Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I have a question...

This thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404795/

has nothing to do with the iPhone but is in the iPhone forums instead of the Industry forum where something like this belongs.

When reported to the mods for movement, the request was ignored yet the entire thread was "cleansed" of the people suggesting this thread be moved to the proper place. Whats even more strange is there are many arguments in the thread that are still there. I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

No one can honestly look at this thread and not realize its a bait thread. It has nothing to do with the iPhone yet its in the iPhone forums.

I don't understand Macrumors position on threads like this. I thought if it was off topic it should be moved to the appropriate forum. By leaving it in the iPhone forum and deleting the suggestions from users to move it it simply lets the thread itself keep on baiting.

So the question is, should we even bother reporting off topic threads? What rule is this thread following that allows it to be there?

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What rule is this thread following that allows it to be there?

Lets put it the other way; what rule is it breaking if it's in the iPhone forum? None, because we don't have a rule that states all not-strictly-related-to-iPhone threads should be posted in the Industry forum.

We haven't had a strict policy about threads/posts about other smartphone platforms. iPhone is a smartphone, hence it has made sense to keep other smartphone related threads in the iPhone forum as well.

We are well aware of this "issue" and improvements are on the way.

If you reply to a thread that it's in a wrong place, you become part of the problem. We don't need backseat moderation. The OP can't move the thread even if he wanted to, so there is absolutely no point in replying that it's in a wrong forum. The only thing you will be doing is creating us more work. And yes, all those posts are off-topic and will be deleted.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Lets put it the other way; what rule is it breaking if it's in the iPhone forum? None, because we don't have a rule that states all not-strictly-related-to-iPhone threads should be posted in the Industry forum.

From the Rules page:
Goals of the Forums

The #1 goal is to discuss Apple news and rumors.

The rules and decisions are made to protect this goal over all else, first and foremost in the News and Article Discussion forums. Following closely are forum discussions about other aspects of Macs and for giving help to fellow users. Further down the list is the Community Discussion forum, and far at the bottom of the list is the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum.

That thread (and numerous other Android and 'vs' threads) aren't created to discuss Apple news and rumors, any other aspect of Apple products or to give help to fellow users.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
From the Rules page:

That thread (and numerous other Android and 'vs' threads) aren't created to discuss Apple news and rumors, any other aspect of Apple products or to give help to fellow users.

Everything Hellhammer said is spot-on, but I'd like to emphasise one thing in particular. If you reply in a thread only to question it's existence or location, your posts are off-topic and create more work for the moderators.

If you feel there's a problem with a post or thread, there's one correct way to deal with it - via a post report. All reports are read and many are discussed, so if a report isn't acted on in the way you expect, it's because it was determined that there was no problem (or - as in the case you mention - that the problem was something else).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What is wrong with you people? If you don't want to read about Android, don't click the damn thread. Quite frankly,the complaining about this is more annoying than the Android threads. [/IMO]

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I vote for a thread for mobile news, giving all these Android posts a better home.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Being the looky loo check out the wreck kinda guy I am I had to read this thread..

Telling people to just not go into a thread doesn't make it miraculously go away.

The person still knows its there. And for some thats enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.