion, then restore from TM backup, i.e. Step e here (http://pondini.org/TM/14.html).

Seems like its better to get a brand new ML download from the internet, then dump Time Machine backup onto it? Versus automatic re-image from existing Time Machine backup.

Also, will my machine have trouble finding my Time Machine via NFS share (NAS) when I first get going again?

I was assuming your Time Machine backup disk was on a local USB disk. Yu can boot from that and restore and get the same end result as if you redownloaded the OS then imported everything with Migration Assistant. There really is not benefit to redownloading the OS.

So you are saying your only Time Machine backup is on a NAS? If that is the case, you will not be able to boot from it, and will have to reinstall the OS like you said, then pull everything back in with Migration Assistant, which should be able to see the NAS TN backup.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 PM
I was assuming your Time Machine backup disk was on a local USB disk. Yu can boot from that and restore and get the same end result as if you redownloaded the OS then imported everything with Migration Assistant. There really is not benefit to redownloading the OS.

So you are saying your only Time Machine backup is on a NAS? If that is the case, you will not be able to boot from it, and will have to reinstall the OS like you said, then pull everything back in with Migration Assistant, which should be able to see the NAS TN backup.

I could easily make a second Time Machine back to a USB attached HDD, and not use the NAS version.

With that in mind, which is the preferred method?

Weaselboy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
I could easily make a second Time Machine back to a USB attached HDD, and not use the NAS version.

With that in mind, which is the preferred method?

Yes, if you have a USB disk laying around, that would make everything MUCH faster and easier. Just make a new TM backup to the USB disk, pop the SSD in and boot to the TM disk. Then format and restore. Done.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:39 PM
Yes, if you have a USB disk laying around, that would make everything MUCH faster and easier. Just make a new TM backup to the USB disk, pop the SSD in and boot to the TM disk. Then format and restore. Done.

Great, I will use that approach. Do I just hold down the Option key while booting?

Weaselboy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
Great, I will use that approach. Do I just hold down the Option key while booting?

Yep... that will bring up a screen with boot options and you will see the TM disk.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 12:56 PM
Yep... that will bring up a screen with boot options and you will see the TM disk.

Seems simple enough. However I'm surprised to hear that there is no benefit to a fresh install of ML via download (Command+R) upon initial bootup with new drive? With Windows, a fresh OS was always preferred :)

Weaselboy
Jan 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
Seems simple enough. However I'm surprised to hear that there is no benefit to a fresh install of ML via download (Command+R) upon initial bootup with new drive? With Windows, a fresh OS was always preferred :)

With OS X there is no central registry of settings like in Windows. So in OS X if you reinstall the OS, then use Migration Assistant to import everything, all those settings/apps/data etc get imported back in and you are pretty much right back where you were (for better or worse :)).

For there to be any benefit at all in OS X, you would have to install the OS fresh, then manually go through and reinstall/configure every single app and setting. That would be a true fresh install and would theoretically fix any issues caused by say a corrupted setting or a bad app. install. Unless you are having real problems with the system, it is normally not worth all this hassle.

BeatCrazy
Jan 15, 2013, 01:12 PM
With OS X there is no central registry of settings like in Windows. So in OS X if you reinstall the OS, then use Migration Assistant to import everything, all those settings/apps/data etc get imported back in and you are pretty much right back where you were (for better or worse :)).

For there to be any benefit at all in OS X, you would have to install the OS fresh, then manually go through and reinstall/configure every single app and setting. That would be a true fresh install and would theoretically fix any issues caused by say a corrupted setting or a bad app. install. Unless you are having real problems with the system, it is normally not worth all this hassle.

Ha, learn something new every day! Thanks again for your explanations and advice.

Jon-PDX
Jan 16, 2013, 07:43 AM
I'm still learning OSX (came from 20+ years of windows) so I apologize if the following is what you have been talking about in the last few posts or will not work on a Mac Mini.

When I added an SSD to my MacPro I renamed my original drive to Old Mac HD, installed my SSD, booted to the original drive, and then used the Disk Utility "Restore" function to copy everything from the old drive to the SSD.

It was like making an image of the old drive on the new one and hardly took any time at all to copy all the data over.

I was not sure it would work since the drives were not the same size but when I re-booted to the SSD it was just as if I had booted to the original drive.....but faster. Everything (OS, app's, setting, even all my email) was exactly the same. So I set the SSD as the boot drive and never looked back.

Would that not also work on the Mini instead of having to use Migration Assistant to import everything from Time Machine?

I'm probably missing something important but it's been over 2 months and it seems to work just fine.

Jon...

captndave
Feb 2, 2013, 06:50 AM
there is no better or more concise discussion of this. thanks again stevejobsfan I'm going to do another clean install of lion w/o migration assistant. I refer back to this thread each time.

rgbworld
Mar 7, 2013, 09:48 AM
Biggest thing I miss is WindowShade X. I purchased WindowMizer, but it does not work in most apps. I will never understand why the Mac OS removed double-clicking window title bars to collapse in place - there simply is not substitute.

I do not know why Apple removed the feature either, and with the demise of WindowShade, WindowMizer is the best alternative.

WindowMizer 2.0 is now available from www.rgbworld.com and fixes many issues. It works with all applications except Adobe Photoshop AFAIK. Please upgrade to version 2 and provide feedback. As the developer, I have addressed all known issues to date. Many people are very pleased with WindowMizer as a replacement for WindowShade.

This Apple Discussion has more details:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/21402479?ac_cid=tw123456#21402479

rocoloco
Mar 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
please shed some light on me, I already have ML on my mac since the update, now I want to reinstall it to have a fresh new ML, because when updating it I didn't do the clean install.

So now can I just reinstall it or should also follow this guide for migrating?

tnx

Weaselboy
Mar 15, 2013, 09:36 AM
please shed some light on me, I already have ML on my mac since the update, now I want to reinstall it to have a fresh new ML, because when updating it I didn't do the clean install.

So now can I just reinstall it or should also follow this guide for migrating?

tnx

If you want a true "clean install", you will need to follow this guide.

rocoloco
Mar 17, 2013, 04:42 AM
thanks,
but i wonder, can be "migrating" from ML to ML really the same?

Weaselboy
Mar 17, 2013, 05:37 AM
thanks,
but i wonder, can be "migrating" from ML to ML really the same?

You mean using Migration Assistant to move from ML to ML. That will certainly work, but it not a true "clean install" because potentially left over settings and files can still be moved over. The idea of a clean install is to do it all manually so that absolutely nothing old gets moved over.

That said, unless you are having some specific problem with the existing install you hope to fix with a clean install, there is not likely to be any real benefit from it. It can also be a lot of work, particularly is your are unfamiliar with OS X.

rocoloco
Mar 17, 2013, 05:53 AM
You mean using Migration Assistant to move from ML to ML. That will certainly work, but it not a true "clean install" because potentially left over settings and files can still be moved over. The idea of a clean install is to do it all manually so that absolutely nothing old gets moved over.

That said, unless you are having some specific problem with the existing install you hope to fix with a clean install, there is not likely to be any real benefit from it. It can also be a lot of work, particularly is your are unfamiliar with OS X.

umm not migration assistant, I am just having some issues with mail, have a lot of garbage on my air and since the upgrade there is a small window that is popping up and disappearing very fast after turning the mac on and sometimes while I watch movies, that is why i want to do a manual clean install with this guide.

so if now I download 10.8.3 installer and do the clean install things gonna go normal?

Weaselboy
Mar 17, 2013, 06:19 AM
umm not migration assistant, I am just having some issues with mail, have a lot of garbage on my air and since the upgrade there is a small window that is popping up and disappearing very fast after turning the mac on and sometimes while I watch movies, that is why i want to do a manual clean install with this guide.

Try turning off firewall briefly and see if that stops the popup. There is a setting that makes a window popup to ask permission to connect and sometimes it results in that window you are describing.

so if now I download 10.8.3 installer and do the clean install things gonna go normal?

Hard to say. It could be a setting you have and it may be there even with a clean install if you set things the same way again.

rocoloco
Mar 17, 2013, 06:33 AM
i dont think it's a setting, after I upgraded L to ML, there it was, window pops up and disappears so fast I can't even read what it says. Lion was working perfectly.

doesn't fresh or clean install mean, that os will be like brand new and fresh from the start?

Weaselboy
Mar 17, 2013, 07:19 AM
i dont think it's a setting, after I upgraded L to ML, there it was, window pops up and disappears so fast I can't even read what it says. Lion was working perfectly.

doesn't fresh or clean install mean, that os will be like brand new and fresh from the start?

Yes, that's the idea. All I am saying is if it some setting or an app you installed, it may still be there when you put the app/setting back.

rocoloco
Mar 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
cool, thanks, i will try to do clean one :)

rocoloco
Mar 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
and i already ran into some trouble.

when trying to complete step 9, when i want to restore it says:

Restore Failure

what is this?

deve009
Apr 12, 2013, 03:40 AM
http://www.macworld.com/article/1161069/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know how to "Archive and Install" on Mountain Lion?

Thanks

Weaselboy
Apr 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know how to "Archive and Install" on Mountain Lion?

Thanks

The old "archive and install" is gone since Snow Leopard. ML now does essentially what and archive and install was but does not save the old version.

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
The old "archive and install" is gone since Snow Leopard. ML now does essentially what and archive and install was but does not save the old version.

So what you are saying is to backup all of the data, then do the re-install, and then re-load all the apps, docs, etc.

Weaselboy
Apr 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
So what you are saying is to backup all of the data, then do the re-install, and then re-load all the apps, docs, etc.

Of course you want to backup before the upgrade just to be safe, but no... the reinstall will not erase your data. Only the OS areas are "replaced".

johughes72
Apr 15, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hi
I have tried to follow your guide, and have posted a new thread this evening. I have had my Macbook Pro reinstalled to factory new, but I can't download Lion or ML. Lion is stuck 'calculating' at 425MB and won't go further. Pausing and restart gets a calculation of 55 days and then goes back to calculating.
PLEASE HELP - I can't get any work done or open back up files.
:mad:

opinio
May 19, 2013, 04:35 AM
Nice work.

Gus2
May 19, 2013, 06:12 PM
Six months ago, I swapped out my optical drive and put in an SSD with Mountain Lion and all my apps on it, with a HDD to store my data. This would have been wonderful as a guide through that process. Thanks for putting in the time to help others.

Over the past 3 weeks my system has become more and more unstable (lots of spinning beach balls, software locking up and having to resort to Force Quits, whereas before I almost never needed to) so I'm thinking about doing a clean install. In your travels have you seen anything that walks through how to reinstall the OS and apps, so I wouldn't have to go through everything, reseting all the system and app prefs and settings? I'm assuming files in the OS have become corrupted and this is my best course of action. I remember when I upgraded, I had a fair amount of work getting the system back to where it was, mapping the finder and apps to default to the HDD, restoring fonts, etc...it'd be great to avoid doing that all over again!

Cheers,

bully worm
May 23, 2013, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to boot from my USB but then it takes me to the X (forbidden) logo and my USB's light stops flashing. I have a 8gb Kingston USB, on a mid-09 MBP running 10.7.4.

Anyone shed any light?

Jon-PDX
May 27, 2013, 05:37 PM
Six months ago, I swapped out my optical drive and put in an SSD with Mountain Lion and all my apps on it, with a HDD to store my data. This would have been wonderful as a guide through that process. Thanks for putting in the time to help others.

Over the past 3 weeks my system has become more and more unstable (lots of spinning beach balls, software locking up and having to resort to Force Quits, whereas before I almost never needed to) so I'm thinking about doing a clean install. In your travels have you seen anything that walks through how to reinstall the OS and apps, so I wouldn't have to go through everything, reseting all the system and app prefs and settings? I'm assuming files in the OS have become corrupted and this is my best course of action. I remember when I upgraded, I had a fair amount of work getting the system back to where it was, mapping the finder and apps to default to the HDD, restoring fonts, etc...it'd be great to avoid doing that all over again!

Cheers,

Gus,

I may be to late with this reply but just in case you have not already started from scratch with a clean install, have you tried reseting permissions on your drives?

I had some of the same issues you describe when I moved my "user" directory (folder) off my SSD boot drive to my old HD. At first I thought the issues was not having it on the boot drive and moved it back. Things got worse and I was about ready to start with a clean install, reinstall all my programs, etc.... and just for fun I went into disk utility, checked/fixed errors and reset all my permissions and everything worked good as new.

Jon...

Gus2
Jun 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
Gus,

I may be to late with this reply but...have you tried reseting permissions on your drives?

And I'm a bit late replying to your reply, but just saw this. Yes. It was the first thing I tried. Managed to do some other tweaks after scanning other threads and I'm back to it working more stably. Not perfect, but much better. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jon-PDX
Jun 13, 2013, 07:10 AM
Good to hear you got it working better :)

Jon...

bigpoppamac31
Jun 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
Of course you want to backup before the upgrade just to be safe, but no... the reinstall will not erase your data. Only the OS areas are "replaced".

I'm looking into upgrading to ML cause I assume I'd have to for me to get 10.9. So would I not need to erase my internal HDD before installing ML?? My entire HDD is backed up and cloned onto an external drive with CCC. I was going to erase my internal drive to make it a completely clean and fresh install.

Weaselboy
Jun 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
I'm looking into upgrading to ML cause I assume I'd have to for me to get 10.9. So would I not need to erase my internal HDD before installing ML?? My entire HDD is backed up and cloned onto an external drive with CCC. I was going to erase my internal drive to make it a completely clean and fresh install.

Unless you just want to go through the exercise of a "clean install", there is no need to erase your drive. Just install ML over top of the existing OS, assuming you have Snow Leopard or better.

bigpoppamac31
Jun 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Unless you just want to go through the exercise of a "clean install", there is no need to erase your drive. Just install ML over top of the existing OS, assuming you have Snow Leopard or better.

I just want to get rid of any junk files hiding around my system. Sure it'd take awhile but I'd have a clean system in the end. I would put ML on a clean HDD and bring over what I wanted from the backup.

pcacd001
Oct 8, 2013, 02:02 AM
I had a question regarding using migration assistant. I have a Macbook air 2012(that runs Mountain Lion) that im getting ready to sell (SSD issues) and i am planning to put my black macbook 2007 2,1 back in commish!

I plan to install MFLP on my black macbook 2,1 and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with MIGRATION ASSISTANT? Just curious, seeing as to how this whole process is "unsupported". It wont be a killer if i lose my stuff, everythings backed up in the cloud or dropbox, but itd be nice to have the same users, wifi passwords, tabs etc again on my older macbook.

thank you for the post. and please lmk, thank you again.

oceanjaws
Oct 13, 2013, 03:31 AM
Hi.
Firstly... multo multo thanks for the guide.
Exceptionally helpful.

Tried to follow each step carefully with a 4Gb flash (am now waiting til I get an 8Gb flash drive) but when I got to step 8 "InstallESD.dmg" wasn't listed, and couldn't be dragged into, the "source" column. Neither could the flash drive be dragged into the "destination".

Any ideas why?

LuckyDuck69
Oct 17, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hi.
Firstly... multo multo thanks for the guide.
Exceptionally helpful.

Tried to follow each step carefully with a 4Gb flash (am now waiting til I get an 8Gb flash drive) but when I got to step 8 "InstallESD.dmg" wasn't listed, and couldn't be dragged into, the "source" column. Neither could the flash drive be dragged into the "destination".

Any ideas why?

Report back when you get an 8GB flash drive? I think that might be your issue.

nobodyhome
Nov 20, 2013, 09:44 PM
Just went through the whole process, but forgot to uncheck "Settings" when I used Setup Assistant to move everything over to the brand new computer.

What kind of things will happen with I don't uncheck Settings? Should I start over and uncheck Settings? What would be best?

Also, I've read that sometimes when people migrate their files (with either Migration or Setup) from a Time Machine backup they might not have everything from their last backup? Like iPhoto library missing and such. Anybody know anything more about this?

Thanks so much for this guide Incredibly helpful!

fussyoldfart
Nov 21, 2013, 04:30 PM
Is it safe to use the instruction sheet provided in they post to do a clean install of Mavericks?

I would appreciate knowing that there are no new hooks or foibles to look out for. :eek:

Darrell (fussyoldfart) McDonald

uksupreme101
Mar 1, 2014, 01:31 AM
Hi Guys,

So ive followed an older guide where i have downloaded ML and successfully installed onto unsupported mac. However the last step im kinda stuck as i need to go into to terminal and copy a plist file to the installation target. Because i cannot do this i get the grey circle when booting.

Could anyone explain how i would go about doing this and is there a way to check where the file actually is to ensure that i get the paths correct? Again i can only really hold down options and get into terminal from utilities.

Any help is much appreciated been stuck on this for hours

Regards
Dan