PDA

View Full Version : Claimed Front Panel of White Next-Generation iPhone Surfaces

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/claimed-front-panel-of-white-next-generation-iphone-surfaces/)

Apple.pro points (http://apple.pro/index.php?do=/blog/132/iphone5%E7%8E%BB%E7%92%83%E9%9C%B2%E5%87%BA-ipad-mini-%E5%85%B7%E6%9C%89%E9%9B%BB%E8%A9%B1%E5%8A%9F%E8%83%BD/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://apple.pro/index.php%3Fdo%3D/blog/132/iphone5%25E7%258E%25BB%25E7%2592%2583%25E9%259C%25B2%25E5%2587%25BA-ipad-mini-%25E5%2585%25B7%25E6%259C%2589%25E9%259B%25BB%25E8%25A9%25B1%25E5%258A%259F%25E8%2583%25BD/&hl=en&langpair=auto%7Cen)] to a photo (http://s1076.photobucket.com/albums/w453/meme_168/?action=view&current=newiphone.jpg) posted to a Photobucket account that appears to show a white version of the next-generation "iPhone 5" front panel. This appears to be the first time that a claimed photo of the white version of the device has been seen.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/white_iphone_2012_front_panel.jpg

Front (top) and back (bottom) of claimed front panel from white next-generation iPhone
As with previously-leaked photo (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/more-photos-from-claimed-next-generation-iphone-include-front-panel-with-centered-facetime-camera/) and video (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/taller-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-caught-on-video/) of the black version, the new photo seems to show the front-facing FaceTime camera centered on the device, located above the earpiece rather than to the left of it as seen on current iPhone models. The small black window to the left of the earpiece on the white panel is likely to be the proximity sensor, which is visible above the earpiece on current white models.

The panel also shows a display with an aspect ratio of close to 16:9, in line with rumors of a taller screen measuring four inches diagonally. Overall, the front panel appears to match up closely to a previously-leaked design drawing (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/) showing details of the front panel.

Notably, the Photobucket account hosting the new photo is the same one that previously posted leaked measurement comparisons (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/ipad-3-rear-shell-measures-in-at-9-5-mm-thick-0-8-mm-thicker-than-ipad-2/) between the rear shells of the third-generation iPad and the iPad 2, showing roughly how much thicker the new iPad would be over the previous model.

Article Link: Claimed Front Panel of White Next-Generation iPhone Surfaces (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/claimed-front-panel-of-white-next-generation-iphone-surfaces/)

caligomez
Jul 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Nothing really new here..

Although looking forward to it! :)

applesith
Jul 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Tim says Apple is doubling down on secrecy for new devices. This is all fake leaks to throw us off, or Tim was too confident.

saintforlife
Jul 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
At this point I just want the longphone to be the next iPhone. Although I was skeptical at first, the design has grown on me with every subsequent leak.

garylapointe
Jul 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
Notably, the Photobucket account hosting the new photo is the same one that previously posted leaked measurement comparisons (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/ipad-3-rear-shell-measures-in-at-9-5-mm-thick-0-8-mm-thicker-than-ipad-2/) between the rear shells of the third-generation iPad and the iPad 2, showing roughly how much thicker the new iPad would be over the previous model.

It'd be great if notations like this said "correctly" leaked measurements to give us a better feel of the reliability of the information. I believe in this case it was correct and truly leaked, but just remind us of that.

Thank you.
Gary

iBungie
Jul 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
When I first saw this post I thought it might refer to a new MS challenging name 'iphone-surfaces'

achtung!
why is the home button, and the sides, larger on the black version?

Deeps
Doesn't look that bad!

metsjetsfan
Looks like a bigger home button. guess someone sneaked it out of foxconn.

producing 100k units a day from now until oct should mean close to 10MM units on launch day?? But no one knows how many countries will be included in the initial launch

bbplayer5
Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- A slightly larger screen that is years behind the competition.
- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Its just the same phone, a little bigger.

dokujaryu
It'd be great if notations like this said "correctly" leaked measurements to give us a better feel of the reliability of the information. I believe in this case it was correct and truly leaked, but just remind us of that.

Thank you.
Gary

We won't really know if its correct until the product is announced, right?

ah123
Jul 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Also the front camera has moved to the middle now? I'd prefer that - the symmetry is nice.

Edit - Or is that the proximity sensor in the middle? Just noticed the smaller hole just to the side of the earpiece of the black front face.

justperry
why is the home button is larger on the black version?

You just beat me to it.
First thing I noticed, this must be fake then.

EDit: I realized this before others reminded me.
I realize now that the white one is the front while the black is the inside, you can also see a bit of white line surrounding the black hole so from the front it may look different.
Also, The screen on the white one "seems" quite a bit smaller, 3.5 "

afurry13
Looks like a bigger home button. guess someone sneaked it out of foxconn.

producing 100k units a day from now until oct should mean close to 10MM units on launch day?? But no one knows how many countries will be included in the initial launch

100k units a day. That's a little ambitious.

garylapointe
At this point I just want this to be the next iPhone. Although I was skeptical at first, the design has grown on me with every subsequent leak.

I'm okay with whatever Apple does (usually). I'm just not due for an upgrade this year so I don't need it to have any new features that's really going to make me want this :)

A new shape / size screen I can wait for....

If they make the back of the phone with an eInk display so that I can see info (and read books) in the bright sunlight, that's when I'll be super excited.

Gary

Jayse
Jul 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-third-world-kid-meme-skeptical.jpg

Thunderhawks

Polish version without a home button.

Just a hole to holed it.

bad03xtreme
This design is a flop IMO, the screen needed to be wider to keep up with the current market and it seems Apple has failed to do that. I think that decision it will come back to bite them.

metsjetsfan
Jul 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
100k units a day. That's a little ambitious.

agree, but I thought it was 60-80k per day for iphone 4, thought it would be even better now.

Jack Delgado
Jul 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
You just beat me to it.

Before everyone starts bickering about the XL home button slot, take a closer look and notice that the black "front panel" is actually the back of a white/black panel.

The home button slot isn't bigger, you can actually see a faint rim around the slot on the backside of the plate, probably used to hold the home button in place.

Again, the bottom plate is the back of a white/black plate.

metsjetsfan
Jul 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
Tim says Apple is doubling down on secrecy for new devices. This is all fake leaks to throw us off, or Tim was too confident.

Could he have meant the new, new devices, ie the TV or some other product we haven't even dreamt of yet? Think it's very difficult when thousands of people need to produce this for months before launch day.

Nozuka
That's not the black version. It's the backside of the white one.

Moonjumper

Both images are of the white front. The black is the back face of the front, but doesn't go all the way to the edges. I assume the black is there to stop light showing through the white paint.

Fresh1
You just beat me to it.

Might just be a different camera angle. I dunno for sure though.

samac92

It's one panel, the black one is just the white one upside down. You can see there is a white outline around the black home button which is why it appears a different size when upside down.

MJD Dawg
Jul 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
The front camera opening looks smaller on the white panel. Also, can't see the proximity sensor on the white one.

TheStoof
This design is a flop IMO, the screen needed to be wider to keep up with the current market and it seems Apple has failed to do that. I think that decision it will come back to bite them.

People die for loyalty. You underestimate what someone will go through to remain loyal to the iPhone. It'll take a long time of zero change before people switch (think RIM).

starflyer

The front camera opening looks smaller on the white panel. Also, can't see the proximity sensor on the white one.

These are two separate pictures showing one piece, not two pieces side by side. One is showing the front side and the other is the same piece flipped over.

Edit: Jack Delgado beat me to it.

D-Dave
Jul 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hm, while I don't terribly mind the look, i am not sure I will be happy with the display being only longer...16:9? nah, the current aspect ratio is good and most of the time the limiting factor is the width (the shorter side)

Orlandoech
Jul 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Whats sad is, I agree yet Ill still buy it :( Im a db.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
I remember a while back there was a rumor about additional colors. Haven't heard anything since. I would like to see a couple new color additions to the lineup of white/black. I've had both clolors and it'd be nice to try a new one :)

mohsy90
Jul 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
I just want the 4G, thats it.

Mac21ND
Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Excited, hoping this will be my first iPhone.

(I know, I'm slow to the party.)

jowie
Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 AM

If you don't get it, you never will. Buy another phone.

GREEN4U
Jul 16, 2012, 09:54 AM

This is real and Tim will be proven to be a fool.

dokujaryu
Jul 16, 2012, 09:56 AM

- The iPhone screen is better than any Android I have used save the HTC One X. If superior to you means larger, then you'll be excited to hear the new Note is 0.2" larger.

- You can make similar arguments about any UI. Mac OS X is 11 years old and with a broad stroke its "the same". I wouldn't go back tho. ;-P If customization is your thing, well, you already mentioned jail breaking.

- I find it hard to believe you get great battery life out of any android LTE or GSM. I barely get 4 hours of screen time out of my Galaxy SIII on GSM and HTC One X. That's absolutely pathetic compared to the over 12 hours (3 days of use) I got out of the iPhone 4. The best life I got from an Android was from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE, mostly because the screen was a reasonable size and it used IPS technology instead of SAMOLED. Even the RAZR MAXX can't really best the iPhone on anything but talk time. So, I sort of support your argument that the Snapdragon S4 can handle LTE without annihilating the battery, but I can't agree I've ever seen a droid with good battery life in the first place. The nexus is especially pathetic. (Yes, I've used one)

In any case, I find it highly hypocritical of a group that screams choice till the blood vessels burst in their foreheads trying to make an argument against a choice. The iPhone is now and has always been a great choice.

zorinlynx
Jul 16, 2012, 09:57 AM

If it works well, why change it, just for the sake of change?

I'm happy with the iPhone's look and interface. Look at how many people are complaining because Microsoft is changing Windows 8 for the sake of change! If something is well designed and looks good, there is no reason to change it.

Radio
Jul 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
looks revolutionary!

good timing as my iphone 4 is running sllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

MACdaddy859
Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 AM

thats not the black version, its the back of that white panel

WeegieMac
Jul 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
I sold my 18 month old iPhone 4, great condition and SIM free, for 270 and took out a contact with O2 for the 4S. Sure, I could have waited, but having used the 4S at length for the first time it's actually amazing how much quicker and smoother it is than the 4, just when using iOS. I was one of those 4 owners who kidded themselves on about the 4S through sheer denial.

By the time my contract expires, the "S" version of the new device will be out (whatever name it will have remains to be seen) and that'll be a more substantial upgrade.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Apple, try and have white iPhones on launch day, and not 10 months later like the iPhone 4.

brentsg
Jul 16, 2012, 10:02 AM

Bigger isn't always better. In fact I'm not sure that I'll even consider this Apple design if it truely ends up being larger than my 4S. I will probably hold on to what I've got for as long as possible. But I'd never consider one of the larger Android phones.

Sucks, because I'm usually looking forward to an upgrade.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
i hate this home button so much. i hope it goes away and never comes back with the iPhone 7

and meh at still using the same design just bigger. is apple getting lazy now that they are on top?

i wish they would go back to something with more curves, my 4/4S are uncomfy to hold. saw the S3 for the first time out in the wild last week and i have to say, it feels nicer in your hand and its actually not that much bigger considering its screen size.

ill wait for the announcement of the iPhone and decide after if its time to try something new and fresh ;)

WeegieMac
Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Apple, try and have white iPhones on launch day, and not 10 months later like the iPhone 4.

4S had white on launch day.

justperry
Jul 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
looks revolutionary!

I would recommend a complete restore and start clean, maybe that would solve the problem.

dokujaryu
image (http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z272/miniroll32/memes/ballmer1-1.jpg)

nightmare fuel

applesith

I wouldn't say he'd be a fool. These leaks are as expected.

bad03xtreme
What Jonathan Ive's design thought was behind the new iPhone...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/bad03xtreme/Screenshot2012-07-16at110320AM.png

davie18
Jul 16, 2012, 10:06 AM

I think some of your criticism is unfair.

I mean the current gen iMac looks very similar to the one released in 2004. Macbook pros have changed very little in appearance over the past 5 or so years. I'd say not a bad thing that it looks similar to the original iPhone. I mean, they shouldn't just change the design for the sake of changing design.

Look at the ipod nano for example. People were probably too crying that it needed a design change, and since they have changed it to the smaller touch screen design, I'd say probably most people have said that apple should go back to the old design.

What I'm saying is that apple aren't being 'lazy' or have 'ran out of ideas' with these leaks if they are to be believed, but they are just sticking with what the currently believe to be the best design on the market. I mean personally, and I don't even own one, I think the 4/4S are the best looking phones out there, they just look stunning.

Do you think they should just make it look different for the sake of looking different, even if the new 'different' design looks worse?

2bikes
Jul 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Is there anybody out there that still thinks and guarantees that the prototypes we saw last month is not the real thing?

bad03xtreme
Jul 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
Bigger isn't always better. In fact I'm not sure that I'll even consider this Apple design if it truely ends up being larger than my 4S. I will probably hold on to what I've got for as long as possible. But I'd never consider one of the larger Android phones.

Sucks, because I'm usually looking forward to an upgrade.

You are in the minority i'm afraid...

justperry
Jul 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
i hate this home button so much. i hope it goes away and never comes back with the iPhone 7

and meh at still using the same design just bigger. is apple getting lazy now that they are on top?

i wish they would go back to something with more curves, my 4/4S are uncomfy to hold. saw the S3 for the first time out in the wild last week and i have to say, it feels nicer in your hand and its actually not that much bigger considering its screen size.

What do you want then, a touch sensitive button, now that would really Suk.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
What do you want then, a touch sensitive button, now that would really Suk.

check zephyr on cydia. thats what i call INNOVATING. havent used the homebutton on my iPhones in months

justperry
Jul 16, 2012, 10:12 AM
check zephyr on cydia. thats what i call INNOVATING. havent used the homebutton on my iPhones in months

Yes I am aware of that, but many people don't want to JB their device, and then....????

Edit: Off topic Am I the only one that experiences MR never loading completely, alway 1 item left to load.

oneMadRssn
Jul 16, 2012, 10:13 AM

I don't think Apple has run out of ideas, unless your you think it's an idea to copy the android herd.

- This isn't a bad thing unless you start with the assumption that what the competition is doing is better. Personally, I don't want a 5" mini-tab with a grainy pentile display. I want a minimalist screen with as high as pixel density as they can get without sacrificing color or brightness. And for the record, your galaxy nexus has less pixel density than the iphone 4. Who's years the behind the competition then?

- Don't fix it if it ain't broken. The only reason google changes the UI on Android with every major revision is because they never got it right to begin with.

- You're mostly right on this one. They aren't exactly the last company to market with LTE. They did release an LTE iPad in early 2012. However, when it comes to phones, they are a bit late to the LTE game. Then again, LTE coverage right now is limited only to major cities. Also, I just don't care about LTE. 3g is fast enough for 95% of what I do on my phone (email, calendar, small data apps like yelp, etc.), and the other 5% of the time I'm on wifi.

johndallas999
Jul 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
That is strange how the black cover has a larger home button hole. I too agree that Apple is getting lazy with their phones which arguably is their biggest revenue.

----------

These are two separate pictures showing one piece, not two pieces side by side. One is showing the front side and the other is the same piece flipped over.

Edit: Jack Delgado beat me to it.

Hmm...I don't know

AustinIllini
Jul 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
Yes I am aware of that, but many people don't want to JB their device, and then....????

Jailbreakers tend to forget that the majority of people don't want to jailbreak. Most people expect Apple to be perfect as is.

somethingelsefl
Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
I love these rumors. "Here is a tiny screw from the front, left corner of the maybe white iPhone"

Then...the comments are something like this "That screw is boring and Apple didn't innovate enough." or "That screw is even tinier and shinier than last year!" or "I think the screw was photo-shopped, just look at the glare at the top."

Here is the deal with hardware leaks...Apple is a software company that builds the hardware to run it. Hardware leaks are just part of the story behind the total experience on the iPhone. I eat these posts up like iCandy.

daneoni
Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
Not getting the White version this time. Been there, done that. Going back to Black.

bushido

but thats what im saying ... get rid of the home button and come up with something innovative and special again. isnt that their job?

as it stands right now, apple is only improving 3rd party additions to the iOS like Yielp (sigh) or Facebook. they are slowly turning iOS into an ad platform without people even realizing. pretty smart from their point of view tho, some extra few bucks into their pocket for getting those partners on board

Jailbreakers tend to forget that the majority of people don't want to jailbreak. Most people expect Apple to be perfect as is.

who says anything about jealbreaking? all im saying is that there are better ways already out, so apple could easily come up with their own solution

gadget123
I fear this will be another dud model.

The Iphone 4 seems the best to me, better battery life too. Can't see battery improving on the 4S with this screen.

Long is strange. Not a fan of the new Galaxy but they are going with a wider screen which is better for a 4". What's the point in a tall one other than making it a brick phone from the 1980's and looking like the LG Prada? :rolleyes:

Bring back those mocks of the aluminum back, slimmer design like the Ipod touch from a year or two ago. THAT should be the next Iphone.

All I see is a BIG Iphone 4?? Time for a proper change of design.

Zaft

Just downloaded zephyr. Great little tweak.

mono1980

Yes, because every single Android phone is TOTALLY different! I'm pissed they didn't make it star shaped. Rectangles are so boring! :rolleyes:

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
4S had white on launch day.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

lilo777
Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 AM

Is that a sarcasm or you are really that naive?

samcraig
I just don't WHAT some of the posters here are going to do if Apple releases a 4" screen on an iPhone. You know the ones - the ones that said anything bigger than 3.5 is stupid and won't fit in their hands and pockets. I guess they won't be upgrading? :confused:

brentsg
You are in the minority i'm afraid...

Is there any market research you can point to? Keep in mind that people who will worry with their smartphone preferences on a site like this ARE the minority.

I look around at my family and family that well represent the majority. They want a device that's mostly a phone, but that they can check e-mail on and play the occasional bit of Angry Birds. For those purposes, why would they want to pocket something large?

The only people that I personally know that have anything larger than an iPhone are 2 guys that work as IT systems engineers, and one of them also has the huge extended battery strapped on so he can make it through the day. Not the majority..

foodog
Jul 16, 2012, 10:22 AM

...and it will be the best selling phone model once its released.

nick_elt
Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
- The iPhone screen is better than any Android I have used save the HTC One X. If superior to you means larger, then you'll be excited to hear the new Note is 0.2" larger.

- You can make similar arguments about any UI. Mac OS X is 11 years old and with a broad stroke its "the same". I wouldn't go back tho. ;-P If customization is your thing, well, you already mentioned jail breaking.

- I find it hard to believe you get great battery life out of any android LTE or GSM. I barely get 4 hours of screen time out of my Galaxy SIII on GSM and HTC One X. That's absolutely pathetic compared to the over 12 hours (3 days of use) I got out of the iPhone 4. The best life I got from an Android was from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE, mostly because the screen was a reasonable size and it used IPS technology instead of SAMOLED. Even the RAZR MAXX can't really best the iPhone on anything but talk time. So, I sort of support your argument that the Snapdragon S4 can handle LTE without annihilating the battery, but I can't agree I've ever seen a droid with good battery life in the first place. The nexus is especially pathetic. (Yes, I've used one)

In any case, I find it highly hypocritical of a group that screams choice till the blood vessels burst in their foreheads trying to make an argument against a choice. The iPhone is now and has always been a great choice.

with all the millions of different sized android phones, why doesnt one of the manufacturers have a premium phone that is only 4'? all the flagship models are more like paddles. That is one of the biggest reasons holding me back fom anything else. Yeh ive heard the new note is .2 larger, when i picked up a note first thing i noticed was how small it was................

ComputersaysNo
Jul 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
I am curious why the leak is supposedly from China, while Apple just builded a shiny new iphone factory in Brazil? 2 prototypes send out and see which one surfaces first?

daneoni

Thats the beauty of choice. You've gone with Android/Nexus, some prefer WP7.5, others prefer other platforms. The rest who don't subscribe to your criticism will welcome the new revision with open arms.

Buy what works for you and move on.

newyorksole
And yet people are still expecting a radically different looking new iPhone.

Once again.... You've seen the new iPhone. Stop expecting something different.

justperry
Jul 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
but thats what im saying ... get rid of the home button and come up with something innovative and special again. isnt that their job?

as it stands right now, apple is only improving 3rd party additions to the iOS like Yielp (sigh) or Facebook. they are slowly turning iOS into an ad platform without people even realizing. pretty smart from their point of view tho, some extra few bucks into their pocket for getting those partners on board

who says anything about jealbreaking? all im saying is that there are better ways already out, so apple could easily come up with their own solution

Oh, I am all for it, but I don't think Apple will remove the button and has a software only option.
Aren't there special button presses that will invoke a certain action with the home button, example press button X together with home button to reset or something like this.

bushido
Is there any market research you can point to? Keep in mind that people who will worry with their smartphone preferences on a site like this ARE the minority.

I look around at my family and family that well represent the majority. They want a device that's mostly a phone, but that they can check e-mail on and play the occasional bit of Angry Birds. For those purposes, why would they want to pocket something large?

The only people that I personally know that have anything larger than an iPhone are 2 guys that work as IT systems engineers, and one of them also has the huge extended battery strapped on so he can make it through the day. Not the majority..

yet im the only one of my friends and former iPhone users left with an iPhone. see, personal experiece doesnt really mean anything. they were all tired of waiting for a new iPhone and indeed wanted something bigger.

Colpeas

That's what I like about it - constancy. The UI might need some changes, system-wide, because the new iOS 6 beta still seems like a total failure to me. I think we'll all eventually get used to the 16:9 ratio and the phone doesn't look that bad. I am not a huge fan of the new back though, unibody would have been nicer.

tylersdad
Jul 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
ill wait for the announcement of the iPhone and decide after if its time to try something new and fresh ;)

I'm doing the same thing. Taller screen is a good start, but doesn't go far enough, IMO. I don't want to be forced to switch my phone to landscape orientation when reading books or news articles on the device. It's much more comfortable to hold the phone in portrait orientation. A wider screen (in portrait orientation) would be better.

I'd also like to see the rounded back return. My 3GS was FAR more comfortable to hold in my hand than my 4.

SprodeBoy
Jul 16, 2012, 10:29 AM

it isnt the black version underneath but the black back side of the white.

fromoxwithlove
Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
You know - it looks like this might just be the white front panel - the "black" one is just the white panel flipped over...

Can't wait ;)

Ivabign
Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
Game. Set. Match. This is the new iPhone.

Allenbf
Jul 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry to interject a real question into the usual mix of "Apple is stale and will die" comments, but I wonder if the added screen length and 16:9 ratio would mean an additional row of app icons on the screen? As in, 6 icons per column (counting the bottom tray) instead of the 5 as it is now?

Doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.

Also, for ME, I like this design. I'm not interested in a phone that is 5 inches, if I want something that large, I'll use my iPad or maybe the rumored iPad Mini if such a creature exists. :-)

hexx
Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Not getting the White version this time. Been there, done that. Going back to Black.

as a friend of mine said on saturday night (when she was a bit pissed):

"once you try black, you can't go back"

:D

bboucher790
Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.quantance.com/

I'm hoping Apple utilizes Quantance in the "new" iPhone.

Quantance is 50% more efficient and much much faster, compared to previous chips. This could be an LTE game changer. To all of those saying Apple is late to the LTE game, maybe they're just in time.

Oh and lastly, that's not the black iPhone. Read the article people, or better yet, read the article title. :o

JHankwitz
Jul 16, 2012, 10:38 AM

It always amazes me how people can tell that something will be the same by just looking at a photo of its outer case. Also, how they constantly expect perfection to become more perfect.

I personally purchase products because they provide a function that serves me well. Expecting change for the sake of change is a total waste.

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM

You realize it is the same part, just flipped around? The white goes a little bit around the borders so it does not show black.

Edit: You beat me: :D

it isnt the black version underneath but the black back side of the white.

champ01
Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM

I wan't the same phone with the same sized screen with the same UI.
All Apple needs to do it put better specs under the hood.

I knew what I want 5 year ago and so did Apple. Let's hope we're still on the same page. :)

KPOM
Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 AM

This is where the downvote button would be handy.

If Apple wanted to build a phone with a 5" screen they could. They aren't. There's probably a good reason for it.

As for the UI, again, why change it if it isn't broken? It took Android up to now to get a decent UI that is as smooth as IOS. Plus, changes to Android have become more incremental over the years.

As for LTE, it was the same with 3G. They are waiting for power-efficient chipsets to become available. The Galaxy Nexus is huge. Getting decent battery life out of something the size of the iPhone requires a bit more creativity.

The iPhone is following Apple's normal course. They release it, and then let it evolve over time. Few Apple products, even from the Steve Jobs era, radically change over time, with the notable exception of the iPod.

Glideslope

Wait for the "inside" specs to be confirmed. It is not the same phone. It is a very functional design that works well for the people who choose to be in the Apple Ecosystem. For those who do not, you have many choices.

If they have 10 million units for launch it will be a 2-3 week wait after 7 days. I like the design. Reminds me of the Lumia 900, which IMO feels great in my hand. I like the taller versus wider design element.I have a feeling the majority of people will really like how it feels in the hand.

iOS does everything 95% of people who use it need. The other 5% post in places like here.

The nice thing is you have choice. Apple's Ecosystem or not. If you have invested so heavily in Apple products that changing would cost thousands, I doubt this new phone is a motivator. :)

Frenchjay

Here's the thing. Outside of tech blogs and phone geeks the vast majority of people by the iPhone because it looks the best out of all the handsets, it's the simplest to use and has the most stable software. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the look of the new handset based on 'leaks' but in reality no one knows anything.

I'm willing to bet Apple will have a new iPhone design that people will absolutely drool over when they actually hold it in their hands. Jonathan I've is still there and unless he's had a stroke I don't envisage any bad exterior design to the phone. It's the same every year. People complain based on leaks and when the phone comes out they're first in line.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm so sick of seeing these damn leaks of an unfinished products. And of a product that may or may not be the new iPhone. Seeing something like this means nothing as a finished device will always look better than a prototype or just the front or back case.:rolleyes:

Razeus
Jul 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
I still like to be able to set my own default apps for services (mail, camera, etc.) .

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 10:46 AM

You assume that Apple is all about keeping up with the market. They aren't. They don't design based on what everyone else is doing. They design based on what everyone else is going, patent the design and sue everyone for following their lead.

Apple will only make their screen bigger if they feel that bigger is better. Not because everyone else is doing it.

Zaft
Jul 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling a bunch of GS3s will be on eBay when the new iPhone comes out.

charlituna
Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 AM

Or its fake and Tim is laughing his ass off cause yet again his tactic of letting the sites run with their way off base rumors so they aren't trying to sort out the truth and will look like morons when the real thing is announced in a couple of months and is nothing like this has worked.

who knows at this point.

TallGuy1970
Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Design, or how something looks, will always be a matter of opinion. Some will like the way the new iPhone looks. Some will not. That is NEVER going to change. To make a purchase based on what something looks like is a bit foolish.

What really matters is how it works! Granted, a larger screen will dictate a little bit of the design, but the way the hardware and soft integrate; how the apps run; How the phone provides a way to accomplish all you need it to; that's where the true beauty of a device lies! :cool:

SpyderBite
I have a white iPhone 4. I am expecting delivery of my new 4s today. Why? Because just in case all of the sci-fi dreams being passed around as fact are even slightly true, I can keep my pocket sized iPhone.

4g? Don't need it. I know how to connect to a wifi network with my phone and don't rely on cellular data when it's unnecessary.

Carlanga
OMG, a white iPhone! I though I would never see the day... oh wait... :p

KPOM
Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
with all the millions of different sized android phones, why doesnt one of the manufacturers have a premium phone that is only 4'? all the flagship models are more like paddles. That is one of the biggest reasons holding me back fom anything else. Yeh ive heard the new note is .2 larger, when i picked up a note first thing i noticed was how small it was................

My guess is that one reason is that a 4" Android phone with LTE would have such short battery life that it would be panned and wouldn't sell well.

Android seems tuned for 5" smartphones and 7" tablets. There just isn't enough differential between the two, which may be a part of the reason why the Android tablet market has struggled for the past 2 years. Google has been treating tablets as if they are simply big smartphones.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 10:51 AM

I find it ironic that a company that routinely gets hated on for caring about "form over function" is now being hated on because their designs haven't changed much. Or because they're not aping what Android OEM's are doing. The haters moan about retina just being marketing but couldn't the same be said about larger screen phones? That's just marketing from the phone carriers and OEM's to get you to think that bigger = innovation = better when in reality bigger is most likely due to LTE battery needs. And of course carriers wanting customers to use LTE.

daneoni
Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
as a friend of mine said on saturday night (when she was a bit pissed):

"once you try black, you can't go back"

:D

Haha

acslater017
Jul 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
looks revolutionary!

My iPhone 4 used to run super slow too. I highly recommend backing up everything, restoring the device to factory settings, and re-loading your content (NOT "restoring from backup"; this may reload any software corruption).

I just did that awhile ago and it feels brand new now!

aerok
Jul 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm doing the same thing. Taller screen is a good start, but doesn't go far enough, IMO. I don't want to be forced to switch my phone to landscape orientation when reading books or news articles on the device. It's much more comfortable to hold the phone in portrait orientation. A wider screen (in portrait orientation) would be better.

I'd also like to see the rounded back return. My 3GS was FAR more comfortable to hold in my hand than my 4.

That was main thing I hated about the 4/4S, rounded corners FTW!

davidgnomo
Jul 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
I want a damn leak about an iMac !!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Macist
Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for this. I never saw it like that. I'm getting a Nexus just like yours for sure now.

empezar
Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
I would like a wider screen instead of a taller one.

Or rather, a screen that is both wider and taller.

I might go with a Samsung instead.

Navdakilla
Jul 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
I will be ordering this opening day. Love the 4s, my only wish was a slightly bigger screen. Bring this on!!

cmichaelb
Jul 16, 2012, 11:10 AM

They kind have gotten that issue figured out. 4S had white on launch on all carriers.

edit: PS- darn, someone beat me to it....

I will be ordering this opening day. Love the 4s, my only wish was a slightly bigger screen. Bring this on!!

Love mine too. I might wait for 5S though....
That was main thing I hated about the 4/4S, rounded corners FTW!

Rounded back you mean. All Apple products have rounded corners. Read Issacson's book and you'll find the story where the rounded corners came to be.

I had the same thought when they got rid of the rounded back but the iPhone 4/4S with a thin case(Magpul) feels great. The thinness for me compensates for the lack of a rounded back.

Ivabign
Jul 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
While everyone complains about the size of the screen, I'm excited about how damned thin this thing is going to be.

chrmjenkins
Jul 16, 2012, 11:14 AM

Bigger screen does not necessarily equal better phone. Not everyone has the same tastes.

The same isn't true of android? It still relies on launchers, has widgets, the shade, etc. What are you expecting? Windows Phone 7 is the only true UI revamp we've seen from an OS that isn't dead (webOS) or yet to be launched, if ever (BB10).

LTE is mostly a US thing. You don't see companies like HTC and Samsung shipping that many LTE devices overseas, but Apple ships the same phone everywhere now. They also have volume no one else has. That's two reasons, in addition to having an integrated chipset that meets their space requirements (in addition to power). That's only now possible because of Qualcomm's 28nm chipset.

What exactly do you expect different out of a bar phone with a touchscreen?

justperry
Jul 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
My iPhone 4 used to run super slow too. I highly recommend backing up everything, restoring the device to factory settings, and re-loading your content (NOT "restoring from backup"; this may reload any software corruption).

I just did that awhile ago and it feels brand new now!

You beat me to it, oh wait

I would recommend a complete restore and start clean, maybe that would solve the problem. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15258179#post15258179)

Gix1k
Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
Is it me or all these "spy" photos are showing me is the 'iphone 5' is going to look exactly like the 4s, but with a bigger screen?

This panel looks like I could take some out the middle and use on my 4S.

Grrrr!!! Was hoping for a whole new look. :rolleyes:

ChrisTX
Jul 16, 2012, 11:19 AM

How would you prefer the iPhone to look from the front?
If the screen size is really that important now, it should have been important from day 1, nothing has changed. The averge jane, and joe don't care about the size of the screen.
Basically the same UI? Windows, and OSX have basically been the same for YEARS yet this doesn't seem to be a problem, why is it one on the iPhone?
Last to market with LTE? I'm in doors most of the time with incredible fast wifi, not really that big of a deal. Secondly the average user couldn't even tell you what LTE is, let alone what it stands for. I think Apple, and the iPhone will do just fine.

damir00
Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Looks like a retread of the previous iPhones.

I guess there's nowhere really left to go with this form factor.

Ah well, fun while it lasted!

PeopleTheseDays
Jul 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
I just don't WHAT some of the posters here are going to do if Apple releases a 4" screen on an iPhone. You know the ones - the ones that said anything bigger than 3.5 is stupid and won't fit in their hands and pockets. I guess they won't be upgrading? :confused:

Same here, there's going to be a bunch of backtracking and hypocrisy come October. I for one can't wait for the bigger screen. Though these designs seem kind of fake imo. Awkwardly tall...

gotluck
Jul 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
im keeping my iPhone 4 and my off contract (cheaper) plan. doesn't seem like enough to merit an upgrade.

yslr
Jul 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
I agree with that. No change in UI shows that they did the right at the first time. In addition, every change needs an adaptation process, sometimes it is hard to get used to it. (which shows Windows 8 will suck :) ) Finally, I own an Android phone now :)

I don't think Apple has run out of ideas, unless your you think it's an idea to copy the android herd.

- This isn't a bad thing unless you start with the assumption that what the competition is doing is better. Personally, I don't want a 5" mini-tab with a grainy pentile display. I want a minimalist screen with as high as pixel density as they can get without sacrificing color or brightness. And for the record, your galaxy nexus has less pixel density than the iphone 4. Who's years the behind the competition then?

- Don't fix it if it ain't broken. The only reason google changes the UI on Android with every major revision is because they never got it right to begin with.

- You're mostly right on this one. They aren't exactly the last company to market with LTE. They did release an LTE iPad in early 2012. However, when it comes to phones, they are a bit late to the LTE game. Then again, LTE coverage right now is limited only to major cities. Also, I just don't care about LTE. 3g is fast enough for 95% of what I do on my phone (email, calendar, small data apps like yelp, etc.), and the other 5% of the time I'm on wifi.

knewsom
Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 AM

I hate to say it, but yup. 100% correct. Trouble is, I'm kinda locked into the ecosystem... all my apps, my whole family is on iOS - and to top it off, I have yet to see a display on an android phone I could stand.

I've been ogling the Note for months.

Zaft
Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
This is what i also don't understand. Windows and Mac have looked pretty much the same besides some obvious graphical changes. Android has just now finally got a good UI which they can keep from here on out.

GaiaAero
Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
For all we know, this could be a fake(not saying it is). Why are we making judgements about a product that hasn't even been released yet? I don't get it :confused:

knewsom
Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
The same isn't true of android? It still relies on launchers, has widgets, the shade, etc. What are you expecting? Windows Phone 7 is the only true UI revamp we've seen from an OS that isn't dead (webOS) or yet to be launched, if ever (BB10).

WinPho7 is amazing. I'll say it. I love Windows Phone 7. It's simply gorgeous, snappy, and brilliantly done. Best thing Microsnot has done in years.

2bikes
Jul 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
im keeping my iPhone 4 and my off contract (cheaper) plan. doesn't seem like enough to merit an upgrade.

Screen glass tells us everything else about the phone and we can make a judgement of how much it will be improved. No upgrade necessary. :rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jul 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
I expect 500 million new Android phones to be sold by this time next year.

Apple... your last chance is iOS 7.

AustinIllini
Jul 16, 2012, 11:45 AM

I can't really argue here. I see the screens now on iPhone and I just don't know that I would ever go back.
While I'm inclined to agree with you on this front, iOS still has the smoothest UI in the industry. For the time being, I think Apple is just fine with what they're doing. At some point, however, that may change.
I tend to side with Apple on this. In the fall of 2011, most of the android phones with LTE capability were huge battery drainers. The iPhone 4S, upon its release, had better battery than any LTE phone on the market at the time (however still not as good as the iPhone 4, strangely enough). By holding themselves to a year to year cycle, Apple has become somewhat late on the LTE train. Honestly, I don't know that Apple had suspected that Samsung, HTC, and even Motorola would have so much good fortune with LTE phone batteries. In conclusion, the only thing I think keeping Apple behind is their own release schedule.

Comments in bold

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
For all we know, this could be a fake(not saying it is). Why are we making judgements about a product that hasn't even been released yet? I don't get it :confused:
par for the course. B*itch about something that may or may not exist.

AustinIllini
Jul 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
I expect 500 million new Android phones to be sold by this time next year.

Apple... your last chance is iOS 7.

I agree with this to some extent. Apple may lose some of its edge among phone power users, however my father, who's first smartphone is an iPhone 4, seems more likely to buy another iPhone.

The question is whether or not there are more users like my father, upgrading every two years and sticking with what they have, or like me, who had a chance to upgrade and went a different direction.

----------

par for the course. B*itch about something that may or may not exist.

If these images were fake and this high a number of sources were fooled, this red herring would be an unprecedented shock, even for Apple.

MacFather
Jul 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
I hate taller 16:9 screens, it reminds me LG Chocolate BL40

http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/lg/lg-bl40-chocolate/lg-bl40-chocolate.jpg

DarkKnightNine
Jul 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
I mean really, with exception of first time buyers or iPhone 3 and 3GS owners, does anyone care or even want an iPhone 5? Bigger screen? So blaaah. They will have do something really groundbreaking like the rumored laser keyboard to get me interested.

pmz
Jul 16, 2012, 11:53 AM

LOL. What a joke. Apple has run out of design ideas!!! Panic!

Guess it never occurred to you that perhaps the design that led to the most successful device of any kind in the history of gadget retail is NOT something they would want to dramatically change in small amounts of time....

:rolleyes:

greytmom
Jul 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
We won't really know if its correct until the product is announced, right?

Gary was referring to the leak of information about the comparisons between the second and third generation iPads. Those leaks, apparently, were indeed correct.

koban4max
Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
I don't think this is the next gen iphone. Especially when it is a rumor. Many thought iphone 5 was going to come out last year..but it released 4s.

evorc
Jul 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
This is what i also don't understand. Windows and Mac have looked pretty much the same besides some obvious graphical changes. Android has just now finally got a good UI which they can keep from here on out.

Lol its not the looks! Im a hardcore windows guy but MAC changed all that.

Tronic
Maintaining a similar design keeps resale prices high, which a lot of people on this board take advantage of to upgrade early.

There are a lot of people who buy the iPhone bc it's cool and as soon as you put a case on it they all look the same so people are okay buying a year old device. I don't think this really happens with other handset makers. Additionally consumers an identify an iPhone from a few feet away because they look similar. Apple likes this free advertising. I couldn't identify Samsung from a droid or whatever unless I had it in my hand. Think of the other handsets that you could identify from afar (Nokia bricks, razr, blackberry). Sure they are all dead now but we can still identify them bc they maintained similar designs from year to year.

iEnvy
And the game continues!

Though the new iPhone is taller, its still 4" diagonally. Still SOME real estate

r.harris1
Jul 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
yet im the only one of my friends and former iPhone users left with an iPhone. see, personal experiece doesnt really mean anything. they were all tired of waiting for a new iPhone and indeed wanted something bigger.

Personal experience is everything. My friends and I don't sit around comparing our smartphones, much less asking "who's got a bigger one". Sounds like a sad, sad conversation topic to me:eek:

Typically it's a personal choice: You like something or you don't. It has the functionality you need or it doesn't. If you're waiting for an iPhone the size of your friends' phones, you may be in for a long wait:D

Big is out there if that's the only motivating factor.

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
I mean really, with exception of first time buyers or iPhone 3 and 3GS owners, does anyone care or even want an iPhone 5? Bigger screen? So blaaah. They will have do something really groundbreaking like the rumored laser keyboard to get me interested.

I care. I want one. I have an iPhone 4. I want Siri and I would like to have 16:9 for on-the-go. To be honest, my contract is qualified for an upgrade in October, so if it comes out in September, I will not be one of the first to buy it. But yea, I want it. Agreed to disagree with you there. :cool:

DudeDad
Jul 16, 2012, 12:03 PM

Optical illusion

sbrhwkp3
Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Too bad. I really liked the tear drop design with the added width and height.

But mark my words, I'm going to buy the **** out of this phone anyways. :D:apple:

Ramchi
Jul 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Looks like Apple needs to carefully walk since it has defined market with the app ecosystem which it can't afford to disturb (otherwise called as fragmentation) yet retaining well defined simplistic approach towards user experience without much of customization options as in Android platforms.

Like you have Mac Book Pro, Air, iMac of different screen sizes yet using same OS across, iOS 6.0 probably brings some layer beneath top UI layer which can allow developers to switch apps according to the size of the screen or seamlessly render content as it fits(additional layer of tiles in the case of home screen - which probably determines the overall screen size).

It will be a very tough decision, moving away from its philosophy while market forces challenging its thought process to deviate and to innovate!

TonyC28
Jul 16, 2012, 12:09 PM

People are going to torch you for saying what you did, as I see some already have, but on a very basic level I must say that I kind of agree with you. While I still like my iPhone, and will most likely be getting the new one, it's hard to argue that at first glance they all have the same appearance and have kinda gotten stale.

samcraig
What exactly do you expect different out of a bar phone with a touchscreen?

Thanks for just invalidating all of Apple's patents and claims on how Samsung (and other) phones look just like the iPhone. Not that I agree that they do. But how different CAN a bar phone with a touchscreen look.

sbrhwkp3
I hate taller 16:9 screens, it reminds me LG Chocolate BL40

Image (http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/lg/lg-bl40-chocolate/lg-bl40-chocolate.jpg)

Don't blame you for hating that phone. The UI looks like a palm pilot from 1996.

TonyC28
Jul 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
looks revolutionary!

Just curious, what "looks" revolutionary about this? Aside from the size difference it looks as though the next iPhone will have basically the same appearance.

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 12:12 PM

You know what comes to mind? Booo Porsche! Same Carrera design since the 1963. Who wants that? (I do.) They should have come up with something else. So they did: 914, 924, 944. These "alternative" designs to the 911 almost killed the company. Even the attempt to change them twice did not work. So, Porsche just scratched them in 1991 and since then, everything was based off the 911: All supercars had the 911 base design, even the SUV Cayenne, the small Boxter and Cayman and the 4-door Panamera are modeled after the successful 911 design. They were so successful that if the financial crisis 2007 wouldn't have happened, they would have taken over VW and all its subsidies: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ducati, Seat, Suzuki (19.9%), Skoda, VWCV, Skania (89.2%), and M.A.N. (75.03%). (Actually technically, VW was owned by Porsche Holding SA during the merger.) So, now, can you bring your argument again about someone known for their design shoud change it?

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Your argument falls apart once you consider that a car is not a phone. I'm not saying the argument has no merit. But still, a car is not a phone. And with that difference comes a lot of other considerations.

You know what comes to mind? Booo Porsche! Same Carrera design since the 1963. Who wants that? (I do.) They should have come up with something else. So they did: 914, 924, 944. These "alternative" designs to the 911 almost killed the company. Even the attempt to change them twice did not work. So, Porsche just scratched them in 1991 and since then, everything was based off the 911: All supercars had the 911 base design, even the SUV Cayenne, the small Boxter and Cayman and the 4-door Panamera are modeled after the successful 911 design. They were so successful that if the financial crisis 2007 wouldn't have happened, they would have taken over VW. (Actually technically, VW was owned by Porsche Holding SA during the merger.) So, now, can you bring your argument again about someone known for their design shoud change it?

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
Your argument falls apart once you consider that a car is not a phone. I'm not saying the argument has no merit. But still, a car is not a phone. And with that difference comes a lot of other considerations.

I agree to disagree. Both are bought mainly by either you like the design or you don't - or by choice of status symbol. Both have competitors on the field. Both are desirable top brands. Both have to deal with being not the cheapest and having competition which can produce similar results. Both are seperated by the rest of the market by unique design features and performance.

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
I agree to disagree. Both are bought mainly by either you like the design or you don't - or by choice of status symbol. Both have competitors on the field. Both are desirable top brands. Both have to deal with being not the cheapest and having competition which can produce similar results. Both are seperated by the rest of the market by unique design features and performance.

So people don't buy the porshe for how it drives? the service and maintenance? and so on?

How about this. One is a car that costs incredibly more than a phone. The phone is far more accessible to more people in contrast to the porsche.

An operating system can't be compared to gas mileage, drive performance, etc.

Like I said - when you break it down - you just can't compare. Just because they are considered luxury items doesn't mean they are similar when it comes to buyer behavior or needs/wants.

And you know what - they iPhone isn't that much of a luxury item these days. Yes - you can get a lot of phones cheaper - but there are a lot of phones that cost the same or even more.

afurry13
Jul 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
agree, but I thought it was 60-80k per day for iphone 4, thought it would be even better now.

That was probably peak manufacturing. It takes a while to get the operators and such up to that speed. It's not all robots yet, hopefully someday.

SpectatorHere
Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
The only mobile electronics going to this sort of aspect ratio are Android tablets. Think of all the developers out there who would have to figure ways to port games even between existing iPhone models if this leak was true. You'd have the skinny version and the normal version. As we know this isn't in the SDK, so on launch day no apps are going to look right?????

I predict the next iPhone will be 4.3 to 4.7 inches and maintain the same aspect ratio as the current iPhone line up.

lowonthe456
Jul 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
I would recommend a complete restore and start clean, maybe that would solve the problem.

Mine is the same way and I did just that. No difference.

Good thing its upgrade year, though I'm a little bummed that this will be the iPhone 4X and not the 5

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
So people don't buy the porshe for how it drives? the service and maintenance? and so on?

The same could be said about the feel of the iPhone. So, yes, they do. And they buy iPhones for said reason as well.

How about this. One is a car that costs incredibly more than a phone. The phone is far more accessible to more people in contrast to the porsche.
So is the to-go-phones compared to the last iPhone. I can get a used Porsche for under $10k. That is accessible to virtually everyone having a cell phone contract being of age.

An operating system can't be compared to gas mileage, drive performance, etc.
Well, it actually can: operating costs (i.e. dataplan etc.) and smoothness of OS to driving performance, you can indeed compare.

Like I said - when you break it down - you just can't compare. Just because they are considered luxury items doesn't mean they are similar when it comes to buyer behavior or needs/wants.
Like I said, you can. But we don't have to agree on it.

And you know what - they iPhone isn't that much of a luxury item these days. Yes - you can get a lot of phones cheaper - but there are a lot of phones that cost the same or even more.
You could say the same about a Top-Line Ford Mustang or any other major car brand: They will be either more luxurious, have better performance, be cheaper, more expensive, you name it. So, what? I just think you can compare it and I think we won't convince each other. So, let's just agree to disagree.

Edit: Since there is a RIM Porsche Design phone, you can even compare that :D

cmichaelb
Jul 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
The only mobile electronics going to this sort of aspect ratio are Android tablets. Think of all the developers out there who would have to figure ways to port games even between existing iPhone models if this leak was true. You'd have the skinny version and the normal version. As we know this isn't in the SDK, so on launch day no apps are going to look right?????

I predict the next iPhone will be 4.3 to 4.7 inches and maintain the same aspect ratio as the current iPhone line up.

Apple, in the past, has given updated SDKs out in advance to hand picked developers to create fresh apps for a new device. Under heavy NDA's.

Look at some of the old iPhone keynote presentations or read about the secrecy developers were under with trying to prep apps for the iPad 1 release.

Most likely a few key developers will have the new SDK already and have have apps ready day one to take advantage of the new features if Apple's past history is any indication.

Not sure if this rumored screen size is true, but it would not be out of the question.

There is so much smoke here something has to be up with a new form factor.
Blows me away why people still buy these things. *It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. *Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas. *

- A slightly larger screen that is years behind the competition.*
- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. *Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.*
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. *I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. *Copout.*

What can you really do with a screen with not much bezel? Seriously the bezel is the only real thing you differentiate.

Larger is not necessarily better for the majority of people- which is what Apple is targeting.

The current screen size allows one handed operation easily for the VAST majority of people. I like the big screen size of say, the Galaxy Note, but I cannot operate it one handed. It is so uncomfortable to hold while making a phone call - for someone with my hand size. That's why Apple targets what will fit the most people.

Another thing to remember is ever since the first iPod nano, EVERY iPod and iPhone is no wider than the watch pocket in a pair of jeans. They will not go wider.

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Like I said, you can. But we don't have to agree on it.

We can agree to disagree whether your analogy works or not. It's cool.

bad03xtreme
Jul 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Agreed, they'll probably only sell 50 million units.. You're an idiot!

Maybe if they made an iPhone with a wider and taller screen they'd sell 100 million...

fertilized-egg
Jul 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Reading through this thread gives me a great feeling of deja vu. Eerily similar to what we've seen since about 3GS or so. Every year we'll complain Apple's doom is pending this year because this year is when the new iPhone without any innovation will get decimated by its superior competition who has great innovation like...bigger screen.

MidMan
Jul 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Apple.pro points to a photo posted to a Photobucket account that appears to show a white version of the next-generation "iPhone 5" front panel. This appears to be the first time that a claimed photo of the white version of the device has been seen.

I think that is not the first photo. There were another photos.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1403682

SpectatorHere
Jul 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
There is so much smoke here something has to be up with a new form factor.

We haven't seen much at all. And we've been here before with the last iPhone roll-out. People make counterfeits based off of rumors and put them out as real. There is no disputing this. We may even see major aftermarket companies bet thousands of dollars on a leak.

So, we have all that on the one hand, and one weird form factor case design that's shown up in three or four places now. Not even a phone, just some metal and plastic that are in the shape of what's claimed to be the new iPhone. Oh, it just so happens this weird case follows speculation from someone on a rumor site EXACTLY.

Apparently that guy (if anyone wants to find the post they can)--who was talking about maintaining "retina-ess" with a 4 inch display--nailed the it. He just figured it out. He argued they could just add another row of icons. EDIT: Here's the first mention I find off hand on April 9th at the Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5 Most people, I think, made quick note of how it would break every app and didn't take it seriously until the predictable blurry photos showed up. Now most everyone just assumes this is it. (BTW, the blurry photos aren't even all the same design, we can now see there are discrepancies...the noise canceling mic hole between camera and flash, the placement of the front-facing camera.)

If these rumors are true:

-Every app will have to either be stretched, boxed, or ported.

-New connector means many existing accessories will not work for this phone.

-Mini-iPad rumors, which now have reached credible sources like the NY Times, wouldn't use this new aspect ratio for some reason.

-Cook's "one screen size, one resolution" given at D10. He was talking at the time, and didn't mention the future, but now we're supposed to believe not only the size is changing, but also the resolution....even more, the aspect ratio?????

EDIT: Here is Tim's exact quote: "One thing is that we're not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it's pretty simple if you're a developer."

I may be proven wrong, but I don't think this is anything but fake.

Gix1k
Jul 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm not even going to complain about the aspect ratio because I will be buying a white 32gb either way.

TheMarc
Jul 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
I don't mind the (very) similar design. Like it's been said, when you have a "classic" design (such as certain cars), you don't have to completely change it, just refine it. The design was gorgeous from the beginning, and it still looks like it'll be so, and still much nicer than any other phone out there.
The only thing that bothers me a little, is that they didn't seem to use all the width they could have, to make the screen a "little" wider, while keeping a narrow phone, and especially that they didn't seem to reduce the top and bottom bezel to make a bigger screen without making a phone that much longer.

shanson27
Jul 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm so disappointed, the same design :mad:

Digital Skunk
Jul 16, 2012, 01:56 PM

Agreed! It wasn't like Apple had anything substantially new when the first iPhone was introduced save for the OS. The phone couldn't even send MMS, but the OS and syncing through iTunes made it innovative.

Now, we just get Facebook integration and NFC Lite as updates, OH! and another version of maps. That's not a new OS, just a darn good update.

The whole screen full of colorful icons in a grid works kinda well on the iPad, not so much on a tiny 3.5" screen.

And yet people are still expecting a radically different looking new iPhone.

Once again.... You've seen the new iPhone. Stop expecting something different.

True. Everyone can expect the same thing or at best, only something ever so slightly different.

Agreed. The masses, especially on a Mac/iPhone users forum, won't understand the appeal something like the Note has, but there are enough forums found via a Google search that shows it's a marketable/sellable device; and that's the extreme end.

Once you start moving into doing more than Facebook and texting with your phone you may start want a larger screen. As of now, I can run much of my department and freelance business with my EVO over WiFi. It's long in the tooth, and if Sprint had the Note I'd consider it. If there was a mini tablet with the size of the Note and specs of the GSIII then I'd be all over it.

StyxMaker
Jul 16, 2012, 02:08 PM

Personal experience is immaterial. Virtually everyone I know has an iPhone. This week end I went to a local farmers market, every phone I saw was an iPhone.

applecomputer76
Jul 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

Translation: Apple got it right the first time. Why mess with perfection?

SpectatorHere
Jul 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Translation: Apple got it right the first time. Why mess with perfection?
How did that work out for RIM?

applecomputer76
Jul 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
I don't mind the (very) similar design. Like it's been said, when you have a "classic" design (such as certain cars), you don't have to completely change it, just refine it. The design was gorgeous from the beginning, and it still looks like it'll be so, and still much nicer than any other phone out there.
Second that.
The only thing that bothers me a little, is that they didn't seem to use all the width they could have, to make the screen a "little" wider, while keeping a narrow phone, and especially that they didn't seem to reduce the top and bottom bezel to make a bigger screen without making a phone that much longer.
I'd say it's a sure bet nobody works as hard as Apple on every millimeter, so it's bound to be limited by internal components and making it rigid enough, which they'll never compromise on.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
It doesn't look awkward at all like some of the skinny/stretched mockups so I'm satisfied. Those of you who refuse to upgrade from 4S are going to be jealous of the bigger screen and possibly the back design when you actually see/feel it in person.

AppleBoyFreak
Jul 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
Honestly, when I first saw the iPhone 4 design I was so pissed and thought it was so ugly, but then as time went on and I kept looking at the leaked Gizmodo pictures my heart changed. I fell in love with the design and still am in love with it. And honestly they could rerelease the iPhone 4S with better cameras and I would still upgrade as long as I can get the white one. It is an iPhone and no matter what I'll be getting the 16GB white one on launch day.

AnthonyHarris
Jul 16, 2012, 02:56 PM

Good for you.

Unfortunately, a bigger screen means a bigger foot print, and many people don't want a house brick in their pocket.

I've grown to love iOS, and I like that it has been refined, rather than completely redesigned since the original, and whats the betting that an LTE enabled iPhone will have at least 4 hours more battery life than your Nexus.
:p

Twixt
Jul 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
As ugly as it was weeks ago, from previous leaks

miamialley
Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 PM

That's exactly how I feel. I'm tired of waiting for a new phone. I have a 4, was waiting to see the 4s, which got delayed and then was a complete let down for me. Now here we are waiting for the next one. I'm not confident Apple will hit a home run with it.

The only thing keeping me from not making my next phone an iPhone is the ecosystem, which I am a** deep into at this point. I think Apple knows that.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm so disappointed, the same design :mad:

As ugly as it was weeks ago, from previous leaks

What's this supposed to mean? If you compare just the front panel of every generation iPhones (original through 4S), they all have the same design.

SBlue1
Jul 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
cool, thats gonna be my next phone! :) front looks great as always, lets see how that new back looks like.

gatortpk
Jul 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Why haven't I seen any posts talking about this front panel not being glued to the LCD screen? (If someone has, sorry I missed it)

Unless Apple is going backward on screen technology or quality, this isn't the actual replacement part! The replacement part has the LCD screen glued to it for additional optical quality and reduce the reflective surfaces. They've been doing this since the iPhone 4 at least. (Even the Microsoft new "Surface" says they did this with that tablet) The iPads don't do this yet, and the new Retina MacBook Pro doesn't have a front panel, just the screen itself is the front surface. I can't imagine that the new iPhone would have a separate front panel and LCD display.

JayTruth
Jul 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
I think the reason there are size discrepancies between the two is because of an optical illusion due to the white on white.

gotluck
Jul 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Screen glass tells us everything else about the phone and we can make a judgement of how much it will be improved. No upgrade necessary. :rolleyes:

meant in general but thanks. i doubt there will be anything truly surprising that we don't already know. everything gets leaked. sounds like lte + slightly bigger screen, not enough for me...:rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jul 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
How did that work out for RIM?

Thats interesting. I kind of feel that in a few years time the same thing could happen to Apple. Their market share will drop to 30% or so. Just a feeling.

Remember Nokia also? They had no competition until Apple came along. Then Apple had no competition until Google came along.

Apple could become the new RIM and Nokia.

SpectatorHere
Jul 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Why haven't I seen any posts talking about this front panel not being glued to the LCD screen? (If someone has, sorry I missed it)

Unless Apple is going backward on screen technology or quality, this isn't the actual replacement part! The replacement part has the LCD screen glued to it for additional optical quality and reduce the reflective surfaces. They've been doing this since the iPhone 4 at least. (Even the Microsoft new "Surface" says they did this with that tablet) The iPads don't do this yet, and the new Retina MacBook Pro doesn't have a front panel, just the screen itself is the front surface. I can't imagine that the new iPhone would have a separate front panel and LCD display.

This makes me suspicious as well. Some of the first leaks (maybe even the very first ones) also showed cut gorilla glass. Those photos came from a replacement parts house supposedly. That explanation made zero sense.

These could be coming from some part of a supply chain before they're glued, but you'd think they'd have completed parts to show...

Just another reason not to trust these.

NedBookPro
Jul 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
Excited, hoping this will be my first iPhone.

(I know, I'm slow to the party.)

And welcome to the party!
For sure you will be excited... the iphone truly is great.

The thing that disappoints some of us (existing iphone owners) is that we were hoping for something really new in the way of screen size. It's going to be a tougher sell for us to upgrade.

New owners, or those who are still rocking the 3GS or earlier will love it.

PlatinuM195
Jul 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger screen but I wish they had maintained the aspect ratio.

Although I don't understand why some people seem to treat screen size almost like a spec like CPU speed or the amount of RAM; as in bigger has to be better.

NedBookPro
Jul 16, 2012, 04:53 PM

My sentiment exactly.

Lancer
Jul 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
Doesn't look a hell of a lot different or bigger screen, just hope it's NOT 3.7" and we crack 4". I really want to replace my 3Gs which will be getting close to 3 years old by the end of the year. I know it's more than just screen size but I'll be some what disappointed if it's not at least a 4" screen.

lovemyapple
Jul 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
I would say its fake just because of how secretive Apple is, but does anyone remember when an iPhone was found at a bar like a few months before it came out? So yeah, never know! (I just would looooove a big screen)

NedBookPro
Jul 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
I think some of your criticism is unfair.

I mean the current gen iMac looks very similar to the one released in 2004. Macbook pros have changed very little in appearance over the past 5 or so years. I'd say not a bad thing that it looks similar to the original iPhone. I mean, they shouldn't just change the design for the sake of changing design.

Look at the ipod nano for example. People were probably too crying that it needed a design change, and since they have changed it to the smaller touch screen design, I'd say probably most people have said that apple should go back to the old design.

What I'm saying is that apple aren't being 'lazy' or have 'ran out of ideas' with these leaks if they are to be believed, but they are just sticking with what the currently believe to be the best design on the market. I mean personally, and I don't even own one, I think the 4/4S are the best looking phones out there, they just look stunning.

Do you think they should just make it look different for the sake of looking different, even if the new 'different' design looks worse?

Davie,

I think you are missing the point here. With the macbook pro for example, there are CHOICES. You can choose different screen sizes, you can choose different memory, CPU options. OS X itself is customizable to your own preferences.

With iphone this is NOT the case. It's like they are saying, we don't care if you all think a big screen is better, and that all the other phones have larger easier to read and operate displays, we will offer you one with a weird size that offers no real benefit other than to watch movies (with a magnifying glass), and you'll either like it, or buy another brand.

To me that is totally bizarre. Even Steve Jobs said something about needing sandpaper to sand down the tips of your fingers to use a 7" ipad. What about the tiny screen of the iphone???? What are we stupid?

The other problem is that lets just say you'll pan this next release, apple lock you out of some of the features in the iOS upgrade (read SIRI for ip4) which is another kick in the arse.

My iphone 4 has plenty of life in it. I'd also be happy to even PAY $50 for an iOS upgrade that included everything. You can't help but feel you're getting stiffed because you lose features for no apparent reason other than you dont have the newest model.

And on that note, I fear that in the OSX ML upgrade, I wont be able to do airplay mirroring because my MBPro is mid 2010, and doesn't make it. Why? God knows. I guess apple want me to buy a new MBPro for that feature, even though my MB is less that 1.5 years old. Preposterous.

That's my spray. Over and out.

Apple... I hope you're reading this - and I really hope you'll respond. You owe it to me, and to all the people who put your company on the map with our hard earned dollars.

lovemerc
Jul 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
The mockup design have really grown on me. Hated the two-tone at first but really don't mind it now. I understand those who want wider screen, but for me I prefer to have a phone that can be operated with one hand :D

swagi
Jul 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
Once you start moving into doing more than Facebook and texting with your phone you may start want a larger screen. As of now, I can run much of my department and freelance business with my EVO over WiFi. It's long in the tooth, and if Sprint had the Note I'd consider it. If there was a mini tablet with the size of the Note and specs of the GSIII then I'd be all over it.

So you will buy the Galaxy Note 2. Yes, it's about to be released soon and it will feature the same chip as the Galaxy S3. For me the SG3 is the perfect phone - but if you want an even bigger screen the Note2 should please you. :D

shanson27
Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
iPhone 5 possible resolution, which one do you prefer ? :)

http://i.imgur.com/eZ901.png

2bikes
Jul 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thats interesting. I kind of feel that in a few years time the same thing could happen to Apple. Their market share will drop to 30% or so. Just a feeling.

Remember Nokia also? They had no competition until Apple came along. Then Apple had no competition until Google came along.

Apple could become the new RIM and Nokia.

Any company that doesn`t innovate or underestimate the competitions innovation is destined to be the next RIM. And by innovation I mean things that get accepted by users. To be on top is even harder. As the companies get bigger and bigger, they have to innovate more and more frequently, to stay on top.

Look at all the discussions we are reading in these forums. People are not happy with what they see from Apple. They are doing great stuff but it is not enough for a lot of us. We get used to what wasnt there 5 years ago so fast, we are hungry for more.

Overall, Apple has been innovating like crazy and they will be up there for some more time.

SpectatorHere
Jul 16, 2012, 05:44 PM

Image (http://i.imgur.com/eZ901.png)

Are the diagonals all the same?

I definitely prefer the 4:3 regardless.

NedBookPro
Jul 16, 2012, 05:49 PM

Definitely 4:3

If I want to watch a 16:9 movie, I'll wait till i get home and watch it on my 70" Full Hi Def TV.

I don't want to have to carry a pair of binoculars with me to view it on the phone.

iapplelove
Jul 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
How hard would it be to sneak a part or two out of whatever Asian factory these were manufactured in..

All the parts have to come somewhere before they assemble at Foxconn

alfistas
Jul 16, 2012, 06:39 PM
I don't understand why people want the iphone to get bigger. A friend of mine just bought a 4" Sony Droid and the damn thing is HUGE and also desperately impractical!

In my opinion a phone should only be as large as to comfortably fit in your jeans pocket. Anything else defeats the purpose of a mobile PHONE.

If an iPad is what you actually need... then get a bloody iPad!

solarguy17
Jul 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
I fear this will be another dud model

"Another dud model"?? What do you mean? Every new iPhone model has sold more Then the previous model. And every model of iPhone has always out sold more then any other phone being sold at that time.
You statement makes no sense. There has been no "dud" models. Everyone is better and better. The only duds in the market have been many of the Andriod phones that are still outsold by a 3 yr old 3GS.

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
I took the iPhone 4S to be the incremental, stop-gap model until a fully redesigned iPhone 5. In a company of Apple's size, they undoubtedly have several different designs under development yet only one is ultimately mass produced. A company of Apple's size, with $100 billion in the bank, can also afford to create bogus projects in order to keep the media and competition guessing up until the last minute.

Also keep in mind that Jobs was more concerned with the product design while Cook is more concerned with operations. Leveraging the i4 design for another generation makes sense from an operations and production standpoint - Cook's fingerprint. Jobs, on the other hand, would have probably pushed for a new design. Something is afoot at Apple. The iMacs are getting stale, the refreshed Mac Pros are still a year or more behind everyone else, the iPhone 5 is looking like a longer iPhone 4S, and the only exciting thing to come out of Cupertino in a long while is the MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display.

So what on earth is Apple - the highest valued company on planet earth - doing? My bets are on a big skunkworks project that is pulling resources from all of the other product teams, a project so secretive that Apple can't post job openings related to the project. There is only one project that I could think of that would involve hardware, software, and design resources - pretty much all of the big divisions at Apple...

:apple:TV

Twixt
Jul 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why people want the iphone to get bigger. A friend of mine just bought a 4" Sony Droid and the damn thing is HUGE and also desperately impractical!

In my opinion a phone should only be as large as to comfortably fit in your jeans pocket. Anything else defeats the purpose of a mobile PHONE.

If an iPad is what you actually need... then get a bloody iPad!

I actually own an ipad but still believe iphone is too small...
iPad would be available with phoning feature, I would have it as my all in one device... (NB: I barely use iphone for phone per se)

iSayuSay
Jul 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
I think Apple has reached a tipping point in a design department when they could no longer do any radical design change/improvement.

They all look the same for the past 3 - 4 years. Their products can only be a bit thinner, a bit larger, a bit wider. But it's all look the same. Just look at the new rMBP, or the new iPad, or this iPhone leaks (if it's legit).

Not saying that it's bad. But I couldn't imagine can they do any better than this in hardware design? Or is this the peak of all time.

Technarchy
Jul 16, 2012, 06:58 PM

Ideally I prefer the current iPhone aspect ratio, 3:2.

urbanlung
Jul 16, 2012, 07:13 PM

Damn those wheels. Sure, different spokes and tires but still round! Man can't they come up with a better shape, circles are so, like, last century!

twoodcc
Jul 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
i still don't get the screen not being wider and taller

blow45
Jul 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
if this isn't the biggest planted leak in computing history to misdirect, then sure it's one of apple's most inane ideas ever. A taller remote control looking iphone that doesn't gain in width at all. Mindbogglingly stupid. I still refuse to believe they are coming up with this,.

Arelunde
Jul 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Look at those two photos - they don't even match. Supposedly, the top (white) one is the front and the bottom is the back side of the same front. The Home button is a different size. There is an extra port/hole by the ear speaker on the black version compared to the white version. Perhaps the white front is MAYBE OK, but again, IMO, a red herring.

Macman45
Jul 16, 2012, 07:51 PM

I was hoping they would finally kill off that damn home button...Why not use a software swipe solution? Less breakage, more screen.

benji888
Jul 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger screen but I wish they had maintained the aspect ratio.

Although I don't understand why some people seem to treat screen size almost like a spec like CPU speed or the amount of RAM; as in bigger has to be better.

I both agree and disagree...

The mockup design have really grown on me. Hated the two-tone at first but really don't mind it now. I understand those who want wider screen, but for me I prefer to have a phone that can be operated with one hand :D

I agree, this mockup is :cool: ...I DO NOT want a wider phone, too hard to one-hand, and it would be too wide to carry in my pocket. Save the wide phones for the android gamers, I want a real phone I can use for other things also, not a toy that is also a phone. Get a tablet if you want something wider :p

While I don't know if any of what we have seen so far will be the actual production model, a taller iPhone 16:9 aspect, but close to the same width, and, especially the metal back, (finally :D) makes sense. (I drop phones, don't want a glass back I have to cover up).

----------

16:9 aspect ratio :) ...makes the most (marketing) sense, it would be nice to have a slightly larger screen, but I don't want a wider phone in my pocket.

Dolorian
Jul 16, 2012, 08:47 PM

That's the same thing I am thinking about doing, wait out for Apple to present the new iPhone and then decide if I should give the Galaxy S3 a shot.

Rogifan
Jul 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
Damn I miss the downvote option. :(

Radio
Jul 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
Just curious, what "looks" revolutionary about this? Aside from the size difference it looks as though the next iPhone will have basically the same appearance.

just being sarcastic

downvote? nope :(

gatortpk
Jul 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
And on that note, I fear that in the OSX ML upgrade, I wont be able to do airplay mirroring because my MBPro is mid 2010, and doesn't make it. Why? God knows. I guess apple want me to buy a new MBPro for that feature, even though my MB is less that 1.5 years old. Preposterous.

The Core 2 Duo and first generation Core i5/i7 (Nehalem/Westmere) Intel Macs don't have the "Intel Quick Sync Video" built into the CPU. It is a hardware video encoder that is extremely fast (at a small cost to quality). This hardware is responsible for compressing the video stream to send over wireless connection to the Apple TV or just encoding for software at a much higher rate than a software encoder ever could (such as HandBrake).

I have an iMac and MacBook Pro both with first generation Core i7s that can't use AirPlay Mirroring natively, but they can do AirPlay Mirroring with software such as "AirParrot". The CPU will just work that much harder to do the job and the cooling fans will spin faster. This is also why the my first MacBook Pro with the very first Core2Duo (2006) can AirPlay with iTunes, but not AirPlay Mirroring (the entire display) without extra software.

fertilized-egg
Jul 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
we will offer you one with a weird size that offers no real benefit other than to watch movies

It is pretty clear why they picked the weird size. They didn't want to change the phone's physical size but wanted to give it a larger display. If you look at the current iPhone, the biggest blank space(bezel) is above and below the screen, which means a longer screen. I don't like it either but it's an understandable decision, especially when you also consider the app compatibility as well.

To me that is totally bizarre. Even Steve Jobs said something about needing sandpaper to sand down the tips of your fingers to use a 7" ipad. What about the tiny screen of the iphone???? What are we stupid?

He meant that cramming iPad's content into a smaller display would be too much as touch targets would be too small. iPhone's touch targets aren't that small because apps are made with the 44 point minimum size in mind.

With the macbook pro for example, there are CHOICES. ///

With iphone this is NOT the case.

That is indeed pretty odd especially with the smaller iPad supposedly coming out soon. Back in 2007, I thought by year 5, we'd have at least two distinctive models of iPhone with different size.

My theory is that going forward, Apple might be thinking that iPad is more important than iPhone and thus they are branching out iPad first. iPhone is the cash cow but iPad might be what Apple thinks will be the back bone of the company strategy in the coming years, but that's a complete guess without any evidence.

gatortpk
Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 PM

I like the Glass and Metal better than all plastic myself. Plastic has been used for decades because it's cheap and easy to mold. (I know it has some other advantages too) But I really think a phone without plastic looks sharper. The new design appears to be quite different and all metal on the back and sides, so I don't see why it appears to be the same design? You must be only looking at this front panel that's not even a replacement part! (The actual part will likely have a front panel and the LCD display glued together!)

What's wrong with the home button, would you rather there was no button at all? Most people complain about the lack of buttons, not a button period.

gatortpk
Jul 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
My theory is that going forward, Apple might be thinking that iPad is more important than iPhone and thus they are branching out iPad first. iPhone is the cash cow but iPad might be what Apple thinks will be the back bone of the company strategy in the coming years, but that's a complete guess without any evidence.

That's a pretty cool theory, the future iPads may virtually do away with the on screen touch keyboard increasing the input options with speech. This is a major limitation I see in the iOS devices right now, because they are no match to this Apple Wireless Keyboard I'm using now.

Perhaps when the ARM CPUs in the future get to be 10-100 times as powerful as todays Quad Core Intel IvyBridge CPUs, Siri, or some other input technology, will be all local (built in without need for Server support) and more customizable to you and your voice and lifestyle. I think at this point the iOS devices may really shine as a useful personal assistant. (Eventually getting as useful as a human assistant, or in some cases – better)

Anyone who thinks that mobile CPUs won't be that powerful ever are not paying attention to history. The 867 MHz Dual Core Power Mac G4 had a GeekBench score of 703 to 751, and the iPad 2 with a dual core CPU has a GeekBench of 749. They have virtually the same score, and are both dual core, but one uses perhaps 100 times as much power (watts) and it is only 8.5 years older! I see a mobile device at least 10 times as powerful has todays MacBook Pro in 10-13 years. (I don't know if 10 times is enough for local speech recognition and minimal AI to be useful, but better software and 1000 times the speed should be, and that's less than 19 years away.)

Juan007
Jul 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
Phone looks amazing, and probably the perfect size.

Bigger is not better, otherwise we'd all be walking around with 80 inch LCD phones...

pkson
Jul 17, 2012, 01:42 AM
I've posted this before, but still haven't fond a good answer...

Has anyone found any trace of the new purported screen resolution in iOS 6?
People found a retina sized bookmark image for iPad before, and somewhere in the iOS code, there's usually some indication of what's to come.. right?

Anything?

Virinprew
Jul 17, 2012, 01:45 AM

Exactly what I think.
iPhone comes to its middle age and there is nothing more to be added.
The next step would be outside the box of smartphone nowadays that is a higher level of invention.
Like MP3 player becomes a part of Phone or presentation 'slide' becomes a software in computer.

hickabob
Jul 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
Looking forward to this!

cmichaelb
Jul 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
We haven't seen much at all. And we've been here before with the last iPhone roll-out. People make counterfeits based off of rumors and put them out as real. There is no disputing this. We may even see major aftermarket companies bet thousands of dollars on a leak.

So, we have all that on the one hand, and one weird form factor case design that's shown up in three or four places now. Not even a phone, just some metal and plastic that are in the shape of what's claimed to be the new iPhone. Oh, it just so happens this weird case follows speculation from someone on a rumor site EXACTLY.

Apparently that guy (if anyone wants to find the post they can)--who was talking about maintaining "retina-ess" with a 4 inch display--nailed the it. He just figured it out. He argued they could just add another row of icons. EDIT: Here's the first mention I find off hand on April 9th at the Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5 Most people, I think, made quick note of how it would break every app and didn't take it seriously until the predictable blurry photos showed up. Now most everyone just assumes this is it. (BTW, the blurry photos aren't even all the same design, we can now see there are discrepancies...the noise canceling mic hole between camera and flash, the placement of the front-facing camera.)

If these rumors are true:

-Every app will have to either be stretched, boxed, or ported.
This is simply enough, basically letter box apps that don't update to the new screen size.

-New connector means many existing accessories will not work for this phone.
Very valid point. I know I have a ton of accessories for mine having owned iPods and iPhones for years. The dock connector is outdated in it's current form. they love thinner form factors and the dock connector is in the way. They will make a smaller one. They released a $10 adapter for the new magsafe connector so they could do the same thing here.

-Mini-iPad rumors, which now have reached credible sources like the NY Times, wouldn't use this new aspect ratio for some reason.
If the rumors are true, it's the same resolution as iPad 1 & 2 and aspect ratio. iPad 3 uses the same aspect ratio as the previous generations. The phone doesn't factor into this at all.

-Cook's "one screen size, one resolution" given at D10. He was talking at the time, and didn't mention the future, but now we're supposed to believe not only the size is changing, but also the resolution....even more, the aspect ratio?????
Every CURRENT phone. No where does he mention future plans. IF they change the screen size, within a couple of years they will only have one screen size again.

EDIT: Here is Tim's exact quote: "One thing is that we're not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it's pretty simple if you're a developer."

I may be proven wrong, but I don't think this is anything but fake.

You have excellent points. I tend to agree with you but the iPhone 4 form factor is almost two years old and based on Apple's past patterns, its due for a major revision. Screen size is one area they can make a huge change. It would nice to have a dedicated area for notifications etc.

dokujaryu
Jul 17, 2012, 08:53 AM

The Droid Incredible 4G LTE is a "barely" premium phone that has a 4" screen. The specs that lower it from premium is the S-LCD panel (instead of S-LCD2 with IPS like on the One X) and the Snapdragon S4 is clocked at 1.2 instead of 1.5, and it has 1 GB of RAM instead of 2.

The CPU and RAM is hard to notice, and I was getting comparable scores on javascript benchmarks between the Galaxy SIII and Droid Incredible 4G LTE. So, really, the good, but not awesome screen is the only thing really holding it back. Better than any pentile screen by a long shot tho.

The design flaws on it aren't too severe. The camera, like most android phones, sticks out a little and isn't protected by something replaceable like the iPhone, so you kinda need a case. Also, you need a case because the device creaks when you squeeze its sides cause the back is removable. Also the screen changes colors when you press on the edges off the screen. So, yeah, build quality is not as good as the iPhone, but with an otter box on it, it's hard to notice.

Verizon is currently way overcharging for this phone on contract. I've heard of people getting it for as little as $109, dunno how tho.

dokujaryu
Jul 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
That's the same thing I am thinking about doing, wait out for Apple to present the new iPhone and then decide if I should give the Galaxy S3 a shot.

I have a Galaxy S3 right now and I can tell you even iPhone 4S is superior in most ways. The advantages to the S3 are:

- A somewhat better forward facing camera and faster camera software that has more features. I like taking pictures of myself holding my son, so this comes in handy sometimes.

- Expandable storage that is fast and large (MicroSDXC). But with everything going cloud these days, I'm not sure how much anyone cares. Still, the fact that it both allows for more storage and uses the fast stuff is very confidence boosting that you are more future proof.

Those are really the only true advantages I can put on the phone against the 4S. The rest are all subject to use. The differences in the rear camera are a wash. I can't give it points for a replaceable battery since the 4S lasts 3 days for me and this one can't get through half a day without additional charging. Android vs. iOS is mostly a wash other than fragmentation causing games like Angry Birds Space to have a nearly unusably small UI (sprites were made for lower rez screen). Build quality is also pretty subjective, I'd say the 4S edges over the S3 simply because it has metal construction and the buttons feel slightly better quality. The plastic on the back of the S3 is very nice to the touch tho. The speed feels the same between the two and on iOS 6 Safari is benching comparable numbers to the US S3.

I want to make myself very clear tho, the advantages of this phone over other ANDROIDS is a much better picture. The only real competition is the HTC One X which has a MUCH better screen, but sacrifices a lot of expandability. If the Verizon S3 had the HTC One X's screen, shrunk down to 4 - 4.3", had an unlocked boot loader and something like AOKP was supported on it without voiding the warranty, and the battery lasted for 48 hours with 8 hours of screen time: THAT would be a compelling alternative to the iPhone 4S. Which is why I'm very interested in the rumored Motorola RAZR HD, which is supposed to have a 720P IPS screen at 4.3" with a snapdragon S4 and the RAZR MAXX's battery. But this is just a rumor.

As of right now, the Android I really want to experience Sony Xperia SX (or maybe GX) in Japan. The Galaxy S3 is going back to AT&T this week.

nick_elt
Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM
The Droid Incredible 4G LTE is a "barely" premium phone that has a 4" screen. The specs that lower it from premium is the S-LCD panel (instead of S-LCD2 with IPS like on the One X) and the Snapdragon S4 is clocked at 1.2 instead of 1.5, and it has 1 GB of RAM instead of 2.

The CPU and RAM is hard to notice, and I was getting comparable scores on javascript benchmarks between the Galaxy SIII and Droid Incredible 4G LTE. So, really, the good, but not awesome screen is the only thing really holding it back. Better than any pentile screen by a long shot tho.

The design flaws on it aren't too severe. The camera, like most android phones, sticks out a little and isn't protected by something replaceable like the iPhone, so you kinda need a case. Also, you need a case because the device creaks when you squeeze its sides cause the back is removable. Also the screen changes colors when you press on the edges off the screen. So, yeah, build quality is not as good as the iPhone, but with an otter box on it, it's hard to notice.

Verizon is currently way overcharging for this phone on contract. I've heard of people getting it for as little as $109, dunno how tho.

Im not sure if its available outside the us? I have never seen it here in europe... Does it even work on the gsm frquencies over here?

dokujaryu
Jul 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
Im not sure if its available outside the us? I have never seen it here in europe... Does it even work on the gsm frquencies over here?

Ahh, my bad. This is a Verizon only phone. http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/droid-incredible-4g-lte-review/

The next GSM small/fast/IPS android of interest in my book is the Sony Xperia SX.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3023645/sony-xperia-sx-hands-on-video

gadget123
Jul 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
"Another dud model"?? What do you mean? Every new iPhone model has sold more Then the previous model. And every model of iPhone has always out sold more then any other phone being sold at that time.
You statement makes no sense. There has been no "dud" models. Everyone is better and better. The only duds in the market have been many of the Andriod phones that are still outsold by a 3 yr old 3GS.

Because people bought the Iphone 4S anyway. I mean Siri is cool, the camera is quite good.

But the Iphone 4 is just as good, if not better as the battery life is more usable.

Anki
Jul 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
I can work with the current screen size but if they're gonna change it up they better make it wider too.

Isn't the readability one of the most important thing on a smartphone? To give the iP5 a design upgrade without thinking about that just doesn't makes sense.

jasvncnt
Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
I cant believe I just read this entire thread. I made the move to Android a year ago. I'm glad I did especially after seeing this, if this is the actual "new" design. I got a little bored of the phone and ios. Just needed a change. Im not going to give any reasons why I prefer Android now. Dont think it matters because they are MY reasons and what I want. To each their own. Many of you make some great points on the whole Android/iphone thing. But it all comes down to opinion and preference.
This is just MY opinion..flame if ya feel the need.

TonyC28
Jul 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
just being sarcastic

downvote? nope :(

Oh sorry. I guess I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

solarguy17
Jul 18, 2012, 06:53 AM
Because people bought the Iphone 4S anyway. I mean Siri is cool, the camera is quite good.

But the Iphone 4 is just as good, if not better as the battery life is more usable.

So any other words its a dud in no one but your opinion?
Also, they upgrade all the internals of the phone with the exception being the amount of RAM (I think).
If they put the same phone internals in a shiny new case their would have been no complaining.

And for the record I don't notice a difference in battery life compared to iPhone.

aliensporebomb
Jul 18, 2012, 10:20 AM
Although it APPEARS this is the real deal I'd be real wary.

Remember how the 'iPhone 5' mockups were like a kick to the head when the iPhone 4S first came out.

Digital Skunk
Jul 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
So you will buy the Galaxy Note 2. Yes, it's about to be released soon and it will feature the same chip as the Galaxy S3. For me the SG3 is the perfect phone - but if you want an even bigger screen the Note2 should please you. :D

Just want I needed to hear. :D

Berti10
Aug 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
I really can't understand, why people wanna have a much larger screen and complete new front panel. Even when you have a bigger screen, it is not much fun enjoying movies and Meanwhile it won't fit well in your pocket. That's why android sucks. There are so many different screen sizes out there, that no app can really feel nativ on any device. That's why I love apple. There is one size for iPhone and iPod touches and one size for iPads. So everything feels native on that devices. First time, I saw that large screen, I was very confused to add a new screen size, but I hope they use it for ads and notifications. I think, the notification center does a great job but in most cases, it disables buttons, when it flips down. Same about ads. They use so much space, so you can't enjoy that content. so it might be great, if they still support 3.5" app and use that more space in the way, I explained it.