Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's a no brainer really...Carriers were always going to charge...Personally I wouldn't use FT over 3G anyway unless it was a case of dire emergency...I've no doubt that O2 here in the UK will be announcing one of their bolt-ons as soon as IOS6 hits iTunes.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Working perfectly fine for me in the UK over 3G.
No messages like that at all. I'm running the latest version of iOS 6, beta 3 and I have an unlimited plan which is good for this kind of thing =P

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
It's a no brainer really...Carriers were always going to charge...Personally I wouldn't use FT over 3G anyway unless it was a case of dire emergency...I've no doubt that O2 here in the UK will be announcing one of their bolt-ons as soon as IOS6 hits iTunes.

I my only wish is that O2 uk will increase thier data plans.

MrBudgie

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
I my only wish is that O2 uk will increase thier data plans.

I wouldn't hold your breath for that one...I was with them for the last 4/5 years, had an unlimited data thing then they scrapped it about 2 years ago (just after a new 24 month contract started - bloody typical!) and set the 500mb limit. Needless to say I jumped ship at the earliest chance - signed up with Three a few weeks ago and got the 4s, unlimited data (really unlimited: no fair usage policy, no throttling, tethering included). Haven't had a single problem so far and the coverage is top rate. Also seem to average about 7mb/s over 3G most of the time, so it's fast as well as unlimited.

I really hope they don't start charging for FaceTime. I can't see me using it loads over 3G, but it would be nice to have the option and not have to worry about being charged for it seeing as its essentially data anyways.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
My guess is it will be included with the current 5GB plan that allows tethering or the new shared data plans (that also include tethering), but will be blocked on everything else (Unlimited data, 2GB, 3GB plans etc).

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
My guess is it will be included with the current 5GB plan that allows tethering or the new shared data plans (that also include tethering), but will be blocked on everything else (Unlimited data, 2GB, 3GB plans etc).

This is right on the mark. I worked for the Deathstar for 7 years and I do not see them "charging" for it. It will just be part of the "tethering" plan and that plan will be required to use it.

Dviper27

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Doesn't surprise me

Doesn't surprise me... You would end up running up your data plan anyways and pay for it that way.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Doesn't surprise me... You would end up running up your data plan anyways and pay for it that way.

That's why it makes absolutely no sense.

If you have 2GB or 4GB or whatever limited amount of data, what does it matter how you use that data? You're getting charged twice for the same data. Three times if you have the tethering plan.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The reason they care about how you use your data plan has to do with load management.

Your 5G data plan is expected to be used at predictable intervals over the course of the month, not in one or two mass data transactions.

Though you might not like it, that's the justification for restricting tethering and face time.

Yes it's your data, however they need to figure out how to make everyone's performance acceptable while maintaining a cost effective network.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Don't see it myself. O2 have no extra data bolt on's for specific iPhone/iPad features in the UK. I made FaceTime calls over 3G on beta 3 without any problem on O2 as well.

Americans really do get ripped off by their carriers.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
I wouldn't hold your breath for that one...I was with them for the last 4/5 years, had an unlimited data thing then they scrapped it about 2 years ago (just after a new 24 month contract started - bloody typical!) and set the 500mb limit. Needless to say I jumped ship at the earliest chance - signed up with Three a few weeks ago and got the 4s, unlimited data (really unlimited: no fair usage policy, no throttling, tethering included). Haven't had a single problem so far and the coverage is top rate. Also seem to average about 7mb/s over 3G most of the time, so it's fast as well as unlimited.

I really hope they don't start charging for FaceTime. I can't see me using it loads over 3G, but it would be nice to have the option and not have to worry about being charged for it seeing as its essentially data anyways.

I can't see why they would charge for it x fingers. Not much people do really use FaceTime in the UK and iny use it at home when I have wifi as it gives better quality.
Regarding data unlimited minutes and text ad 1gb data from O2 for £26 a month is not shabby but I'm willing to pay another £5 for more data not just 2gb which they offer me but at least 3gb - unlimited.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I can't see why they would charge for it x fingers. Not much people do really use FaceTime in the UK and iny use it at home when I have wifi as it gives better quality.
Regarding data unlimited minutes and text ad 1gb data from O2 for £26 a month is not shabby but I'm willing to pay another £5 for more data not just 2gb which they offer me but at least 3gb - unlimited.

Pretty much the same as myself. I use FaceTime maybe once or twice every fortnight to speak to family members. When I do however, I'm at home and on WiFi. I've never found myself in a situation where I found myself wishing I could FaceTime while out and about.

I pay O2 £36pm on their new On & On tariff, which gives me Unlimited UK minutes (all networks and landlines excluding 0870 and 0845), Unlimited UK texts (all networks), and 1GB of 3G use.

Can't complain.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't understand how they can charge for tethering or facetime when all the carriers went to great lengths to switch from an unlimited data model to a tiered model. especially now when they are all announcing "shared" plans. now more then ever they are pushing its your data use it how you use it but if you go over we will charge you. they are even including tethering in the new shared plans.....I can see them charging or not offering it to unlimited users (which they throttle anyway so who cares) but i cant see someone on a tiered or shared plan getting an extra charge for this.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
The reason they care about how you use your data plan has to do with load management.

Your 5G data plan is expected to be used at predictable intervals over the course of the month, not in one or two mass data transactions.

Though you might not like it, that's the justification for restricting tethering and face time.

Yes it's your data, however they need to figure out how to make everyone's performance acceptable while maintaining a cost effective network.

That is a good reason to sell customers but that isn't exactly what's happening. If I were to activate tethering and facetime on my account they wouldn't be beefing up my local tower, or assigning any extra resources to me at all, just more money in the pool. All the while I could very easily rack up similar data usage on at least half of my other apps which have no charge.

If they wanted to charge for specific services like this they should have kept unlimited data available, but they went with a teared approach. Time to live up to the agreement.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Because...the iPhone on Sprint is so slow you don't have to worry about using FaceTime on their network?

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Because...the iPhone on Sprint is so slow you don't have to worry about using FaceTime on their network?

I live in FL and I have had Sprint for almost 12 years service and 3g speeds are great where I live and in most places I have better service then my friends with iPhones on At&t and Verizon. Now I understand Sprint isn't great every where, I went to PA to visit family and I had crap service there. But for the most part I enjoy Sprint, They have cheaper better plans the the other two, also unlimited data.

Also FaceTime on 3G works very well on Sprint, I have used it quite a bit since the beta came out.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

yup, if you give them the ability then they definitely will.

I really don't understand why apple is going this route. Going to hurt the adoption of it if it becomes a pay service. Imagine if apple allowed the carriers to charge/control iMessage at last years ios5 launch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.