PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] Nexus 7 tablet received. Awaiting for similar sized iPad

Lindenhurst
Jul 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just received my Nexus & tablet and it is awesome. The purpose of my thread is not to talk about Android vs IOS, but to talk about the form factor of a 7" to 8" tablet. After using it for awhile I can definitely see the usefulness of such a device. It is easily put into a woman's purse and easily transported outside the home. Using it while laying on the couch is very nice. Easily held comfortably for an extended period of time in 1 hand. Yes I can hold my Ipad2 in 1 hand, but it is not as comfortable to use that way for an extended period of time.
We have a house full of Apple devices, and even though I no longer use an iPhone, I will be anxiously awaiting for Apple to come out with a smaller version of the iPad.
Anyone else have a Nexus 7 tablet, or any other smaller tablet, and who is awaiting for a smaller iPad product?

Again....no comments about IOS VS Android please.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'm totally jazzed about smaller tablets.

I do not think one size fits all. I'm looking forward to augmenting my iPad 2 with a smaller tablet this fall.

It'll be that ideal device that disappears more in the living room and is extremely portable for a tablet.

aziatiklover
Jul 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

rmhop81
Jul 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
Just received my Nexus & tablet and it is awesome. The purpose of my thread is not to talk about Android vs IOS, but to talk about the form factor of a 7" to 8" tablet. After using it for awhile I can definitely see the usefulness of such a device. It is easily put into a woman's purse and easily transported outside the home. Using it while laying on the couch is very nice. Easily held comfortably for an extended period of time in 1 hand. Yes I can hold my Ipad2 in 1 hand, but it is not as comfortable to use that way for an extended period of time.
We have a house full of Apple devices, and even though I no longer use an iPhone, I will be anxiously awaiting for Apple to come out with a smaller version of the iPad.
Anyone else have a Nexus 7 tablet, or any other smaller tablet, and who is awaiting for a smaller iPad product?

I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also. Our family is primarily Apple only (1 Airport Extreme, 2 airport Express, 2 Apple TV, MacBook Air, and 2 iPhones), but I've been tired of waiting around to see if they were going to do anything smaller than the current iPad.

Apple is very picky with what they want their products to be. But a lot of time there are compromises for the consumer. AppleTV is a good example....we cut cable and use an antenna. AppleTV doesn't have a Hulu Plus app so had to buy a separate Roku box just for that and Amazon Prime.

Don't like the iPhone screen? too bad only 1 model size made. Suck it up and like it. Same goes with the iPad. I simply have gotten tired of waiting around to see what they are going to do. I'll enjoy the Nexus 7 and hopefully it will get apple moving to create an iPad 7.

They need to start making multiple sizes instead of 1 size phone and 1 size tablet. That's like them only having 1 size laptop...just crazy.

Anyways, the Nexus 7 quality is on par with Apple products IMO. I would buy 2 iPad 7's if they were out, but they aren't so i have to resort to another company for the time being.

Lindenhurst
Jul 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

I wondered about the tax issue when I ordered it, because i don.t believe I pay tax when I buy an app from the Google play store, btu I may be wrong.

The size of the 7 inch device is totally awesome. I love my iPad 2, but I see a definite market for the 7-8 inch tablets.

----------

I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also. Our family is primarily Apple only (1 Airport Extreme, 2 airport Express, 2 Apple TV, MacBook Air, and 2 iPhones), but I've been tired of waiting around to see if they were going to do anything smaller than the current iPad.

Apple is very picky with what they want their products to be. But a lot of time there are compromises for the consumer. AppleTV is a good example....we cut cable and use an antenna. AppleTV doesn't have a Hulu Plus app so had to buy a separate Roku box just for that and Amazon Prime.

Don't like the iPhone screen? too bad only 1 model size made. Suck it up and like it. Same goes with the iPad. I simply have gotten tired of waiting around to see what they are going to do. I'll enjoy the Nexus 7 and hopefully it will get apple moving to create an iPad 7.

They need to start making multiple sizes instead of 1 size phone and 1 size tablet. That's like them only having 1 size laptop...just crazy.

Anyways, the Nexus 7 quality is on par with Apple products IMO.

My thoughts at this point. I just got the device, so I can't attest to how it holds up over time, but for now it seems very sweet.

If iPad is available in a smaller size, I wonder if they will go 7", or whether they will have their own size just to be different. My tablet held sideways is definitely widescreen when watching videos and I believe Apple doesn't prefer that format.
Time will tell.

The one thing I like about the Nexus is the back, which I assume is plastic but has a rubbery feel. It will not slip out of your hands like my iPad would if I used it without a case. Not the biggest fan of plastic but this actually feels like rubber and has a premium feel to it.
I know Apple prefers aluminum, and it certainly does link nice, but I hope they eventually make the iPad rear covers out of something more grip-able.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
If iPad is available in a smaller size, I wonder if they will go 7", or whether they will have their own size just to be different. My tablet held sideways is definitely widescreen when watching videos and I believe Apple doesn't prefer that format.
Time will tell.

The one thing I like about the Nexus is the back, which I assume is plastic but has a rubbery feel. It will not slip out of your hands like my iPad would if I used it without a case. Not the biggest fan of plastic but this actually feels like rubber and has a premium feel to it.
I know Apple prefers aluminum, and it certainly does link nice, but I hope they eventually make the iPad rear covers out of something more grip-able.

7.85 with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Not to be different the resolution of the OS demands it.

Carouser
Jul 17, 2012, 01:17 PM

Maybe they'll make a 7" device and call it the Apple eReader. Then you can complain that they only make one size phone, one size tablet, and one size eReader. Then when they release the Apple Slab at 15" you can complain that they only have one size eSlab.

Or you can just recognize that Apple already makes multiple iOS touchscreen devices and then say "gee I wish they made yet another".

rmhop81
Jul 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
Maybe they'll make a 7" device and call it the Apple eReader. Then you can complain that they only make one size phone, one size tablet, and one size eReader. Then when they release the Apple Slab at 15" you can complain that they only have one size eSlab.

Or you can just recognize that Apple already makes multiple iOS touchscreen devices and then say "gee I wish they made yet another".
Based on your theory there should only be 1 model laptop, only comes with a 15inch screen because that is the best size for everyone!

Dustman
Jul 17, 2012, 04:01 PM

Or iReader perhaps? Actually, I think the time would be alright for them to reuse the iBook brand. Enough time's passed I think. They did it with the iSight, why not?

Carouser
Jul 17, 2012, 04:39 PM
Based on your theory there should only be 1 model laptop, only comes with a 15inch screen because that is the best size for everyone!

Did you actually get that from what I wrote? holy loly it's the exact opposite of what I typed, you are unbelievable.

rmhop81
Jul 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
Did you actually get that from what I wrote? holy loly it's the exact opposite of what I typed, you are unbelievable.
why do you need to tell me and everyone else about the 7inch ipad what their opinions should be?

Looking at your history it looks like you are pretty angry that peeps are even discussing the possibility of a 7inch tablet.

why is that?

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
I don't like the 7" form factor. It's the oddball. Sure it's cheap which is one of the biggest factors. The lure of the Nexus 7 is not the 7" display. It's the price. If the iPad costs $200, no one would even think about a 7".

Carouser
Jul 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
why do you need to tell me and everyone else about the 7inch ipad what their opinions should be?

Want to quote where I did this?

Looking at your history it looks like you are pretty angry that peeps are even discussing the possibility of a 7inch tablet.

why is that?

Angry?

The last I remember posting on this is that people should present their opinions as such, instead of as facts - like "I would like a 7" iPad" not "Apple has an obligation to make the things I want, this is a fact, by the way my evidence is terrible".

I know people would like a 7" iPad, that's their right, and I've never posted that they should not have that wish, IIRC. Show me where I did something else, considering you're so upset you already went through my post history (lol).

Carlanga
Jul 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
Does having a smaller screen make reading PDF or big books a hassle? Do you have to constantly scroll left to right? How would you compare the comfort level for reading between a 10" and a 7"?
Also, is there a hack to run flash on it yet?

rmhop81
Jul 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
Want to quote where I did this?

Angry?

The last I remember posting on this is that people should present their opinions as such, instead of as facts - like "I would like a 7" iPad" not "Apple has an obligation to make the things I want, this is a fact, by the way my evidence is terrible".

I know people would like a 7" iPad, that's their right, and I've never posted that they should not have that wish, IIRC. Show me where I did something else, considering you're so upset you already went through my post history (lol).
why does something need to be presented to you in a certain way? It took all of 2 clicks to see that majority of your recent posts are about the 7inch tablet.

We get it, you hate the idea of a 7inch tablet. You also hate that people say they want a 7inch tablet.

Spectrum Abuser
Jul 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
Does having a smaller screen make reading PDF or big books a hassle? Do you have to constantly scroll left to right? How would you compare the comfort level for reading between a 10" and a 7"?

Reading books on a seven inch screen is very nice considering it's still bigger then average book pages.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 05:01 PM

Does the .apk not run? I haven't read up on this subject. Is the Adobe Flash .apk file hardcoded to NOT run on anything above 4.0.x?

On a side note, Google's focus with the Nexus 7 is to steal some of the limelight from the iPad with its cheaper price while simultaneously trying to put out the Kindle Fire (pun intended). Before the Nexus 7, there were more or less two successful tablet stories; namely the iPad and the Kindle Fire. Neither was running "Android" (Kindle Fire is technically Android but it's a very deep gutting of it) and Google needed a product to hold off the two. The pressure and stakes become increasingly higher and Microsoft's Surface only made things more intense. I bet Google will come out with a better product than the Nexus 7 next year. In my eyes, it's an intermediary product, something to make sure they are completely left butt naked.

briceman
Jul 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
I don't like the 7" form factor. It's the oddball. Sure it's cheap which is one of the biggest factors. The lure of the Nexus 7 is not the 7" display. It's the price. If the iPad costs $200, no one would even think about a 7".

Not true. My wife does not like the size of the iPad and prefers a smaller screen.

Carouser
Jul 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
why does something need to be presented to you in a certain way? It took all of 2 clicks to see that majority of your recent posts are about the 7inch tablet.

Oh, I thought we would read people's posts and arguments and discuss them based on what they actually type, but now I can just ignore how people say things and infer whatever I want. This explains your approach. For example:

We get it, you hate the idea of a 7inch tablet. You also hate that people say they want a 7inch tablet.

This, of course, is not shown in anything I've posted. It must be 'make everything up day' on Mac Rumors (who am I kidding, that's every day here).

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Not true. My wife does not like the size of the iPad and prefers a smaller screen.

You missed my point. If the iPad were $200, would anyone including your wife think about a smaller screen? Ask her, I'm not hating on Android. I'm a developer and I write code for both platforms. The real issue is the iPad's $500 price tag versus something that is less than half the cost that can do similar things and do them just as well for the most part.

Btw, Carouser and rmhop81, please quit your bickering. Agree to disagree?

rmhop81
Jul 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Oh, I thought we would read people's posts and arguments and discuss them based on what they actually type, but now I can just ignore how people say things and infer whatever I want. This explains your approach. For example:

This, of course, is not shown in anything I've posted. It must be 'make everything up day' on Mac Rumors (who am I kidding, that's every day here).
i'm done wasting time replying to you. All you do is argue in all your posts to try to show people up. Why do I need to present something to you in a specific way? Enjoy trolling- i won't be responding anymore

MSUSpartan
Jul 17, 2012, 05:14 PM

This. The iPad is too big and heavy for my wife too. I have an iPad and got her the Nexus 7.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Really want to play with one of these, especially some I'm a Android fanboy (I'm sure I will one day), but I'm loving my iPad 2 with AT&T wayyyy too much. It's not too big like those 10.1 inch tablets and not too small like the 7" Kindle Fire. Although I am on WiFi most of the time, it's really nice knowing that I have mobile data when I need it not needing to worry about tethering from my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk II

Carouser
Jul 17, 2012, 05:35 PM

I thought I was making germane points; to be accused of trolling is really disappointing (I even asked for evidence of all these terrible things I've been doing, and get more abuse!).

On topic: I've used a few eReaders and found the size and weight great for reading, so there you go. That said, eReaders are very cheap (relatively) so I wonder if the Nexus 7 will offer enough advantages to move away from an iPad + eReader combo.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
I thought I was making germane points; to be accused of trolling is really disappointing (I even asked for evidence of all these terrible things I've been doing, and get more abuse!).

On topic: I've used a few eReaders and found the size and weight great for reading, so there you go. That said, eReaders are very cheap (relatively) so I wonder if the Nexus 7 will offer enough advantages to move away from an iPad + eReader combo.

I didn't take sides. The bickering is annoying no matter who is wrong or right.

And as for your comment, I don't think so. People still cling onto the eReader (presumably with an E-Ink display) because of it's clarity under sunlight. That's one of the biggest reasons people still buy Kindles and Nooks (E-Ink ones) over LCD tablets. The Nexus 7 doesn't offer that. People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.

Carlanga
Jul 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
Reading books on a seven inch screen is very nice considering it's still bigger then average book pages.

Yeah, but I meant journals, textbooks, pdf, etc. Reading for work, studying, etc.

Spectrum Abuser
Jul 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, but I meant journals, textbooks, pdf, etc. Reading for work, studying, etc.

Well speaking from experience my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus handles PDF's great in landscape mode. I had to take notes for a math credit course and in landscape everything loaded and I didn't have to zoom even when it came to small hand-written scanned notes.

Frenchjay
Jul 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Here's the only reason I wouldn't buy a smaller iPad. The screen resolution. If it hasn't got a retina display then i will not buy one. I understand the device will be cheaper so the screen may take a hit but after using retina displays for years the screen would be something I wouldn't want to use. I don't know, maybe they can somehow put a retina display in there at a low price point?

iosuser
Jul 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
I have a Nexus 16GB ordered at J&R for $234 (they had a $15 off on 7/4). It's on backorder. I already have a Samsung Tab Plus 7" that I bought 3 weeks ago on an Amazon deal for $173. I'm still holding my breath for Samsung to release the ICS update. This is meant to replace one of the car DVD players so having 16GB + SD slot is a big plus, so I will probably end up canceling the Nexus order, which is too bad because that 7" 1280x720 screen is a great size and resolution.

I have a 32GB iPad 3 and had both prior versions, and I would have bought a 7" iPad the instant it comes out. I can use both sizes. Apple needs two sizes each on the iPhone and iPad - a bigger iPhone and a smaller iPad! But it's a bit too late as I already have the Tab Plus 7 and jumped ship to a Gnex phone from 4S, both of which I'm very pleased with.

zephyrnoid
Jul 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
So why HAS Apple been so late to this party ??? Here's my rant from this March...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14441769&postcount=31
Am I going to have to design the 7" tablet of the future now???:confused:

Night Spring
Jul 18, 2012, 03:45 AM
People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.

I think there ARE a few people who do genuinely want a smaller tablet, and they would buy a 7" iPad even if it cost the same as the 9" one. But for most people, I agree they are looking for a cheaper price. If Apple lowered the price of the iPad 2 another $100 to sell it at $300, that would pretty much crush the 7" tablet market.

urkel
Jul 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.
IMO, there's a lot of people out there that accept the iPad being "the right size" mainly because it's the only size we were offered. But once a 7" Tablet running the OS that WE prefer then the idea that "7in is too small" will be put in the same bucket as the "Text messaging is just for kids", "Nobody needs mobile LTE speeds" or "My iPhone will be less functional if it's bigger" nonsense because too many people form opinions without even trying it out.

I think what we are going to see IF a smaller iPad comes out is the same breakdown that we see with the bigger iPad. People will buy the version with the bare minimum specs because its the cheapest entry point, but a significant amount of people will also max out all specs and because many of us out here are more about getting a more portable iPad and price doesnt matter.

Personally, I have to carry what is essentially a purse in order to travel with my iPad3 so IF a smaller version comes out then I will gladly buy it and price wont get in the way of portability.

bufffilm
Jul 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
i had an opportunity yesterday to check out the newly arrived one that one of my co-workers bought and i can attest that the quality of the device is extremely nice, not a step down from what apple would do if they were to make a smaller tablet.

if this thing really has 9-10 hrs of real-world battery life, it's a sweet tablet provided you don't need 3g and are OK with the smaller screen size.

tempting to buy one but having a second tablet isn't really going to help me and the wiser move would be to put the $200+ against a future ipad4 or ipad5 upgrade.

I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also.

briceman
Jul 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
You missed my point. If the iPad were $200, would anyone including your wife think about a smaller screen? Ask her, I'm not hating on Android. I'm a developer and I write code for both platforms. The real issue is the iPad's $500 price tag versus something that is less than half the cost that can do similar things and do them just as well for the most part.

Price point is not an issue to her. She wants a smaller tablet. She liked the Kindle Fire, but wanted the iOS ecosystem, so we are hoping a smaller iPad does come out, and for now she uses her iPhone.

flyguy206
Jul 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
People just want a 7 inch tablet Because google has one. Before the nexus 7 announcement nobody was taking about 7 inch tablet like they are now. the 200$ price point seems to be the only reason people are initially are even buying it. Apple does not give people what they want Because once the hype goes away like it will for the nexus 7 people are going to be like why did I eve buy this. Just like With the kindle fire.

topmounter
Jul 18, 2012, 10:05 AM

You still owe the sales tax... the only question is whether Google collects it at the time of purchase or you pay it when you file your annual state tax return.

adildacoolset
Jul 18, 2012, 10:07 AM

1. Big book wouldn't really be a hassle
2. I doubt
3. There's photon browser for ipad. And you also won't get flash on a nexus 7.

urkel
Jul 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
People just want a 7 inch tablet Because google has one. Before the nexus 7 announcement nobody was taking about 7 inch tablet like they are now. the 200$ price point seems to be the only reason people are initially are even buying it. Apple does not give people what they want Because once the hype goes away like it will for the nexus 7 people are going to be like why did I eve buy this. Just like With the kindle fire.
Wow. Too many things wrong there to even bother disputing.

flyguy206
Jul 18, 2012, 03:26 PM

Just a few weeks ago people had complaints that the ipad could not replace a laptop now people want a 7 inch tablet .

BFizzzle
Jul 18, 2012, 03:42 PM

stupid principle? i thought it was the law :) most companies dont. When i order from musicians friend they never do here in texas. wahoo.

freudling
Jul 18, 2012, 03:57 PM

Actually, he's spot on.

This will be a buyer's remorse thing. Once again, initial hype and then after a few months they'll be collecting dust on people's shelves and in warehouses.

iCal and come back. I guarantee it.

poloponies
Jul 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
stupid principle? i thought it was the law :) most companies dont. When i order from musicians friend they never do here in texas. wahoo.

Currently online companies only charge tax in states where they have some physical operation (warehouse, distribution center, etc.). So if Musician's Friend has no physical ties to Texas, it won't charge tax in Texas.

BFizzzle
Jul 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
Currently online companies only charge tax in states where they have some physical operation (warehouse, distribution center, etc.). So if Musician's Friend has no physical ties to Texas, it won't charge tax in Texas.

...yep i already knew that ;) they cant legally tax you if they don't physically have their business there. that's why i told the post i was replying to its the law, and not just his principle so he shouldn't feel that its stupid.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
IMO, there's a lot of people out there that accept the iPad being "the right size" mainly because it's the only size we were offered. But once a 7" Tablet running the OS that WE prefer then the idea that "7in is too small" will be put in the same bucket as the "Text messaging is just for kids", "Nobody needs mobile LTE speeds" or "My iPhone will be less functional if it's bigger" nonsense because too many people form opinions without even trying it out.

I think what we are going to see IF a smaller iPad comes out is the same breakdown that we see with the bigger iPad. People will buy the version with the bare minimum specs because its the cheapest entry point, but a significant amount of people will also max out all specs and because many of us out here are more about getting a more portable iPad and price doesnt matter.

Personally, I have to carry what is essentially a purse in order to travel with my iPad3 so IF a smaller version comes out then I will gladly buy it and price wont get in the way of portability.

I've tried out many 7" tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab and RIM's PlayBook amongst others. The part I bolded is completely false. The iPad is not the first or only tablet in the market. The iPad is the first and only one to get it right. Your examples with LTE, text messaging and a bigger iPhone are logically wrong. That isn't to say they are wrong but to compare to that this is wrong. I do think the 7" size is too small. For an ereader, no. For a general tablet, yes.

ZBoater
Jul 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
This "too large" or "too small" argument sound like Goldilocks to me. There is no such thing. Different people have different preferences. One size does NOT fit all. Accept it an move one.

I absolutely love the 7" factor, although I find it a little too small for my taste. I've been playing with the Nexus 24 hours, and am very impressed with how slick Jelly Bean is. My preferred form factor is the 8.9 GTab. I own that one, the 7" one, and the Nexus (and the iPad of course). I find the iPad a little too heavy for some of my uses. The 8.9 GTab is perfect for me. Lighter, slimmer than the iPad and big enough for my purposes.

That being said, I am keeping my Nexus because I really like that form factor as well, and I think Google got it right this time. If they come up with a Nexus 8 or 9, I'm all over that! :apple:

Roy G Biv
Jul 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
OP, I don't know what you mean to insinuate about the men of this forum saying it can fit nicely in a woman's purse. A lot of things can fit in a woman's purse, so what?

aziatiklover
Jul 18, 2012, 07:50 PM

Well I know the law. I didnt like the fact that google charge me tax when they dont have any store here in texas.

poloponies
Jul 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well I know the law. I didnt like the fact that google charge me tax when they dont have any store here in texas.

It's not just a store but a business presence in the state that creates a state sales tax obligation. Google is not charging you the tax, your state is, Google has to pay every cent of that to Texas.

topmounter
Jul 18, 2012, 08:57 PM

You live in your state.

Which means that...

You still owe the state sales tax (assuming your state has state sales tax).

If the company that you are buying from does not have nexus (a physical location) in your state, the state doesn't have the ability to require that they charge you for the tax.

The particulars differ from state to state, but you are supposed to tell them how much stuff you purchased from out of state during the year and pay the appropriate state sales tax.

Amazon has already had to cut a deal w/ California. (http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/18/news/economy/amazon-sales-tax/)

freudling
Jul 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
I've tried out many 7" tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab and RIM's PlayBook amongst others. The part I bolded is completely false. The iPad is not the first or only tablet in the market. The iPad is the first and only one to get it right. Your examples with LTE, text messaging and a bigger iPhone are logically wrong. That isn't to say they are wrong but to compare to that this is wrong. I do think the 7" size is too small. For an ereader, no. For a general tablet, yes.

This.

AppleHater
Jul 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
Do we really have to talk about taxes here? Really? It's ruining my mood for gadgets and toys. :D

Capt T
Jul 19, 2012, 07:09 AM

They have a headquarters In Texas. So there is a physical location there.

http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/locations/

f00f
Jul 19, 2012, 09:01 AM
I've had the Nexus 7 for the past 48 hours or so but have only used it for a few of those. I also have five Macs, two iPads and two iPhones in the house, but have been exploring the Droid offerings as of late (I have an SGS3 as well).

I can tell you there are minor quality issues with the build of the Nexus & considering how cheap the device is I'm not terribly surprised. First there's a bit of screen flicker (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1740385) at low brightness levels (i.e. in a dark room), but folks online seem to think this is a driver issue. The Google I/O versions of the tablet supposedly had really bad flicker; the flicker I observe in the retail version (purchased from Google Play) isn't nearly as bad.

The Nexus also has screen separation issues (http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-screen-separation-issue-fix-discovered-101898/). (Other links (http://www.google.com/search?q=google+nexus+7+screen+separation)). The glass of the screen isn't particularly flush with the bezel & in some areas along the edges, generally the left side, the glass sort of bulges so that it's "popping out" a bit from the frame. If you apply a bit of pressure (pinching the edge between thumb and forefinger) there's a bit of creaking. Supposedly some assemblers were lazy and didn't tighten down some screws. My Nexus has this "issue" as well but I haven't gotten around to tearing 'er open.

The only other concern about the physical form of the device is the lack of real-estate along the long edges of the bezel. The iPad has a nice wide border along all edges but the Nexus 7's borders along the long edges are about half as wide as those on the short sides -- about half an inch or so. It's easy to have the thumb or the meat of the palm (depending on how chunky one's hands are) inadvertently tapping the screen in portrait orientation.

Regarding reading books -- considering the screen size is on par with that of a Kindle (larger, in fact), it's really just fine. Granted the only "book" I've read bits of so far is the user manual, it's been a joy. No complaints whatsoever in this department.

Here's side-by-side comparison with your run-of-the-mill Kindle. (My Nexus still had it's plastic prophylactic in this pic.) On top of the Nexus is the SGS3 which is in a Rocketfish soft case. Pic taken with my SIM-less iPhone 4S. ;)
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n4gjq7fgon2rufw/255364_3705465072025_202684884_n.jpg

xraydoc
Jul 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm holding out for a 7.8" iPad, but I'll consider a Nexus 7 this fall if a smaller iPad doesn't appear. My wife has a Kindle Fire and sometimes the smaller form factor is nice.

Lindenhurst
Jul 19, 2012, 01:49 PM

I have an IPad and I bought a Nexus 7. They are 2 different devices. the Nexus 7 is better for 1 handed use and easier to take places, whereas the IPad has more features and. Larger screen. Had I not had an IPad already, I probably wouldn't buy one now. Guess I like the smaller size....but.....With that said....Apple deserves the credit for the tablet concept, or at least for making the concept desirable.

the Nexus 7 is not at all a Kindle Fire, as it is much better than the Kindle, and at $200, it will attract those who can't afford an IPad, and those who can afford an Ipad but simple choose to buy something different.
The funny thing is that if I wasn't already familiar with Android because I use an Android phone, I probably wouldn't have even considered the Nexus 7 or any other Android tablet.
Sometimes trying a different device opens up now doors. it has for me. I realize that Apple isn't the only viable game in town.

blackhand1001
Jul 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
I've had the Nexus 7 for the past 48 hours or so but have only used it for a few of those. I also have five Macs, two iPads and two iPhones in the house, but have been exploring the Droid offerings as of late (I have an SGS3 as well).

I can tell you there are minor quality issues with the build of the Nexus & considering how cheap the device is I'm not terribly surprised. First there's a bit of screen flicker (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1740385) at low brightness levels (i.e. in a dark room), but folks online seem to think this is a driver issue. The Google I/O versions of the tablet supposedly had really bad flicker; the flicker I observe in the retail version (purchased from Google Play) isn't nearly as bad.

The Nexus also has screen separation issues (http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-screen-separation-issue-fix-discovered-101898/). (Other links (http://www.google.com/search?q=google+nexus+7+screen+separation)). The glass of the screen isn't particularly flush with the bezel & in some areas along the edges, generally the left side, the glass sort of bulges so that it's "popping out" a bit from the frame. If you apply a bit of pressure (pinching the edge between thumb and forefinger) there's a bit of creaking. Supposedly some assemblers were lazy and didn't tighten down some screws. My Nexus has this "issue" as well but I haven't gotten around to tearing 'er open.

The only other concern about the physical form of the device is the lack of real-estate along the long edges of the bezel. The iPad has a nice wide border along all edges but the Nexus 7's borders along the long edges are about half as wide as those on the short sides -- about half an inch or so. It's easy to have the thumb or the meat of the palm (depending on how chunky one's hands are) inadvertently tapping the screen in portrait orientation.

Regarding reading books -- considering the screen size is on par with that of a Kindle (larger, in fact), it's really just fine. Granted the only "book" I've read bits of so far is the user manual, it's been a joy. No complaints whatsoever in this department.

Here's side-by-side comparison with your run-of-the-mill Kindle. (My Nexus still had it's plastic prophylactic in this pic.) On top of the Nexus is the SGS3 which is in a Rocketfish soft case. Pic taken with my SIM-less iPhone 4S. ;)
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n4gjq7fgon2rufw/255364_3705465072025_202684884_n.jpg
I had a little bit of flex on my right side of my nexus 7. The back cover comes off really easy. Its just like a battery cover pretty much. The hardest part is getting the first tab off. I was able to get it off with just my fingernail.

Try installing the regular aosp jellybean browser if you get a chance. Its way smoother than chrome. I don't know why Google made chrome the default on here. The stock jellybean browser is way better.

Rodster
Jul 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
LOL I was just about to post about the screen separation issues. I have it on mine and yup if I pinch the left side it gets flush. Then it will slightly separate again. :p

So will this problem get any worse? Thoughts?

Lara F
Jul 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
Actually, he's spot on.

This will be a buyer's remorse thing. Once again, initial hype and then after a few months they'll be collecting dust on people's shelves and in warehouses.

iCal and come back. I guarantee it.

Typing from one now. All I can say is, good luck with that bet.

Flash can be sideloaded for now, I have it working on the Firefox Aurora build since Dolphin disabled it on Jellybean. The full screen button doesn't always work depending on the video, but you can pinch and zoom to resize. Unless Photon has substantially updated since I last checked there's no comparison in video quality. The closest I've seen on the iPad is via OnLive Desktop and that's subscription based (plus VPN to bypass geoblocking won't work).

Unfortunately it's an Android OS update away from being completely broken which will probably happen sooner than later.

Rodster
Jul 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
I had a little bit of flex on my right side of my nexus 7. The back cover comes off really easy. Its just like a battery cover pretty much. The hardest part is getting the first tab off. I was able to get it off with just my fingernail.

UPDATE:

I tried the fix on the link provided. I removed the back cover and finger tightened the back screws and it's flush again. I'll keep an eye out to see if it lifts again. :)

BSben
Jul 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Is this an iPad thread?
YES it is, so what is the point of this discussion?
I am sure there are forums for Android tablets, or have they not copied that yet?

Renzatic
Jul 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Is this an iPad thread?

No. It's a Nexus 7 thread. Even says so in the title.

Geez, man. Geez.

jtmarine73
Jul 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
I just got the Nexus 7 in the mail the other day (wasn't happy about the sales tax either, but got a $25 credit the Play Store, so it's a wash). I also have the original iPad and a 3gs (had the 4s). I have to agree with the comment that Apple needs to stop thinking about what we want, and just build multiple sizes of the same devices. There is NO question that Apple does a much better job of build quality by controlling the hardware and software, but Google is killing them by letting the manufacturers go to town (I think I heard that Samsung has 120 android models). Anyway, I decided to try the Nexus 7 because my daughter has a Nook Tablet and I loved the size. So for $200 I got a great tablet with awesome specs that I can put any app on (not just the ones that B&N or Amazon decide I can have.... and not to mention there isn't a single free app for the Nook). The Nexus is not an iPad killer, but so far it is proving to be quite capable. Apple needs to realize they need to listen to the consumer. They do it with multiple sizes of the iPod.

flyguy206
Jul 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
I have an IPad and I bought a Nexus 7. They are 2 different devices. the Nexus 7 is better for 1 handed use and easier to take places, whereas the IPad has more features and. Larger screen. Had I not had an IPad already, I probably wouldn't buy one now. Guess I like the smaller size....but.....With that said....Apple deserves the credit for the tablet concept, or at least for making the concept desirable.

the Nexus 7 is not at all a Kindle Fire, as it is much better than the Kindle, and at $200, it will attract those who can't afford an IPad, and those who can afford an Ipad but simple choose to buy something different.
The funny thing is that if I wasn't already familiar with Android because I use an Android phone, I probably wouldn't have even considered the Nexus 7 or any other Android tablet.
Sometimes trying a different device opens up now doors. it has for me. I realize that Apple isn't the only viable game in town.

Just a few weeks ago people wanted iPad to repalce laptops. Now it is too much to carry around. The funny thing is I see more nexus 7 threads on this site then into on sites that don't even like iOS

ZBoater
Jul 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
...The funny thing is I see more nexus 7 threads on this site then into on sites that don't even like iOS

Really? I've seen like two.

Roy G Biv
Jul 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
How about that Nexus speaker on the back? Maybe compare it to the iPad's speaker... loudness, musicality--that sort of thing?

Specifically, is it good enough to hear dialogue for podcasts and Youtube clips.

freudling
Jul 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Ok so many of you know how anti tweener tablet I am. I've spent the day with the Nexus 7.

I'm impressed with it: performance is very good. I haven't seen as good performance on any other Android device.

However, it's still a **** sandwich compared to iOS. iOS is faster abd more smooth full stop.

7": It's cool the lightness and smallness... but you soon realize how hard it is to resist picking up your smartphone to say, type this post. My Nexus is sitting on the table and I'm typing this on my iPhone. Now I'm dictating this. One handholding with thumb typing is too hard to resist. And so is the Retina screen. It's impossible for me to use non Retina screens now. The Nexus 7 has a nice screen but it's grainy compared to Retinas.

What I'm saying is I only feel like I want to use this to read a novel: other than that, it's virtually useless. My smartphone make up a lot of my daily computer use, my iPad for the couch, my laptop for work.

Nexus 7: Meh.

entatlrg
Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ok so many of you know how anti tweener tablet I am. I've spent the day with the Nexus 7.

I'm impressed with it: performance is very good. I haven't seen as good performance on any other Android device.

However, it's still a **** sandwich compared to iOS. iOS is faster abd more smooth full stop.

7": It's cool the lightness and smallness... but you soon realize how hard it is to resist picking up your smartphone to say, type this post. My Nexus is sitting on the table and I'm typing this on my iPhone. Now I'm dictating this. One handholding with thumb typing is too hard to resist. And so is the Retina screen. It's impossible for me to use non Retina screens now. The Nexus 7 has a nice screen but it's grainy compared to Retinas.

What I'm saying is I only feel like I want to use this to read a novel: other than that, it's virtually useless. My smartphone make up a lot of my daily computer use, my iPad for the couch, my laptop for work.

Nexus 7: Meh.

I've only spent the day with my Nexus 7 as well but my initial reaction is very near yours. Makes me recall Steve Jobs saying a 7" tablet wasn't so interesting.

I'm happy with the tablet itself, seems well built, nice rubber back, screen is okay not excellent, Android works well on it no major complaints there.

But the size, where it fits in I'm not sure. Google will sell many no doubt because of the very attractive price, it looks like a mini iPad.

I hope most don't choose a 7" tablet as their first and only tablet because I just don't think the user experience is anywhere near that of a 10" tablet. Reading, scrolling, just navigating and doing things, even watching a video is so much better on a larger screen, IMO.

And, if not using a 10" tablet the next choice would be my smartphone, if you don't like Apple's 3.5" screen there's lots to choose from in 4.3-4.8", for example my HTC One that I find nearly as useful as a 7" screen, plus it has 3G so for me I'm not sure a 7" tablet is a good fit, whether it's made by Google/Asus or Apple.

Price is the attraction for sure, but you loose a lot saving that $250, yet many out there would love a tablet and just don't have the extra money to put out for a larger one. Maybe it's better then nothing, although I think saving up a little extra money and buying a larger size would make most consumers happier.

It's only my first day with it , I'm going to give it a good test over the next week or two.

AppleHater
Jul 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
I've got enough Apple products that I can't count them all with one hand. As a gadget lover, I can't help but curious about the world out there. :D

I've tried Transformer last year, and it was meh. I've pre-ordered Nexus 7 and I think it'll complement my iPad very well. This way, I can try apps from both worlds, and the Google Music Player over the net is pretty cool.

identity
Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 PM
I've only spent the day with my Nexus 7 as well but my initial reaction is very near yours. Makes me recall Steve Jobs saying a 7" tablet wasn't so interesting.

I'm happy with the tablet itself, seems well built, nice rubber back, screen is okay not excellent, Android works well on it no major complaints there.

But the size, where it fits in I'm not sure. Google will sell many no doubt because of the very attractive price, it looks like a mini iPad.

I hope most don't choose a 7" tablet as their first and only tablet because I just don't think the user experience is anywhere near that of a 10" tablet. Reading, scrolling, just navigating and doing things, even watching a video is so much better on a larger screen, IMO.

And, if not using a 10" tablet the next choice would be my smartphone, if you don't like Apple's 3.5" screen there's lots to choose from in 4.3-4.8", for example my HTC One that I find nearly as useful as a 7" screen, plus it has 3G so for me I'm not sure a 7" tablet is a good fit, whether it's made by Google/Asus or Apple.

Price is the attraction for sure, but you loose a lot saving that $250, yet many out there would love a tablet and just don't have the extra money to put out for a larger one. Maybe it's better then nothing, although I think saving up a little extra money and buying a larger size would make most consumers happier.

It's only my first day with it , I'm going to give it a good test over the next week or two.

Same here. I just got it this afternoon and the right side of the Nexus 7 has a slight creak on it and it's not noticeable unless I press the side on purpose to hear the creak. No backlight bleeding as well and it is more portable at 7 inches than the ipad but Chrome wasn't as smooth as safari on the ipad. I tested them both side by side on engadget.com and the Nexus would load faster than my ipad retina but the page would stutter when I try to scroll down on the Nexus while the ipad's was ready to scroll up and down when the page loaded up. if the Nexus chrome browser was faster at being usable then I would have a better web browsing experience.

Maybe I'm just too ingrained with the retina display because the Nexus screen isn't as sharp as the iPad's and it's 9.7 inch screen also allows more text to be displayed obviously but I didn't think it would bother me this much. I did like the Chrome's zoom-in tool which zoomed in on the text and enlarge the text in a little bubble popup over the text which was nice.

Even though I liked the Nexus and was dying to get one since the anouncement, I'm going to stick with the iPad because I had a better browsing experience and the retina display has spoiled me but I'm not saying the Nexus's screen is bad because it isn't, I just like the ipad's screen better.

freudling
Jul 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
I've got enough Apple products that I can't count them all with one hand. As a gadget lover, I can't help but curious about the world out there. :D

I've tried Transformer last year, and it was meh. I've pre-ordered Nexus 7 and I think it'll complement my iPad very well. This way, I can try apps from both worlds, and the Google Music Player over the net is pretty cool.

Guaranteed you'll end up where we have. You'll be sitting there using it, browsing the web wondering why you're holding something so small with 2 hands. Then you'll realize it's too big to browse with 1 hand and thumb scroll yet you'll feel like it's the retarded version of your smartphone. I have a much better browsing experience on my iPhone. Right next to me right now is my Nexus 7 and I'm using my iPhone. I don't even want to use it the Nexus.

Do my famous 30 min. test. Hide your other go to devices and pretend this is all you have. Use it for 30 min. like you have nothing else in your life. If you come out of that 30 min. feeling good, then keep it.

I guarantee you won't.

What this is in my opinion is a glorified eReader. Good for reading novels and that's it. I miss my iPad and iPhone terribly when I use it.

Wrong form factor and Androud doesn't hold a candle to iOS: the inmates are running the asylum in Android.

brentsg
Jul 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
I picked one up and quite like it. I have the opposite feeling toward my phone. I wish the Nexus 7 had LTE because if it did I'd probably ditch the iPhone for something much more basic.

I need a lot more time with the OS to figure some of the customization out. I definitely need the home screen to be landscape.

I much prefer my iPad but the Nexus is awfully portable.

freudling
Jul 20, 2012, 01:39 AM
I picked one up and quite like it. I have the opposite feeling toward my phone. I wish the Nexus 7 had LTE because if it did I'd probably ditch the iPhone for something much more basic.

I need a lot more time with the OS to figure some of the customization out. I definitely need the home screen to be landscape.

You would seriously, for real, trade your iPhone for a Nexus 7? Do you people actually realize you don't believe what you say on the Internet? Or you don't know the implications of what your saying?

----------

Typing from one now. All I can say is, good luck with that bet.

Flash can be sideloaded for now, I have it working on the Firefox Aurora build since Dolphin disabled it on Jellybean. The full screen button doesn't always work depending on the video, but you can pinch and zoom to resize. Unless Photon has substantially updated since I last checked there's no comparison in video quality. The closest I've seen on the iPad is via OnLive Desktop and that's subscription based (plus VPN to bypass geoblocking won't work).

Unfortunately it's an Android OS update away from being completely broken which will probably happen sooner than later.

I don't need luck. It's rational.

The Nexus 7 is just like the Fire and the Galaxy Tab that came before it. It performs better and that's great. But 7" have failed in the market because they're effectively a useless form factor.

It's a no brainer. I'll bet anyone $100 bucks the Nexus 7 falls flat on its face in a few months with sales dropping off of a cliff.

Night Spring
Jul 20, 2012, 05:01 AM

I remember reading that there is an option somewhere to allow the homescreen to rotate. Good luck finding it! :D

Capt T
Jul 20, 2012, 07:14 AM

Here is an article with tips, posted the landscape tip.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20711/12-tips-using-google-nexus-7-tablet

"Rotate screen from portrait to landscape. My Nexus 7 arrived with screen rotation disabled, so I went to Settings -> Display ... but there was no way to enable rotation. It turns out that you've got to swipe down from the top bar to access the notification pulldown "shade," then tap the little icon with the lock and arrows around it."

Lindenhurst
Jul 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
Is this an iPad thread?
YES it is, so what is the point of this discussion?
I am sure there are forums for Android tablets, or have they not copied that yet?

Actually I made it clear in my post that this was a thread discussing the form factor of a 7-8 inch tablet, and not about Android vs IOS. Can't you read or are you one of those who just likes to argue with those who don't buy into your point of view?

Maybe read the first post again. It'll sink in after a few minutes...hopefully.

brentsg
Jul 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
You would seriously, for real, trade your iPhone for a Nexus 7? Do you people actually realize you don't believe what you say on the Internet? Or you don't know the implications of what your saying?

yes, absolutely.

The only thing I need a smartphone for now is that rare occasion that my iPad isn't handy (park with kids, restaurant, etc) and even then it's basic e-mail.

The rest of the time I keep my iPad with me. A 7" tablet would be great out and about. Of course it would require a data plan to really be useful.

----------

Here is an article with tips, posted the landscape tip.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20711/12-tips-using-google-nexus-7-tablet

"Rotate screen from portrait to landscape. My Nexus 7 arrived with screen rotation disabled, so I went to Settings -> Display ... but there was no way to enable rotation. It turns out that you've got to swipe down from the top bar to access the notification pulldown "shade," then tap the little icon with the lock and arrows around it."

There is another way to do that as well, but unfortunately they have locked all of the home screen stuff into portrait mode. So you can be using all your apps landscape and every time you exit an app it snaps back to portrait. It is pretty annoying. I understand that it can be hacked but I'm sure it will get a legit fix.

Lindenhurst
Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Download the free "rotate" app from the Google play store and it rotate automatically.

I'm using it an it works flawlessly.

Lindenhurst
Jul 20, 2012, 01:15 PM

----------

I don't need luck. It's rational.

The Nexus 7 is just like the Fire and the Galaxy Tab that came before it. It performs better and that's great. But 7" have failed in the market because they're effectively a useless form factor.

It's a no brainer. I'll bet anyone $100 bucks the Nexus 7 falls flat on its face in a few months with sales dropping off of a cliff.

Remember this post when Apple comes out with a smaller form factor. I guess it won't be a useless form factor then right?
It doesn't take over much intelligence for one to realize that there is a market for a smaller device, whether they are Apple devices or Android devices.

Just because the IPad came out with a 9.7" screen size doesn't mean that it is the right size for all. I guess we should have 1 size "everything" for everyone.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 03:06 AM
Guaranteed you'll end up where we have. You'll be sitting there using it, browsing the web wondering why you're holding something so small with 2 hands. Then you'll realize it's too big to browse with 1 hand and thumb scroll yet you'll feel like it's the retarded version of your smartphone. I have a much better browsing experience on my iPhone. Right next to me right now is my Nexus 7 and I'm using my iPhone. I don't even want to use it the Nexus.

To the other people who are using the Nexus or another 7" tablet: Is this true? Do you need to hod it with two hands? Or is it more like hold it with one hand and scroll/tap with the other?

MacFan23
Jul 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Or iReader perhaps? Actually, I think the time would be alright for them to reuse the iBook brand. Enough time's passed I think. They did it with the iSight, why not?

They are using the iBook brand...
iBooks 2 even got its own press event.

christophermdia
Jul 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
I got the Nexus 7, and am very entwined in the apple environment. Household items: 2 MacBook airs, 1 Mac mini w/ LCD, 2 appletv's, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPod touches. And yet, I have not been fully satisfied with all the offerings. I picked up the Nexus 7 and feel it is pretty much perfect size-wise. The OS is not bad either, not as refined as ios, but certainly usable. I cannot wait for an iPad mini to come out to round out the offerings. Even then I think I would still hang on to the Nexus as a secondary device.

nishishei
Jul 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
Or is it more like hold it with one hand and scroll/tap with the other?

Dude don't you do that for the iPad too? The secret is get a better case for the iPad so that it's more sturdy holding with one hand. Like a bear motion or snugg case.

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
To the other people who are using the Nexus or another 7" tablet: Is this true? Do you need to hod it with two hands? Or is it more like hold it with one hand and scroll/tap with the other?

You can hold it with one hand and scroll and tap with the other. The point is that you can't use it with one hand: holding and using your thumb to tap, scroll, etc. You lose this ability that you get with your smartphone.

Look at these comparison pictures I did showing how the Web actually looks BETTER on my iPhone 4S without any pinching and zooming compared to the Nexus Sexus. Yet, people think they want to use a tweener that is much bigger, more awkward, less portable, heavier... Jobs is right.

Look here:

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv116/freudling/Suck%20It/

Lindenhurst
Jul 21, 2012, 12:51 PM

Hold in one....scroll with other. Very easy to hold in 1 hand.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Dude don't you do that for the iPad too?

Of course, that's what I do. I was just trying to figure out why freudling was making such a big deal out of the fact that you need two hands to use the Nexus 7.

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
Remember this post when Apple comes out with a smaller form factor. I guess it won't be a useless form factor then right?
It doesn't take over much intelligence for one to realize that there is a market for a smaller device, whether they are Apple devices or Android devices.

Just because the IPad came out with a 9.7" screen size doesn't mean that it is the right size for all. I guess we should have 1 size "everything" for everyone.

If Apple comes out with a Mini: it will still be a useless form factor, just like walking around with a piano fixed to your back is useless. It'll be the biggest mistake Apple could make and it will fail.

Are any of you getting what Jobs said? It's cool to be geeks like us and develop software, etc. But we also have to be grown up and realize that there's other people out there, the consumers, that have lives and patterns of behaviours. I hate tweeners and think they're useless like Jobs did but I own an Nexus Sexus 7! I have it to test it for our development.

Look at these pictures and ask yourself if anyone needs this when smartphones do such a good job of the Internet in our pockets. One handed use. Everybody needs a smartphone: it's the ultimate, portable communication and entertainment device. The market has spoken with hundreds of millions selling every year. Tweeners are a waste...

Lindenhurst
Jul 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
You can hold it with one hand and scroll and tap with the other. The point is that you can't use it with one hand: holding and using your thumb to tap, scroll, etc. You lose this ability that you get with your smartphone.

Look at these comparison pictures I did showing how the Web actually looks BETTER on my iPhone 4S without any pinching and zooming compared to the Nexus Sexus. Yet, people think they want to use a tweener that is much bigger, more awkward, less portable, heavier... Jobs is right.

Look here:

If you think the web looks better on your small iPhone screen....you are so much of an apple fan that you are blind.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
Look at these comparison pictures I did showing how the Web actually looks BETTER on my iPhone 4S without any pinching and zooming compared to the Nexus Sexus.

I'm going to have to take your word for it that the iPhone looks better -- I realize that may very well be the case because of the different screen technologies. But from those pictures, I couldn't judge which looks better. The iPhone is definitely smaller, though! ;)

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
If you think the web looks better on your small iPhone screen....you are so much of an apple fan that you are blind.

I am not blind and this is a fact. The Retina screen is better than the low resolution Sexus. Second, the rendering of the text on the Sexus is very small to the point where you have to pinch and zoom. All of this is a fact.

----------

I'm going to have to take your word for it that the iPhone looks better -- I realize that may very well be the case because of the different screen technologies. But from those pictures, I couldn't judge which looks better. The iPhone is definitely smaller, though! ;)

No, the iPhone is not rendering things smaller across the board. For instance, the Macrumors site it's the same size and subtext looks even BIGGER on the iPhone.

nishishei
Jul 21, 2012, 01:09 PM

The web looks better on an iPad vs the Nexus 7 too. I think the point was that in terms of functionality the 7 incher is not much different than the smartphone, just bigger, while the iPad allows for added utility like reading pdf scientific journals in one original page or reading magazines without reflowing and panning from the original.

I really wanted to love the nexus 7 for its portable form factor while still having the same PDF reading utility as the iPad, but I found out instead the nexus 7 is just a bigger phone, and thus the advantages of the form factor becomes a moot point since my phone is even more portable and I'm not blind. I can't read a scientific PDF on the nexus without panning just as much as on my phone, because the rendering takes a nosedive at small fonts on the nexus. To aggravate matters PDF rendering is slow as molasses on the nexus for any PDF bigger than a couple of pages.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
No, the iPhone is not rendering things smaller across the board. For instance, the Macrumors site it's the same size and subtext looks even BIGGER on the iPhone.

Well, like I said, hard to tell details like that from your pictures, which are kind of blurry. As for MacRumors, are you using the same "theme" on both devices? You know, Fixed, Fluid, Fluid HD?

ixodes
Jul 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
I've had every iPhone since day one.

I've had every iPad since day one.

My point? Simple really... I really like Apple products, as I've been using their laptops since 1991. I like OS X a lot, and I've been deeply enmeshed with the brand day in and day out, since I use them at work at home.

That said...

Those who have read my other posts, know that my one and only major complaint is Apple's hesitancy (at least until the next iPhone is revealed) is their continued use of a 3.5" display on the iPhone.

In a similar vain (discussing display size) I have been quite surprised at how many people on this forum have such hate against a 7" iPad. Although I enjoy the full size iPads, I could also put a 7" iPad to very good use. I know this because I've had 7" tablets from other manufacturers and I find that size perfect for my frequent travel. It's a form factor that fits in well with my constant companion... a MacBook Pro or Air, depending on my needs.

It's the nature of my business that I choose to always carry a MacBook. Despite my best efforts, if I ad my full size iPad to the bag it is simply too much. The 7" size ergonomically is quite nice when traveling by air. While some of my flights are first class which eliminates the space issue, conversely, there are many times I'm commuting by air in a smaller aircraft where space is an issue. Thus I would be delighted if Apple would offer a smaller iPad, something that may finally happen.

In the meantime, I must say I'm very impressed with my Nexus 7. Android's come a long way and the current version shipped on the Nexus is fast, fun and very stable. Likewise their apps have improved and the selection is quite vast.

And yet, if Apple had a 7" iPad available, I would not have bought the Nexus. Why Apple is taking so long to get products out, is something that baffles me. I'm very confident that I'm not the only one that bought a Nexus 7 only because Apple had nothing to offer me.

At the end of the day, if Apple doesn't ramp up their program, Android is going to take a greater slice of the pie. Not everyone will wait patiently for a product they know will be more expensive, and may not even appear.

While Nexus is little, if any threat, at the rate Apple is going, nothing lasts forever. To remain strong, to remain relevant and to remain in high demand, Apple's got to resist the urge to coast along, and use their skills to innovate.

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
I've had every iPhone since day one.

I've had every iPad since day one.

My point? Simple really... I really like Apple products, as I've been using their laptops since 1991. I like OS X a lot, and I've been deeply enmeshed with the brand day in and day out, since I use them at work at home.

That said...

Those who have read my other posts, know that my one and only major complaint is Apple's hesitancy (at least until the next iPhone is revealed) is their continued use of a 3.5" display on the iPhone.

In a similar vain (discussing display size) I have been quite surprised at how many people on this forum have such hate against a 7" iPad. Although I enjoy the full size iPads, I could also put a 7" iPad to very good use. I know this because I've had 7" tablets from other manufacturers and I find that size perfect for my frequent travel. It's a form factor that fits in well with my constant companion... a MacBook Pro or Air, depending on my needs.

It's the nature of my business that I choose to always carry a MacBook. Despite my best efforts, if I ad my full size iPad to the bag it is simply too much. The 7" size ergonomically is quite nice when traveling by air. While some of my flights are first class which eliminates the space issue, conversely, there are many times I'm commuting by air in a smaller aircraft where space is an issue. Thus I would be delighted if Apple would offer a smaller iPad, something that may finally happen.

In the meantime, I must say I'm very impressed with my Nexus 7. Android's come a long way and the current version shipped on the Nexus is fast, fun and very stable. Likewise their apps have improved and the selection is quite vast.

And yet, if Apple had a 7" iPad available, I would not have bought the Nexus. Why Apple is taking so long to get products out, is something that baffles me. I'm very confident that I'm not the only one that bought a Nexus 7 only because Apple had nothing to offer me.

At the end of the day, if Apple doesn't ramp up their program, Android is going to take a greater slice of the pie. Not everyone will wait patiently for a product they know will be more expensive, and may not even appear.

While Nexus is little, if any threat, at the rate Apple is going, nothing lasts forever. To remain strong, to remain relevant and to remain in high demand, Apple's got to resist the urge to coast along, and use their skills to innovate.

Because a bunch geeks like us like gadgets... doesn't mean Apple should produce a product like a tweener. Every indication is that they will fail. Tweeners have failed in the market and the 7" form factor offers nothing over a smartphone.

Why doesn't Apple go bigger than a 3.5" screen? Because it gets too hard to one handed use the device. This can't be understated.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 01:49 PM

I think the problem may be that there is only one Jonathan Ive, and he was tied up designing the retina MacBook Pro. :D

----------

Because a bunch geeks like us like gadgets... doesn't mean Apple should produce a product like a tweener. Every indication is that they will fail. Tweeners have failed in the market and the 7" form factor offers nothing over a smartphone.

I think the group of people who *think* they want a tweener tablet extends well beyond just geeks. Whether that size is as useful as most people think, it's hard to say. And it's hard to say that tweener tablets have failed because there's something inherently wrong with that size, or if it's because they weren't made by Apple. After all, 9+ inch tablets made by companies other than Apple haven't been doing all that well, either.

ixodes
Jul 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
I think the problem may be that there is only one Jonathan Ive, and he was tied up designing the retina MacBook Pro. :D

I think you are 100% correct... or something like that :)

He certainly hasn't been busy on the narrow iPhone (if in fact it's true).

The persistent rumors about the narrow 4.0" model are highly discouraging. I sure hope there's a last minute surprise as unlikely as that seems.

I have yet to see anything he's designed that I didn't like... just some I like better than others.

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 02:12 PM

----------

I think the group of people who *think* they want a tweener tablet extends well beyond just geeks. Whether that size is as useful as most people think, it's hard to say. And it's hard to say that tweener tablets have failed because there's something inherently wrong with that size, or if it's because they weren't made by Apple. After all, 9+ inch tablets made by companies other than Apple haven't been doing all that well, either.

From my testing, from Jobs's comments, from everything I've seen in the market, it's the form factor that's a problem: no matter who makes it, they'll fail because nobody needs it. Because it doesn't have a reason to live.

Dustman
Jul 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
They are using the iBook brand...
iBooks 2 even got its own press event.

iBooks isn't iBook. The two names could co-exist. iBooks could be installed on an iBook reader.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
From my testing, from Jobs's comments, from everything I've seen in the market, it's the form factor that's a problem: no matter who makes it, they'll fail because nobody needs it. Because it doesn't have a reason to live.

While I do think the market for a tweener tablet might be small, I wouldn't go as far as to say *nobody* needs it. Some people obviously have (or think they have) a use for it. In a poll in one of the other threads here at MacRumors, more than half said they would consider buying a smaller iPad. That means there's *some* interest in it, even if it turns out to be a minuscule percentage of the general population, and even if it turns out that most people who buy the 7 tablet find that it's not what they thought it will be. Arguing that the market for a 7" tablet is so small as to be practically non-existent would be reasonable, but when you use absolute terms like "nobody needs it," that just makes things unnecessarily confrontational, IMO.

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 02:59 PM
While I do think the market for a tweener tablet might be small, I wouldn't go as far as to say *nobody* needs it. Some people obviously have (or think they have) a use for it. In a poll in one of the other threads here at MacRumors, more than half said they would consider buying a smaller iPad. That means there's *some* interest in it, even if it turns out to be a minuscule percentage of the general population, and even if it turns out that most people who buy the 7 tablet find that it's not what they thought it will be. Arguing that the market for a 7" tablet is so small as to be practically non-existent would be reasonable, but when you use absolute terms like "nobody needs it," that just makes things unnecessarily confrontational, IMO.

First, polls here are probably representative of geeks. Second, I agree: I don't think there isn't a market for tweeners, but I think it's tiny and a waste of time. Like the Newton: Apple had a bunch of fans writing to them about how much they loved it. But in the end, the market was tiny and nobody needed it.

Night Spring
Jul 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
First, polls here are probably representative of geeks. Second, I agree: I don't think there isn't a market for tweeners, but I think it's tiny and a waste of time. Like the Newton: Apple had a bunch of fans writing to them about how much they loved it. But in the end, the market was tiny and nobody needed it.

You were doing so well... Why can't you just stop at "the market was tiny"? Why do you feel compelled to add the absolute like "nobody needed it"?

freudling
Jul 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
You were doing so well... Why can't you just stop at "the market was tiny"? Why do you feel compelled to add the absolute like "nobody needed it"?

I just mean that a few hundred thousand sales over a course of several years in relation to the world's population... isn't much.

entatlrg
Jul 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think most who buy or settle on a 7" tablet are short changing themselves, the 10" provides a much better user experience. So much so I wish a 7" tablet didn't exist because people will buy due to lower price, a parent can get their kids one each instead of one iPad to share. And then they're missing out on the much better experience of the 10". Yes a 7" tablet is better than nothing I realize, but that's my opinion on the topic.

Steve Jobs was right in what he said about 7" tablets and if Apple comes out with one it will be just to make cash and compete with 7" Androids not because they think it's a great user experience, because it isn't.

My Nexus is going back to Best Buy, small fonts, scrolling up down and sideways and for long hours of use even watching a movie no thanks, I want my iPad.

My thoughts are similar to freudlng's for sure. Don't like it at all.

Stupid google, what where they too scared to come up with a 10" Nexus and compete with the iPad head to head. Yep, instead they come out with a cheaper device that screams poor user experience. It will turn people off tablets. I think its a joke.

I too would much rather use a smart phone, my 4.3" Android phone and my iPhone render text much better and are more enjoyable to use than the Nexus 7 by a big margin.

Jonx
Jul 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm really, really tempted to get one, but I've seen that many receiving defective units, I think I' will just wait a while until all fixed and N7 is readily available.

I think 7" will be perfect for me (iPhone doesn't cut it for me anymore :p), for ebooks, twitter, reddit, forums, web surfing, watching/listening streams, and youtube video's. I heard many iPad owners go for Nexus 7 because iPad is way heavy for prolonged usage.

I also never used an Android before and thats scary and exciting at the same time. :D

ChrisTX
Jul 22, 2012, 12:23 AM
I'm considering one, but I already own an iPad 3, and a TouchPad. The price is great but other than that, I'm not sure that I NEED one.

zephyrnoid
Jul 23, 2012, 07:31 AM
Not wishing to sound mean or smart arse but there are a few of us that are actual human factors pros that need a 7" (+ or -) tablet for the advantages of that form factor. The tablets of the future will be fuller in convergence. Tablet computer, camera, remote HD VIDEO monitor and everything that a smart phone is now.
I have NO USE for the current ipad because it will not fit where I want a tablet to fit.
I have NO USE for a smart phone because even though iphone is good, it's not great for typing and I must be able to type faster than 1 word per minute ;)
I have NO USE for a $500 tablet that will not interface with my HD video output devices (I already own two HD field monitors)

maflynn
Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm holding out for the hope that apple will produce a smaller iPad. The nexus is looks good but for the most part I think for my needs a 7" iPad would be better. If apple opts not to go that route, well then I'd say the Nexus may very well be in my near future.

Night Spring
Jul 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have NO USE for a smart phone because even though iphone is good, it's not great for typing and I must be able to type faster than 1 word per minute ;)
I have NO USE for a $500 tablet that will not interface with my HD video output devices (I already own two HD field monitors)[/B]

Typing, I think, is a matter of practice. I've seen people typing away at quite fast speeds on iPhones. And I'm not sure how one would type on a 7" tablet -- I believe the keyboard would be too small to touch type in either orientation. So I'm guessing most people would end up doing some variation of thumb-typing or finger pecking, which might be easier to do with larger keys on a 7" tablet than on 3.5-4 phones, but will still require some practice to get up to speed.

HD output -- iPad has HDMI output. If your monitors don't accept HDMI input, I'm not sure any other company is going to make tablets that offer any better connectivity.

Lindenhurst
Jul 25, 2012, 01:53 PM
I think most who buy or settle on a 7" tablet are short changing themselves, the 10" provides a much better user experience. So much so I wish a 7" tablet didn't exist because people will buy due to lower price, a parent can get their kids one each instead of one iPad to share. And then they're missing out on the much better experience of the 10". Yes a 7" tablet is better than nothing I realize, but that's my opinion on the topic.

Steve Jobs was right in what he said about 7" tablets and if Apple comes out with one it will be just to make cash and compete with 7" Androids not because they think it's a great user experience, because it isn't.

My Nexus is going back to Best Buy, small fonts, scrolling up down and sideways and for long hours of use even watching a movie no thanks, I want my iPad.

Stupid google, what where they too scared to come up with a 10" Nexus and compete with the iPad head to head. Yep, instead they come out with a cheaper device that screams poor user experience. It will turn people off tablets. I think its a joke.

I too would much rather use a smart phone, my 4.3" Android phone and my iPhone render text much better and are more enjoyable to use than the Nexus 7 by a big margin.

After a week with mine, I just arranged a return. It is a nice device, and mine didn't have any issues other than light flickering at low levels, but I got tired of the constant zooming and scrolling to see pages I see on my iPad without doing so. I also have a Galaxy Note phone, and I honestly would rather use it for browsing over the Nexus 7. I guess I just don't haver the need for a device in-between my galaxy Note and my iPad, not to mention my Macbook and Imac27. Too may devices. With that said...the Nexus 7 is a superb device for $200, and if I didn't already have a large screen cell phone, I might have decided to keep it. For someone who does not have an iPad or a larger screen phone, it may fill the void. Ok...I just ate crow after touting this as the greatest thing since sliced bread and disagreeing with freudling in my earlier post. Sir...you were right!

zephyrnoid
Aug 1, 2012, 10:10 AM
Typing, I think, is a matter of practice. I've seen people typing away at quite fast speeds on iPhones. And I'm not sure how one would type on a 7" tablet -- I believe the keyboard would be too small to touch type in either orientation. So I'm guessing most people would end up doing some variation of thumb-typing or finger pecking, which might be easier to do with larger keys on a 7" tablet than on 3.5-4 phones, but will still require some practice to get up to speed.

HD output -- iPad has HDMI output. If your monitors don't accept HDMI input, I'm not sure any other company is going to make tablets that offer any better connectivity.
Not sure about your logic. You suggest that it's harder to type accurately on a 7" screen than on a 3" screen ?????
Further. when I refer to interface I mean I/O not just 'OUT'. And I really mean wirelessly.

Night Spring
Aug 1, 2012, 11:12 AM
Not sure about your logic. You suggest that it's harder to type accurately on a 7" screen than on a 3" screen ?????

That's not what I said -- I said "which might be easier to do with larger keys on a 7" tablet than on 3.5-4 phones"

My point was on the iPad, you can touch type in the landscape orientation, but on a 7-8 inch tablet, the keys will probably be too small to touch type comfortably. So people will have to figure out some other way to type on a 7 inch tablet, and I'm not sure if on the average, people will be able to type as fast on a 7 inch as on a smartphone or 9 inch tablet. But at the same time, I think people are adaptable, and I think most people would figure out a way to type at an adequate speed on whatever device they are using.

MxChino
Aug 1, 2012, 04:00 PM

Hmm.. when did best buy start selling the nexus 7? As of right now they don't.

cynics
Aug 1, 2012, 04:52 PM

This is a strange post from beginning to end.

First Apple doesn't have a 10" tablet at all...

Secondly Google has a 10.1 tablet. Its the Xoom and it was technically better then its competition at the time (iPad 2) in nearly every way. Bigger screen with a HIGHER PPI, LTE, better cameras front and rear, stereo speakers, more RAM, expandable memory for 96gig, corning brand gorilla glass, dual LED camera flash, HDMI and USB out, did I mention LTE, etc etc. And yes it has Jelly Bean from Google because its their GED (aka Nexus).

Third and most importantly no one is settling. No one is saying "Damn I wish I could have afforded the full size tablet!". Its for people like me that want a lighter tab for reading in bed and watching movies on long flight without having a full size TV keeping the person next too you up. I have an iPad 2 and a Xoom and their weight and size can be very annoying. I've been reading post since the iPad 1 of people saying they wish there was a smaller version for a more enjoyable reading/multimedia device.

Honestly I don't think you've ever owned a tablet. I don't see the Nexus 7 at Best Buy. You've never seen the constant Apple loyal customers wishing for a smaller tablet. You didn't know the iPad isn't 10". You didn't know Google had a Nexus tablet over a year ago. I mean come on...

I'm still holding out to see what apple comes up with but I'm considering the Nexus 7.

zephyrnoid
Aug 4, 2012, 06:46 PM
We know there is no 10" ipad, it's just a generalization of the size.
Let's all keep in mind that form-factor-wise, a 7" tablet is really a 7" screen PLUS surround, so there is no such thing s a 7" tablet either, only tablets with 7" screens. I too am holding out for an iPadMini tablet with 7" screen because it will be more private, lighter and allow me to do things that the current ipad2 cannot. It will be silly if it does not have a removable media port and at least one camera. Nexus 7 will be on my Christmas list if iPad Mini does not show by November of 2012. I'm pretty tired of waiting years for Apple to offer the obvious. BTW. I don't like phones so Wifi is plenty of connectivity for me.

SurferMan
Aug 4, 2012, 07:15 PM
I really liked the Nexus 7, fast, excellent build quality, screen is very nice, but can't get over non-expandable memory/no micro-sd. It's such a perfect device except for that one issue imo. I even used the fiance's Kindle Fire more than my iPad2 before selling it, even though the iPad2 was obviously better, just b/c it was so easy to kick back with, it was like holding and using a bigger phone or even iPod Touch. So have been waiting for a nice 7" tablet.

I know Google is focusing on their cloud user base just like Apple is, but the memory isn't enough to not care about being mainly cloud based. Like if it were 16 or even 8GB base but at least offering micro-sd slot for an extra 32GB etc. I'm sure other 7" tablets will be out this year that will be just as nice with expandable memory.

David Menzel
Aug 5, 2012, 03:23 PM
I had the Nexus 7 and tried to use it for one week. It is a nice device and as other members already wrote the screen is ok, some apps are really good but it could not replace any of my iOS devices. A lot of apps are only optimized for smartphones and looking not very nice on 7 inch tablet (even iPhone apps on an iPad looking better). I missed a lot of Apple services like iMessage for example which a lot of my friends are using. Another point is the UI. Yes widgets are nice but the entire design of Googles apps and Android is not that polished like iOS or OSX. Apple has a passionate about every detail and for me that is very important. I love to discover things and like to see wonderful graphics. Android does not offer that experience for me. I have just sold the Nexus 7 again and look forward to get my hands on a iPad mini/nano or whatever its name will be.

cynics
Aug 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
I had the Nexus 7 and tried to use it for one week. It is a nice device and as other members already wrote the screen is ok, some apps are really good but it could not replace any of my iOS devices. A lot of apps are only optimized for smartphones and looking not very nice on 7 inch tablet (even iPhone apps on an iPad looking better). I missed a lot of Apple services like iMessage for example which a lot of my friends are using. Another point is the UI. Yes widgets are nice but the entire design of Googles apps and Android is not that polished like iOS or OSX. Apple has a passionate about every detail and for me that is very important. I love to discover things and like to see wonderful graphics. Android does not offer that experience for me. I have just sold the Nexus 7 again and look forward to get my hands on a iPad mini/nano or whatever its name will be.

Good honest review...

I am curious though. You say you like to discover things an Android doesn't offer that experience meaning iOS does? I feel the exact opposite. I find iOS to be a bit locked down so you experience the entire OS in about a week. Where as I continue to discover things with Android, like emulators, wireless streaming to PlayStation 3 or Xbox, USB hosting (mouse cursor pops up on screen when you plug one in, game controllers work etc), quality remote desktop over 3g, flash player for whoever still wants to use it (porn), etc....

Just my opinion but me discovering something in iOS is few and far between and its usually a work around to do some simple task...

unlinked
Aug 5, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'm holding out for a 7.8" iPad, but I'll consider a Nexus 7 this fall if a smaller iPad doesn't appear. My wife has a Kindle Fire and sometimes the smaller form factor is nice.

The 7.85 inch iPad at 4:3 is going to be 40% bigger than the Kindle. It might end up being too big (or not depending on personal preference).

David Menzel
Aug 6, 2012, 12:12 AM
Good honest review...

I am curious though. You say you like to discover things an Android doesn't offer that experience meaning iOS does? I feel the exact opposite. I find iOS to be a bit locked down so you experience the entire OS in about a week. Where as I continue to discover things with Android, like emulators, wireless streaming to PlayStation 3 or Xbox, USB hosting (mouse cursor pops up on screen when you plug one in, game controllers work etc), quality remote desktop over 3g, flash player for whoever still wants to use it (porn), etc....

Just my opinion but me discovering something in iOS is few and far between and its usually a work around to do some simple task...

The number of functions like you wrote is out of the question and of course a big advantage of Android but I did not mean this. Apple always started with the basics and tried to provide this functionalities in a very intuitive way so that everyone out there can use it. Android has a lot to offer but I found it very difficult to use and find all this options and functionalities.

What I meant with discovering was the Apple's UI. Apple designs every little piece of software like (iOS 6) the effect of the buttons in Music when you turn the volume up and down, the animation to refresh in mail, the design of the icons with the paper plane in mail (drafts: unfolded, sent: folded), the design of apps like reminders or notes. I know, a lot of people will say who cares about that, but for me it is very important and that is what Android can not offer. I like to see this kind of details, the passion for design.

zephyrnoid
Aug 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Although Steve Jobs had publicly dismissed the idea of a 7-inch iPad -- even going so far as to call the form factor "DOA" -- an email from Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services to CEO Tim Cook in January 2011 reveals Jobs was actually "very receptive" to the idea.

I sure hope they've been working hard on it as I predict that 7" screen tablets will be the ball to run with over the next 10 years. or until eyewear comes close ;)

SurferMan
Aug 25, 2012, 12:37 PM

I too would much rather use a smart phone, my 4.3" Android phone and my iPhone render text much better and are more enjoyable to use than the Nexus 7 by a big margin.Depends on your use. I had an iPad2 and just barely used it. I found myself going for the 13" more whether relaxing on the couch or on a plane/trip etc. Whereas I actually found myself enjoying my fiances Kindle Fire more b/c at 7" you could perfectly hold it like it was a bigger phone and have no problem typing or browsing, whatever, comfortably. With the iPad can't really do that unless all your fingers are like 10 inches lol. iPad2 was still the better machine easily, but the KF was very nice to hold and use.

So guess just depends on your use. I'm waiting to see what others come out with for 7" tablets though. Even the KF 2 which is rumored to be getting some nice upgrades, and hope they still have that top notch build quality and rubber coating that made it so nice (quite a few other tablets felt flimsy in comparison). I'd pry get it but only if it can be rooted and flashed so it could run a nice ICS or JB rom with market access vs Amazons OS, you could in the beginning with the KF but then it became a pain in the ass and not sure if you can now or not.

CandieB
Aug 25, 2012, 12:56 PM

If I had the choice of the iPad (which I have) and the new smaller mini for the same price I would choose the smaller version because if fits my lifestyle and needs. I enjoy my current iPad but it is a little to large for it to be as portable as I need. I for one am thrilled that Apple is considering the smaller iPad. I use an inferior device (in my opinion) now because of it's size alone, but will be gladly shelving if, the mini is indeed released soon.

xraydoc
Aug 27, 2012, 08:14 PM
If I had the choice of the iPad (which I have) and the new smaller mini for the same price I would choose the smaller version because if fits my lifestyle and needs. I enjoy my current iPad but it is a little to large for it to be as portable as I need. I for one am thrilled that Apple is considering the smaller iPad. I use an inferior device (in my opinion) now because of it's size alone, but will be gladly shelving if, the mini is indeed released soon.

While I'd not pay the same for a smaller iPad, I'm really looking forward to it. I bought a Nexus 7 on impulse at Staples a week ago and I've been very happy. Slightly larger, and running iOS, and it would be perfect (i.e., the predicted iPad mini).

Wrathwitch
Aug 28, 2012, 05:04 AM

Why doesn't Apple go bigger than a 3.5" screen? Because it gets too hard to one handed use the device. This can't be understated.

REmember when every indication was that a touchscreen phone device would fail? Every indication that a tablet would fail?

Basically if Apple put out a coil of poo and called it the iPoo. Everyone would eat it right up.

There has been more than enough interest in the 7" form factor on these forums to offer some doubt to your expertise. As well as enough consumers purchasing 7" devices on the market.

Steve was not right all of the time. I suspect that you may fall into the same hubris trap.

phillytim
Aug 28, 2012, 06:48 AM
All you need to do is go to your local Apple/Walmart/etc. and pick up a back-protective cover that is rubbery/grippy. Some are pretty darn inexpensive. My niece has one on her iPad for like $5.

You can't expect a device to come with absolutely every single thing you'd want. There are some people who would moan and complain if the iPad backing were similar to the Nexus 7 backing.

----------

Steve Jobs has also been known to have been persuaded on a great many things! Although Steve Jobs had publicly dismissed the idea of a 7-inch iPad -- even going so far as to call the form factor "DOA" -- an email from Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services to CEO Tim Cook in January 2011 reveals Jobs was actually "very receptive" to the idea.

I sure hope they've been working hard on it as I predict that 7" screen tablets will be the ball to run with over the next 10 years. or until eyewear comes close ;)