PDA

View Full Version : Taller 'iPhone 5' Cases Begin to Appear for Sale

MacRumors
Jul 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/18/taller-iphone-5-cases-begin-to-appear-for-sale/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/tall.jpg

Smaller bottom dock, and headphone jack
Cydia Blog (http://cydiablog.com/new-iphone-5-tpu-case-6th-generation/) notes the appearance of "iPhone 5" cases from TVC-Mall (http://www.**************/details/S-Shape-TPU-Gel-Case-Cover-for-iPhone-5-Black-IPHONE5-601A/) that correspond to circulating rumors about the next generation iPhone.

The case design lines up with the many part leaks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/claimed-rear-shell-with-sides-for-next-generation-iphone-surfaces/) and schematics (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/) that have been floating around for the past several months.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/IPHONE5-601B-2.jpg

The appearance of case designs shouldn't be that surprising given the numerous leaks we've already seen. The cases, however, do represent some small level of confidence by Chinese manufacturers that the next generation iPhone will match the circulating rumors. This includes a slightly taller/thinner design with a smaller bottom dock connector and a bottom-placed headphone jack.

The next generation iPhone is already said to be in production (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/) for an expected fall launch.

Article Link: Taller 'iPhone 5' Cases Begin to Appear for Sale (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/18/taller-iphone-5-cases-begin-to-appear-for-sale/)

ahbdesign
Jul 18, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hope these cases actually sell in September/October! That would mean that there is a new taller/bigger iPhone! :o

applesith
Jul 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
hmmmm...have we done this before?

Small White Car
Jul 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Taken as a group, these case makers tend to be right more accurately than the reporters and analysts. If you start seeing any other companies doing this, consider it confirmed.

FSMBP
Jul 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
I do believe the next iPhone will look like the leaked prototypes, but it's never best to believe third-party case leaks:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/case-mate-preps-for-release-of-iphone-5-cases-with-revamped-design/

Mad-B-One
Jul 18, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think that they are just producing it for publicity. Even if this design is right, there would be enough time to produce it when they can have more confidence because the amount of leaked parts is big enough - like when the first guts of the 4S appeared. This way though, the company is named in news and rumors and that is worth a lot of money as well.

MacDawg
Taken as a group, these case makers tend to be right more accurately than the reporters and analysts. If you start seeing any other companies doing this, consider it confirmed.

Except the case makers were dead wrong about the iPhone last year

Buckeyestar
I seem to remember lots of cases being made last year for a design that never came to be. I'd love it if this were the case (no pun intended) again this year. I'm no a fan of simply stretching the current design a bit in one direction, and the two tone back doesn't look great either.

nefan65
Jul 18, 2012, 08:17 AM
There were 2 large case makers in China that made the tear drop cases for the "Proposed" 4s a year ago. I guess they ended up just melting them down for traffic cones...?

I'll believe what the new iPhone looks like when Apple announces it.

sulpfiction
Jul 18, 2012, 08:18 AM

Except for last year when even casemate was producing cases that were dead wrong.

Edit: I guess I should read all the posts before being redundant.

basesloaded190
Jul 18, 2012, 08:19 AM

This. Everyone made cases based on a tapered very thin design that looked nothing like the 4.

aaalexxx
Jul 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
The case design lines up with the many part leaks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/claimed-rear-shell-with-sides-for-next-generation-iphone-surfaces/) and schematics (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/) that have been floating around for the past several months.
Of course they line up. That's the way these case designs work. Reminds me of the chicken/egg dilemma :)

Nozuka
Please let the new Power/Dock connector be some kind of magnetic MagSafe thing!

DrJohnnyN
Will be an engineering marvel.

iproductsuser
Jul 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
I don't understand the magsafe obsession. The phone doesn't weigh enough for that concept to even work. If you kick the cord, your phone will go flying even if it's magsafe.

Stetrain
Jul 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
I don't understand the magsafe obsession. The phone doesn't weigh enough for that concept to even work. If you kick the cord, your phone will go flying even if it's magsafe.

It wouldn't be really useful for safety of the phone, but imagine how nice the docking experience would be if it magnetically attached.

KindredMAC
Jul 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
What I really hope for is an adapter for the new dock connector from Apple on DAY ONE so that I can keep using my Belkin auto charger dock in my car.

Nozuka
Jul 18, 2012, 08:26 AM

It's not even about that. Its just much easier to attach than any micro/miniUSB or IPOD Connector. No need to look for the right direction or the hole to put it in (thats what she said), you just bring it close enough for it to attach by itself.

Since i do that every night (and i often do it in the dark after jumping into my bed), it would just be a nice thing to have.

bharatgupta
Jul 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
i think the next iphone will have color display and a touch screen!

eternlgladiator
Jul 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
Where are the volume button spots? This case is stupid.

bookwrath
Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
I do believe the next iPhone will look like the leaked prototypes, but it's never best to believe third-party case leaks:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/case-mate-preps-for-release-of-iphone-5-cases-with-revamped-design/

I wasn't crazy about it at the time but I would much rather this be the 6th gen design. The current rumored design is pretty bad. With the two-tone back and being stretched vertically, it's a step back from the 4/4s.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't mind if the rumours were correct; the taller design has been growing on me as of late. I'm still not sold with the materials on the backing, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see about that.

Sylon
Jul 18, 2012, 08:31 AM

Exactly. So many people started making those teardrop cases just to look like morons when the 4S launched. Which, I found hilarious, lol.

I WAS the one
Jul 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
I don't know what's going on with Apple... It seems the same form factor and design will be on the iPhone 5 or whatever they'll calling it.

Stewie86
Aww man. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 and 4S design is great. But after 2 years, I'm used to the usual design upgrade, not just taller. I sure hope Apple is fooling us into thinking this is the design and come up with the actual design at the event. =\

Taipan
The long form factor still doesn't look good to me...

arn
Jul 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
Of course they line up. That's the way these case designs work. Reminds me of the chicken/egg dilemma :)

Except for last year when even casemate was producing cases that were dead wrong.

Edit: I guess I should read all the posts before being redundant.

There were no part leaks for those teardrop cases last year.

arn

nickgri
Jul 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
I wish they would finally design a watch that unfolds to this size (swivels too) so the phone can be on my wrist instead of in my pocket and I don't need to find or retrieve it. Put a detachable earpiece / mic along its edge. Why is this so difficult for Apple who has like a million great designers and technicians?
Management?

ugahairydawgs
Jul 18, 2012, 08:35 AM
I still say I'm not buying that design being accurate based solely on the fact that Apple doesn't seem to be doing anything to get the leaked images and such taken down. At the very least this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoqiPzij26Y&feature=player_embedded) would be gone if it were in the ballpark of what the finished product looked like.

The fact that they have done nothing to squash the "leaks" makes me think they may not be close to what the final product looks like.

Mad-B-One
Jul 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
...so if this design is off, is the material re-modable? I bet so. On a second look, the connector hole seems a little bit big. I can understand that the headphone jack is bigger to allow extra room for the headphone but it should get snug around the original iPhone charger in my opinion. So, my bet is either waiting for the official design in Fall or not going with any cover at all. The latter was my choice the last 1.5 years (even longer counting the non-iPhones) because in the end, a cell phone is a comodity I tend to replace withing 2 years or less. I'm not going to hide the inteded design under ugly rubber. Now, if I would be working some physical labor job - e.g. mechanic or oild field - that would be different, but I'm not. Hence: iPhone, yes you can show off when leaving my pocket! :cool:

Undecided
Jul 18, 2012, 08:40 AM
The taller format makes it impossible to grip lengthwise using your thumb and middle finger, like I'm doing now to read through the postings.

grimmace
Jul 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
Apple needs to widen the phone as well.. not just stretch it.

bigjnyc
Jul 18, 2012, 08:44 AM

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. jonathan Ive would never do something like that :D

Dekard
Jul 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
seems like a weird choice to have the earphone on the bottom of the phone.. seems like it's one of the worst placements it could possibly be.. sure you can turn the phone upside down and the screen orientation will change but not if it's charging.. and you want to wear headphones.. or on a dock..

Mad-B-One
Jul 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
There were no part leaks for those teardrop cases last year.

arn

Yea, I think that hinted towards the blueprint. Blueprints are needed for care design as well, and then get cited to argue the case design aught to be right. Also, since Tim Cook told they are stepping up on security, there is still a chance that when more parts leak, we will have a big "OH!" and "AH!" event where the form factor is different from what we know now. My safest guess will be leaks from software - either codes giving away pixel dimensions or early included and trusted by Apple App developers. In other words, if we see screen shot leaks from e.g. Angry Birds in new dimensions, I'm in on it.

PS: Thanks for deleting the name arguments. They are so balony.

shortenjam88
Jul 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
If the leaks of the phone design prove true come this fall, I will be very disappointed. Do I like the supposed design, yeah, it's not the best but it will certainly be an upgrade. My reasoning lies in the realm of Cook's proposed "double down on secrecy" statement during his AllThingsD conference. Basically all I'm saying is I hope Apple still has something truly amazing and magical coming soon and these cases and phone mockups are a controlled leak.

On a side note, everyone thought the teardrop design was a given for the 4s, but I never bought into it. Yes, things can change at any time with Cupertino but the immediate successor to all new designs (3GS) (4S) are for the most part just hardware upgrades.

But, no one knows for sure, Apple can do anything, and in this respect the iPhone is still a very new product to try and gauge if history does in fact repeat itself.

phpmaven
Jul 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Well, its looking more and more like those rumors are true. It's hard to believe that Apple is actually going forward with this bonehead idea of making the phone taller and not wider, but there it is.

sillypooh
Jul 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
W-H-O C-A-R-E-S?

Fabricating cases costs little. Those manufacturers don't really care if they get it 100% right. So why are we relying so much on what they think will come out? This used to be MacRumors, not iPhoneCaseRumors.

pink thing
Jul 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Brilliant :D

iWe
Jul 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
Oh holy Gods of electronic gadgets, let this be true! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-058.gif

eternlgladiator
Jul 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
The taller format makes it impossible to grip lengthwise using your thumb and middle finger, like I'm doing now to read through the postings.

how small are your hands that you can hold an iphone 4 like that but a centimeter larger phone wouldn't fit?

kalsta
Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Well, its looking more and more like those rumors are true. It's hard to believe that Apple is actually going forward with this bonehead idea of making the phone taller and not wider, but there it is.

Not everyone agrees with you that it's a bonehead idea. As a phone, a longer, thinner form works well—since a wider device becomes more difficult to hold in one hand (especially for people with small hands!), and there is quite a distance from your mouth to your ear (especially for people with big heads!) Let's remember that the iPhone is still a phone.

As for how Apple handles the long screen for apps—I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

What I don't like about the leaked images is the two-toned back. To me it just looks kind of dated already. But if it's durable, and offers great reception, I will forgive them for the ordinary aesthetics.

FSMBP
Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
seems like a weird choice to have the earphone on the bottom of the phone.. seems like it's one of the worst placements it could possibly be.. sure you can turn the phone upside down and the screen orientation will change but not if it's charging.. and you want to wear headphones.. or on a dock..

That is one down-side to it. It may be to rare to dock it and listen via headphones though.

When you put the iPhone in pants pocket, it makes sense to put it upside-down, with the screen facing inwards (that way your iPhone is right-side-up when pulling it out). Currently, it is awkward when using headphones - the new iPhone will fix that. Also, all cables and major openings will come up one side of the iPhone too.

tekno
Jul 18, 2012, 09:09 AM

I don't know. Have we?

ri0ku
Jul 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
Where are the volume button spots? This case is stupid.

No, you just need eyes. You can clearly see theres a grooved out area where both volume control buttons are giving the impression that they can be pressed easier than the tougher areas of the case.

Not all cases have 2 separate button pop outs for the vol controls...

diddl14
Jul 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
It became relatively silent around the rumor that Apple would change the screens aspect ratio with the next iPhone.

With no trace of it yet in iOS6, is that still an expected feature?

Hard to imagine how Apple pulls that off without giving developers at least a couple months lead time to adopt their apps?

Intarweb
Jul 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
That is one down-side to it. It may be to rare to dock it and listen via headphones though.

When you put the iPhone in pants pocket, it makes sense to put it upside-down, with the screen facing inwards (that way your iPhone is right-side-up when pulling it out). Currently, it is awkward when using headphones - the new iPhone will fix that. Also, all cables and major openings will come up one side of the iPhone too.

I never understood the people that like the headphone jack on top. Not only does it get in the way but it puts stress on the cable connector and the cable head itself. Having on the bottom makes absolute sense and it should have been that way from the get go.

uptherighttree
Jul 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
Where are the volume button spots?

that caught my eye too. Has the rumor mill ever got it right with case leaks?

motorazr
Jul 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
... could we please stop calling it 'iPhone 5' .. ?!

it's iOS6 and it's the 6th iPhone. Seriously ... the concept of jumping from 4s to 6 is too hard for people ...

kalsta
Jul 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hard to imagine how Apple pulls that off without giving developers at least a couple months lead time to adopt their apps?

I'm not convinced we're going to see the ratio of most apps change. Widescreen movies I can see using the entire screen. For most apps though, maybe Apple has some UI surprises up its sleeve. App switching? Persistent Dock? Notifications that don't cover up part of the app? Something else entirely? Who knows.

TimTheEnchanter
Jul 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
I don't know what's going on with Apple... It seems the same form factor and design will be on the iPhone 5 or whatever they'll calling it.

If the iPad naming is an indicator..... say hello to the new iPhone

D-Dave
Jul 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
It's not even about that. Its just much easier to attach than any micro/miniUSB or IPOD Connector. No need to look for the right direction or the hole to put it in (thats what she said), you just bring it close enough for it to attach by itself.

Since i do that every night (and i often do it in the dark after jumping into my bed), it would just be a nice thing to have.

Maybe you should try it with the lights on...much more pleasant experience :D

Nightarchaon
Jul 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
I still dont see the dock connector changing, we would have heard more leaks on this from all the Hifi/Speaker dock/bedside clock makers who would be ramping up production of new items to sell to early adopters.

x-evil-x
Jul 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
It became relatively silent around the rumor that Apple would change the screens aspect ratio with the next iPhone.

if you have seen what they did with the 3gs-4(retina upgrade) and iPad 2-3(retina upgrade) you will notice they gave developers no HEADS UP on the change...
So no they probably won't include it in some way in ios6 betas

kalsta
Jul 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
I still dont see the dock connector changing, we would have heard more leaks on this from all the Hifi/Speaker dock/bedside clock makers who would be ramping up production of new items to sell to early adopters.

It's one thing to churn out some plastic cases based on rumours and leaked parts… It's quite another to start producing hi-fi speaker systems and the like. (Actually, it's impossible without Apple's blessing and release of the connector specs.)

Intarweb
Jul 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
... could we please stop calling it 'iPhone 5' .. ?!

it's iOS6 and it's the 6th iPhone. Seriously ... the concept of jumping from 4s to 6 is too hard for people ...

iOS5 is out but there's no iPhone5. Your argument is invalid. Please try again at your earliest convenience.

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
if it doesn't have a tapered back i'll be sticking with the 4.

ADMProducer
Jul 18, 2012, 09:41 AM

No. They got it wrong last year.

And the year before there weren't any 3rd party cases available on launch day.

SpectatorHere
Jul 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
if you have seen what they did with the 3gs-4(retina upgrade) and iPad 2-3(retina upgrade) you will notice they gave developers no HEADS UP on the change...
So no they probably won't include it in some way in ios6 betas

Those were simple doubling of resolution done so that existing apps wouldn't break. This would be a change in both resolution and aspect ratio. Apple could use black bars to avoid breaking apps, but if a developer wanted his to look good he'd have to port to the new aspect. Why would Apple wan to intro a new aspect when simplicity of app design is stressed so much?

BTW, MacRumors, how do figure a case does anything to aid credibility? We know these guys DO NOT HAVE INSIDE INFO. We know this because they failed last year. These make previous leaks less credible as they show how eager manufacturers are to produce guesses.

Show me a working phone, or get Walt Mossberg confirm before I'll believe. This long phone is a dumb idea that still has very dubious evidence going for it.

shartypants
Jul 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Who buys a case before the phone is out??

motorazr
Jul 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
iOS5 is out but there's no iPhone5. Your argument is invalid. Please try again at your earliest convenience.

I disagree. iOS6 is well on its way to be released, and the 5th generation iPhone is called the iPhone 4s. The iPhone 4 was the 4th generation iPhone. The 3G was not the 3rd generation (which still confuses people I know ......), but rather referred to the 3G wireless used.

the iPhone 4 also was the first to use the A4 processor. The iPhone 4s uses the A5.

It would make no sense to call it iPhone 5. It's not introducing iOS5, it's not the 5th generation, it doesn't have 5G wireless, etc.

Fazer100
Jul 18, 2012, 10:40 AM

Only the companies that had the band round the volume and mic buttons had issues, smart companies use a full cut out style tooling and this was fine for the IP4S :-)

Wiesenlooser
Jul 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
Dear case makers,

I'm still waiting for my iphone mini.

Nightarchaon
Jul 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
Dear case makers,

I'm still waiting for my iphone mini.

Would that not be the iPhone nano ? if the "new" iPhone is bigger than the current gen, then the current gen becomes the mini doesn't it ?

I still think the rumored iPad 7" is really the iPhone 5 :D

wgnoyes
Jul 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Okay, so I guess they didn't learn from the iPhone 4S last year, and a whole lot of companies ARE going to get burned on creating cases for a design that will turn out so differently as to make their products useless.

Ajones330
Jul 18, 2012, 11:09 AM

Seriously...:rolleyes:

yesnek
Jul 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
oh dear. not again :eek:

MacDawg
Jul 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
Only the companies that had the band round the volume and mic buttons had issues, smart companies use a full cut out style tooling and this was fine for the IP4S :-)

Not the ones that made the teardrop cases, which is what I was referring to

SockRolid
Jul 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
I wonder if these are the same guys who made those cases for last year's teardrop iPhone (mockup.) :)

Undecided
Jul 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
how small are your hands that you can hold an iphone 4 like that but a centimeter larger phone wouldn't fit?

Dude, I'm the BK tiny hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM) actor. Have a little compassion, ya know?

imageWIS
Jul 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't know which one I hate more: the idea of a taller and at the same time not wider phone OR having the 3.5 headphone jack located at the bottom of the phone!

Sedrick
Jul 18, 2012, 11:49 AM

I'm not convinced we're going to see the ratio of most apps change. Widescreen movies I can see using the entire screen. For most apps though, maybe Apple has some UI surprises up its sleeve. App switching? Persistent Dock? Notifications that don't cover up part of the app? Something else entirely? Who knows.

I've been starting to suspect something like this. The extra screen height won't affect apps at all. It will be a band on the top that will hold notifications and iAds. Maybe touch sensitive as well.

If this is true, it will be even more of a let down than it already is. Nothing like having a 4" screen when only 3.5" of it is usable.

Navdakilla
Jul 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Will be an engineering marvel.

It better be.. I'm strongly thinking about switching to android

megahertz
Jul 18, 2012, 12:13 PM
These stupid cases cause permanent imprints in your iPhone, avoid them.

Fresh Pie
Jul 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
I might regret saying this in a couple of months, but those pictures seem to be a great indication that nobody has any real idea what the iPhone 6 is going to look like. Check out how big (tall) the hole for the new dock connector is, and how the speaker hole melds with the hole for the headphone jack. But to be fair, I've always been amazed about how little cases (and the various holes for buttons, sensors, etc.) correspond with the devices they protect.

StyxMaker
Jul 18, 2012, 01:40 PM

The times I've dropped my iPhone have been whin I've forgotten that it's plugged in and pick it up. This usually results in my iPhone having the cord jerked out of the port, and the iPhone being jerked from my hand and landing on the floor. The magsafe connector would prevent this.

Xtremehkr
Jul 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
If you purchase one of these speculative iPhone 5 cases before the iPhone 5 is released, you're going to have a bad time.

mctrees02
Jul 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
It wouldn't be really useful for safety of the phone, but imagine how nice the docking experience would be if it magnetically attached.

Did you actually just say "imagine how nice the docking experience would be..."?

I didn't know that docking my phone was an experience. I always thought it was a 2 second process that I did and moved on with my day...;)

SirHaakon
Jul 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
I love my iPhone and I've upgraded several times (had the original, 3G, and 4). I've been waiting for the next iteration to come out for quite some time, but if the headphone jack is seriously on the bottom the thing could cook me breakfast and I still probably won't be interested in it. Honestly, what a boneheaded design flaw.

EHFink
Jul 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
I love my iPhone and I've upgraded several times (had the original, 3G, and 4). I've been waiting for the next iteration to come out for quite some time, but if the headphone jack is seriously on the bottom the thing could cook me breakfast and I still probably won't be interested in it. Honestly, what a boneheaded design flaw.

I really just don't understand this logic.:confused: Having the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is the way it should be, and the way it should have always been. It's better for the life and duration of the headphones and it also keeps the cord out of the way of the screen..What's the problem?

I can never imagine something so petty being a deal breaker for me, personally, especially when it's actually a beneficial change.

trunten
Jul 18, 2012, 03:27 PM

In your dreams spaceman.

Lancer
Jul 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Didn't this happen last year before the 4s was released, and weren't most of them wrong in the design?

uknowimright
Jul 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
last year the case makers were wrong but there were no part leaks, this year there are part leaks that fit the case designs, so it's more plausible this design is the real deal

if so zzzzzz

charlesdayton
Jul 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
Same crap as last year "iphone 5" (4S) cases:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/27/photos-of-purported-iphone-5-case-based-on-latest-design-claims-surface/

And please stop calling it 5. No one knows the name yet. you guys called the 4S 5 too.

ixodes
Jul 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Oh how boring...

This phone is so ugly, it makes me wonder if J. Ive quit :eek:

----------

I disagree. iOS6 is well on its way to be released, and the 5th generation iPhone is called the iPhone 4s. The iPhone 4 was the 4th generation iPhone. The 3G was not the 3rd generation (which still confuses people I know ......), but rather referred to the 3G wireless used.

the iPhone 4 also was the first to use the A4 processor. The iPhone 4s uses the A5.

It would make no sense to call it iPhone 5. It's not introducing iOS5, it's not the 5th generation, it doesn't have 5G wireless, etc.
The following may surprise some users here.

Rumors posted today, have the name pegged at iPhone 4.0AS

iPhone "4.0" as in 4" display
A as in Apple
S as in Speedier

I like that it's very specific, meaningful and a bit wacky like the new "look".

www.iphone40AS.com

I WAS the one
Jul 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
The iPad Is the same design a bit heavier, I don't think they are looking to innovate no more. Steve is gone and for some reason I think this team needs someone who push them to the limit. Everyone is happy nowmwith the corporate flow

ann713
Jul 19, 2012, 01:42 AM
So this thing is really just gonna be taller? :confused:

MaxHedrm
Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
The cases, however, do represent some small level of confidence by Chinese manufacturers that the next generation iPhone will match the circulating rumors.

Like their confidence is worth anything? 1st, these are just renderings to tease actual vendors into working with the manufacturer for their next gen cases. Manufacturers can do mockups far in advance of any knowledge, especially in this day of digital rendering & 3D printing. 2nd, have you seen some of the cheap ass chinese cases that are out there? As well as they fit phones that are physically on the market I have NO confidence in the manufacturer's product knowledge.

----------

last year the case makers were wrong but there were no part leaks, this year there are part leaks that fit the case designs, so it's more plausible this design is the real deal

if so zzzzzz

I think "part" leaks is a more appropriate statement. I have yet to see an image that's convincing.

carlgo
Jul 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
The long design just looks wrong, but if it is to house the atomic antenna system, then ok.

Wicked1
Jul 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
I say Rubbish, no one ever comes out with a case before the release of the new iPhone only because no one know what it will look like, unless Apple loses another phone :eek:

If all the rumors are true that taller iPhone 4S which everyone is thinking is the new iPhone 5 is ugly, I would prefer something that looks more like an iPod Touch, rather that a taller phone for just 4" :rolleyes:

technicsdj
Jul 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
I remember when all these case companies "claimed" they had the case to the new iPhone. It turned out to be the 4S. No one knows anything. Waste of time.

Dmunjal
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Oh how boring...

This phone is so ugly, it makes me wonder if J. Ive quit :eek:

----------

The following may surprise some users here.

Rumors posted today, have the name pegged at iPhone 4.0AS

iPhone "4.0" as in 4" display
A as in Apple
S as in Speedier

I like that it's very specific, meaningful and a bit wacky like the new "look".

www.iphone40AS.com

How about iPhone 4SL (for long)?

SirHaakon
Jul 23, 2012, 06:42 AM
I really just don't understand this logic.:confused: Having the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is the way it should be, and the way it should have always been. It's better for the life and duration of the headphones and it also keeps the cord out of the way of the screen..What's the problem?

I can never imagine something so petty being a deal breaker for me, personally, especially when it's actually a beneficial change.
The problem is that unless you're a person who listens to music while it's in your pocket and you put it in your pants upside down (??) then it makes no sense whatsoever. Now it will be the wrong orientation when you're just normally looking at the screen, when it's in the car, when you're on a treadmill... every other situation possible. It makes zero sense.