Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
One of my biggest pet peeves about the iPad music app is the "artist" view. The app shows one random album cover that serves as the image for that artist. In some cases this is ok, because I either have only one album for the artist, or it chooses an album that I'm okay with.

But other times, it's a real annoyance. When I'm scanning through that artist view, and I'm looking for an artist, I look for an album cover that I can quickly recognize. This is difficult to do though when the album the app has chosen to use as the picture is something weird like a compilation album, or artwork for a single.

So does anyone know what criteria the app uses to choose which album cover to use? Is it something I can tinker with or is it completely random? Thanks!

(And by the way, it's not done alphabetically by album name, alphabetically by album sort name, or by year.....I tried all those with no luck)

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
One of my biggest pet peeves about the iPad music app is the "artist" view. The app shows one random album cover that serves as the image for that artist. In some cases this is ok, because I either have only one album for the artist, or it chooses an album that I'm okay with.

But other times, it's a real annoyance. When I'm scanning through that artist view, and I'm looking for an artist, I look for an album cover that I can quickly recognize. This is difficult to do though when the album the app has chosen to use as the picture is something weird like a compilation album, or artwork for a single.

So does anyone know what criteria the app uses to choose which album cover to use? Is it something I can tinker with or is it completely random? Thanks!

(And by the way, it's not done alphabetically by album name, alphabetically by album sort name, or by year.....I tried all those with no luck)

It uses the album chosen in iTunes on your computer. (if you're computer less, I'm not sure) But in iTunes, when moving your mouse over the changing covers stop on one you like, right click, and select "set as default grid artwork"

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The database that iTunes uses to recover album artwork is Gracenote, and it's not always right...Sometimes you get the right artist but the wrong cover...It's rare though, most mainstream stuff is pretty well covered I find.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Was wondering if anyone had a new answer to this, considering there are now newer versions of iOS and iTunes. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.