Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assscat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I'm off to university in September and I think that all I will be mainly using the laptop for is word processing (MS Word) and presentations (Keynote).

Considering the usage, is there any compelling reason to get the Powerbook over the iBook?

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I was faced with this decision about 6 months ago, and I decided on the ibook. Oddly enough, when I went to the store to buy my ibook, I walked out with a Powerbook. :confused:

By the time I upgraded the ibook to have BT, 60G's, and I forget what else, the difference was $300. I reasoned that $300 wasn't that big of a difference when I looked at the advantages offered by the PB. I don't know what has happened to this price difference with the ibook upgrade, it might have widened.

I don't want to urge anyone to spend money they don't have on something don't need, but I have found that I use the a few PB features that I never thought I would, and on top of that, if you like to keep up with the latest technology keep in mind that PB's generally have a higher resale value than ibooks.

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
I did the same thing yesterday I went to the store to get an ibook and walked out with a powerbook.... I love it....I just like the look and feel of it I also like the larger faster hard drive

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
davidcb13 said:
I did the same thing yesterday I went to the store to get an ibook and walked out with a powerbook.... I love it....I just like the look and feel of it I also like the larger faster hard drive
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I too have been pondering this question. This is the only thing that has been holding me back from getting the updated iBook, because there is not too much of a difference between it and the old PB.

I dont think there is any question that the PB looks better and is (slightly?) more powerful than the PB, but there is also the question(s) of WiFi and heat. Here, I think the iBook wins. So is the extra $300 justified, or is one better off waiting for an updated PB (also have to keep Student Union in mind)?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Buy my PowerBook... because now that I have my iMac, I don't need such a powerful lappy. ;) Seriously though, I'd hate to feel at a disadvantage; when I got my PB (almost a year before my iMac) it was the only Apple around so I opted for some more power. But now that I have the power in my desktop, I really don't need it in my laptop as well.

quidire

macrumors 6502
I got the PB12 ... twice! (one for me and then 4 months later one for my gf) and we're very happy.

Do you really want a laptop that is not fully compatible with the current OS's bells and whistles? I don't like buying obsolete things...

-RS

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
quidire said:
I got the PB12 ... twice! (one for me and then 4 months later one for my gf) and we're very happy.

Do you really want a laptop that is not fully compatible with the current OS's bells and whistles? I don't like buying obsolete things...

-RS
How is the current iBook incompatible? I thought the only issue was Core Image which w/ the new graphics card, the new iBook does support. :confused:

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
quidire said:

-RS

New ibooks can't run the current OS fully!? :eek:

wrburns

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2005
AcousticDoc said:
New ibooks can't run the current OS fully!? :eek:

What that poster said was FUD. The only possible issue was that the new iBooks might not support Core Image; however, it has been shown that CI apparently does /not/ require 64MB of VRAM, and 32MB will suffice.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
wrburns said:
What that poster said was FUD. The only possible issue was that the new iBooks might not support Core Image; however, it has been shown that CI apparently does /not/ require 64MB of VRAM, and 32MB will suffice.
Ah hah... so I was correct in my thinking... two posts up. :cool:

quidire

macrumors 6502
wrburns said:

Oh. Er my apologies; when Tiger was about to come out, the specs seemed to indicate that CI would not support the chip type of the iBook's graphics adapter. If this is not the case, and CI is supported, well mea culpa.

The rationale for preferring a better graphics subsystem is the amount to which Apple is shifting towards having the graphics chip do OS interface acceleration (compositing etc that would previously have been done by CPU).

Ah I see, the iBook's bump included a graphics chip change. Well I'm wrong, the last three posters are correct :)

Allow me to apologise again about the mistake; it was unintentional. I stand by my recommendation thought; the powerbook is a great buy.

-RS

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
If you need a little more powerful portable computer then go for it. I opted for the ibook because I wanted a good everyday computer me and the wife could take to work/school and my daughter could use to watch movies and what not. I have a couple of really beefie home computers that I don't need to lug around to do all my heavy tasks....errmmm like gaming.

Jack

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
lfielder06 said:
I agree unless you need the 64mb vram, dvi, or superdrive there is no reason to go with the pbook.

The PB also has a faster HDD, audio in, and IMO a better keyboard... These things are making me still favor the PB over the iBooks.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Simple answer to this thread, if you can afford the PB then get it. If you cant then get the Ibook you will be pleased either way. This concludes our broadcast day. :D

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
CaptainCaveMann said:
Simple answer to this thread, if you can afford the PB then get it. If you cant then get the Ibook you will be pleased either way. This concludes our broadcast day. :D

I disagree. IMO, you'd be a fool to go with the powerbook at this point in time!

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
I disagree. IMO, you'd be a fool to go with the powerbook at this point in time!

I don't know about a fool, but just make sure you need the things that the powerbook offers over the ibook. The powerbook isn't so much "power" as it is all the little things that it offers over the ibook. If you ask me it isn't worth the price difference especially with the new ibook updates (i.e. bluetooth, sudden motion sensor, and scrolling trackpad). No matter what you get you will be happy no doubt about that, but wouldn't you rather be happy with a couple extra hundred bucks in you pocket? :D

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
bought an ibook today -- on sale

Well, I've been content with my DVI Tibook 667 (sold my 400 tibook to a friend after a 550cpu Daystar upgrade) until I had to have a hinge repaired and, as it took longer than I thought, I called up my University Apple Store and lo and behold, they had the 14" iBook 1.33 for sale for $799 plus a free iPod or 175 buck rebate.

I jumped. Included with this was a one cent box of Tiger (which I'm not going to install until the 10.4.5 updates...) I got the larger iPod and a griffin italk and case also at discount. Will spend the rebate on three year Apple Care.

Meanwhile, I'd upgraded the tibook to a 7200 harddrive and 1 gig of ram with a superdrive. So my beloved Tibook will now be my desktop computer while the iBook will be my more portable one. Don't forget, Apple designated the powerbooks as "portables" while the iBooks are "laptops". Meaning, I'm not going to risk carrying the tibook around anymore. the top case's plastic frames are prone to cracking and too expensive to fix. I've been scared off the albooks because of bending frames and no heft to the keyboards.

All told I got the larger iPod and a griffin italk and case today also at discount. Will spend the rebate on three year Apple Care. Will upgrade through the store's techs with online purchased memory. They wanted 239 for a 1 gig chip. Cheaper to buy online and have them install for 15 or 30 bucks. My ONLY regret on the iBook is its SLOOOOOW 4200 hard drive. Why does Apple torture us with these slow hds? In order to get a fasterone, I'd lose the discount. So I'll be using that slooow drive for three years, I guess. Oh, and this one only had a combo drive, but so what?

Don't know if that helped with discussion of albooks and ibooks but I still adore the Tibook. Need it for os 9, for sure. Oh, and the 14" iBook is great for students, over ANY pb because you have a full sized screen for each page. Saves on scrolling time, which adds up when you are writing.

bm7at81

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2005
I went into my local apple store today to get a new ibook and indeed walked out with a brand spanking new 12" Powerbook with 768Mb Ram.... holy **** this thing is speedy and possibly the sexiest, most well built laptop ever produced!

Do yourself a favour when you are at the store... check out the condition of the demo ibooks compared to the powerbooks.. the new ibooks that they had on display since wednesday this week were already marked and the trackpad was going brownish from peoples dirty fingers! The PB's which had been on display for 3 weeks (apparently) were in pristine condition...

I know thats not a huge deal, but i cant be the only MAC user who takes a certain pride in the appearance of his/her machine! Also, i got a full 4hr 30mins of almost constant use on my first charge... thats just awesome!!

Oh, and IMHO the 14" Ibook just looked horrendous compared to the 12" PB/Ibook.. Ive never been this happy with a computer purchase.. it wouldnt bother me if a whole new line of PB's came out next month as this one does everything i need it to and more!

P.S Dont judged the screen until you can perform the advanced LCD Colour Correction... made it 200% better to look at! See if they let you do it instore if you have doubts..

I dont want to convince you to spend money you dont have, but i know i would have regreted buying the ibook once i got it home... now im just a happy broke person :)

Cheers

Gmac07

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
yea ive also been debating ibook or powerbook, but the powerbook just fits my needs better. i would love to spend $950 instead of $1399 but if i took that route i would regret it later. i plan on having a nice big lcd to hook up thru DVI so i would have the ultimate portable system with plenty of real estate when doing school projects. if you got the money at this point, (which i barely have ;) ) i say go powerbook, unless your just web surfing and typing papers.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
If all that you'd use your notebook for is what you have stated, I would suggest an iBook. This means that it will be cheaper, so you can upgrade/add to it, so I think this would be the best bet. This is unless you are considering using it for more advanced uses in the near future, which then I'd suggest a powerbook, for that little more power, as there's no ooint buying an iBook now, and then in a few months you realise you want to do more with it.

::20ROGERSC::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.