Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes, I know it's for 'developers only', so if anyone wants to post that kind of pedantic stuff, then you know where the door is.

Since iOS 6 updates OTA, it's easier than with past betas in that we don't need to restore to the latest version. Is anyone on iOS 6 sticking with it and going from OTA to OTA all the way to the final build/GM, or will you try it out for a bit before heading back to 5.1.1 and waiting it out for the final, official release?

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I always install the new beta's to see how the changes affect various API's and such but then I go back. I can't afford to keep dev devices around and it's still a bit buggy to have on my every day phone.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Beta 1 made me go back to iOS 5. WAY to buggy for daily use. Beta 2 and Beta 3 have been much more stable and usable.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm assuming that running iOS6 beta is like having an android phone? :D

Oh no he didn't!

Just joking. It runs perfectly for me and very rarely get any bugs.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I'm not going back. Beta 3 is actually very stable. Despite a few minor bugs here and there, it's been great for me for everyday use.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I install the iOS 6 Beta 2 first and cause I went to London for some weeks I put iOS 5 bk on my iPad so I am fully sure there won't will be an mayor issue.
:) Now as soon as I came bk to my Mac at home I put Beta 2 on it and via OTA Beta 3 ( I wanted to see the gear :p )

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I never install the betas on my primary phone. But on my iPad and old phone I have seen no significant issues.

The only real reason to NOT install the beta would be if you use/rely on Maps heavily.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have a spared AT&T iPhone 4.

Installed iOS 6 beta 1, went back to 5.1.1 within a day.
Installed iOS 6 beta 2, went back to 5.1.1 just a day before beta 3 releases.

Now, I'm on 5.1.1 and don't feel like touching it.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I would go back but generally any bugs that are really annoying I can put up with. iOS 5 had some bad ones, but still nothing that necessitated me going back to 4. iOS 3, 4, and 6 so far have been pretty usable off the bat.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
iOS 6 BETA 3 DOWNGRADING to 5.1.1

I've been running iOS 6 BETA 3 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

Even BETA 3 is very buggy; I have a handful of apps today alone that crash upon loading due to the fact that I'm running iOS 6 BETA platform.

Now that I discovered that HBO GO and Showtime apps are crashing upon attempting to play a video, on both my iPhone 4S & iPad, I feel it's the straw that broke the camel's back and am attempting a downgrade.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I installed iOS 6 beta 1 on release. I was on it for about a week and decided to downgrade. Just yesterday I decided to take a stab at beta 3. Must say, I am happy SOME bugs have been sorted out. I will probably stick it out until the GM. I am a little unhappy that the radio feature on Spotify doesn't work, but that's about my biggest app complaint atm.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
iOS 6 beta 1, went back to 5.
buggy, battery life is horrible.

iOS 6 beta 2, went back to 5.
faster, battery life better, but some apps don't work.

iOS 6 beta 3, stable enough, will stay at this.
safari much faster, battery life a bit short, but not as bad as beta 1, apps that don't run on beta 2 now run very well on beta 3, but some apps still crashes, not important apps though.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Consider it buggy when the standard apps are fail/crash. If it's 3rd party, most likely they use deprecated API. It's not fair to judge it buggy if the problem is with 3rd party apps

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I've been running iOS 6 BETA 3 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

Even BETA 3 is very buggy; I have a handful of apps today alone that crash upon loading due to the fact that I'm running iOS 6 BETA platform.

Now that I discovered that HBO GO and Showtime apps are crashing upon attempting to play a video, on both my iPhone 4S & iPad, I feel it's the straw that broke the camel's back and am attempting a downgrade.

Just wanted to share:
I ended up rolling back from iOS 6 BETA 3 to 5.1.1 on both my iPad and iPhone 4S. If you need to do the same, make sure to use a Windows machine when restoring. I noticed my Mac was giving me iTunes errors as if it was blocking the downgrade. No problems on Windows, just put your device in DFU first. Be advised: You cannot restore a backup from iOS 6 onto iOS 5.1.1. This means you'll just need to re-setup your sync preferences & any app data you may have had may be reset (not a problem in my case). The only real annoying part of it that I hate is re-grouping my icons. So tedious and time consuming :eek:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Just installed Beta 3 on my iPad and it is pretty solid. My iPad is mainly leisure, but use it for dev. And luckily, it seems that Xcode 4.3.3 can still use it for development. (I'm absent-minded sometimes, so I might have been on 4.5-DP3 without knowing...).

The only annoyance I have is that Monopoly HD stopped working... But I played to much anyways...

So iOS6 all the way for me.

EDIT: Yes, was absent minded again. Still, 6.0b3 is solid for me so far.

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Just wanted to share:
I ended up rolling back from iOS 6 BETA 3 to 5.1.1 on both my iPad and iPhone 4S. If you need to do the same, make sure to use a Windows machine when restoring. I noticed my Mac was giving me iTunes errors as if it was blocking the downgrade. No problems on Windows, just put your device in DFU first. Be advised: You cannot restore a backup from iOS 6 onto iOS 5.1.1. This means you'll just need to re-setup your sync preferences & any app data you may have had may be reset (not a problem in my case). The only real annoying part of it that I hate is re-grouping my icons. So tedious and time consuming :eek:

I've had no problems restoring my iOS 6 device back to down to 5.1.1 on my mac. Went straight through. No hiccups.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Never

You can never go back. Being an early adopter applies to both hardware and software....

Always at the head of the queue when it comes to tech, you've got to ride the defect wave!!!!!

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Been using beta 3 on my iPad and iPhone 4S while on vacation for the last week. iPad as primary computer. Still able to check work emails and do everything I need to do with no issues. Using a stand-alone Garmin GPS while driving, and my iPhone 4S as backup. So far, the 4s is on par with or better than the Garmin. Giving pretty much the same routes and the iPhone is usually a little faster on the turns. Maps app is FAR better than Google Maps has been IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.