PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iOS 6 Beta 3 to Developers

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-releases-ios-6-beta-3-to-developers/)

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 6, the company's next-generation mobile operating system set to launch "this fall", presumably alongside new iPhone hardware in the September-October timeframe.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/devcenterbeta3-500x226.png

The third beta, which arrives as Build 10A5355d, comes three weeks after the previous developer version (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/25/apple-releases-ios-6-beta-2-to-developers/) of Build 10A5338d.

We'll update this post with additional information on the new release as it surfaces.

Users are tracking new changes both in the forum thread associated with this article and in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1405178). One key addition (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15259391&postcount=4) observed so far is a new section in the Settings app for Maps, allowing users to change the volume of the navigation voice, set distances to display in miles or kilometers, set map labels to display either in the local language or always in English, and set map label sizes to either "normal" or "large".

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ios_6_beta_3_maps_settings.jpg

Other changes include:

- Roadwork and traffic accidents showing up in Maps app
- Answer and Decline buttons for FaceTime calls have returned
- iMessage on iPad now accepting phone number as valid contact info
- Greater 3D Flyover coverage in Maps
- Glyphs for bookmarks, Reading List, and history in Safari
- Auto-brightness changes gradually

Update: Also released today: Xcode Developer Preview 3 and Apple TV Software beta 3.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 6 Beta 3 to Developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-releases-ios-6-beta-3-to-developers/)

Jazwire
Jul 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
Installing now...

Allenbf
Beta 3, this usually means it's pretty much ready, right? Usually?

bse3
Mine doesn't show it?!

/Edit: Showed up after reboot.

distemp
With each beta release...my urge to try iOS 6 rises...

sbrhwkp3
Jul 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Time to try iOS6 I think!

brendu
Jul 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Non Developers, are you really going to pay $99 to get iOS 6 early? That seems a bit silly to me. I am just as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new gadgets and software to play with but why pay a hundred dollars now for something that will be free in a couple months...

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Non Developers, are you really going to pay $99 to get iOS 6 early? That seems a bit silly to me. I am just as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new gadgets and software to play with but why pay a hundred dollars now for something that will be free in a couple months...

I've seen plenty that do and then they complain when all the features don't work as advertised. People need to understand what a pre-release is. Beta versions will have bugs and other issues. You will have incompatibilities and other problems.

Patriot24

We have a ways to go. October is probable.

bushido

iOS 6 beta doesnt seem to be tied to a dev account, so as long as you can find a working ispw you are good to go

(not that i'm doing it - i'll wait for the final)

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
Non Developers, are you really going to pay $99 to get iOS 6 early?
no

delonh92
Jul 16, 2012, 12:14 PM

they're other ways people can get to use the betas ;)

iParis
Jul 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
iOS 6 beta doesnt seem to be tied to a dev account, so as long as you can find a working ispw you are good to go

So like how iOS 3 was?

rorschach
It's labeled as "iOS 6 beta 2" in Software Update for me for some reason, but updating anyway.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Nope. And we won't see it released until the fall. Like the other iOS updates, it'll be released the day that the new iPhones start shipping. With no new iPhone announced yet, you're going to have to wait a while before we see the full release.

Examples: iOS 4 was released the day the iPhone 4 began shipping. iOS 5 was released the day the iPhone 4S started shipping.

dannyyankou
Jul 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
I don't know if it's my Internet connection, but it's not showing up for me yet. I guess I'll wait an hour.

ballsop
Jul 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mine says beta 2 also. Oh well, will download it anyway once I get home

tarasis
Jul 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
4S reporting Beta 3, iPad 3 reporting Beta 2 (guessing its a typo) :)

rockinrocker

Is this correct???

AngerDanger
I'm excited to learn whether or not beta three fixes the chameleon status bar inconsisies; the color changing could actually look good if it was constant.

waterskier2007
Jul 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
for some reason mine is showing iOS 6 beta 2

http://i.imgur.com/bUPI0.jpg

This is happening on my new iPad and iPhone 4S

MadGoat
Not on the developer site yet. Still has beta 2. Wanted to read the release notes first.

newagemac
I haven't been this excited about iOS since introduction of the App Store! Well it's not just iOS I'm excited about. It's the combination of iOS 6 and Mountain Lion and iCloud. First time I will feel like I have a nicely integrated experience whether in the office or mobile between all my computers and devices.

Bring it on Apple!

Burton8219
Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Not on the developer site yet. Still has beta 2. Wanted to read the release notes first.
Try OTA

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Downloading as we speak. Beta 2 was great!

jontech
Jul 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Grabbing now, hope they fixed random crashes in the Phone app :)

MadGoat
Jul 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Try OTA

Still no B3 release notes (that I can click on or manually type in a browser) it's like an unclickable link.

briansanderson
Jul 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
also downloading as I speak. will report on changes if I experience any.

mbarriault
Jul 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
At work and expecting an important phone call, so can't update yet.

Are there any Canadians who can check to see if they've fixed turn-by-turn directions yet? Beta 2 had the new style, but they didn't live update and Siri didn't read instructions.

eaglesfanone

Unless you installed it on a retina iPad :p

Bevz
Downloading on ipad... Says beta 2 not beta 3 lol

PracticalMac
ETA for live?

Mid August?

sascha h-k
here it shows also beta 2 ..

(on the account)

Jordo5150
Jul 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Installing on an iPhone 4 (AT&T) and Retina iPad 32gb Wifi. Mine says Beta 3 on both. Will report back when installed.

Anti-Lucifer
Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 PM

I reported a bunch of bugs -

1) Facetime incoming call bug - can't even answer the call because there is no answer button!

2) wifi issues - esp with VPN connectivity

3) Safari bug when loading certain web pages, it completely locks up. You can kill the app in the task switching tray but it will still crash until a restart

4) Email app; sometimes it will not load any email content even if connected to the internet.

5) the bug with the "no service"

6) a bug with the auto brightness in which is will go up but not back down in dim ambient lighting

7) and there are a few minor UI issues as well also reported.

Beta 2 is FAR from being great or good enough!

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Showing b3 for me (iPad 3) coming in at 393 MB (UK)

rorschach
Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
ETA for live?

Mid August?

I'd guess beginning of October.

DribbleCastle
In my experience, Beta 2 was far worse than Beta 1. I hope most of my bugs get squashed in todays Beta 3.

FYI. My iPhone 4S is also showing beta 2 during the update (OTA). I'm thinking its just a small typo/misstep from Apple.

jontech

1) Facetime incoming call bug - can't even answer the call because there is no answer button!

3) Safari bug when loading certain web pages, it completely locks up. You can kill the app in the task switching tray but it will still crash until a restart

4) Email app; sometimes it will not load any email content even if connected to the internet.

6) a bug with the auto brightness in which is will go up but not back down in dim ambient lighting

Agreed, maps was slow to over 3G compared to Google maps

Tom8
Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
ETA for live?

Mid August?

Unlikely. As many have already said, iOS 6 will launch alongside the new iPhone. So you're looking at around Mid-September at the earliest.

Bevz

Yeah i reported a bunch as long as my arm (retina ipad) so hoping beta 3 is a bit more stable...

hppy29

I did not suffer any of those issues in Beta 2, only thing I had was if I had too many apps open and tried to use the camera the camera app would crash. But then I would be surprised if version 2 or 3 of a beta was good enough

cvaldes
ETA for live?

Mid August?
Unlikely. The sixth-generation iPhone will probably release in September or early October. iOS 6 should be released within days of that new handset.

The MacRumors article touches on this in the first sentence. Moreover, Apple said a "fall release" at the WWDC in June for iOS 6.

Anyhow, it's a little too early. It's still Beta 3, typically Apple has a couple of Release Candidates before their Gold Master version.

MadGoat
Jul 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
people installing without reading the release notes... Scary.

MacBookPro13"
Jul 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Downloading now, hopefully we will see even more improvements & stability in this build. Beta 2 was very good.

JeremieWeldin
Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 PM

What are release notes? :)

callaghan001

Incorrect - For a beta version to work it must be installed on a device which is tied to at least 1 valid developer account.

Do not try to install the beta version if your device is not a registered developer device - you could brick your device.

Nicolas4ever
every time a new beta releases i want to update with iOS 6. But i cant because i preserve my baseband and until there is a tool im stuck-_-

Anti-Lucifer
Jul 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Agreed, maps was slow to over 3G compared to Google maps

absolutely agree - the maps were pure ******!

I hope there will be much improvments in the mapping genre from apple because I do actually like google map. It's extremely great vs what we have right now on iOS.

BUT the 3D navigation is pure awesome. COmpared to navigon, it's really smooth and fast and looks great! Of course there are so limited info on the screen as well compared to navigon.

----------

I did not suffer any of those issues in Beta 2, only thing I had was if I had too many apps open and tried to use the camera the camera app would crash. But then I would be surprised if version 2 or 3 of a beta was good enough

I forgot to mention this was on iPad (2)/(3).

Also, there is a bug with the bluetooth as well! If you are streaming music, you can't use the camera app. So I tried to record video while playing music and the camera app shows a closed shutter never responding until I quit the app, kill it from the task menu, and before restarting the camera app, I have to pause the music.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
Incorrect - For a beta version to work it must be installed on a device which is tied to at least 1 valid developer account.

Do not try to install the beta version if your device is not a registered developer device - you could brick your device.

are you sure? i could install iOS6b1 on my old iPhone 4 without a problem, didnt update to beta2 tho. did they change it?

Jordo5150
Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM

What are the release notes going to say to stop anyone from installing?

*In this version nothing works. We have fixed no bugs since the last version, and in fact have made the battery life worse.

If you have Beta 2 it's a no brainer to upgrade regardless of what the release notes say.

Tom8
Jul 16, 2012, 12:37 PM

Incorrect. It's been possible to active iOS 6 betas without UDID registration. Restore to 5.1.1, set up as new device. Option key (Shift on Windows) + Click on "Check for Upgrade" and point the upgrader to an iOS6 beta IPSW and voila, iOS 6 beta installed.

rorschach

Are there any Canadians who can check to see if they've fixed turn-by-turn directions yet? Beta 2 had the new style, but they didn't live update and Siri didn't read instructions.

Is turn-by-turn supposed to be available in Canada? If so I can check for you once the update finishes.

OverByThere
are you sure? i could install iOS6b1 on my old iPhone 4 without a problem, didnt update to beta2 tho. did they change it?

Is there any chance your UDID is still in your developer account somewhere? Seems unlikely that Apple would allow this..

MadGoat
I checked again, now it's saying Beta 2 and I am on Beta 2 already :P

eaglesfanone
Jul 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
finally popped up for me reading beta 3 (rhyme time!)

....now why i was so excited for a new beta release is beyond me :)

dannyyankou
Jul 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
BTW, the update requires 1.7 gb of free space. I had to delete so much. Have to resync later. :(

jontech
Jul 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
finally popped up for me reading beta 3 (rhyme time!)

....now why i was so excited for a new beta release is beyond me :)

I am as I am using my primary work phone to test :)

GenesisST
I've seen plenty that do and then they complain when all the features don't work as advertised. People need to understand what a pre-release is. Beta versions will have bugs and other issues. You will have incompatibilities and other problems.

I had an account until recently, mostly because I naively thought I'd have time to develop one myself. Fortunately, I'm on an iOS project at work now, so no need to keep my own unused account.

That said, I never complained if something didn't work, as this was a beta. I also made the effort to report a few bugs when I noticed them. Every time, it was already reported, but I did do my part.

Now with Beta 3, it's getting close to test on simulator only onto a real device and I might use my own iPad 3 for that. :D

slicecom

*In this version nothing works. We have fixed no bugs since the last version, and in fact have made the battery life worse.

If you have Beta 2 it's a no brainer to upgrade regardless of what the release notes say.

But hyperbole is just so much fun! :rolleyes:

mbarriault
Is turn-by-turn supposed to be available in Canada? If so I can check for you once the update finishes.

The iOS 6 Maps entry page on apple.ca explicitly refers to Siri, 3D views, and live updating. The screenshots also show what Maps do in the US, but the functions didn't work in Canada.

Bevz
I checked again, now it's saying Beta 2 and I am on Beta 2 already :P

Mine says same, im just gonna let it do what it wants to do then check the build number after its finished... Fingers crossed! ;)

kirky29
Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
BTW, the update requires 1.7 gb of free space. I had to delete so much. Have to resync later. :(

Yeah mine says I need more space! Gotta delete some old pictures I guess!

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Is there any chance your UDID is still in your developer account somewhere? Seems unlikely that Apple would allow this..

nope ...

"Though we certainly wouldn’t recommend this, it turns out you can install iOS 6 beta onto an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, without using a developer account and without having to deal with UDID activation. It’s actually a lot easier to do than you’d think, and as long as the iOS device meets the compatibility requirements and you don’t mind the potentially iffy nature of the process, CultOfMac says you’re good to go."

source osxdaily

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
nope ...

"Though we certainly wouldn’t recommend this, it turns out you can install iOS 6 beta onto an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, without using a developer account and without having to deal with UDID activation. It’s actually a lot easier to do than you’d think, and as long as the iOS device meets the compatibility requirements and you don’t mind the potentially iffy nature of the process, CultOfMac says you’re good to go."

source osxdaily

I stand corrected, nice find though! :)

zhivkom
Jul 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
There is Maps Settings in the Settings app.

arnoz
Jul 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Weird, only beta 2 is available through my dev account :confused:

aardwolf
Jul 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
Woo woo! 3D maps work in Downtown Memphis!

epmatsw
Jul 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Man, it's been preparing this update for a while on my phone...starting to get worried...

Edit: Never mind, it finally finished after about 20 minutes of spinning.

foodog

Yes typically the GM is next

nefan65

Same here. I'm sure it's being rolled out across all their servers. Just give it a few, and I'm sure it'll show up.

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Man, it's been preparing this update for a while on my phone...starting to get worried...

Took about 10 mins on my iPad 3, it's fine, don't worry (:

mbarriault

iOS 5 has 6 beta releases. We're still a ways off yet.

snowcrash

Not even close.

waterskier2007
Jul 16, 2012, 12:48 PM

Thank god. The ability to turn off voice directions in navigation

mms13
First thing I've noticed on beta 3 is that the Maps app has taken a huge leap backwards and is not displaying any streets for me
http://i.imgur.com/BDA94.jpg

satyrica
installed and running, reports as build 10A5355d.

BuddyTronic

I'm doing it right from the iOS device - Settings - General - Software Update

MadGoat

ever hear the bitching and moaning when they disabled facetime last year... that's why I don't install until I have read the release notes. Also B2 is rock solid on my end.

PBG4 Dude
I stand corrected, nice find though! :)

I had forgotten to add my 4S to my account while I was installing iOS6 b1 and was happy that it wasn't bricked! :D I added the UDID to my account post haste though so I won't know if laters betas have this same unlocked-ness.

Nungster

While beta 2 fixed a big issue on my 3rd Gen iPad, I discovered many more issues while using it. I am happy to see beta 3 is here, but would not imply that third time's a charm.

Baz1205
Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
At first my iPad 3 GSM showed beta 2 available so I rebooted as I'm already on that and now it just says my current IOS is up to date. I'm in the UK.

usman.rz
Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
The iOS 6 Maps entry page on apple.ca explicitly refers to Siri, 3D views, and live updating. The screenshots also show what Maps do in the US, but the functions didn't work in Canada.

Turn by turn directions started working for me in Toronto on beta 2 this past weekend. I only got to try it driving around the GTA, but it worked pretty well.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 16, 2012, 12:52 PM

ooo what are the settings? Off-line mode?!! (yeah, I'm a dreamer :p)

Nungster
I just logged in and only see beta 2

jontech
Turn by turn directions started working for me in Toronto on beta 2 this past weekend. I only got to try it driving around the GTA, but it worked pretty well.

For me it has been way more accurate showing my current location then Google was...

ECUpirate44
Jul 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
You could brick your device.

completly false.

mbarriault

Voice directions didn't work for me in beta 2 at all, so be grateful :P

Hrm. Here in St. John's it would show the directions, and update to the next turn as I arrived at it (which isn't very helpful), but I didn't get the GPS-like 3D view nor voice directions.

Edit: I take this back. It is now working on beta 2!

Unrealtechno
First thing I've noticed on beta 3 is that the Maps app has taken a huge leap backwards and is not displaying any streets for me

Is there any better coverage of Baltimore? That screenshot freaked me out for a sec lol

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 PM

I reported a bunch as well but its still great. If you are expecting it to be bug free and are contributing greatness, in a beta stage, to bugs; you will never be satisfied.

jonsuh
Downloading as we speak!

Seems that the official release notes URL is unavailable...

cerb
maps app uses areal images from bing in germany now, much better quality than the previous really bad satellite photos

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Installed on iPad 3.. roads are showing for me, but the satellite maps are still terrible (for me in Nottingham at least) http://mby.me/vN

Lance-AR
Jul 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
I was able to put beta 1 on a iPad 3 and 3GS without registering them. I tested some things and then put them back to 5.1.1. When beta 2 came out I put it on the same iPad 3 and an iPhone 4. I had to add the UDIDs to my dev account before they would initialize. If you took advantage of the unregistered loophole during the first if beta 1 I would recommend sticking with OTA updates and be prepared to revert back to 5.1.1 or pay a website to register your device.

As a side note, after reverting the 3GS back to 5.1.1 I had to delete it's iCloud backup before I could sync to iCloud again.

nigameash
Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
The update showed up as beta 2 on my 4S. I went ahead and updated it, hopefully it was a typo.

atMac
Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
I had many apps hanging and crashing with my iPhone 4 with B2. To the point that I had to reboot about every 6 hours. I think it was a bunch of memory leaks. If I opened the new Podcast app i had to literally wait 30seconds before the UI was responding to touch. And the Music app would have a VERY long lag or just not respond at all.

Timeraner
Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
It's almost done updating now.

ballsop
Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Installed on iPad 3.. roads are showing for me, but the satellite maps are still terrible (for me in Nottingham at least) http://mby.me/vN

I'm in the UK too and have been really disappointed by our coverage although I'm downloading beta 3 now. We both know how ***** the weathers been this year so for apple to try and get a picture without cloud is trying to compete with apple without lawsuit.

WeegieMac
Jul 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
My 4S is downloading beta 3 now through Software Update, I'll need to restore my iPad to beta 2 and upgrade that later. I found beta 2 a little sluggish on the new iPad, mainly using the gesture to pinch back to the home screen ... it stuttered too much for my liking at times.

KdParker
It's labeled as "iOS 6 beta 2" in Software Update for me for some reason, but updating anyway.

was IOS 6 beta 3 for me.

Also notice this was not list on the developer site yet.

jontech
Found a bug

When I go into Passbook it sets the brightness up really high (i turn off auto brightness)

obitow
Jul 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
I think the download link for iPod touch is https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/download.action?path=/ios/ios_6_beta_3/ios_6_beta_3__ipod_touch_4th_generation__10a5355d.dmg

Actually what I just did was replace the following fields in beta 2 download link: https: //developer. apple .com/devcenter/download.action?path=/ios/ios_6_beta_2/ios_6_beta_2__ipod_touch_4th_generation__10a5338d.dmg
It seems to work

MacFly123
Jul 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
What happened to that screen shot in the article? The status bar has a blue wash color to it instead of being black. Weird :confused:

nigameash
Under music and videos in settings, the home sharing option now simply shows your itunes account email.

diddl14
The $99 also enables to install whatever app you like on a device - without jail breaking... that might make it a bit more compelling.

rorschach
Jul 16, 2012, 01:06 PM

Just tried it and it seems to work fine in Toronto in Beta 3.

iLikeTurtles!
beta 3 any bugs? or stick with beta 2?

Saladinos
Maps settings

Sneakz
Jul 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
Found a bug

When I go into Passbook it sets the brightness up really high (i turn off auto brightness)
Might not be a bug. It might turn the brightness up to make the barcodes easier to read.

Or it might be a bug.

satyrica
Jul 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
After installing b3 and subsequently rebooting for good measure.... My lockscreen image is gone, and I can't seem to set it now. Anyone able to reproduce this? :confused:

Saladinos
Jul 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hybrid mode maps MUCH better.

Standard maps also show more details for me.

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
After installing b3 and subsequently rebooting for good measure.... My lockscreen image is gone, and I can't seem to set it now. Anyone able to reproduce this? :confused:

Just changed mine and it works fine.. (iPad 3)

rorschach
Jul 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
ooo what are the settings? Off-line mode?!! (yeah, I'm a dreamer :p)

-Navigation Voice Volume: None, Low, Normal, Loud

-Distances: In Miles, In Kilometers

-Map Labels: Always English on/off (turning it off shows the labels in the local language of whatever place you're looking at)

-Label Size: Normal, Large

waterskier2007
Jul 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Maps settings

weird, in my settings the voice volume does not show up (iPad Retina) but it does on my iPhone 4S

Craiger
Jul 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Am I missing something or do they STILL not have exit numbers on interstates? If it is not in by release, this alone might make maps unusable in most circumstances for me.

benguild
Jul 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Safari feels snappier jkdidntdownload

cerb
maps app uses areal images from bing in germany now, much better quality than the previous really bad satellite photos

or at least they use the same image sources

CaryMacGuy

I found this to be the case too...I have never been an Apple developer and I have an iPhone 4 that has never been a development device and I have no problem installing iOS 6 on it. I just update to it using the IPSW I downloaded and it works like a champ!

tonyshaker
At long last we have the beta 3 its been a journey. Ahahahahahaha

im downloading it as i type.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

jontech
Jul 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
Might not be a bug. It might turn the brightness up to make the barcodes easier to read.

Or it might be a bug.

You may be right

though it doesn't turn it back down when you hit the home screen or go to another app

sebastien19
I have no idea if its new from beta 3 but found that during a facetime call you can now check battery status and clock just my tapping on the screen i used to go check in notification center

faster and doesn't pause the conversation !!

jontech
Safari feels snappier jkdidntdownload

it does, considerably faster

let me check out ESPN Videos

benguild
Jul 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Are they ever going to make it so that you can import an iCloud Backup and save your keychain from your old device?

pogiboi
iPhone 4S DL Link: http://adcdownload.apple.com//ios/ios_6_beta_3/ios_6_beta_3__iphone_4s__10a5355d.dmg

hellomoto4
Visual bug in Notes (trashcan is very close to arrow)
Also, no voice options for Maps here in Australia. Mustn't be getting voice I guess.

Bevz
Jul 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ipad3, goto videos and select a shared libray and it just crashes back to home screen... Tried restsrt but still doing it.. :( anyone else seeing this?

Saladinos
Jul 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Roadwork info in maps (is this new?)

pogiboi
Jul 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Dev Center now updated

OverByThere
BUG: Tweeting with an image (via Photos.app) doesn't attach the photo to the tweet..
Anyone else reproduce?

swordfish5736
Release notes are up

satyrica
Jul 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
Release notes are up

where?

pogiboi
Jul 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Facetime Bug Fixed!

iMessage & FaceTime

FIXED: The Answer and Decline buttons are missing when receiving calls in landscape orientations.

unplugme71
Just finished downloading using OTA on my iPhone 4S 32GB Black w/ AT&T. Preparing update now.

Shows it as iOS 6 beta 3.

mikeds86
iMessage in B3 for iPad now allows you to add your phone number for messaging.

Here's what your phone will say after you activate your number on iPad: http://www.imgshare.pl/view.php?id=YP07

Notes:
-Notifications go to both iPad and iPhone iMessage.
-Clears new message notification on all devices after you've read it on one or the other.
-Any new messages sync to both devices instantly, does not copy over conversations prior to Beta3.

JeremieWeldin
Jul 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
YES! Sparrow is displaying the emails normally again in this beta! Last beta reformatted every email into one column of text.

waterskier2007
Jul 16, 2012, 01:20 PM

Here's what your phone will say after you activate your number on iPad: http://www.imgshare.pl/view.php?id=YP07

This was working in beta 2. Source: I was using it

OverByThere

Annoyingly I can't see this, I only get the option to add emails?

Mherm88

I wish this would work in ML, it's like the one thing I'm super excited for

Gav2k
Jul 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Bugs reported so far...

1, noise cancellation during calls does not seem to work.

2, echo during voice calls now too

3, passport wacks brightness up full

swordfish5736
Jul 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
where?

It looks like the direct link from the OTA update still doesn't work but they are up in the developer portal as well as the full ipsw's

yeah
Jul 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
Apple responded to my request!

I sent them a note saying "add a settings tab for maps and settings".

I'm not trolling.

----------

I hope there is an option to reset the maps app.

swordfish5736
Jul 16, 2012, 01:24 PM

Turn off iMessage on your iPhone and iPad. Re-enable on your phone let it activate and everything then turn it back on on your iPad. This worked for my devices on my first try but took a few tries to get it to work on other devices

mikeds86
Jul 16, 2012, 01:25 PM

Make sure you are using the same Apple ID between iPhone and iPad, and that it shows your phone number on your iPhone iMessage.

badcrumble
Jul 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Maps is now showing MTA subway stops in New York City.

No transit directions... yet. But I suspect they'll be there by the final release.

theBigD23
Jul 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
BUG: Tweeting with an image (via Photos.app) doesn't attach the photo to the tweet..
Anyone else reproduce?

Works for me.

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
Turn off iMessage on your iPhone and iPad. Re-enable on your phone let it activate and everything then turn it back on on your iPad. This worked for my devices on my first try but took a few tries to get it to work on other devices

Ah, I don't have iOS6 on my iPhone, looks like I'll have to wait, no biggie but thanks for pointing it out :)

jontech
Jul 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
ESPN videos load way faster now on Safari mobile

MacFan1957
Jul 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
Ipad3, goto videos and select a shared libray and it just crashes back to home screen... Tried restsrt but still doing it.. :( anyone else seeing this?

Makes me wonder just how many of you folks are true dev's when I see hysterical junk like this, its BETA Software FFS!

eklof
Jul 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Seems like we have traffic info in the maps now. I see icons for accidents, road works and closed roads.

Perhaps they opened the waze floodgate?

MacFan1957
Jul 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Apple responded to my request!

I sent them a note saying "add a settings tab for maps and settings".

I'm not trolling.

----------

I hope there is an option to reset the maps app.

Well that's great because I'm sure it wasn't planned before your "note", JHC on a bike!

WeegieMac
Jul 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Makes me wonder just how many of you folks are true dev's when I see hysterical junk like this, its BETA Software FFS!

Generic "Why U Notz A Tru Dev" post 35497 ... "FFS" indeed. :rolleyes:

topmounter
Jul 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

Bevz
Jul 16, 2012, 01:34 PM

----------

Well that's great because I'm sure it wasn't planned before your "note", JHC on a bike!

I am a dev you numpty; read my footer... I just want to see if this bug is seen by others before i add it to my bug list for apple, which is what i'm supposed to do with Beta software!! Because i'm beta testing it :rolleyes:

callaghan001
Jul 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
Don't think so - but check out the "read me before downloading" section from Apple - they are pretty clear on what devices can/not use this beta.

Incorrect. It's been possible to active iOS 6 betas without UDID registration. Restore to 5.1.1, set up as new device. Option key (Shift on Windows) + Click on "Check for Upgrade" and point the upgrader to an iOS6 beta IPSW and voila, iOS 6 beta installed.
Yes - that is indeed an install procedure - however I don't dispute that you can install it - I'm just saying I wouldn't bet the farm that your phone will be working after it!

completly false.
If you say so - but on your head be it :D

codyc815
Jul 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Does anyone else's screen illuminate when they're listening to music and the volume is adjusted using the buttons on the side? That can be pretty annoying. I change my volume 10-20 times per song out of habit, and I don't want the people around me to know that I'm listening to Justin Bieber.

kristoffer4
Jul 16, 2012, 01:37 PM

Notes:
-Clears new message notification on all devices after you've read it on one or the other.
-Any new messages sync to both devices instantly, does not copy over conversations prior to Beta3.

This is great news! :D

Dionte
Jul 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
I hope we still get to keep our @me.com email address too. It sounds so much better than myemail@icloud.com

hobo.hopkins
Does anyone else's screen illuminate when they're listening to music and the volume is adjusted using the buttons on the side? That can be pretty annoying. I change my volume 10-20 times per song out of habit, and I don't want the people around me to know that I'm listening to Justin Bieber.

Yes, and it did that in both of the first two betas for me.

MattJessop
See, I signed up for the iOS developer program a few days ago as I no longer wanted to sit on the sidelines, and so the next few years outside of work I will be teaching myself to code (very hard I know, but I'm nothing if not persistent) and also because nobody has made an app I want, so I thought 'why not make it myself'

......I will admit getting iOS 6 a bit earlier had a tinnnnnnnyy bit to do with it. :3

Dionte
Jul 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone else reproduce?

It was doing that for me in beta 2, even with facebook. I just started using the apps instead until its fixed.

ethan028
Jul 16, 2012, 01:41 PM

Notes:

Where do you see this? I can't seem to find it in the release notes.

Does the syncing go the same for Mountain Lion too :D?

akac
Jul 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Am I missing something or do they STILL not have exit numbers on interstates? If it is not in by release, this alone might make maps unusable in most circumstances for me.

It had it in beta 2. We used it on I-35 just this past weekend and it gave me exit numbers.

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Seems the 3D maps still make Cupertino look like it's had an apocalypse.. http://mby.me/jH

nuckinfutz
Jul 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
See, I signed up for the iOS developer program a few days ago as I no longer wanted to sit on the sidelines, and so the next few years outside of work I will be teaching myself to code (very hard I know, but I'm nothing if not persistent) and also because nobody has made an app I want, so I thought 'why not make it myself'

......I will admit getting iOS 6 a bit earlier had a tinnnnnnnyy bit to do with it. :3

It's only hard if you don't put in the effort. One thing that never gets mentioned much outside of developer circles is how much improved the Apple supplied developer tools have become.

Good luck on creating that personal masterpiece that you may actually share with the world someday.

akac
Jul 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
I am a dev you numpty; read my footer... I just want to see if this bug is seen by others before i add it to my bug list for apple, which is what i'm supposed to do with Beta software!! Because i'm beta testing it :rolleyes:

Yes, but the appropriate place is not this forum - its the Apple Dev forums. Otherwise you are breaking your NDA (not my legal opinion - its Apple's, and isn't that what matters?)

rnbgrilla
Jul 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
i hope they fix the camera roll bug,

Bevz
Jul 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Yes, but the appropriate place is not this forum - its the Apple Dev forums. Otherwise you are breaking your NDA (not my legal opinion - its Apple's, and isn't that what matters?)

Yeah, fair point ;)

Amazing Iceman
Jul 16, 2012, 01:52 PM

I was going to sign up for the Developer Program because I was getting ready to become an iOS Developer. I just haven't had the time to finish learning iOS Programming, too many distractions bugging me at this time, including lots of work.

But even if I signed to it, I was going to be very cautious about upgrading to the Beta releases, as I use my iPad for real work and not as a toy, so I depend on it 100%, specially when I'm on the road.

The value of having the Beta release earlier is mainly for Developers who need to test their apps ahead of launch day. Using a Beta product in a production environment (for real work) has its risks and it may prove unproductive.

ggarthe
Jul 16, 2012, 01:54 PM

Numpty. I think I'm gonna have to make that my word of the day.

karlusdavius
Jul 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Main things I've noticed are vibrations. However this could be me just finding things that have been around for a while.

you can now put pre set or custom vibrations for all alerts.

You can now put custom vibrations on select contacts. The option to create custom vibrations has been moved to the contact selection panes.

akac
Jul 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
My own experience over the last few years is that the third beta is usually still buggy, but a usable starting point to live on for iOS.

gr8whtd0pe
Jul 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Main things I've noticed are vibrations. However this could be me just finding things that have been around for a while.

You can now put custom vibrations on select contacts. The option to create custom vibrations has been moved to the contact selection panes.

Been around for awhile.

jeremiah239
Jul 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

It worked thanks :)

Gjwilly
Jul 16, 2012, 01:59 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
:rolleyes:

unplugme71
Jul 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
screen brightness still has issues

karlusdavius
Jul 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm in the UK too and have been really disappointed by our coverage although I'm downloading beta 3 now. We both know how ***** the weathers been this year so for apple to try and get a picture without cloud is trying to compete with apple without lawsuit.

Im in Birmingham and the satellite images are shocking. nothing but fuzz. Yet the turn by turn navigation has been spot on since i started using it fully.

ECUpirate44
Jul 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
If you say so - but on your head be it :D

Its not even really debatable lol. If I hit restore on iTunes right now I'd go back to the latest version of ios5. An iTunes error is possible at first, but actually bricking the device is highly unlikely.

iDunc
Jul 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Im in Birmingham and the satellite images are shocking. nothing but fuzz. Yet the turn by turn navigation has been spot on since i started using it fully.

I'm in Birmingham too and thought it was me, very bad res :(

iMacFarlane
Jul 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
How is the performance of iOS 6 on a 3GS? I know it is supported, but I definitely saw a performance drop between 4.x and 5.x. In particular, every one of my apps that uses Game Center causes ridiculously poor response times and lag for the first 10 to 50 seconds of use as it tries to connect to the servers, every time I load the app or turn the phone back on to resume what I was doing.

Anyone out there using or testing iOS 6 on an old (but still supported) 3GS?

gr8whtd0pe
Jul 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yes - that is indeed an install procedure - however I don't dispute that you can install it - I'm just saying I wouldn't bet the farm that your phone will be working after it!

Mine and 1000's others are working just fine.

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
How is the performance of iOS 6 on a 3GS? I know it is supported, but I definitely saw a performance drop between 4.x and 5.x. In particular, every one of my apps that uses Game Center causes ridiculously poor response times and lag for the first 10 to 50 seconds of use as it tries to connect to the servers, every time I load the app or turn the phone back on to resume what I was doing.

I noticed a drop in performance in games and some apps too.

Confirmed bug fixes: :)

- Sparrow character bug.
- VSCO CAM Loading bug.

Still unconfirmed: :confused:

Sparrow account disappearing bug. (although this has probably also been fixed since they fixed the char bug)

Cue (greplin) loading bug.
App does not complete loading.

QBright initializing bug.
App does not properly initialize set brightness level.

Confirmed new bugs:
None that i can see so far.

Gjwilly
Jul 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
My iPhone 4 is still updating and my 4S was done 20 minutes ago.
I think the speed of the upgrade is dependent upon how much free space you have.

arnoz
Jul 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Bugs reported so far...
3, passport wacks brightness up full

I think it's a feature and not a bug ;) I guess brightness at max will help barcode reader. I know when I scan my phone's screen at airports etc I usually have to increase brightness.

Dcuellar
Jul 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
My phone is associated with a dev account so I should be able to install iOS 6. Where do I need to go to get the ipsw?

arnoz
Jul 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
My phone is associated with a dev account so I should be able to install iOS 6. Where do I need to go to get the ipsw?

https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action#betadownloads

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
Can someone please check to see if cueup (cue) also known as greplin and QBright now load properly ?

Also if or not the old version of slice and waze can still be installed ? :-/

rorschach
Jul 16, 2012, 02:39 PM

I noticed this in the first or second beta. I agree, it's very annoying.

Dcuellar
Jul 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action#betadownloads

Thanks. Has anyone noticed improvements in iTunes Match in iOS6 vs 5.1.1?

iMacFarlane
Jul 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
I noticed a drop in performance in games and some apps too.

Confirmed bug fixes: :)

- Sparrow character bug.
- VSCO CAM Loading bug.

Still unconfirmed: :confused:

Sparrow account disappearing bug. (although this has probably also been fixed since they fixed the char bug)

Cue (greplin) loading bug.
App does not complete loading.

QBright initializing bug.
App does not properly initialize set brightness level.

Confirmed new bugs:
None that i can see so far.

Well, there you go. A drop in performance. I qualify for an upgrade, probably time to jump up to the 4S or wait a bit to see the magic they'll release in the fall.

andybno1
Jul 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
don't like how the brightness doesn't revert to original settings after closing passbook app

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Well, there you go. A drop in performance. I qualify for an upgrade, probably time to jump up to the 4S or wait a bit to see the magic they'll release in the fall.

I have a 3GS on the old bootrom w/ lenmar LED case and Jawbone Icon HD.

They would have to torture me before they got me to upgrade. :D

Plus i rarely play any games.

----------

don't like how the brightness doesn't revert to original settings before opening passbook after closing app

QBright might help if it now works in b3, It does still work on 5.1.1 :cool:
(Initialize once: Double tap for MRU app list > Tap DONE)

andybno1
Jul 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
QBright might help if it now works in b3. :cool:
(Initialize once, double tap for MRU list, > Tap DONE)
yeeehh but it's not the point of my beef with it lol apple should have this already in place :p

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
yeeehh but it's not the point of my beef with it lol apple should have this already in place :p

So it works ?
As far as i know qbright has no known memory leaks, no known api calls and NO permission issues.

GRRRRRR strike that QBright is NOT free anymore :(
Still free for anyone who already grabbed it tho :)

arnoz
Jul 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks. Has anyone noticed improvements in iTunes Match in iOS6 vs 5.1.1?
Still need to install but I hated B2 as enabling iTunes Match really meant wiping all your music and streaming only. Discovered that while I was on the road... abroad. I didn't really want to stream while roaming :/

dweezle3
Jul 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Has anyone noticed if that annoying random rebooting on the iPhone 4S that occurred on beta 2 is gone or not?

RoboCop001
Jul 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wow! I can't believe they're updating Maps again! Unbelievable! :mad: It was supposed to be finished code in beta 1! :D:D:D:D:D

faroZ06
Jul 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Gotta love those "bug fixes and improvements".

Navdakilla
Jul 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
Bring it

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
ok now its got me wondering if or not Location popups and LTI in passbook for cards have the same screen brightness bug from the lockscreen :(

Someone is actually going to have to go outside *GASP!* oh no! :D

DAMNIT APPLE :( <sigh>

tonyshaker
Jul 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
you used to be able to ask siri "wheres the nearest hotel" for example and it would tell you now it doesn't

this only applies for uk people:mad:

Wheeler
Jul 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Denver is now in 3D, and 3D tiles seem to load much faster. Looks great

OverByThere
Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Face tracking in camera app on iPad, when did that come in?

stueee123
Jul 16, 2012, 03:20 PM

Its free actually, apple stopped checking UDIDs (at least for beta 1)

hppy29
Jul 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
you used to be able to ask siri "wheres the nearest hotel" for example and it would tell you now it doesn't

this only applies for uk people:mad:

Siri is finding things for me in the UK, He just found two hotels with reviews

shandyman
Jul 16, 2012, 03:22 PM

my maps has been better here than google, tho not high def yet, will be brill when they are. weirdly the roads have changed from being right to being how google have them, which is wrong, it's made a paralell road going thru my garden and making my road out front end before the next turn. weird

There in beta 1 for me, was a bit tricky to get working as it was stubborn to pick it up tho.

there in beta 1

tonyshaker
Jul 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Siri is finding things for me in the UK, He just found two hotels with reviews

What do you think i should do should i restore it

stueee123
Jul 16, 2012, 03:25 PM

Not incorrect, i did it with beta 1 and it worked fine.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/16/install-run-ios-6-beta-without-udid-activation-or-a-developer-account/

Nungster
Jul 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm in Birmingham too and thought it was me, very bad res :(

You Brummies must be drunk on New Castle! LOL, just a bit of ribbing from a Yank with a Brummy for a friend.

smokedart
Jul 16, 2012, 03:38 PM

Beta 2 worked for me with spoken turn by turn directions. I live in Halifax, NS. I was really pleased with it.

RobQuads
Jul 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Looks like they still have problems around WebSockets in Safari in Beta 3, was there in Beta 2 but works fine in iOS5 :(

It always seems to be closing the web socket straight away.

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
Looks like they still have problems around WebSockets in Safari in Beta 3, was there in Beta 2 but works fine in iOS5 :(

I've got a feeling it MIGHT supposed to be that way. Something to do with ipv6 & QoS as well as the way it affects battery performance perhaps? :confused:
Do mercury browser and/or dolphin have the same issues ?

RobQuads
Jul 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
I've got a feeling it MIGHT supposed to be that way. Something to do with ipv6 and QoS perhaps? :confused:
Do mercury browser and/or dolphin have the same issues ?

Doubt it should you would expect the to have it working the same as Safari on Mac which works. iPhone Chrome seems to do it as well.

iOS 4.3.2 & 5.0 on my simulator works fine as well as the wifes IP4s on 5.1.1. Quite annoying as I can't demo my home coding stuff to the guys at work :(

teknishn
Jul 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
This is definitely a solid build so far. Quite happy with b3. Maps is way faster and improved. Safari doesnt crap the bed all the time. Facetime issues resolved. Phone app not crashing. Standard issue.... they are making it better every release.

lovemyapple
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Non Developers (such as myself) are able to get it for free now.

CyBeRino
Jul 16, 2012, 05:13 PM
Non Developers (such as myself) are able to get it for free now.

No they aren't.

You are pirating software when you do that.

And you can't activate an iOS 6 device if the device isn't registered.

The reason people have been getting around that is that they're upgrading from 5.1.1, which means the device is already activated.

fender4645
Jul 16, 2012, 05:14 PM

I think that's called OCD.

penajmz
Jul 16, 2012, 05:21 PM

Has been there since beta 1.

Tinmania
Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM

Thank god is right! Now I can use Navigate--or another nav app of my choice--yet still get the benefit of seeing the turn information on the lock screen from the Maps app.

Michael

Gjwilly
Jul 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Its free actually, apple stopped checking UDIDs (at least for beta 1)

They didn't stop checking UDIDs.
If you follow Apple's instructions then you most certainly need to have your UDID registered.
But if you don't follow the instructions then the UDID check is bypassed.
:D

Tonewheel
Jul 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
Seems like we have traffic info in the maps now. I see icons for accidents, road works and closed roads.

Perhaps they opened the waze floodgate?

Had them in the previous beta. :rolleyes:

----------

I think it's a feature and not a bug ;) I guess brightness at max will help barcode reader. I know when I scan my phone's screen at airports etc I usually have to increase brightness.

Exactly correct. Full brightness is needed when the phone screen is to be scanned.

honjoe
Jul 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
What the hitch are these glyphs they are talking about in safari bookmarks

Dcuellar
Jul 16, 2012, 05:40 PM
Thank god is right! Now I can use Navigate--or another nav app of my choice--yet still get the benefit of seeing the turn information on the lock screen from the Maps app.

Michael

What do you not like about the new maps? I don't have iOS 6 beta, just curious.

dra
Jul 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
I hope you people complaining that some features don't work know these early releases are for people that make apps and do testing only for how the OS will respond to your app in development.

Tinmania
Jul 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
What do you not like about the new maps? I don't have iOS 6 beta, just curious.
Actually I like them. I just happen to like Navigon's speed warning functionality.

I would prefer to turn off Navigon's turn-by-turn voice guidance yet retain speed warnings, and use the Maps app for Navigation. But I don't see this

But by allowing me to turn off the voice in Maps I can nearly approximate that. In other words: still use the Maps app as my main Nav app, but have Navigon running in the background for the voice prompts and speed warnings.

Michael

DeanCorp
Jul 16, 2012, 06:24 PM

Notes:

I can't get this feature working on my iPad. I assume it's because my iPhone is running 5.1.1 is that the reason?

Rocketman
Jul 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
English is the language of aviation. English is the language of space. English is the primary language of the internet.

set map labels to display either in the local language or always in EnglishEnglish is the default language of iOS, the dominant OS of revenue producing and value-added portable devices worldwide.

It also speaks dozens of other languages on demand.

Rocketman

bedifferent
Jul 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
- iMessage on iPad now accepting phone number as valid contact info

Finally. This makes sense!

honjoe
Jul 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
Can someone explain to me what are the glyphs they are talking about in the iOS 6 beta update....

cam-tab
Jul 16, 2012, 07:28 PM

Notes:

I have both the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 running the beta 3 version and I do not see how to add my cell number to imessage on the iPad. Is it just under the normal setting or is there a special setup required?

DeanCorp
Jul 16, 2012, 07:30 PM
I have both the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 running the beta 3 version and I do not see how to add my cell number to imessage on the iPad. Is it just under the normal setting or is there a special setup required?

Can you try, logging out of iMessage on both devices, then turn on iMessage on iPhone, confirm it's finished verifying by going into "Receive At" and it should say You can be reached at rather than verifying. Once this is done, turn iMessage on your iPad.

shandyman
Jul 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Can you try, logging out of iMessage on both devices, then turn on iMessage on iPhone, confirm it's finished verifying by going into "Receive At" and it should say You can be reached at rather than verifying. Once this is done, turn iMessage on your iPad.

I had to log in on iPad first then iPhone about 15 mins later, then the iPad pops up saying about a phone number being detected or something if I remember right from beta 1

cam-tab
Jul 16, 2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks...I was just coming back to say that I did this and it took two goes but now does work!! Appreciate your prompt reply

DeanCorp
Jul 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks...I was just coming back to say that I did this and it took two goes but now does work!! Appreciate your prompt reply

No problems, it just has to register back with the iMessage server, the iPhone does the sending out of this information and the iPad just piggy backs off it.

This feature only works if both devices are running iOS 6.

benguild
Jul 16, 2012, 07:47 PM

Crap, I hope that doesn't kill the iTether App I've been so diligently using!

grivvr
Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
Brightness adjustment was added to the API in iOS 5.
The expected behaviour (which I do think is a little odd) is that after exiting an app, the brightness level persists. Your previous brightness level returns after a sleep / wake.
Haven't checked this in the new beta though - it's currently installing.

wx4olf
Jul 16, 2012, 08:07 PM

As expected it is a little sluggish. Maybe that's just me coming from a 4s however opening apps and other actions tend to take a little longer than I would like for daily use. Of course it is beta still so this should not be too surprising. Hopefully we will see some performance tweaks as more of the bugs are squashed and we are closer to release.

greenorblue
Jul 16, 2012, 08:19 PM

Notes:

Thank the lord. Now they must follow suit with Mountain Lion, and all will be peachy.

Sixtafoua
Jul 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
I've actually had a surprisingly low number of problems with the betas so far, which makes these updates less exciting. They should add a bunch of horrible bugs in the first few versions just to make the updates more exiting.

iThat
Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
Can someone PLEASE confirm if or not QuickBright or CUE(free) are working correctly ? Neither would load in beta1 or 2.

Mobster1983
Jul 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
Just downloaded Beta 3 on iPad 3rd Gen and iPhone 4S. Huge difference in the maps app. My hometown wasn't showing in any detail whatsoever. Now has full 3D.

Now to see if my iPad will stop crashing every few hours...

AbSoluTc
Jul 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
It seems auto brightness is still broken in this beta. I have to keep it OFF otherwise it goes all the way down and I can't see it or it doesn't adjust at all.

xplora
Jul 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
First, beta 3 has resolved a touch sensitivity problem I was having on both my iPad's (the would often mis-interpret a tap as a movement, in both the previous betas).

Second, to all those saying yes/no to the possibility that a device might get "bricked". The official word from Apple is a device should be properly set up in a developer account before installing iOS 6, or you risk the device being bricked. SO regardless of what is actually happening out there, if you illegally install without a developer account, you ARE at risk to bricking your device. That said, even if that does happen, in most cases you can put a device into recovery mode and iTunes can restore from there.

hppy29
Jul 17, 2012, 02:45 AM
What do you think i should do should i restore it

Have you checked to make sure that in Siri settings -My Info is set to your contact? Have you tried switching Siri on and off?

Have you checked under the Privacy settings that Siri is allowed to access Location Service?

I also set up an account with yelp, and updated some reviews of local service when I got Beta 2 on services that were not showing when I asked Siri... those reviews and services now show in beta 3

ranReloaded
Jul 17, 2012, 02:50 AM
I can confirm that the BBC app works with beta 3 (It would crash on launch with betas 1 and 2)

ranReloaded
Jul 17, 2012, 03:01 AM
The 'building data' in 3D view seems to be US-only at the moment. In Japan, you only get a 'slanted 2D map'.

marcelkraan
Jul 17, 2012, 04:11 AM
My 6.3 batterylife is so worst.
6.2 was terrible but now it takes 10% in one hour.

then they start to use "plutonium batteries" :D

sean5900
Jul 17, 2012, 04:30 AM
My 6.3 batterylife is so worst.
6.2 was terrible but now it takes 10% in one hour.

then they start to use "plutonium batteries" :D

I'am glad to see that I'm not the only one that has had this problem. My battery life dose seem to be worse then iOS 5. Its not horrible, but I have noticed a difference.

Twimfy
Jul 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
Performance on my 4 is much better in B3.

It use to freeze after entering the 4th digit on the passcode lock screen, now it's smooth as silk.

The camera used to take an eternity to open the shutter too, now it's fine (could still be quicker though).

Also iTunes Match is remembering stuff now. In b1 and b2 I had to have a permanent connection to hear any of my music.

Not impressed with the xcode beta though. Anything run in simulator which contains audio starts screaming white noise, the first time it happened I had headphones in and nearly went deaf. (I've used some of Apple's example apps as a test to make sure it wasn't my code and it still happens.)

It's not practical to be testing apps on devices all of the time.

jthompson666
Jul 17, 2012, 06:27 AM

That's not true, I installed iOS 6 beta 2 on my iPod touch. I'm not a developer and did not give my UDID to anyone. You simply download the appropriate .ipsw for your device. Plug your device into iTunes. Make sure it's backed up etc. Where it says update or restore, hold shift (I think it's command on the mac but I haven't tried this on my air so I don't know) and click update. Select the .ipsw you just downloaded and click update. The update will happen and your good to go. The only thing that you have to do is make sure that for future betas etc. that you update OTA as apparently iTunes updates won't work. As far as I know this still works with beta 3 (worked for me on iPhone 3GS).

tonyshaker
Jul 17, 2012, 06:33 AM
Have you checked to make sure that in Siri settings -My Info is set to your contact? Have you tried switching Siri on and off?

Have you checked under the Privacy settings that Siri is allowed to access Location Service?

I also set up an account with yelp, and updated some reviews of local service when I got Beta 2 on services that were not showing when I asked Siri... those reviews and services now show in beta 3

Hey man just wanted to tell you thanks for the advice but I ended up doing what you said but no result so i restored it and it wired but it is quite strange that i had to do that.;)