Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Hi. Thanks for your comments/help in advance. Ever since I got a mac in january, every ftp program ive used/downloaded has had some sort of uploading problem. Ive used Transit, CuteFTP, and Cyberduck. When I try to upload a file (usually very tiny, say 50k), it usually times out, or just takes a really long time.

PS. My internet connection is broadband.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
How many different sites are you trying to upload to, or is this one particular site that you're having troubles with? Are you using passive FTP? Active FTP? Is there a firewall where you're uploading to? Is the firewall running on your Mac? Do you have a router with a firewall?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
yellow said:
How many different sites are you trying to upload to, or is this one particular site that you're having troubles with? Are you using passive FTP? Active FTP? Is there a firewall where you're uploading to? Is the firewall running on your Mac? Do you have a router with a firewall?
Right now im trying to upload to 1. During the dialogue it says "Entering Passive Mode". But I dont know what that means. My firewall is off.

Whats happening so far is this:
1. I connect to the site.
2. I drag a file to the site.
3. It begins to upload but freezes just a few bytes into it.
4. Connection Timesout
5. I reconnect.
6. I drag that file to site again.
7. It asks if I want to replace that file.
8. I say YES and it works.

but only after Reconnecting...everytime.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
And since it's the same site you're having problems with, have you confirmed that you don't have the same problems by FTPing to another (different) site and trying to FTP to the same site from a different computer?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
yellow said:
And since it's the same site you're having problems with, have you confirmed that you don't have the same problems by FTPing to another (different) site and trying to FTP to the same site from a different computer?

I only own 1 site. But ive had it for a few years now, and ive used 2 or 3 different ftp programs when i had a PC (such as WFTP Lite) and i never had a problem. But ever since i got a mac, every program i use just doesnt cut it. Cyberduck freezes right away. CuteFTP works but i have to reconnect.

Id doesnt make sense that me having a MAC is the problem. but i dont know what it is. I have uploaded things to my server using my girlfriends PC and CuteFTP and i never had a problem.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You have to remember, we have no idea what your skill level is, and how much trouble shooting you've done to isolate the problem, so don't get upset that we have to ask you questions like these. This is what you get for free support via a forum! ;)

IMO, Transmit is an excellent FTP app. It's worked very, very well for me for years, so the problem isn't FTP on the Mac, nor is it FTP clients on the Mac. it's something about your set up that will take some time to work out the problem and solution.

Does your site expect to use passive or active FTP? What was the setting on the PC? Have you tried to switch to active since you seem to be using passive?

Also, consider asking for an ssh connection instead. I don't know how much you know about FTP, but it sends your username and password in cleartext and it's pretty easy to sniff that out. FTP has been very much deprecated over the years..

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
yellow said:
You have to remember, we have no idea what your skill level is, and how much trouble shooting you've done to isolate the problem, so don't get upset that we have to ask you questions like these. This is what you get for free support via a forum! ;)

Im not upset that your asking questions. Im appreciative infact.

yellow said:
IMO, Transmit is an excellent FTP app. It's worked very, very well for me for years, so the problem isn't FTP on the Mac, nor is it FTP clients on the Mac. it's something about your set up that will take some time to work out the problem and solution.

yeah i heard it was too. i used it but i had the same problem. im not messing with default settings. I install the software, i hit connect, and its connected. But when i upload stuff it freezes, and it seems to happen with any mac software i use. Im just wondering if there is any obvious solutions.

yellow said:
Does your site expect to use passive or active FTP? What was the setting on the PC? Have you tried to switch to active since you seem to be using passive?

Also, consider asking for an ssh connection instead. I don't know how much you know about FTP, but it sends your username and password in cleartext and it's pretty easy to sniff that out. FTP has been very much deprecated over the years..
Ima write to costumer service and consult the help pages to figure that out.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Tech Support

I accessed Terminal and provided some information to Tech Support and they replied with this message:

"Hello,

It seems that there might be some packet loss starting within your local network. This is one of the possible causes for the issue. Another possible cause is the great distance between you and the server (you are in USA and the server is in Hong Kong).

Please be advised that we have servers in the USA as well, and we could migrate your account upon your request. It would be at least much faster for you to be hosted on a server that is much closer to you.

Best Regards,
Support"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.