PDA

View Full Version : European Carriers Stockpiling Nano-SIMs Ahead of Expected Upcoming iPhone Launch

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/european-carriers-stockpiling-nano-sims-ahead-of-expected-upcoming-iphone-launch/)

Following the selection of Apple's proposed design as the new nano-SIM standard (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/01/new-nano-sim-standard-approved-40-smaller-than-micro-sim/) last month, Financial Times reports (http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/40a2937e-cf4e-11e1-bfd9-00144feabdc0.html) that European carriers have begun stockpiling the new nano-SIMs in expectation that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be launching using the new standard in the coming months.Operators expect that the iPhone will feature the nano sim in a slimmed down design, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation, and have begun to store millions of the cards in warehouses in anticipation of high demand for Apple's iPhone. Apple declined to comment.

Operators were caught off guard by the adoption of the micro Sim for the iPhone 4 as well as the original iPad two years ago, with some struggling to meet demand with their own micro-Sims in the first weeks of sale.

One informed person said that the major networks were keen to be ahead of demand this time, however. He added that the iPhone 5 was likely to be similar sized as the iPhone 4 although slimmer and with a fully metal body.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/nanosim-500x375.jpg

Apple's nano-SIM design next to current micro-SIM (Source: The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/3007535/nano-sim-4ff-apple-modified-vote-mid-may))
Back in May, however, one iPhone parts vendor posted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/claimed-iphone-5-sim-card-tray-appears-identical-to-iphone-4s/) what was said to be the SIM tray for the next-generation iPhone, with the part appearing nearly identical to the micro-SIM tray found in the iPhone 4S. If that part is genuine, it would appear that Apple has either chosen to continue using the micro-SIM standard or has quickly changed course with the ratification of the nano-SIM standard to embrace the smaller design.

Article Link: European Carriers Stockpiling Nano-SIMs Ahead of Expected Upcoming iPhone Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/european-carriers-stockpiling-nano-sims-ahead-of-expected-upcoming-iphone-launch/)

SilianRail
Jul 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Looks like the nano SIM basically just eliminated the plastic edges around the metal part, why didn't they do that to begin with?

blacktape242
Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Looks like the nano SIM basically just eliminated the plastic edges around the metal part, why didn't they do that to begin with?

i was thinking the same thing.....

d0mth0ma5
Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Here's hoping that GiffGaff are part of the effort (or do they get their SIMs from o2 as well?).

AustinIllini
Jul 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
News Flash: There are nano-sims. Could be for iPhone, might not be though.

bushido
Jul 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
so my cousin got a new samsung the other day and i got so used to microsim that i broke the sim out of the bigger plastic thingy only to find out that it wouldnt fit anymore ... tried it anyway and then the sim was stuck in her phone. needless to say my cousin was about to kill me :D

MrManwelo
Jul 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
is this just a ploy to stop people cutting down regular sized sims to fit so that they can charge much more for 'iPhone' price plans...?

neiltc13
Jul 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Like mini-DVI, mini-displayport and micro SIM you can always rely on Apple to make stuff redundant after very, very little time.

iMac G5 with iSight Camera? NO here have some Intel iMac a few months later.

And to think there are kids growing up today that will never see a Firewire cable.

samac92
Jul 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
is this just a ploy to stop people cutting down regular sized sims to fit so that they can charge much more for 'iPhone' price plans...?

No. They can still do that with the new nano sim.

macse30
Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
Nano my arse. That's the biggest 1MB memory card in production.

adildacoolset
Jul 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
I hope that people will be able to use normal sims that have been cut in this slot. Because remember, nanosim is also slimmer.

Brdforallseason
Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
He added that the iPhone 5 was likely to be similar sized as the iPhone 4 although slimmer

Oh really. These "sources" are genius :rolleyes:

petrucci666
Jul 16, 2012, 04:33 PM

To some extent maybe, but I believe it's more Apple trying to make more room for other components, like the battery for example. Not too much space, but inside an iPhone, a millimeter is like a mile in the real world.

JayTruth
Jul 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Will my tmobile $30 100 min sim work in here if I cut it?

MrManwelo
Jul 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
No. They can still do that with the new nano sim.

phew!

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nano sim with large reinforced sim tray which combined equal size of normal sim... ;) almost an oxymoron of design :)

pittpanthersfan
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Why is this stockpiling only being reported as a European phenomenon? #justcurious

ixodes
Jul 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Once in awhile I think Apple does things, just to grab more headlines, attention and controversy. It's a brilliant strategy, even if it can be rather trivial and annoying. No one ever said that Apple is boring :)

daneoni
Jul 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
Oh yippe another pain in the ass sim card switch. I can't wait till we get to the point where they annihilate the sim card in its entirety, and any of its conveniences altogether. :rolleyes:

Westyfield2
Jul 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
Can a Nano-SIM be cut out of a Micro SIM? (Like how a Micro SIM can be cut down from a normal SIM)

goobot
Jul 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
Micro-sim hasn't even been fully adopted and we are already going to nano-sim...

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
How about Apple supplies the SIM? Then, you just have to register it with the provider.

clukas
Jul 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
Can anyone explain why we actually have sim cards rather than some kind of internal chip? Would it not be easier to have a built in chip which just gets registered with whatever carrier you go with?

CyBeRino
Jul 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
How about Apple supplies the SIM? Then, you just have to register it with the provider.

Won't have the right codes.

----------

Can anyone explain why we actually have sim cards rather than some kind of internal chip? Would it not be easier to have a built in chip which just gets registered with whatever carrier you go with?

Because Verizon and Sprint do that and they have proven again and again how it is a TERRIBLE idea.

RichTF
Jul 16, 2012, 05:17 PM

In theory, that would be great: if the chip was entirely in your control, then you could just download a new set of carrier codes onto the fixed chip and -- BOOM -- you've switched carriers. Nice. :cool:

Unfortunately, in practise the carriers would only accept such a system if *they* were the one's in charge of the chip, and then you'd end up with a horrible super-locked-down system like with CDMA in the USA (and a couple other countries). It's a pity, but there ya go. :mad:

Anyway, such a chip was proposed (by Apple, I think), and sure enough the carriers refused to cooperate. So it's a no go. :(

koruki
Jul 16, 2012, 05:18 PM

The next thing down from Micro is Nano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

What did you want to call it, mini-micro? micro-er? :rolleyes:

ufwa
Jul 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
I highly doubt official carriers for the iphone would "stockpile" new sim card designs without word from Apple.

Apple retail stores at least would need the correct size sim cards in order to activate the phones. If not you'd have quite a few pissed off people who are signing up for a 2 year contract and have no way of using the phone.

captmatt
Jul 16, 2012, 05:28 PM

It's only obvious now that Apple did it. No way in a million years would anyone else have come up with a similar design on their own. Good thing it's an open standard!:D

Indy21
Jul 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, but what's the name of the new iPhone gonna be is all that matters...

*flinching*

:)

mex4eric
Jul 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hope it fits the new iPhone 5. Any other mfgs using it?

cvaldes
Jul 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
I highly doubt official carriers for the iphone would "stockpile" new sim card designs without word from Apple.
Well, that's apparently what they're doing.

The carriers got caught flat-footed by not having any micro-SIMs in stock when the iPhone 4 came out with the new card form factor.

In any case, it's not like the cards spoil or ferment. There will be more and more smartphones that use the new card size, even if there are no nano SIM handsets on the market today. The nano SIM won't be an iPhone exclusive. It's an industry standard, not a proprietary format.

striker33
Jul 16, 2012, 06:10 PM

Because most countries outside the US arent dependant on ridiculously priced subsidised plans.

It also begs the question, why on earth would anyone want it embedded into the phone? It just makes it far more annoying when it comes to selling the phone, as many people do, when the newer version comes out a year later.

Crzyrio
Jul 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
Because most countries outside the US arent dependant on ridiculously priced subsidised plans.

It also begs the question, why on earth would anyone want it embedded into the phone? It just makes it far more annoying when it comes to selling the phone, as many people do, when the newer version comes out a year later.

You misunderstood his post.

When people refer to a inbuilt chip, they aren't referring to the way CDMA phones work.

Instead the internal sim card will work similar to that of Wifi. Your phone will display the available signals in your area and you pick the one you have an account with. Up on selecting it you enter your details and volia your phone is now activated.

On Topic: Its smart on their part, they are going to need these sims eventually. Better to be safe than sorry.

clukas
Jul 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies to my question above. I didn't quote them to avoid creating a very long comment.

lilo777
Jul 16, 2012, 06:53 PM

Because before phones were not as short on free space and for the phone owner larger SIM card is much more convenient than the new variety. It simply made no sense to have them that small before. It's still questionable whether the latest shrink was justifiable. It's probably OK for iPhone in USA. But I am sure that people in other countries who change their SIM cards frequently as well as the owners of the phones that have replaceable batteries and memory cards are less happy for now they have to deal with SIM cards that are uncomfortable to hold and handle.

Carlanga
Jul 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
The next thing down from Micro is Nano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

What did you want to call it, mini-micro? micro-er? :rolleyes:
no, he is speaking capacity size for its actual size.

BiggAW
Jul 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
More proprietary stuff? This is Apple after all, so we shouldn't be surprised, but this is just getting too much to take.

CyBeRino
Jul 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
More proprietary stuff? This is Apple after all, so we shouldn't be surprised, but this is just getting too much to take.

What are you talking about? There's nothing proprietary mentioned anywhere.

Macman45
Jul 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
Here's hoping that GiffGaff are part of the effort (or do they get their SIMs from o2 as well?).

Yep, they are the same outfit...I'm with O2, going to see if they know anything about this...If they do, the story is true!

b166er
Jul 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
well I hope this is going to fit the new iPhone. I'd hate to see another blunder like that of the case manufacturers last year.

Wait, yes I would.

kiljoy616
Jul 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Imagine if its all wrong, ROFL, what a fun time that will be. :rolleyes:

Mad-B-One
Jul 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Won't have the right codes.

What do you mean? iPad came with it, no problem. If you have a SIM, you can activate it with a carrier...

Pukey
Jul 17, 2012, 03:18 AM
Will my tmobile $30 100 min sim work in here if I cut it?
I'm wondering the same thing. This is the phone plan I'm thinking about. Also, JayTruth, how do you like this plan? How does it work out with only 100 min? I was hoping to do most of my calls on Skype, but I hear it's not allowed in the US. Any thoughts?

Why is this stockpiling only being reported as a European phenomenon? #justcurious
I was wondering about this too. Are we just supposed to assume the same goes for the US or is this only affecting Europe?

sinfonye
Jul 17, 2012, 03:22 AM
You misunderstood his post.

When people refer to a inbuilt chip, they aren't referring to the way CDMA phones work.

Instead the internal sim card will work similar to that of Wifi. Your phone will display the available signals in your area and you pick the one you have an account with. Up on selecting it you enter your details and volia your phone is now activated.

On Topic: Its smart on their part, they are going to need these sims eventually. Better to be safe than sorry.

I assume you're in the US? In Europe, you can pick up SIMs very cheaply and easily for many different carriers. I probably have about 20-30 different ones. I can change from a contract to a pre-pay account, from voice-only to data-only, from a UK account to a Dutch one, from a work account to a private one, or use my wife's account on my phone or vice-versa within a few seconds (handy when one of us runs out of battery, for example). It's hard to see how you could get that flexibility with a built-in chip.

There's also now the legacy issue. If I want to use all my existing accounts, I need SIM support. If a nano-SIM isn't compatible with a micro-SIM or standard SIM, then it's MUCH less useful to the average user. I'd happily pay some reduced battery life for backwards compatibility. This is one of the things (along with the rumours of a changed dock connector) that is making me wary of upgrading to an iPhone 5. I hope they keep both SIM and dock backwards compatible...

jmmo20
Jul 17, 2012, 05:11 AM

1mb? I think sim cards are 256kb nowadays.. I remember back in the 90s when 32kb sim cards were wow..

----------

the problem with that is that providers want to keep strict control over the encryption keys used. If apple made the sims, they would add another layer where the encryption keys could be leaked. It's not gonna happen. Most of the systems inside the sim card are in place to keep the encryption keys secret and un-readable. Basically the sim is a mini computer that calculates a mathematic algorithm using the encryption keys. Knowing the variable, and since only the sim and the operator (on their end) know the real encryption key, the result of the algorithm is what is transmitted over the wireless signal.

That rules out software or emulated sim solutions.

CyBeRino
Jul 17, 2012, 06:46 AM
What do you mean? iPad came with it, no problem. If you have a SIM, you can activate it with a carrier...

iPad comes with a SIM for the carrier you pick.

There's no such thing as a generic SIM card that can be registered to any random carrier. The SIM contains various codes that are needed to get the device on the network. It isn't just a computer-readable number to identify the subscriber.

Mad-B-One
Jul 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
iPad comes with a SIM for the carrier you pick.

There's no such thing as a generic SIM card that can be registered to any random carrier. The SIM contains various codes that are needed to get the device on the network. It isn't just a computer-readable number to identify the subscriber.

I see. Yea, should have read up on it. Nevertheless, the distribution still could go this way. It's mostly made in China anyways. This way, you also save costs because there are not 2 supply chains going to the customer but just one. For the ones who buy it at the Apple store, yes, I guess you would need them in the countires.

Nahaz
Jul 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
I remember some people complaining of the micro SIM shorting out on the metal carrier that the iPhone used to hold the SIM. It would stop their iPhone from working.

Wouldn't this become more of an issue now with the nano SIM coming out?