PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Hilarious Siri versus Google Search Video

Phokus
Jul 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmixtB9dZM&feature=player_detailpage#t=195s

I can't stop laughing. What is Siri's obsession with Stallions? :D

lordofthereef
Jul 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
That made Siri look embarassingly worthless! I will say, I wonder if this was ONLY the things Siri failed at. As much as I personally dislike Siri, I can't imagine it bombed everything and Android aced it. I could be wrong, though.

Phokus
Jul 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
That made Siri look embarassingly worthless! I will say, I wonder if this was ONLY the things Siri failed at. As much as I personally dislike Siri, I can't imagine it bombed everything and Android aced it. I could be wrong, though.

Well, these were more complex questions. Seems like Google Search beats Siri in most videos, but they're closer than this. However, those other videos usually feature more 'everyday' questions.

Edit: It's really baffling (and hilarious :D) how Siri kept on going on about "Stallions" when it had nothing to do with the subsequent questions though.

charlieegan3
Jul 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
bizarre questions but interesting none the less.

NovemberWhiskey
Jul 16, 2012, 03:33 PM

JB's Google Now is really amazing. Try it out sometime if you get a chance. Not perfect, but def better than Siri except with calendar appointments imo, since Google only sets alarms rather than real calendar appts.

cyks
Jul 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oh look... yet another Android vs. iOS thread. Just what we needed.

There are countless other threads that this could have been posted in.

bjones521
Jul 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hahaha this was funny!!

Phokus
Jul 16, 2012, 04:10 PM

You should probably lighten up, you sound ********.

WRP
Jul 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm still not comfortable talking to my electronics.

lordofthereef
Jul 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
JB's Google Now is really amazing. Try it out sometime if you get a chance. Not perfect, but def better than Siri except with calendar appointments imo, since Google only sets alarms rather than real calendar appts.

I actually have it on my GNex :)

I was just trying to say that in that video, Siri was especially terrible. More terrible than I have ever experienced Siri, and I have a pretty low opinion about Siri from personal use.

batting1000
Jul 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a bug or something. I've had issues with Siri where she'll ask you a yes or no question like when doing a Google search. Instead of saying no, you answer with a different question and she'll do what she did in the video.

lordofthereef
Jul 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Well, these were more complex questions. Seems like Google Search beats Siri in most videos, but they're closer than this. However, those other videos usually feature more 'everyday' questions.

Edit: It's really baffling (and hilarious :D) how Siri kept on going on about "Stallions" when it had nothing to do with the subsequent questions though.

I get that. As it stands now, Google's option is better, hoever I am going to reserve judgement until we get iOS 6.0's Siri. For me, Siri has basically always been worse than simply typing a question into Google, but in this video it was especially terrible (it didn't find anything the girl was asking it to).

batting1000
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
I get that. As it stands now, Google's option is better, hoever I am going to reserve judgement until we get iOS 6.0's Siri. For me, Siri has basically always been worse than simply typing a question into Google, but in this video it was especially terrible (it didn't find anything the girl was asking it to).

Siri is a bit snappier in today's beta. She's recently started reading Wolfram Alpha results which are one line, such as an age, or a number, etc.

LSUtigers03
Jul 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

It's so unfortunate that you were forced to open a thread that you don't care about and post in it against your will. Did you file a police report?

batting1000
Jul 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

Google Now didn't find anything either, which is why it showed a web search rather than an answer. But the search is better than nothing.

rotobadger
Jul 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Pretty cool video but you could do the same thing with the Google app for iPhone. I actually use it when I'm on my phone and have a rather lenghty query (that I'd rather dictate than type it).

batting1000
Jul 16, 2012, 05:36 PM
Pretty cool video but you could do the same thing with the Google app for iPhone. I actually use it when I'm on my phone and have a rather lenghty query (that I'd rather dictate than type it).

Yeah. I highlighted this in an earlier thread and even made a video of it yielding the same answers Google Now did, but I don't feel we should turn this thread into another Google Now vs Siri debate.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
"I can't answer that but I can search the world wide", says Siri when there is no real answer. All Google search does is search Google and even when there is no real answer it still just does a google search. Also gives less much less visual info than Siri. Ask Siri a sports question, it pops up enough info to mostly likely answer a second or third question on the same topic. With Google voice you'll have to ask another question, like what was the highest scoring inning.

As I say in all of these Siri vs google voice threads ..... I just don't see any real winner, by a nose or distance.

Android fanboys seem to go to great lengths to justify why they feel everything Android is better. It actually turns me off to giving Android another try

techiegeek1225
Jul 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
Siri amazed me big time when I didnít have the iPhone yet. When I finally had it, the voice commands I gave like opening my email or reading out text messages, opening some apps etc. gave me some form of excitement. But I realized later on that there are some commands that Siri had difficulty in comprehending. Simple commands, yes. I just hopethe iOs 6 will have a better, far better, Siri.

mobiletech
Jul 16, 2012, 06:44 PM
i'd like to point out that Google now only did an internet search, where as siri looked up the answer and then asked if she would like for an internet search of which she never responded. Google seems to primarily work like a voice search system where as siri requires forum communication

labman
Jul 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
Apple's Siri bad Jailbreak Siri decent I have mine translate languages, tell jokes pull up youtube and jpg pics including scallops etc. I gotta say Android is looking really good though these days. I'm hoping Apple brings it or I may switch. :(

cynics
Jul 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
"I can't answer that but I can search the world wide", says Siri when there is no real answer. All Google search does is search Google and even when there is no real answer it still just does a google search. Also gives less much less visual info than Siri. Ask Siri a sports question, it pops up enough info to mostly likely answer a second or third question on the same topic. With Google voice you'll have to ask another question, like what was the highest scoring inning.

As I say in all of these Siri vs google voice threads ..... I just don't see any real winner, by a nose or distance.

Android fanboys seem to go to great lengths to justify why they feel everything Android is better. It actually turns me off to giving Android another try

You really couldn't see a clear winner in that video? I use Siri and don't even have Google Now and the winner in that video is blatantly obvious.

I doubt anyone cares about what phone you try or not. Do you think we do?

physicsguy13
Jul 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
The results for Siri were not good at all. I would guess that they tested questions out before making the video and these questions were used to make Siri look even worse than it normally is. Siri is far from perfect but this would have you believe that it can't do anything. With the two products having different release cycles, I am not sure that this was a fair fight. If the iOS 6 version of Siri were to perform similarly then that would be very disappointing.

mjpearce023
Jul 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
The results for Siri were not good at all. I would guess that they tested questions out before making the video and these questions were used to make Siri look even worse than it normally is. Siri is far from perfect but this would have you believe that it can't do anything. With the two products having different release cycles, I am not sure that this was a fair fight. If the iOS 6 version of Siri were to perform similarly then that would be very disappointing.

They definitely tried to make Siri look bad. I just asked some of the same questions with iOS6 beta 3 and she didn't have any problems. Google is faster and there is no denying that but who knows how the extra house power in the iPhone 5 will help siri's speed. Honesty I never used Siri after the first week I had it but since iOS 6 I have used it quite a bit.

Funkymonk
Jul 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
Google Now is superior to Siri. It's like Siri is a 4/10 and Google Now is a 8/10.

So what? That's just one feature, the iPhone still has the best camera, the best build quality, better app store, better resale value.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:13 AM

Google Voice has nothing to do with searching. Google Voice is for voicemail and a Google Voice phone number. What you mean is Google Now. That said, as someone who has used both Siri and Google Now, I have to say Google Now is better simply because it understands you better. Siri often misinterprets what I say (and I speak clearly and rather well), while Google Now rarely gets it wrong. I think the video in the link is a perfect illustration of that. Siri thought "scallion" was "stallion", while Google Now interpreted it properly. With Siri, I found myself having to repeat things constantly, whereas on Google Now, I was saying things one time and was done. This alone makes Google Now better in my opinion.

----------

They definitely tried to make Siri look bad. I just asked some of the same questions with iOS6 beta 3 and she didn't have any problems. Google is faster and there is no denying that but who knows how the extra house power in the iPhone 5 will help siri's speed. Honesty I never used Siri after the first week I had it but since iOS 6 I have used it quite a bit.

I don't think they went out of their way to make Siri look bad. Heck, it isn't like it benefits them in any way to make Siri look bad. She asked questions and Siri did not find answers for some things, and misinterpreted others. Like it or not, that's how Siri operates. Remember the excuse everyone gave for Siri's shortcomings before? "It's still a beta". Well, those shortcomings are still present and it showed in that video.

----------

Google Now is superior to Siri. It's like Siri is a 4/10 and Google Now is a 8/10.

So what? That's just one feature, the iPhone still has the best camera, the best build quality, better app store, better resale value.

I don't know that I'd for as far as calling Google Now 8/10. You still can't make appointments in it. It is cool that it can automatically update you of traffic and trip times home without you doing anything. But all in all, I'd give it a 7/10. It at least has to be able to make appointments before it can be considered anything 8 or above. Also I don't think you give Siri enough credit. I'd give Siri a 6/10. Where Siri really needs to improve is accuracy of the interpretation of voice. Google's voice system learns your voice over time, Apple needs to incorporate something like that.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 01:40 AM
Google Voice has nothing to do with searching. Google Voice is for voicemail and a Google Voice phone number. What you mean is Google Now.

Almost.

I've pointed this out a few times now, not really important but if you want to get it right here's the difference:

-Voice Search is the Android equivalent to Siri. It's not exclusive to Jellybean but has been improved upon. Expected to be replaced by Google Assistant Q4.
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/31849-image/Watch-Google-Voice-Search-in-Android-Jelly-Bean-chew-through-oddball-questions-with-flying-colors.jpg

-Google Now is the new JB feature with 'cards'. Voice Search can be activated by saying 'Google' or tapping the icon.
http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/google-now-google-search-jelly-bean.jpg

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
Almost.

I've pointed this out a few times now, not really important but if you want to get it right here's the difference:

-Voice Search is the Android equivalent to Siri. It's not exclusive to Jellybean but has been improved upon. Expected to be replaced by Google Assistant Q4.

-Google Now is the new JB feature with 'cards'. Voice Search can be activated by saying 'Google' or tapping the icon.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Now

FYI, wikipedia isn't exactly something I'd be linking to as a source. Not exactly the most reliable thing in the world. Now on to what we were saying...Google's Voice Search is what was in ICS and previous Android versions. Google Now combines "Voice search" into it. Whether you open Google Now manually or tapping the icon, it still take you to Google Now. It's all one thing now. As for Google Voice, that is something TOTALLY different. This is Google Voice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLmdvb2dsZXZvaWNlIl0.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 01:59 AM
Not trying to argue with you but unless you can correct me with a source, I think it's still called Voice Search.

It can be launched from Google Now which is kinda like a universal android search app.

I hate linking to cnet but this is relevant
Android 4.1's voice search not the same as Google Now - cnet article (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57470504-251/android-4.1s-voice-search-not-the-same-as-google-now/)

"Google Now is not Google's Android answer to Siri. In fact, it doesn't control voice at all."

Another Landslide Victory for Google Voice Search Over Siri - Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/16/video-another-landslide-victory-for-google-voice-search-over-siri/)

If you do a search for "google voice search jellybean" you'll see it being refered to as Google Voice Search by most sites.

ChazUK
Jul 17, 2012, 02:05 AM

OMFG. How funny was that? :D

Thanks for the share.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 02:16 AM
Not trying to argue with you but unless you can correct me with a source, I think it's still called Voice Search.

It can be launched from Google Now which is kinda like a universal android search app.

I hate linking to cnet but this is relevant
Android 4.1's voice search not the same as Google Now - cnet article (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57470504-251/android-4.1s-voice-search-not-the-same-as-google-now/)

"Google Now is not Google's Android answer to Siri. In fact, it doesn't control voice at all."

Another Landslide Victory for Google Voice Search Over Siri - Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/16/video-another-landslide-victory-for-google-voice-search-over-siri/)

If you do a search for "google voice search jellybean" you'll see it being refered to as Google Voice Search by most sites.

Not sure if you read the article you linked to or just read the headline. To summarize it, the author has decided on their own that it is a separate thing. However, in the article they say "Google hasn't made the distinction between Google Now and everything else in its redesigned search app...", and "...Google has rolled three related functions into one app, and gave it a totally new appearance.", and most importantly "Google Now and the Voice Actions interface are definitely both parts of the same Google Search app". The author's article is basically saying it's 3 apps in one, and she's differentiating which part of it is doing a certain thing. It's her opinion they are separate, but in actual use, they are all the same. On Google's site http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/, they say "For devices with software navigation keys, you can now swipe up from the system bar to quickly access Google Search with Google Now.", and go on to say you can say "Google" to activate voice search. All in all, voice search has been combined with Google Now. It's all one thing. You can't tap the mic icon in the search bar without going to Google Now.

----------

OMFG. How funny was that? :D

Thanks for the share.

lol. I couldn't help but laugh. A few questions later, Siri says something about scallions again lol. Go figure.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 02:39 AM
I did read the article, no need to summarise for me. This is a stupid thing to argue about, I'm sorry if I offended you by calling you out.

Here's a picture from Androids 'What's New' landing page.
http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

http://i.imgur.com/6bIAk.png

The part where you speak to your phone and ask questions is called Voice Search.

It is launched from Google Now (which contains voice search, web search and the 'cards') or you could go into the app drawer and tap the icon labeled funnily enough, Voice Search.

Grolubao
Jul 17, 2012, 02:49 AM

Ahahahah that was hilarious!!!

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 03:03 AM
I did read the article, no need to summarise for me. This is a stupid thing to argue about, I'm sorry if I offended you by calling you out.

Here's a picture from Androids 'What's New' landing page.
http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

Image (http://i.imgur.com/6bIAk.png)

The part where you speak to your phone and ask questions is called Voice Search.

It is launched from Google Now (which contains voice search, web search and the 'cards') or you could go into the app drawer and tap the icon labeled funnily enough, Voice Search.

First, no I'm not offended. Second, I'm sorry if you feel this is an argument, I certainly am not trying to argue. I am merely making a point. Even in what you pointed out, it is all still in the same app, Google Now. Even Google doesn't differentiate them. Yes it has various features that have names (such as voice search), but it is still all a part of one thing. That's my whole point. Like you said, there's an app in the app drawer called Voice Search, and when you tap it, it takes you to Google Now, because it's all combined.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 03:09 AM
The icon doesn't take you to Google Now, its takes you directly to Voice Search.

Let's agree to disagree.

Wrathwitch
Jul 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
OMFG!!! I just tried Google Search on my SSGS3... I am NEVER typing another search in google again! Wow!!

I ... don't... have ... to type in... a search!!!!!

WEWT!!!!

Seriously though, I am impressed! I never had the Widget on my phone before because I never really had much faith in voice searches!

Wow... just wow...

Ima go find me a Stallion! ;)

kdarling
Jul 17, 2012, 09:47 AM

Clearly, Siri and Rufus are one and the same.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Google Voice has nothing to do with searching. Google Voice is for voicemail and a Google Voice phone number. What you mean is Google Now. That said, as someone who has used both Siri and Google Now, I have to say Google Now is better simply because it understands you better. Siri often misinterprets what I say (and I speak clearly and rather well), while Google Now rarely gets it wrong. I think the video in the link is a perfect illustration of that. Siri thought "scallion" was "stallion", while Google Now interpreted it properly. With Siri, I found myself having to repeat things constantly, whereas on Google Now, I was saying things one time and was done. This alone makes Google Now better in my opinion.

----------

I don't think they went out of their way to make Siri look bad. Heck, it isn't like it benefits them in any way to make Siri look bad. She asked questions and Siri did not find answers for some things, and misinterpreted others. Like it or not, that's how Siri operates. Remember the excuse everyone gave for Siri's shortcomings before? "It's still a beta". Well, those shortcomings are still present and it showed in that video.[COLOR="#808080"]

Excuse me for my one typo, even tho I mentioned Google search numerous times. :cool:

Anyways, this video was obviously manipulated to make Siri look unreliable. Scallions? Really? How long did it take for them to find stuff Siri screwed up on? Give me time with both Siri & Google and I can make either the winner or loser on camera. Unfortunately I don't have nethier, but I have played with Siri and it was pretty accurate for me. And asked Siri damn near everything I could think of.

I will give Google it's credit, it's voice recognition seems very accurate. I'm basing this on the Google app on iOS which I played with on iP4 and iPad. Even when chewing my food, it searched correct 95% of the time. So I have no doubt that it's good on Android. But this video was outright bias.

oBMTo
Jul 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
Siri is horrible, although that is not a new revelation.

beamer8912
Jul 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
I don't get it. So basically all the android does is do a google search for whatever you said. That's kinda worthless, I can type faster than that.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
I don't get it. So basically all the android does is do a google search for whatever you said. That's kinda worthless, I can type faster than that.

If that's all you think it does, then you don't fully understand what it is.

mjpearce023
Jul 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
[/COLOR]

I don't think they went out of their way to make Siri look bad. Heck, it isn't like it benefits them in any way to make Siri look bad. She asked questions and Siri did not find answers for some things, and misinterpreted others. Like it or not, that's how Siri operates. Remember the excuse everyone gave for Siri's shortcomings before? "It's still a beta". Well, those shortcomings are still present and it showed in that video.

I just find it strange that I can sit here with the tv on in the background and ask Siri who the royals play on August 3rd and it comes right up. I'm not defending Siri as some great tool or saying its better than googles version. It just seems very strange that Siri failed on every question and I have no trouble asking the same questions. I admitted that Siri was worthless for me in iOS 5 but in iOS 6 I use it pretty regularly with no problems. I have seen other videos comparing the two and Siri was never that bad. Here is one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Again google is faster but Siri is not retarded like the video in this thread would have you believe.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
I just find it strange that I can sit here with the tv on in the background and ask Siri who the royals play on August 3rd and it comes right up. I'm not defending Siri as some great tool or saying its better than googles version. It just seems very strange that Siri failed on every question and I have no trouble asking the same questions. I admitted that Siri was worthless for me in iOS 5 but in iOS 6 I use it pretty regularly with no problems. I have seen other videos comparing the two and Siri was never that bad. Here is one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Again google is faster but Siri is not retarded like the video in this thread would have you believe.

Yeah, that video is probably the best of them all. They're both pretty much neck and neck with Google Now being like .1 second faster. Siri is pretty talkative.

Glideslope
Jul 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Wait for iOS 6. :)

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
Wait for iOS 6. :)

iOS 6 still will not bring Siri half the functionality of Google Now. Google Now is in a class of its own completely.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
iOS 6 still will not bring Siri half the functionality of Google Now. Google Now is in a class of its own completely.

Google Now performs Google searches. How does that put it into it's own class?

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 09:00 PM

As if you knew in totality the functions of Siri.

I suppose on the Internet EVERYONE is an expert.

;)

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:01 PM

It does a WHOLE LOT more than just Google searches.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 09:02 PM

Remedial class

----------

It does a WHOLE LOT more than just Google searches.

Such as.....

[crickets]

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
Remedial class

----------

Such as.....

[crickets]

In addition to the features that were already there before like sending text messages, setting alarms, calling businesses (by saying their name), and other things...Google Now does other things, like check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive. When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically. If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically. Voice searching is just a piece of the puzzle.

[steps on crickets]

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 09:12 PM
In addition to the features that were already there before like sending text messages, setting alarms, calling businesses (by saying their name), and other things...Google Now does other things, like check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive.

I'll leave when I think I need to, don't need Google telling me. I can always check the internet beforehand for any accidents if I'm that worried.

When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically.

The SportsCenter app does this.

If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically. Voice searching is just a piece of the puzzle.

I know when I have to leave, why do I need Google telling me?

[steps on crickets]

Nothing groundbreaking here.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
In addition to the features that were already there before like sending text messages, setting alarms, calling businesses (by saying their name), and other things...Google Now does other things, like check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive. When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically. If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically. Voice searching is just a piece of the puzzle.

[steps on crickets]

That's ****ING AWESOME!!

but there's one problem...

I didn't ask for it. My "personal" philosophy is that my computer should keep the guessing to a minimum. I know what I want and when I want it and what I need is for the device i'm using to deliver my queries as quickly as possible and not cycles trying to guess what i'm going to need next.

For instance the traffic times sound really sexy...until I realized that every GPS i've owned from Tom Tom to Navigon have done a respectable job of estimating how long my trip is going to take.

Scores for games. ESPN has been chiming the score updates. Not an issue for me.

This does dovetail into my point about Google. They are a web company and thus they don't understand what it's like to support 3rd party developers. Apple's been doing it over 30 years and it shows.

Google presents a feature that's best handled by a sporting app or a GPS app and it's trumped as amazing but what it has really done is simply lessened the focus on the talents of Android developers who would likely deliver a better experience.

Much like Apple's approach to local Transit apps in Maps will likely prove to be a superior solution for all.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'll leave when I think I need to, don't need Google telling me. I can always check the internet beforehand for any accidents if I'm that worried.

Manually having to check traffic and different routes is much more time consuming that having it already waiting for me when I pick up the phone. Besides, what if I have to be at work at 9:00am, my job is 30 minutes away, and there is a 20 minute delay on the highway? With your manual method, you'd have to hope you happened to check the traffic with enough time to spare to account for the delay. On the other hand, with it being done automatically, Google Now will notify of the change in traffic and tell you that you need to leave early. To try to deny the usefulness of this is a bit disingenuous at best.

The SportsCenter app does this.

So we're going to play this game now? There's always an app that you could do something else on. The point is it's all convergent, it's all in one device. It does this and several other things, without the need for ANY configuration. To attempt to devalue that is a bit disingenuous.

I know when I have to leave, why do I need Google telling me?Nothing groundbreaking here.
Perhaps you don't know what groundbreaking means. It hasn't been done before/innovative = groundbreaking. No app currently does the functions of Google Now, so yes by definition it is indeed groundbreaking. Let the agenda go, and give credit where credit is due. Google Now is useful even if you aren't actively using it, that's impressive.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
Manually having to check traffic and different routes is much more time consuming that having it already waiting for me when I pick up the phone. Besides, what if I have to be at work at 9:00am, my job is 30 minutes away, and there is a 20 minute delay on the highway? With your manual method, you'd have to hope you happened to check the traffic with enough time to spare to account for the delay. On the other hand, with it being done automatically, Google Now will notify of the change in traffic and tell you that you need to leave early. To try to deny the usefulness of this is a bit disingenuous at best.

So we're going to play this game now? There's always an app that you could do something else on. The point is it's all convergent, it's all in one device. It does this and several other things, without the need for ANY configuration. To attempt to devalue that is a bit disingenuous.

Perhaps you don't know what groundbreaking means. It hasn't been done before/innovative = groundbreaking. No app currently does the functions of Google Now, so yes by definition it is indeed groundbreaking. Let the agenda go, and give credit where credit is due. Google Now is useful even if you aren't actively using it, that's impressive.

The fact that other apps, such as GPS apps and sporting apps as nuckinfutz said, can do what Google now does, proves it's nothing groundbreaking. Most GPS apps or even standalone GPS devices will tell you about traffic and delays and will offer alternate routes. Sure it's not all in one app but it performs the same functions. Same with the sports; once I add in my favorite teams, it will alert me automatically. I don't need to wait for it to learn my favorite sports or purposely search my teams so that it does learn them.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 09:45 PM

By and large apps from 3rd parties will do a better job and likely be more accurate to boot.

Google Now sounds like Google's way of getting your buy-in to let them data mine you some more.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
That's ****ING AWESOME!!

I didn't ask for it. My "personal" philosophy is that my computer should keep the guessing to a minimum. I know what I want and when I want it and what I need is for the device i'm using to deliver my queries as quickly as possible and not cycles trying to guess what i'm going to need next.

Don't want to use it? Don't use it. Nobody's forcing you to use it. However, that still doesn't change the fact that it is quite useful.

For instance the traffic times sound really sexy...until I realized that every GPS i've owned from Tom Tom to Navigon have done a respectable job of estimating how long my trip is going to take.
Problem is your GPS doesn't warn you ahead of time when you're still in the house that you need to leave early because there is a delay on your route.

So now you're adding in having to use a GPS, and now the ESPN app too. Anything else you want to add in that you'll need to use? The idea is convergence. You're talking about having to have extra devices and run other apps, whereas with Google Now, I don't have to do anything at all. It does it all for me, automatically. BIG difference.

This does dovetail into my point about Google. They are a web company and thus they don't understand what it's like to support 3rd party developers. Apple's been doing it over 30 years and it shows.

Google presents a feature that's best handled by a sporting app or a GPS app and it's trumped as amazing but what it has really done is simply lessened the focus on the talents of Android developers who would likely deliver a better experience.
If a person would rather use an app to get the same information, they can. However, you seem to be contending that Google just shouldn't make this type of software at all because it takes "focus" away from developers. I'm sorry but that whole logic is asinine. It makes no sense to purposely withhold features so someone else can make it.

Much like Apple's approach to local Transit apps in Maps will likely prove to be a superior solution for all.
That's quite an assumption to make there, especially considering that Apples Maps app currently is well behind Google Maps.

----------

By and large apps from 3rd parties will do a better job and likely be more accurate to boot.

Google Now sounds like Google's way of getting your buy-in to let them data mine you some more.

Actually, the information presented in Google Now is a culmination of the information Google already has from you using their services (remember that privacy policy change? ;) ). Google Now just makes that information they have on you useful for you in your everyday life.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
That's quite an assumption to make there, especially considering that Apples Maps app currently is well behind Google Maps.

It's not an assumption. Apple told us they'd be doing this at WWDC.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
It's not an assumption. Apple told us they'd be doing this at WWDC.

No, the assumption was when you said it "will likely prove to be a superior solution", just because it will be done by 3rd parties.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
No, the assumption was when you said it "will likely prove to be a superior solution", just because it will be done by 3rd parties.

The developer community is far superior on iOS which is why Apple would rather highlight great apps than try to do it themselves.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
The developer community is far superior on iOS which is why Apple would rather highlight great apps than try to do it themselves.
As previously stated, that's quite an assumption.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
As previously stated, that's quite an assumption.

You need to explain yourself. It's not an assumption.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
Always a way to spin things in Apples favour on macrumors.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 10:43 PM

"favor"

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
You need to explain yourself. It's not an assumption.

I just did....apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Try re-reading my responses to you and perhaps it will dawn on you. :eek:

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 10:45 PM

"MacRumors"

----------

I just did....apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Try re-reading my responses to you and perhaps it will dawn on you. :eek:

You kind of leave me hanging by saying "That's quite an assumption." and fail to explain your sarcasm.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
"favor"
ACTUALLY, if he's in the UK it would be spelled favour.... :eek:

----------

"MacRumors"

----------

You kind of leave me hanging by saying "That's quite an assumption." and fail to explain your sarcasm.

It wasn't sarcasm.... Furthermore, I've already explained what the assumption was. I suggest you go back and read what was written, as I very clearly quoted what your assumption was. In the meantime, I'm moving on.

depths
Jul 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
"favor"

It's favour outside the US.

AQUADock
Jul 18, 2012, 02:45 AM

[steps on crickets]
So does it tell you out loud at random or does it show you a notification? If its the former thats annoying.

Judas1
Jul 18, 2012, 03:35 AM
So does it tell you out loud at random or does it show you a notification? If its the former thats annoying.
From my understanding, it shows a notification. And if you happen to have a phone with led notification lights, it will light that up. Sounds pretty great.

tekno
Jul 18, 2012, 04:00 AM
I also think Siri is a bit rubbish, but in fairness, the lady in the video ignored the times Google got it wrong.

First time she asked about some sporting event, the Android tablet didn't show anything. At least Siri offered to show a nice picture of a stallion.

When she asked "What's better, iOS6 or Jelly Bean", the Android tablet searched for "Who's better I was 6 jelly bean". Although, Google did offer results that matched the question.

Glideslope
Jul 18, 2012, 03:20 PM

Eric, is that you? ;)

ericrwalker
Jul 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Eric, is that you? ;)

I am pretty sure it's Larry.

Certinfy
Jul 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
Siri was always a useless piece of **** to me. After actually buying into all the hype and buying an iPhone 4S ages ago now I've realised why I made a relatively big mistake and how overrated this phone really is. Siri for me is turned off as it's just annoying and ever since I've got my SGS3 I haven't even touched my 4S much either. What's worse is how **** iOS6 is looking, complete joke of an update I think.

matttye
Jul 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
That's ****ING AWESOME!!

A few things.

1. If you want fast answers to queries, look no further than Google voice search. It's significantly faster than Siri and it performs a normal Web search without asking you if it can't find the answer elsewhere.

2. Features built in by the manufacturer so they can fully integrate with the OS is always better than a third party app. For example; you can use Siri to play your local music tracks by voice, but not your spotify ones.

I'm kinda pissed with Android for a few reasons atm but Google voice search obliterates Siri.

beamer8912
Jul 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
If that's all you think it does, then you don't fully understand what it is.

Just commenting on the results of the video. Everything just came up with a google search result. I assumed she was demonstrating what we should expect when we use the feature. No?

By the looks of the rest of the thread this seems really important to you, considering how defensive you are.

Glideslope
Jul 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
i am pretty sure it's larry.

Nah, it's the Big E.

Tubamajuba
Jul 18, 2012, 08:43 PM
Siri was always a useless piece of **** to me. After actually buying into all the hype and buying an iPhone 4S ages ago now I've realised why I made a relatively big mistake and how overrated this phone really is. Siri for me is turned off as it's just annoying and ever since I've got my SGS3 I haven't even touched my 4S much either. What's worse is how **** iOS6 is looking, complete joke of an update I think.

Excellent! There are plenty of great Android forums for you to bash the iPhone in.

The iGentleman
Jul 18, 2012, 10:49 PM

It provides you with a notification.

Prof.
Jul 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Siri is a piece of ****.

Faux Carnival
Jul 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
Google Now kills Siri. We knew that already.

hot spare
Jul 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
Now someone is going to argue that Apple (via Siri or Wolfram) will somehow do a search result faster or more relevant than Google. Really? Is this news? MS have been pouring endless money on Bing, yet they are unable to match Google. And now suddenly we think Apple will match Google in search! Is that what fanboys expect now? Need some basic level of understanding and practical thinking from everyone.

LostSoul80
Jul 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
How in the world is that video hilarious? What kind of idea of "hilarious" do you have? :confused:

lordofthereef
Jul 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
How in the world is that video hilarious? What kind of idea of "hilarious" do you have? :confused:

Siri kept talking about stallions. Hilarious? Maybe not. I did find it amusing though.

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
One of Apple's strengths is its 'ecosystem'.

It would be cool if siri could pull information from any icloud connected device you own.

majuha
Jul 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
As far as I've understood Google Now is not the VA from Google, but that's what Google Voice Search is supposed to be, right, or am I wrong?

Can you book/remove/move/look up meetings fx? Add reminders or memos? Or update Facebook and Twitter? Open apps?

Isn't it really just an app that suggests you new directions to work, what the weather is like, bars and restaurant nearby you?

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
Played with a friend's GS3 this morning. It also had problems with some random words. Try saying "Pickachu", took Google 7 times to get it right.

Wrathwitch
Jul 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
These posts with people having blinders on reminds me of something I read lately!

Keep living in denial people!! Makes for interesting reading!

Candunc
Jul 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
I wonder what would happen when Siri comes out of beta, or at least in iOS 6? Would android still win?

Eddie Bombay
Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
It's just too bad Google Now is on Jb only.