Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaystewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hey guys, going need some guidance and advice as to what to do concerning with my Macbook (mid 09 model, i think?)

Basicly, I had a harddrive problem about a year ago and I forced to replace it. Since then I haven't really learnt from my mistake and continued to download rubbish and have slowed my macbook down considerably to the point where I cant even play a browser game without having serious lag issues (Not connection related). It's only really become apparent since my imac (g5 possibly) got wiped and got a new harddrive and runs wonderfully but I dont always have access to use it.
So my options are is try and delete as much stuff as I can in hope my laptop speeds up or start a fresh, but I'm not sure how to do either. I obviously know how to send files to the recycle bin and then 'secure empty trash' but I'm not sure whether it has a actual effect on my laptops performance. I've also been using vuze alot, and i've got appzapper installed but again i'm not aware of how foroughly they 'delete' the files. Are there any programs about that could help improve my laptops performance from the side of things or is it either to start from fresh?

And if so, how would I go about this?

Any feedback is appreciated,
Jay

Last edited:

Jaystewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I haven't, at the moment I haven't the slightest clue as to what to do ahaha.

I assume its in the disk utility area, shall I just repair my existing disks?

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Open Disk Utility, find your OSX install partition (usually it's Macintosh HD) and click it.

Then click on the 'Fist Aid' tab and then click the 'Repair disk permissions' button.

If you haven't done it before, it'll take some time.

Reboot after it's done, and you should notice some speed improvements :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.