Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/wireless/are-atts-group-data-plans-already-rolling-out/

att-group-data-cropped.jpg

TechnoBuffalo said:
Shared data plans are the new unlimited. Verizon was first to pull the trigger with its “Share Everything Plans” in June, and AT&T is also preparing something of its own as well. In fact, the carrier may already have something in place as we speak.

Thanks to a curious tipster keeping an eye on his data usage, a new option has cropped up without notice. Under the Data section is now a mention of “Group Data,” which currently reads at zero.

In May, AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega expressed his interest in offering linked data plans, which would essentially let multiple devices guzzle from the same data. Maybe it’s out, maybe it’s not. Hopefully we’ll know more soon.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
AT&T and Verizon typically carbon copy what the other does in terms of services and payments for things.

Group Data was coming, the whole idea of it was already up for grabs. All that it takes is to see which company pulls the trigger first and serve as the guinea pig for the new method.

If it works for them, the other will follow.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
AT&T and Verizon typically carbon copy what the other does in terms of services and payments for things.

Group Data was coming, the whole idea of it was already up for grabs. All that it takes is to see which company pulls the trigger first and serve as the guinea pig for the new method.

If it works for them, the other will follow.

I'm pretty sure Verizon already offers shared data, so AT&T will be second. It's a shame they copy each other on pricing usually :(

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I'm pretty sure Verizon already offers shared data, so AT&T will be second. It's a shame they copy each other on pricing usually :(

Yeah that's what I said. I know Verizon already has it, I am just stating how each carrier just copies the other. Example this, but we can also look into eliminating unlimited data, free mobile-to-mobile with XYZ plan... etc

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I checked out the Verizon pricing just to get an idea of what At&t might do and it would raise my bill if my wife and i switched to group data. Without savings there's no reason to even consider switching to a group plan. :(

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
The only reason I was interested in group "shared" data is so I can share my iPhone's data with my iPad. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Currently my bill is $76 a month.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I dread AT&T prices are going to be as crappy and piss poor as Verizons to where it will really raise the price for most people instead of lower it.

Lets see 40 a phone for a smaller pull of data kind of crappy but we knew it was coming. I am really hoping the back lash Verizon got would of prevented AT&T from pulling a stunt like it.

I am willing to bet AT&T will use this to kill off the unlimited plans as well.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The only reason I was interested in group "shared" data is so I can share my iPhone's data with my iPad. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Currently my bill is $76 a month.

You hope tethering is included. I wager it wont be. It will just be actual phones on the plan only most likely.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The thing about the shared models they appear to be rolling out is that there is a charge per device to access the data. So you pay to have data in the first place and then you pay a monthly fee to access that data on each of your different devices. That just seems like overkill to me. I was hoping you would simply pay one "sharing fee", but I guess I was hoping in vain. Why would they make it simple when they can jack up the fees by charging al a carte.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
The thing about the shared models they appear to be rolling out is that there is a charge per device to access the data. So you pay to have data in the first place and then you pay a monthly fee to access that data on each of your different devices. That just seems like overkill to me. I was hoping you would simply pay one "sharing fee", but I guess I was hoping in vain. Why would they make it simple when they can jack up the fees by charging al a carte.

These people have to make their bonus money somehow right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.