Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinsou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I had mobileMe for many years, but really mostly used it's idisk feature. Which is what I miss the most right now, sure there is dropbox and box.net and God knows how many other cloud storage sites out there. everybody seems to waiting to store our data nowadays...

I also had a website which I hosted on mobileMe which I had to look for some other hosting service, that kinda sucked.

But I guess it was a smooth transition.

What about you guys?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
iDisk was incredibly slow for me
Dropbox has been awesome in so many ways

My website is hosted and did not use iWeb
And I didn't use Galleries

So, no, I don't miss MobileMe

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
What I really miss is syncing that actually (mostly) worked. Syncing in iCloud is completely broken for me, and I have tried all of the suggested solutions to no avail.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I miss MM in the sense that it always worked for me and I had no problems using it. Losing iDisk was kind of annoying for me too since I used it to send large files to others. I do not miss SJ's affront to my intelligence when he said that people didn't want "cloud" to be a "big hard drive in the sky"... um yes, I did!

Now in iCloud, everything seems to be working except BTMM does not seem as reliable. When my MBP goes to sleep most of the time I lose the ability to remotely wake it and access it for screen sharing or file sharing if needed. Never had a problem like this using mobileme.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The only thing I really used in the old MobileMe set was the Gallery app, but even that was only used sparingly. iWeb was of no interest to me and iDisk was too slow to use with any regularity (been using Dropbox for a while now).

So I really haven't noticed much of a change going to iCloud.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I used it for two years and a few months. It was a mixed bag. Finally I got fed up with the issues and put together an alternate cloud strategy while waiting for iCloud. Once Apple began to publish information about iCloud and how it works, it became apparent I was far too optimistic as to Apple's capabilities at the present.

So I've continued to refine my use of the cloud services I do use, and it's paid of really well. All free, I'm saving money, enjoying excellent up-time and working in clouds that allow me the freedom I seek.

Perhaps as Apple progresses, they will become more skilled with cloud services, learn what users want, and deliver it. Much like anything else, it all depends on their priorities. Apple has talked a good game, and I believe they want to provide a good service, it's just a matter of learning how to do it. I have confidence that at some point in the future they will finally get it right.

Best of all, in the meantime there are lots of other very nice choices.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I mostly miss the web hosting, which made it incredibly easy to administer a website. I also miss the photo galleries, and the ease with which they could be created. Finally, although iDisk was painfully slow, iCloud won't cut it for me until it backs up all files rather than Pages and Keynote documents. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to the progress made in ML, although it's apparently not perfect.

RIP Mobile Me, you will be missed!

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I miss keychain syncing. I'm trying to transition to 1password, but it's not as good. I got work to pay for 1password, and I won't miss forking over $100 a year, but I liked mobile me the way it was. (also my work computer is the only computer I have that can run lion, so I guess I'll be missing everything that mobile me did for me at home, although i have not run into any problems yet.)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm missing iDisk (it was slow, but it was reliable and I had used it for a long time, and I also think the idea of deprecating cloud storage is bad in that the idea of cloud storage is that you can store it there and feel like your data is safe indefinitely), Gallery (nice when you don't want to publish to Facebook), and syncing System Preferences between Macs.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
What I miss is the speed of MobileMe. iCloud mail platform is so slow and sluggish when opening up and getting mail.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I miss iDisk the probably.

Oh, that and a web interface that worked on any browser you could through at it. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be at school where they use Firefox 3.6 and iCloud says it won't work >.<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.