Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndoe123abc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
According to Apple's website, you will receive notifications from the Mac App Store (via Notification Center) when updates are available. Yet I see no section for Mac App Store in Notifications Pref pane, and do not receive notifications when updates are available.

Does anyone have any explanation for this?

See "Notification Center" section here: https://developer.apple.com/technologies/mountain-lion/

EDIT: Maybe it's only after the updates have been downloaded and are ready to install? See system update pref pane.

Last edited:

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Mac App Store notifications
The Mac App Store notifies you when updates are available for OS X or purchased apps.

No.

Automatic download of app updates
The Mac App Store automatically downloads app updates and OS X software updates so they’re ready to be installed.

Also no.

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
I think we aren't both right ;-)

Found just this ;)

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 150

johndoe123abc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Did you get that notification before the update had downloaded? Was it for a purchased app or a system update?

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Doesn't know. Just found this screenshot in the Internet.
This screenshot is from the Gold Master build

johndoe123abc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Interesting. No App Store preferences in Notification Center, so I can't see a way to disable it, aside from within software update pref pane, which I have set to inform me.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
On the apple videos showing how Ml is working. Apple does show how the mac store will notify you about new updates, and will auto update as well.

So i think we are missing something here.

johndoe123abc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
On the apple videos showing how Ml is working. Apple does show how the mac store will notify you about new updates, and will auto update as well.

So i think we are missing something here.

Have you got a link to the video in question?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
There are Software Update settings in System Preferences. There is an option to auto-download updates and Notify you when they are ready to install. I believe that is what the post above is (except in German!)

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
There are Software Update settings in System Preferences. There is an option to auto-download updates and Notify you when they are ready to install. I believe that is what the post above is (except in German!)

Yes, you are right. This seems to be the setting to en/disable the notifications.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Rest assured we will be bombarded with "Important Notifications".

Ability to turn them off, or disable them?

Oh please, you've got to be kidding.

After they've created them, they're not about to let them go to waste :D

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
I also don't get notifications. Oke to be clear, notifications appear when I open the Mac App Store application.
Same is with all other applications like mail ect ect. Alarm, reminders, calendar do appear.
It kinda bugs me for mail and store. Dont see the point of notifications if i need to have all these apps opened all time. Then i see it either way.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I was getting OS updates without MAS open in DP4... It would just tell me an update is available. When I opened MAS it hadn't downloaded it yet or anything.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I also don't get notifications. Oke to be clear, notifications appear when I open the Mac App Store application.
Same is with all other applications like mail ect ect. Alarm, reminders, calendar do appear.
It kinda bugs me for mail and store. Dont see the point of notifications if i need to have all these apps opened all time. Then i see it either way.

+1. Personally I think this is only really effective and useful is if you're expecting something, say in mail, and it allows you to quickly access it but if you're a casual user, notifications doesn't really help if you need to have the app open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.