PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Launch OS X Mountain Lion on July 25th?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/15/apple-to-launch-os-x-mountain-lion-on-july-25th/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/mountainlion.png

Apple's set to release the latest version of OS X later this month. OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) is a $19.99 upgrade that will be available on the Mac App Store.

The latest Mac operating system contains a number of improvements (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/) and features. The list includes Reminders, Messages, Notification Center, Power Nap, Dictation, Gatekeeper and many more (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html).

Apple has only said that the new version of OS X will launch in July, but 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-store-overnights-happening-july-24-mountain-lion-launch-the-next-day/) now speculates that Apple may be launching the new version of OS X on July 25th.

The reasoning comes from reports that Apple Retail stores will be performing overnight updates to stores on July 24th. Those updates could include the posting of marketing information and OS installations of OS X Mountain Lion to store computers.

While the exact content of the overnight updates aren't yet confirmed, the timing would also correlate with Vacation blackout days (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/vacation-blackout-hints-at-late-july-release-for-os-x-mountain-lion/) that MacRumors had heard from several employees at a thirty-party firm that offers technical support for Apple products.

Article Link: Apple to Launch OS X Mountain Lion on July 25th? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/15/apple-to-launch-os-x-mountain-lion-on-july-25th/)

applefanDrew
Jul 15, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yes. That is the date for release.

Sith Vol
Jul 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
Bring it on.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
A Wednesday? That seems a little odd to me... what day do they normally release new OS versions on? I thought, in order from most to least common, they were Tuesday, Friday, Monday?

Either way, it sounds like there's a decent chance my ML app updates will be approved in time for ML's release (I submitted them last night... I had them ready on Wednesday, but Apple's Mac Dev pages have been loading SOOOOO slow since they told developers to start submitting!)

I'm running the GM so I'll probably wait until a week or two after ML is officially launched to get OSX 10.8.0... no point in waiting for an 8 hour download when it could take just 30 minutes a week later.

David085
Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
Was hoping the 17th Tuesday that long whaaat waaah waahh lol :(

dontwalkhand
Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
I can't wait, but I know that I wouldn't be able to get it the day it comes out because Apple's servers would be pounded, and it would take 8 hours to download.

Irock619
Jul 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
A Wednesday? That seems a little odd to me... what day do they normally release new OS versions on? I thought, in order from most to least common, they were Tuesday, Friday, Monday?

Does it really matter? It's coming out this month for sure, I can't wait to receive iMessages on my mac :D

edry.hilario
Jul 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
they also speculate that there wont be any updated hardware WTF!!!!!! seriously whats going with the iMacs is anyone with me?

moderngamenewb
Jul 15, 2012, 10:32 PM

Lion was released on a Wednesday as well. Wednesday the 20th. I figured it'll probably be the 25th, the day after the Q3 conference if they repeat what they did last year.

aristobrat
Jul 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
I can't wait, but I know that I wouldn't be able to get it the day it comes out because Apple's servers would be pounded, and it would take 8 hours to download.
I think they use a content deliver network like Akami, as it wasn't slow to download on release day for most (IIRC from posts on here).

Johnf1285
Jul 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
I hope 2012 iMac rumors start to trickle in now too. I think many will be disappointed if the iMac and Mac Mini don't get Ivy Bridge updates along side the Mountain Lion release.

Sofabutt
Jul 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

JAT
Jul 15, 2012, 10:40 PM

They really seem to have stopped the "same day of the week" update/release thing. Or slowed it, at least.

edry.hilario
Jul 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
I hope 2012 iMac rumors start to trickle in now too. I think many will be disappointed if the iMac and Mac Mini don't get Ivy Bridge updates along side the Mountain Lion release.

heres the original post from 9to5 mac they say there wont be any hardware with ML.. i am so upset about this but i think theres hope because last year i bought a macbook air when lion came out and they werent in store stock till two days after so theres still hope

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-store-overnights-happening-july-24-mountain-lion-launch-the-next-day/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

maestrocasa
Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Sweet. When will they post 10.8.1? :rolleyes: I prefer to wait until the first major round of bugs is worked out.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Day after earnings... Same scenario as last year.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/lion-launches-tomorrow-on-mac-app-store/

fenlyn
Jul 15, 2012, 10:44 PM

Don't forget, it is a leap year... hence the extra day.

caincha
Jul 15, 2012, 10:44 PM
Is this only a upgrade or can I download it to make a clean install?
Also, all revisions of Lion that I got in the torrents and all the previews of Mountain Lion I've tried are buggy in my computer (iMac late 2008 3.06gh C2D and 4gb mem) so what if I pay for this Mountain Lion and it's still buggy?
Does anyone knows if I would be able to get a refund from Apple..?:confused:

G51989
Jul 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Well ill be stopping by the Apple store when it comes out to try it out

I hope its.good, I find mused on my gaming tower at home more than ever because 10.7 is a poop. Hopefully 10.8 will make me want to use my imac again

lannisters4life
Jul 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
Also, all revisions of Lion that I got in the torrents and all the previews of Mountain Lion I've tried are buggy in my computer (iMac late 2008 3.06gh C2D and 4gb mem) so what if I pay for this Mountain Lion and it's still buggy?
You can always download and make a bootable USB to make a clean install. But are you that worried about $20?

Dreamer2go
Jul 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
waiting for this so I can finally get the rMBP pre-installed with ML!!!
really dont want the hassle to download ML and then wait... hahaha

C.G.B. Spender
Jul 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
Is it that hard to remove damn white colour background from the image? Make it transparent. Looks better.

What is this?

http://f.cl.ly/items/3Z0d0o3m3h0D2B3F0N3n/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-16%20at%2006.47.33.jpg

David085
Jul 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
waiting for this so I can finally get the rMBP pre-installed with ML!!!
really dont want the hassle to download ML and then wait... hahaha

So you buy another computer, sounds like a waste of money.

caincha
Jul 15, 2012, 10:57 PM
You can always download and make a bootable USB to make a clean install. But are you that worried about $20?

I sure am!!:D
I'm not from US and the money rate is really not something I like, if you know what I mean...:(
Plus, 20 bucks are 20 bucks, if the OSX 10.8 is still buggy I could spend this money elsewhere instead of trashing it. :cool:

MacGurl111
Jul 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
I'm excited. Will be attempting to do a clean install for the first time! ;)

Johnf1285
Jul 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
heres the original post from 9to5 mac they say there wont be any hardware with ML.. i am so upset about this but i think theres hope because last year i bought a macbook air when lion came out and they werent in store stock till two days after so theres still hope

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-store-overnights-happening-july-24-mountain-lion-launch-the-next-day/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

After reading MacRumor's summary, and then the original article from 9-5, I went back to July 2011 (using the Archive link at the bottom) and looked at how close the rumors last year were. A week or so before Lion's release, it was speculated that Mac Pros and white MacBooks were going to be released. Then it changed a few times and then finally a few days before the rumors about the MacBook Airs was correct. So hopefully by the end of this week we will know more.

Also, I fully believe an Ivy Bridge iMac is just waiting for the right timing to be released. It's spec-bumped, maybe even has no optical drive (like 2010 Mini to 2011 Mini), but its just waiting. I feel that this is the case due to the GeekBench benchmarks of an iMac with a i7 3770. Mountain Lion is the best time to release it. Like Tim Cook said, they got an exciting year ahead, and what better way to keep the hype going after the Retina MacBook Pro last month than refreshed iMac, Mac Mini, Mountain Lion, and then iPhone 5, smaller iPad, and iOS6 in September/October and then a supposed Apple TV by the end of the year?

I'm optimistic about iMac and Mac Mini for July 25th.

M87
Jul 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
It didn't take forever to download Lion on release day, so I don't get why people are talking about "8-hour" downloads. Can't wait to upgrade my Retina MBP. :cool:

ScottishCaptain
Jul 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
If that's true, they have a lot of work to do.

If they ship 10.8 GM in its current state, then that's going to be downright embarrassing. There are so many graphical and aesthetic glitches it's not even funny. There are issues with kernel panics on Nvidia hardware, issues with sleep affecting nearly every pre-2012 Mac Pro, ColorSync support is broken, etc.

Their developer forums are literally overflowing with complaints, and every single bug report I've filed (over 23 in total) has been flagged as a duplicate of another bug.

There has to be a second GM. The first is simply too broken. You don't release something with that many "known issues" and confirmed bugs as a retail shipping product. If that's what we have to look forward to- crippled and broken GM releases with patches a few months later (where something is always broken all the time)- then I question the stability of OS X as a reliable platform and Apple's ability to actually push out working code.

-SC

Ajones330
Jul 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Wish it would have come out this week, my iPhoto is not working and was going to start fresh with ML...

RobertMartens
Jul 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
If iCloud is really the future, i wish they would hurry up

"the network is the computer"

arn
Jul 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Is it that hard to remove damn white colour background from the image? Make it transparent. Looks better.

What is this?

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/3Z0d0o3m3h0D2B3F0N3n/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-16%20at%2006.47.33.jpg)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12561461&postcount=500

I don't recommend "Fluid HD" mode. It breaks formatting and looks ugly. :)

arn

iMikeT
Jul 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
That's one hot cougar, yum! ;)

ridesdeepsnow
Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
But generally if your computer is a 2007/2008 or older you most likely will not be able to upgrade because Apple felt that it "was not worth their time" to make an update for those with 32 bit video drivers...

Awesome, but I am sure if Apple truly decides not to do this a hack will be made to override this or maybe a lone software engineer will write the code to allow for the update to mountain lion.

I could care less about the OS upgrade I just want the extra features, nap time & the new dictation are wonderful features.

the8thark
Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
The US have it really good. $19.99. SO you buy a $20 iTunes card, hopefully on special and you're al good.

Us Aussies though have to pay $20.99 so we have to get the $30 iTunes card for it. I bought my $30 card for 20% off. Only cost me $26. $26 is still a very good price if you look at it that way. And I have $9 left over for some nice Apps for the Mac.

Is this a bad thing?
No. Just wanted to point this out.

DisMyMac
Jul 15, 2012, 11:12 PM
they also speculate that there wont be any updated hardware WTF!!!!!! seriously whats going with the iMacs is anyone with me?

Master Cook says we each get 2 mules and 40 acres if we stay on his plantation!

blueicedj
Jul 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
The US have it really good. $19.99. SO you buy a $20 iTunes card, hopefully on special and you're al good.

Us Aussies though have to pay $20.99 so we have to get the $30 iTunes card for it. I bought my $30 card for 20% off. Only cost me $26. $26 is still a very good price if you look at it that way. And I have $9 left over for some nice Apps for the Mac.

Is this a bad thing?

You know you can just buy it from the Mac App Store *it'll use your credit/debit card info*

dukebound85
Jul 15, 2012, 11:16 PM

Is this a bad thing?

there is still sales tax....so a 20 GC won't be enough

also, why not just use your cc?

ridesdeepsnow
Jul 15, 2012, 11:20 PM

Is this a bad thing?

Pay the tax on your credit card, after you use your Gift Card it will ask you for a payment of $00.99

Come on McFly, think..........

landroverz7
Jul 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
I bought the retina macbook, so I understand I get the update for free. So do I have to do anything when ML is released, or will I just see the install instead of purchase option when I launch the MacAppstore and click on the OSX ML app?

mrsir2009
Jul 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
Does it really matter? It's coming out this month for sure, I can't wait to receive iMessages on my mac :D

You already can, with the iMessages Beta App for Lion ;)

Peace
Jul 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
I bought the retina macbook, so I understand I get the update for free. So do I have to do anything when ML is released, or will I just see the install instead of purchase option when I launch the MacAppstore and click on the OSX ML app?

You have to click on this link .

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

More info there.

Exotic-Car Man
Jul 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm still staying by my original prediction (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15215216#post15215216).

Whoa, you and me are just two peas in an iPod!
FTFY

dearlaserworks
Jul 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
If they ship 10.8 GM in its current state

Count on it. And expect an update about a month later, 10.8.1, followed by 10.8.2 a couple months after that. The .0 is for early adopters, .2 for the conservative, typically. Lion releases were spaced out like that last fall.

Kaibelf
Jul 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
I think they use a content deliver network like Akami, as it wasn't slow to download on release day for most (IIRC from posts on here).

Totally. I got Lion in about 35 minutes.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 15, 2012, 11:46 PM

Why don't you have it yet, then?

Apple released it as a public beta several months ago. IDK if they ever updated it though... that beta version sucked (it was incredibly slow. It was determined to download every single iMessage you'd ever sent or received before it allowed you to type a new one. Also, it showed you your oldest one, first, which for me was over a year old and with someone I message a hundred times a day. So... yeah, that beta sucked. They made the download occur in the background though, in ML, and they download your most recent ones first and then download prior ones as it's able... and it doesn't block you from typing new messages.)

ThunderSkunk
Jul 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
I took a day and installed Mountain Lion on my 2011 Quad i7 MBP, and also upgraded to Final Cut Pro X, CS6, Parallels, Acad & Inventor 2013, all at once.

It's like a whole new computer.

No bugs yet, just noticeably fast like Snow Leopard was, but with a lot of nice new features.

I may consider upgrading only to even-numbered releases from now on.
Like Star Trek movies, they're just better.

BlackMangoTree
Jul 16, 2012, 12:08 AM
Mountain Lion is incredibly fast blows away Lion, a must upgrade from the get go.

CarlHeanerd
Jul 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only retarded or new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

MacRumors needs to return the downvote button. Clearly you haven't had a chance to get your hands on the new OS yet, but I can assure you that there are many more changes and refinements under the hood than the additional "iOS goodies" Apple has sprinkled on top. I have been using this as my primary OS for a few months now and my computer has gotten a breath of fresh life as far as speed and feeling lightweight. Don't expect any major overhauls for interface or core technologies until OS XI, if that ever exists.

And hey, if you don't want the new features, by all means don't use them. You have that option, unlike another company's competing operating system.

mactmaster
Jul 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
Miss the retail launch events with the shirts!

AngerDanger
Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Woah, you and me are just two peas in an iPod!

FTFY

Why would you put peas in an iPod? Disgusting! :p

Mountain Lion is incredibly fast blows away Lion, a must upgrade from the get go.

I have been using this as my primary OS for a few months now and my computer has gotten a breath of fresh life as far as speed and feeling lightweight.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that; as much as I love Lion, it seemed a bit... lethargic from the beginning. I'm hoping Mountain Lion is to Lion as Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

doobybiggs
Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
not soon enough if you ask me ... :apple::apple:

GenesisST
Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
To fund a return to third grade grammar class?

Careful, or you'll get a PM reminding you of a certain minor forum rule...

Personally, if someone from the USA or the UK uses bad English grammar, they should be fair game... :D

<sarcasm>English is my second language, so any bad grammar on my part CANNOT be reported</sarcasm> (Well, I'm fair game too) :D

tigress666
Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
MacRumors needs to return the downvote button. Clearly you haven't had a chance to get your hands on the new OS yet, but I can assure you that there are many more changes and refinements under the hood than the additional "iOS goodies" Apple has sprinkled on top. I have been using this as my primary OS for a few months now and my computer has gotten a breath of fresh life as far as speed and feeling lightweight. Don't expect any major overhauls for interface or core technologies until OS XI, if that ever exists.

And hey, if you don't want the new features, by all means don't use them. You have that option, unlike another company's competing operating system.

Exactly, I feel sorry for Windows users who don't like the Metro interface. From what I understand, MS pretty much railroads you into using it (to the point you have to load the desktop like an app on top if you want to work in desktop mode).

At least Apple so far isn't changing things so drastically you have to use the OS the new way. If you don't like the features, you don't have to use them. They aren't replacing stuff, more like adding.

thekeyring
Jul 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Damn! I go on holiday on the 22nd and won't have Internet access until August.

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Damn! I go on holiday on the 22nd and won't have Internet access until August.

Consider that a feature. You'll have a week of others finding all the bugs before you jump in the sandbox

lannisters4life
Jul 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
Careful, or you'll get a PM reminding you of a certain minor forum rule...

Personally, if someone from the USA or the UK uses bad English grammar, they should be fair game... :D

<sarcasm>English is my second language, so any bad grammar on my part CANNOT be reported</sarcasm> (Well, I'm fair game too) :D
To your credit, I've known a number of ESL students/graduates with vastly better spelling and grammar than home grown hicks. But yes, the reminders are piling up. Weird though that no one seems to get a reminder of this minor forum rule: "Common sense. In the end, use common sense."

lostngone
Jul 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
Oooh Nooo! What does this mean for all those complainers that said they would NEVER upgrade to snow leopard/Lion?!?

Suck it! You are going to have to upgrade eventually. Even better yet switch to Windows 8!

We don't need your disloyally!

petsounds
Jul 16, 2012, 01:14 AM

Do you have any tests to back up that statement? The few people I've talked to about it say it's about the same in performance.

---

Please Apple, please release Logic X soon. Logic is unreliable on Lion, and from what I've heard the performance is not up-to-par on Mountain Lion. It's pretty ridiculous that Apple's professional software is not tuned to work with their latest operating systems.

macosxuser01
Jul 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
I'm not upgrading till 10.8.x (10.8.1 or 10.8.2)
It's not worth downloading the day it comes out. I waited to download Lion till 10.7.2. Must likely do the same with Mountain Lion. Upgrading to brand new OS is stupid. Too many bugs and glitches. Rather wait a month or two till they fix it. The only major feature I'm looking forward to is Messages app. To me this next update isn't the same as upgrading from Panther (10.3) to Tiger (10.4). I remember when I made the upgrade from that OS and it was really like day and night from new features and improvements.

Lion to Mountain Lion is like upgrading your car windows from manual to power

alvindarkness
Jul 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
Do you have any tests to back up that statement? The few people I've talked to about it say it's about the same in performance.

---

Please Apple, please release Logic X soon. Logic is unreliable on Lion, and from what I've heard the performance is not up-to-par on Mountain Lion. It's pretty ridiculous that Apple's professional software is not tuned to work with their latest operating systems.

All you need to do is load up Steam, and play L4D2 or Serious Sam 3 BFE, and the difference in performance (between Lion and ML) on an AMD based GPU is literally like getting a hardware upgrade. Its staggeringly better. No idea if the Nvidia improvements are as great.

The OS in general seems more responsive too, but then that could just be psychological on my part. The gaming/opengl performance on the other hand is far from psychological.

lozpop
Jul 16, 2012, 02:11 AM
I'm really happy to read from more than one developer/tester that Mountain Lion is way faster and zippy than Lion. Someone even writes that it's like Snow Leopard.

I was really afraid that with all that iOS controlled features, the new OS would have slowed down even more the machine, but it looks like this won't be the case!

Fingers crossed.

Tech198
Jul 16, 2012, 02:13 AM
yay....

This is a good reason to get a MBA as well :apple: :)

ksgant
Jul 16, 2012, 02:48 AM
Apple has only said that the new version of OS X will launch in July, but 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple-store-overnights-happening-july-24-mountain-lion-launch-the-next-day/) now speculates that Apple may be launching the new version of OS X on July 25th.

That's still...um...July. They said July, and it will probably be July. So I can't understand why you even put in "but 9to5mac.com now speculates". Wouldn't it make more sense to phrase it like that if it weren't launching in July?

"They said it would launch in July, but now it's speculated to ship in August". See what I mean? I don't know, just looks weird. :rolleyes:

shu-gu-shot
Jul 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
I can't wait for the release!
Not because of ML itself, but because Siracusa will publish the review of it.
I judge about installing it based on it!

danielsutton
Jul 16, 2012, 03:36 AM
I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only retarded or new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

LOL! I agree that being an early-adopter carries risks, and I also prefer to wait until the kinks are worked out before I upgrade to a new OS. However, even if you do leave Apple, I am afraid that you will run into sandboxed applications and iOS/iCloud-like features no matter where you turn. Cloud computing, sandboxed apps, and social networking features are the way of the future.

And what do you say about fewer features? Apple says that there are over 200 new features in Mountain Lion, it appears that there are far more features than in Snow Leopard or Lion.

Morod
Jul 16, 2012, 03:45 AM
LOL! I agree that being an early-adopter carries risks, and I also prefer to wait until the kinks are worked out before I upgrade to a new OS. However, even if you do leave Apple, I am afraid that you will run into sandboxed applications and iOS/iCloud-like features no matter where you turn. Cloud computing, sandboxed apps, and social networking features are the way of the future.

Agreed. For better or worse, it seems this is way things are going. At least until it becomes obvious that it wasn't such a great idea after all.

mac1984user
Jul 16, 2012, 03:54 AM
The single best feature about Mountain Lion I've read about is the hot key for 'Save As'! I'm quite happy Apple listened to that request. I sent that to their feedback site quite soon after Lion's release, and I remember many people on these forums wanted to see a return of 'Save As' and suggested going to the feedback site. The only real problem is how awkward the keyboard shortcut will be - Command-Option-Shift-S! Anything beyond a three-finger shortcut just seems ridiculous to me, but you probably won't hear any further complaints from this end. Really looking forward to this release.

kyrrebs

I couldn't agree more. An updated iMac is extremely overdue. Bring on the Ivy Bridge, Retina Display, minumum of 8 GB RAM as standard 27 inch iMac. Now!

chaosbunny
Cloud computing, sandboxed apps, and social networking features are the way of the future.

They are not the future, just a way for corporations to mine even more of your data and information. That's why they are proclaimed as the future by these corporations. Sadly, too many people repeat it and play along without a second thought.

Jayomat
Jul 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
Agreed. For better or worse, it seems this is way things are going. At least until it becomes obvious that it wasn't such a great idea after all.

just like capitalism :cool:

Winni
Jul 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
I'm really happy to read from more than one developer/tester that Mountain Lion is way faster and zippy than Lion. Someone even writes that it's like Snow Leopard.

I was really afraid that with all that iOS controlled features, the new OS would have slowed down even more the machine, but it looks like this won't be the case!

Fingers crossed.

In total, Mountain Lion is a good upgrade. I don't need any of that useless Facebook/Twitter/Social Network crap that crawled into the OS, but it has MANY little improvements and features that make Mountain Lion a much better operating system with higher usability than Lion or any other of its predecessors. After having used it for a coupe of days, I am not sure whether it is really faster than Lion in everyday use; after a fresh install it felt faster, but once all my other software was on the system, I didn't feel that much of a difference anymore.

That brings me to this rather important point:

Do NOT make an upgrade installation! Wipe the hard disk and install a FRESH version of Mountain Lion. I tried a direct upgrade from Lion and afterwards the system was slow and behaved erratic to a point that made it unusable. A clean installation fixed all this for me.

One other thing: If you have a Cyborg RAT7 Contagion mouse, forget about it. The mouse is not yet compatible with Mountain Lion and it causes a ton of weird behavior of the dock, the menu bar and even your web browsers. The current available driver version is 1.1.42 and it does NOT solve any problems on Mountain Lion. Wait for the next release.

By the way, Microsoft Office 2008 and even Adobe Photoshop CS3 work both well under Mountain Lion. The only problem with CS3 is that it no longer connects to Adobe's update servers, you have to download and fetch the available updates manually.

Growl from the Mac AppStore also still works properly and runs side by side Apple's new notification system. Personally, Apple's notification system is of no use to me - I don't use Safari or any other of Apple's mini applications that come with the operating system, so I have yet to see the first notification coming through that pipeline. I'm sure that will change over time, but at the moment it doesn't do anything for me.

Gatekeeper: I prefer to call it Dungeon Keeper, but it doesn't really matter because it was the first feature that I had to turn off - VLC does NOT run if you have Gatekeeper activated, and VLC is my default video player.

Apple has a major design flaw in Gatekeeper - you CANNOT leave it turned on and simply add exception for that one application that does not run when Gatekeeper is turned on. It's either all or nothing. So I'd say that this whole security design is useless and Apple does not deserve any laurels for it. But then again, I still suspect that they did not care for security at all and only tried to push more users into the Mac AppStore.

lannisters4life
Jul 16, 2012, 04:01 AM
They are not the future, just a way for corporations to mine even more of your data and information. That's why they are proclaimed as the future by these corporations. Sadly, too many people repeat it and play along without a second thought.
Thank baby Jesus you're here to save us from all that tyranny.

Shearwater
Jul 16, 2012, 04:05 AM
....not sure about the 25th...but will be between now and 31st

tech4all
Jul 16, 2012, 04:07 AM

Whoa, you sure showed Apple who's boss! :p:rolleyes:

fivenotrump
Jul 16, 2012, 04:08 AM
I can't wait for the release!
Not because of ML itself, but because Siracusa will publish the review of it.
I judge about installing it based on it!

Agreed: I always look forward to his reviews, which are simply the best™

bterry1
Jul 16, 2012, 04:08 AM
I'll buy it as soon as it will be posssible :)

--
B Terry
b.terry@gmx.com

benwiggy
Jul 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
Where's my iMac?:mad:
I've been waiting since February, with a big pile of cash, to buy a new iMac.

Yes, the current model is much faster and more powerful than my six-year-old one, and can more than handle the jobs I'm likely to throw at it:

But the longer I wait, the more I'm sure that new models must be imminent.

And if I do buy the current model now, I'm going to feel like I've been shafted when the new ones turn up, which inevitably will be 10 minutes after the 14-day refund on my purchase expires.

IvyBridge, better GPU, cheaper/more SSD and USB 3 will do me fine.

As for Mountain Lion: I'm hoping that it will fix all the bugs in Lion, and that the Dictation feature will be useable. Apart from that, I haven't seen that much to commend it. If it's a bit snappier, that will do.

chaosbunny
Jul 16, 2012, 04:33 AM
Thank baby Jesus you're here to save us from all that tyranny.

I'm not here to save you. You can only do that yourself. But since thinking about what happens to your data once it's in the cloud requires more effort than posting a pseudo-witty comment that makes you feel superior, I doubt you are capable of questioning things presented to you by father Apple and mommy facebook.

lannisters4life
Jul 16, 2012, 04:47 AM
I'm not here to save you. You can only do that yourself. But since thinking about what happens to your data once it's in the cloud requires more effort than posting a pseudo-witty comment that makes you feel superior, I doubt you are capable of questioning things presented to you by father Apple and mommy facebook.
Haha great stuff. Hit me with some more probing insight into my character and potential parental issues based upon a sentence you've read on the internet.

iMcLovin
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 AM
Without a new iMac I don't care about a mountain lion release...

dank414
Jul 16, 2012, 04:57 AM
mountain roar~!

GermanyChris
Jul 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
Oooh Nooo! What does this mean for all those complainers that said they would NEVER upgrade to snow leopard/Lion?!?

Suck it! You are going to have to upgrade eventually. Even better yet switch to Windows 8!

We don't need your disloyally!

What???

It's a product you purchase not a cult.

----------

In total, Mountain Lion is a good upgrade. I don't need any of that useless Facebook/Twitter/Social Network crap that crawled into the OS, but it has MANY little improvements and features that make Mountain Lion a much better operating system with higher usability than Lion or any other of its predecessors. After having used it for a coupe of days, I am not sure whether it is really faster than Lion in everyday use; after a fresh install it felt faster, but once all my other software was on the system, I didn't feel that much of a difference anymore.

That brings me to this rather important point:

Do NOT make an upgrade installation! Wipe the hard disk and install a FRESH version of Mountain Lion. I tried a direct upgrade from Lion and afterwards the system was slow and behaved erratic to a point that made it unusable. A clean installation fixed all this for me.

One other thing: If you have a Cyborg RAT7 Contagion mouse, forget about it. The mouse is not yet compatible with Mountain Lion and it causes a ton of weird behavior of the dock, the menu bar and even your web browsers. The current available driver version is 1.1.42 and it does NOT solve any problems on Mountain Lion. Wait for the next release.

By the way, Microsoft Office 2008 and even Adobe Photoshop CS3 work both well under Mountain Lion. The only problem with CS3 is that it no longer connects to Adobe's update servers, you have to download and fetch the available updates manually.

Growl from the Mac AppStore also still works properly and runs side by side Apple's new notification system. Personally, Apple's notification system is of no use to me - I don't use Safari or any other of Apple's mini applications that come with the operating system, so I have yet to see the first notification coming through that pipeline. I'm sure that will change over time, but at the moment it doesn't do anything for me.

Gatekeeper: I prefer to call it Dungeon Keeper, but it doesn't really matter because it was the first feature that I had to turn off - VLC does NOT run if you have Gatekeeper activated, and VLC is my default video player.

Apple has a major design flaw in Gatekeeper - you CANNOT leave it turned on and simply add exception for that one application that does not run when Gatekeeper is turned on. It's either all or nothing. So I'd say that this whole security design is useless and Apple does not deserve any laurels for it. But then again, I still suspect that they did not care for security at all and only tried to push more users into the Mac AppStore.

Thats it..

Apple lost it's chance to prove "security" with flashback.

vsilves
Jul 16, 2012, 05:20 AM

No. Not really. It could be better. But if you turn Gatekeeper off, run VLC once, then turn it back on (to its default "Mac App Store and identified developers" setting) you will be able to continue running your precious VLC, "and" Gatekeeper will warn you of any future apps that violate the rule. That is, after authorizing an app to run once, by you the user, it is authorized forever.

Donka
Jul 16, 2012, 05:31 AM

I disagree with that - the whole point of Gatekeeper is that Apple cannot vouch for third party apps or non verified developers so allowing you to allow through such apps would actually be the design flaw in Gatekeeper. Software installations are still a manual process so it is up to you to decide if a particular app is safe or not - if you disable Gatekeeper you can still elect to install an application or not. Gatekeeper is just more suited to the more paranoid user who doesn't know exactly what they are installing. If I was setting up a Mac for my parents then I would enable Gatekeeper but for myself as I have done - I would disable it.

ironpony
Jul 16, 2012, 05:35 AM
My macbook is 4 years old (Appley obsolete)

so I don't get to join in the fun.

miniroll32
Jul 16, 2012, 05:35 AM
An updated iMac is extremely overdue. Bring on the Ivy Bridge, Retina Display, minumum of 8 GB RAM as standard 27 inch iMac. Now!

The chances are that, if the iMac lineup is indeed updated, then Apple will sell Retina versions of this computer alongside the existing design, just as the current MBP models are being sold. The reason for this is because, like the higher specs and price of the R-MBP, Apple can justify selling a next generation iMac at a higher price whilst maintaining a profit margin with the more expensive components.

It'll be quite a while before the iMac or MBP are phased and out replaced by the Retina counterparts.

makirun
Jul 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
Day of earning...still cant wait

iBug2
Jul 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
If that's true, they have a lot of work to do.

If they ship 10.8 GM in its current state, then that's going to be downright embarrassing. There are so many graphical and aesthetic glitches it's not even funny. There are issues with kernel panics on Nvidia hardware, issues with sleep affecting nearly every pre-2012 Mac Pro, ColorSync support is broken, etc.

Their developer forums are literally overflowing with complaints, and every single bug report I've filed (over 23 in total) has been flagged as a duplicate of another bug.

There has to be a second GM. The first is simply too broken. You don't release something with that many "known issues" and confirmed bugs as a retail shipping product. If that's what we have to look forward to- crippled and broken GM releases with patches a few months later (where something is always broken all the time)- then I question the stability of OS X as a reliable platform and Apple's ability to actually push out working code.

-SC

It was the same with Leopard, SL and Lion GM's. It's what a GM is, a copy with many bugs, none of which are too crucial.

zedsdead
Jul 16, 2012, 05:41 AM
Day of earning...still cant wait

Apple does not release products the day of the earnings call. Nor do they release products in between the announcement of the earnings call date and the call.

There will be no product releases until AFTER the 24th, so the 9to5 Mac article makes complete sense.

iBug2
Jul 16, 2012, 05:42 AM

Safari scrolling is way waster, but obviously don't expect to get better results in Geekbench. That's a hardware test.

Overall system responsiveness have been pretty much the same since SL. Leopard was way more responsive than anything that came afterwards but there's no big difference between SL, Lion and ML in responsiveness. Obviously due to newer graphics drivers each OS ran games better than the previous one. But that's something to be expected.

ikir
Jul 16, 2012, 05:43 AM

Buggy? In my experience 99% of "Lion's problems" are user problems or old software problems. check your system about updates for third party software.

star-affinity
Jul 16, 2012, 05:45 AM
The only problem with CS3 is that it no longer connects to Adobe's update servers, you have to download and fetch the available updates manually.

Hasn't been working in Lion for me either since some time back. Not sure it has anything to do with the OS anyway. Probably just Adobe who turned of the servers for CS3 (or something).

ikir
Jul 16, 2012, 05:47 AM
What???

----------

Thats it..

Apple lost it's chance to prove "security" with flashback.

1-That was not and Apple fault
2-They realized a tool for auto removing it
3-App Store is so good, multi license, endless installs and simply payment

Cmon being a whiner is not cool anymore. GateKeeper is very hand for most users, and devs can sign they apps even if not on mac App Store.
Speaking of this, all users who use VLC could download MPlayerX from MacApp Store which is more modern, updates and faster.

AnonMac50
Jul 16, 2012, 06:04 AM

Exactly what I always say.

Asclepio
Jul 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
Ml was good until GM release, clean install and seems to return to slow choppy Lion.
They try to cut 2011 macs make em obsolete.

Winni
Jul 16, 2012, 06:15 AM
No. Not really. It could be better. But if you turn Gatekeeper off, run VLC once, then turn it back on (to its default "Mac App Store and identified developers" setting) you will be able to continue running your precious VLC, "and" Gatekeeper will warn you of any future apps that violate the rule. That is, after authorizing an app to run once, by you the user, it is authorized forever.

Good to know. Unfortunately, this behavior of Gatekeeper is completely undocumented.

Xenomorph
Jul 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
QUICK!

Where can I get a 64-bit kext for my old ATI X1600? I want to install this on my 2006 MacBook Pro!!!

Winni
Jul 16, 2012, 06:21 AM
I disagree with that - the whole point of Gatekeeper is that Apple cannot vouch for third party apps or non verified developers so allowing you to allow through such apps would actually be the design flaw in Gatekeeper. Software installations are still a manual process so it is up to you to decide if a particular app is safe or not - if you disable Gatekeeper you can still elect to install an application or not. Gatekeeper is just more suited to the more paranoid user who doesn't know exactly what they are installing. If I was setting up a Mac for my parents then I would enable Gatekeeper but for myself as I have done - I would disable it.

Let's just say that we disagree here. Gatekeeper basically is a "Firewall for applications", and the normal way to setup a firewall is to first shut everything and then drill holes in the cheese to let the stuff through that you need or want. An either-or setup is no good here. But as I've learned here, you can apparently disable Gatekeeper temporarily, launch the app, and then re-enable Gatekeeper again and the once launched app still launches afterwards. Not necessarily an ideal way to do it, but it seems to work that way. I would have expected a dialog similar to the "Login items" dialog windows where I can add the apps that I want to use even when Gatekeeper is in place. And I'm pretty sure that Microsoft would have implemented it this way - but the guys in Redmond like customizable software and (hidden and complex) configuration dialogs, Apple plays in a different team.

GermanyChris
Jul 16, 2012, 06:23 AM
1-That was not and Apple fault
2-They realized a tool for auto removing it
3-App Store is so good, multi license, endless installs and simply payment

Cmon being a whiner is not cool anymore. GateKeeper is very hand for most users, and devs can sign they apps even if not on mac App Store.
Speaking of this, all users who use VLC could download MPlayerX from MacApp Store which is more modern, updates and faster.

The Java vulnerability that flashback used was patched by Oracle in February. Apple released the fix in May that's not exactly a quick reaction time.

On Gatekeeper, did I ask for Gatekeeper "please daddy Apple lock my computer down some more so I'm safe from myself." I know the faithful will say "but it's optional" and they'd be right for now.

Apple is removing optical drives and adding Gatekeeper, it sounds to me like a push to the MAS not safety.

Schizoid
Jul 16, 2012, 06:24 AM
Ml was good until GM release, clean install and seems to return to slow choppy Lion.
They try to cut 2011 macs make em obsolete.

...just bought a new SSD and installed clean ML on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and it goes like hell! Its a screamer!

Winni
Jul 16, 2012, 06:27 AM
QUICK!

Where can I get a 64-bit kext for my old ATI X1600? I want to install this on my 2006 MacBook Pro!!!

Didn't the 2006 MacBook Pros only have 32-Bit Core Duo CPUs? I know that later 2006 iMac models were upgraded to 64-Bit Core 2 Duo processors, but I don't recall if there were also re-configured MacBook Pros in that year - it's too long ago. If you only have a machine with a 32-Bit Core Duo processor, you can't install ML on that machine anyway.

If I were you, I'd probably put Windows 8 or a Linux flavor on that machine instead of wasting my time on an unreliable Mountain Lion hack.

Flitzy
Jul 16, 2012, 06:29 AM

Sorry, but I don't get this. How is it fewer features than Lion when they're adding features not taking away.

And how is getting an operating system on the day that it's released to the general public being an "early adopter"?

I've updated when OS updates came out back to Snow Leopard (Leopard being the first Mac I had) and have had absolutely no problems.

Winni
...just bought a new SSD and installed clean ML on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and it goes like hell! Its a screamer!

Well, you should have tried ML BEFORE you put an SSD disk in that machine -- because on an SSD drive, EVERYTHING goes like hell and is a screamer - even a completely unpatched version of Vista.

clukas
Perfect for me, just before I go on holiday :D:D:D:D:D.

Schizoid
Jul 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
Well, you should have tried ML BEFORE you put an SSD disk in that machine -- because on an SSD drive, EVERYTHING goes like hell and is a screamer - even a completely unpatched version of Vista.

it went pretty well on a good old spinny disk too!

DudeDad
Jul 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
Don't forget, it is a leap year... hence the extra day.

Seriously, that makes no sense at all. They can release when they choose. To suggest that they chose a specific date some time ago only to find that leap year pushed it back one weekday is silly.

JohnDoe98
Jul 16, 2012, 06:36 AM

False. Right click VLC, then click open. A prompt will pop up, click open. From now on VLC opens without a hitch and you didn't even need to turn Gatekeeper off. You've just created an exception for VLC.

bommai
Jul 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
I took a day and installed Mountain Lion on my 2011 Quad i7 MBP, and also upgraded to Final Cut Pro X, CS6, Parallels, Acad & Inventor 2013, all at once.

It's like a whole new computer.

No bugs yet, just noticeably fast like Snow Leopard was, but with a lot of nice new features.

I may consider upgrading only to even-numbered releases from now on.
Like Star Trek movies, they're just better.

Except for nemesis. It blew chunks.

JohnDoe98
Jul 16, 2012, 06:41 AM
Good to know. Unfortunately, this behavior of Gatekeeper is completely undocumented.

Maybe insufficiently documented, but when you try to turn Gatekeeper off it tells you how to create exceptions without having to actually turn it off, so you can learn about the hidden features that way. Apple is informing you on a need to know basis.

Thunderhawks
Jul 16, 2012, 06:43 AM
I won't believe it until there is a home button leak or a paw print!

JohnDoe98
Jul 16, 2012, 06:44 AM
Let's just say that we disagree here. Gatekeeper basically is a "Firewall for applications", and the normal way to setup a firewall is to first shut everything and then drill holes in the cheese to let the stuff through that you need or want.

That's exactly how it works.

An either-or setup is no good here.

That's not how it works.

But as I've learned here, you can apparently disable Gatekeeper temporarily, launch the app, and then re-enable Gatekeeper again and the once launched app still launches afterwards.

That's one way to do it, but a lousy way.

Superman Y2K
Jul 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
This seems weird timing to me as the 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids is going on on the exact same week.

Dagless
Jul 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
This seems weird timing to me as the 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids is going on on the exact same week.

It's a conspiracy!

alvindarkness
Jul 16, 2012, 07:03 AM

You know there are some of us that have used ML since DP1 through to DP4 and are now using the GM. And amazingly we can decide for ourselves at this point if we think its good enough to run as a permanent every day OS. Wow, deciding based on our own personal experiences, so retarded!

Going back into the past, I thought SL was pretty much rock solid on day one. Although the last developer release of SL did seem more 'snappy' than the final product. Luckily ML GM is the reverse, its saved about 1.2GB of HDD space over ML DP4 on my install, and does seem to run better overall - I guess they removed a bunch of debug code or something.

Lucky they are releasing it a day after the Steam sale ends, or theyd kill the internets! :p Its weird cause Lion seemed to download quickly on release day, but the last few iOS releases seemed to slow their servers to a crawl.

irnchriz
Jul 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
Running the GM for ML already, got 10.7.4 installed on an external drive so that I can boot into it on ML launch day and buy it then reboot back into ML.

Don't need to download or install but have it licensed for recovery etc in the future.

dempson
Jul 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
QUICK!

That's not the issue. Lion and Snow Leopard already have a 64-bit kext for the ATI Radeon X1000 series.

The 2008 Xserve has 64-bit EFI, is able to run the 64-bit kernel when running Snow Leopard Server or Lion, and has an ATI Radeon X1300 GPU.

That Xserve model is not supported by Mountain Lion. The only explanations which make sense are:

(a) The ATI Radeon X1300 is not good enough for Mountain Lion's minimum GPU requirements (the X1600 may also be insufficient); or

(b) For some reason the ATI Radeon X1000 driver is not able to be updated to support a required feature of Mountain Lion.

benwiggy
Jul 16, 2012, 07:13 AM
Buggy? In my experience 99% of "Lion's problems" are user problems.
I've found and reported eight bugs in Lion which are 100% reproducible on any Mac. Some of them are MAJOR failings in aspects which worked fine in 10.6 and which weren't obviously revised for Lion.
I'm aware of several more where basic functionality is impaired or broken.

These are NOT user problems.

brutusvimes
Jul 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
I've found and reported eight bugs in Lion which are 100% reproducible on any Mac.

Which bugs?

KdParker
Jul 16, 2012, 07:16 AM

So we should all stay on whatever OS you deem appropriate or we are retarded?

iBug2
Jul 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
Which bugs?

One thing that annoyed me since Lion was that window maximising stopped working properly. Cannot maximise any list view windows anymore. I've reported this 2 years ago and was said that it's a known issue, yet still not fixed by ML. Another bug is in Safari 5.1, not a Lion or ML issue, since it effects Safari 5.1 in SL as well, if you open way too many tabs at once which do contain a lot of images, Safari basically stalls and nothing happens with the infinite beachball. You need to terminate the web process to continue. But that happens if I open like 60+ tabs at once.

Also ML has some very minor UI bugs like things where extra lines or boxes filled with color appearing and then disappearing in windows etc, not urgent stuff and may never got fixed even.

garethjs
Jul 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
to the ones asking for iMac/mini revisions... OMG it's only going to be in September. Apple now basically waits for a keynote to advertise a revision. First 15min of the iPhone keynote will talk about revised ivy bridge iMacs with SSDs and all that.

Apple ain't going to just update their website with these many changes in their models.

Anyways the rumours are for a 17th, 19th or 25th July

pwhitehead
Jul 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
Another operating system i wont upgrade to. I purchased lion and wasnt happy with it using final cut pro 7. I'm happy with snow lepard still and wouldnt give it up for the world.

mex4eric
Jul 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
Looking forward to the 25th.

Is someone going to post the steps required to make an OS10.8 CD or stick between the download and the install?

SiPat
Jul 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
If, like me, you use Safari as your default or only browser, and like to set your own fonts, be aware that Mountains Lion's Safari 6.0 has lost the Appearance panel in Safari preferences.

You can't change fonts unless you use a Style Sheet or someone finds the Terminal command to set fonts of your choice.

One thing that annoyed me since Lion was that window maximising stopped working properly. Cannot maximise any list view windows anymore.

I feel your pain -- all my windows are set for List View and even using the old OPT+green button trick will no resolve the issue of losing the bottom-most icon/file.

SteveSwish
Jul 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
is this worth the $20 upgrade if you dont have an iphone? what else is good about it? Im already on Lion.

Schizoid
Jul 16, 2012, 07:40 AM

Is someone going to post the steps required to make an OS10.8 CD or stick between the download and the install?

Same as Lion, just tested it, open the package contents, look for InstallESD.dmg, chuck it on a stick with Disk Utility...

----------

is this worth the $20 upgrade if you dont have an iphone? what else is good about it? Im already on Lion.

yeah, you'll love Safari... it feels, a bit more.... what's the word?.... :p

GermanyChris
Jul 16, 2012, 07:41 AM

It's what lion should have been on it's release.

KPOM
Jul 16, 2012, 07:46 AM

They always release earnings on a Tuesday afternoon. Last year they released earnings on July 19th and announced the availability of Lion and the new MacBook Airs on the 20th.

This year they are releasing earnings on the 24th, prompting speculation that Mountain Lion will be released the next day. Of course this year, they have already released the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines (including the Retina Display model). Perhaps they will refresh the Mini and iMac lines, or perhaps they will just let Mountain Lion have the spotlight.

Rocketman
Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
July 25 predicted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15219273&postcount=77

Donka
Jul 16, 2012, 07:54 AM

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

Major.Robto
Jul 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

man im on 10.8 and its fine, its not a total rewirte. I found nothing wrong to be honest, I found 10.8 much better.

I did have it crash once. but I think it was my fault because I had 3vms going at the same time

Twimfy
Jul 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
I've been using ML since DP1.

Definitely worth the upgrade from day one. Kicks the crap out of Lion.

zemoleman
Jul 16, 2012, 08:05 AM
Has anyone else who has been playing with the ML GM noticed that to "take advantage" of Dictation that you have to allow Apple to access your Contacts? For those who store more than contact info in our Address Books, and given all of Apple's Privacy gaffs in the past couple of years, I find I can't grant and won't recommend to folks to allow Apple this access. Thus Dictation is not going to be part of my ML experience.

Kebabselector
Jul 16, 2012, 08:09 AM
July 25 predicted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15219273&postcount=77

Yes it was, slightly earlier!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15172553&postcount=2

Schizoid
Jul 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
Has anyone else who has been playing with the ML GM noticed that to "take advantage" of Dictation that you have to allow Apple to access your Contacts? For those who store more than contact info in our Address Books, and given all of Apple's Privacy gaffs in the past couple of years, I find I can't grant and won't recommend to folks to allow Apple this access. Thus Dictation is not going to be part of my ML experience.

...well it's supposed to recognise people from your contacts and add their names in... but I'm having trouble getting it do anything meaningful so far!

benwiggy
Jul 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Which bugs?
1. User Quartz Filters are broken in Lion. Any new filters created in ColorSync Utility do not work. I'd say that's pretty major failure of an existing bit of technology.

2. Several .plist attributes are not actually saved to the relevant plist file. e.g. PVImagePrintingScaleMode. You can set this value with defaults write; you can confirm it with defaults read. But defaults delete flags an error and the key isn't in the xml of the plist file you put it in.

3. If you have Preview set to open each file in a new document, you cannot select files to be printed directly from the Finder (e.g. select file, press <Command> P.) Error message is produced.

Lots of similar issues that are just sloppy and careless. Menu items not working under certain circumstances; things not behaving as expected; things not conforming to Apple's own interface guidelines.

There's also the intermittent wireless dropping bug, which loads of people report. Seems to have something to do with the Firewall.

doelcm82
Jul 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
My contacts are already "in the cloud", so that they stay synced between my notebook, iPad, and iPhone. This won't be a barrier for me.

edgonzalez32
Jul 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure why people are complaining about upgrading. I have a MacBook pro from 2007 and when I installed lion on it, it made it feel so new. Everything ran better. Creative suite ran to fit my needs. I considered almost getting a new laptop but when I installed lion, that saved me about 2,100.

Johnf1285
Jul 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
to the ones asking for iMac/mini revisions... OMG it's only going to be in September. Apple now basically waits for a keynote to advertise a revision. First 15min of the iPhone keynote will talk about revised ivy bridge iMacs with SSDs and all that.

Apple ain't going to just update their website with these many changes in their models.

Anyways the rumours are for a 17th, 19th or 25th July

It's happened a few times in which a model is refreshed but has no announcement or keynote. Just looking at last year alone - the early 2011 Macbook Pros, 2011 iMac, 2011 Macbook Airs, and 2011 Mac Mini - all received their 2011 hardware bumps without much fanfare outside of the Apple Store website being updated.

baruch
Jul 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
I'm curious. From what I have seen of Mountain Lion it is more like iOS than like Mac OS. That doesn't interest me. My curiosity, are there others who also feel this way or is the whole Mac world happily anticipating this "upgrade?"

TimTheEnchanter
Jul 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure why people are complaining about upgrading. I have a MacBook pro from 2007 and when I installed lion on it, it made it feel so new. Everything ran better. Creative suite ran to fit my needs. I considered almost getting a new laptop but when I installed lion, that saved me about 2,100.

Finally ordered more ram and SSD for my mid-2009 MBP to give it a new lease on life, but I'll be waiting a while before upgrading to ML after the dust settles.

cvaldes
Jul 16, 2012, 08:49 AM

Here are some instructions posted back in February.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

I found it using an obscure site called "Google", don't know if you are familiar with that one.

Anyhow, enjoy.

BornAgainMac
Jul 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
Downloading ML the second it is available.

Thunderhawks
Jul 16, 2012, 09:00 AM

I found it using an obscure site called "Google", don't know if you are familiar with that one.

Anyhow, enjoy.

It is always amazing how people post questions anywhere pretending they can't google. (or lazy comes to mind)

So far out of say 50 tasks I needed info for I have always found an answer that helped.

Even MacForum posts are listed depending on the topic.

Winter Charm
Was hoping the 17th Tuesday that long whaaat waaah waahh lol :(

I'd rather they hammer out any and all imperfections. Lion was great, but my experience was ruined because of minor bugs...

Especially the launchpad icons "ghosting" around. :(

And the Mail Client that takes *forever* to close, and usually seems to cancel shutdown sequences, etc.

I've actually decided I wont use a simple "upgrade" command, and I'll just do a wipe, and then a clean install, and move my files back in place. :)

iMacFarlane
The reasoning comes from reports that Apple Retail stores will be performing overnight updates to stores on July 24th. Those updates could include the posting of marketing information and OS installations of OS X Mountain Lion to store computers.

Or . . . those updates could include the posting of marketing information and the unboxing and setup of new iMacs with Mountain Lion already on them. :)

balconycollapse
Jul 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
Put GM on 2011 iMac last night. It's certainly a subtle upgrade. The notifications aren't earth shattering, iMessage working better then beta is welcome, and it's kind of nice for Reminders and Notes to have dedicated apps. Dictation was spotty but supposedly learns and improves over time. Better then Lion? Yes. A massive overhaul worthy of fanfare? Not so much. I'm glad it's priced reasonably for what it is -- a tweak.

irun5k
Jul 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
I've seen a few walkthoughs of the new features.

However, I have Lion on one machine and Snow Leopard on the rest. Lion is the first version of OS X that I have ever complained about or considered unusable for my day job.

I am wondering if any of the "new features" in Lion that got mixed reviews have been given additional treatment (e.g. prefs to disable.) For example, the fact that when you reboot to "start over" because you had too many apps open, some apps were hung, etc. you have to wait while the system painfully reopens EVERY SINGLE APP. Also, some apps do not have a "Save As" feature, instead you are forced to try to understand some odd new way that the apps work, e.g. internal versions, export vs. save as, etc. There is more but you get the flavor of the concerns. I'd love to know whether Mountain Lion addresses any of these...

the8thark
Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Pay the tax on your credit card, after you use your Gift Card it will ask you for a payment of $00.99

Come on McFly, think..........

Ah "after you use your gift card".
That's exactly what I meant. So we are in agreement.

And Marty was smart enough to know a Doc who invented time travel. SO not so dumb after all.

Allenbf
Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
Really hope they announce something about the iMac updates soon. I'd like to purchase one by the end of August, but I sure don't want to buy it too soon and miss out on some/any upgrades.

This'll be my first Mac computer :-)

HVDynamo
Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
QUICK!

You and me are in the same boat here. As much as I am not a fan of apples direction lately, The fact that my perfectly fine (and still quite snappy) 2006 macbook pro won't get the new OS (when I know it would run just fine on it) is starting to make me consider moving away from apple again. The whole obsoleting hardware via software thing makes more sense on the iPhone, because it's still relatively new and the hardware performance is scaling fast every year. In this case, adding the new features does push the boundaries of relatively young hardware. But in the computer world, processors have been pretty fast (arguably fast enough) for most users once Dual Core processors started becoming the norm. The performance is still scaling, but much slower than it used to. My 2006 macbook pro still runs great and does everything I want my mac to do, I don't want to be forced into upgrading the hardware just because apple decided to not write some video drivers. Seriously... It's one thing to do this with phones, but when I spend $2000+ on a laptop, I expect to be able to run new OS's on it until the hardware literally can't handle it. I am also not so much a fan of the faster OS release cycle.

Donka
Jul 16, 2012, 09:18 AM

Anyhow, enjoy.

Or just look a few posts higher.... ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15257488&postcount=139

HVDynamo
Jul 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Didn't the 2006 MacBook Pros only have 32-Bit Core Duo CPUs? I know that later 2006 iMac models were upgraded to 64-Bit Core 2 Duo processors, but I don't recall if there were also re-configured MacBook Pros in that year - it's too long ago. If you only have a machine with a 32-Bit Core Duo processor, you can't install ML on that machine anyway.

If I were you, I'd probably put Windows 8 or a Linux flavor on that machine instead of wasting my time on an unreliable Mountain Lion hack.

They released Core 2 Duo versions in late 2006, I have the 17" version of it.

phillipduran
Jul 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Where did the down vote option go?

To see that a post is unpopular you now need to look over all pages of the thread to kind of determine what the average upvote is and see if a certain post falls below that. Plus, real stupid posts might get people to log in and cast a vote but now they cant so it still doesn't reflect on the post..

Strange change.

cvaldes
Jul 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
It is always amazing how people post questions anywhere pretending they can't google. (or lazy comes to mind)
Amazing? Yes. Surprising? Sadly, no.

Then again, I've been on the World Wide Web since 1993. There's a lot more mindless behavior on the Internet than thoughtful reflection and careful research.

The typical person doesn't seem to care if he/she comes off like a blathering idiot. Go visit Yahoo Answers. One of the most amazing displays of typical Internet behavior.

Mac21ND
Jul 16, 2012, 09:28 AM

To see that a post is unpopular you now need to look over all pages of the thread to kind of determine what the average upvote is and see if a certain post falls below that. Plus, real stupid posts might get people to log in and cast a vote but now they cant so it still doesn't reflect on the post..

Strange change.

Yeah, interesting... maybe it's just a glitch.

cvaldes
Jul 16, 2012, 09:29 AM

Gone, just like investigative journalism.

Of course, the latter has been gone much longer. Since the Nineties actually. Oh well.

cmChimera
Jul 16, 2012, 09:31 AM

Why do people uprank this trash?

wgnoyes
Jul 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
A Wednesday? That seems a little odd to me... what day do they normally release new OS versions on? ....
Lion came out on July 20, 2011, which was a wednesday.

JDBarndt
Jul 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Good time to finally upgrade my MBP to a 512GB SSD.

Schizoid
Jul 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Gone, just like investigative journalism.

Of course, the latter has been gone much longer. Since the Nineties actually. Oh well.

maybe they can find the answer via Google™ ;)

Aidan5806
Jul 16, 2012, 09:38 AM

if you have this big of a problem with apple then why do you have a Mac?

garethjs
Jul 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
It's happened a few times in which a model is refreshed but has no announcement or keynote. Just looking at last year alone - the early 2011 Macbook Pros, 2011 iMac, 2011 Macbook Airs, and 2011 Mac Mini - all received their 2011 hardware bumps without much fanfare outside of the Apple Store website being updated.

Forget last year, this year apple is doing things differently. U mention MacBook pros as a first example. This year we had a keynote that focused on the updates. With that alone I'm going to say significant updates to iMac range that will start off the next keynote.

benwiggy
Jul 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
The fact that my perfectly fine (and still quite snappy) 2006 macbook pro won't get the new OS (when I know it would run just fine on it) is starting to make me consider moving away from apple again. [....] processors have been pretty fast (arguably fast enough) for most users once Dual Core processors started becoming the norm. The performance is still scaling, but much slower than it used to. My 2006 macbook pro still runs great and does everything I want my mac to do, I don't want to be forced into upgrading the hardware just because apple decided to not write some video drivers.
I have a 2006 C2D iMac, which also won't take Mountain Lion. To be honest, it is getting a bit slow for the tasks I do -- but you're right that it will still do most things reasonably well, like surfing, watching videos, typing up email or Word docs. It even runs Creative Suite, at a push.
So ... why the need for 10.8? Your hardware will keep running Lion as long as the hardware holds together. No one is forcing you to upgrade.

As for whether "you know" that your Mac will cope with ML -- well, who knows? It may be that there is a valid technical reason relating to the graphics cards in those machines. As far as I know, Apple hasn't actually explained the rationale for their decision: it is sites like this that have drawn their own conclusions.

MacRS4
Jul 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
I really do hope there's a better release than the current GM. There's loads of problems with it on both my late 2011 MBP, and my 2011 iMac. Both fresh installs as well.

Mostly graphics, some stability issues too.

It's not as snappy as Lion either :confused:

AidenShaw
Jul 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm running the GM so I'll probably wait until a week or two after ML is officially launched to get OSX 10.8.0... no point in waiting for an 8 hour download when it could take just 30 minutes a week later.

Apple uses Akamai, so most people will download a copy from a cache server at a nearby ISP. Few people will get it from any Apple-owned server. (And even fewer if Apple is able to push copies out to the cache servers before release.)

The order processing servers may get hammered, though.

dyn
Jul 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
Lion was released on a Wednesday as well. Wednesday the 20th. I figured it'll probably be the 25th, the day after the Q3 conference if they repeat what they did last year.
Not quite. Last year they didn't have something called "The Olympic Games". They have this year and it starts 27-7-2012..2 days later which means that they get 2 days at the utmost of exposure for Mountain Lion because after that the entire world is aimed at the Olympics. If you want everybody to adopt ML and therefore also dropped its price then it is less likely that it'll be released on 25-7-2012. 19 or 20-7-2012 is more likely in this scenario. On the other hand...most people will buy it anyway, price is very low. The rumour isn't as strong as it was last year.

BigTroll
Jul 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
damn less then 2 weeks ago i finally upgrade from snow leopard to lion on my mid 2007 black macbook, I figuered it wouldn't be supported in ML however Iam now really hooked on messages beta, Iam hoping apple doesn't close messages beta for lion users or better yet maybe they will add it as a feature later on, but I doubt it. btw this old black macbook seems to run lion faster then some newer macs as it has a intel ssd in it.

JHankwitz
Jul 16, 2012, 10:30 AM

Those that don't evolve with the rest of the world get left behind.

So, what option are you eventually going to take? Moving to Windows 8? Good luck! In a few years you're going to have to switch back to reading hardcopy books and newspapers, and sending letters via snail-mail since nothing will run on your old hardware.

GermanyChris
Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
Those that don't evolve with the rest of the world get left behind.

So, what option are you eventually going to take? Moving to Windows 8? Good luck! In a few years you're going to have to switch back to reading hardcopy books and newspapers, and sending letters via snail-mail since nothing will run on your old hardware.

I still use 10.4 and 10.5 daily.

milo
Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 AM

---

Benchmarks are about the same but the interface feels much much faster on ML. Not sure if there are ways to quantify that.

Logic has been fine for me on both Lion and ML so far. Seems like maybe Logic is more finicky on the newer OS, seems like some people have problems while others are fine.

Apple has a major design flaw in Gatekeeper - you CANNOT leave it turned on and simply add exception for that one application that does not run when Gatekeeper is turned on. It's either all or nothing.

But that's not a problem, if you need an exception just right click the app to open it the first time.

there's no big difference between SL, Lion and ML in responsiveness.

Not the case here, Lion is much less responsive than SL on the same hardware.

faroZ06
Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM

I'm retarded and proud, computer-redneck. :D

I tried the "golden master" version of Mountain Lion. It's actually better than I expected, and I expected it to be slightly better than Lion. The Notification Center is such a great replacement for Growl, which has broken at this point for me. Messages is just iChat but slightly better. The Dock looks way better.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 AM
The order processing servers may get hammered, though.

Would dev downloads of the ML beta have gone through this? Will dev downloads of the release version of ML go through this, too? (My understanding is that devs get the release versions for free... IDK, I only signed up for the Mac dev program in January of this year.)

Navdakilla
Jul 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
Bring this on. I will download day one.. Just like Lion.

iBug2
Jul 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
Not the case here, Lion is much less responsive than SL on the same hardware.

Not on my hardware which is two different machines from 2008 and 2009. Although SL is much less responsive than Leopard in this hardware.

ghostlines
Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

Did u do clean install? I think any new OS install will feel faster because of this. Also are u using an SSD? I would like to see a website do a benchmark comparison of 2 clean installs of OS X 10.7 & 10.8.

iBug2
Jul 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Did u do clean install? I think any new OS install will feel faster because of this. Also are u using an SSD? I would like to see a website do a benchmark comparison of 2 clean installs of OS X 10.7 & 10.8.

I don't think there's actually a benchmark which can measure the responsiveness of two different OS's. Benchmarks usually measure hardware.

MoveAhead
Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 AM

Seems like you're just slow in general.

brbrown1988
Jul 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/92046537/clint-eastwood-snarls.gif
Where is my friggin' iMac!

Ironduke
Jul 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Not much of an upgrade

RobertMartens
Jul 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
I could care less about ...

You know it is "I couldn't care less"
I know you know

zorinlynx
Jul 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'll probably do what I did for Lion and wait until .2

I don't have anything against Mountain Lion other than that it will probably have bugs because it's a new OS release.

RobertMartens
Jul 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Another operating system i wont upgrade to. I purchased lion and wasnt happy with it using final cut pro 7. I'm happy with snow lepard still and wouldnt give it up for the world.

Final Cut Pro X rocks.

I even taught 5th graders how to use it.

Final Cut Pro 7 scared the 11th graders away

Like they say, "once you go X, you never go back."

OK so no one says that, but it's true.

----------

I don't have anything against Mountain Lion other than that it will probably have bugs because it's a new OS release.

But don't wait to .3 because .3 traditionally introduces new bugs/features that don't get addressed until .7

lkrupp
Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 PM

Since the day the Macintosh saw the light of day we have been reading posts like yours and, quite frankly, it's getting boring.

SpyderBite
Jul 16, 2012, 12:32 PM

Why not wait until .2.5.9?

Operating Systems always have bugs.. otherwise there'd never be patches. If you're always waiting for the newest update you'll always own the oldest version.

madmin
Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
I only started using Lion late in the day because of all the bad press it was getting and I moved on to developer previews of ML soon after. Virtually all the problems I experienced in Snow Leopard have been dealt with, well done Apple.

Both upgrade and clean installs worked fine. It's been noticeably quicker. Apparently they've done a lot of work on the low-level APIs and memory management which make it faster (according to the WWDC sessions).

While I'm very positive about this release, I do have complaints mostly concerning the Server side. Under the hood many things have changed since Snow Leopard and there's very little documentation or vision going forward. For example concerning the change from MIT to Heimdal Kerberos or from ServerAdmin Tools and WGM to Profile Manager.

While I'm more than happy to use Terminal to configure and manage servers and can accept the need to buy expensive books every year from Apple-insider gurus, I feel that if Apple need to keep moving the goalposts like this then they should be putting much more effort into keeping their documentation bang up to date and generally helping administrators manage these major changes to the underlying system.

When you include the demise of the xserve and the lack of MP upgrades it's easy to understand why many admins (and pros in general) are becoming disillusioned with Apple and moving away. It's a shame because OSX is very close to being an excellent system for profession use, as well as being a major consumer product.

I've seen various 'world's most advanced operating systems' come and go in my time, there's nothing to say Apple wont suffer the same. Come on guys, with all that money you can and should do much better !

Yetihunter
Jul 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe new iMacs and "Mac cheaps" with ML, synergized, for television adverts during the Olympic Opening Ceremonies? One can only dream.

And while i'm at it, the iMacs will have easy hard drive access. :)

Still confused, with $1800 refurbs, how I'm supposed to rationalize the new Meh Pro. Lot's of small businesses out there expect to replace their computers every two years. Harkens back to the days when PC's actually became out of date that fast. Also back to the 90's when everyone bought Compaqs that broke in a week. :(

Oh. and yes, FCPX is a pleasure in most respects.

Jacaranda
Jul 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have repeatedly asked Apple when will new supplies of MBP retina have the new OS in situ rather than Lion and update ourselves. I have even asked what happened when Lion was launched, but they seem to have no clue! I want to buy ASAP a MBP with Mountain Lion as the native OS.
Any clues?

pdjudd
Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
Any clues?
At the bare minimum it won't be until there is a formal release date that has been announced. One has not been announced yet so nobody is going to be able to tell you anything. Its going to be based on release date and supply turnaround

pubwvj
Jul 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
I wish Apple would focus more on fixing the MacOS than on adding new features and dropping old stuff we need for our work. I still need Rosetta and Classic. Schools and homeschoolers need the vast amount of software available in those arenas. The hardware is plenty powerful enough to handle the emulation, even an iPodTouch can do it. But instead of maintaining forward compatibility Apple keeps abandoning technology left and right while they introduce new buggy upgrades.

JBunkers
Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 PM

Let's see, you used an unlicensed, pirated copy of Lion that you downloaded from unknown origins, and a beta version of Mountain Lion and you found them to be buggy? Oh my goodness, what is this world coming to?!! How could Apple do this to you?! :rolleyes:

Seriously man, think about that for a moment. You may have to think about it for several moments, I don't know.

However, as long as YOU have a legitimate Apple ID, and OS X 10.6.8 or higher, you should be able to purchase and download a full copy of ML from the Mac App Store (they don't offer it as an "upgrade" per se, there's just one version, "full"). With Lion there are ways you can copy the install files to a flash drive to do a totally clean install with, so the same should hold true for ML. Do a Google search for the instructions.

If you're seriously concerned about bugs (which is hard to believe since you're using a pirated OS), then wait until they release 10.8.1 before you upgrade. That should take care of most of the major early problems and you'll probably find it much more stable than your beta copy.

And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the Mac App Store agreement that there are no refunds, all sales are final.

HVDynamo
Jul 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have a 2006 C2D iMac, which also won't take Mountain Lion. To be honest, it is getting a bit slow for the tasks I do -- but you're right that it will still do most things reasonably well, like surfing, watching videos, typing up email or Word docs. It even runs Creative Suite, at a push.
So ... why the need for 10.8? Your hardware will keep running Lion as long as the hardware holds together. No one is forcing you to upgrade.

As for whether "you know" that your Mac will cope with ML -- well, who knows? It may be that there is a valid technical reason relating to the graphics cards in those machines. As far as I know, Apple hasn't actually explained the rationale for their decision: it is sites like this that have drawn their own conclusions.

Honestly, I am still running Snow Leopard, and have been waiting for Mountain Lion with hope that Mountain Lion will do for Lion what Snow Leopard did for Leopard. I realize that I can run Lion and get support for a while yet, but what I don't like is the fact that they are introducing features that I could use with my other apple products (iPhone and apple TV) that should work without too much trouble on my laptop, but yet they won't bring them to Lion or Snow Leopard. They are using software in many ways to obsolete perfectly functional hardware. Yes, your iMac, or my MacBook Pro aren't going to be as fast as a brand new one, but they will still perform all the functions, albeit a little slower. The only things that take a long time are video encoding on mine, and I just do that on my Windows desktop with a quad core anyhow.

umbilical
Jul 16, 2012, 01:56 PM

how? I want a clean! install

Jedi
Jul 16, 2012, 02:10 PM

+1...

Same boat :eek:

I want to also do a clean ( custom install ) , so is all you have to do is download and put the pkg. on a USB Drive and then what ?

Or do you goto disc utility and make it a bootable drive ?

If not then how will you have the option to get to DU before install ?

All I know is that to do a real clean install you need to have something bootable .

Right ?

If wrong then help :D

Thanks ,

O____BTW:

I`m thinking about getting a new Macbook Pro and every time I get a new Mac I always like to do a custom install , so without any software that used to come with new Mac`s how can I reinstall iLife ( custom all I use are iPhoto and GB ) in my new MBP [ if purchased ] :confused:

TY

Me 

xgman
Jul 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

I think you can install from the dmg to any drive. By the way, I installed as a Lion upgrade and it was more like a software update. Zero problems and saved me tons of time. M<L is not such a drastic update as in the past.

----------

I have repeatedly asked Apple when will new supplies of MBP retina have the new OS in situ rather than Lion and update ourselves. I have even asked what happened when Lion was launched, but they seem to have no clue! I want to buy ASAP a MBP with Mountain Lion as the native OS.
Any clues?

I'm guessing only the ones that ship after the release date.

dbam987
Jul 16, 2012, 02:56 PM

Thats certainly good news. I have an MBP-13" (circa Mid-2010) and it runs Lion reasonably well. Was going to sell it for a new MBP 15" (Classic) but will wait it out to see how much of a boost it provides now, and see if I can stretch another year or two usage out of it.

Anyone launch VMWare Fusion 4 on Mountain Lion? Info on this is pretty scarce at the moment. I assume it will be on par with what I'm seeing with 10.7 now, but any improvements would be welcome.

Major.Robto
Jul 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thats certainly good news. I have an MBP-13" (circa Mid-2010) and it runs Lion reasonably well. Was going to sell it for a new MBP 15" (Classic) but will wait it out to see how much of a boost it provides now, and see if I can stretch another year or two usage out of it.

Anyone launch VMWare Fusion 4 on Mountain Lion? Info on this is pretty scarce at the moment. I assume it will be on par with what I'm seeing with 10.7 now, but any improvements would be welcome.

does not work no parallels virtual software .

Virualbox is the only working windows emulator. its iffy at times and does not like linux vms and tends to crash.

IT can take vms from paraless and vm. Was disapointed to be honest. Will vm 5 will be soon now.
I used xp a crap ton in virtual box for two days and its alright, if you dont mind going opensourced route

lostngone
Jul 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
What???

If you say so.... :p

Personally, I have Steve Jobs and an Apple tattooed on the back of my head.

WardC
Jul 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
This cat would look much better if she was smiling...she looks too serious, and too sad...like "Why did Apple steal all my kittens??"

Razeus
Jul 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
This cat would look much better if she was smiling...she looks too serious, and too sad...like "Why did Apple steal all my kittens??"

Or why is this update bringing only iOS apps to the Mac? :confused:

Jacaranda
Jul 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Many thanks, does anyone know how long it was last year with lion before lion was the os on new macs. Ie when is the os added to a new computer? Presumably as the last thing once constructed. So if ml is 25th and man date is 28th then ml would be used?

JAT
Jul 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Why not wait until .2.5.9?

Operating Systems always have bugs.. otherwise there'd never be patches. If you're always waiting for the newest update you'll always own the oldest version.
Waiting for 10.x.1 or .2 isn't "waiting for the newest update", it is waiting to avoid the first round of bugs. And often for 3rd party developers to catch up. Always a good idea.

lovemyapple
Jul 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
I want it now!

WardC
Jul 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
Again, I cannot get over this pathetic photo of a depressed-looking female Mountain Lion....

bretm
Jul 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Why would you put peas in an iPod? Disgusting! :p

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that; as much as I love Lion, it seemed a bit... lethargic from the beginning. I'm hoping Mountain Lion is to Lion as Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

I don't get it. I run Lion in 32bit on 2006 MacPro and 2011 i7 iMac and it runs pretty much the same. I'm running FCP 7/X on both. No problem. Perhaps youre using 4gigs of RAM? I run 16gigs on both. On our 2006 MacBook Pro its a little lethargic, but it only has 3gigs. Still, runs acceptably. Perhaps you updated from SL? OS needs to be a clean install. Download it, burn a DVD or USB and boot from that disc image and install. Backup everything obviously first before you delete your drive.

twoodcc
Jul 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
looking forward to it

BTW
Jul 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
Nice! Looking forward to the new features and security enhancements. I would be nice if Apple supported my 5 year old system as I willing to pay to update it.

After Mountain Lion 10.9 should be called White Lion - or the end of the line of OSX. :cool:

nick1980webb
Jul 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
i installed the Golden Master of mountain lion and logic pro 9 GUI is glitchy and slow to respond there must be some actions going on in the background ? so i think ill downgrade

aquadisiac
Jul 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
Again, I cannot get over this pathetic photo of a depressed-looking female Mountain Lion....

A Dingo must have eaten her babies. :(

musicdude2013
Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Hopefully lions perform better in the mountains.

milo
Jul 17, 2012, 07:58 AM
Not on my hardware which is two different machines from 2008 and 2009. Although SL is much less responsive than Leopard in this hardware.

If that's the case, sounds like there's something wrong with your SL install. It's possible that it's not an improvement for anyone but many testers have reported that Lion was less responsive and ML has brought it back closer to SL.

I don't think there's actually a benchmark which can measure the responsiveness of two different OS's. Benchmarks usually measure hardware.

No, benchmarks measure system performance which is a combination of hardware and software. If they only measured hardware, benchmarks would be identical over different OS versions which isn't the case at all.

palmharbor
Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
I

I am praying they fix all the apps they ruined in Lion...Like Apple Mail, Address Book etc. I don't need to do more messaging, upload more photos to my iPhone or Facebook page.
apple needs to focus on the basics of every computer system WHICH THEY HAVE FAILED TO DO. copy and paste has not changed since OS7 in the 1990's, Zapping the pram should be a SIMPLE keyboard command.It has not changed since OS 8. The tiny fonts need to be changed.
I fear they have hired the design team from WINDOWS 95 to work on Mac.:mad:

pondosinatra
Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
There was nothing in Lion that interested me, even less so in Mountain Lion which frankly looks like the same release with bug fixes.

Windows 8 also looks like a mess (a rare case where MS shouldn't have copied Apple) so that doesn't leave me much choice. Guess I'll go to one of the various Linux distros.

joelovesapple
Jul 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
There was nothing in Lion that interested me, even less so in Snow Lion which frankly looks like the same release with bug fixes.

Windows 8 also looks like a mess (a rare case where MS shouldn't have copied Apple) so that doesn't leave me much choice. Guess I'll go to one of the various Linux distros.

Snow Lion?

Surely you mean MOUNTAIN LION? :confused:

pondosinatra
Jul 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
Snow Lion?

Surely you mean MOUNTAIN LION? :confused:

Snow Lion will be the next release coming out ;)

joelovesapple
Jul 17, 2012, 10:48 AM

Haha, well I think they'll either go to a different animal or a completely new OS altogether... XI?

SpyderBite
Jul 17, 2012, 11:04 AM

I'm sure we'll see debates about that imaginary OS begin to commence on July 26th. :D

xgman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
i installed the Golden Master of mountain lion and logic pro 9 GUI is glitchy and slow to respond there must be some actions going on in the background ? so i think ill downgrade

no such problem here.

RavenousLife
Jul 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
interesting, because I went into the Apple Store today to buy a new Western Digital external and they don't have any hard drive replenishment stock coming in until July 25th at any of the 3 stores in my area.

dbam987
Jul 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Apples store front on the web appears to be down. Mountain lions to blame?

mwhities
Jul 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
Apples store front on the web appears to be down. Mountain lions to blame?

I kinda hope so and I kinda not hope so. Granted, I'll be up for awhile dealing with backups but, I don't want to be up all night installing MLServer. :) I guess I can buy it, start the download then go to bed.

JacobMarley
Jul 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
It is too obvious that the new operating system has been targeted to bring more revenue to company's loss on overestimated macbook pro retina display laptops sale. They have already lost millions of dollars. The new operating system wont bring any innovation unless you count some simple add-on features. I dont think Apple has paced a long way with their operating system advancement since 2009. After Jobs had died company has been crippling with innovation .

Vip
Jul 18, 2012, 02:21 AM
It would seem the UK online store is down...

xdunlapx
Jul 18, 2012, 02:34 AM
The store is still down. It's 3:32 AM Eastern Time right now. Interesting. Does the apple store go down for maintenance on Wednesday mornings? Is that typical? I can understand on the weekend but in the middle of the week? LOL Sounds like today is the day for ML! Oh man I can't wait till I have the money in my hand to go buy my R-MBP! Well, order it online I mean since I'm getting the upgraded RAM. S-W-E-E-T! *giggle*:apple:

dontwalkhand
Jul 18, 2012, 02:38 AM

Is this a bad thing?
Most of us just buy it with an attached Credit/Debit card. No worries about unused portions.

iBug2
Jul 18, 2012, 04:18 AM
No, benchmarks measure system performance which is a combination of hardware and software. If they only measured hardware, benchmarks would be identical over different OS versions which isn't the case at all.

It is pretty much the case. Other than Cinebench, which may depend on the GPU drivers, but is a very bad benchmark to test GPU drivers, Geekbench pretty much gives the exact same result under all different OS's a machine supports. A difference of 100'ish doesn't mean anything, since it can happen between two runs of Geekbench under the same hardware. Hell I had times when I got 350 difference in two different Geekbench runs.

The only "benchmarks" which can make a difference from OS to OS are always related to GPU drivers, like games etc, quartz extreme etc.

milo
Jul 18, 2012, 08:08 AM
Geekbench pretty much gives the exact same result under all different OS's a machine supports.

Maybe that's what you've seen but that's not always the case. In general, OS updates don't make a huge difference in benchmark performance. But that doesn't mean that they can't make a difference, and when there is a difference the benchmark will measure the difference in OS performance, not just hardware performance.

JHankwitz
Jul 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
I still use 10.4 and 10.5 daily.

10.4 and 10.5 aren't that old. Heck, I still have a functional Apple IIc, but I don't use it because it's so outdated.

GermanyChris
Jul 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
10.4 and 10.5 aren't that old. Heck, I still have a functional Apple IIc, but I don't use it because it's so outdated.

Thats my opinion..

iBug2
Jul 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
Maybe that's what you've seen but that's not always the case. In general, OS updates don't make a huge difference in benchmark performance. But that doesn't mean that they can't make a difference, and when there is a difference the benchmark will measure the difference in OS performance, not just hardware performance.

The difference you see is not the OS difference. It's just random difference from running Geekbench more times than once. Just use Geekbench on the same OS multiple times and the results are never the same. And that's pretty much what you see when you run it on different OS's. You may run it 20 times on the one OS and 20 times on the other and compare the average results, but even then the difference will be abysmal. And that's not what people are asking here. To measure the responsiveness of a new OS you just have to use it. Geekbench doesn't measure such thing. Even if the Geekbench results are exactly the same under different OS's, one of them might feel a lot more sluggish and laggy compared to the other.

milo
Jul 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
The difference you see is not the OS difference. It's just random difference from running Geekbench more times than once.

Wrong. I'm not talking about minor differences, I'm talking about significant ones and ones that consistently show one OS version outperforming another over many runs of GB.

One of the betas of 10.8 cut performance in half compared to the versions before and after it. That proves that benchmarks depend on OS performance...or do you think that everyone running that beta had their hardware just magically get slower all at the same time?

AidenShaw
Jul 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
One of the betas of 10.8 cut performance in half compared to the versions before and after it. That proves that benchmarks depend on OS performance...or do you think that everyone running that beta had their hardware just magically get slower all at the same time?

Beta systems are often slower than the GM, because the betas will usually have debugging and consistency checking code running that the GM does not.

If one beta was noticeably slower, it might have had debugging code running in some critical code path.

See checked build (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff543450(v=vs.85).aspx) for one example.

milo
Jul 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Beta systems are often slower than the GM, because the betas will usually have debugging and consistency checking code running that the GM does not.

That's all true.

My point is that I'm disputing the claim that benchmarks only measure hardware and OS never has any effect on benchmark results. While recent released versions of OSX have been fairly consistent, it's certainly possible for OS to make a difference.

nick1980webb
Jul 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
ML in 32bit modes runs apps better in 64bit mode...

Guomaobaobao
Jul 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Will this vision be the superior than lion? Look forward to it.

iBug2
Jul 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
That's all true.

My point is that I'm disputing the claim that benchmarks only measure hardware and OS never has any effect on benchmark results. While recent released versions of OSX have been fairly consistent, it's certainly possible for OS to make a difference.

Certainly the OS makes a difference. I'm just saying there's not a benchmark that actually measures the differences of OS's. I don't think OS X's have been consistent in responsiveness. But their Geekbench results are more or less the same. So Geekbench really doesn't measure the stuff we want to know about when we discuss about differences between OS's. And I don't know any benchmark that actually does. Using the OS pretty much tells you if it's more or less responsive than the older one.

Digital Dude
Jul 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well, I certainly hope they do a better job than they did with the initial Lion which was an absolute train wreck on my MacPro. Until they finally admitted to me the App Store download was a bit 'touchy' with some configured machines.

I've been using the Mac since 1984 and Lion has been the least stable OS upgrade I can remember. Hopefully, this one will actually work smoothly via the download.:cool:

milo
Jul 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
I'm just saying there's not a benchmark that actually measures the differences of OS's.

So Geekbench really doesn't measure the stuff we want to know about when we discuss about differences between OS's.

So which is it, GB doesn't measure the difference between OS versions, or it does measure the difference...but you're dismissing that because it's somehow not "the stuff we want to know about"?

For the record GB does actually measure the differences and most other benchmarks will too, just because you haven't seen much of a difference in results doesn't prove otherwise.

G51989
Jul 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
Well, I certainly hope they do a better job than they did with the initial Lion which was an absolute train wreck on my MacPro. Until they finally admitted to me the App Store download was a bit 'touchy' with some configured machines.

I've been using the Mac since 1984 and Lion has been the least stable OS upgrade I can remember. Hopefully, this one will actually work smoothly via the download.:cool:

You missed OS 9? That was as much of a train wreck as windows ME

xizar
Jul 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
Most of us just buy it with an attached Credit/Debit card. No worries about unused portions.

I use PayPal. ;)

Jasoco
Jul 21, 2012, 02:13 AM
I wish you could pre-order it on the App Store and have it download itself for you in the background while you're at work or sleeping or whatever. Since there's never any set date anymore, they could let you pre-order it, have it download when it is available, then alert you when it has appeared in your Applications folder. It would be brilliant. Maybe for 10.9.

SpyderBite
Jul 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
If there was an announced date, and then there was a delay for unforseeable reasons; people who took days off from work like it was a new WoW expansion would be kicking and screaming about it until OS X Soft Kitty 10.10.

BLOND37
Jul 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
whats the word on the street with a release date for ML? the 25th??

will apple says in its whatever call on tuesday when it will come out?

i am getting tired of holding on to this $20 LOL...

j800r
Jul 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
I wish you could pre-order it on the App Store and have it download itself for you in the background while you're at work or sleeping or whatever. Since there's never any set date anymore, they could let you pre-order it, have it download when it is available, then alert you when it has appeared in your Applications folder. It would be brilliant. Maybe for 10.9.

Nah, I want the excitement of clicking the purchase/download button on the day of launch. Besides, I think we can all agree it's gonna be released this week regardless. I'll be checking the app store daily. :p

ixodes
Jul 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
Will this vision be the superior than lion? Look forward to it.
There's a subset of Developers & Testers than believe Apple is purposely releasing ML as fast as possible, to get Lion behind them. I've heard good things about ML from those I trust. Conversely it's these same people that didn't have many positive comments on Lion.

Therefore from my vantage point I'm very encouraged. I used Lion on just one of my MBA's that came with it. Yet I kept my other Macs & my network all centered on SL 10.6.8. It's been faster, smoother, and 100% reliable. Therefore I had no reason to change just because Lion was available.

Going forward I'm going to sit back & see what the reports on ML are like from real world users, before I make any moves.

Jedi
Jul 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Sorry , but I don`t feel like reading the entire thread.

Will there be a USB Flash Drive for ML ?

Any info is appreciated. :)

Later :D

G. 

Major.Robto
Jul 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry , but I don`t feel like reading the entire thread.

Will there be a USB Flash Drive for ML ?

Any info is appreciated. :)

Later :D

G. 

There has been no word as of yet, but if apple does not do this alot of people will be pissed once again.

Dunkaccino
Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
A new OSX released on my 21st birthday?

Hellz yeah!:)

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

iRCL
Jul 23, 2012, 01:50 PM

Re: speed and feeling lightweight: This may be perception. "Safari feels snappier!"
Re: 'assure you that there are many more changes and ..': Can you enumerate any changes that are under the hood? The OSX page isn't really mentioning them
Re: 'Don't expect any major overhauls..': Why not? 'Point' i.e. 10.4 releases have incorporated Core Animation, Core Image, Core Data, etc.

I'm going to get ML on day one, and I haven't run the beta but considered it, but please refrain from making comments that have basically no basis in reality. If the downvote button had returned (will people quit asking for that to happen!) I would have downvoted your post for being deceiving and to counterbalance the people high fiving you with upvotes just because they are hyped for ML and you shot down naysayers

CarlHeanerd
Jul 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
Re: speed and feeling lightweight: This may be perception. "Safari feels snappier!"
Re: 'assure you that there are many more changes and ..': Can you enumerate any changes that are under the hood? The OSX page isn't really mentioning them
Re: 'Don't expect any major overhauls..': Why not? 'Point' i.e. 10.4 releases have incorporated Core Animation, Core Image, Core Data, etc.

I'm going to get ML on day one, and I haven't run the beta but considered it, but please refrain from making comments that have basically no basis in reality. If the downvote button had returned (will people quit asking for that to happen!) I would have downvoted your post for being deceiving and to counterbalance the people high fiving you with upvotes just because they are hyped for ML and you shot down naysayers

Sure, I'll give you more quantified findings.

Major Changes:
-Now boots to 64 bit Kernel regardless of EFI type
-Updated graphics drivers
-Further implementation of Core Animation, leading to efficient scrolling and animations system-wide
-OpenGL updated
-Memory manager updated

Core changes generally aren't well documented for the end user.

Why not expect major overhauls? Previous releases have incorporated what I'd call "essential service APIs" to modernize OS X along the years. These APIs also made hardware more accessible to developers with less layers needed in an application's codebase. However, it seems Apple has its bases covered here. All processing hardware is now accessible through Core Image, Audio, Animation, essential user services have an API through Core Data, and apps are being written to these APIs every day through the Mac App Store. Considering that Apple has the bases covered, what more must be done?

Networking software is up-to-date in the system and Apple uses their own proprietary API for things like iCloud syncing. Seeing as the focus of Apple's future is less on the computer sitting on your desk and more about the things it does, I don't expect them to do much other than take away conventional computing workflow and mechanisms. Furthermore, the base of the OS, NeXTSTEP, is about two decades old now. The Kernel is still getting updated but again is nothing new. These are the kinds of things that prevent a total overhaul of an OS and cannot be changed without, again, a total overhaul. I'm talking about an overhaul down to the file system used (ZFS anyone?), how systems files are encoded, distribution models, core media decoding services, coding languages, catering to next-gen hardware, etc. Think OS 9 to OS X. Hence, why I say don't expect any major overhauls until OS XI, if it ever exists.

I hope this clarified my post for you. :cool: