PDA

View Full Version : Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-rolling-out-icloud-com-email-addresses-with-ios-6-beta-3/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud_icon_text.jpg

With today's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-releases-ios-6-beta-3-to-developers/) to developers, Apple has revealed in the update's change log that it is beginning the first stages of transitioning users from the me.com email addresses and Apple IDs available under MobileMe to new addresses using icloud.com.icloud.com email addresses are now available for iCloud mail users. Users signing up for new Apple IDs, or enabling Mail on their iCloud account for the first time, will automatically receive an @icloud.com email address instead of a me.com email address. iCloud users with @me.com addresses that have been used with iOS 6 beta 3 will receive an @icloud.com email address that matches their @me.com address.Apple discontinued MobileMe (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/01/apple-shuts-down-mobileme-data-available-for-limited-time/) in favor of iCloud as of June 30, although MobileMe users are still able to transition their accounts to iCloud for a limited time.

MobileMe and its me.com addresses were themselves transitioned (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/28/me-com-email-addresses-now-working/) in 2008 from mac.com addresses available under Apple's previous iTools and .Mac services, with MobileMe users able to send and receive email from mac.com and me.com versions of their addresses using either account.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-rolling-out-icloud-com-email-addresses-with-ios-6-beta-3/)

MacAztec
Jul 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Great! But when do we get the option to merge .mac and .me IDs with an iCloud account?

icloud
Jul 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
5 @mac.com email aliases,
5 @me.com email aliases,
now
5 more @icloud.com email aliases

#toomanyaliases!

Rudy69
Personally I prefer me.com, it's nice and short

lifeinhd
So they've traded the two-character "me" domain for one three times as long?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6nxdp7tIu1qjvqk7.jpg

dannyyankou
But if someone sends a message to my @me.com email address, will it also be sent to the @icloud.com address? :confused:

d3bruts1d
Jul 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
As long as they allow me to keep my <user>@me.com emails I don't care. I don't think I'd ever use a <user>@icloud.com email address.

MattJessop
Jul 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
But if someone sends a message to my @me.com email address, will it also be sent to the @icloud.com address? :confused:

Yes. It's been kept the same with .mac and me for years. :)

ugahairydawgs
Why the year long wait? If this was the ultimate path why didn't they transition everyone to this when they rolled iCloud out?

griffd
kind of agree - i'm still dealing with the consequences of the .mac -> .me transition, and i really kind of like how short @me.com is. Prefer that they just left it alone - mostly for convenience and partially as a homage to mobile me - though I'm sure Apple would rather forget about it - ha :)

Don Kosak
Jul 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
I like the @me address also.

The service is "iCloud", but I'm still "me".

I thought the "@me" address was very Apple. It sent the message that "We know you're not a corporation or a part of us, you're you."

I hope they keep the "@me" around.

easy4lif
Jul 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
5 @me.com email aliases,
now

#toomanyaliases!

I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind dropping all my @me addresses for @iCloud addresses instead.

Master Atrus
Jul 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I want to figure out how to transition my me.com to an icloud.com email address (non-developer).

For me, me.com sounds a bit selfish, but icloud.com sounds like (oh, you like Apple) - at least it is much closer to the old mac.com email which I can't get to anymore. :(

SteveLV702
I sure better get to keep my @Mac.com email they better not just replace it..

icloud

prefer @mac.com myself. Badge of a veteran.

Mad Mac Maniac
They both sound dumb to me...

I don't want to say my email is @me.com or even @iCloud.com

I wish they had stuck with @mac.com

iJon
Jul 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Great, now I have a mac.com, me.com and now icloud.com.

I already made my transition form mac.com to me.com and I'll probably leave it at that.

AMG63
Jul 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
As long as they allow me to keep my <user>@me.com emails I don't care.

I want to know this also.

thewiccaman
Jul 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

Agree 100%! I use my .mac almost exclusively for personal emails (and I use a me.com for some other logins).

kepardue
Hmm... I switched to iCloud email from a Google Apps domain because it was shorter and so I could have space to archive my mail without Google serving me ads on it. If they move to @icloud.com addresses, that takes away one of the two big reasons I switched.

I wish Apple had some kind of Domains-like program where I could use iCloud space with my own domain. Oh well, as long as they let my @me.com address stay.

jmann
As long as I get to keep my @me address, I don't care how many aliases they create. Short 'n' Sweet.

Koodauw
Jul 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
I still use the .mac address. I'd rahter they address the issues of getting icloud emails to push regularly.

sinfm
Jul 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
this is getting ridiculous...

time to start bugging Apple to Merge IDs again!

afireintonto
Jul 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
my email is mylastnamemyfirstname @me.com
there is no way i'm changing that.

Thataboy
Jul 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
@icloud.com ?? GROSS.

There is no reason for this. iCloud is a behind-the-scenes service. Should just stick with the shorter, elegant, me.com.

ajvizzgamer101
I just want to use my icloud.com/me.com with my iTunes (which uses gmail.com). iTunes should be like youtube, you can disconnect a Google+ account from youtube and attach another G+ account.

benguild
If I setup an iCloud email address, is that going to change my Apple ID or iCloud login to be that email address permanently, or does it just add it as an alias kind of?

I'd like to be able to sync notes....

Keymaster
I have had my @mac.com address for more than ten years now, and I would really prefer that it stay that way as long as Apple is serving email addresses. It costs effectively nothing to keep the domain and alias the address. And, yes, it's the mark of someone who stuck by Apple long before the comeback. :)

chainprayer
all @icloud.com email addresses are currently scheduled to be deactivated and transitioned to the new @emailonmyiosdevice.com domain in two years

Ted Witcher
Jul 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quit ****ing with my email, Apple! Just leave it alone! Work on other more important ****!

All the addresses should be @mac, which was the best and simplest (or, as a second choice, @apple). @me was stupid, @icloud is stupid and this whole thing of changing everybody's address every few years is stupid.

easy4lif
Jul 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
reading the article again, I think whats happening is people with ONLY @me email addresses are getting the iCloud addresses as well. so basically they'll get two sets of addresses like users who have @mac & @me

Personally, @mac will always have that cache that all other apple email addresses will never have (except those that have @apple.com)

AMG63
Jul 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Something big is coming to www.me.com – there is no way Apple is going to simply abandon a domain name like that. I would put money on it that it's going to be Apple's own social network.

:apple:

gopnick
Jul 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
I still use mac.com for 99% of my personal emails.

d3bruts1d
Jul 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
Something big is coming to www.me.com – there is no way Apple is going to simply abandon a domain name like that. I would put money on it that it's going to be Apple's own social network.

If that were the case, I don't think they would be automatically generating @icloud emails for people that already have @me addresses.

bensen
Jul 16, 2012, 02:08 PM

my @me.com-address doesnt work with @mac.com :(

mex4eric
Time for Apple to get more flexible between mac.com, me.com and iCloud.com. I have a mac.com AppleID but no email, and a me.com email and no AppleID. Confusing.

fins831
I use gmail for all my business stuff, pushed to phone etc, but I just secured my @me address for personal use and ipad only email, so I can differentiate what mail goes to which device, and allows business and personal to be separate.

I also wanted to just save the @me just cause its so simple and @icloud is just longer and annoying and just in case they force icloud over @me in future, I have @me saved, and am lazy and happy with the two letter domain.

eject
Jul 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
I wish Apple had some kind of Domains-like program where I could use iCloud space with my own domain. Oh well, as long as they let my @me.com address stay.

I think that will come eventually, but much simpler process than google apps.

spiderman0616
Jul 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Great! But when do we get the option to merge .mac and .me IDs with an iCloud account?

YES!!!

The only reason I still have a gmail account is, ironically, because that's what I originally registered my iTunes account with and Apple is pretty much forcing me to do it. I switched to iCloud mail last year, and they will not let me merge, so now I have to keep my gmail account open so that I can still keep all my content. It's kind of ridiculous.

JohnDoe98
this is getting ridiculous...

time to start bugging Apple to Merge IDs again!

Exactly, merge the Apple IDs already, that strikes me as far more important than this little to do.

tbluhp
how dose my current .me address get converted to icloud address I am on 6.0 beta 3

b11051973
Jul 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
I had a .mac address from when I tried that service 100 years ago. Unfortunately, my iTunes account is linked to that email address. Will that .mac address be converted to an iCloud address that I'll have access to since iCloud stuff is free?

hirshnoc
Jul 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
I tried entering my new supposed @icloud.com email address into mail where i have the @me.com and @mac.com addresses (and I can choose from a drop-down) where I want the message to be sent from. I got an internal server error.

It may be a problem with ports but I dunno if I need to delete and redo the account entirely or if Mountain Lion's updated version of mail transitions this over seamlessly.

zedsdead
Jul 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

@iCloud makes sense, and people already know what it is.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.

RadioFlyer79
Jul 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
Man. I wish they'd just leave @mac.com and @me.com. I just converted all of my bills and what not from a bellsouth address that AT&T decided to delete. I won't even get started on that issue. I really hope they activate multiple iCloud users on one computer this year.

Bear
Jul 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
I sure better get to keep my @Mac.com email they better not just replace it..I would hope so.

I suspect like those with @mac.com addresses also got @me.com addresses, we'll all get @icloud.com addresses.

flyingember
Jul 16, 2012, 02:15 PM

try going to mac.com and see what they did with it...

eyehop
Jul 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
OK Apple, just don't take away my mac.com address :eek:

Simplicated
Jul 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
Still prefer @mac.com.

Daalseth
Jul 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Quit ****ing with my email, Apple! Just leave it alone! Work on other more important ****!
D*** right. I've had people stumbling over mac.com/me.com for years now. (Yes either one works but they panic when they get a message from me at one they haven't been expecting.) Now they have a third one to freak over.
******* this.

M87
Jul 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Does this mean I can change my username? 'cause I hate the one I picked for MobileMe.

TonyC28
Jul 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
So my xxxx@me.com email address that I set up for iCloud is going to become xxx@icloud.com, right? If that's all then I say no big deal.

TimAlia
Jul 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

I disagree. I originally loved the simplicity of the me.com address. However, I'm getting very tired of using the phonetic alphabet every time I give my email address. "No, it's not ne.com or any.com... it's Me.com."

TimTheEnchanter
I have and use daily my mac.com address but have never checked if me.com address gets mail. Not even sure if I opted in or out of anything related. hmm

...and Apple better let us keep existing addresses or they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands of the likes they've never seen.

lzyprson
This is very frustrating considering that it took me a year to send an email to everyone i know saying that as of today (litterally 7/15) i can no longer be reached on my gmail address!!!!

:eek:

ugahairydawgs
Jul 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have and use daily my mac.com address but have never checked if me.com address gets mail. Not even sure if I opted in or out of anything related. hmm

...and Apple better let us keep existing addresses or they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands of the likes they've never seen.

What would be a lot more useful is if they made it an either/or thing. Open up the icloud.com domain and let new users signup for addresses there if they so choose, kind of how Yahoo does it with @yahoo.com and @ymail.com.

getstuff4less
Jul 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
As long as I get to keep my @me address, I don't care how many aliases they create. Short 'n' Sweet.

@me > @icloud
Short 'n' Sweet.

BJMRamage
Jul 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
@me.com is VERY VERY easy to tell people.

not that @icloud.com is too difficult but too many people don't know if it is "iCloud" "eyecloud" "cloud" ...

everyone knows "me" and can easily type me without a second question.

Keep ME.

hope in the future they have options...choose one of these 3 names: Mac.com, Me.com, iCloud.com

henryhbk
Jul 16, 2012, 02:23 PM

Exactly. Not to mention I use that as my non-work email everywhere... Would kill me to change it everywhere.

Plus I could care less about iCloud which isn't really even a "thing" as opposed to my mac (which I have owned since 1985!) and am proud to be a veteran of.

Carl Sagan
Jul 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
I think @icloud.com is better than @me.com, better to integrate the naming schemes IMO.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
I grow tired of Apple changing their email domains. I started with a .mac account, now also have an @me.com and now a stupid iCloud.com one too. I'm glad my primary email is a Gmail account. It's been the same since 2005 beta days.

Apple, just pick one and stick with it.

breezie
Jul 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone know if I can sign up for a new iCloud email address? Hate it when someone takes my name first!

Michael73
Jul 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
I use my .mac address for business and changing it would be major pain...I've had the address for half a dozen years and YES, it's the badge of a veteran.

I love going into my local apple store and during checkout when they ask me if I want my receipt emailed and I say "sure" and give them my .mac account getting the smile with something akin to, "Man, you must go way back!"

I'm too nice to say, "Probably back to when you were still in high school." but then again I'm beginning to edge toward the point of being old enough to be their parent - UGH! :eek:

dermeister
I wouldn't care if Apple just made it possible to merge Apple IDs already... Aghr. Has Apple ever given a reason why they can't merge Apple IDs? That is, other than it taking effort - I'm sure it'll take effort, but they should do it.

Peace
Weren't people complaining last year that the @me email was a crappy name ?

Now people want to keep it ?

Ha !

unplugme71
Jul 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
agreed.. should've stuck with .mac

Jeaz
Jul 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
I wish they'd allow custom domains. Sure, you can add an alias and forward it, but you still have to use the mac/me/icloud email for all iCloud logins and so on.

Cinematic
Jul 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
.me is dorky
.icloud is worse

wtf Apple, you nailed it with .Mac. . .guess that doesn't fit with the new iOS corporate focus. . .

rnizlek
Jul 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
@me.com has ZERO name recognition.

That's actually why I like it. I really don't want to have another generic @yahoo or @gmail or @hotmail address. The fact that people don't know @me is a selling point to me. Since I can keep it, no big deal, but if Apple were ever to dump it I'd probably go back to my own domain.

32KFJ
Jul 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
stupid question:

what does that mean for my apple id and my icloud-@me.com adress?

will it affect anything or do i have to change something when ios 6 comes out?! :confused:

b11051973
Jul 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
I can see the problem with a mac address is Apple is more than Macs these days. Way more people have iOS devices than Macs. Maybe a person with an iPhone and a Windows PC doesn't want a Mac address.

I switched to Hotmail like 13+ years ago after my ISP kept changing my email address. I will stick with that Hotmail address as long as it is still around.

Costa Del Sol
I've got my namesurname@me.com, does this mean that I'll have my namesurname@icloud.com reserved? I do not have any iOS device by the way, except my iPod touch 1st gen which doesn't support new versions at all.

tbluhp
I was not able to convert my account to icloud how do you do this?

Schtumple
Jul 16, 2012, 02:36 PM

Same here, definitely not giving mine up, I rushed to get mine and got it printed on business cards (really can't afford my own domain...).

job2
Jul 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
Just logged out from iCloud account on my Mac and tried to create a new one. The one that was to be created was an @me address.

NAG
Jul 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well this make sense as far as building up the iCloud brand. Hope they keep the option for new people to get @me.com addresses because it is such a short one to type out.

Anti-Lucifer
Jul 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
.me is dorky
.icloud is worse

wtf Apple, you nailed it with .Mac. . .guess that doesn't fit with the new iOS corporate focus. . .

Well, @yahoo.com is stupid
@hotmail sounds cheap
@gmail is just as dorky as @icloud except with a "g" synonymous with google as "i" is synonymous with apple

It's just an email domain name. Is just a name.

Hakone
Jul 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
Can I claim derp@icloud.com? :eek:

JoshBoy
Jul 16, 2012, 02:44 PM

Totally agree :) I only use the @mac.com address

franzmueller
Jul 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
I've never used @me.com ...@mac.com forever !!!!:D:D

benpatient
Jul 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Three years from now, it will be your_name@icloud.apple (when the new top-level domains start to gain in popularity)

Then 3 years after that. it will change to your_name@facehole.apple when they introduce the new Apple FaceHole service.

You might think it sounds like a bad name, but people said that about the iPad, too. Remember all of the tampon jokes? At some point, those jokes will eat themselves...because Apple will actually introduce a new line of feminine products to work with FaceHole.

job2
I guess the same apply this time as well.

I let my .Mac member expire. Can I get the same name @me.com?
Names for MobileMe are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you were an active .Mac member as of July 9, 2008 then your member name is also yours for @me.com.

How do I reclaim my old member name for MobileMe?
Names that have not been used for a certain amount of time may have been recycled. Try logging in with your old member name and password. If that works, you can reactivate your account to reclaim your name. If it doesn’t, try signing up for a new MobileMe account with your former name. If that doesn't work, that recycled name may have been taken by a new MobileMe member. You will need to choose a different name for your new MobileMe account.

Codestud
I still want to be able to send outgoing emails with my own custom alias, like you can on Gmail?

gbnz
Jul 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Considering I paid plenty of $$$ for many years to keep my .mac by subscribing to .mac and MobileMe services (even after .mac was initially free) ... i'd be really bumped if apple scrap them in favor of iCloud.

Fingers crossed Apple finally merge emails :)

Rocketman
Jul 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it. :D

Rocketman

mmcook
Jul 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.

I agree with this completely. I love the simplicity of @me.com, but I get a lot of strange looks when I use it (or similar confusion when using it over the phone). I seem to be in the minority of people who would like the move to @icloud.com. Plus, our main account is a family account, so it's familyname@me.com (which just sounds weird to me).

Anyway, just my 2cents. But put me on the list of people who want to see an Apple ID merge!!! That is my biggest pain point with Apple at the moment. They will let me use any e-mail I want as my Apple ID.. except an Apple e-mail. Even if you have no purchase history with an @me account, you still can't merge it.

caseyh
Jul 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I want to figure out how to transition my me.com to an icloud.com email address (non-developer).

For me, me.com sounds a bit selfish, but icloud.com sounds like (oh, you like Apple) - at least it is much closer to the old mac.com email which I can't get to anymore. :(

I'd like to be able to register or reserve an address @icloud.com, too, but I'm not a developer. I just want to "claim" the address I want more than anything. Anybody know of a way to do it?

rsands1
As far as I'm concerned I'm leaving apple and their stupid email behind. I am sorry but they have given me nothing but trouble ever since they started their stupid move from .Mac to .Me and now .Me to .iCloud. My email is a .Mac and I've had it ever since they first started offering their paid service and it's only been crippled over time. I can't send and receive half the time, my settings don't work across all my devices, they turned off support for older email programs and older operating systems. I can't sync half the time with my email…it NEVER works! I'm going the route of gmail or getting my own email address at my own website. Apple you seriously screwed over your paying email customers and left us to fend for ourselves while your idiot techies behind the scenes did nothing to fix this issue.

pmz
Great so now I have @mac, @me, AND @icloud ?

Seriously? Apple you're killing me with this Apple ID confusion. Its great that these all work, but there is no consistency....the app store shows my @mac, my email is @me, home sharing usually shows @mac but not on all devices.

It's really dumb. Now they've added yet another one. I swear, if I log in with my @mac or my @me and i see it change to @icloud, I'm going freak the f out.

Carlanga
Jul 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
I don't like iCloud.com since when you tell someone who isn't apple savy they would write eyecloud.com or something of that nature.

rsands1
Jul 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Great so now I have @mac, @me, AND @icloud ?

Seriously? Apple you're killing me with this Apple ID confusion. Its great that these all work, but there is no consistency....the app store shows my @mac, my email is @me, home sharing usually shows @mac but not on all devices.

It's really dumb. Now they've added yet another one. I swear, if I log in with my @mac or my @me and i see it change to @icloud, I'm going freak the f out.

Dude I totally agree with you..their system is a joke as far as all this is concerned. It's beyond confusing! My emails are all over the place on all my devices too with this .Mac, .Me and iCloud crap.

job2
Jul 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
I don't like iCloud.com since when you tell someone who isn't apple savy they would write eyecloud.com or something of that nature.

Yep, and telling someone you have a Gmail address might lead to a non-Google savvy person thinking the spelling is geemail, or jmail, or maybe jimail?

rmwebs
Jul 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wont touch that with a barge pole! Would never trust Apple with my email. For all I know they will 'discontinue' it in a year and I loose my account.

I'll stick with Gmail thanks.

lostngone
Jul 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
Woot!

I will have a

@mac.com
@me.com

and now

@icloud.com

Why not just give up and give everyone @apple.com addresses?

marshallld
Jul 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it. :D

Rocketman

Well that was exactly what the @mac.com was originally advertised as with the free iTool i.e. and email address you could keep forever.

The one annoying thing has been when I reply to an email from my iPhone, I use @mac.com as my personal email address, the reply to address become @me.com. No biggy since they both come to the same email inbox. If there is a way to change that it has been enough of a bother to me to look into it

Prof.
Jul 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
So now I have @mac.com, @me.com and now @icloud.com.

YAY!

:rolleyes:

Allenbf
Jul 16, 2012, 03:10 PM

I tend to think the same thing.

Ping II anyone?

e-coli
Oh hooray. Another email address change. :rolleyes:

roland.g
What a mess!

1. me.com is cleaner than icloud.com.
2. First a transition to me.com from mac.com. Too many transitions.
3. Will they consolidate Apple IDs finally!!

I have had a mac.com email address since iTools since around 2000/2001 when it was first introduced. So when the iTunes store initially launched my mac.com address was my Apple ID. With the move to MobileMe, that became my primary email but mac.com was still my Apple ID. Now with iCloud, I still have both but mac.com is my Apple ID and the only thing I use that for.

If it becomes icloud.com then make that my Apple ID and transition all my purchase history to it. And be done with the transitions!!

Carlanga
Jul 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Yep, and telling someone you have a Gmail address might lead to a non-Google savvy person thinking the spelling is geemail, or jmail, or maybe jimail?

1) Actually it HAS happened w/ my gmail account so I don't know why it surprises you. That's how I though of the issue here actually.
2) Gmail has way more users than "iCloud.com" so more people know of it.

F4C4
Jul 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Hey, don't bother getting my e-mail, because it will change soon...

@me.com... @icloud.com... @it.will.change.again.soon.com

I wish I could just have an @mac.com which makes more sense.

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
As long as I can keep my .mac email addresses I don't care :)

nydennis
Jul 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
I tried to create a nydennis@icloud.com email address. I entered nydennis@icloud.com in the primary email spot when it asked. It came back with the message that nydennis@icloud.com is already in use (or some wording similar to that) (Nydennis@icloud.com is not my normal me.com email)

utahman130
Jul 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
Why did Apple not start out with @icloud.com for iCloud users in the first place?

job2
Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
I tried to create a nydennis@icloud.com email address. I entered nydennis@icloud.com in the primary email spot when it asked. It came back with the message that nydennis@icloud.com is already in use (or some wording similar to that) (Nydennis@icloud.com is not my normal me.com email)

On your iPhone?

Navdakilla
Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
ughhh. I don't even use mine anyways, unless iOS randomly defaults to that email

nydennis
Jul 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
On your iPhone?

from my macbook pro. Not sure if it means anything or not. I figured let me try nydennis@icloud.com when it asked for a primary email address.

Niknar
Jul 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Still love my .mac email but got no problems having more options and that it's all free now.

Thunderhawks
What a mess!

1. me.com is cleaner than icloud.com.
2. First a transition to me.com from mac.com. Too many transitions.
3. Will they consolidate Apple IDs finally!!

I have had a mac.com email address since iTools since around 2000/2001 when it was first introduced. So when the iTunes store initially launched my mac.com address was my Apple ID. With the move to MobileMe, that became my primary email but mac.com was still my Apple ID. Now with iCloud, I still have both but mac.com is my Apple ID and the only thing I use that for.

If it becomes icloud.com then make that my Apple ID and transition all my purchase history to it. And be done with the transitions!!

Gave up @mac.com at the time as none of it was working and not worth the money.

Never liked @me and totally dislike @icloud. (as will many people I predict)

Apple you are messing it up even more!!!!!!!

Go back to the mac (literally!)

Time to get a vanity e-mail and forward :-(

Kilamite
Don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's just brand awareness - an @icloud.com email popping up in your inbox will folk knowing the brand like @gmail.com did.

And we don't have to use it. As far as I'm aware, @me.com will be available for new users too.

Finally, they'll never get rid of the legacy @mac.com aliases for original .Mac users. Sure iCloud is free now, but when I signed up for .Mac, it wasn't, so I paid for my @mac.com alias.

job2
Jul 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
from my macbook pro. Not sure if it means anything or not. I figured let me try nydennis@icloud.com when it asked for a primary email address.

Huh? When clicking the option "Create an Apple ID" and then choosing "Ge a free iCloud email address", the alias field ends with "@me.com".

miniroll32
Jul 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
GREAT! So now I have alter all my docs and business cards with another address. Again.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z272/miniroll32/Memes/HomeAlone.jpg

newnomad
Jul 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
I understand .mac .me and .icloud will act as aliases. but does this mean that in the near future people who sign up cannot get a .me anymore? So if you want a short and sweet .me, and dont use icoud yet, you'd better sign up now to claim your legacy .me?

nydennis
Jul 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Huh? When clicking the option "Create an Apple ID" and then choosing "Ge a free iCloud email address", the alias field ends with "@me.com".

Odd, I updated the computer and it did tell me the nydennis@icloud was in use but after I restarted it now comes up as .me and won't let me repeat it on the macbook.

WhySoSerious
I feel bad for all of you who have to use @me or @iCloud.

@mac veteran here. :D

Mal

Rocketman

No need to change your email address. Anyone who has an @me.com email address will continue to have that for the foreseeable future (presumably until Apple itself fails, because the negative PR of ending that isn't worth the small amount of money to keep it active). Anyone who had an @mac.com email address still does as well, like me. This is simply for new subscribers, and to keep things consistent, existing users also get one, which is simply an alias to their existing address.

jW

finalcut
Jul 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
oh well another change. That's it for me, I am going back with gmail. This is just rediculous :mad:

DrStern
Jul 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, they should have either stuck with me.com, or never changed from Mac.com. icloud.com is one ugly domain name.

slavey
Jul 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
I will not be happy until I have my @eworld.com address back. ;)

Aetles
Jul 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
I don't get why tech-savvy people would use an email service with a domain name that someone else own and control. Especially Apple with their track record. I had a good @mac.com address once but sold it since I decided to use my own domain name.

A domain name is less than $10 a year and it's yours forever. You are in complete control and you can change provider without changes your email address. Ever.

I use my own domain name with Google Apps right now, It is a good service considering the cost (no cost but - of course - ads if I use the web interface). But if I one day find that Google is doing a little too much evil, then I can change to some other provider. And none of my contacts would notice it.

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
... as of now, I have first.lastname @me.com - nice and short. I will wait until Apple comes up with an even longer service name. Something like iComplementory or so. Then, I can impress my friends and family with that awesome super long email first.lastname @icomplementory.apple. Now, that works as a prank to give it to people on a touch phone, especially if they are beyond 50: "You want to have my email address? Sure, get your phone, I'll tell you." And when they are ready, you start to quickly spell a 50-letter address. That is fun to watch. If you get them to break out in sweatty hives in under 15sec, you might score a new record! :D

zombiecakes
Jul 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Pretty sure youll be able to keep the same address forever, it would be foolish to disable emails as they are like phone numbers and used to receive important information/bills. I think even ISP's let you keep access to your email after youve canceled.

And I like the @me domain, its one of the best if not the best email domains you can get, theres no brand recognition with it and it makes sense as an email, Im glad I got one when I could

gwest
Jul 16, 2012, 03:52 PM

I disagree. Anyone who didn't know "me" is just as ignorant of "iCloud". At least there was no misspelling of "me" (eyecloud.com)

AMG63
Jul 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
If that is the case why change everyone's email to @icloud.com why not just leave it has it is and use that has your login for there social network?
Facebook has email and it is @Facebook.com

If that were the case, I don't think they would be automatically generating @icloud emails for people that already have @me addresses.

My point is that Apple is clearly disassociating www.me.com and associating www.icloud.com as your portal for email, calendar, contacts, etc. A domain name with as much value as me.com is not going to turn into a redirect or simply be abandoned. I would bet that it's going to be used for something big, and what better name for a website / application that manages your personal social things than me.com.

The iOS6 shared photo stream is a major clue of what Apple could be slowly bringing to the market.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Shared-Photo-Stream.jpeg

rockland
Jul 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry but this is control-freakery gone mad.

As others have noted, how about putting their energy into actually making the user experience, you know, simpler (like their beautiful hardware) rather than dragging us kicking and screaming through (yet) another rebranding.

A good start would be untangling the rat's nest of conflicting user/Apple IDs.

coolfactor
Jul 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind dropping all my @me addresses for @iCloud addresses instead.

Your @me.com address will continue to work. Anybody sending an email to you using that address will arrive in your Inbox.

You could configure your email client to use @icloud.com address instead.

This transition is the same as when .Mac switched to MobileMe and they introduced @me.com addresses. All @mac.com addresses continued to work, and is what I've used for the past 10+ years.

doobybiggs
Jul 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
I wonder if I can forward iCloud emails to my google email?

Then this would be appealing to me ....

musio
Jul 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Did I miss something, if you have a @me.com will your name automatically be transferred to iCloud.com extension? Basically, do we need to do anything?

miamialley
Jul 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm so confused as to what this means. Will I be able to use my @me after all this or will it have to transition to @icloud. Obviously Apple wants everything to be @icloud for the visibility. Wow, MobileMe, what a failure.

doaitse
Jul 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
You should never take an email address that:

-contains trademark from the company that happens to serve your email
(in the future you may want to buy a machine from another brand)
- contains the name of your spouse (you may divorce)
- contains the brand of your car (your car may break down)
- your physical address (you may move)
- etc.

It is as simple as that!

Doaitse

Small White Car
Jul 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Gotta say, I'm shocked at the number of people who still like @mac.com.

@mac was what prevented me from using Apple mail! I only switched to it when they made it @me.

To me @mac feels like some silly dress-up game, like, "look at me, I look like I work for Apple!" I mean, I like Star Trek but I wouldn't want to have name@Starfleet.com for my main email. It just seems goofy.

@mac feels the same to me. But I guess I'm in the minority here.

(And yes, @icloud is horrible too...it'd be like if gmail was actually name@googlemail.com. Ugh)

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
i can barely use my iCloud email for anything important as it is because "me.com" gets always filtered as spam (mostly by gmail i noticed) which sucks because i'd love to use it more frequently

faroZ06
Jul 16, 2012, 04:12 PM

Yeah... I have like 10 Apple accounts.

me.com is better because it's short and looks good. One of the main reasons I prefer AOL mail over GMAIL is because of the @aol.com and @aim.com addresses, which look better than @gmail.com (and you get two).

MacHiavelli
Jul 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Apple applied for .apple as a domain with ICANN.

Maybe we'll have .apple mails one day soon.

faroZ06
Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
To me @mac feels like some silly dress-up game, like, "look at me, I look like I work for Apple!" I mean, I like Star Trek but I wouldn't want to have name@Starfleet.com for my main email. It just seems goofy.

@mac feels the same to me. But I guess I'm in the minority here.

(And yes, @icloud is horrible too...it'd be like if gmail was actually name@googlemail.com. Ugh)

I'd want @starfleet.com or @spock.com!

And yes, @icloud.com looks horrible.

----------

Apple applied for the .apple as a domain with ICANN.

Maybe we'll have .apple mails one day soon.

I call making the "apple@apple.apple" address!

powers74
Jul 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sweet! Sianara gmail!

NAG
Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2642?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you want to do it on a per alias basis you'd have to setup a rule in the webmail interface.

StudioGuy
Jul 16, 2012, 04:33 PM
5 @me.com email aliases,
now

#toomanyaliases!

Agreed -- precisely why I haven't used any of these new email domains yet. Guess I'm missing out on part of the cloud, but maintaining one email, my verizon.net address, is more important than confusion.

OT - even using iDevice backup on the cloud put me "almost full" immediately. Just haven't seen the purpose yet, expect for those background/repurchase downloads.

ConnYoungy
Jul 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
There's 6 pages so sorry if someone said this, but Ill be seriously pi**ed off if I lose my @me.com address, how am i supposed to redirect all that mail!?!

Candlelight
Jul 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
I've never had any Mac email addresses, except for 10 minutes ago when I activated my mail in iCloud (which generated a .me account). I think if they wanted to have a solid name they should've just gone with @apple.com. After all it is them, it's not gonna change in three years when they get a new web service, and it ties in with their overall brand.

jontech
Jul 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
it won't let me pick an iCloud address that's already used in ME, which defeats the purpose IMHO

samcraig
Jul 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
For a company that doesn't believe in fragmentation.... :rolleyes:

el3ktro
Jul 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm so confused as to what this means. Will I be able to use my @me after all this or will it have to transition to @icloud. Obviously Apple wants everything to be @icloud for the visibility. Wow, MobileMe, what a failure.

If you sign up to iCloud as a new user, you'll get an @icloud.com address.

If you currently have a @me.com address, you'll also have a @icloud.com address in the future. Mails to your @me.com and your corresponding @icloud.com address will go to the same inbox.

That's it.

robertnq
Jul 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
How bout @idk.com lol cuz it keeps changin'

i think @mac.com was the winner

fjpoblam
Jul 16, 2012, 05:03 PM

I'll be curious to see whether you get to have any say in the matter. I *truly* wish you good luck, though.

Puevlo
Jul 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
Steve would have never let this happen.

SpyderBite
Jul 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
I have never seen so many people with so many issues with a free service.

Coupons must really make you all kinds of crazy.

cargath
Jul 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Can we at least use our iCloud adress as our Apple IDs primary email then? It never worked with the new @me.com i got, so i always had to have an additional throw-away adress, which is pretty annoying.

IJ Reilly
Jul 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Another day, another email domain from Apple.

I already have my .mac and .me addresses and five aliases I claimed at .me when you could still find humorous ones like dontlook@me.com (not mine, but several like that). I give out the various addresses depending on how I feel at the moment. Weird, but kind of fun. Not sure if I'll ever feel like giving out @icloud.com though.

iOSJake
Jul 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
I currently have an @me.com address. As far as I know, I don't have access to the iOS 6 Beta 6 program at this time. How can I make sure I get the same email prefix I currently have when I am transitioned to iCloud.com?

dcorban
Jul 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Who on earth would prefer to use icloud.com instead of me.com?

Antares
Jul 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
I don't understand why so many people are saying that they have to change their e-mail addresses.

Just because Apple now has an @icloud.com address for new users, everyone else can still use their old @me.com or @mac.com addresses. If you were "joe@me.com" or "joe@mac.com"....you can still be that.

Why are so many people saying that they have to change their address to @icloud.com when that's not the case?

Candlelight
Jul 16, 2012, 05:30 PM

I think it's the fact that for seven years Google have kept the same address without any changes, whereas Apple have had three.

Considering emails could be synonymous with a street address, Apple can't stop moving house. :)

TheRainKing
Jul 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
As long as they allow me to keep my <user>@me.com emails I don't care. I don't think I'd ever use a <user>@icloud.com email address.

This. I love my @me.com email address.

I am going to be royally pissed if they force me to switch to @icloud.com

TimTheEnchanter
Jul 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
I don't understand why so many people are saying that they have to change their e-mail addresses.

Just because Apple now has an @icloud.com address for new users, everyone else can still use their old @me.com or @mac.com addresses. If you were joe@me.com or joe@mac.com....you can still be that.

Why are so many people saying that they have to change their address to @icloud.com when that's not the case?

Agreed and hopefully so, as long as they don't pull the plug on mac.com or me.com service. However, my gut tells me they'll want to simplify things at some point.

ConnYoungy
Jul 16, 2012, 05:58 PM

I consider iCloud to be part of the service you are paying for when you buy a Mac/iPhone/iPad...

----------

Just because Apple now has an @icloud.com address for new users, everyone else can still use their old @me.com or @mac.com addresses. If you were "joe@me.com" or "joe@mac.com"....you can still be that.

Because the original articles said"

Apple has revealed in the update's change log that it is beginning the first stages of transitioning users from the me.com email addresses and Apple IDs available under MobileMe to new addresses using icloud.com.

key words: transitions users from me.com to new addresses

Drunken Master
Jul 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Who on earth would prefer to use icloud.com instead of me.com?

I would.

The @me.com sounds a little narcissistic.

steve-p
Jul 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
I don't get why tech-savvy people would use an email service with a domain name that someone else own and control. Especially Apple with their track record. I had a good @mac.com address once but sold it since I decided to use my own domain name.

A domain name is less than $10 a year and it's yours forever. You are in complete control and you can change provider without changes your email address. Ever.

I use my own domain name with Google Apps right now, It is a good service considering the cost (no cost but - of course - ads if I use the web interface). But if I one day find that Google is doing a little too much evil, then I can change to some other provider. And none of my contacts would notice it.

I do the same. I've had the same email addresses for 15 years now, and in that time I've moved the actual email provider three times, without having to inform anyone. If you want the guaranteed same address long term, it's the only way to go, as email services come and go, change names, terms and conditions, functionality etc. What you do need in an email service provider though for this to work successfully is the ability to set the 'from' address to your own domain whenever you send messages or replies. Apple has never allowed this, so I've never used my @me.com address. I can't even remember what it is, so I guess I won't miss it much.

5t3f4n
Jul 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
How can I make sure I get the same email prefix I currently have when I am transitioned to iCloud.com?

I don't think you're allowed to create example@icloud.com if example@me.com already exists.
Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

atMac
Jul 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
I use my @mac for everything and @me is my junk filter. Now I have a 2nd junk filter I guess.

superstrikertwo
Jul 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
You can now login to beta.icloud.com (http://beta.icloud.com) using your iCloud address. Wasn't working earlier.

It just signs you into your typical @me account.

ixodes
Jul 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
It was Steve's uncontrollable narcissism that dictated he create the @ me.com moniker.

It was so distasteful, that I never used my @me address, even though I paid handsomely to use MobileMe.

This change is great news.

Even though I'm less than impressed with iCloud, it's a heck of a lot better than at me.

Out with the old... In with the New... YES :D

Thank You Tim !

bedifferent
Jul 16, 2012, 06:12 PM

Been away, just started reading thread, so forgive me if this has been beaten but

THANK YOU

Tim Cook has mentioned rectifying this matter. I hope soon as having multiple Apple ID's for purchases and verification is a PITA :)

Shame as when @me.com came out, my friend was able to get "me@me.com" registered (he's since not used it, so no worries on it being out there :) ). I thought it was amusing. I liked "theonlyme@me.com" the best.

It was Steve's uncontrollable narcissism that dictated he create the @ me.com moniker.

The initial reason for the change was Apple's launch into MobileMe with Windows systems. The .Mac monicker didn't appeal to those who used iPhone's at the time on a Windows system. Since Apple established the "i" monicker's, "me" seemed to the direction Apple's marketing department wanted to pursue. In their mind, the "i" and "me" are empowering consumer words that give psychological credence to feeling more confident about their purchases. Industrial organizational psychology and marketing = fun! :D

I cancelled my .Mac account years ago, but as it's linked to my developer account, it still works for email. Interesting. I liked mac.com the best. Seemed more, professional.

snowcrash
Jul 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
WOW!!! Some of you either can't speak correctly or deal with some REAL stupid people. Really?!?! Telling someone @ME and you get funny looks or have to "spell it out for them" that someone may think @gmail is @geemail and @iCloud will be @eyecloud (ok I can see that maybe happening but you have to be dealing with some REAL stupid people). Is it REALLY that hard..

"What's your email address?"
"it's username at iCloud dot com, that's letter I cloud dot com"

Holy hell!!! Ruined my day taking up ALL that precious time explaining that to people who don't know my email address. Maybe it's because I always have to spell Aaron (my first name) to people (as well as my last most of the time) that I really don't see it as a HUGE deal. But seriously people you act like "Letter M E" is such a pain. I'm sure unless your name is John Smith and your email address is John@Smith.com you probably have to spell out the "username" part of your email address from time to time.

Now I agree it stinks to have to transition from mac to me and now to iCloud (and I'll admit iCloud sounds goofy) but lets focus and get "real" it's not that hard to say, spell or tell people your correct email.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jul 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
My current email address is williamhu***l@me.com, and if I'm forced to go to williamhu***l@icloud.com, then I'm going to be angry. We don't need to change domains. @me.com is perfect. It's two characters long, short and sweet. Since I couldn't get william@me.com, I had to go with my entire name. My email address is already long enough. I don't want it to be another 4 characters longer. Apple, don't change the domain. Instead, use all this effort to let us merge accounts. People would be happier, too!

SeaFox
Jul 16, 2012, 06:37 PM
@icloud.com ?? GROSS.

There is no reason for this. iCloud is a behind-the-scenes service. Should just stick with the shorter, elegant, me.com.

But they have to find some way to use you to advertise their service.

OllyW
Jul 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
I don't think you're allowed to create example@icloud.com if example@me.com already exists.
Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

When it changed from .Mac to MobileMe, you kept your your.name@mac.com email address and automatically received the additional your.name@me.com address. I would imagine it will be the same for the iCloud.com addresses.

doobybiggs
Jul 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2642?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you want to do it on a per alias basis you'd have to setup a rule in the webmail interface.

oh very cool! Will have to do this then...

Scrapula
Jul 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
Yes. It's been kept the same with .mac and me for years. :)

Yeah, and I get two emails. Now I will get 3. :(

dsburdette
Jul 16, 2012, 07:06 PM

Amen to that! As they say, "We can put a man on the moon but Apple can't merge accounts."

Highlander-
Jul 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
I wish I could get a .me email address - it's still possible? A .mac would be even better. icloud? No thanks... I'd rather have @applemail over icloud.

blow45
Jul 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
there simply doing that to use us to advertise their service, I find it rather shameless. me.com works perfectly well and it's associated with icloud, no need to advertise icloud with you mail address too.

thefourthpope
Jul 16, 2012, 07:39 PM

Why can't you get @mac? Mine still works just fine.

----------

Maybe the point is that there's no real need for the change, and it's fracturing the always precious apple ecosystem?
I certainly have my issues with the iCloud service in general, but this isn't one of them. I think it's a silly handle, but so is the @mac I use and love.

----------

Agreed. I'm confused by the confusions.

PDFierro
Jul 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
This is what should have happened when iCloud launched last year.

ItsGavinC
Jul 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
My current email address is williamhu***l@me.com, and if I'm forced to go to williamhu***l@icloud.com, then I'm going to be angry. We don't need to change domains. @me.com is perfect. It's two characters long, short and sweet. Since I couldn't get william@me.com, I had to go with my entire name. My email address is already long enough. I don't want it to be another 4 characters longer. Apple, don't change the domain. Instead, use all this effort to let us merge accounts. People would be happier, too!

Holy siht, some people need to learn to read.

Nobody is forcing you to change domains. Your @icloud address is already up and running. Use it, or don't use it. It won't make any difference.

Jumpthrough
Jul 16, 2012, 07:52 PM

I am another person who agrees with this!

I remember the first time I received an email from someone with a @me.com addy (yikes)! I had no idea where this type of email address could have came from, at first I thought it had to be some sort of typo on the senders part, then I was afraid to even email them back and ask because I thought it might be one of those weird Nigerian email scam things!:p I had to actually google @me.com to figure the whole thing out.

I vote for @mac.com thats much sweeter!

pubwvj
Jul 16, 2012, 08:13 PM
Apple discontinued MobileMe in favor of iCloud as of June 30, although MobileMe users are still able to transition their accounts to iCloud for a limited time.

This is why I don't trust Apple services. They keep discontinuing things left and right. We need stability to get our work done. Who wants to get their business cards, stationary, brochures, ads and other media all updated just because Apple decides to churn the market with dropping a services? Not me. Buy your own domain name and don't use Apple or other providers like them. Besides, having your own domain name is more professional.

5t3f4n
Jul 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
Who wants to get their business cards, stationary, brochures, ads and other media all updated

Who would use another business's e-mail addresses instead of their own on their business card?

einmusiker
Jul 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Gmail ftw. Apple cant compete with the service. Stick with what you do best APPL... Simple software that works on great hardware with user-friendly interface

kycophpd
Jul 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
So i logged into the beta.icloud.com and sent an email from the new iCloud.com as a test. I sent it to my @me.com .... it ended up in my junk email folder?!?! So Apple thinks iCloud is junk?

atMac
Jul 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
When do we get the iCloud email? I have the beta but it doesn't say how to get the new email.

AidenShaw
Jul 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
So Apple thinks iCloud is junk?

Apple retired the "think different" tag line a long time ago.

superstrikertwo
Jul 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
I can't set the @iCloud email as primary for iTunes.

I'm still stuck with using my old @gmail account for now. Ugh.

Macman45
Jul 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
5 @me.com email aliases,
now

#toomanyaliases!

Same thing here....I don't need any more addresses....I guess we don't have to have the cloud offering though...I'm guessing it just appears in the settings / accounts screen?

steffi
Jul 16, 2012, 08:44 PM
There's no automatically reserving of @icloud.com's from the @me.com's so I think it you don't participate in the beta program somebody else will take your matching @me.com.

atMac
Jul 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
Well got my @iCLoud, but I can only send from it, gmail bounces back from it.

kiwiboi87
Jul 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
try going to mac.com and see what they did with it...

just takes me to apple.com

i like my me.com email, people love it they think its nice
and different,

i have a hotmail, apple id. and my me.com email.
i don't want iCloud.com
yuck, to long and to much hard work having to update and change all of my info, banks etc

merge the apple ids and iCloud accounts,

theanimaster
Jul 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
This is exactly the reason I never went with Apple email addresses in the first place. First it was @mac, then @me... now @iCloud... it seems it'll only keep changing.

I've had a gmail address all this time. One address -- remains the same throughout the years.

Apple email is about as unreliable as the service itself. Remember the .mac and MobileMe server downtimes? Don't forget this is a PAID-for service too! How about DUPLICATE CALENDAR EVENTS -- one of the most annoying and STILL biting my ass even with iCloud!

iCloud is still cloudy... but at least it's closer to perfection than its predecessors. Still... until Apple offers a FREE iCloud email service to AT LEAST its mac users (who paid premium for their machines), I'm not going to trust any company that demands a ransom for its users' email -- not when Google's out there giving it all away for 'free'.

atMac
Jul 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
What are you guys complaining about? They aren't "changing" your address. THey are giving you an additional one.

I still use my @mac for EVERYTHING. Why are you guys acting like you HAVE to use your @iCloud?

Weaselboy
Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 PM

You can do that now. Login to your account at iCloud.com and in the mail settings you can forward your email.

Svirchev
Jul 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
Can't the PR guys and gals figure out that some things should remain stable?

There was nothing wrong with @mac.com but it got changed to @me.com.

Now another change to @icloud.com.

All to what end? In my view it confuses the consumer, causes extra work for the consumer, and only seems to serve a corporate advertising policy.

And my correspondents don't like changes of my address either.

If the city changed the name of my street every 2 years, would I be happy?

I ain't changin' my address.

bretm
Jul 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Great, now I have a mac.com, me.com and now icloud.com.

I already made my transition form mac.com to me.com and I'll probably leave it at that.

No you don't. Me.com doesn't become iCloud.com. New accounts, or developers with me.com (presuamably beta testing ml) get iCloud in place of me.com.

Me.com is pretty vain anyway. Never have I used it. It's always Mac.com. Only thing better would be apple.com.

Sixtafoua
Jul 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
I feel like @me.com sounds better than @iCloud.com

bretm
Jul 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
Can't the PR guys and gals figure out that some things should remain stable?

There was nothing wrong with @mac.com but it got changed to @me.com.

Now another change to @icloud.com.

All to what end? In my view it confuses the consumer, causes extra work for the consumer, and only seems to serve a corporate advertising policy.

And my correspondents don't like changes of my address either.

If the city changed the name of my street every 2 years, would I be happy?

I ain't changin' my address.

Absolutely no one has EVER had to change their email address nor do they have to now, nor are you getting iCloud.com acct. your post is moot.

LurkingIowan
Jul 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
So if I understand this correctly, if I enable iCloud email for the first time right now (using iOS 5) I will be assigned an @me email address. At some unspecified point in the future (after upgrading to iOS 6), I will then be given a matching @iCloud alias? :confused:

Bigskygangsta
Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
Playing pool tonight everyone was ragging me for havin a @me.com address saying I was a narcissist!!!! Please explain that! Of course it ended in an all out brawl cause I knew they was messin with me. Thanks apple!!!

cuddapah
Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
Well got my @iCLoud, but I can only send from it, gmail bounces back from it.

How did you get @icloud.com ?

SevengerNC
Jul 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
My iCloud log-in is with my gmail acct. Will I get and do I need and how do I get an iCloud.com name ?

ProVideo
Jul 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
I think I'll stick with @me.com as long as they allow. People I know and work with still have me in their address books for both @mac and @me. It's a pain in the ass when they send out emails to everyone in their address book and I get the same message twice for the same account. I don't want them to add @icloud as well and end up getting three messages.

MacDownunder
Jul 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
.me is dorky
.icloud is worse

Stop press - new domain for email @ios.com when they finally complete the merging (read dumbing down of Mac OS).

I missed a .mac acct so have .me - I WANT .mac not .me, not .icloud nor any other domain Apple want to thrust down my throat - if it's all aliased then why can I not have .mac?:rolleyes:

macness
Jul 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
so if i have an @me account and move it to iCloud then it will still be @me.com? what if i want it to change to @icloud.com???

AidenShaw
Jul 16, 2012, 10:34 PM
Stop press - new domain for email @ios.com when they finally complete the merging (read dumbing down of Mac OS).

I missed a .mac acct so have .me - I WANT .mac not .me, not .icloud nor any other domain Apple want to thrust down my throat - if it's all aliased then why can I not have .mac?:rolleyes:

Just go with Gmail or get a vanity domain.

Why would you want an email address that screams "I am one of the sheep"?

We've trashed job applicants because of "mac.com" or "me.com" email addresses.

insocal
Jul 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Wouldn't it be great if they'd actually fix the issue of mail not pushing to iOS devices first? I can't believe it's 9 months later and a lot of us still have to open the Mail App in order to get mail to download. Was never an issue on MobileMe. And still Apple Techs deny there is any problem. Unreal.

macness
Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
Just go with Gmail or get a vanity domain.

Why would you want an email address that screams "I am one of the sheep"?

Doesn't a "GMAIL" account just make you one of the 'other' sheep??

denaliOnDubs
Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
I prefer the @me.com. iCloud was still handing out me addresses earlier today.

macness
Jul 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
hhahaah,
So let me get this straight..
in order to get an @me or @icloud mail address you first have to create an apple id, but but buuuuutt in order to create an apple id you have to use an email address thats neither of the two. example: GMAIL.
and then once you've created an apple id using GMAIL uthen have to make an @me or @icloud account to use mail??? Why wouldn't apple just allow you to use one of their domain names as an apple id instead of forcing us to use one one of their competitors?? (GMAIL)

makes nooooo sense whatsoever :confused:

SevengerNC
Jul 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Awfully confusing, and I still don't know how to get an iCloud name or if I even need one. I'd prefer to have my apple & iCloud names the same - except for the domain of course.

Battlefield Fan
Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
When I transition my ####@me.com account to an ####@icloud.com account will all my emails with @me.com still be sent to @icloud.com???

David Menzel
Jul 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
hhahaah,
So let me get this straight..
in order to get an @me or @icloud mail address you first have to create an apple id, but but buuuuutt in order to create an apple id you have to use an email address thats neither of the two. example: GMAIL.
and then once you've created an apple id using GMAIL uthen have to make an @me or @icloud account to use mail??? Why wouldn't apple just allow you to use one of their domain names as an apple id instead of forcing us to use one one of their competitors?? (GMAIL)

makes nooooo sense whatsoever :confused:

You can use a @me.com or @icloud.com mail address as an Apple ID without any other GMail, GMX, Hotmail, Yahoo or whatever email address. Just go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Add Account > iCloud and create a new Free ID by choosing a @me.com (before iOS 6 beta 3) or now @icloud.com mail address.

SeaFox
Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
...Apple has revealed in the update's change log that it is beginning the first stages of transitioning users from the me.com email addresses and Apple IDs available under MobileMe to new addresses using icloud.com.

This part is written in a way that suggests people are going to have to give up their existing @me.com and @mac.com addresses and start using new ones @icloud.com, where no evidence of that happening. Apple is simply ceasing to issue new @me.com addresses and is giving new registrations @icloud.com addresses instead going forward.

And folks wonder why there's so many people out of work right now. Kinda hard to have a recovery when there are hiring managers who will turn someone down because they're so petty they take offense at what email provider applicants use, regardless of of how this impacts their qualifications.

It's not like they're putting "hotmom@swingerparadise.net" on a job application or something.

djn4eva
Jul 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
if they take away the @me.com ill be using Gmail as my primary email account :rolleyes:

musio
Jul 17, 2012, 02:41 AM
I don't think if you have the me.com you'll automatically get the iCloud.com name which is a shame as you'll loose it. I tired emailing my user@me.com with the iCloud.com domain and it said user not found :(

hppy29
Jul 17, 2012, 03:13 AM
Just logged into my beta.icloud.com account which now shows beta on it.

Just to clarify, I signed in with my normal username you use for iclould, then in preference it shows me,mac and iclould extensions under accounts (they are not set as one of your alias). Any mail sent to and from any of those extensions all end up in the same sent/in box.

You can select on icloud.com(beta) and on iOS6 what extension you want to send from....

So you can continue to use EITHER your .mac, .me or iCloud.com

Jonze
Jul 17, 2012, 03:15 AM
If they force me into having @icloud.com and lose my @me.com email I will dump Apple email as icloud is dumb domain choice.

Do peoples @mac.com emails still work?

hppy29
Jul 17, 2012, 03:17 AM
I don't think if you have the me.com you'll automatically get the iCloud.com name which is a shame as you'll loose it. I tired emailing my user@me.com with the iCloud.com domain and it said user not found :(

Once apple update your developer account you will also get a .clould address AS well as your.me address

----------

If they force me into having @icloud.com and lose my @me.com email I will dump Apple email as icloud is dumb domain choice.

Do peoples @mac.com emails still work?

Yes they do.

And will people calm down. I think its more a branding issue than a must use issue.

My beta icloud account now shows under accounts .mac .me and icloud.com YOU can choose which you want to use....

champ01
Jul 17, 2012, 03:19 AM
Let me post what 99% is thinking.

MERGE THOSE ACCOUNTS APPLE BECAUSE HAVING MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS SUCK!!!

I know Apple knows this but they try to keep it on a low profile.
Let us scream until we get what we want.

BillyBobBongo
Jul 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
My beta icloud account now shows under accounts .mac .me and icloud.com YOU can choose which you want to use....

Exactly!

People talking of merging accounts need to calm down. You have one AppleID with three email aliases (if you're a veteran). I log in with the same details I always have and I can use @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com. The choice is entirely up to me.

In the settings I can even turn the ones I don't want to use off so that I only send email through the @mac.com address. Email of course will come in from the other two aliases.

Four oF NINE
Jul 17, 2012, 03:58 AM
Ok, e-mail accounts are forever, apparently..

In addition to the xxxxxx@me.com, I still have xxxxxxx@mac.com..

For that matter, my ancient xxxxxxx@netscape.net still works (and it gets pushed to my Mac Mail too :) )

snowleopard48
Jul 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
This is stupid. I'm sorry but it just is - trading 2 characters for 6 characters (plus a .com) is just bizarre, considering how personal and awesome it is, and how much that domain cost them in the first place. I personally didn't have either .Mac or MobileMe, but signed up for an iCloud short after launch and made a @me.com, and absolutely love it. It's short, sweet and easy to remember. Why they would phase this out is absolutely beyond me.

I'd love to see something like you get (or at least, used to) with hotmail/yahoo - They have a set of domains and you can choose which to use, mac, me, or iCloud. THAT would be awesome.

sean5900
Jul 17, 2012, 04:27 AM
For some reason I like @icloud better than @me

hppy29
Jul 17, 2012, 04:36 AM
This is stupid. I'm sorry but it just is - trading 2 characters for 6 characters (plus a .com) is just bizarre, considering how personal and awesome it is, and how much that domain cost them in the first place. I personally didn't have either .Mac or MobileMe, but signed up for an iCloud short after launch and made a @me.com, and absolutely love it. It's short, sweet and easy to remember. Why they would phase this out is absolutely beyond me.

I'd love to see something like you get (or at least, used to) with hotmail/yahoo - They have a set of domains and you can choose which to use, mac, me, or iCloud. THAT would be awesome.

It is not stupid at all!

1. Its about branding, why offer an email extension for a service that is no longer offered. They are not stopping you from using your old .me or .mac so its not really an issue.

2. Its a free service, you don't like it.. well don't use it. If people prefer to use gmail or their own email you can add these on your device its no big deal. It would however be a big issues if they refused to let you use the old .mac or .me extension.

3. This is still in beta, unless you are a developer it shouldn't really be worrying you yet. People need to stop jumping to conclusions about the loss of email addresses and services, and websites that report things like this (MR) should also update their original article to reflect the changes instead of getting people all wound up.

cargath
Jul 17, 2012, 05:30 AM
Exactly!

People talking of merging accounts need to calm down. You have one AppleID with three email aliases (if you're a veteran). I log in with the same details I always have and I can use @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com. The choice is entirely up to me.

In the settings I can even turn the ones I don't want to use off so that I only send email through the @mac.com address. Email of course will come in from the other two aliases.

No. I have created an Apple ID some time ago using my @web.de email. When i got Lion, i used this Apple ID to activate iCloud, because i wanted to keep my previous iTunes and App Store purchases. I then activated iCloud mail and got an @me.com adress.

Now i really want to throw away my ancient @web.de adress and use my @me.com adress as my Apple IDs primary email. I can add the @me.com adress, but i can't make it my primary email, so i have to keep using @web.de or to replace it with another non-iCloud adress.

If i had created a new Apple ID, i would have gotten one with an @me.com adress as its primary email, but i would have lost my previous purchases, because i would not have been able to merge these two Apple IDs.

I want to completely move into Apples ecosystem. That's something Apple should want me to do, but they won't let me.

It's madness.

rikahlberg
Jul 17, 2012, 05:31 AM
As long as my @mac.com address (and its aliases) don't get deprecated, I'll be fine with this. I paid for that @mac.com address for years, so it's my login for a zillion web sites.

But i'm still required to use a non- @mac.com address for my iTunes account. And a chance to merge my Mac App Store account login and my iTunes account login would be welcome, too.

Hopefully this new @icloud.com domain is something only new-to-iPhone users will get assigned when they set up their shiny new phone for the first time.

James Godfrey
Jul 17, 2012, 05:32 AM
So can someone who is currently using this answer a few questions for me.... my apple ID is currently xxx@hotmail.co.uk, my apple email address is xxx@me.com, since opening my me.com email address when iOS 5 got released I haven't been able to make it the default email address for my apple ID making me keep my hotmail email address just for iTunes invoices etc...

Now with the introduction of @iCloud.com will my current xxx@me.com also receive email that is sent to xxx@iCloud.com and also will i now be able to change my Apple ID's default email address to my new @iCloud.com email address????

Thanks

James

snowleopard48
Jul 17, 2012, 05:54 AM
It is not stupid at all!

1. Its about branding, why offer an email extension for a service that is no longer offered. They are not stopping you from using your old .me or .mac so its not really an issue.

2. Its a free service, you don't like it.. well don't use it. If people prefer to use gmail or their own email you can add these on your device its no big deal. It would however be a big issues if they refused to let you use the old .mac or .me extension.

3. This is still in beta, unless you are a developer it shouldn't really be worrying you yet. People need to stop jumping to conclusions about the loss of email addresses and services, and websites that report things like this (MR) should also update their original article to reflect the changes instead of getting people all wound up.

I totally get you. I think my point is just I'd like:

• New users to have the choice of what they'd like

•*To keep all existing addresses indefinitely.

wazgilbert
Jul 17, 2012, 05:55 AM

Absolutely. hoping they never ask me to give that up for progress!

old-school
Jul 17, 2012, 07:06 AM
Apple has said that iMessage will merge numbers and emails in iOS6. Last I heard on them merging Apple IDs it was an email from Tim Cook saying 'we're working on it". Maybe the move to iCloud emails will merge Apple IDs.

el3ktro
Jul 17, 2012, 07:07 AM

CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ!?

You're the maybe 100th person in this forum complaining how Apple sucks and how they will leave Apple when they loose their @me.com address, despite Apple clearly stating that the @me.com addreses will NOT be removed.

Did you all get it now: YOU'LL ALL KEEP YOUR @ME.COM ADDRESSES!

Please can you at least read the article before you start commenting and ask stupid questions that are already answered in the article itself!

hickabob
Jul 17, 2012, 07:14 AM
I won't be changing my umpteen million accounts email address... So they better let me keep @me.

----------

CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ!?

You're the maybe 100th person in this forum complaining how Apple sucks and how they will leave Apple when they loose their @me.com address, despite Apple clearly stating that the @me.com addreses will NOT be removed.

Please can you at least read the article before you start commenting and ask stupid questions that are already answered in the article itself!

I don't think it's that stupid of a question or comment when Apple has a track record of changing BIG things without notice or remorse... I know this article says you keep your current address, but a year from now they could decide simply for marketing purposes that they don't like those other @s and discontinue them JUST for the sake of the iCloud brand.

OllyW
Jul 17, 2012, 07:14 AM
Now with the introduction of @iCloud.com will my current xxx@me.com also receive email that is sent to xxx@iCloud.com

Almost certainly yes.

...and also will i now be able to change my Apple ID's default email address to my new @iCloud.com email address????

Probably not, unless they have a major overhaul.

pdjudd
Jul 17, 2012, 07:33 AM
CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ!?

Indeed. We never saw active .mac users loose their .mac email addresses when MobileMe came out so why would Apple change that. It takes a ridiculously small amount of effort to maintain the old address (it's almost certainly just an extra line in their account details) and maintaining the old domain.

Absolutely. hoping they never ask me to give that up for progress!
I give Apple a little bit of benefit of the doubt here. They are not that dumb to drop something like this (email) without giving people tons of explicit warnings. They gave people a years notice (almost) when they dropped support for iDrive. You would have to give me a damned good reason why they would kill off a simple send to stub in their account - it literally has no affect on their mail system. There is literally no reason to drop old email addresses at all - especially when Apple didn't do it to .mac.

Poisednoise
Jul 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Just give me a service that doesn't ever drop and I'll be happy.

Anyone else experiencing a complete lack of service on outgoing Apple mail servers at present? :confused:

Akira1980
Jul 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
I wish they had stuck with @mac.com

Yup, I am keeping my .mac. :)

palenran
Jul 17, 2012, 10:27 AM
YES!!!

The only reason I still have a gmail account is, ironically, because that's what I originally registered my iTunes account with and Apple is pretty much forcing me to do it. I switched to iCloud mail last year, and they will not let me merge, so now I have to keep my gmail account open so that I can still keep all my content. It's kind of ridiculous.

Same here. I am stuck with a hotmail account that I don't want any more because my apple ID is my hotmail email address. I switched everything in my life over to @me.com, except my Apple ID, which won't allow me to. How ironic that Apple is the only company that won't let me change my ID to an Apple-branded email.:confused:

AidenShaw
Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Kinda hard to have a recovery when there are hiring managers who will turn someone down because they're so petty they take offense at what email provider applicants use, regardless of of how this impacts their qualifications.

Considering that our division does Windows and *nix software, it doesn't help a borderline resume to see an Apple domain at the top.

If the candidate is well-qualified, it won't matter.

macness
Jul 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
I want to completely move into Apples ecosystem. That's something Apple should want me to do, but they won't let me.

It's madness.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! YOU HIT THAT ONE RIGHT ON THE HEAD. THAT"S MY WHOLE POINT! IT'S ALMOST LIKE THEY WANT ME TO HAVE A GMAIL ACCOUNT??

djtech42
Jul 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm so sick of having my old gmail as my Apple ID. I just want to use my shiny new iCloud email as my primary email. It's ridiculous getting my Apple emails in my old email. I have to forward everything from my gmail to my iCloud just so I can get the emails. I want to move into the Apple ecosystem completely, but Apple won't let me, which is insane. :eek: I can't wait until the day that I only have to use my gmail for Youtube and nothing else. (That's another thing that bothers me: Youtube forcing me to use my gmail instead of my primary email, but that's Google's fault). We need people to contact Apple and make it known that this is a high priority issue and needs to be resolved ASAP. It shouldn't be too hard to let people use their @me/@icloud email as their Apple ID. At least they give you the choice between @me and @icloud.

atMac
Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
How did you get @icloud.com ?

i loged into beta.icloud.com and when i checked Alias iCloud.com was listed and it let me send from it to my gmail, but I could not reply.

I can also only send from it from the website I can not send from it on my phone or mail.app, i get a message about the server rejecting the sender when I try to email from them.

rock15478
Jul 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
This is why I use myfirstname@myfirstnamelastname.com

I then use Google Apps to have it all in Gmail, but maintaining a professional email address.

However, if iCloud Mail gets more stable and I decide to change off of Gmail down the road, I don't have to change my email address. It's my email address for life.

Owning your own domain, YOU remain in control and can choose whatever service you want depending on what you want at that point in time.

atMac
Jul 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
I'm so sick of having my old gmail as my Apple ID. I just want to use my shiny new iCloud email as my primary email. It's ridiculous getting my Apple emails in my old email. I have to forward everything from my gmail to my iCloud just so I can get the emails. I want to move into the Apple ecosystem completely, but Apple won't let me, which is insane. :eek: I can't wait until the day that I only have to use my gmail for Youtube and nothing else. (That's another thing that bothers me: Youtube forcing me to use my gmail instead of my primary email, but that's Google's fault). We need people to contact Apple and make it known that this is a high priority issue and needs to be resolved ASAP. It shouldn't be too hard to let people use their @me/@icloud email as their Apple ID. At least they give you the choice between @me and @icloud.

THey should be able to join accounts. I have a .Mac and an @gmail ID in iTunes. It sucks that I have to use both, but at least with the DRM free stuff now I can download all my gmail bought stuff and then I don't have to use it anymore.

They really make it a PITA to work in their ecosystem when it comes to web tools.

ThunderSkunk
Jul 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
.mac was nice, short and respectable
.me sounds egotistical
.icloud sounds like apple using my email to advertising some new product of the year

I'd consider using apples email service if I could still use my companies domain name.
Until them, I'm stuck with gmail-based service I guess. Yay.

kurosov
Jul 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
Considering that our division does Windows and *nix software, it doesn't help a borderline resume to see an Apple domain at the top.

That is the stupidest reasoning i have ever heard for making such a decision.

pdjudd
Jul 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just give me a service that doesn't ever drop and I'll be happy.

Such a service pretty much doesn't exist - especially in the free realm. I'm willing to bet that email services go down far more than you think - the service might be accessible overall but it may but actually getting new emails is probably less instantaneous than you might think.

bedifferent
Jul 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just logged into my beta.icloud.com account which now shows beta on it.

Just to clarify, I signed in with my normal username you use for iclould, then in preference it shows me,mac and iclould extensions under accounts (they are not set as one of your alias). Any mail sent to and from any of those extensions all end up in the same sent/in box.

You can select on icloud.com(beta) and on iOS6 what extension you want to send from....

So you can continue to use EITHER your .mac, .me or iCloud.com

Yup, I loaded iOS 6 B3 on my iPads and iPS, with 10.8 GM running on my 12-Core Mac Pro, the @icloud.com extension was available for use in addition to my @me.com (not in lieu of) - and still have my @mac.com account :).

On another note, Apple should allow merging iTunes I.D.'s. It's extremely irritating to have three iTunes "accounts" that all must be verified on your Mac's and devices. It is also discouraging that only 5 systems may be authorized at a time with your accounts and can only be reset once a year. Last year I sold a MacBook Pro and forgot to de-authorize one of my accounts, which is at it's max of 5 systems in use. I cannot remove it and I have to wait to November to "refresh" it from authorization on all systems.

Bottom line, Apple's iTunes support is crap, especially without phone support.

Snookerman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
2015:

Apple Rolling Out iCloudStoragePro.com Email addresses with iOS 9 Beta 3

iDuel
Jul 17, 2012, 02:25 PM

That is a stupid reason. It should not matter at all what email service provider someone uses. The email provider they use should not have ANY bearing on whether or not they get hired.

I seriously feel bad for people who apply for work with you, as they are being judged on such petty things.

Vizin
Jul 17, 2012, 02:26 PM

macgrl
Jul 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
I have a problem now that since me.com came along I can send and receive from my xxxx@me.com and xxxx@mac.com address from my mac but can only send from my xxxx@me.com address on my iphone and ipad and can't send from xxxx@mac.com..it just doesn't show up as an option....does anyone else have this issue?

if icloud.com comes along maybe i will lose the ability to send from my xxxx@me.com also and just be able to send from xxxx@icloud.com

sandys101
Jul 17, 2012, 03:41 PM

You would hardly find such stupid who is not aware of Google or Gmail.:D:D:D

erushurerx
Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 PM

Damn straight!! :apple: